The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote: Cripes. Just torch the place, Peez. Or give it to Alex. Then become a Skepchick, like you've always wanted.
Does that require a sex change? Or just waking up in your own vomit on a regular basis?

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote: Apparently they are really nice, even in the back channel. Yeah, right.

Surely the point of getting new bloggers on the platform would be to get one or two well known-ish faces with the ability to write something of uality. So something completely new.

I fail to see the point in soliciting any two-bit-Hordlet who thinks they could be the next big thing in Atheism. The only people who will read them will be other horde, and the pit. Is this is PZ, is this where the dream ends of a new atheism movement? Shitting out posts of random virtue signalling from nobodies? Bravo big man. :clap:
PZ is actually auditioning from the Horde? That would be a massive sign of desperation. Peez can't even reach out to some of those minor SJW all-stars who might fit in with the Freethought blogs worldview that encourages neither freedom nor thought? If it weren't PZ, I'd feel bad for him.[/quote]

I seem to remember Carrier boasting of some signings coming (or 'onboardings' as Average Dick likes to call them) in the Thunderfoot blog stats post of whinge:
So we’ve returned to where we were. And that merely because we offboarded some bloggers. What do you think will happen next year when we onboard their replacements?
Lets see, they offboarded Big Ed, Ophelia and Aaron Ra. And they are looking to replace those three with Caine, Satan and the like.

What do we think will happen when FTB 'onboards' that quality of blogger? :doh:

welch

Post by welch »

Ape+lust wrote:STFU Rebecca, you potato-faced cow.

http://imgur.com/nlZI09Q.png
How adroitly she made it about her.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Really? wrote: Apparently they are really nice, even in the back channel. Yeah, right.

Surely the point of getting new bloggers on the platform would be to get one or two well known-ish faces with the ability to write something of uality. So something completely new.

I fail to see the point in soliciting any two-bit-Hordlet who thinks they could be the next big thing in Atheism. The only people who will read them will be other horde, and the pit. Is this is PZ, is this where the dream ends of a new atheism movement? Shitting out posts of random virtue signalling from nobodies? Bravo big man. :clap:
PZ is actually auditioning from the Horde? That would be a massive sign of desperation. Peez can't even reach out to some of those minor SJW all-stars who might fit in with the Freethought blogs worldview that encourages neither freedom nor thought? If it weren't PZ, I'd feel bad for him.
I seem to remember Carrier boasting of some signings coming (or 'onboardings' as Average Dick likes to call them) in the Thunderfoot blog stats post of whinge:
So we’ve returned to where we were. And that merely because we offboarded some bloggers. What do you think will happen next year when we onboard their replacements?
Lets see, they offboarded Big Ed, Ophelia and Aaron Ra. And they are looking to replace those three with Caine, Satan and the like.

What do we think will happen when FTB 'onboards' that quality of blogger? :doh:[/quote]

I look forward to the debut of Ogvorbis's Playhouse, where he offers us the atheist feminist perspective on caring for the children of others in a loving , feminist manner.

welch

Post by welch »

Ape+lust wrote:I had no idea the Alamo Drafthouse was a front for Clockwork Orange aversion therapy.

My God, won't someone save her? Peez, where are you?

http://imgur.com/r5whjoG.png
Yeah. the pegging scene was so straight it uncurved the screen.

SPOILER!

or...is it?

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Another fun TL;DR analysis by Scott Alexander:
So, let’s review. A non-peer-reviewed paper shows that women get more requests accepted than men. In one subgroup, unblinding gender gives women a bigger advantage; in another subgroup, unblinding gender gives men a bigger advantage. When gender is unblinded, both men and women do worse; it’s unclear if there are statistically significant differences in this regard. Only one of the study’s subgroups showed lower acceptance for women than men, and the size of the difference was 63% vs. 64%, which may or may not be statistically significant. This may or may not be related to the fact, demonstrated in the study, that women propose bigger and less useful changes on average; no attempt was made to control for this. This tiny amount of discrimination against women seems to be mostly from other women, not from men.

The media uses this to conclude that “a vile male hive mind is running an assault mission against women in tech.”

Every time I say I’m nervous about the institutionalized social justice movement, people tell me that I’m crazy, that I’m just sexist and privileged, and that feminism is merely the belief that women are people so any discomfort with it is totally beyond the pale. I would nevertheless like to re-emphasize my concerns at this point.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Many lulz will ensue? It would really spice things up if they allowed non hivemind types to comment without getting immediately banned. The crying, shaking, spitting, and I can't evens would make it way more fun to read.
I would vote they bring back the porcupine too.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:HunnyBunny wrote:
Many lulz will ensue? It would really spice things up if they allowed non hivemind types to comment without getting immediately banned. The crying, shaking, spitting, and I can't evens would make it way more fun to read.
That really would be the best-case scenario. Zvan and Bitch Be Crazy Thibeault have the faintest hint of common sense in their heads. Gilliel? Nerd? Caine? Inaji? They're crazy as fuck, but no one has the balls to tell them that they sound crazy as fuck to the outside world.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

welch wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:I had no idea the Alamo Drafthouse was a front for Clockwork Orange aversion therapy.

