Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Tony Parsehole

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Tony Parsehole »

But it's a fashion faux pas for Bad Dad Fritzl. Josef looked unkempt and run-down in this mugshot. His hang dog expression and crumpled shirt make him seem like a man twice his age. And WHAT is with THAT hair? Hello, Josef, have you HEARD of a comb?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... 226282.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

feathers wrote:
Für Sie, gnädiges Fräulein:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ellung.jpg
The neighborhood social media site has already had several posts along the lines of "I found a drone in my backyard. If you can describe it …" or "My son's drone flew off and is lost somewhere …"

I think the DIY entrepreneurs (typically they were already into flying remote-controlled helicopters or planes) who have set up drone flying schools are really clever.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

rayshul wrote:How was your 2015 pitizens? Any goals for the new year?

<snip>
Okay, here's my rant about last year's New Year's resolution:

I've never made such resolutions before, but I was at a New Year's party, they were going from person to person and I had been drinking. I said, lose 40 lbs., start riding my bike and get up to at least 50 mile trips 2-3X/week and be able to take long hikes (more than 10 miles without breaking a sweat).

So by August, I had lost 38 lbs, was taking 30 mile hikes (only stopping to refill water bottles) and was cranking out 80+ mile bike rides. But in August it was hot and humid for a long period. Apparently, people my age shouldn't overdo it in the heat. I thought I was doing the right thing by drinking 64 oz of H2O, cutting my ride down to 40 miles and taking a couple of breaks in the shade instead of cranking it out like I usually do. On one ride, I ended up getting heat exhaustion pretty bad and ended up lying in a ditch by the side of the trail. I felt like Phil. Luckily some people stopped and spent some time cooling me off, etc.

So, I rested a few days and decided to stick to walking. I didn't get too far, before feeling quite sick again, I guess this heat exhaustion thing can stay with you for a while...months even. Next, I started walking at night when it was cool. Even though I had flashing lights on, people kept trying to run me over in the crosswalks. I got the police called on me for being a suspicious person in the neighborhood at dark. So, I decided to stop entirely until it cooled down...that took several weeks (record high temperatures being set). I didn't start up again and went off my diet.

Now I've gained back 20 lbs and have to almost start over and I'm kind of pissed. I don't think I'll make another resolution, since the last almost killed me.

But you guys go ahead. Except you, Phil.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Tribble wrote:
<snip>

To illustrate a typical case, Myth Busters did thing on 'throws like a girl.' Adam Savage is big-time liberal so he completely contrived the 'experiment' so he could get the results he wanted. And his conclusion was 'there was no difference.'

However, in the real world, we know that men throw harder, faster and further than women. We can see this at all levels, from elementary school (where it's small, but there) to high-school where it rapidly diverges to the favor of young men during puberty. And we have all the records to prove it. Yet it is considered an unimpeachable point of 'truth,' by way too many on the left, that these differences are not inherent to the superior musculature and size of men, but are caused by discrimination against girls & women.
Hm. I always thought "throw like a girl" was less about velocity and more about poor technique (e.g., stepping with the dominant foot, or "pushing" the projectile rather than "catapulting" it). In other words, "throw like someone who never learned how to throw."

Yet, to your point: I also can imagine that, for some people—mostly bepenised ones, I'd wager—throwing properly isn't something that needs to be taught at all. It's an interesting question, and I'm sure Myth Busters didn't answer it.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:But it's a fashion faux pas for Bad Dad Fritzl. Josef looked unkempt and run-down in this mugshot. His hang dog expression and crumpled shirt make him seem like a man twice his age. And WHAT is with THAT hair? Hello, Josef, have you HEARD of a comb?

