The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Keating wrote:My internet has just been shaped. I had a lot of hope on the NBN coming through.
NBN?
Keating is probably down to 28k - so ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... nd_Network

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

I think he is, but who knows. I would think after what he has gone through over the week, especially apparently what has happened in the past 24 hours if I understand his timeline would have him rethink gamergate, but I'm sure he hasn't.

Related to his transblasphemer article, he links to:
The videos are interesting, even more interesting in my youtube is the many related detransitioning/transition regret videos google puts up in the right sidebar.

I'm not sure what to think now, maybe this whole transgender thing may not be the solid factual 100% certain stuff I've been told, or that the Annas and Zinnias et al have been yelling at Singal.

Maybe the doctors should be told. (At least, I wish someone had shown these to the idiots that "treated" a relative of mine. Though who am I kidding, it wouldn't have moved them beyond their agenda one iota.)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Good god, Steersman has started up with "nigger" and Chris Rock over at Nugent's. Won't somebody change his programming? Please?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:This comment came from Mano Singham's blog. MR really hates Merkins! :shock:

Marcus Ranum says

February 15, 2016 at 1:01 pm

And all the money we spent, and all the men and women we lost.

What is conspicuously missing from that lament? Oh, yeah, all the fucking people we fucking killed.

It makes my head explode when some asshole sanctimoniously admits that yeah the empire lost some of its hired killers and sure spent a lot on ammunition and gasoline doing it – and they fucking wrecked to shit people, families, towns, cities, and infrastructure, not to mention setting up years more of the same. Some perspective: Syria is suffering a 9/11 every day and has been for years. Fucking fuck!!!

Things may be about to become a little more interesting in Syria.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Brive1987 wrote:You can always dope them with Phenergan ......

May have been ninj'ed - but following the twitter link off FtB to Aoife's twitter yeilds a rich vein of butt-hurt.

http://i.imgur.com/rlf9Fm2.jpg
Yes, apologise for overhearing me when I was talking shit about you behind your back.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Gumby wrote:Good god, Steersman has started up with "nigger" and Chris Rock over at Nugent's. Won't somebody change his programming? Please?
Obsolete model, the programming language is so old people have forgotten how to do logical statements within the control structures, plus no more parts available to upgrade. We're stuck with him as is I'm afraid.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
nice one, got a Thunderfoot retweet as well I see.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Fuckin' 2-bit robots.

feathers

Post by feathers »

...and nothing more wrote:Greetings all,

Predominantly a lurker but have decided to venture tentatively out from the shadows. I'd imagine the recent influx of new posters means that complimentary baskets of lynx have run dry, so you may dispense with that aspect of the traditional welcome.
True, that.
( btw, who do I complain to about the edit button ? )
The FTB Executive Committee.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
nice one, got a Thunderfoot retweet as well I see.
Bugger - I might found something to use that didn't do watermarks! :lol:

And h/t the source.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

AndrewV69 wrote:

Like things weren't confusing enough. Pity they didn't do this before Russia got involved.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote: The videos are interesting, even more interesting in my youtube is the many related detransitioning/transition regret videos google puts up in the right sidebar.

I'm not sure what to think now, maybe this whole transgender thing may not be the solid factual 100% certain stuff I've been told, or that the Annas and Zinnias et al have been yelling at Singal.

Maybe the doctors should be told. (At least, I wish someone had shown these to the idiots that "treated" a relative of mine. Though who am I kidding, it wouldn't have moved them beyond their agenda one iota.)
I've been involved with the trans scene for over a decade now and from my experience there are what I would call genuine cases where transition was right and pretty much inevitable for them, and plenty more where transition was most definitely not right, they transitioned for all the wrong reasons and now are either regret cases or just depressed outcasts without any real clue how to behave as any gender.