My God, won't someone save her? Peez, where are you?

http://imgur.com/r5whjoG.png
Yeah. the pegging scene was so straight it uncurved the screen.

SPOILER!

or...is it?

Oh I missed that earlier. That is awesome. Knowing what I know about both Deadpool and Watson I would say she is really looking forward to seeing this movie.

She so worried about losing fans (ie money) that she can't even just blow the guy off.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

ArmouredSkeptic posts a mild rebuttal of MTV identity politics.

[youtube]Qx2vFgtfC1U[/youtube]

Enough with the air-quotes already. :angry-tappingfoot:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:
That really would be the best-case scenario. Zvan and Bitch Be Crazy Thibeault have the faintest hint of common sense in their heads. Gilliel? Nerd? Caine? Inaji? They're crazy as fuck, but no one has the balls to tell them that they sound crazy as fuck to the outside world.
Myers tweet about new bloggers got 1 retweet and 3 likes. He is so toxic, so marginalised now nobody cares about FTB. The only hope he has is the Horde.

It's not the hope he needs, but is sure is the hope he deserves.

Once The Orbit goes live :pray: there will be 2 backwater blog platforms, full of people no sane person wants to read. We may need to find a new source of lulz, I can't see it lasting much past 6 months.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

It's nice to see Will Shetterly has noticed Zvan trying to smother Bernie Sanders with her usual hackery styled as analysis. They've known each other for years, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just flipped her into enemy mode for pointing out she's full of shit :D

http://shetterly.blogspot.com/2016/02/h ... alize.html

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Did we break the news to PZ?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Tigzy wrote:If any Pitter has the means and the will to indulge in some supah trolling - well, FTB are actually touting for new bloggers. Makes one wonder if they're anticipating some departures (yes, The Orbit, I'm looking at you), because their roster is already fairly large.

https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... ughtblogs/

In any case, Peez makes clear the primary requisite for joining this illustrious band:
Serious applications will be examined for their suitability. Our requirements are simple: we want godless Social Justice Warriors.
Which he goes on to contradict in the very next paragraph:
We really want to encourage diversity, too,
No you don't. Not anything that's more than skin-deep at least, ya mug.
From Myers' post:
What are the rewards, you ask? ...

You get to join a group of supportive people!
:lol:

So that's confirmation that Gabriel & Zvan are leaving, then?

Then:
Tigzy wrote:Heh. Trouble at t'mill. Peez has a follow-up post to his 'Come And Add To The Diversity At FreethoughtBlogs, But Only As Long As You Don't Have Any Diverse Opinions':
Well, that was a little bit overwhelming. I put out our new instructions for how to apply for a blog here, and we got a flood of responses. Now a few things I have to mention:

There was a glitch in our setup, and so some people got emailed back some initial evaluations, and some of them were critical. That was bad. Those were supposed to be private. I think we have the problem nailed down, but one thing I have to say: if somebody said something negative about your blog, that was one person. We’re going to have a back channel discussion about them, and we have different views. No one has been rejected already. I actually like essentially all of the applications so far.
Criticism is bad. Fee-fees were clearly hurt. Maybe it was some sort of test to see how well a prospective blogger would react to criticism because, as should be patently fucking obvious, being a blogger will occasionally - possibly even often - mean that you and your work will be subject to criticism. Maybe. But this is FTB, so I figure the attempt to shield their prospective bloggers from the horrors of a critical evalution was - ridiculous as it seems - genuine. ...
"Group of supportive people". LOL.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The Hordelets might get grumpy if they ever realize that PZ probably does not have any of them in mind when he talks about adding new bloggers.

I really, really do not think it will happen. Even PZ knows and has been repeatedly told by (former?) friends like Chris Clarke that his Horde is a bunch of angry shits who reasonable people detest being around.

