The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I agree. It looks nothing like my magnificent wallpaper.

(A bit of background now: I use this room I was in as my workshop/studio/smoking room. It was, in fact, my grand-father's smoking room back in the days. It's an Italian styled fixture that is called a Taberna (a tavern). We've decided to leave it as is, with all the kitsch. Mind you, the rest of the flat was as ugly, if not more, but we've removed the wallpaper and started painting it in a nice sorbet hue. When Gefan was here, it was still as flamboyant as when it was first decorated in 1949. :bjarte: )

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
You're now speaking for the entire Pit, are you? What a dickhead.
Yes I did a poll. We are all in agreement.
We actually are, Steers, you racist genocidal cunt.
Tsk, tsk. "You keep using that word ...."
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Read the history of those population transfers you so effortlessly endorse.
And if you had read more than the headings - if that much - then you would have noted some justification for the argument that, when two populations are like oil and water - like Greece & Turkey, like India and Pakistan, the best solution is frequently to separate them. For example, in that Population transfer article, we have "Population transfer prevented further attacks on minorities in the respective states while Nansen was awarded a Nobel Prize for Peace."
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Then read some more, outside of the cesspool of lies that is Wikipedia.
You should probably learn to put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion - much less likely to wind up with egg on your face. For instance, from the LiveScience article titled How Accurate Is Wikipedia? we have:
In 2005, the peer-reviewed journal Nature asked scientists to compare Wikipedia's scientific articles to those in Encyclopaedia Britannica—"the most scholarly of encyclopedias," according to its own Wiki page. The comparison resulted in a tie; both references contained four serious errors among the 42 articles analyzed by experts.

And last year, a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology found that Wikipedia had the same level of accuracy and depth in its articles about 10 types of cancer as the Physician Data Query, a professionally edited database maintained by the National Cancer Institute.

The self-described "free encyclopedia that anyone can edit" has fared similarly well in most other studies comparing its accuracy to conventional encyclopedias, including studies by The Guardian, PC Pro, Library Journal, the Canadian Library Association, and several peer-reviewed academic studies. ....
Maybe you just get your knickers in a twist when the facts don't comport all that well with your preconceived and erroneous notions?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

successful was the date
and she could hardly wait
at least until, by clothing hill,
she spotted my pinker and haidt

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

That kid sounds awesome. Honorary Pit member if ever there was one.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

I had blocked this from my memory, but here is PZ speaking at TAM 9, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/HZDtXc0.jpg

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Already posted pics of Ban and Karen being fine together at TAM 2012.
Here they are in 2011...basically one year after the date she claimed he assaulted her.
First is a workshop with the cast of Monster Talk...Karen, Ben and Blake
http://i.imgur.com/2z3VJSb.jpg

Next is a panel with Karen, Ben, Joe Nickell and Banachek
http://i.imgur.com/E7IZb9J.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I always used to be slightly annoyed by Joe Nickell's neutral (at least in public) stance on religious claims.
But now, I would be happy if others (hint, hint) at least aspired to his standards of professionalism.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:IIRC, Strawkins did more than a few hidden jems. I'd search them up but spoons, I ain't got em now...
Strawkins doesn't always put his stuff into the archives, which can make them hard to find.

Plus, one more to consider, please -- Brive! He's the only one who does satire and infographics. Useful infographics are hard to do.
Agreed! Although Brive is arguably deserving of a special badge. But a badge he should have.
http://i.imgur.com/h7IVpas.jpg

The Pit is reward in spades.

I'm still coming down from this morning though. My loud voice and the crypt like house left me locked in and very 'special' indeed as I stupidly grinned my way through in enforced virtual silence. Still enjoying the (albeit one sided) conversation of course.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive: I'm pretty sure I saw your avatar fly by in the hangout. Were you there at all?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Pitchguest wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I have been railroaded into Zoolander2. I do not have high hopes.
Why Zoolander 2?
Why indeed. Family peer pressure.

Penelope Cruz has a 'sexy fight' with another woman. That made me crack a contented smile.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Really? wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Really? wrote:Let me see if I get this straight. This Hordelet expects "Tourette's" to excuse xir from criticism of someone else on another web site? So why are they mad at Dawkins or anyone else? Sounds like ableism to me.