It's complicated. I'd say the genuine cases are very much in the minority, and those who do transition well are probably living in deep stealth so most people might not even be aware that they're trans at all.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Someone mentioned in a comment that Nugent has been under attack recently. Anyway, the comment over at Nugent's latest entry had a link to this blog and :
As I said at the beginning, Michael has dealt with the smears he has been on the receiving end of by bringing them out in the open and challenging those who have made them, and us to do better. The past number of weeks have seen, not only an escalation in these smears, but an increase in smears coming from within the social activist movement in Ireland, home-grown smears if you will. I have come to the conclusion that there is a campaign not just against Michael, but against Atheist Ireland. In the past few weeks Michael has been smeared as an Islamophobe, a misogynist, a homophobe, a racist, a fascist, a Nazi, a Neo-Nazi and likened to a pro-paedophile rights movement.
So, a smear campaign. Spontaneous or organized behind the scenes by his 'friends' and 'allies'?

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

AndrewV69 wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:This comment came from Mano Singham's blog. MR really hates Merkins! :shock:

Marcus Ranum says

What is conspicuously missing from that lament? Oh, yeah, all the fucking people we fucking killed.

It makes my head explode when some asshole sanctimoniously admits that yeah the empire lost some of its hired killers and sure spent a lot on ammunition and gasoline doing it – and they fucking wrecked to shit people, families, towns, cities, and infrastructure, not to mention setting up years more of the same. Some perspective: Syria is suffering a 9/11 every day and has been for years. Fucking fuck!!!

Trudeau is still planning to bring our planes back but leave some "advisors"? I haven't heard much lately.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So I am reading the My BlackLivesMatter and AltRight Experiences mentioned earlier.
I saw video on July 17, 2014 of Eric Garner pleading for his life as NYPD officers strangled and restrained him. No one assisted him during the seven minutes it took for an ambulance to arrive.
My own theory about why there was no uproar about Garner was because he was selling cigarettes. Quite frankly any outrage about that death was legitimate.

Wait cigarettes? 60% of cigarettes sold in New York are smuggled: report
The report said that tobacco smuggling and the tax rate have risen practically in tandem since 2006. The New York State tax on cigarettes has risen 190% since that time, as the rate of smuggling increased 170%.
This bears out a report issued last month by the New York Association of Convenience Stores, estimating that "chronic cigarette-tax evasion" deprives the state of at least $1.7 billion in tax revenue and 6,700 jobs.
My guess is that no one really wanted to make or draw attention between the link between the high taxes on tobacco leading to the death of Garner.

Ferguson on the other hand ... well apart from the race baiting narrative that one of the political parties in the USA seems to be heavily invested in is that "only we can protect you from the evil white man" it the <insert fave conspiracy theory> like the Zimmerman case they had no problem ginning up the outrage. I dunno, were they not capable of doing that in NY as well?

BTW I have no sympathy for Mike Brown in Ferguson. He got what was coming to him as far as I am concerned. Eric Garner did not deserve being killed by the police. I fail to see how that could have been justified at all, never mind quietly dropped and forgotten. That is the major scandal in my opinion.

So why was the focus on Brown and not the extortion the system performs on you if you are poor in the USA? Give me a moment while I try to figure that one out.

Postscript:
So I am a gamer. And retired. So I can and do play online when most people are at work. And I talk to members of my Guild, FC etc. who are online at those times to. Many of them are online at that time of the day because they are not working either. Because they are unemployed. Or disabled, on social security, disabled ex-military vets (Korea, Vietnam). The things they casually mention make it very clear to me that the system of fines, for example traffic offences, quickly spirals into a disproportionate confiscation of whatever meager assets they may have. We are talking about people who are hard pressed to come up with $15 per month to pay their online subscription. Sometimes they are not on for months at a time because they do not have the extra money. But they will get on to TeamSpeak/Ventrilllo to chat even if they have to go to the library to do so.

Whatever man. Fuck. (Die Antwoord)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Biohazard wrote:Crap BarnOwl.

:nin:
But the little ninja guy next to your avatar is hilarious. :lol:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Easy J wrote:They revised it in the last year or two & didn't post the memo visibly enough. Gays are just male now, Muslims are downtrodden, turbaned Che Guevaras, Jews have been demoted to white, & feminists who don't hold the latest correct views on gender identity are crypto-MRAs.
I remember a show by South-African comedian Pieter-Dirk Uys in the eighties, in which he just read a government statement of the number of people who, last year, had changed between the officially recognised racial classes: from Coloured to Native, from Asian to Coloured, White to Native and so on. He only needed to read that report to get the audience dying of laughter.

