Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by HunnyBunny »

Tigzy wrote:One thing I like about the term 'regressive left' is the fact that it was coined by a non-white muslim*. If it gets any more traction, it's likely to give the SJW crowd a fair attack of the jitters when they try complaining about it.

*which also lends some amusement to the fact that Steers 'Deport them all' Man seems rather keen on it.
Speaking of Steers, did the tweet module he got in the last upgrade come with any guarantee? It seems to be malfunctioning, stuck in a loop of tourettes-like embarrassing tweets :

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... t&src=typd

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

jimthepleb wrote:Looks like JK Rowling might sue McGarry For the 'misogynist abuse' tweets.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/ ... -1-4015679
Good. And Rowling's titanium-hearted-bitch response to McGarry is a thing of beauty:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

jimthepleb wrote:Looks like JK Rowling might sue McGarry For the 'misogynist abuse' tweets.
Pick a fight with a billionaire. A beloved billionaire. Apologize, then send a pic doctored to look like it supports what you just apologized for. Is that right?

I can't understand why any of this happened. There's no reason for it, unless the MP wants to be the biggest bag of stupid in Britain today.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Scented Nectar wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Your point?
That it's a shitty and dishonest thing to do.
Indeed. Thanks for at least the moral support (not sure yet whether I'll start a GoFundMe account for defraying the costs of retaining PopeHat .... ;-) ), and to everyone else who similarly showed the flag.

Definitely a rather dickish thing for our comhcinc to have done - letting his spleen get the better of his brain. While I appreciate that he has, apparently, deleted the first offending tweet, one might suggest he be obliged to contact everyone who's seen, or who will see, it and similarly correct their misapprehensions. Seem to recollect reading a Russian short story many years ago along the same lines - the offending rumour-monger was obliged to write something on a piece of paper, tear it up, throw the pieces to the wind from the local church belfry and then go and pick them all up.

In any case, as sort of a point of order, and relative to Francis Bacon's "Therefore shoddy and inept application of words lays siege to the intellect in wondrous ways”, I might suggest that while the accusation is rather odious, pedophilia seems technically not to qualify as a crime in itself; devil's in the details and all that:
paedophile (ˈpiːdəʊˌfaɪl) or pedophile
n
(Psychiatry) a person who is sexually attracted to children
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition
And the urge to do something - and, of course, no one has ever had an urge to commit murder or larceny - is a rather different kettle of fish from actually acting on such.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny wrote:Loiuse Mensch gets a reply to her complaint to the BBC over the Big Questions Connie St Louis shitstorm.

The reply proves that, yet again, St Louis is a massive lying cunt. She told the BBC she deleted her twitter account, so she needed the BBC to tweet her apology.

St Louis never deleted her account. What a cunt.
Can any of these twitter feminists make a statement without lying, distorting the truth and slandering?
So I looked at her twitter feed. She has been tweeting at them.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

'LOL oh look someone threatening to sue me on the internet LOLZLZLOLOL yeah go fuck urself JK rowling as if you could afford -

- oh.'

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Guest_0048cc29 wrote:If people read it here, then they have come here to find it, and there is a reasonable hope they realize teh statement was made within the context of a community.
I have no fucking clue what this means, but if you're suggesting that this is a "community" that condones outright libel, then Lsuoma is doing something terribly wrong.
Not libel, just that every community has its in jokes, its history, its context that astute outsiders understand they need to understand.

And from now on, stop playing with yourself.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Steersman wrote: Indeed. Thanks for at least the moral support (not sure yet whether I'll start a GoFundMe account for defraying the costs of retaining PopeHat .... ;-) ), and to everyone else who similarly showed the flag.

Definitely a rather dickish thing for our comhcinc to have done - letting his spleen get the better of his brain. While I appreciate that he has, apparently, deleted the first offending tweet, one might suggest he be obliged to contact everyone who's seen, or who will see, it and similarly correct their misapprehensions.