Tourette's will make you abuse people over the Internet much the same way having a stammer will make you t-t-t-type the s-s-s-same key repeatedly.
I hadn't thought FAGGOT COCKSUCKER of it that way. We need to understand CLITPIERCING MONKEY DICKSUCK that those who have Tourette's have no way of controlling their PZ'S DICK CHEEZ AND CARRIER'S CUM ON A COMMUNION WAFER SWALLOWED BY ROOSH V outbursts while typing things online.

MAKE YOGURT OUT OF ZVAN'S PUSSY YEAST.
That was CUNT very funny.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:
Sunder wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I have been railroaded into Zoolander2. I do not have high hopes.
You have one chance. Show up early and buy every ticket so it's sold out when your friends get there, and hope there's not a second showing.
It makes me so sad. The first was such a good fucking movie.
I tried for deadpool but was vetoed by my wife. It appears I have to re-earn Marvel hall passes.

Zoo was almost, but not quite, bad enough to be good.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ almost condescended to like Deadpool. As always his hatred of his fellow man spoilt it for him.

http://i.imgur.com/IEIJlIM.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ almost condescended to like Deadpool. As always his hatred of his fellow man spoilt it for him.

So PZ criticizes those who do 'Bigfoot Skepticism' but feels fine turning his own blog in to a movie review site.

sure, whatever...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Brive: I'm pretty sure I saw your avatar fly by in the hangout. Were you there at all?
Go on rub it in.

I was there in full RL glory. The silent stoic one with headphones wandering around the house, laptop in hand getting coffees. I eventually waved in a pathetic fashion (so as not to disturb real conversation) and left.

Yes. I saw the wallpaper .....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive1987 wrote:
Yes. I saw the wallpaper .....
Rule #1: Nobody Talks About The Wallpaper.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Ape+lust wrote: Roy Rogers Overture

http://imgur.com/P2gTO5A.jpg
Congratulations Apey, I laughed so loudly at that one, I'm slightly worried my neighbours might have heard me.

feathers

Post by feathers »

BarnOwl wrote:The dogs wanted to go outside, and the birds were tapping on the window because the feeders were empty. I swear they do that ... it's kinda creepy.
You'd better comply. These people forgot.

https://mljohnson4204.files.wordpress.c ... -birds.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh, BarnOwl:

I have to say you look much younger than I imagined.

Am I allowed to say that out loud?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

feathers wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:The dogs wanted to go outside, and the birds were tapping on the window because the feeders were empty. I swear they do that ... it's kinda creepy.

*snip image*
Which reminds me of a day years ago, while I was still living in a very small bedroom on the fifth floor, a crow woke me up by tapping its beak on the single window for about 10 minutes. Skeptic or not, I still wondered if it was an omen of some kind. Turns out it wasn't, or if it was, it was pretty fucking advanced because it would be at least 7 years until my unhappy meeting with a trampoline.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
feathers wrote:

*snip image*
Which reminds me of a day years ago, while I was still living in a very small bedroom on the fifth floor, a crow woke me up by tapping its beak on the single window for about 10 minutes. Skeptic or not, I still wondered if it was an omen of some kind. Turns out it wasn't, or if it was, it was pretty fucking advanced because it would be at least 7 years until my unhappy meeting with a trampoline.
Are you sure it was a crow?
'Nevermore'

