Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
SM12

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by SM12 »

Tigzy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Was checking out Patheos. Weirdly silent about the Cologne attacks-including the Muslim channels.
Likewise FTB - still all crickets when it comes to Cologne. Given FTBs thirst for rape & misogyny stories, it makes the absence of any comment ever more glaring.
Are they waiting for what Jessica Valenti has to say?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

From the Daily Beast:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... aults.html
What will feed this racism, bigotry, and xenophobia even more is deliberately failing to report the facts as they stand. Doing so only encourages the populist right’s rallying cry against “the establishment.”
The author is a POC. And after this article, clearly an oppressor slash porch monkey , suffering from internalized racism.

Git

Post by Git »

another lurker wrote:From the Daily Beast:
What will feed this racism, bigotry, and xenophobia even more is deliberately failing to report the facts as they stand. Doing so only encourages the populist right’s rallying cry against “the establishment.”
The author is a POC. And after this article, clearly an oppressor slash porch monkey , suffering from internalized racism.
You jest but regressive leftists, academics, and SJWs have called Maajid Nawaz and other Liberal Muslims, and even ex-Muslims just that.

Git

Post by Git »

And naturally one of Glenn Greenwald's cronies is one of the loudest shit throwers at the likes of Nawaz.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Did anybody else think Star Wars was a pile of wank? Maybe it got better near the end but I wouldn't know- I walked out half way through. Utter fucking shite.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Git wrote:
another lurker wrote:From the Daily Beast:
You jest but regressive leftists, academics, and SJWs have called Maajid Nawaz and other Liberal Muslims, and even ex-Muslims just that.
Yep.

That's why I said it.

I am appalled at how regressive leftists treat Namazie and Nawaz. And all ex Muslims , or even Muslims who are critical of Islam.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Git wrote:And naturally one of Glenn Greenwald's cronies is one of the loudest shit throwers at the likes of Nawaz.
Don't forget CJ Werleman.
What a cunt.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm going to get nuked but here it is: the current wave of migrants brings in a population that is maladapted to western democracy, who think the freedom in Western countries is a get-out-of-jail, free-for-all excuse to act like fucking barbarians. Who, in the end, think Western values are a form of weakness to be used and abused.

Politicians know it, and use it.

Case in point, regarding the November Paris attacks:
European Union Commission Vice-President Federica Mogherini and EU defence ministers backed France's request for help in military missions after they invoked Article 42.7 of the Treaty of the European Union for the first time since its creation. Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, rejected calls to rethink the European Union's policy on migration. Dismissing suggestions that open borders led to the attacks, Juncker said he believed that the attacks should be met with a stronger display of liberal values, including internal open borders. The Czech Prime Minister expressed disappointment over Juncker's response
Those people really have no idea how Mediterranean culture (miner included), and muslim culture even more so, work.
Totally agree, with one minor amendment: the maladaption is not limited to the current wave of Muslim migrants. Further it may be the failure of the previous waves of migrants to integrate, understand, appreciate the values of the country they actively sought to live in that have guided the current wave towards blithely expecting to continue to express their customs, beliefs and values utterly unchanged from their country of origin.

My context for this comes from having spent a decade living a few miles away from one of the most densely Muslim-populated areas of Britain: Bradford (also the birthplace of my grandad). A place that in large parts was essentially a no-go area, where you would be driving it through it and you had to check yourself that you weren't actually in downtown Islamabad.

A city where the monumental failure to be a diverse beacon of multi-cultural Britain has been firmly placed at the feet of the indigenous locals who have been branded far-right neo-nazi sympathisers by politicians and social services: people the locals elect and pay for to help improve their lives who have done nothing but shit on and blame them for a failed social experiment thought up and encouraged by the predecessors of the current SJW lunatics.

I remember the riots of 2001, they were supposedly caused by the failure of the locals to intergrate migrants into their community. Islamaphobia, far-right, neo-nazi, all the buzzwords were trotted out by the council, social workers, university twats.

The city now has the highest rate of marriages between 1st cousins - 60% within the Asian population. Unsurprisingly, it is also home to the highest rate of child deaths from genetic defects.

It also home to one of five Sharia Councils in the UK. The Sharia system was described by the local MP as being "about women being able to access services according to a cultural context". Not, of course, about men being able to control and continue abusing women has been shown in numerous undercover operations. Not, of course, about denying rights to women in a country that fought long and hard to establish equality before the law for women.

Here's a look at Bradford now:

http://media.breitbart.com/media/2015/0 ... 40x480.png

Sorry, rant over, but it fucks me off so much that nothing has been learnt from the last 30-40 years, except how to blame Western Europeans for problems that have their roots in a sick religion and culture in the middle east that is completely incompatible with European culture that values equality, knowledge and freedom of expression. I'm fucked if I'm going to let some bearded, sexist, homophobic bastards with a delusional belief in a paedophile warlord on a flying horse take us all back to the middle ages.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Did anybody else think Star Wars was a pile of wank? Maybe it got better near the end but I wouldn't know- I walked out half way through. Utter fucking shite.
I didn't think it was especially good but it was as good as it needed to be. I thought it was a pastiche of the original 3 movies. I also think that it had just the right amount of nostalgia for older fans. I enjoyed it. I agree with the Red Letter Media guys who said(paraphrased) that despite the Joseph Campbell type mythicism that's been heaped on Star Wars, it always been just an adventure movie with fun characters that you like. The new movie was just that.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:OT

My grandfather (Willy Robert, left) with François Truffaut (center). My grandfather was the boss of the largest Netherlands subtitle factory at the time. He was known in the US movie business as "Mister Magic". My sister dug this up while staying at my grandmother's last week.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... ijzmws.jpg

If you don't know who François Truffaut was, I think he played a small acting part in Close Encounter of the Third Kind.
I hope this is French humour. L'homme qui aimait les femmes, Les quatre cents coups, Fahrenheit 451 - all remembered fondly. In fact, recalling how the French New Wave cinema provided so many early teen wanks on television, I shall celebrate by having an earworm today - the theme from Un Homme et Une Femme.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Now I can tell that's Photoshopped - the phone box hasn't been vandalised!

