Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by jimthepleb »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: So raping cows is 'good news'?

[/PETA]
It's a cultural thing shitlord! Stop oppressing me.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

....it wasn't me.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

jimthepleb wrote: My prediction is that Beccy will die on stage that night.
(This is not a death threat)
Actually scratch that, my experience of (largely British) comedy audiences is that they tend to be full of lefty progressives who are desperate to prove that they are not racist/sexist/xenophobic, so she may well go down a storm.
It takes a lot of work to be a standup comedian and sound natural on stage. Rebecca is allergic to work. Nothing more to be said.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Ape+lust wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Tonight.

http://imgur.com/GzpX1Rl.jpg

Unfortunately, the venue has a no-cameras policy. Hopefully, official video will be provided, because I want my fix of queen bee FLOPSWEAT, dammit!
I await her tweets about how stupid and uncool the audience was; how her jokes would've killed a more sophisticated and hipper crowd.
Hey-O!!

I just flew in from the Mission district and boy, are my arms flabby.

A man came up to me and said, "I haven't had a bite all week." So I blocked 200 people on Twitter and took another shot at Dawkins. Then I bit him.

Take my wife... Peez.

How about that Dawkins guy, huh, what a loser..... No? *tap-tap-tap* Is this on? You guys are worse than rape threats. Good night.
:clap:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jimthepleb wrote:After a period of unemployment and a change of careers into substance misuse counselling for which I have finally finished my initial training and brought a vial of naloxone home today. I have received a phone call tonight offering me a job working with the last milking herd in a 10 mile radius. They have sought me out because my reputation is for being very very gentle on the animals and confronting those I consider abusive. And here I was thinking I had made myself unemployable.
This means I can keep the home I have built with my family, stay in the countryside that I love (Lord of the Rings, Watership Down and Wind in the Willows were all written within a few miles of here) and maintain the trajectory I have worked so hard for as a father. And finally possibly rebuild us out of the grinding poverty we have suffered for the last six months.
It also looks as though I can continue to do both jobs at the same time as the cattle are only milked once a day.
Hurrah! Just wanted to share some good news.
Well done! :clap:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Tribble wrote:
No it wasn't. They were completely and utterly unaffiliated with any terrorist organization.
So far they appear to have been inspired by IS and/or al Qaeda and there is yet to be shown actual links however the investigation is ongoing.
They smashed their computer's hard drive and their phones for some reason, it may be a little early to rule out the possibilities of others being involved.
Boston Marathon bombers. Not the two recent killers.

Malky

Post by Malky »

jimthepleb wrote:After a period of unemployment and a change of careers into substance misuse counselling for which I have finally finished my initial training and brought a vial of naloxone home today. I have received a phone call tonight offering me a job working with the last milking herd in a 10 mile radius. They have sought me out because my reputation is for being very very gentle on the animals and confronting those I consider abusive. And here I was thinking I had made myself unemployable.
This means I can keep the home I have built with my family, stay in the countryside that I love (Lord of the Rings, Watership Down and Wind in the Willows were all written within a few miles of here) and maintain the trajectory I have worked so hard for as a father. And finally possibly rebuild us out of the grinding poverty we have suffered for the last six months.
It also looks as though I can continue to do both jobs at the same time as the cattle are only milked once a day.

Congrats - very pleased for you

Malky

Post by Malky »

Service Dog wrote:Plus I'm disappointed that y'all aren't sufficiently squicked-out by Rebecca Watson. Buncha PZ Myerszes creepos in here.

sWith a different personality Watson could be likeable - with regards to the lady you refer to Surely the only question you need to answer is could you live with her without the money?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

NECSS: Sane.

http://i.imgur.com/f2VPllg.jpg

Skepticon: Insane.
CONDUCT POLICY
Updated May 2, 2014 In addition to complying with the Harassment Policy guidelines, Skepticon Attendees are expected to comply with the following Code of Conduct at all conference events. We define misconduct as deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, disruptive arguments anywhere at the conference, personal verbal attacks, fights, physical a .... http://skepticon.org/policy/
I would post the whole Skepticon policy but, well, you know:

http://i.imgur.com/uLr2epJ.jpg

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Michael J wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: My prediction is that Beccy will die on stage that night.
(This is not a death threat)
Actually scratch that, my experience of (largely British) comedy audiences is that they tend to be full of lefty progressives who are desperate to prove that they are not racist/sexist/xenophobic, so she may well go down a storm.
It takes a lot of work to be a standup comedian and sound natural on stage. Rebecca is allergic to work. Nothing more to be said.
The only question is whether it will be as awful as Elyse's cringeworthy standup efforts. That's a tall order, but I am confident she can do it!