But I really don't know who PZ could be thinking of as a potential blogger. He's clearly specificied that he's looking for SJWs, and not, for instance, scientists. Or engineers. Or experts of any kind. So I guess he must be aware that anyone who ever came to FTB for the science is long gone and the only new readers he could ever hope to pull in who would be compatible with his current angry slacktivist readership is more angry slacktivists.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Really? wrote:
Oh, yes, the porcupine. And telling people to die in a fire. I haven't been told to die in a fire for ages, 'cause Twitter doesn't count. Sally Strange could unleash all her impotent venom. It would be like old times.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ape+lust wrote:It's nice to see Will Shetterly has noticed Zvan trying to smother Bernie Sanders with her usual hackery styled as analysis. They've known each other for years, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just flipped her into enemy mode for pointing out she's full of shit :D

http://shetterly.blogspot.com/2016/02/h ... alize.html
Oooh. Picture her preparing to coldly shred him (or try) in 3, 2, 1...

___

Another recent post of his, linked at the bottom of that page:
http://shetterly.blogspot.com/2016/02/s ... inton.html
Sanders feminists versus Clinton feminists: illustrating the main schools of contemporary feminism

I'm watching the fight between Sanders feminists and Clinton feminists with fascination. If you're an identitarian feminist, or what Christina Hoff Sommers calls a gender feminist, you probably think this is presumptuous of a man. If you're an egalitarian feminist, or what Christina Hoff Sommers calls an equity feminist, you probably don't give a damn.
:lol:

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Meanwhile, in fantasy land:
This was an earlier bout of madness. Even now, years after ElevatorGate and the related craziness, there are times these fucking people take my breath away.

In all sincerity, these two tweets are glimpses into an alternate reality. They bend my sanity. Zoë lied, cheated, lied about cheating, lied about lying about cheating ... and, you know, I can tolerate that. I can - I'm not perfect, and I've been in a few awful relationships.

Nobody's innocent, and I can respect that.

But, and I'm sure anyone reading this sensed a 'but' coming, I can only respect the Blue Haired Harpy to that point.

Zoe lied, cheated, lied about cheating... her ex-BF wrote a blog post about how shitty she was. In response, Zoe brought not one but TWO lawsuits against Eron, in two separate states; engaged in a year-long smear campaign against her ex-BF; told the judge Eron was physically abusive; claimed Eron orchestrated death threats and rape threats ... all of this patently false - almost all of it verifiably false, at that.

Bearing all that in mind, Anita comes out of left-field to whine that someone looked into things and came away with a different perspective than her prescribed narrative.

No snark or sarcasm, here: it's unreal, and I feel like I'm losing my mind as I think about it. Over the past few years, there have been a few SJW moments that made me walk away from the screen and avoid it all for a bit.

This is one of those moments.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Eron Gjoni posted this a bit ago.

reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/45ilfn/a_clarification_on_the_legal_situation/
Hey guys, a lot of people have expressed confusion about where things stand now legally.

If you're catching up, you'll want to read through this thing :
reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/40us3u/yo_legal_update/

The current situation is that the plaintiff has purportedly dropped the harassment charges (I haven't received official confirmation of this yet, but, it would be a really weird thing to lie about, so I presume it's true).

These charges were NOT related to the appeal currently scheduled for oral argument on March 18th. That is still a thing that's happening. Hypothetically, the harassment charges being dropped might increase the odds that the appellate court would rule the issue moot, but, not by much.

As a sidenote, there was a billing error on the last couple of invoices, this has been corrected and the funding goal for the appeal has been lowered accordingly. (Previously, the funding goal was $31,312; it is now $29,064). The goal includes the outstanding balance, the estimated cost of prep for oral argument / appearance, and a margin of safety. Anything past the funding goal on the white bar automatically goes toward paying back the Washington attorney (purple bar). And, on the off chance that donations exceed the goal in the purple bar, the excess will go toward a charity of the community's choice.

If you wanna chip in you can do so [here.](162 dot 243.138.46 funding/drive.php) I don't know what the odds are of the court ruling the case moot, it's definitely up there on the list of things that could happen. And it would be a totally anticlimactic bummer. If they don't rule it moot, it seems very likely that they would rule in my favor, but anything could happen.

Also, I think appellate cases are livestreamed online -- I want to say you can tune in, but also I'm pretty sure you're gonna overload the server, so -- I don't know. Try not to?

Thanks for everything guys. Let's hope something good comes of this. I'm around if you've got questions.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:So. Rayshul, Kirbmarc and Me + Damion

Who'd a guessed.
Damion? He'll spend most of his time trying to lay super clever pit traps. Still, he can be good when he ignores the chip on his shoulder.
Yes, I'm REALLY not happy about this. I DON'T want him on this.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

x_?_x wrote:No snark or sarcasm, here: it's unreal, and I feel like I'm losing my mind as I think about it. Over the past few years, there have been a few SJW moments that made me walk away from the screen and avoid it all for a bit.