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

HunnyBunny wrote:Here's a look at Bradford now:

Only one set of (green) tits for every four penises??? No wonder those guys are so open to martyrdom.

#BradfordMuslimsNeedMoarWomen

feathers

Post by feathers »

My grandfather (Willy Robert, left) with François Truffaut (center). My grandfather was the boss of the largest Netherlands subtitle factory at the time.
Which one would that be?

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

screwtape wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

Now I can tell that's Photoshopped - the phone box hasn't been vandalised!
Of course not silly, that's the drug dealer's office.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

HunnyBunny wrote:Sorry, rant over, but it fucks me off so much that nothing has been learnt from the last 30-40 years, except how to blame Western Europeans for problems that have their roots in a sick religion and culture in the middle east that is completely incompatible with European culture that values equality, knowledge and freedom of expression. I'm fucked if I'm going to let some bearded, sexist, homophobic bastards with a delusional belief in a paedophile warlord on a flying horse take us all back to the middle ages.
The worst kind of damage has been done by multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is the idea that cultures have rights, and that they must be defended, as if they were individuals. Multiculturalism ignores that cultures change, often dramatically, and that they "contaminate" each other. Multiculturalists rant against natural phenomena of spread of popular ideas, foods and concepts as "cultural appropriation".

It has been used to avoid any kind of meaningful integration with the context of a modern, liberal democracy. Instead of promoting liberal, democratic values all the Left has praised "traditional values" of different cultures, even though those values were the exact same values which progressive had fought against in Europe for centuries.

While forced, authoritarian assimilation is absurd, some degree of natural, pragmatic assimilation is the only way to support immigration without catastrophic consequences. The states which have more or less successfully created a culture from immigrants of diverse origin had to assimilate their immigrants, at least to a degree.

Look at the US. Immigrants from regions as diverse as Thailand and Poland, or Italy and China, had to gradually assimilate within the English-speaking, liberal democratic, free market society of the US. It cn be argued that one of the reasons was lack of assimilation, which in many cases was a conscious decision of the WASP elite to segregate from the rest. Black/white segregation was the source of many social issues.

A reasonable, coherent progressive should be pushing for some degree of assimilation, for a "colorblind" society where people can integrate within a liberal, democratic system and make it work. Reasonable progressives should be removing barriers to assimilation and to isolation of certain communities.

After all progressives who have fought for freedoms and rights for women, LGBT people and minorities should reasonably want to extend those freedoms to Muslim women, Muslim LGBT people and Muslims in general, shouldn't they?

Doesn't it sound weird to hear people who fight for human rights to praise "the conservation of traditions"? After all the worst enemies of social progressive have always been conservative traditions. The propaganda about the "defense of the traditional family" has hampered and still hampers the spread of women and LGBT right.

You'd think that feminist, who claim to fight for the right of women to bodily autonomy, to a career, to being taken seriously in their field, would be the first to condemn a tradition which makes women slaves to their husbands, second class citizens, limited in their career choices and which declares that the word of a woman is literally worth half of that of a man.

But multiculturalism puts a stop to that. Multiculturalism supports the idea that a culture can be oppressed not by censorship, not by authoritarian means. but simply by the fact of being the culture of a minority. Multiculturalism supports cultural segregation. It hampers the diffusion of ideas on the marketplace of ideas by defining any success of the culture of the majority as "cultural imperialism".

Multiculturalism pushes people to lend part of a country as ghettoes to a minority which is kept segregated from the majority. Multiculturalism allies itself with Islamist leaders who wish to keep Muslims separated from the liberal, democratic society, lest they start thinking for themselves and get rid of the Islamist leaders themselves.

Multiculturalism have led to developments like the idea of standpoint theory, that certain social categories have some degree of special insight, of an "other way of knowing" which can't be rationally criticized. For multiculturalists "lived experiences" possess a degree of truth which cannot be understood or communicated. Multiculturalists oppose a free flow of ideas and require segregation, promotion of "cultural identities" and the concession of privileges which threaten the fabric of a democratic, liberal society, like Sharia courts and council.

[Sharia has no place in a modern liberal, democratic society where the law should be equal for everyone.]

Multiculturalism, just like the idea of "other ways of knowing" specific to a social group, was born out of neo-Marxist philosophy, like the Frankfurt school, which were opposed to Enlightenment, to the Scientific Revolution and to science in general because they saw them as "tool of capitalistic oppression".

Ultimately a failed scientific theory, like Marxism, has been retooled from an instrument to understand the nature of economic relationships into an apocalyptic religion, a cult which sanctifies oppression, victimhood, and anything which is opposed to free markets (capitalism) and a free society (liberalism) in the name of collectivistic, authoritarian ideas.

The SJWs are simply the latest intellectual heirs of this anti-modern, anti-scientific, anti-freedom movement. They're useful idiots for other anti-modern, anti-scientific, anti-freedom movements with different aims, like Islamism.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Watching last night's Daily show right now.

Dalia Mogahed is the guest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalia_Mogahed
Dalia Mogahed (born 1974) is an American scholar of Egyptian origin. She is the Director of Research at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) in Washington, D.C. She is also President and CEO of Mogahed Consulting, a Washington, D.C.-based executive coaching and consulting firm specializing in Muslim societies and the Middle East. Mogahed is former Executive Director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies,[1] a non-partisan research center that provided data and analysis to reflect the views of Muslims all over the world. She was selected as an advisor by U.S. President Barack Obama on the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
She made some points which I will paraphrase. Basically...

The vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists (true)

But, then she goes off the rails..

1) The media is to blame for perpetuating the lie that Muslims tend to engage in terroristic activites

2) This normalizes bigotry

3) This hurts everyone, because the same people who argue against Muslim terrorism also want to deny rights to women, blacks, LGBT...every oppressed group that we can think of.

Haven't finished the interview yet, but yeah.

What a load of bullshit.

So, I guess this is why we can't point fingers at the Cologne rapists, because that would normalize bigotry, and then *everyone*, with the exception of cishet white males, will be oppressed!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

another lurker wrote:Watching last night's Daily show right now.

Dalia Mogahed is the guest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalia_Mogahed
Dalia Mogahed (born 1974) is an American scholar of Egyptian origin. She is the Director of Research at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) in Washington, D.C. She is also President and CEO of Mogahed Consulting, a Washington, D.C.-based executive coaching and consulting firm specializing in Muslim societies and the Middle East. Mogahed is former Executive Director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies,[1] a non-partisan research center that provided data and analysis to reflect the views of Muslims all over the world. She was selected as an advisor by U.S. President Barack Obama on the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
She made some points which I will paraphrase. Basically...

The vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists (true)

But, then she goes off the rails..

1) The media is to blame for perpetuating the lie that Muslims tend to engage in terroristic activites

2) This normalizes bigotry

3) This hurts everyone, because the same people who argue against Muslim terrorism also want to deny rights to women, blacks, LGBT...every oppressed group that we can think of.

Haven't finished the interview yet, but yeah.

What a load of bullshit.

So, I guess this is why we can't point fingers at the Cologne rapists, because that would normalize bigotry, and then *everyone*, with the exception of cishet white males, will be oppressed!
Oh, Lordy Lordy, I am going to turn out of facepalms soon.

Trevor Noah asks her about her hijab, if she feels that wearing it = oppression.

She explains that no, it is worn as an act of devotion, out of choice, for the majority of Muslim women.

She then explains that the hijab 'privatizes a woman's sexuality' and that oppression, to oppress, means to deny people their power. And that a hijab cannot possibly be oppressive because it is misogynist to suggest that a woman's power comes from uncovering her hair ie her sexuality. That a woman's power comes from her sexuality, essentially. So in covering her hair, a woman is freeing herself from oppression.

If anyone wants to see the interview, just search:

Dalia Mogahead Daily Show

I won't bother trying to link, because copyright bullshit will have any such links blocked for me.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 87a528.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
another lurker wrote:Trump is trolling.

It is one big advertisement for the Trump brand.

Same with Carson and Cruz. These fuckers always conveniently run for President when they have a book to promote or something. And if you have ever run for President, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot on the RWNJ lecture circuit for life.

Trump also says crazy things because it is more likely to go viral that way. He does not need to pay for ads because everyone is always talking about him.

Pro tip Phil: run for President next time you have an album to promote:ppp
I'll grant him that: he's a PR genius. Bad publicity is always publicity nonetheless.

VR Guy

Post by VR Guy »

another lurker wrote:Trump is trolling.

It is one big advertisement for the Trump brand.
Dear god, I was beginning to think I was the only one who realized this.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

PZ Myers still silent about Cologne?

That's really sad, because I'm sure his words of wisdom on the subject would have been very funny.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

another lurker wrote:She then explains that the hijab 'privatizes a woman's sexuality' and that oppression, to oppress, means to deny people their power. And that a hijab cannot possibly be oppressive because it is misogynist to suggest that a woman's power comes from uncovering her hair ie her sexuality. That a woman's power comes from her sexuality, essentially. So in covering her hair, a woman is freeing herself from oppression.
Ah, yes, I've heard this argument before.

It's the classic argument that all women who convert to Islam make.

It's incredibly stupid, because it is centered around the discourse of sex to avoid the discourse of choice.

A woman's power, just like a man's power, comes in first place by their personal autonomy. If a woman has to cover her hair to conform to the law or to the social attitude in her society or social group, then her power is limited and she is oppressed.

The Muslim apologists try to argue that social trends and fads are exactly as oppressive as their authoritarian rules. They have this in common with radfems, which think that fashion and fads are "inherently sexist" and "oppressive".

That's incredibly dumb. People are perfectly free to follow or not to follow fashions and fads. There is no fashion or fad police which goes around to harass women who don't follow the last fad. There are no laws which impose a certain fashion. There is no widespread culture of ostracism, of shunning those who don't wear a certain item*. No people try to alienate you from your family and friends for a fashion choice. No one thinks you're free game for sexual harassment if you don't wear a certain fashion item.

The power of fashion and trends is the informal, natural power of conformism, of imitation of role models, of social prestige. Going against an unwritten rule of fashion may cost you some social prestige, and in some cases the invitation to a certain social circle, but this doesn't even remotely compare with the legal, familiar and social pressure for Muslim women to cover their hair.

Radfems would agree with me if they weren't so caught up with their moral outrage about video game characters and they cared a little bit more about the real world.

*Not after high school, at least.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Steve Shives disappeared all the videos with his wife in them :lol:

I guess it's no fun being the definitive example of henpecked wuss. Or getting rage-stomped because Mama's unhappy about being an internet monster.