Now we have the Social Justice Warriors to provide us with black humour, we no longer need the Afrikaners.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Marcus Ranum is a curious fellow.

http://m6.i.pbase.com/o6/58/623858/1/79 ... ilovew.jpg

I remember his slightly pervy photos from years ago, was very surprised to learn he'd drunk the feminist Koolaid.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

HunnyBunny wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Like things weren't confusing enough. Pity they didn't do this before Russia got involved.
They were waiting until Assad was weakened enough for their allies to sweep in and completely dethrone him. Assad got Russia to help him and now he's back in the saddle again, or at least he hopes to.

The real war is between Saudi Arabia (which wants Assad gone) and Iran (which supports Assad). Many Sunnis have sided with the Saudis, while the Shia groups side with Iran. ISIS is a mad dog which both sides are ready to exploit for their goals. Meanwhile Turkey hopes to use the Saudi help to get rid of the Kurds, and Russia has sided with Iran.

The Europeans and Americans have gotten themselves into a quagmire of opposed interests. The US are trying not simply to do Saudi Arabia's bidding this time, and are trying to be more open to Iran. The US are trying to stop the constant oil blackmail of the Saudis. This is why the Saudis are getting their panties in a twist: they're fighting the Shias everywhere (often using terrorism) to keep the control of the OPEc in their hands, and their main allies, the US, are being less than cooperative.

Nobody really gives a shit about fighting ISIS except the Kurds, who are saving their own asses.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Pitchguest wrote:I just started One Punch Man and I couldn't be happier I did. It's SO GOOD. It's a sin they've only made 12 episodes. They need to make a second season. STAT.
Anyway. :nin: Poof.
Are there any English dubs or is it all English subtitles?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

You mean to tell me A BroSoft FantaMorph watermark was by accident?

John D

Post by John D »

Badger3k wrote:
screwtape wrote:If Massimo wants to nail his colours to that mast I'll be happy to shovel him in with the rest of the holier-than-thou crowd of superb human beings who want people condemned to being locked-in after a stroke if they don't have the decency to lose speech faculty or simply die. That is not a sentiment that I could align with in the very smallest degree.
Massimo has always been holier-than-thou, especially when talking about his specialty, philosophy. He always seems to sound superior - not sure if that is just the way he talks or his actual attitude. Maybe it was during the accommodation wars, or the ID debacle, or the Free Will arguments, but some years back he wrote some really stupid and pathetic arguments, can't remember what, and I basically wrote him off. Maybe it's a problem with philosophers who seem to give more weight to things like thought experiments that have no relevance to the real world (his support of Last Thursdayism, saying scientists could say nothing against it).

:bjarte:
I agree. I stopped reading Massimo a few years back when he was writing a great deal on the topic of free will... and I felt that he was so wrong he wasn't even wrong. I am not a big fan of philosophers either....especially the Massimo variety... now Dan Dennett on the other hand. Luv me some Dan Dennett.

feathers

Post by feathers »

HunnyBunny wrote:it's at Tony's place: https://web.archive.org/save/http://www ... mment-6980

also contains this nugget:

http://i.imgur.com/BN4NFKO.jpg
YES, yes yes! Keep on giving!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... istmas.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Gumby wrote:Good god, Steersman has started up with "nigger" and Chris Rock over at Nugent's. Won't somebody change his programming? Please?
To this very day, I still don't know what his position on that is. I just can't get motivated enough to wade through his walls of text on the subject.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote: Is Teflon gay? Never thought of it like that, but now you say so... This is why Real Men nowadays use stainless steel to cook in, right? Or perhaps even cast steel.
A properly seasoned cast iron pan is effectively no-stick. I should know cause I have
...bonked someone in the head with it and it came loose without a spatula? Sounds convincing.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Obsolete model, the programming language is so old people have forgotten how to do logical statements within the control structures, plus no more parts available to upgrade. We're stuck with him as is I'm afraid.
He's written in perl

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
To this very day, I still don't know what his position on that is. I just can't get motivated enough to wade through his walls of text on the subject.
He thinks that using "nigger" as an insult as a white man doesn't mean you're a racist, just like saying "cunt" as an insult as a man doesn't mean you're a misogynist.