It churns my stomach, certaintly, that people are capable of being that vile.

However I have gained enormous respect for our court system.

Identity politics needs its own Kitzmiller v. Dover.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Lsuoma wrote:Yes, I'm REALLY not happy about this. I DON'T want him on this.
That could be trap #1: "The pit supports no-platforming."

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

We have 68K active military personnel, with another 51K reserves, for a total of 119K personnel. To protect a nation of 35M. We have one soldier for every 300 people. The US a population of 320M with a total of 2.1M military personnel (both active and reserve), meaning there is 1 soldier for every 152 people. Canada has zero aircraft carriers, zero destroyers, zero suppliers, four 20 year old second hand submarines, 12 coastal defenders (crew 35), 6 working icebreakers and that’s just the state of our Navy. We are incapable of mounting any defense of our coastline.
A neighbor of mine served in the Canadian navy around 60-61. The destroyer he was on was going out with US/Canadian vessels on maneuvers. It had to turn back because it could not maintain cruising speed with the rest of the ships. Our navy was small but we claimed it was specialized in anti-submarine warfare. In anti-submarine maneuvers his destroyer was supposed to find an American sub. The sub came right up to the destroyer and when it was obvious the destroyer wasn't going to spot the sub under it's nose, the sub surfaced and it's skipper yelled 'We're here. We're right here!' through a bullhorn. Apparently the sub did this several times before they decided to call off the maneuver. Around the same time our tiny navy decided it needed an ocean going tug. Probably because what few ships our navy had were always breaking down. The hull and superstructure were built in Victoria. When they took it to Vancouver for finishing it could not go more than a few knots or the stern would go under water. I believe it was sold for scrap. As was our aircraft carrier the Bonaventure after an expensive and useless refit.

I am a bad Canadian for telling outsiders this.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

https://twitter.com/catlinnya/status/698255078508077056

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:

Nec is spending all his time in the deep web. Jasper is under cover with ISIS, and Steersman has said he won't do it. :think:

Someone needs to get in touch with Walter.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
We have 68K active military personnel, with another 51K reserves, for a total of 119K personnel. To protect a nation of 35M. We have one soldier for every 300 people. The US a population of 320M with a total of 2.1M military personnel (both active and reserve), meaning there is 1 soldier for every 152 people. Canada has zero aircraft carriers, zero destroyers, zero suppliers, four 20 year old second hand submarines, 12 coastal defenders (crew 35), 6 working icebreakers and that’s just the state of our Navy. We are incapable of mounting any defense of our coastline.
A neighbor of mine served in the Canadian navy around 60-61. The destroyer he was on was going out with US/Canadian vessels on maneuvers. It had to turn back because it could not maintain cruising speed with the rest of the ships. Our navy was small but we claimed it was specialized in anti-submarine warfare. In anti-submarine maneuvers his destroyer was supposed to find an American sub. The sub came right up to the destroyer and when it was obvious the destroyer wasn't going to spot the sub under it's nose, the sub surfaced and it's skipper yelled 'We're here. We're right here!' through a bullhorn. Apparently the sub did this several times before they decided to call off the maneuver. Around the same time our tiny navy decided it needed an ocean going tug. Probably because what few ships our navy had were always breaking down. The hull and superstructure were built in Victoria. When they took it to Vancouver for finishing it could not go more than a few knots or the stern would go under water. I believe it was sold for scrap. As was our aircraft carrier the Bonaventure after an expensive and useless refit.

I am a bad Canadian for telling outsiders this.

Explain to me again why we let you exist? At this point you are guys are nothing more than a staging ground for the Chinese.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sunder wrote:
This is not no-platforming. If Sargo wants to invite him, cool.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I don't wanna be too harsh on Damion because he's been well-behaved lately but I just mean it's the kind of thing I could have seen him doing at some point.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:I don't wanna be too harsh on Damion because he's been well-behaved lately but I just mean it's the kind of thing I could have seen him doing at some point.
I'm am sure he something planned. Platform that big, can't help himself.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Kirbmarc wrote:I think that the UK Labour is pretty much screwed when it comes to the next elections.
Not necessarily. I've spoken to a few Labour activists about this and they all know Corbyn is a disaster, but likewise all believe this period could turn out be a blessing in (a very uncomfortable and ill-fitting) disguise. The basic script goes something like this:

David Miliband is convinced to return and parachuted back into the PLP in a safe bi-election. The chorus of dissenting cries against Corbyn's principled idiocy grows and grows; he hangs on for about 3 years then finally accepts enough is enough. Miliband runs for party leadership, and is given a walk. At around the same time, David Cameron cedes the leadership to George Osborne. Unlike his savvy (if vacuous) predecessor, Osborne is an utterly unlikeable, unelectable cunt. Miliband murders Osborne at the next general election. Hurrah.