Go fuck yourself. And please attempt to sue me. Really try it shithead.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Steersman wrote: *snip* I might suggest that while the accusation is rather odious, pedophilia seems technically not to qualify as a crime in itself; devil's in the details and all that:
paedophile (ˈpiːdəʊˌfaɪl) or pedophile
n
(Psychiatry) a person who is sexually attracted to children
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition
And the urge to do something - and, of course, no one has ever had an urge to commit murder or larceny - is a rather different kettle of fish from actually acting on such.
I think you have the Pit confused with another site. Salon.com is here

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:
Good. And Rowling's titanium-hearted-bitch response to McGarry is a thing of beauty:
Rowling's rich and famous enough not to worry about SJWs going after her job or her books and unlike, say, Joss Whedon, she knows when they're crossing a line.

I'd actually love to see some semi-famous SJWs like Laurie Penny try to go after Harry Potter and claim that it's "problematic" or "misogynstic". They'd be destroyed.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:Loiuse Mensch gets a reply to her complaint to the BBC over the Big Questions Connie St Louis shitstorm.

The reply proves that, yet again, St Louis is a massive lying cunt. She told the BBC she deleted her twitter account, so she needed the BBC to tweet her apology.

St Louis never deleted her account. What a cunt.
Can any of these twitter feminists make a statement without lying, distorting the truth and slandering?
So the BBC and all of its news people had no idea how or inclination to see if that liar's Twitter was still active? Damn. In some way you can't blame Connie for lying. No one ever calls her out ever.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Pick a fight with a billionaire. A beloved billionaire. Apologize, then send a pic doctored to look like it supports what you just apologized for. Is that right?

I can't understand why any of this happened. There's no reason for it, unless the MP wants to be the biggest bag of stupid in Britain today.
Maybe Mc Garry is the biggest bag of stupid in Britain today? Blind, dogmatic adherence to an ideology makes you stupid. Really stupid.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

For the record, from he article in the above post:
A series of tweets were posted by Ms McGarry, whose political career has been marred by her suspension from the SNP after financial irregularities were discovered in a pro-independence group that campaigned during the referendum.
McGarry is an all-around cunt.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Tigzy wrote:One thing I like about the term 'regressive left' is the fact that it was coined by a non-white muslim*. If it gets any more traction, it's likely to give the SJW crowd a fair attack of the jitters when they try complaining about it.

*which also lends some amusement to the fact that Steers 'Deport them all' Man seems rather keen on it.
Speaking of Steers, did the tweet module he got in the last upgrade come with any guarantee? It seems to be malfunctioning, stuck in a loop of tourettes-like embarrassing tweets :

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... t&src=typd
"Embarassing"? Seems if you were actually interested in making an equitable comment then you would have at least noted that I have, repeatedly, qualified my supposedly offensive statement:
Steersman wrote:Deport the lot of 'em - @ least those who wont repudiate Islam.
Considering your recent response to Clarence, which I largely agreed with, but which seems tantamount to the same call for repudiating Islam, I find your position rather incongruous to say the least.

In any case, you may wish to take a look at some of the 2 million odd Google hits for the search on Islamic invasion of Europe - seems to be a bit of a ground-swell of appreciation for the fact that Islam is largely if not entirely antithetical to the principles and values of Western democracies and human rights.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:She had the option of not wading into it. Is Richard Wiseman shooting his mouth off? Are the other guests?
She was being egged on by a few twitterers. Some people are are suckers when they really want to sing anyways. Or she might have been field testing some of the explanations that Steve Novella is going to have to try today. Or she might have been asked to help sell the public on the choice.

Given that she is actually on SGU, even if she did not have any official authoritative positioning, she may have received the down low from the crew.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Eskarina wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Would it be insensitive of me to suggest that after the tweet is deleted, Com and Steers shake hands and then make out a little? I want everyone to be friends! :lol:
Only if I they do it out of my sight. I'm on the edge as it is, I don't need any further disturbances. :eusa-hand:
We'll never see it here on the Pit. We can't even get Com to make good on his hotdog/moobs photo!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Ape+lust wrote:

Jess Phillips MP (Lab) is in the running after suggesting that Cologne NYE event were seen every weekend on the streets of Birmingham.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So the still no word from Steven Novella?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Would it be insensitive of me to suggest that after the tweet is deleted, Com and Steers shake hands and then make out a little? I want everyone to be friends! :lol:
Only if I they do it out of my sight. I'm on the edge as it is, I don't need any further disturbances. :eusa-hand:
We'll never see it here on the Pit. We can't even get Com to make good on his hotdog/moobs photo!