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:Did Steersman join the hangout? If he did, does he talk the way he writes?
Don't be silly, they would still be there even now.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:A week ago, after Sargon's livestream, I expressed my concern-- that only explicitly-SJW lefties would be held-accountable by pitizens participating, while the SJWs' more-moderate bedfellows (such as ordinary feminists) would get a pass.
It depends on what you call "ordinary feminist". Who are they, what are their aims, how do they act?
Kirbmarc responded, amply defending his comments made during the livestream, but also expanding on those comments: by invoking Paul Elam's infamous essay which argued that, as a juror, Elam would vote against convicting any man accused of raping a woman, regardless of the apparent merits of the case, due to the systemic anti-male bias built-in to the current US legal system in rape cases.
The question is about whether there is a systemic anti-male bias built-in to the current US legal system, and whether the extent of this bias justifies an extreme solution such as systemic jury nullification.
Invoking Elam was an irrelevant side-step, away from the point-in-question: whether moderate feminists and lefties are enablers of their SJW kin. But I willingly took the tangent-bait.
It wasn't an irrelevant side step. You argued that the only way for a feminist to be in favor of equal rights was to "literally be an MRA". I expressed my doubts about this, by pointing out what a prominent MRA believes to be a rational choice.
Kirbmarc's response wasn't entirely name-calling, but the alternatives Kirbmarc proposed-- such as reminding the jury that media could be biased against a man accused of rape-- or defense attorneys taking extra care to tell jurors about unreliable prosecution expert witnesses (assuming a judge would allow the trial to be put-on-trial in that manner) did not address the other anti-male biases which Elam mentioned, such as the application of Rape Shield Laws.
I contend that the solution to the "anti-male bias" (which I think is more likely to be an "anti-accused" bias) is too extreme, because if applied consistently it would end up making people who are guilty of rape impossible to convict. I don't think that the situation is so dire that it requires such an extreme solution.
I sought to address Kirbmarc's empty name-calling and show that Elam's position is not so patently-absurd as Kirbmarc contends. My longest post was in reply to welch, but as the person who changed-the-subject to Elam's essay-- in such dismissive terms-- the sceptic's burden is most on Kirbmarc to refute what I wrote. I haven't seen any-such reply.
Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply before.
Here in nyc, for over a decade, hundreds of thousands of men were stopped & searched by police without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. They were systematically arrested for minor offenses such as carrying marijuana, a pot pipe, or a boxcutter used at work. Any outstanding warrants were also cause for arrest-- at a time when the 'Broken Window Theory' was used to treat infractions such as pubic urination, open container, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk, jumping the subway turnstyle, and literal jaywalking-- as worthy of high fines and jailtime. The Broken Window citations were overwhelmingly directed at males.
You seem to think that males were targeted as a gender, instead of this result being simply a side effect of focusing on crimes which are more likely to be committed by men.
Many who are capable of seeing the discrimination inherent in 90% of the "randomly" stopped citizens being non-white-- nonetheless seem incapable of concern that 100% of the citizens were explicitly profiled for being male. The NYPD policy was to only search males, for fear of sexual harassment and assault charges if random women were frisked.
There's also the issue that men are more likely to commit reckless behavior. One of the signs of male depression is reckless behavior, and men are in general more prone to explicitly violate laws and social norms, to engage in violent behavior, to drink in a social context (female alcoholism is generally associated with drinking alone, away from sources of danger or from the public).

The minor (and often victimless) crimes which were subject to draconian punishment are committed overwhelmingly by men. Public urination, for example, is (for a series of social and even physiological reasons) overwhelmingly more likely to be committed by men than by women.

In general evolutionary psychology and socio-biology have proposed many explanations for different rates of aggressiveness and anti-social behavior (which are likely to lead to crimes and misdemeanor) between men and women. Upper-body strength is lower in women than in men. Men have evolved to be more aggressive and competitive. The "Male Warrior" hypothesis suggests that human psychology has been shaped by conflicts between groups and by competition for resources.

There is evidence that in primates (chimpanzees, gorillas) males are more aggressive and reckless, as well.