:fpig: :fpig: :fpig:

CaptainFluffyBunny

x_?_x wrote:Meanwhile, in fantasy land:
This was an earlier bout of madness. Even now, years after ElevatorGate and the related craziness, there are times these fucking people take my breath away.

In all sincerity, these two tweets are glimpses into an alternate reality. They bend my sanity. Zoë lied, cheated, lied about cheating, lied about lying about cheating ... and, you know, I can tolerate that. I can - I'm not perfect, and I've been in a few awful relationships.

Nobody's innocent, and I can respect that.

But, and I'm sure anyone reading this sensed a 'but' coming, I can only respect the Blue Haired Harpy to that point.

Zoe lied, cheated, lied about cheating... her ex-BF wrote a blog post about how shitty she was. In response, Zoe brought not one but TWO lawsuits against Eron, in two separate states; engaged in a year-long smear campaign against her ex-BF; told the judge Eron was physically abusive; claimed Eron orchestrated death threats and rape threats ... all of this patently false - almost all of it verifiably false, at that.

Bearing all that in mind, Anita comes out of left-field to whine that someone looked into things and came away with a different perspective than her prescribed narrative.

No snark or sarcasm, here: it's unreal, and I feel like I'm losing my mind as I think about it. Over the past few years, there have been a few SJW moments that made me walk away from the screen and avoid it all for a bit.

For what it's worth, my eldest daughter an I were trying to explain the whole sordid affair to my wife not long ago. You just break down after a certain point. Good people can't really even conceive of other people really actiing like that. It begins to seem unreal, the plot loses any believability.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Lsuoma wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

Who'd a guessed.
Damion? He'll spend most of his time trying to lay super clever pit traps. Still, he can be good when he ignores the chip on his shoulder.
I really don't know. How did he get nominated again? But when he's not being an insane tool, he's not half bad. Mixed feelings to say the least. I'd like him to weigh in with his intentions. If he's going to claim to represent a voice from the pit, it would be honorable.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Damion is the uncle that can make for an awkard family gathering but he is a member of the Pit.

+ he spends more time discombobulating SJWs in the wild than many of us do
+ he has the privilage of being banned at more FtB blogs than pinchguest and John Greg combined
+ he happily and regularly places himself RL name first into the jaws of SZvan et al

The other thing I'd say is that he operates as a good mental foil if you want that. If you don't then yes it would be a pain in the ass. But it was largely his "prove its" that motivated me to go the extra mile in the Stollznow thing at JREF and to also not fall into a simple black and white opinion on Shermer.

Ok he treats the pit as a bit of a social experiment and feels that the outer edges of our SJ push back lacks nuance or style. Oh my god how patronising. But so the fuck what? We are big boys and girls here.

In short he meets three key requirements - diversity of opinion and approach, a pitter and active in the push back. If he wants a voice then fine. No silo'ed echo chambers here please.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

HunnyBunny wrote:

PZ is actually auditioning from the Horde? That would be a massive sign of desperation. Peez can't even reach out to some of those minor SJW all-stars who might fit in with the Freethought blogs worldview that encourages neither freedom nor thought? If it weren't PZ, I'd feel bad for him.

What do we think will happen when FTB 'onboards' that quality of blogger? :doh:[/quote]

The expression "the inmates are running the asylum" will never be more apt.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:Damion is the uncle that can make for an awkard family gathering but he is a member of the Pit.

+ he has the privilage of being banned at more FtB blogs than pinchguest and John Greg combined
+ he happily and regularly places himself RL name first into the jaws of SZvan et al

The other thing I'd say is that he operates as a good mental foil if you want that. If you don't then yes it would be a pain in the ass. But it was largely his "prove its" that motivated me to go the extra mile in the Stollznow thing at JREF and to also not fall into a simple black and white opinion on Shermer.

Ok he treats the pit as a bit of a social experiment and feels that the outer edges of our SJ push back lacks nuance or style. Oh my god how patronising. But so the fuck what? We are big boys and girls here.

In short he meets three key requirements - diversity of opinion and approach, a pitter and active in the push back. If he wants a voice then fine. No silo'ed echo chambers here please.
I thought Sargon wanted the Slymepit membership to choose a set of people.
How did Damion get on that list?

I think there is a difference between the statement "Nobody speaks for the slymepit" and the idea that we choose a group of veteran pitters to discuss the history of this site.
Any one of us can say who we are happy with on that panel and who we are not happy with.

For my part I think that both Damion (and franc, for that matter) would be perfect within a larger panel discussion about the diversity of opinion on the Slymepit.