I made it right with P.A.

I...I don't want to talk about what happen. :oops:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Ape+lust wrote:Melissa Click agrees to a "deferred prosecution" deal.
http://imgur.com/LI89IvA.png
A reasonable outcome. Some people may have wanted more. But unless she has a conviction history, I would have expected the prosecutor to do pretty much the same for anyone else less well known.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

A reasonable outcome. Some people may have wanted more. But unless she has a conviction history, I would have expected the prosecutor to do pretty much the same for anyone else less well known.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
This is Yank for a suspended sentence?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

According to the science of intersectionality, I would say this guy is not guilty :ugeek:
[youtube]hOMaaOf2RaA[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Why give someone a hard time who is trying to stay out of the mess? Trying to get neutrals in trouble is a bad idea.
She really truly isn't.

[.tweet][/tweet]
You're dead to me, Cara.
Given her physical attractiveness, although that ring in her mouth seems tailor-made for rearranging one's dental work, I wouldn't go quite that far. However, she sure doesn't seem to be exhibiting much in the way of actual skepticism:

Just a rather problematic tendency to "four legs good, two legs bad", to be barking like a trained seal whenever one of its neighbors does so. While the tendency to group-think is more or less built into the species, probably going back at least as far as the swarming of locusts, I don't see that it does her credibility any good to be giving into the urge quite so quickly or with so little thought.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

deLurch wrote:
imgur.com/LI89IvA.png
I suspect her 20 hours of community service was light, but I have no way of knowing what the spectrum is that department routinely gives out.

Dave

Post by Dave »

deLurch wrote:
At the risk of sounding all SJW-y, I would have expected the prosecutor to do something similar for anyone else middle-class or above, with a name that isnt too foreign sounding, and skin tone that doesnt absorb too much light. There is a definite class and racial bias in our justice system, I have been sufficiently involved to see it first hand. I normally wouldnt bother to comment on it, but it amuses me in a perverse way to see Click, who got into trouble protesting alleged racism, benefiting from her "white privilege."

Dave

Post by Dave »

VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Not quite. Suspended sentence involves a conviction. This is more suspended prosecution.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

piginthecity wrote:It's strange that Richard claimed not to know about her, but seemed to think the video was about poor behaviour from feminists, for which she is the poster child. Then he wants to talk about her behaviour with that 'people .... however vile' dig, which is actually quite mean-spirited.
From the timeline, it appeared to me that he really did not identify her as anything more as a caricature until someone showed him a real life clip of her.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Dave wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Not quite. Suspended sentence involves a conviction. This is more suspended prosecution.
Thats why i asked, I don't understand how you can get community service and it not count as a conviction.

Dave

Post by Dave »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Dave wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Thats why i asked, I don't understand how you can get community service and it not count as a conviction.
You can agree to anything you want. This is essentially a contract between the prosecutor and Click. Click agrees to perform 20 hrs of community service and to waive statute of limitation defenses. In return, the prosecutor agrees no to prosecute unless Click violates some other law in the next year.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:
deLurch wrote:
At the risk of sounding all SJW-y, I would have expected the prosecutor to do something similar for anyone else middle-class or above, with a name that isnt too foreign sounding, and skin tone that doesnt absorb too much light. There is a definite class and racial bias in our justice system, I have been sufficiently involved to see it first hand. I normally wouldnt bother to comment on it, but it amuses me in a perverse way to see Click, who got into trouble protesting alleged racism, benefiting from her "white privilege."
I think she got off slightly better because of the press associated with this case but I believe that it would been about the same for any first time offender in this case.

Outside of murder and rape you are basically given a first time offender card where you are not punished too hard.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Dave wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Basically she is saying she did it and promises not to fight it in court and the state agrees not to charge her as long as she behaves and does some community service.

If she didn't have a decent lawyer she would have gotten pretty much the same deal except she would have to plead guilty and officially have a record.