I have copies of the videos, but I'm missing one. I'll leave this here in the off chance someone might have it:

http://imgur.com/sTYyidW.jpg
I'm calling it. She made him take them down because they're splitting. She's reached the conundrum that feminist women eventually face. She got the kind of man she said she wanted but not the kind of man who gets her panties moist. The choices are split up, or go polyamorous, but she's probably such a control freak that the off off chance of Steve actually getting some is too upsetting for her.
I don't think Shives is the wimpy oatmeal male feminist who leaves ladies dry. He kept his rock music, didn't pretend to be better than it. His strategy is to point an accusatory finger at the other men, for being 'worse'. But he didn't take off his ball cap to make himself 'better'.

LadyShives's default setting is 'displeased'. A solid man wouldnt make her swoon. The only glee she is capable of-- is the kind Shives offers: a partner in mutual crapulent sneering. So she doesn't have to hate alone. She's literally a librarian-- who hates the pervasive sexism she imagines-- in all the books, music& videos on the library shelves.

Feminism disguises 'diminutive prune' as valid, authoritative critique. Shives is all too eager to legitimize her hate by championing her. She's rotten, he's a lickspittle. He's incapable of percieving his mate's agenda as unworthy.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Steve Shives disappeared all the videos with his wife in them :lol:

I guess it's no fun being the definitive example of henpecked wuss. Or getting rage-stomped because Mama's unhappy about being an internet monster.

I have copies of the videos, but I'm missing one. I'll leave this here in the off chance someone might have it:

I'm calling it. She made him take them down because they're splitting. She's reached the conundrum that feminist women eventually face. She got the kind of man she said she wanted but not the kind of man who gets her panties moist. The choices are split up, or go polyamorous, but she's probably such a control freak that the off off chance of Steve actually getting some is too upsetting for her.
I don't think Shives is the wimpy oatmeal male feminist who leaves ladies dry. He kept his rock music, didn't pretend to be better than it. His strategy is to point an accusatory finger at the other men, for being 'worse'. But he didn't take off his ball cap to make himself 'better'.

LadyShives's default setting is 'displeased'. A solid man wouldnt make her swoon. The only glee she is capable of-- is the kind Shives offers: a partner in mutual crapulent sneering. So she doesn't have to hate alone. She's literally a librarian-- who hates the pervasive sexism she imagines-- in all the books, music& videos on the library shelves.

Feminism disguises 'diminutive prune' as valid, authoritative critique. Shives is all too eager to legitimize her hate by championing her. She's rotten, he's a lickspittle. He's incapable of percieving his mate's agenda as unworthy.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote: The power of fashion and trends is the informal, natural power of conformism, of imitation of role models, of social prestige. Going against an unwritten rule of fashion may cost you some social prestige, and in some cases the invitation to a certain social circle, but this doesn't even remotely compare with the legal, familiar and social pressure for Muslim women to cover their hair.

Radfems would agree with me if they weren't so caught up with their moral outrage about video game characters and they cared a little bit more about the real world.

*Not after high school, at least.
That's the thing...the main weapons the Radfems have these days are the things you describe. To fight against that power is to fight against their own power. Which is why all of that is a non-starter...

So we're left with a movement, that instead of fighting for the ability of people to not conform, fights to make people conform to their own standards, which in the end just turns things into a fight over which standards to conform to, which IMO is probably a large chunk of the problem with things like the events of the other day.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

It's a head-scratcher. Chris Gayle, a male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - in fact, to complete the optics, Chris Gayle, a black male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a white female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - and there are calls for him to be banned from world cricket as a result.

Labour MP Simon Danzcuk engages in some mutual flirtation by text with a girl above the age of consent, and gets reported to the police and suspended from the party.

These are examples of people who our egalitarian, anti-sexist society deems beyond the pale in their treatment of women.

Yet the thugs that tried to intimidate Maryam Namazie out of Goldsmiths college? The Bradford child sex ring? The Cologne assaults? Nothing to concern ourselves with.

Feminism and identity politics are rotten.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

paddybrown wrote:It's a head-scratcher. Chris Gayle, a male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - in fact, to complete the optics, Chris Gayle, a black male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a white female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - and there are calls for him to be banned from world cricket as a result.

Labour MP Simon Danzcuk engages in some mutual flirtation by text with a girl above the age of consent, and gets reported to the police and suspended from the party.

These are examples of people who our egalitarian, anti-sexist society deems beyond the pale in their treatment of women.

Yet the thugs that tried to intimidate Maryam Namazie out of Goldsmiths college? The Bradford child sex ring? The Cologne assaults? Nothing to concern ourselves with.

So middle eastern Muslims are more oppresed than black folk?

Quick. I need an updated oppression Olympics chart stat!!!!11111

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Service Dog wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:

I think if the sexes were reversed, and Stephanie Shives were making anti-feminist videos and visibly flinching at the slightest hint of her husband's disapproval, even this board of rape-apologist MRA shitlords would sympathise with her and have no hesitation in calling her husband an abuser and calling for Stephanie to stop putting up with it and get out of there.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

And referring to the cologne attackers as "men" is transmisogynist and totes erases and misgender an entire group of people.

Dave

Post by Dave »

another lurker wrote:
paddybrown wrote:It's a head-scratcher. Chris Gayle, a male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - in fact, to complete the optics, Chris Gayle, a black male cricketer, is denounced as a misogynist for telling Mel McLaughlin, a white female reporter, she had nice eyes and he'd like to have a drink with her - and there are calls for him to be banned from world cricket as a result.

So middle eastern Muslims are more oppresed than black folk?

Quick. I need an updated oppression Olympics chart stat!!!!11111
Hey! My ancestors were shat on (and stabbed and shot and raped and . . .) by middle eastern Muslims -- Clearly my people are more oppressed than even they! Does this mean I can say "nigger" because its punching up?