The fact that "cunt" hasn't been systematically used as a misogynist slur, while "nigger" HAS been systematically used as a racist slur doesn't matter to him.

The fact that "cunt" is systematically used as an insult against men and women, while "nigger" is almost never used as an insult against whites or non-blacks doesn't matter to him.

To Steersman words ought to have a fixed, non-contextual meaning, and context never matters. This is the same reason why he's so fixated on the precise, non-contextual, fixed meaning of "woman".

Steersman is a language prescriptivist. He wants to erase all the difference in context and social use to turn natural languages into formal languages. Context and society don't matter, what matters in only what the Council on Language declares.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

rayshul wrote:I have to be honest I'm not sure I agree that critical race theory influenced trigger warnings in fan fiction. Fan fiction is written by teenagers (especially then) and I'm not sure they'd have any exposure to that.

Happy to be proven wrong but it feels like a combination of strains from different cultural dramas. You can see how the whole "Islamophobia" shit fits in with the general desire to ban things.

And yes I'm drunk so pfrfrfrfrfrf.
I had wondered where a lot of it comes from, but then I remember what kids are like, and how much they mimic each other's signalling.

Tumblr is a bit like a teenager's bedroom wall. No wonder they're all bonkers.

Every kid goes through this, usually late-teen life socialises it out of you with a bit of friendly friction; now people can maintain an adolescent common-room mentality well into adulthood.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It's really not worth engaging him on the subject. His 'argument' must have been going on 4 years now and he has neither shifted his position nor won a single convert.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shatterface wrote:It's really not worth engaging him on the subject. His 'argument' must have been going on 4 years now and he has neither shifted his position nor won a single convert.
Referring to Steers.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote:
He thinks that using "nigger" as an insult as a white man doesn't mean you're a racist, just like saying "cunt" as an insult as a man doesn't mean you're a misogynist.

The fact that "cunt" hasn't been systematically used as a misogynist slur, while "nigger" HAS been systematically used as a racist slur doesn't matter to him.

The fact that "cunt" is systematically used as an insult against men and women, while "nigger" is almost never used as an insult against whites or non-blacks doesn't matter to him.

To Steersman words ought to have a fixed, non-contextual meaning, and context never matters. This is the same reason why he's so fixated on the precise, non-contextual, fixed meaning of "woman".

Steersman is a language prescriptivist. He wants to erase all the difference in context and social use to turn natural languages into formal languages. Context and society don't matter, what matters in only what the Council on Language declares.
Has he been tested for autism?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Badger3k wrote:
screwtape wrote:If Massimo wants to nail his colours to that mast I'll be happy to shovel him in with the rest of the holier-than-thou crowd of superb human beings who want people condemned to being locked-in after a stroke if they don't have the decency to lose speech faculty or simply die. That is not a sentiment that I could align with in the very smallest degree.
Massimo has always been holier-than-thou, especially when talking about his specialty, philosophy. He always seems to sound superior - not sure if that is just the way he talks or his actual attitude. Maybe it was during the accommodation wars, or the ID debacle, or the Free Will arguments, but some years back he wrote some really stupid and pathetic arguments, can't remember what, and I basically wrote him off. Maybe it's a problem with philosophers who seem to give more weight to things like thought experiments that have no relevance to the real world (his support of Last Thursdayism, saying scientists could say nothing against it).

To be fair to Pigliucci is right about "Last Thursday-ism". The definition of "Last Thursday-ism" is that theoretically the universe could have been created last thursday (or five minutes ago) and just made it look like it was billions of years old. According to "Last Thursday-ism" all evidence which shows that the universe is older than last thursday (or six thousand years ago, or five seconds ago) has been created to look like it does.