Is this a job for Godfrey's gay brother, Humphrey Elfwick?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Hm. I always thought "throw like a girl" was less about velocity and more about poor technique (e.g., stepping with the dominant foot, or "pushing" the projectile rather than "catapulting" it).
Your first thought matches the data, but not the parenthetical. The key difference between how a typical male throws (with his dominant arm) and how a typical females throws (again, with the dominant arm) has more to do with interaction torques than "pushing" or "catapulting." As an example of what I'm talking about, if you rotate your shoulder (only), your elbow will first bend back and then swing forward at the end. (Think about waving anything floppy, such as a basement dweller watching the latest Rebecca Watson video.) The typical male using his dominant arm actually capitalizes on these proximal to distal interactions at joints to produce more velocity when throwing. This is the key difference between the dominant and non-dominant arms: we use planning to use interaction torques in the former, we don't in that latter (as it seems to use more feedback-based programming, which is why the non-dominant arms is better at holding a stable posture). A typical female's dominant arm also uses planned movements, but doesn't capitalize on interaction torques as well. It's almost as if a female's dominant arm is quite as dominant.

Billie from Ockham

* isn't quite as dominant

fucking edit button / inability to proof-read

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

http://i.imgur.com/MA2IeYf.jpg*

Ass of the year

In Polish:

Osioł roku

-----------------

*click on it for super hi res

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The only New Year's resolution I ever kept was to to stop making New Year's resolutions.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There are a huge number of false cases with FC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

After a week's abstinence, I finally peeked at my Disqus notices. Apparently, my controversial, gender-fluidity-erasing comment was too inflammatory for Libby Anne at Man Hate Feminism to let out of moderation:
Matt Cavanaugh, transphobic, hyper-skeptical shitlord wrote:Binary sexual reproduction is 900 million years old.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/MA2IeYf.jpg*

Ass of the year

In Polish:

Osioł roku

-----------------

Congratulations!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Ass of the year

In Polish:

Osioł roku

-----------------

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/62324017.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

An interesting interview with Janet Hardy, who was in Australia for the Festival of Really Good Sex.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Latest from the Has Nothing to Do With Atheism Dept.:

Prosecutor will not file charges in fatal shooting of Tamir Rice
Dan Arel, hyperbolic SJW cunt wrote:This is another case in which officers are not held accountable for the systematic killing of young black men in America.

No charges for officer that killed Tamir Rice
Matthew Facciani, outraged! SJW slacktivist cunt wrote:I’m just so sick of seeing white cops kill black people in my country. It’s outrageous that they can continue to get away with it as well. Outrage is important to motivate people to call out these problems and change our culture. However, as a white person, it’s a privilege to only be outraged about these events because I don’t have to fear for my life as well.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

In the spirit of trans*, my new avatar = me as a 13 yo boy.

windy

Post by windy »

Kirbmarc wrote:
another lurker wrote:The Irish are trans-brown
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... a-confirms
The ancestors of the Stone Age farmers began their journey in the Bible lands, where agriculture first began, and arrived in Ireland perhaps via the southern Mediterranean. They brought with them cattle, cereals, ceramics and a tendency to black hair and brown eyes.
All European countries have been populated by many waves of immigration from south of the Mediterrean, or from the Middle East, or from the Asian-Black Sea steppes.

Many other European countries have more recent waves of immigration from Africa, the Middle East or Western Asia. The genome of most "white" countries shows a variety of contributions from what we call now "brown" or "black" areas.

Only the most remote islands, like Iceland, show a pretty much uniform genetic makeup from "white" settlers.
All Europeans, including Icelanders, are a mix of 'local' hunter-gatherers and the later-arriving farmers and herders in various proportions (except some parts, like Iceland, weren't colonised until after the mixing had already happened):

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29213892

Stone Age European farmers are genetically most similar to modern day Sardinians, so maybe not "brown" enough for social justice points?

https://stanfordcehg.wordpress.com/2014 ... of-europe/

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Tony Parsehole wrote:But it's a fashion faux pas for Bad Dad Fritzl. Josef looked unkempt and run-down in this mugshot. His hang dog expression and crumpled shirt make him seem like a man twice his age. And WHAT is with THAT hair? Hello, Josef, have you HEARD of a comb?

Don't forget Gary!

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/image ... -large.jpg

windy

Post by windy »

mordacious1 wrote: Now I've gained back 20 lbs and have to almost start over and I'm kind of pissed. I don't think I'll make another resolution, since the last almost killed me.