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

dogen wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
another lurker wrote:Sexual harassment and the profession of astronomy:
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch ... my/422817/
Yeah, the problematic group for sexual harassment and gender discrimination is astronomers.

Muslims are only poor oppressed souls reacting against oppression and frustration.
I once had female graduate students complain (to the Dept. chair) about the T-shirt I wore while teaching them advanced stellar astrophysics. They deemed the logo unacceptable.

Judge for yourselves:

https://scienceforlife365.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=604
Its probably because you did not put ticks on the Y axis. Also, I(f) is intensity and not energy density. Two very different thing. Fem student was perfectly right to complain to the department chair. You should be ashamed.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

She then explains that the hijab 'privatizes a woman's sexuality' and that oppression, to oppress, means to deny people their power. And that a hijab cannot possibly be oppressive because it is misogynist to suggest that a woman's power comes from uncovering her hair ie her sexuality. That a woman's power comes from her sexuality, essentially. So in covering her hair, a woman is freeing herself from oppression.
I'm still left wondering why she thinks a woman's sexuality needs privatization (including for instance, why she thinks a man's does not).

a) purely as an act of devotion, a commandment from god?
b) because men are by nature inherently oppressive to women
c) not trying to play word games, but if she doesn't think either a or b above, and she thinks instead some men are somehow oppressive or somehow corrupted when women's sexuality is not privatized, isn't that a pretty good practical definition of a power?

I'm also curious how she might view this in terms of victim blaming. Why do women need to privatize their sexuality, and not teach men not to oppress?

Is "privatization" different from "modesty"?
Why hijab and not just a "modest" shirt or dress if not to acknowledge the additional power or corrupting influence of hair, neck and a beautiful face?
Why hijab and not niqab or even burka in terms of modesty and god's commandment?
If hijab alone is enough, why is a modest shirt or dress not enough?

This page takes great pain to stress it is to honor women, to protect them from men, but it is not for men to protect them from women.

virtualmosque.com/ummah/women/hijab-niqab/hijab-is-not-to-protect-men-but-to-honor-women/

If she agrees with that page, isn't that victim blaming? So how does she see other anti-sexual assault efforts that others view as victim blaming?

I can understand the logic of her doing this purely as an act of devotion, a commandment from god.

But I don't understand the logic of doing this as a way to protect women without considering it either as an acknowledge of a women's sexuality as a form of power or corruption over all men, or as a form of victim blaming.

dogen

Post by dogen »

H. Korban wrote:
dogen wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Yeah, the problematic group for sexual harassment and gender discrimination is astronomers.

Muslims are only poor oppressed souls reacting against oppression and frustration.
I once had female graduate students complain (to the Dept. chair) about the T-shirt I wore while teaching them advanced stellar astrophysics. They deemed the logo unacceptable.

Judge for yourselves:

https://scienceforlife365.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=604
Its probably because you did not put ticks on the Y axis. Also, I(f) is intensity and not energy density. Two very different thing. Fem student was perfectly right to complain to the department chair. You should be ashamed.
Good catch! But I wouldn't call intensity and energy density 'very different'; for a BB radiation field, I = (c/4pi) U.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

[youtube]unrVhQnxf10[/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

another lurker wrote:

From the article:
Some CA officials wanted Gayle to be suspended over the interview, during which he told McLaughlin she had beautiful eyes and asked her out for a drink before saying “don’t blush, baby”.
This is one of the most inoffensive proposal I've ever heard. Many women I know would even consider it romantic, especially if they liked the guy.

Is there any sane woman who would be outraged at being complimented in a polite, almost chivalric way and at being asked out in the same polite way? Even if you don't like the flirting, or think that it shouldn't have happened during an interview, do you really have any reason to feel even a slight amount of rage?

And yet:
Ex-Australian skipper Chappell said CA needed to send a zero-tolerance message on what he deemed “totally inappropriate” behaviour in a sport trying to gain traction with women.

“I wouldn’t have a problem if Cricket Australia said to the clubs, ‘he’s never to be contracted again in this country’,” Chappell said in Sydney, where he participated in an Optus SMB Cricket Legends event alongside Tom Moody.

“And I also wouldn’t have a problem if Cricket Australia said to the ICC, ‘what we’re doing should be worldwide’.

“You’d have to talk to the individual countries then ... but I wouldn’t have a problem if it was tabled at an ICC meeting that Cricket Australia said, ‘this is what we’re doing and we would recommend that everybody else do the same’.

“How are you going to stop it otherwise?”
What the fuck?

From the reaction you'd think that Gaylesaid something like "suck my dick, bitch, and bring me a sandwich". Or that he groped the journalist, or that he kissed her forcefully, or...I don't know, that he actually did something embarassing instead of engaging in a bit of polite flirting.

Are ricket players supposed to be sexless? Are they supposed to behave like monks?

What's harm to "women in cricket"? The horror of the idea that a man might politely flirt with them?

By the way, is the idea that a man might flirt with a woman "sexist"?
But Chappell thought he was “past help probably now”, and said the focus should be on sending a message to up-and-coming male cricketers.

“If it was a one-off thing, yeah, slap him with a $10,000 fine and say ‘mate, don’t do it again’,” he said.

“But every woman I spoke to [about Gayle] who’s working at the cricket, you got the same answer from.

“They were quite adamant about it.”
Jesus wept.

He flirted. HE FLIRTED. What a horrible thing for a cricket player to flirt with journalists. Next thing he may date one of them, and what will happen to the world?

Oh, and we shouldn't excuse Gayle because Maria Sharapova also flirted with journalists. No siree. According to Marina Hyde, comparing men and women athletes who flirt with journalists is just as horrible as blackface.