"Last Thursday-ism" isn't falsifiable. No evidence can ever prove that it's wrong, because all evidence is dismissed as looking like it falsifies the idea that universe is so young, but actually having been created last Thursday (or five seconds ago).

"Lat Thursay-ism" can't be disproved by science. This doesn't mean we should take it seriously, though, because it's an entirely arbitrary presupposition, just like an invisible pink unicorn or a dragon in your garage which cannot be detected in any way.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:This is you... after Photoshop

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... ck2016.jpg

I ran this through FotoForensics. Looks like her glasses and her broach are the only things not completely blitzed.
She's what we used to call a "four-niner-two"

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

To be fair to Pigliucci is right about "Last Thursday-ism". The definition of "Last Thursday-ism" is that theoretically the universe could have been created last thursday (or five minutes ago) and just made it look like it was billions of years old. According to "Last Thursday-ism" all evidence which shows that the universe is older than last thursday (or six thousand years ago, or five seconds ago) has been created to look like it does.

"Last Thursday-ism" isn't falsifiable. No evidence can ever prove that it's wrong, because all evidence is dismissed as looking like it falsifies the idea that universe is so young, but actually having been created last Thursday (or five seconds ago).

"Lat Thursay-ism" can't be disproved by science. This doesn't mean we should take it seriously, though, because it's an entirely arbitrary presupposition, just like an invisible pink unicorn or a dragon in your garage which cannot be detected in any way.
To be fair... anybody who brings up Last Thursdayism, mind in a jar or talks about a matrix type scenario... is an asshole... possibly a cunt.

Either they don't know that it's unfalsifiable which makes them an asshole, or they know and they are just fucking with you which makes them a cunt.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Has he been tested for autism?

That doesn't matter. Being autistic doesn't make you an asshole who refuses to move on when told to do so multiple times. Not getting social cues is not the same as not understanding people directly telling you.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

While I am sure this comes as no surprise to anybody here, PX is being a fucking dumb hypocrite again. This weekend PZ was gloating on Twitter about how he was celebrating Justice Scalia's death. It turns out that PZ has blogged before about the subject of celebrating death. Two years ago he blasted Hemant Mehta for a guest post that laughed about the accidental death of an Islamic terrorist. In that post, he lectured everone about how all lives I are sacred and how we should never celebrate death. All the usual suspects show up on the comments and agree. I guess in the baboons mind, being a conservative is worse than being a fighter for ISIS.

Here are the links I posted on Twitter:

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

I ran this through FotoForensics. Looks like her glasses and her broach are the only things not completely blitzed.
That went over my head
on an unknown heading.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Massimo Pigliucci wrote:I’m pretty sure Dawkins and other NA’s are in fact guilty of over-focusing on Islam. Then again, there are somewhat good reasons to do so provided by recent history, given that the Christian Crusades and Inquisition have been over for a while.
Interesting that Massimo's grasp of History extends back to 1099, but not 732.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

The Yeti wrote:While I am sure this comes as no surprise to anybody here, PX is being a fucking dumb hypocrite again. This weekend PZ was gloating on Twitter about how he was celebrating Justice Scalia's death. It turns out that PZ has blogged before about the subject of celebrating death. Two years ago he blasted Hemant Mehta for a guest post that laughed about the accidental death of an Islamic terrorist. In that post, he lectured everone about how all lives I are sacred and how we should never celebrate death. All the usual suspects show up on the comments and agree. I guess in the baboons mind, being a conservative is worse than being a fighter for ISIS.

It reminds me of this.

[youtube]KAvDtPz33w0[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The Yeti wrote:While I am sure this comes as no surprise to anybody here, PX is being a fucking dumb hypocrite again. This weekend PZ was gloating on Twitter about how he was celebrating Justice Scalia's death. It turns out that PZ has blogged before about the subject of celebrating death. Two years ago he blasted Hemant Mehta for a guest post that laughed about the accidental death of an Islamic terrorist. In that post, he lectured everone about how all lives I are sacred and how we should never celebrate death. All the usual suspects show up on the comments and agree. I guess in the baboons mind, being a conservative is worse than being a fighter for ISIS.