But you guys go ahead. Except you, Phil.
Recent experiments (not to be replicated on Phil) also suggest that exercise can shorten your life:
As in previous studies, aerobic capacity at young age was a strong predictor of lifespan in animals. Voluntary running increased aerobic capacity in both rat strains and improved glucose metabolism in LCR rats. However, physical activity started at adulthood did not increase lifespan in animals. Animals in the voluntary running group had actually 16% shorter lifespan compared to the corresponding sedentary controls.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

rayshul wrote:There are a huge number of false cases with FC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication
That FC shit is shit.

Back when I was volunteering with a therapeutic horseback riding program, I worked with a non-verbal autistic boy who was becoming quite the young rider. He only needed one side-walker, primarily to make sure that he didn't just decide to hop off the pony or stand on top of the saddle or hug the pony's neck mid-trot. I led the pony for him, and we were all happy, trotting round and round. Pony wasn't the least bit bothered by the kid's unusual vocalizations. Kid dragged his parents to the pony's stall after riding to show off his new friend. We were all happy and making progress.

And then the FC therapist showed up. Soooo distracting. Soooo useless. Pissed me right off, but of course the bitch had to huff and puff around the arena with us, trying to get the kid to point at things on some stupid mat draped over the pony's withers. ugh!

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Hm. I always thought "throw like a girl" was less about velocity and more about poor technique (e.g., stepping with the dominant foot, or "pushing" the projectile rather than "catapulting" it).
Your first thought matches the data, but not the parenthetical. The key difference between how a typical male throws (with his dominant arm) and how a typical females throws (again, with the dominant arm) has more to do with interaction torques than "pushing" or "catapulting." As an example of what I'm talking about, if you rotate your shoulder (only), your elbow will first bend back and then swing forward at the end. (Think about waving anything floppy, such as a basement dweller watching the latest Rebecca Watson video.) The typical male using his dominant arm actually capitalizes on these proximal to distal interactions at joints to produce more velocity when throwing. This is the key difference between the dominant and non-dominant arms: we use planning to use interaction torques in the former, we don't in that latter (as it seems to use more feedback-based programming, which is why the non-dominant arms is better at holding a stable posture). A typical female's dominant arm also uses planned movements, but doesn't capitalize on interaction torques as well. It's almost as if a female's dominant arm is quite as dominant.
Interesting. Thanks, chief.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Brive1987 wrote: I didn't even notice that admission. Her template jazz hands resonate as strongly as other nothingisms such as "my fellow americans" .

I was looking for an "OMG, apologies and never again". Oh well.
Apologizing at the start of her videos has become a meaningless verbal tic. It's just background now, like the first drawn out "ummmm" or the smirky little half shrug thing she does when she says her name in the body language equivalent of "no duh"

Either ferociously own your lateness or just don't mention it. But don't apologize more than once, and certainly not in almost every single video. Not only does that make you look completely weak and incompetent, it makes you look like you don't give a shit about your honesty or your apologies. It almost makes you seem like the sort of person who might trouser the left-over donations to what was supposed to be your legal defense fund, while proclaiming that you were putting it in safe-keeping to ameliorate the legal costs of some hypothetical future victim of a lawsuit. You know, a grifter.

I'm actually glad people donate to her fund. Every dollar those rubes spend on keeping Becky in video-games and Dr Zogs is a dollar not going to one of the more effectual SJWs like um... errr..

Hmmm...

Oh, I know! Anita Sarkeesian. Sarkeesian may turn out limply evidenced videos at a pace that glaciers would bitch about, but they have OK production values, and she is somewhat influential.

Becky just ties up the resources that someone like Anita could have used. She is, in a way, like a grassroots insurgent for the Slymepit.

It's an interesting exercise, trying to come up with a list of SJWs who deliver quality content reliably. Brianna Wu promised a port of Revolution 60 to the PC in October at the latest (actually, the original estimate for project completion given on Kickstarter was 16 months ago, but whatevs). Since the mid October and through November, completion has been "just a week away" several times. Wu sends many tweets through the day, but rarely addresses the game - instead bragging about attending conferences, play and finishing multiple games like Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, etc). Now it is the year end, and the port is still not done.