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote: The mexicans weren't randomly coming here. They were being actively recruited, mostly by agribusiness. Because as it turns out, and the recent experiment in Georgia showed, you cannot pay enough for actual non-immigrant workers to go out and pick peaches in the blazing sun for 12+ hours a day and have a prayer of being profitable. Also, as it turns out, picking fruit is not as mindless as some think, there's a fair bit of technique to doing so well and efficiently.

There are critical industries in the US that cannot survive sans cheap illegal labor. So there's that. Also, if you really want to reduce the number of mexicans coming in, then helping Mexico as a country pull its head out is ultimately the actual solution. But who wants to do that?
Sorry, not buying it.

First, don't kid yourself, peaches are not a 'critical industry'. Second, drive through the Okanagan (in Canada) in the fall, and you won't see the fruit being picked by illegal immigrants, it's being picked by college students and hippies. Third, if an industry can't survive paying people an honest wage, let it die.
everyone says, 'oh the market can't bear $6 peaches.' But with illegal immigration, we're just paying the balance on those $2 peaches in other ways.

Anyway, in Sweden, they have tons of immigrants and super expensive groceries. Suckers.
Thai berry pickers are the North European equivalent of Mexican fruit pickers, except it's legal for them to work here.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-10-16/t ... nd-antlers

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
deLurch wrote:
imgur.com/LI89IvA.png
I suspect her 20 hours of community service was light, but I have no way of knowing what the spectrum is that department routinely gives out.
Yes, 20 hours of community service is light. It is the one year pledge for no further violations that is the kicker. Pins & needles for a whole year not to fuck up. Most normal people don't have issues anyway. But fear of a larger resulting penalty for fucking up will be slightly more taxing.

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote: At the risk of sounding all SJW-y, I would have expected the prosecutor to do something similar for anyone else middle-class or above, with a name that isnt too foreign sounding, and skin tone that doesnt absorb too much light. There is a definite class and racial bias in our justice system, I have been sufficiently involved to see it first hand. I normally wouldnt bother to comment on it, but it amuses me in a perverse way to see Click, who got into trouble protesting alleged racism, benefiting from her "white privilege."
I think she got off slightly better because of the press associated with this case but I believe that it would been about the same for any first time offender in this case.

Outside of murder and rape you are basically given a first time offender card where you are not punished too hard.
While I agree that outside of violent felonies, a first time offender will generally be offered a deal with a lighter sentence, generally IME, the deal for a darker or poorer defendant will involve a guilty plea and therefore a conviction. Here, she has been offered a deal that allows her to keep her first time offender card. If she stays out of trouble for a year, charges are dismissed and she still has a "clean record."

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:Thats why i asked, I don't understand how you can get community service and it not count as a conviction.
I think this is more of a "scouts honor" promise to do 20 hours of community service. Her lawyer will probably make sure she follows through. Odds are she will count her current activism as community service.

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Basically she is saying she did it and promises not to fight it in court and the state agrees not to charge her as long as she behaves and does some community service.
No, so far as I can tell, she is admitting nothing and retains the right to defend herself on the merits if the state does prosecute. She is only waiving Statute of Limitation defenses.
If she didn't have a decent lawyer she would have gotten pretty much the same deal except she would have to plead guilty and officially have a record.
That is a big difference.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Welcome, SofA.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote: At the risk of sounding all SJW-y, I would have expected the prosecutor to do something similar for anyone else middle-class or above, with a name that isnt too foreign sounding, and skin tone that doesnt absorb too much light. There is a definite class and racial bias in our justice system, I have been sufficiently involved to see it first hand. I normally wouldnt bother to comment on it, but it amuses me in a perverse way to see Click, who got into trouble protesting alleged racism, benefiting from her "white privilege."