I don't, however, consider him to be a good choice in a discussion about the history of the pit.
Damion has his own agenda and that, in the past, has included a desire to kill off the slymepit and replace it with a different more 'respectable' forum.

Can anyone see this discussion panel as proposed resulting in anything other than 2 hours of Damion trying to play one of gotcha tricks ("the slymepit doxxed Surly Amy!", "franc said he wanted to kick Benson in the cunt!" etc)?

Will Damion go into the discussion with the statement that he has wanted to kill off the slymepit in the past?
If not then it's like having a discussion of the history of the pit and having oolon on the panel as one of the slymepitters.

I suggest that we put off the interview until we can get a group of people that we can agree upon.

It is wrong to just appoint someone out of the blue that the group has not discussed.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: For what it's worth, my eldest daughter an I were trying to explain the whole sordid affair to my wife not long ago. You just break down after a certain point. Good people can't really even conceive of other people really actiing like that. It begins to seem unreal, the plot loses any believability.
Yeah, I've been there. I remember telling my Dad about it all and I went away with the impression that he thought I was the victim of some elaborate long-game troll....Consisting of thousands of separate blogs, social media accounts and actual public figures. The big knob.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

x_?_x wrote:Meanwhile, in fantasy land:
If that wasn't an Anita Wankeesian tweet I'd assume it was referring to Zoe Quinn.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:Damion is the uncle that can make for an awkard family gathering but he is a member of the Pit.

Sure but I don't care about all that. To me he is untrustworthy and a complete wanker. There is a good chance he will crap all over both the Sylympit and its opponents and even if he does not the risk itself is enough. He is a bad actor. But he is fully entitled to go but I still think he is a complete wanker.

Also Brive I know you and him collude so thanks for asking and encouraging him. Wonderful, thanks. Please try and be more open about it next time OK?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Who'd a guessed.
I was cleaning up my bookmarks in Chrome and stumbled across this http://atheistskepticdialogue.com/

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

JackSkeptic wrote:He is a bad actor.
No, this is a bad actor:
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58207306.jpg :P

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm on the side of letting Damion participate.

Despite the weird hatred some have, he's a nice bloke who often fights the good fight elsewhere. And if he plans on shitting on the Pit, well, it's a talk with multiple participants and I'm quite confident they'll be able to rebut any bullshit.

Also, Damion was ballsy enough to go to a con wearing his Slymepit shirt. That should count for something :)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm on the side of letting Damion participate.

Despite the weird hatred some have, he's a nice bloke who often fights the good fight elsewhere. And if he plans on shitting on the Pit, well, it's a talk with multiple participants and I'm quite confident they'll be able to rebut any bullshit.

Also, Damion was ballsy enough to go to a con wearing his Slymepit shirt. That should count for something :)

Why can't you go too? You have done podcasts and apparently there is a slot or two missing.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Can I use this as an opportunity try to clear up one weird piece of Damion-related possibly-mis-remembered shit in my own mind?

Is it possible that the first time he appeared here was off the back of ERV saying something like 'Hi you might have seen this guy Damion arguing around various places, well he's a guy I know IRL and although he sometimes seems acts like a walker he's just shit-stirring and he's a really good guy, so give him a fair shake'.

Or something like that. As I say, I could be entirely mis-conflating-membering him with someone else ERV was talking about, as I mixed half you fuckers up with each other for a first couple of years I hung around here.

I always thought his presentation and contradictions were a product of him running some 'experiment' which was obvious and clumsy and only served to make him a appear a bad actor.

FT has basically said no, he doesn't trust him. On one view of how this place operates, maybe that the end of it.

That aside, my own gut reactions is to allow him to participate. But it's not anything. More than a gut reaction.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

JackSkeptic wrote:

Why can't you go too? You have done podcasts and apparently there is a slot or two missing.
I would, but I have a chorist arriving from Paris this afternoon so we'll be in the studio at that time.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Indeed - he has my vote too. While I think he periodically has a tendency to tar us all for the sins of the few, I also think he's likely to be a welcome counterbalance to the other tendency of many, apparently, to see the Pit as above reproach or as unfallible.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tigzy wrote:If any Pitter has the means and the will to indulge in some supah trolling - well, FTB are actually touting for new bloggers. Makes one wonder if they're anticipating some departures (yes, The Orbit, I'm looking at you), because their roster is already fairly large.

https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... ughtblogs/
PZ on behalf of the Elusive FTB Committee wrote:Then, every once in a while, someone would write to me or someone else and ask how to be considered for FtB, and I’d blithely pass their name along to the committee.