Kiwifar.ms believe that because Wu cycled through multiple artists and coders during the original concept, running out contracts and then hiring in again before eventually laying off the whole team, she's a victim of her own assholery, stuck with a mess of code and graphics files that were done on the cheap and in a rush in a rather disconnected way. She doesn't really have the skills required to troubleshoot, but has already promised a game that will only ship after exemplary QA. Instead, she's faffing around with shaders to demonstrate stuff that should have been completed months ago.

The image Wu has tried to cultivate of the successful woman in tech beating sexism and making it on her own is looking increasingly threadbare, especially after the snark earlier this year from some members of her (all-female) dev team.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

feathers wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:She's back. Tedious and no acknowledgement of weeks of MIA.

[.youtube]SpZyf2JDcjg[/youtube]

Is she storing nuts in her cheeks? She looks really puffy.
Perhaps she bit off someone's nuts and keeps them for a cold winter?
Methinks there's been more 'drinking beer' than 'surfing waves', lately.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

The amount of hate I feel towards her because she doesn't know the correct name of the song is irrational, but I can't help it.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I think a significant amount of the difference is due to physics, i.e. anatomy. Men generally have longer torsos, whereas women have longer legs. The center of gravity is different for a man and a woman who are about the same height and weight, which becomes very apparent if you've ever played co-ed soccer or ultimate frisbee, and had a seemingly innocuous collision during a scrimmage. I think the center of gravity and proportionally longer torso make a difference for skills like throwing, and hitting a ball with some sort of stick. No amount of practice, watching 10-goalers hit the ball and mimicking their form, or innate hand-eye coordination will allow me to hit a polo ball as far as almost any male polo player. My accuracy and timing might be just as good, but not the distance. It's incredibly frustrating, but there it is.

I had an analogous discussion with a student who wondered how chimps could be so freakishly strong - strong enough to rip the arms off an adult human, for example. Student thought there was some biochemical or ultrastructural difference in the chimp's muscle cells, but I doubt that's the case. I think it's anatomy and physics, relative lengths of bones, joint structure, and muscle attachments.

Billie from Ockham

BarnOwl wrote:I think a significant amount of the difference is due to physics, i.e. anatomy. Men generally have longer torsos, whereas women have longer legs. The center of gravity is different for a man and a woman who are about the same height and weight, which becomes very apparent if you've ever played co-ed soccer or ultimate frisbee, and had a seemingly innocuous collision during a scrimmage. I think the center of gravity and proportionally longer torso make a difference for skills like throwing, and hitting a ball with some sort of stick. No amount of practice, watching 10-goalers hit the ball and mimicking their form, or innate hand-eye coordination will allow me to hit a polo ball as far as almost any male polo player. My accuracy and timing might be just as good, but not the distance. It's incredibly frustrating, but there it is.

I had an analogous discussion with a student who wondered how chimps could be so freakishly strong - strong enough to rip the arms off an adult human, for example. Student thought there was some biochemical or ultrastructural difference in the chimp's muscle cells, but I doubt that's the case. I think it's anatomy and physics, relative lengths of bones, joint structure, and muscle attachments.
The arms of men and women are very similar, but when you bring the whole body into the discussion of throwing, then I agree. Besides center-of-mass differences, the shape and orientation of the ilium plays a large role in that women have much more difficulty using their legs to aid in throwing. (Side-note: it is actually quite reasonable for women to play under-hand softball, instead of over-hand baseball, as throwing from lower using a "windmill" motion actually uses the difference in a positive way.) The final difference is the one that is most relevant to the question of the effects of brain/cognitive differences on throwing: women show smaller and less efficient anticipatory posture adjustments (APAs) compared to men. An APA is a set of involuntary contractions prior to an action that is likely to produce reaction forces. For example, when you are about to drop a heavy object that you're holding out in front of you (which is one of the tasks that we use to study this), there are changes in the contractions of torso muscles to compensate for the expected change in load. In typical men, these APAs are incredibly-well times, such that a guy can drop 10% of his total mass without much change in standing position. A typical woman cannot do this; she will either rock back and forth or simply need a smaller % of her mass. In any event, efficient APAs are required whenever you exert force, as you do when you throw. Without them, you become inaccurate as your body rocks forward or backwards. If you seen a girl (or a guy with no practice) throw a ball into the ground or over the head of the target, then you've seen the failure of APAs in action (as it were).