[quote=""Marina Hyde""]Of infinitely greater concern is the current argument that his behaviour can be excused on the basis that Maria Sharapova once flirted with a journalist. Why should one excuse the other? The idea it should is born of the mindset that fancies itself supremely logical on the basis that it strips every encounter of cultural context or nuance.

It is the argument of those who excuse blackface on the basis that the Wayans brothers once whited up for a movie, or wonder why it’s wrong to call Jews “Yids” when some Spurs fans refer thus to themselves. Such people know just enough not publicly to suggest that the N-word is OK because you hear it in rap – but only just, and only out of commercial self-preservation.
[/quote]

Yep, comparing men and women flirting is JUST THE SAME as saying that blackface is OK. Because women are so horribly oppressed by being flirted with that it's just as bad as racism and slavery.

Meanwhile on the same newspaper an author blames the victims of real sexual assault from "poor, oppresed migrants" for being young, rich and having smartphones.

I guess that the moral is that Gayle should convert to Islam. Then he'll be fine.

Dave

Post by Dave »

paddybrown wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: I'm calling it. She made him take them down because they're splitting. She's reached the conundrum that feminist women eventually face. She got the kind of man she said she wanted but not the kind of man who gets her panties moist. The choices are split up, or go polyamorous, but she's probably such a control freak that the off off chance of Steve actually getting some is too upsetting for her.

I think if the sexes were reversed, and Stephanie Shives were making anti-feminist videos and visibly flinching at the slightest hint of her husband's disapproval, even this board of rape-apologist MRA shitlords would sympathise with her and have no hesitation in calling her husband an abuser and calling for Stephanie to stop putting up with it and get out of there.
OK, Im asking a dumb ass question:

Who the fuck is Steve Shives? And why should I care about him or his cunt?

Googling tells me hes "Internet Famous" and has opinions, but I cant fathom why I should give a shit about those opinions.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm going to get nuked but here it is: the current wave of migrants brings in a population that is maladapted to western democracy, who think the freedom in Western countries is a get-out-of-jail, free-for-all excuse to act like fucking barbarians. Who, in the end, think Western values are a form of weakness to be used and abused.

Politicians know it, and use it.

Case in point, regarding the November Paris attacks:
European Union Commission Vice-President Federica Mogherini and EU defence ministers backed France's request for help in military missions after they invoked Article 42.7 of the Treaty of the European Union for the first time since its creation. Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, rejected calls to rethink the European Union's policy on migration. Dismissing suggestions that open borders led to the attacks, Juncker said he believed that the attacks should be met with a stronger display of liberal values, including internal open borders. The Czech Prime Minister expressed disappointment over Juncker's response
Those people really have no idea how Mediterranean culture (miner included), and muslim culture even more so, work.
Totally agree, with one minor amendment: the maladaption is not limited to the current wave of Muslim migrants. Further it may be the failure of the previous waves of migrants to integrate, understand, appreciate the values of the country they actively sought to live in that have guided the current wave towards blithely expecting to continue to express their customs, beliefs and values utterly unchanged from their country of origin.

My context for this comes from having spent a decade living a few miles away from one of the most densely Muslim-populated areas of Britain: Bradford (also the birthplace of my grandad). A place that in large parts was essentially a no-go area, where you would be driving it through it and you had to check yourself that you weren't actually in downtown Islamabad.

A city where the monumental failure to be a diverse beacon of multi-cultural Britain has been firmly placed at the feet of the indigenous locals who have been branded far-right neo-nazi sympathisers by politicians and social services: people the locals elect and pay for to help improve their lives who have done nothing but shit on and blame them for a failed social experiment thought up and encouraged by the predecessors of the current SJW lunatics.

I remember the riots of 2001, they were supposedly caused by the failure of the locals to intergrate migrants into their community. Islamaphobia, far-right, neo-nazi, all the buzzwords were trotted out by the council, social workers, university twats.

The city now has the highest rate of marriages between 1st cousins - 60% within the Asian population. Unsurprisingly, it is also home to the highest rate of child deaths from genetic defects.

It also home to one of five Sharia Councils in the UK. The Sharia system was described by the local MP as being "about women being able to access services according to a cultural context". Not, of course, about men being able to control and continue abusing women has been shown in numerous undercover operations. Not, of course, about denying rights to women in a country that fought long and hard to establish equality before the law for women.

[.img]http://media.breitbart.com/media/2015/0 ... 40x480.png[/img]

Sorry, rant over, but it fucks me off so much that nothing has been learnt from the last 30-40 years, except how to blame Western Europeans for problems that have their roots in a sick religion and culture in the middle east that is completely incompatible with European culture that values equality, knowledge and freedom of expression. I'm fucked if I'm going to let some bearded, sexist, homophobic bastards with a delusional belief in a paedophile warlord on a flying horse take us all back to the middle ages.
This ^^^, a thousand times this: "I'm mad as hell ...." so to speak. Anybody up for a bit of population transfer as the Greeks did some 100 years ago? Maybe nuking Mecca - from orbit, just to be sure - for good measure? [Tigzy - please note: hyperbole ...]