That didn’t work. We don’t have a staff. No one signed up here to do administrative work, we were here to write, so passing a name to the committee was more like casting it away into the eternal void.
All they'd have to do is read some guy's mail, check s/h/its credentials, and nod, but this "committee" can't even be arsed to do just that? How does Peez think the new application method is going to work?
So we’re trying something different. No committee. Instead, we have an email link, and you’ll write to us with your qualifications. It then gets passed into a private application channel, and we all have an opportunity to look you over and vote yay or nay.
FTB's "Private Application Channel":

http://www.crcftlauderdale.com/images/a ... on_1.0.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

JackSkeptic wrote:

Sure but I don't care about all that. To me he is untrustworthy and a complete wanker. There is a good chance he will crap all over both the Sylympit and its opponents and even if he does not the risk itself is enough. He is a bad actor. But he is fully entitled to go but I still think he is a complete wanker.

Also Brive I know you and him collude so thanks for asking and encouraging him. Wonderful, thanks. Please try and be more open about it next time OK?
Bwhhahahah.

I didn't initially raise it with him. So get fucked.

But he has done more than most to piss off the SJWs so I have a soft spot for him.

And his interest came about the same time we were losing prospects and no queue was forming. Or was there a reserve list on the back channel?

But I did say he was a wild card entry. I said it was to fill the cunt spot. "Oh dear god diversity" I said it after asking for recruits a couple of times. I said it after the whole exercise teetered on the brink of typical pit indifference to practicalities despite a consensus for the thing go ahead. The whole "collusion" was about 15mins of slow motion "action".

And now interested people are popping up everywhere with sage advice and direction. But not to the extent they will actually do something to fill the gaps. FFS - Jack - someone - anyone. Take "my" spot. Take "Damions" spot. Run the fucking thing so there is an actual outcome. You got a couple of hours.

/mykeru

Gotta love this place. The bigger problem is my extreme stutter.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Walked = wanker, as opposed to Ghost Who Walks.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:Wow. Are Peez and the FTB Horde really that whitebread that they don't have anyone who can speak Spanish? Peez doesn't have any colleagues on the site who speak the language of the fastest-growing minority in the country? Peez doesn't have enough Spanish or common sense to be able to tell if a blogger is going even more PUA than Carrier?

Tell us again how Peez is the representative of multiculturalism and worldliness in the atheist community.
Anytime now, even the GOP candidateship shows more diversity than FTB.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Yes ERV! We want you on!
What, with an FTB blog? Sure!

/wilful topic conflater

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:
Shatterface wrote:He might as well have said he wants more black people but they better not smoke crack or shoot anyone.
Peez already tried one of those and it didn't work out very well.
She was... too diverse.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I think that the UK Labour is pretty much screwed when it comes to the next elections.
Not necessarily. I've spoken to a few Labour activists about this and they all know Corbyn is a disaster, but likewise all believe this period could turn out be a blessing in (a very uncomfortable and ill-fitting) disguise. The basic script goes something like this:

David Miliband is convinced to return and parachuted back into the PLP in a safe bi-election. The chorus of dissenting cries against Corbyn's principled idiocy grows and grows; he hangs on for about 3 years then finally accepts enough is enough. Miliband runs for party leadership, and is given a walk. At around the same time, David Cameron cedes the leadership to George Osborne. Unlike his savvy (if vacuous) predecessor, Osborne is an utterly unlikeable, unelectable cunt. Miliband murders Osborne at the next general election. Hurrah.

:fpig: :fpig: :fpig:
It's hard to see Labour getting their act together before the next election, and I don't share your high opinion of David Milliband. The fact that Ed was shite doesn't increase David's chances of being any good. But as the saying goes, oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them. Cameron has said he won't be leader at the next election, and I do share your low opinion of Osborne, and if he's leader Tory support will drop (the alternative could be Boris Johnson, who would make things very unpredictable, although purely as an orator he'd run rings round Corbyn). The thing most likely to bring the Tories down is the Brexit referendum, the prospect of which has kept the Eurosceptic wing of the party pacified for the time being, but once it actually arrives they'll break cover and return to being the treacherous PUMA bastards who brought down John Major. Cameron, like Major, has a small majority, and it wouldn't take a huge rebellion to cause massive ructions.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

Bwhhahahah.

I didn't initially raise it with him. So get fucked.

But he has done more than most to piss off the SJWs so I have a soft spot for him.

And his interest came about the same time we were losing prospects and no queue was forming. Or was there a reserve list on the back channel?

But I did say he was a wild card entry. I said it was to fill the cunt spot. "Oh dear god diversity" I said it after asking for recruits a couple of times. I said it after the whole exercise teetered on the brink of typical pit indifference to practicalities despite a consensus for the thing go ahead. The whole "collusion" was about 15mins of slow motion "action".