If you need me to be fair about this, I can give examples of when the programming style of the typical female is "better"; this would include almost anything involving maintaining a posture when being pushed. I won't do this, of course, because even suggesting that men are wired to be better at hitting things while women are wired to be better at taking a punch might come across as slightly uncool. With that said (or not said), if compare F/M to M/F spanking videos, you'd probably come to the same conclusion without my help or any of the kinesiology literature.

Really?

Post by Really? »

BarnOwl wrote:
I think a significant amount of the difference is due to physics, i.e. anatomy. Men generally have longer torsos, whereas women have longer legs. The center of gravity is different for a man and a woman who are about the same height and weight, which becomes very apparent if you've ever played co-ed soccer or ultimate frisbee, and had a seemingly innocuous collision during a scrimmage. I think the center of gravity and proportionally longer torso make a difference for skills like throwing, and hitting a ball with some sort of stick. No amount of practice, watching 10-goalers hit the ball and mimicking their form, or innate hand-eye coordination will allow me to hit a polo ball as far as almost any male polo player. My accuracy and timing might be just as good, but not the distance. It's incredibly frustrating, but there it is.

I am curious as to what would have happened had you said the above bolded sentences at Fallon Fox's somehow skepticism-related discussion at Skepticon.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Ass of the year

In Polish:

Osioł roku

-----------------

That is precisely what I had in mind! :clap: :dance:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Barn Owl wrote:
[quote]

[quote]
I had heard, and don't know if it is true, but that other mammals are significantly stronger than humans because humans have rerouted much of their available energy to fuel their giant brains.
:lol: :lol: :P :shifty: :think:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Matthew Hopkins investigates a RationalWiki editor's claims of harrassment - http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=2963

I'm a little uncomfortable that the police gave the full report of the bloke's interactions.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

feathers

Post by feathers »

BarnOwl wrote:The neighborhood social media site has already had several posts along the lines of "I found a drone in my backyard. If you can describe it …" or "My son's drone flew off and is lost somewhere …"
It has been captured and is now being kvestioned by zee Gestapo.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Billie from Ockham wrote: ...With that said (or not said), if compare F/M to M/F spanking videos, you'd probably come to the same conclusion without my help or any of the kinesiology literature.
It's good to see other scientists replicating my Japanese Schoolgirl experiments. Science marches on!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Thunderfoot has some retards in his comments putting forth the argument that referring to quadcopters as "drones" is a media scare tactic, and that the term should only be reserved for flying vehicles without remote operators (which wouldn't even apply to military drones, so who the fuck knows what these dipshits are talking about).

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

rayshul wrote:There are a huge number of false cases with FC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication
Striking how many of them involve false accusations of sexual abuse.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Billie from Ockham wrote:From what I can see in the Vanity Fair cover, If Jenner is still packing, it must be a bit less than the average Caucasian.
A transvestite friend of mine considers himself quite good at tucking his parts in, so as to minimize how much shows. He also considers himself male and is honest about being into cross-dressing for the fun of it. He sometimes has parties where he does stage shows and pretends to sing along to various pieces of music.