While I agree that outside of violent felonies, a first time offender will generally be offered a deal with a lighter sentence, generally IME, the deal for a darker or poorer defendant will involve a guilty plea and therefore a conviction. Here, she has been offered a deal that allows her to keep her first time offender card. If she stays out of trouble for a year, charges are dismissed and she still has a "clean record."
Poorer yes, darker no you would have to show proof of that. In many states there are first time offender programs that people can take advantage of. D.A. does not necessary push it though and it's up to the lawyer.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
If you reread my post you'll note I didn't say they don't take it seriously. And I have asked cops, including a detective who does an extensive amount of work related to sex crimes. They agreed with the point I'm trying to make here. It's not the role of the police to be your advocate. If you report a crime, you're going to be grilled. I call that skepticism, and it's a good thing. Grilling someone means you are taking the matter seriously. It's how you get the facts, but it's ridiculous to berate a woman for not wanting to go through that in the immediate aftermath of a trauma. Advising women to get advocates, and fighting for more resources for said advocates, is the best way to address that if you ask me. It mitigates the valid fear of the accuser, and also addresses the equally valid concern regular citizens have that not reporting allows rapists to go unpunished, able to attack again.
I'm on a phone, so fogive the shitty quoting-
The police usually do assign an advocate to rape victims. They are put in touch with all sorts of resources after reporting rape. The individual officer is not, nor should be as that is a different position. It is nearly always assigned to a female officer or a civilian assigned to the position. No officer ever is going to "grill" (way too much tv there) a person accused of rape. They ask a series of questions as gently as possible to determine if a crime has been committed or if someone is in present danger. While many perform these duties sub-par, it's rapidly changing for the better. Saying that victims will be "grilled" is far from the truth and helps keep real victims from reporting.
This isn't TV (on the contrary, SVU and other series practically portrays the police as divine agents). My sister reported being sexually assaulted and was aggressively questioned by two male officers. She's tough as nails and the experience still shook her. Her description closely mirrored the stories you'll frequently hear from feminists. I'd need to see a lot more hard data on actual procedure across the states before I'd be willing to call those incidents anomalies. And for what it's worth, I too would describe my experience reporting an assault as "getting grilled", though at least they gave me a female officer ;)

I agree that feminists telling their horror stories dissuade women from reporting, and that this is bad, but I don't agree the solution is to not tell the stories. I believe I've railed about this before, but if every one of those feminist tales ended with, "so the moral of the story is you should support organizations like RAINN", I'd be applauding them rather then snarling.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote:Welcome, SofA.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_asset ... 00-235.gif

Or am I thinking about something else?

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Poorer yes, darker no you would have to show proof of that. In many states there are first time offender programs that people can take advantage of. D.A. does not necessary push it though and it's up to the lawyer.
No proof, my anecdotal experience as a part of the system. I am a lawyer, generally have handled contract and civil matters, but have done some work in criminal cases. IME, its a damn sight easier to get ACD for white kid in college than a black kid working after HS.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

No, so far as I can tell, she is admitting nothing and retains the right to defend herself on the merits if the state does prosecute. She is only waiving Statute of Limitation defenses.
Oh she is. Not in a legal sense but I promise is she started running her mouth and claiming she did nothing wrong and being a general arrogant cunt she would be charged in a heart beat. She is going to have to keep her mouth shut for at least a year.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I have no problem with how the prosecutor is handling the Melissa Click situation.

The problem I have is that she still has a job at Mizzou.

In higher education, your job is bullet-proof as long as your crime was committed in the name of Progressive politics. Can you imagine her keeping her job if she worked literally anywhere else? And what about Mireille Miller-Young, the UCSB professor who assaulted two teenage girls and stole and destroyed their property on school grounds because they were protesting abortion?

These people would be rightly fired if their politics were different, or if they worked in any other industry.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Not sure why anyone would be surprised by Cara Santa Maria. First, the glasses were a dead giveaway. Second, she did fill the open cunt position on SGU.

That sounds really dirty.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I know we joke about the "basket of lynx" mocking A+, but we really should have some sort of of Pit Package assembled when someone like Sargon comes around who could provide bigger exposure for some of this stuff.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:Thats why i asked, I don't understand how you can get community service and it not count as a conviction.
I think this is more of a "scouts honor" promise to do 20 hours of community service. Her lawyer will probably make sure she follows through. Odds are she will count her current activism as community service.
She's in Missouri, but in Arizona at least, community service is not scouts honor at all. People given community service are given a list of registered organizations they can serve at and they must have their hours signed off.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Lsuoma wrote:Welcome, SofA.
I'll welcome him when he find this thread. ;)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:I know we joke about the "basket of lynx" mocking A+, but we really should have some sort of of Pit Package assembled when someone like Sargon comes around who could provide bigger exposure for some of this stuff.