But maybe of some related interest, a recent story suggests that the scales are starting to fall from the eyes of some politicians, Merkel in this case: Sex attackers risk deportation - Merkel

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

feathers wrote:

My grandfather (Willy Robert, left) with François Truffaut (center). My grandfather was the boss of the largest Netherlands subtitle factory at the time.
Which one would that be?
You know what, I have no fucking idea what the name was. The factory was in the Schreveningen neighborhood of Den Haag. We used to have a small apartment there. The factory has been razed and is now a post office, if I'm not mistaken. I spent many summers there.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Did anybody else think Star Wars was a pile of wank? Maybe it got better near the end but I wouldn't know- I walked out half way through. Utter fucking shite.
What, even Dark Raider and C25?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Silly Giliell has a follow up to her previous (non) comments about the Cologne situation. All credit to her, she is actually one of the few baboons who are willing to engage with it, though - no suprise - what she comes out with is largely a load of old toot:
Good morning
OK, some update on what happened in Germany, or better said, the current discussion which is frustrating beyond belief,
Something tells me, Giliell, that your frustration is not going to be rooted in empathy for the women who were assaulted.
First of all there’s the word “unprecedented”.
No, thought not. *sigh* Okay, well - let's hear it.
Really? There are 10 reported rapes every Oktoberfest, with an estimate of 200 (!) rapes, and that’s only the rapes.
Yeah, but we're not talking about Oktoberfest here. This might offer some clue as to why the word 'unprecedented' may or may not have been heavily deployed (cos I dunno, Giliell, I do have a bit of trouble taking you on your word)
And it’s hardly a place where the disenfranchised young muslim men meet.
Now that's curious - why specify 'disenfranchised' here? Are you saying that...well, er, 'enfranchised' young muslim men would not be prone to such lewdness? Because if you are, then you're opening one big fuck-off can of problematic if you also believe in patriarchy theory and white/western supremicism (as I suspect you do). Still not seeing the joins here, Gil? Okay - lemme spell it out: White men in a patriarchal, racist society would be about as far from being disenfranchised as you can get. Assuming that disenfranchisement leads to the kind of behavior we saw in cologne, then wherefore art rape-culture amongst the cishet white male landed shitlordery, Gil?

But that's only if you believe in patriarchy theory, of course. And have some other, peculiar reason for specifying 'disenfranchised' in this context.
What’s more, last year a woman was assaulted by an acquaintance who grabbed her under the skirt.
Yes, okay, you got one rather milquetoast data point there. Good for you.
She defended herself with the beer keg.
Actually, that's a pretty good data point.
Guess who was charged with grieve assault? Right.
Yeah, but the white men who charged her were probably disenfranchised ones, so there's that.
So don’t give me your unprecedented fuck.
You sure are angry about this 'unprecedented' thing. Anything else you're angry about? Like, say, the pain of the women who were assault-
Then there’s all the people who suddenly care about sexual assault.
Ah. Right.
They’re also all the people who usually dismiss it.
Which is kind of funny, seeing as the people who tend to go on about sexual assault all the fuckin time seem strangely dismissive of this particular incident.
If you’ve ever been a victim of sexual assault by strangers in public you know the reactions. I’ve had my share of men groping me. Of groping my ass while passing on a fucking bicycle.
Coming from you, that's just a humblebrag.
Their common attribute wasn’t their ethnic origin
It was their disenfranchisement!!
but their gender.
Oh.
And if you know the reaction you’re getting from friends and family you can imagine how often this has worked before somebody had enough courage to report. Right now it’s safe to report. Right now you will be believed.
Yeah, whatever. Anything remotely decent to say, Gil?
But of course we already had “good advice” from the mayor of Cologne (a woman, would you believe it) on how to keep yourself safe: Just stay out of the reach of strangers. That works very well in public…
Not bad. Getting there. You prolly should have specified 'disenfranchised' before the strangers, though. But still - progress.
Are muslim men on average more patriarchal? Yep, not even an argument there.
Whoa - careful now. You're starting to sound almost sane here.
But usually their victims are their own wives and daughters, their sisters and cousins and nobody gives a fuck.
...and then you go and ruin it. Now, that 'usually' might well apply, but that's not to say that anything outside of the 'usually' shouldn't be significant, right Giliell? Because those girls raped in Rotherham certainly weren't the 'wives, daughters, sisters & cousins' of the perps - and to dismiss this series of incidences merely because they *might* be a bit sideways to the norm would be a 'Dear Muslima' dismissal far, far viler than what Dawkins came up with. Still, Gil, you do have a point about the 'nobody giving a fuck': in Rotherham, the statements of the girls and their families were indeed pretty much dismissed. Mostly by people like yourself.

http://www.theshoopsroost.com/2015/12/3 ... mment-6315

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:

Googling tells me hes "Internet Famous" and has opinions, but I cant fathom why I should give a shit about those opinions.

Shives is a youtube atheist who made his name (like all youtube atheist) by taking the piss out of really religious people. Once that got old he moved on to hey look at me I am a feminist think. I never got into him myself but I see the appear.

As to the videos with his wife being removed. I think it's simply people have been making a lot of comments about her and he wants to do what he can to stop it. I am completely cool with that.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Kirbmarc wrote:Yep, comparing men and women flirting is JUST THE SAME as saying that blackface is OK. Because women are so horribly oppressed by being flirted with that it's just as bad as racism and slavery.

Meanwhile on the same newspaper an author blames the victims of real sexual assault from "poor, oppresed migrants" for being young, rich and having smartphones.

I guess that the moral is that Gayle should convert to Islam. Then he'll be fine.
That sounds as if the author has not met many migrants, because the majority, including refugees, does have smartphones, if my daily observations are anything to go by.

Got any link?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Eskarina wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Yep, comparing men and women flirting is JUST THE SAME as saying that blackface is OK. Because women are so horribly oppressed by being flirted with that it's just as bad as racism and slavery.

That sounds as if the author has not met many migrants, because the majority, including refugees, does have smartphones, if my daily observations are anything to go by.