Regardless of why it happens, men are more likely to engage in violent, anti-social, reckless behavior. This doesn't mean that women are more ethical than men, but that they resolve conflicts and frustrations in ways (social ostracism, gossiping, stigmatization) that are less likely to lead to crime, or at least to the crimes targeted by "Broken Window" laws.
There is an anti-male disparity at every stage of the criminal justice system-- from who gets profiled, who gets searched, who gets a warning vs. a citation, who is arrested on-site, who is released from the precinct vs. 'put through the system' (fingerprinted, photographed, and jailed until put before an arraignment judge), who is released on their own recognizance vs. requiring bail or left waiting in jail without bail. There's a disparity in amount of bail demanded, the conditions in jail, the harshness of sentences, the size of plea bargain offered, whether the convicted person is offered alternatives such as public service hours, or treatment programs, in lieu of imprisonment. There are currently activist efforts to abolish prison altogether... for women. Because any woman convicted of drunk driving or drowning her baby... must be a victim, forced to do such a thing by the patriarchy. Only boys & men are to be held responsible for their own actions.
I'd like to see some evidence of this systemic disparity, compared to the size of the criminal population for the same crime. It's important to keep in mind that difference might arise from the different nature of the crimes themselves, and from the more pro-social tactics employed by women guilty of crime compared to men (less likely to be confrontational, less likely to resist arrest, etc.).
This discriminatory environment has a compound-interest effect, so that a male & female with identical criminal behaviors appear to be a criminal with a long rap sheet & an innocent citizen, respectively. Long before a man finds himself on trial for rape, he has already been sorted into a guilty category, to be used as evidence against his character at trial.
Again, it'd be interesting to see some evidence of this. There's also the issue that men, for a series of reasons, are overwhelmingly more likely to commit rape. Rape of adult men (and often of minors, too, especially if it's statutory rape) by women is often played for comedy and dismissed by society. This is because for a series of physiological reasons women are far less likely to commit rape.
Or threat of trial: the accused man will inevitably be offered a harsh plea-- perhaps 5 years in prison, if he agrees to spare the state the hassle of proving their case against him, vs. 25-to-life if he takes his chances on justice.
Is this a male problem or plea bargaining problem? Plea bargaining is essentially legalized blackmail. It's useful to save taxpayer money, but not so much for providing a fair trial, especially in the case of serious crimes.
Atop all this comes the gender-specific legislation... of the Duluth Model and the Violence Against Women Act; in which a woman reporting herself a victim is mandated to be assigned a specially-trained advocate social services worker, but a male can be discouraged from filing an official report-- and frequently treated as-if he is the perpetrator. The lists of phone numbers on police documents provide phone numbers for female victim's services-- and programs for male perpetrators. The social workers were trained in institutions which teach Patriarchy Theory and Privilege and 1in4 rape statistics, as scientific fact. Also 'Believe the Women' and 'All Men Are Rapists'. Shelters for male victims don't exist. A male who takes his children away from an abusive woman-- triggers an Amber Alert for abduction.
Yes, these are very important issues, which stem from social, biological and physiological factors. I think that activism to raise awareness on these issues is much more effective that systemic jury nullification (key word being "systemic").
New York recently passed a 'Rape Is Rape' law, which discarded the former hierarchy of sexual-assault offenses, greater & lesser, in favor of all such charges now being officially deemed forms of Rape.
This is also an issue which is best countered by activism, by making people realize that groping and rape aren't the same thing, then by systemic jury nullification in all cases.
Also of note are the Rape Shield Laws which sacrifice a defendant's right to face his accuser and gather a robust defense-- in favor of hiding the accusser's identity and relevant sexual history.
These laws were created because of history of promiscuous or simply non-monogamous sexual behavior had been used as evidence that the sexual encounter in question was consensual. This was due to the diffused prejudice that non-monogamous women were "asking for it" (while non-monogamous men were only expressing their nature). This stemmed from various reasons, including the issue of attributing paternity of children (which is now a moot point thanks to DNA tests).

While there is the potential for misuse of these laws, the intent behind their creation was to counter an irrational social bias. They should be amended, or corrected, but it's hard not to understand the reasons why the were created in first place.
The rape hysteria on college campuses is well-documented. Would you object to a student-juror in a college kangaroo court-- who refused to participate in the miscarriage of justice... such as the defendant not being allowed legal counsel, or a 51%/preponderance of evidence standard being applied (as mandated by the Obama Administration, rather than the 98%/beyond a reasonable doubt.
College campuses shouldn't deal with criminal matters, period. A better way to address this problem is to campaign for the end of campus courts in general. College professors aren't well equipped to decide on matters which are best left to the justice system.
The college campus lunacy is spreading. California and New York have made 'yes means yes' affirmative consent a state law, without a shred of concern that the standard is only applied to whether a female said yes, or had a beer, or 'felt' obligated to have sex. The same Mary Koss who spawned the 1-in-4 rape college rape stat in the 1980s now advises the FBI & CDC that males forced to penetrate females should not be counted as 'rape' victims, but should be categorized in a separate 'other' category. The number of males reporting having been forced to penetrate-- is higher than the number of females reporting being penetrated. No 'rape is rape', if you're male.
I find this rather hard to believe. Any evidence for this claim?

I
start this discussion knowing that males can't expect equal treatment under the law for littering or sitting on a park bench after dusk, so it's no great leap to extend that to rape charges. I discard much of Paul Elam's essay as irrelevant (rather than incorrect), but his central assertion still stands. I don't know how welch arrived at the notion that a juror must be 100% sure the specific case being tried has been tainted as illegitimate. The appearance of an unfair trial-- REASONABLE DOUBT-- is sufficient. Better 10 guilty men walk free, than one innocent suffer.
I actually agree that if a juror as a reasonable doubt that a trial is unfair they shouldn't convict. What you dismiss as "irrelevant" and I call "loony" is the idea that jury nullification should be used systematically.