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Congrats, Jim, great news.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Malky wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Plus I'm disappointed that y'all aren't sufficiently squicked-out by Rebecca Watson. Buncha PZ Myerszes creepos in here.

With a different personality, body and brain Watson could be likeable - with regards to the lady you refer to Surely the only question you need to answer is could you live with her without the money?
Ftfy

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Woot woot!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ throws down a challenge.

Though I think the point is that "we" don't really want or need organised ideological rallies. Most in the anti-SJW clan actually want as little to do as possible with the whole circus.

Alas it falls to the Pit to provide oversight over, and poker prods to, the dwindling band of Skeptic/Atheist clowns.

From the SZvan "woe is me" SWW piece.

http://i.imgur.com/6K4Tdcp.jpg
In the 'Pit, koi swim without pattern.
There will be no conference.

#SlymeKoan

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

That's great news! All the best to you and your family and the last milking herd in a 10 mile radius (may their udders be productive).

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Glad to hear that jimthepleb got a job milking cows.
We were all pulling for him.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

El Neener Neener has kicked in, finally. And we are now a balmy 13 °C (55 °F)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Congrats, jimthepleb.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

PZ and Cumbucket Carrier are retards.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

That is all.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

mordacious1 wrote:Glad to hear that jimthepleb got a job milking cows.
You're going to milk that joke aren't you?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Service Dog wrote:An ex-client wants me to do a menial chore. She's being flirty via text, to sway me to say 'yes'. But. Actually seducing her would merely require that I increase my charm level from 'rumpled pair of sweatpants'--> to 'brushed his teeth recently'. I'm 'in' with her, on a personal level.

Her snarkybored demeanor & voice are quite similar to Rebecca Watson. She's a little better looking, not a lot. She's not political, just the occasional feminist bumper-sticker slogan. She's less famous than Watson, but gets some press. The office chicks she hires-- view her like an Annoying Customer In A Fancy Department Store: they don't rush to quit, but they jump to other jobs when opportunity arrives. She does the NYTimes crossword puzzle.

For the first time, I googled her family's wealth. More billions than the Coors beer family, Nordstrom family, Perdue chickenpeople, Tyson chickenpeople, the Hewlitt-Packard Hewlitts, the Amoco family, the family who owns Dow Jones & Co.

Would you romance An Apolitical Billionare version of Rebecca Watson, for rags-to-riches reasons?

I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there. To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Aire.
I'll be the odd dissenting voice here (emphasis on odd, of course) … the more $$$ and the further back the wealth goes, the more vehement the "NOOOOO!!!" You run the risk of being a plaything, an amusement, a curiosity - without ever realizing the depth of her disdain. Ask me how I know, by PM if you like. :bjarte:

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

JackSkeptic wrote:
I agree, it was pretty cheesy.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:
Service Dog wrote:An ex-client wants me to do a menial chore. She's being flirty via text, to sway me to say 'yes'. But. Actually seducing her would merely require that I increase my charm level from 'rumpled pair of sweatpants'--> to 'brushed his teeth recently'. I'm 'in' with her, on a personal level.

Her snarkybored demeanor & voice are quite similar to Rebecca Watson. She's a little better looking, not a lot. She's not political, just the occasional feminist bumper-sticker slogan. She's less famous than Watson, but gets some press. The office chicks she hires-- view her like an Annoying Customer In A Fancy Department Store: they don't rush to quit, but they jump to other jobs when opportunity arrives. She does the NYTimes crossword puzzle.

For the first time, I googled her family's wealth. More billions than the Coors beer family, Nordstrom family, Perdue chickenpeople, Tyson chickenpeople, the Hewlitt-Packard Hewlitts, the Amoco family, the family who owns Dow Jones & Co.

Would you romance An Apolitical Billionare version of Rebecca Watson, for rags-to-riches reasons?

I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there. To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Aire.
I'll be the odd dissenting voice here (emphasis on odd, of course) … the more $$$ and the further back the wealth goes, the more vehement the "NOOOOO!!!" You run the risk of being a plaything, an amusement, a curiosity - without ever realizing the depth of her disdain. Ask me how I know, by PM if you like. :bjarte:
I can't see you disdaining your playthings, BarnOwl.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

NoGodsEver wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
I agree, it was pretty cheesy.
Udderly.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

JackSkeptic wrote:
I guess it curd have been whey worse though.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

KiwiInOz wrote: I can't see you disdaining your playthings, BarnOwl.
:mrgreen: Closest I've been to inheriting the wealth of Beerpeople and Chickenpeople is to have a grandpa who grew barley for Coors.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ape+lust wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Tonight.

http://imgur.com/GzpX1Rl.jpg

Unfortunately, the venue has a no-cameras policy. Hopefully, official video will be provided, because I want my fix of queen bee FLOPSWEAT, dammit!
I await her tweets about how stupid and uncool the audience was; how her jokes would've killed a more sophisticated and hipper crowd.
Hey-O!!