Classic drag queens are way more honest about themselves than the gender-identity crowd.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Sunder wrote:Thunderfoot has some retards in his comments putting forth the argument that referring to quadcopters as "drones" is a media scare tactic, and that the term should only be reserved for flying vehicles without remote operators (which wouldn't even apply to military drones, so who the fuck knows what these dipshits are talking about).
I think they have a point that the word "drone" has been tarnished by loooooong media and political perceptions. Personally I don't see why it's so much more morally objectionable to blow people up with unpiloted drones than with aircraft that's worth millions more for the same or worse results, as if it's somehow unsporting and the exploded would have some sort of a chance against the overpriced, overdesigned, overengineered multimillion dollar machines just because there's a pilot in them. But "drone" has become a political buzzword, filled with negative connotations, of stealth, spying, cowardice, destruction. I think there are rational concerns about these itty bitty "drones", from legal to personal, but I also think there's a fair ammount of straight up paranoia. Calling them "drones" immediately attaches all these associations with it.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]SpZyf2JDcjg[/youtube]
She's planning another Quizatron. Has she ever had one yet that hasn't been cancelled or quietly disappeared?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]SpZyf2JDcjg[/youtube]
If anyone makes it to near the end of the video, she says she's going to Vegas, and that she's going to drink mai-tai's by the pool. Then, she admits that no, she's not really going to the pool - she likes gambling, so she'll be drinking Jack while playing poker and blackjack. I didn't know she had the gambling bug.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

paddybrown wrote:
Striking how many of them involve false accusations of sexual abuse.
Not very surprising, given that SJWs seem to do a heckuvalot of the FC shit. You know, giving voice to the voiceless bullshittery. And they're obsessed with sexual abuse.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

This was a damn good watch:

[youtube]645rgR1JoEQ[/youtube]

I adored Psychonauts when I played it but I don't trust Tim Schafer with money at all.

I mean, I actually dislike the guy now on a personal level because he's acted like such an asshole in past few years, but I'd still probably be okay with buying a finished and good-quality product from him. I'd just never get suckered into giving him a nickel for potentially empty promises.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Just in case PZ is reading here, I have a christmas present for him.

At http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/drones/index.html , there are drone rules for Minnesota!

The good news at the start of the page is no registration with the FAA is needed for recreational use...
Register Your Drone
MnDOT Requires UAS with FAA-Issued
N-Numbers to be Registered
Under Minnesota state law, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or drones are required to be registered with MnDOT Office of Aeronautics. Learn more about Aircraft Registration.

Registration with MnDOT is not required for unmanned aircraft operated solely for recreational use. The FAA does require all UAS operators to register with them.
But further down the page, oh no! It's changed as of December 21st...
Recreational Use
Model aircraft operations are for hobby or recreational purposes only. As of December 21, 2015, all operators of unmanned aircraft are required to register with the FAA.
Register at http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration.

In general, recreational users are encouraged to follow these safety guidelines:

Do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.

Yield the right of way to manned aircraft. See and avoid other aircraft at all times.

Do not endanger persons or property. No intentional overflight of moving vehicles or unprotected persons. Fly no closer than 25 feet.

Fly no higher than necessary (less than 400 feet). Remain below surrounding obstacles when possible.

Avoid operations in close proximity to airports. When within 5 miles of an airport, contact the airport/Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Ensure pilot competency/proficiency and the safe operation of the aircraft.

Remain within visual line of sight (VLOS). Use a spotter when necessary/appropriate.

Learn more about model aircraft operations. [ http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/ ]
Get that registration in, PZ. You're 9 days late! :D

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Julie Bindel's brand of feminism v Islam:
I'm sure the two speakers think they are at opposite poles, but in reality they have a lot more in common than they realise.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

If you're honest, you'll admit that there has been no "rational debate" on semen fetishes after that series of posts by Dr Richard Carrier PhD. Thus, one of his claims remains unfalsified.

ps. I'm very much enjoying these "year-in-review" posts ... thanks
Cheers.

And yes, he holds the field undisputed when it comes to semenology. :cdc:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

rayshul wrote:How was your 2015 pitizens? Any goals for the new year?

Mine are -

To get a new job in IT
To get fit
To not have anyone I love die
To finish and sell my new novel (early parts available for peeps interested)
To keep my house tidy
To go on a holiday to Affrriiicaaaa & pseudo-Europe as I've been promising my rellies for years
To get more involved in the great free speech wars of our timeeessss

Also some linkage from Spiked - http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... d.facebook
Just cause lots of people have that same goal this time of year-- I freaking love Fitness Blender:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/

How to find any workout:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos
Can sort by time, difficulty, muscle groups you want to hit, etc.

Their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

Free free free free free. No plugs for supplements/equipment/clothes/crap. They have no sponsors. You literally do not *have* to have *anything* to do their workouts-- Lots of bodyweight only routines if you dont have adjustable free-weights.