If, as a juror, someone has reasonable doubt that a specific trial is unfair I can understand why they might not convict the defendant. I'm not against activism which raises awareness of certain issues. I'm strongly against the idea of a systematic use of jury nullification in all cases of rape.

I also don't think that the discrimination is due to an anti-male bias built-in in the justice system as it is due to some social norms which ultimately stem from physiological and biological reasons.

Of course lunatic SJW activism must be countered. But doing it in an equally gender politics-based, extremist and frankly insane way is incredibly counterproductive.

feathers

Post by feathers »

HoneyWagon wrote:Before I forget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywagon
Jesus Christ. There are things that we are best left ignorant of :shock:

Learning Danish, I came to know that 'day renovation' is the term for garbage collection. Of course I then started to wonder if the term 'night renovation' also existed and if so, what it might mean. It did indeed exist in the past, and for its meaning I refer to 'honeywagon'.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ almost condescended to like Deadpool. As always his hatred of his fellow man spoilt it for him.

Myers is a bad feminist. How dares he like such a violent move? Doesn't he know that celebrating male aggression leads to male aggression?

Didn't he get Anita Sarkeesian's memo? ;)

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Probably Ninja'd, but Jenny McDerp-Mott has doubled down on the "Armoured Skeptic is a rapist" claim:

[youtube]QLLbaYeZrDo[/youtube]

She's insane.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Probably Ninja'd, but Jenny McDerp-Mott has doubled down on the "Armoured Skeptic is a rapist" claim:

She's insane.
Nah she's just a shitty human being.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Ugh, can you link instead of embedding next time? That face is horrifying.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Probably Ninja'd, but Jenny McDerp-Mott has doubled down on the "Armoured Skeptic is a rapist" claim:

She's insane.
http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/266940/u ... wiftly.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Well, the inaugural tour of the Jazzabelles finished last night in Armagh. I had a great time. The state of abject terror I was in up to the opening night dissipated quite quickly.

I had three-and-a-half supporting roles. Biggest was as the boss who fired one of the girls from her job as a cleaner for singing on the job, and I made him progressively more patronising with every show, to the point where I was getting sharp intakes of breath from the audience. Obviously I credit the Pit for honing my misogyny. Then I was the rival manager who tried to poach her from the group, who I basically played as the Devil trying to tempt her from the path of righteousness, mostly to tense silence. The rest of the cast seemed to think I made him exceptionally creepy. Again, thanks to the Pit.

Those were the speaking parts. The third was one of four religious nuts protesting at the Jazzabelles' record launch, which was a singing part, and I gave it my best Ian Paisley, and managed to sing the lines "Down with glitz and glamour/ Down with paint and spray/ Down with plunging necklines/ Down with lingerie" with a straight face. The half was a barman in two scenes, in one of which I sang some backing vocals. And I moved furniture between scenes. And that's my theatrical CV. The poster I drew appeared in quite a few local news outlets, but the fuckers usually cropped my signature and url out.

We sold out the venues in Antrim, Lisburn and Armagh, and had excellent crowds in Omagh and Downpatrick. They all got the jokes, hated the villains and enjoyed the music, although Armagh took a wee while to warm up - we were slightly concerned early on that they might be offended by some of the humour, but thankfully that wasn't the case. The gay blackmail plot and the religious protest didn't phase them at all, and "It's Hard to be a Man", the song in which Vince, the group's manager, reveals his sexuality went down really well, as did the protest song "Get Out of Our Town".

The rest of the cast, and the band, were brilliant. Beccy Henderson in particular I think has a bright future. She can sing, she can act (her scenes with her evil blackmailing husband were rivetting), she can dance, she has lots of poise and stage presence and she's very pretty. And I'm probably old enough to be her dad. Here she is recording stripped down arrangements of a couple of the songs for a local radio station:

[youtube]73rnH7u1fJ0[/youtube]

[youtube]HC7PG-WjlQc[/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

feathers wrote:

Learning Danish, I came to know that 'day renovation' is the term for garbage collection. Of course I then started to wonder if the term 'night renovation' also existed and if so, what it might mean. It did indeed exist in the past, and for its meaning I refer to 'honeywagon'.
One of my grandmothers used to tell me that when she was a child (1890's midlands of UK) she could hear the creak of the night soil cart as it went round at night emptying the privies.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, BarnOwl:

[youtube]4TYv2PhG89A[/youtube]

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

She's insane.
That horse just took the lead in this years running of the Cunties.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, BarnOwl:

I don't mind your saying it. :D Can't take credit for it though - it's genetic. Or maybe it's all the lanolin from the wool yarn and roving in my house.