I just flew in from the Mission district and boy, are my arms flabby.

A man came up to me and said, "I haven't had a bite all week." So I blocked 200 people on Twitter and took another shot at Dawkins. Then I bit him.

Take my wife... Peez.

How about that Dawkins guy, huh, what a loser..... No? *tap-tap-tap* Is this on? You guys are worse than rape threats. Good night.
For a preview of Watson's routine, check out the woman who has her open mike turn after the painfully unfunny guy. I have a feeling that no one will be the winner tonight.

[youtube]1l1awGRnSHw[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

NoGodsEver wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
I guess it curd have been whey worse though.
It cud have. I've certainly herd worse.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

JackSkeptic wrote:
You saw this but it went 'past yer eyes' so fast I think you missed the obvious joke.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

jimthepleb wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
You saw this but it went 'past yer eyes' so fast I think you missed the obvious joke.
Q. What do you call a one-legged dairy farmer?

A. Lactose.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

BarnOwl wrote:

Can I summarise with; Don't stick your dick in the inbred dilettante crazy? Been there. Done that. Bear the scars of the paterfamilii's 'persuasions'.
Aristos of money or breeding are a dangerous pedigree and a law unto themselves. And besides..'marginally better looking than Rebecca Watson' ... for fuck's sake man...have some pride!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Congrats, jimthepleb.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

As Penelope Pitstop would say, "Hay-alp!"

Over the last week or so, my PC (about five years old, running Windows Vista 64 bit) has decided that every time I watch a streaming video for more than about 14 minutes, it's going to cut the power. and I have to reboot through safe mode. Anybody any idea what might be causing that, and what I might be able to do about it?

(Congrats jimthepleb, I'm sure you'll be outstanding in your field.)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

[youtube]X6uZd1jP_ZM[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

paddybrown wrote:As Penelope Pitstop would say, "Hay-alp!"

Over the last week or so, my PC (about five years old, running Windows Vista 64 bit) has decided that every time I watch a streaming video for more than about 14 minutes, it's going to cut the power. and I have to reboot through safe mode. Anybody any idea what might be causing that, and what I might be able to do about it?

Might be overheating. Check out the power supply, and vacuum the fuck out of it.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Highlighted your problem there.
And thankyou.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Congrats Jim!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Thanks all for your kind words. Thank god for the 'pit consistently reminding me that however mad, shitty and desperate I may feel, I am still not Richard Carrier or Melody Hensley.
Life is good.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Thank god for the 'pit consistently reminding me that however mad, shitty and desperate I may feel, I am still not Richard Carrier or Melody Hensley.
:pray:

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

BarnOwl wrote:

Well, yeah. From my experience, women who flirt with you to get you to do things for them often don't tend to actually follow through on the flirtation. Once you have, for an entirely hypothetical example not drawn from my own life (cough), picked her up from the airport at some ungodly hour, she's suddenly very tired, maybe see you later, oh sorry I've been really busy that's why I haven't returned your calls, but now I need a big strong manly man to help me move some heavy stuff, bats eyelashes, giggles and presses her tit against your arm as she's showing you what needs moved. Be careful.

But I'm not bitter.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dude selling cleaning product door-to-door, after demonstrating its amazing cleaning power on my front porch and door: And the best thing is, it's biodegradable and non-toxic! (removes spray top and licks straw)
BarnOwl: Don't do that!!
Dude: It's completely natural and non-toxic!
BarnOwl: So are horse urine and dog vomit, but I wouldn't stick a straw in either one and lick it off.
Dude: :?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Lsuoma wrote:

Might be overheating. Check out the power supply, and vacuum the fuck out of it.
Cheers, I'll look into that.

And thanks also to jim for your very practical and helpful point.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

paddybrown wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Cheers, I'll look into that.

And thanks also to jim for your very practical and helpful point.
NecV20 got nuttin on me!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Holy fuck it's been rainy and stormy here. I'm starting to feel cabin fever already and spring is more than 3 months away. :(
[youtube]D9IHf6Xvzo0[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Holy fuck it's been rainy and stormy here. I'm starting to feel cabin fever already and spring is more than 3 months away. :(
[youtube]D9IHf6Xvzo0[/youtube]
I swam laps in the outdoor pool at the nearby swimming/diving center this morning. I usually swim in the indoor pool, but one of the lifeguards asked me to move to make room for the masters swim practice, and suggested that I try the outdoor pool (which has all the diving boards, but can be used as a 25m lap pool). The water is heated, and it was actually very nice - air temperature was around 60F with a strong breeze, but that only matters for the brief time when you get out of the pool and grab your towel. The outdoor pool is available year round for open swim, unless it's storming or below 40F - I think it will be my preference for cool weather swimming from now on.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Safe Mode is generally triggered because you crashed. When your computer reboots it wants to have the bare minimum stuff it needs to run so you can figure out what is causing the problem.