And now interested people are popping up everywhere with sage advice and direction. But not to the extent they will actually do something to fill the gaps. FFS - Jack - someone - anyone. Take "my" spot. Take "Damions" spot. Run the fucking thing so there is an actual outcome. You got a couple of hours.

/mykeru

Gotta love this place. The bigger problem is my extreme stutter.
So why the hell did you drop his name as a done deal here and in the other thread? No time left, no room for discussion?

Very SJW of you well done. If Damion wants in then why does he not have the balls to say so himself instead of hiring you as his patsy to drop his name in at the last minute? Childish as usual.

THIS is why I do not trust him. Don't try and make fools of people. I do not give a toss if he appears, I do not care if it is a disaster, but I am sick and tired of people lying to me. If you are not lying then do a damned better job of not appearing to.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:

Who'd a guessed.
Why does anyone care about this at all? Too many people have been acting like this is a big deal or something. It's not. The pit will be fine, with or without that self-important arrogant twat Sargon's precious widdle podcast. Sargon's had several people jumping through hoops since he got here, and there's absolutely no fucking reason for it. Fuck Sargon.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Gumby wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Why does anyone care about this at all? Too many people have been acting like this is a big deal or something. It's not. The pit will be fine, with or without that self-important arrogant twat Sargon's precious widdle podcast. Sargon's had several people jumping through hoops since he got here, and there's absolutely no fucking reason for it. Fuck Sargon.
Agree it's pathetic.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Oh my god is my lipstick on right? Does this blouse match this skirt? Does the skirt make my ass look fat? Oh I so want to look good for my big date with Sargon!

*puke*

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Gumby wrote:Oh my god is my lipstick on right? Does this blouse match this skirt? Does the skirt make my ass look fat? Oh I so want to look good for my big date with Sargon!

*puke*
You look fucking gorgeous sweetheart.
Com would do you.
I'm surprised you need reassurance as a strong 6yr old slimy turd.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Did we or did we not have a general consensus this exercise was worth doing?
Because if that's changed tell me now. Please. Otherwise support the team you jokers.

Was I or was I not dropped into this without having put my hand-up? Lose the lipstick bullshit.

Did we or did we not have important people (Matt and FT) have to bail? So where were the volunteers? Apart from Damion only ERV showed keenness.

Was this or was this not becoming an embarrassing mess yesterday with deLurch wisely warning we were looking like indecisive idiots? So fire me for sorting some things out (in the clear) given the lack of a project "leader".

meh. Where's me mate Tribble when I need him?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm with you Brive.

Really, if it weren't for the unexpected studio work, I'd be more than willing to participate, if only for the fun of hanging out with fellow Pitters.

I don't care much about Sargon as I've seen maybe two or three of his videos. I'm completely unfamiliar with his background and his general views. But if he wants to get some Pit history from actual Pitters instead of, say, from lunatic SJWs, it can only be a positive thing. And frankly, Damion joining in is what I see as an added bonus.

If I get a break during recordings, I'll try to join in for a bit, at least on the chat if there's such a thing.

If it works out fine, it's something we could do more often by ourselves too, without Sargon's supervision.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I will listen to the Sargon thing as I like his style of interview and I'm fascinated to hear the voices of people I've chatted to for the last few years.
As far as Damo is concerned, as irritating and deliberately contrarian as he may be, he does represent the 'pit's ability to self-correct and also our strong open door policy. Another huge plus is that he is not Steersman. He's been here from (almost) the beginning and has watched the goings on and has contributed somewhat. Many of his contrarian positions have appeared to weaken over the years as they have become untenable with the actions of the A/S SJWs. How much he will concede this in public remains to be seen.
With Brive, Rayshul, Kirbmarc and Abbie on board I trust that he wouldn't be able to sabotage a decent interview. What's the worst that could happen? someone comes away from the stream thinking the pit is a den of iniquity? Pffft.
I've watched fascinated as we have tried to marshall this thing. It's like the old joke, 'If you want three opposing positions ask two slymepitters their opinions.'
The pit's strength IMO has come from the diversity of the membership, the open door for new and contrary ideas and the relentless pisstaking of our humourless fucktarded opponents. As long as those ideas are pushed hard to explain our longevity and loyalty to the board, I'm prepared to see how everything comes out in the wash.
Regarding the Sargon hate-hard-ons; bleh we have a platform to express ourselves with someone who has a large and sympathetic audience. The fact that SoA may cash-in on the exercise is neither here nor there imo and as long as I don't have to suck his dick I don't care.