I joke that one of the neighbor kids is 9-going-on-55, but I'm that way myself. Character and mindset have always been older than chronological age - also misplaced temporally by a century or so.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Wow, lot's of crazy around at the moment, especially Jenny McDermott, she's quite a piece of work.

This story is doing the rounds too, about a SJW 25 year old Yelp employee that thought it would be a good idea to write a scathing letter to her CEO condemning her awful working conditions and inadequate pay. The entitlement is strong with this one, and as seems to be increasingly common, all her problems are somebody else's fault. It won't come as a surprise to find out that she has since been relieved of her position, but that should make her happy right? I'm sure there will be a long queue of blue chip employers waiting to snap her up now, I mean how better to advertise yourself than this masterpiece?

ffs

Post by ffs »

Aneris wrote:The term "Freedom Feminism" makes me cringe, though.
True

I thought she was at the center of 'equity feminist' vs 'gender feminist' and had generally adopted that term?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I'm glad it went well Paddy, sounds like a lot of fun.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

I'd love to see PZ watch a movie with a black audience. I'd love even more for him to turn around and say something, anything, to one of them.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

I'll say one thing for that "36 questions women have for men" Buzzfeed video. It's a masterpiece of trolling. Every time I go on Youtube there's another eight and a half million videos responding to it.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Sounds as if your theatrical CV is off to a great start, paddybrown!

Is Armagh particularly conservative?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

I don't think so. Northern Ireland in general is pretty conservative, but people who go to the theatre tend not to be so much.

Couch

Post by Couch »

screwtape wrote:
feathers wrote:

One of my grandmothers used to tell me that when she was a child (1890's midlands of UK) she could hear the creak of the night soil cart as it went round at night emptying the privies.
The last suburb I lived in, Newtown, in inner-suburban Sydney, had a lot of architectural and urban planning reminders of the time of night soil, and its removal. Most of the housing (Victorian Terraces) was built in the period early 1870s through to the economic and property crash of the early 1890s.

The few remaining original properties still have the backyard toilet ('dunny') down the very rear of the property which were mostly converted to flush toilets and connected to the sewerage mains in the 1950s. Prior to that they had an open toilet bowl which sat over a tray. At dawn the night soil collectors would come and remove the tra at and dump its contents in their cart. Access was had from a narrow rear lane wide enough for that cart.

In the few developments where rear lane access wasn't feasible, a small passageway, about 1 metre wide, would be left from the street at one end of a group of terraces, and return along the rear of the row of terraces, permitting access for the night-sooil man.

These passageways are known as 'dunny lanes' and were a form of common property jointly owned by proprietors of each terraces in equal shares. A friend once asked me for professional assistance in my capacity as a solicitor to draw up an agreement between the owners of a group of terraces, of which he was part, to dissolve the joint ownership of the lane so it could be subsumed into each property, thereby enlarging everyone's yard by a metre of so (and the end-terrace by a metre along the side as well).

I was glad to help and found the task interesting and charged them only a token fee, plus disbursements - mates rates, as we say in the trade. Lo and behold word got around and my phone rang hot with persons of ever-more-distant and dubious acquaintenace calling upon me to 'do their dunny lane', a phrase which to this day in my mind carries splendid possibility.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

paddybrown wrote:I don't think so. Northern Ireland in general is pretty conservative, but people who go to the theatre tend not to be so much.
Up until now, I was just supposing you made those town names up. A brief google search shows they're real places.

Very cool that everything is going well so far. Kudos!