To me it sounds like you're over heating. Clean the computer. Compressed air, vacuuming, that sort of thing. Also, power supplies do wear out. They usually just get weaker until they can't really do the job and start having weird problems like over-heating and causing re-boots, etc. Other times they can catch on fire like one of mine did once!

You could also have a device driver or similar issue. Which may necessitate a software/driver repair.

If you have to replace the power supply, get one that's BIGGER (wattage) and is highly rated (which means more costly) but will fit your case (because they can come in different sizes, especially those made for big computer mfg).

Philosophically, I am a bigger-the-power-supply-the-better. My PSU is rated for 1200 WATTS and cost about $300 (it's a Corsair) because it was top-brand. It's over 5-years old and I've never had an issue with it. It's probably no longer capable of 1200 Watts, but it doesn't matter because I'm only drawing about 450-500 watts at max consumption. (about 100 full-on with the CPU & cooling, just over 250 for the video, and about 100-to-150 for the USB devices depending.)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

My system was doing this exact behaviour a couple of years ago. In my case it was, as has been proposed, due to too much dust and overheating.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

paddybrown wrote:
Well, yeah. From my experience, women who flirt with you to get you to do things for them often don't tend to actually follow through on the flirtation. Once you have, for an entirely hypothetical example not drawn from my own life (cough), picked her up from the airport at some ungodly hour, she's suddenly very tired, maybe see you later, oh sorry I've been really busy that's why I haven't returned your calls, but now I need a big strong manly man to help me move some heavy stuff, bats eyelashes, giggles and presses her tit against your arm as she's showing you what needs moved. Be careful.

But I'm not bitter.
I figured that out in HS. Which lead me to say 'no' on more than one occassion as a young man. Which really pissed off some of the young ladies who were playing that game.

The funniest (at least to me) was I'd bought a pizza when I was some E-3 in the military. Had it delivered. People wanted to have some, I said chip-in a 'buck a slice, you choose the slice,' as E-3s are not made out of money... A couple of other guys of did...

However, there was a young lady who tried the whole flirty-helpless thing. I'm like 'chip in.' She was all like 'I have no money' and did all the flirty-touchy things to get me to give in. I was like 'chip in' because I knew that game and once she got her pizza it was blue-balls for me because no woman with even half-an-ounce of self-respect is going to fuck you for a piece of pizza.

Man, did she get pissed when it didn't work. I still smile about it.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

How much memory does your computer have? Also turn off hardware acceleration in Flash (or in Chrome)

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Good on you, Jim.

Concerning Melody's glasses and her photoblog aspirations, I'm even more annoyed by her having learnt about Dickey Chapelle, a war photographer with a career spanning the Pacific in 1945, through Korea, Algeria, Cuba up until the day her luck ran out in Vietnam in 1965. She could rock those glasses!
imrs.jpg
(426.13 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
There's an inspiring documentary about her on YouTube:

[youtube]axPz5xIBwnc[/youtube]

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Michael J wrote:

How much memory does your computer have? Also turn off hardware acceleration in Flash (or in Chrome)
If the computer tries to restart after the shutdown then it is not generally an overheating problem. Also with overheating you find that it takes longer before it lets you start and the time to shutdown gets faster with the residual heat in the CPU.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

dogen wrote:
feathers wrote:
comhcinc wrote:# reboot -f
some geek is going to get that.

Code: Select all

# /sbin/init 6
Oldskool.

sync
...followed by the three-finger salute.
systemctl shutdown

For you new kids

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Or Ctrl > Alt > Delete, for the other new kids.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

On/Off switch for the rest of us.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sulman wrote:
dogen wrote:
feathers wrote: Oldskool.

sync
...followed by the three-finger salute.
systemctl shutdown

For you new kids

$ @SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Though I think the point is that "we" don't really want or need organised ideological rallies. Most in the anti-SJW clan actually want as little to do as possible with the whole circus.

Alas it falls to the Pit to provide oversight over, and poker prods to, the dwindling band of Skeptic/Atheist clowns.

If there's a Slymecon, I want to be in charge of the ball pit!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ relives his glory days as a scientific trailblazer who has had to wait 25 years for modern science to catch up.

http://i.imgur.com/7TNMXyz.jpg

Then he wakes up only to find he has fully transitioned.

http://i.giphy.com/suhzmI6Iqiije.gif

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just in time for Xmas.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

A pretty big admission that hardly anybody turns up for their conferences. Also if they are attracting so few trolls doesn't that just mean that FTB is seen as unimportant