Nice catch.

dogen

Post by dogen »

AndrewV69 wrote:

Marcus Ranum says

Hang on a sec, I thought Turkey was supporting ISIS?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

dogen wrote:
Turkey drags it's heels dealing with the ISIS threat as long as that threat is killing Kurds and eating away at the Assad regime.

I think to a degree, secretly many nations are of the opinion that as long as ISIS is contained, it's no bad thing as it attracts all the crazies into one place, and how hard would it be to infiltrate? It must be an intelligence goldmine.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Interesting post here about the struggle to control narrative by restrospectively reclassifying people and events. So the Tsarnaev brothers were refugees from the Chechen war until the Paris attack. After the attack, both the Wikipedia and The Washington Post (!) had edits made to published articles about the brothers redacting the term "refugee" in favor of the more obscure term "asylee".

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Something a bit different. A young lad doing an urbex of an empty mall in Southampton, UK.

[youtube]7z2zExfzZCE[/youtube]

I used to have coffee in there almost every day, a few years back. How quickly decay sets in.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

re SJW comments on Scalia's death.

I remember Christopher Hitchen's comments on Jerry Falwell's death made on Fox news.

When challenged on them - his response was 'You invited me on to give my opinion' (excuse my paraphrasing).

I didn't think it too much at the time - but I guess he had more in the 'plus' column - so it didn't bother me.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

HunnyBunny wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

The Saudis are more concerned about Assad than ISIS. This might be an escalation of the Shia-Sunni war rather than a move focused on ISIS.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:re SJW comments on Scalia's death.

I remember Christopher Hitchen's comments on Jerry Falwell's death made on Fox news.

When challenged on them - his response was 'You invited me on to give my opinion' (excuse my paraphrasing).

I didn't think it too much at the time - but I guess he had more in the 'plus' column - so it didn't bother me.

The reason it is of note is that in SJWland even talking about a person and they not knowing about it can be considered harassment. Part of that twitter harassment case up in Canada hinged on that.

So using their logic, when they say nasty shit about Scalia's death, they are in fact harassing his friends and loved ones even if those people don't know it's happening.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:PM Scented Nectar for coding & formatting 101.
I can do my every-so-often youtube thingy sometime later today. I have to look through my liked videos to find a good sample one. The least I can do is change things up with a new video each time, or they'll start to annoy people after a while. :)

In other youtube news, the video screen capture I took of Sargon's chat area turned out really crappy, so I won't post it. Everything was blurry and jerky. It was a shitty screen cap program, but I found a really good one yesterday to replace it. A bit late for Sargon's hangout though.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:

The reason it is of note is that in SJWland even talking about a person and they not knowing about it can be considered harassment. Part of that twitter harassment case up in Canada hinged on that.

So using their logic, when they say nasty shit about Scalia's death, they are in fact harassing his friends and loved ones even if those people don't know it's happening.
Thanks for your perspective on this - I hadn't considered that point.

If someone was talking this way after the death of one of my friends /relatives etc - I would tend to think 'Fuck You' and discount anything further that they had to say. But I probably wouldn't handle it over the internet / twitter etc.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

That went over my head
on an unknown heading.
When you first see her in the bar, she looks like a 4;
After way too many drinks, she looks like a 9, so you go home with her;
In the harsh light of morning, you realize she was a 2, and you're willing to chew off your own paw to escape.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The issue is the hypocrisy of the FTBullies. They malign you for being harsh against their beloved, but have no qualms about exuding utter nastiness against those they despise (or even Robin Williams.)

cuz It's Okay When We Do It™

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

feathers wrote: Is Teflon gay? Never thought of it like that, but now you say so... This is why Real Men nowadays use stainless steel to cook in, right? Or perhaps even cast steel.
I hear carbon fibre is really masculine.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Rapper and former Haitian presidential hopeful Wyclef Jean just did an AMA on Reddit. Redditors did not love his approach to charity fundraising for the Haitians and Jean deleted his AMA account.