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:Can someone explain how Aron Ra is one of the sane ones? At least his appearance with Atheism Ireland will be interesting, but why would such a devoted feminist and crusader for social justice want to have anything to do with Mick Nugent, Witch of the Year?
Shouldn't Michael Nugent by now not receive the rank of Sorcerer?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:Roy Rogers Overture

Let this be a warning to those having their picture taken at a skeptic meething: never hold your arms in a position that makes Ape+Lust's life too enjoyable.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Oglebart wrote:This story is doing the rounds too, about a SJW 25 year old Yelp employee that thought it would be a good idea to write a scathing letter to her CEO condemning her awful working conditions and inadequate pay. The entitlement is strong with this one, and as seems to be increasingly common, all her problems are somebody else's fault. It won't come as a surprise to find out that she has since been relieved of her position, but that should make her happy right? I'm sure there will be a long queue of blue chip employers waiting to snap her up now, I mean how better to advertise yourself than this masterpiece?

So, English major pulling in minimum wage for the area notorious for high rents.

She choose the degree.
She choose the minimum wage job.
She choose to work in a city that is expensive to live in.
She choose to get her own apartment spending 85% of her income, instead of getting a place with room mates.

All of the granola Bay Area people are busy making sure that no one builds apartment buildings which would help lower the cost of rents.

That said, why on earth open up a minimum wage call center in a city where people have trouble affording a place to live. I think that it is insane that start ups opt for San Francisco.

feathers

Post by feathers »

paddybrown wrote:The rest of the cast, and the band, were brilliant. Beccy Henderson in particular I think has a bright future. She can sing, she can act (her scenes with her evil blackmailing husband were rivetting), she can dance, she has lots of poise and stage presence and she's very pretty. And I'm probably old enough to be her dad. Here she is recording stripped down arrangements of a couple of the songs for a local radio station:

[youtube]73rnH7u1fJ0[/youtube]
Yet the hitparade is filled with the like of Beyonce. I rest my case.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Couch wrote: One of my grandmothers used to tell me that when she was a child (1890's midlands of UK) she could hear the creak of the night soil cart as it went round at night emptying the privies.
The last suburb I lived in, Newtown, in inner-suburban Sydney, had a lot of architectural and urban planning reminders of the time of night soil, and its removal. Most of the housing (Victorian Terraces) was built in the period early 1870s through to the economic and property crash of the early 1890s.

The few remaining original properties still have the backyard toilet ('dunny') down the very rear of the property which were mostly converted to flush toilets and connected to the sewerage mains in the 1950s. Prior to that they had an open toilet bowl which sat over a tray. At dawn the night soil collectors would come and remove the tra at and dump its contents in their cart. Access was had from a narrow rear lane wide enough for that cart.

In the few developments where rear lane access wasn't feasible, a small passageway, about 1 metre wide, would be left from the street at one end of a group of terraces, and return along the rear of the row of terraces, permitting access for the night-sooil man.

These passageways are known as 'dunny lanes' and were a form of common property jointly owned by proprietors of each terraces in equal shares. A friend once asked me for professional assistance in my capacity as a solicitor to draw up an agreement between the owners of a group of terraces, of which he was part, to dissolve the joint ownership of the lane so it could be subsumed into each property, thereby enlarging everyone's yard by a metre of so (and the end-terrace by a metre along the side as well).

I was glad to help and found the task interesting and charged them only a token fee, plus disbursements - mates rates, as we say in the trade. Lo and behold word got around and my phone rang hot with persons of ever-more-distant and dubious acquaintenace calling upon me to 'do their dunny lane', a phrase which to this day in my mind carries splendid possibility.[/quote]

Interesting! Dunny Lane would work as a 'pit nym.

In Dunny Lane there is a night soil man with photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to know
It's where the people all go to go
Stop and drop a load ...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Quote bork, sorry. :bjarte:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

paddybrown wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Roy Rogers Overture

Congratulations Apey, I laughed so loudly at that one, I'm slightly worried my neighbours might have heard me.
Thank you, Paddy! I could see Peez cadging rides off women when no one is looking, like an R Crumb without talent or honesty.

Hey, if you don't mind a suggestion about what your next role should be.... :D

http://imgur.com/w6mHAdp.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Couch wrote:I was glad to help and found the task interesting and charged them only a token fee, plus disbursements - mates rates, as we say in the trade. Lo and behold word got around and my phone rang hot with persons of ever-more-distant and dubious acquaintenace calling upon me to 'do their dunny lane', a phrase which to this day in my mind carries splendid possibility.
Dunny Lane, isn't that also a song by the Beatles?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

deLurch wrote:
granola Bay
That's the bomber that dropped Little Boy on Hiroshima, yes?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

(I know it's the Enola Gay. please nobody kill my joke)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

feathers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Roy Rogers Overture

Let this be a warning to those having their picture taken at a skeptic meething: never hold your arms in a position that makes Ape+Lust's life too enjoyable.
Hahaha!! True! It's obscene how much fun it can be.