They always show alternative moves if you need low-impact due to an injury (or living in an apartment). Very positive, encouraging, and *knowledgeable* couple.

Looooove theeeeem.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Julie Bindel's brand of feminism v Islam:
I'm sure the two speakers think they are at opposite poles, but in reality they have a lot more in common than they realise.
Is it segregated? If so, where do the transwomen sit?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:
Sunder wrote:Thunderfoot has some retards in his comments putting forth the argument that referring to quadcopters as "drones" is a media scare tactic, and that the term should only be reserved for flying vehicles without remote operators (which wouldn't even apply to military drones, so who the fuck knows what these dipshits are talking about).
I think they have a point that the word "drone" has been tarnished by loooooong media and political perceptions. Personally I don't see why it's so much more morally objectionable to blow people up with unpiloted drones than with aircraft that's worth millions more for the same or worse results, as if it's somehow unsporting and the exploded would have some sort of a chance against the overpriced, overdesigned, overengineered multimillion dollar machines just because there's a pilot in them. But "drone" has become a political buzzword, filled with negative connotations, of stealth, spying, cowardice, destruction. I think there are rational concerns about these itty bitty "drones", from legal to personal, but I also think there's a fair ammount of straight up paranoia. Calling them "drones" immediately attaches all these associations with it.
There's the unstated macho belief that killing is more acceptable if the killer is wading in blood and guts rather than stuffing down Cheetos half a world away.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Shatterface wrote:

Is it segregated? If so, where do the transwomen sit?
The debate took place last year:

[youtube]FQ4fiVQIZGw[/youtube]

I couldn't bear to watch more than a few seconds.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

They're both authoritarians who think that women need to be "liberated as a class" from the burden of the freedom to choose how to live.

Julie Bindel:
And I am sick of hearing from individual women that their men are all right. Those men have been shored up by the advantages of patriarchy and they are complacent, they are not stopping other men from being shit.

I would love to see a women’s liberation that results in women turning away from men and saying: “when you come back as human beings, then we might look again.”
Zara Faris:
The Islamic system is not based on selfish individualism but a God-centred world view promoting mutual reciprocity. In Islam, women do not serve men, nor do men serve women. Rather, we serve God by helping each other and givingto each other based on human needs, with the understanding that humans are not all the same.
Their enemy is the same: individual freedom and individuals. The possibility for others, including women, t reject their ideology or to choose what they want. The values of liberalism and of freedom.

The only difference between Bindel and Faris is that Bindel thinks that women like her should have the power, while Faris thinks that Islamic leaders should have the power.

By the way, Bindel is batshit crazy:
I mean, I would actually put them [men] all in some kind of camp where they can all drive around in quad bikes, or bicycles, or white vans. I would give them a choice of vehicles to drive around with, give them no porn, they wouldn’t be able to fight – we would have wardens, of course! Women who want to see their sons or male loved ones would be able to go and visit, or take them out like a library book, and then bring them back.
Faris is much subtler and much better at disguising her support for Muslim authoritarianism under the guise of being "open to debate" and only criticising "Western infiltration" to "subvert Muslim values".

It's very telling that the Muslim apologist fares much better at debating than the radica feminist.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I'm reading vol. 2 of the 2014 Robert A Heinlein biography. In the first volume he was a superhuman child, Navy officer on a par with a young Kirk Spock or McCoy, beatnik abstract sculptor, Hollywood playboy, political ward-heeler & candidate... for the proto- Bernie Sanders ticket, nudist & swinger, survivor of medical conditions, top-secret wartime military aerospace engineer, One World Government visionary, nuke activist, and more.

In vol. 2 he has settled into growing literary renown, a happy marriage, extensive worldwide tourism. His most spectacular achievements now occur at his typewriter. For example, the social criticism of 'Have Spacesuit, Will Travel'... in which a teenage boy surrounded by television advertising, game shows, Reality TV (in 1954!), brain-dead public schooling, and loopy conventional wisdom... homeschools himself into outer space adventure/ where he is put on trial by aliens to decide whether the human race is too dangerously stupid to let live.