Got any link?
Yes

Dave

Post by Dave »

Heres an intersectional win:

Apparently Bitch Media is hiring an Executive Editor: https://bitchmedia.org/were-hiring-executive-editor

Scroll down to the bottom:
Office location is not ADA accessible.
and also:
Bitch Media is located in Portland, OR. This is not a remote position.
So now the gimps are up in arms. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:

Shives is a youtube atheist who made his name (like all youtube atheist) by taking the piss out of really religious people. Once that got old he moved on to hey look at me I am a feminist think. I never got into him myself but I see the appear.

As to the videos with his wife being removed. I think it's simply people have been making a lot of comments about her and he wants to do what he can to stop it. I am completely cool with that.
IOW, nothing I should give a rats ass about. Cool.

Dunno why, but from the way people were talking, I thought he might have been someone outside of youboob.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:

Me too. Nowt wrong with a guy having a chivalrous attitude and wanting to protect the refined and delicate sensibilities of his woman.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: This ^^^, a thousand times this: "I'm mad as hell ...." so to speak. Anybody up for a bit of population transfer as the Greeks did some 100 years ago? Maybe nuking Mecca - from orbit, just to be sure - for good measure? [Tigzy - please note: hyperbole ...]
Whatever. I can't be arsed anymore. You're like a kind of boring allah, Steers. In the end, one can only submit - out of sheer, thrumming boredom from the pounding relentlessness of your drivel.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: This ^^^, a thousand times this: "I'm mad as hell ...." so to speak. Anybody up for a bit of population transfer as the Greeks did some 100 years ago? Maybe nuking Mecca - from orbit, just to be sure - for good measure? [Tigzy - please note: hyperbole ...]
Whatever. I can't be arsed anymore. You're like a kind of boring allah, Steers. In the end, one can only submit - out of sheer, thrumming boredom from the pounding relentlessness of your drivel.

[youtube]7Q8hAb230OE[/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:
<snip>
Are muslim men on average more patriarchal? Yep, not even an argument there.
Whoa - careful now. You're starting to sound almost sane here.
But usually their victims are their own wives and daughters, their sisters and cousins and nobody gives a fuck.
...and then you go and ruin it. Now, that 'usually' might well apply, but that's not to say that anything outside of the 'usually' shouldn't be significant, right Giliell? Because those girls raped in Rotherham certainly weren't the 'wives, daughters, sisters & cousins' of the perps - and to dismiss this series of incidences merely because they *might* be a bit sideways to the norm would be a 'Dear Muslima' dismissal far, far viler than what Dawkins came up with. Still, Gil, you do have a point about the 'nobody giving a fuck': in Rotherham, the statements of the girls and their families were indeed pretty much dismissed. Mostly by people like yourself.

http://www.theshoopsroost.com/2015/12/3 ... mment-6315
Nobody gives a fuck about violence against Muslim women except maybe, just maybe, some atheist and secular writers, including one who you and your friends have labeled an Irish wanker and a demented fuckwit.

Oh and Dawkins, when he wrote Dear Muslima, showed that he gave a fuck about violence against Muslim women. More than about awkward flirting in elevators, which seems reasonable to me and most people.

Gilliel needs to realize that it's not "our" side which "doesn't give a fuck" about sexual assault. It's the side which doesn't want investigations, doesn't want to involve the authorities, doesn't want to check and verifiy which "doesn't give a fuck" about the truth but only about politics and ideology.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Fortunately not everyone else is so obtuse, or has such a low threshold, or is unwilling to read the writing on the wall:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Fortunately not everyone else is so obtuse, or has such a low threshold, or is unwilling to read the writing on the wall:
Except for the fact that a "population transfer" of all Muslims will throw liberal Muslim with the Wahabites and Salafites, and women with men, children with adults, etc.

If anyone needs to be expelled they're those who committ crimes. We also need to give precedence for refugee status to the people who are really targeted by ISIS. Let others wait and be thoroughly vetted.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just saw this on Twitter. It made me chortle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYNdSE8WQAAwTc5.png:large

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:Just saw this on Twitter. It made me chortle.

Not for not but Dillahunty is probably right.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

comhcinc wrote:

You're aware of the Dillahunty/Atheism Plus debacle, right?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

You're aware of the Dillahunty/Atheism Plus debacle, right?

Completely but I also know that Dusty is just an idiot.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Dave wrote:Heres an intersectional win:

Apparently Bitch Media is hiring an Executive Editor: https://bitchmedia.org/were-hiring-executive-editor

Scroll down to the bottom:
Office location is not ADA accessible.
and also:
Bitch Media is located in Portland, OR. This is not a remote position.
So now the gimps are up in arms. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Unless BM works out of someone's house, why the hell isn't it ADA accessible?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The funniest Dillhaunty moment was when he infiltrated the Atheism Plus forum with a false account to play devil's advocate and gather evidence that they weren't as bigoted and dogmatic as everyone else said.

They dogpiled on him and expelled him when he admitted the truth. :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

comhcinc wrote: Completely but I also know that Dusty is just an idiot.
Therefore not too stupid to debate Dolly 'Gawsh Mister Lew-thor' Dillahunty.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Tigzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:

Me too. Nowt wrong with a guy having a chivalrous attitude and wanting to protect the refined and delicate sensibilities of his woman.
True. Still, Mrs. Steve Shives, eh? Fucking hell.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote:

The funniest Dillhaunty moment was when he infiltrated the Atheism Plus forum with a false account to play devil's advocate and gather evidence that they weren't as bigoted and dogmatic as everyone else said.

They dogpiled on him and expelled him when he admitted the truth. :lol:
Indeed. And then he maintained afterwards that the Atheism Plus forum was still not at all as bigoted and dogmatic as people were saying. :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Completely but I also know that Dusty is just an idiot.
Thereforenottoo stupid to debate Dolly 'Gawsh Mister Lew-thor' Dillahunty.

FIFY and I also agree with your characterization of Dillahunty.