Example - Peez will regret this stupid Khrushchev pose if anyone ever weds these two pics :D

http://imgur.com/SGhrmUv.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

She's insane.
What exactly is her point?
Armored Skeptic is, what, 29? 30?
Shoe-on-head is 23?

If they have a relationship then that is statutory rape according to McDermott?

She is a sad pathetic narcissistic nutter.

The internet needs to develop immunity to these fuckwits. Instead we get individuals who should be considered nobodies (like her, Poppy, Elyse, Watson, Surly Amy, Svan etc) getting treated like they are something special.

Outed1TimeAsGrey!

Post by Outed1TimeAsGrey! »

rayshul wrote:Further to our discussion about harm and harm to people's career when they're online -

Here is a SJW attack in progress on someone whose career is online.

https://twitter.com/redbarradio

The notable differences between this and people telling SJWs they are wrong on the internet (thus affecting their careers, and positively affecting their Patreons), is that a SJW seeks to STOP the person producing content by banning them or deleting their work from where it is held.

If someone was to harm Sarkeesian or any of the others in a valid way, they would physically STOP them from being able to work by stopping their access to these tools.

Again, I see that talking smack on the internet and insulting people is not true harrassment, it's talking smack on the internet. Critics should be critiqued, mocked, etc. Whatever. If things go a step further than YES that's harrassment - but that step is about banning them from the internet through censorship.

My 2c, YMMV
So what is 'harassment' ?

I read the Crown vs Gregory Allen Elliott judgement. It appears that in Canada 'harassment' just means 'annoying' more then once and the decision is in the mind of the 'victim'.

So, as far as I can tell, if you dislike my post, and I post a 2nd time, you can decide that you are being harassed and from that moment on I am harassing you.

Harassment appears to be legal in Canada, but if you then declare that you are 'frightened' by my comments, I could be arrested.

The trial then addresses
1) Did the recipient feel harassed?
2) Did the sender know this? or
3)should the sender have guessed it?
4)Did the recipient say to the police "I am frightened"?
5)Was it reasonable to be frightened?

In summary we all harass and are harassed constantly, but Canada can put you on trial to determine whether it was frightening.

Anyone know what the definition of harassment is in other jurisdictions?

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

QLLbaYeZrDo

She's insane.
What exactly is her point?
Armored Skeptic is, what, 29? 30?
Shoe-on-head is 23?

If they have a relationship then that is statutory rape according to McDermott?

She is a sad pathetic narcissistic nutter.

The internet needs to develop immunity to these fuckwits. Instead we get individuals who should be considered nobodies (like her, Poppy, Elyse, Watson, Surly Amy, Svan etc) getting treated like they are something special.
Shoe is 24, and she only met Armoured Skeptic last year. There is no way they could have had a sexual relationship when Shoe was only 17.
Like I said, McDermott is insane.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

deLurch wrote:
Oglebart wrote:This story is doing the rounds too, about a SJW 25 year old Yelp employee that thought it would be a good idea to write a scathing letter to her CEO condemning her awful working conditions and inadequate pay. The entitlement is strong with this one, and as seems to be increasingly common, all her problems are somebody else's fault. It won't come as a surprise to find out that she has since been relieved of her position, but that should make her happy right? I'm sure there will be a long queue of blue chip employers waiting to snap her up now, I mean how better to advertise yourself than this masterpiece?

<snip>
She choose to get her own apartment spending 85% of her income, instead of getting a place with room mates.

<snip>
That brought me to a screeching halt as well. Everybody knows about the 30% rule of thumb (she even mentions it in her post). I don't know how she even got the lease. My apartment in Brooklyn is cheaper than that and there's no way the landlord would have let me in making her salary.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Apple is so scared of being called islamophobic, that they are refusing to unlock a terrorist murderer's phone for the FBI, under the guise of protecting customer privacy and it being a "hard case" (yeah, sure it is!). This video needs thumbing down.

Why Apple is Rejecting The FBI’s Request for Universal Access to iPhones
[youtube]K0m_zbDitlY[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
SK26 retweeted this :D

http://imgur.com/38zCe7s.png
I could die from anaphylaxis, and I think this is hilarious.