The thing which makes Heinlein's 'keyboard warrior' years worth-reading, is the applicability to our own time. His lefty cred was beyond reproach-- he was govt investigated & his military career blacklisted. Yet his refusal to be a Communist in the 30's, pitted him against the SJW spazzes of his day. In the 50's his tourism convinced him exporting democracy to the 3rd world wouldn't work, and the dictators we armed would backfire. He lost most of his friends for refusing to treat Stalinism as a legitimate alternative to our way of life...much like anyone critical of Islam today. His self-identifying as an uber-liberal couldn't sustain 'softhead' intellectual fads among his would-be peers. He didn't think he changed to become reactionary... The zeitgeist purged him from Regressive liberalism.

In particular, the cultural regressive... the Anita Sarkeesians... tried to apply regressive Victorian censorship to his forward-speculating fiction. The early-50's congressional hearings against comic books had a chilling effect on how his young adult novels were edited. A slaveboy character wasn't allowed to be intolerant toward the religious diversity... of the space-dictator's fascist, murderous state-religion, for example.

I'm only 150 pages in. I don't think Heinlein's specific reactions are a blueprint for today, but it's refreshing to see how resolute he was against insidious sillyshit.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Kirbmarc wrote:Meanwhile Zoey Quinn said that she lies when she donates blood because health and safety measures for blood donors are "homophobic"

THIS is the person who talked at the UN about being "oppressed" by "cyberbullies". A proud health hazard.

Thankfully a medical professional ripped Zoey a new one.
If you pause and digest the absurdity of snarkeesian/hoey speaking to a UN panel (all expenses paid I assume) everything I life becomes much better. Proof positive the human species communally is the retarded clown of intellect.

You would have thought that the UN would have some vetting process to ensure that it actually hears from serious people, rather than crazed self promoting bs peddling Twitter drama whores. The reality that it either doesn't, or thinks arm waving, screeching, Pomo, media hungry, failures at everything except monitizing their vaginas demonstrates the circus exists to justify the circus.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm such a shitlord: I just ordered one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1500_.jpg

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Shatterface wrote:
There's the unstated macho belief that killing is more acceptable if the killer is wading in blood and guts rather than stuffing down Cheetos half a world away.
It sounds similar to the argument about 'Assault Rifles', which is a specific term, but in media and political use covers virtually any semi-automatic rifle with certain furniture or accessories.

However 'drone' has a pretty clear definition which definitely includes hobby quadcopters, even if it has connotations with military pilotless aircraft.

some guy

Post by some guy »

I watched that episode of Myth Busters a while back, and iirc, this is the synopsis:

1. Show typical boy and girl throwing: boy throws like boy (fluid, smooth, effective, fast, etc), girl throws like girl (awkward/clumsy form, mechanically inefficient, slow, etc). (They do video analysis).

2. Show female softball athlete throwing: throws like boy (fluid, smooth, effective, fast, etc).

3. Show typical boy throwing with his opposite arm: throws like girl (awkward/clumsy form, mechanically inefficient, slow, etc).

4. Take-away conclusion: most of what one means by the phrase "throws like a girl" is just what someone unaccustomed in doing that motion with that arm would do when asked.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

rayshul wrote:Matthew Hopkins investigates a RationalWiki editor's claims of harrassment - http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=2963

I'm a little uncomfortable that the police gave the full report of the bloke's interactions.
You got me curious. I agree; it seems strange that domestic violence investigations with no charges resulting should turn up.

The fact that RationalWiki is a giant shitpile shouldn't surprise anyone. A spoonful of SJW toxicity destroys every community that takes it, and yet nobody learns not to let the fuckers through the front door.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube]XjJQBjWYDTs[/youtube]

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Service Dog wrote:[youtube]XjJQBjWYDTs[/youtube]
Convinced me.

Women's sports must be pretty good. I think I'll go check out some beach volleyball - see some real athletes in action.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

I am curious as to what would have happened had you said the above bolded sentences at Fallon Fox's somehow skepticism-related discussion at Skepticon.
She'd punch you like a girl.