No we shouldn't. That cunt is no more special than any other cunt here.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
deLurch wrote:
She's in Missouri, but in Arizona at least, community service is not scouts honor at all. People given community service are given a list of registered organizations they can serve at and they must have their hours signed off.
I'm sure her time will be spent with Black Lives Matter.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sunder wrote:I know we joke about the "basket of lynx" mocking A+, but we really should have some sort of of Pit Package assembled when someone like Sargon comes around who could provide bigger exposure for some of this stuff.
Sure.

http://i.imgur.com/1VCAMAR.jpg

dogen

Post by dogen »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:I have no problem with how the prosecutor is handling the Melissa Click situation.

In higher education, your job is bullet-proof as long as your crime was committed in the name of Progressive politics. Can you imagine her keeping her job if she worked literally anywhere else? And what about Mireille Miller-Young, the UCSB professor who assaulted two teenage girls and stole and destroyed their property on school grounds because they were protesting abortion?

These people would be rightly fired if their politics were different, or if they worked in any other industry.
Can you give some examples of right-wind tenured professors being fired for similar acts?

Guestus Aurelius

And it bears repeating that Mark Schierbecker is a student at Mizzou. That's whose camera Melissa Click grabbed. That's whom she called in "muscle" to forcibly remove from public property. A student at the school that employs her.

She should have been fired months ago.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

comhcinc wrote:

Well, he kinda is, because he has a larger audience than anyone here.

When Brive tweets Peez's latest exploits to Thunderfoot, it's for the sake of exposure and making sure as many people as possible get to see the fat old fuck's most recent public embarrassment. It's mutually beneficial.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Yeah, very bizarre. I still expect to hear Oolon announce his womanhood one day.
I think he's so oily he wouldn't need surgery, his dick would just slide off of its own accord.
Shame you can only get one Best Post Evah! award, ain't it?
But now I'm struggling to get that image out of my head.

Guestus Aurelius

dogen wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:I have no problem with how the prosecutor is handling the Melissa Click situation.

Can you give some examples of right-wind tenured professors being fired for similar acts?
Can you give some examples of right-wing professors (Click isn't tenured, not sure about Miller-Young) committing similar acts?

There were, however, several recent instances of people being fired from or forced out of university positions merely for not being Progressive enough in their politics.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: Com's just bucking to be co-Official Slyme Pit Cunt, I think.
Two questions:
1) Is this going to be our next poll?
2) May one vote for oneself?

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Basically she is saying she did it and promises not to fight it in court and the state agrees not to charge her as long as she behaves and does some community service.
Oh she is. Not in a legal sense but I promise is she started running her mouth and claiming she did nothing wrong and being a general arrogant cunt she would be charged in a heart beat. She is going to have to keep her mouth shut for at least a year.
How does that have anything to do with what you originally claimed, namely that "Basically she is saying she did it and promises not to fight it in court"? She has done neither of those things as far as I can tell.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

On NECSS and the potential short term fall out of their conference.

They already have a pretty good line up of speakers. It is a pricey conference, especially when you look at all of the add ons. But they also, to the best of my understanding have a small seat capacity. 400. SGU podcast (which this is essentially their conference) is running the show, and has a good following already. The conference was pretty much unknown prior to Dawkins being invited.

Yes, there will be people who won't go because of this. But with such a small seat capacity compared to their line up, they will still fill all of their seats due to the extra attention. The success of attendance of the NECSS will be a wash.

The reputation of NECSS, the SGU, and the Novellas will probably take a hit. But I think they will ride it out anyway as they tend not to do drama or fuck up on a regular basis.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Well, he kinda is, because he has a larger audience than anyone here.

When Brive tweets Peez's latest exploits to Thunderfoot, it's for the sake of exposure and making sure as many people as possible get to see the fat old fuck's most recent public embarrassment. It's mutually beneficial.

You might think is is special but I don't and I like the guy. If he wants to be part of the group that's cool but past that I don't want this place to turn into some groupie hangout for a youtube star.