Here's the top-rated comment, but the whole thread is worth a read:
Hi Wyclef,
I have a question for you, how do you sleep at night knowing that the money people were donating to your charity Yele could have been spent improving the lives of "your people" but instead you spent it on yourself and your celebrity friends? How do you justify $600,000 in donations went to Yele's headquarters, which have since been abandoned, $375,000 to cover 'landscaping' costs, $470,000 spent on food and beverages, you paid yourself $100,000 to perform at a "Charity" event for your presidency bid, $100,000 to your mistress, $30,763 to fly Hollywood Lindsay Lohan from New Jersey to a Chicago. You have stolen a total of $9 million dollars of the $16 million donated to Haiti. Do you feel like the biggest douche bag on earth or do you like stealing from the mouths of the poor and needy?

Edit: was asked for sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -debt.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/w ... -1.1332600
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... unny-money
http://gawker.com/5492081/wyclef-jean-p ... ti-charity

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
I hear carbon fibre is really masculine.
Masculine but in a gay way, research shows.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

PZ is just following the steps of Jonathan McIntosh, who wrote that he wasn't going to celebrate the death of Osama Bin Laden or "any human being regardless of how reprehensible they might have been" but wrote "good riddance" when Hitchens died.

https://orwelliangarbage.files.wordpres ... =474&h=459

I don't particularly mind people who celebrate the death of some truly awful people. I believe that it is absurd to say that a really despicable person should be respected only because they kicked the bucket. Murderers, terrorists, dictators and other assorted awful people do not deserve respect only because their lives have come to an end.

I also don't want people who celebrate the death of people who haven't been so awful to be punished. Yes, it's a pretty dickish thing to do if the guy was just a political rival, but I prefer honest mockery and celebrations to false tears.

However I could understand the positions of those who are against celebrating people's death, if they had some kind of consistency.

What I find despicable about the SJWs is they feel upset by people celebrating the death of terrorists but gloat and laugh when some people who simply didn't agree with them die.

I didn't like Hitchen's support for some neo-con policies, and I didn't like Scalia's positions on many social issues. But I wouldn't even dream to compare them to terrorists. The SJWs apparently think that they're worse than terrorists.

TL;DR: the SJW prefer Muslim terrorists to people who don't agree with them.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Steersman wrote:
rayshul wrote:I have no sense of rum
Had a few bad experiences with some Lamb's Navy (dark) rum when I was (briefly) in university (more than few decades ago) and it took years before I could even handle the smell of it ... ah, the days of our lives. :-)
Same with me and Glayva, Sambucca, Tequila, Galliano and Muskat.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
dogen wrote:
Turkey drags it's heels dealing with the ISIS threat as long as that threat is killing Kurds and eating away at the Assad regime.

I think to a degree, secretly many nations are of the opinion that as long as ISIS is contained, it's no bad thing as it attracts all the crazies into one place, and how hard would it be to infiltrate? It must be an intelligence goldmine.
Both the anti-Assad-Saudi-Turkish coalition and the Assad-Iranian-Russian alliance have used ISIS as a mad dog against their rivals.

Assad created the first nucleus of ISIS by releasing many political prisoners to fight the people who rebelled against him. The Saudis infiltrated and financed this proto-ISIS nucleus to use it against Assad.

Eventually ISIS took off on its own, but it was tacitly supported by the Turks as long as it was killing Kurds. The Saudis also didn't mind ISIS too much, until it's become clear that Iran and Russia are using ISIS as a reason to bomb anti-Assad rebels and support Assad's return to power.

Nobody gives a shit about the Kurds, or the other victims of ISIS.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote: To be fair... anybody who brings up Last Thursdayism, mind in a jar or talks about a matrix type scenario... is an asshole... possibly a cunt.

Either they don't know that it's unfalsifiable which makes them an asshole, or they know and they are just fucking with you which makes them a cunt.
Last Thurday-ism, mind in a jar and the matrix scenario were invented to make fun of biblical literalists and idealist philosophers.

It's only later that the biblical literalists and the idealist philosophers started to take them seriously.