Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by deLurch »

Here is the reporter who opened the barricade.. His twitter profile.
US politics, news for The Sunday Times of London. Author of Dead Men Risen, Orwell Prize winner. Ideas, tips, thoughts: toby.harnden@sunday-times.co.uk

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

He may be an arrogant ass, but he's got a sense of humor. The whole of his recent twitter timeline is pretty good.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Spike13 wrote:Couldn't help noticing that all that media in the apt. resembled a congress of vultures.

Birds of a feather and all that.
A murder of crows. (true)

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Couldn't help noticing that all that media in the apt. resembled a congress of vultures.

Birds of a feather and all that.
A murder of crows. (true)
Which means that a crow by itself is an attempted murder.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
another lurker wrote:We Should All Be Feminists
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/d ... -feminists

Every 16yo to receive a copy in Sweden.
little_red_book.jpg
Betting 95% throw them out without even looking at them.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Anti-vax mom changes her tune as all 7 of her children come down with whooping cough
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... ing-cough/
Former Anti-vaxxer wrote:"People like me who were hesitant, who were confused, who froze, we can be reached if people use the right approach," she told the Post.
She failed to tell us what the correct approach is. The Washington Post reporter also failed to inquire as to what the correct approach is too.

Here is her blog post on the subject.
http://thescientificparent.org/learning ... /#more-576

Digesting that would suggest fear based news stories about disease outbreaks, especially when it affects her immediate community is the only way to break through the idiocy. Facts don't matter. She said herself that her biases over ruled every other sense.

At the bottom of her blog post, she notes that people should not make decisions based on fear but facts. But it is clear that fear was the absolute only thing that got her to change her mind.

And even though she had planned catch up vaccinations, she did not take action until her family actually came down with a very shitty course of the disease.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:He may be an arrogant ass, but he's got a sense of humor. The whole of his recent twitter timeline is pretty good.
No offense, but that wasn't even remotely funny. I've had hemorrhoids with a better sens of humour.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
another lurker wrote:We Should All Be Feminists
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/d ... -feminists
Every 16yo to receive a copy in Sweden.
little_red_book.jpg
Betting 95% throw them out without even looking at them.
I used the pocket copies of the Gideon's bible to practice juggling. They hit the trash soon after.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:[/tweet]

No offense, but that wasn't even remotely funny. I've had hemorrhoids with a better sens of humour.
Perhaps this explains Jerry Lewis. :think:
http://fikklefame.com/wp-content/upload ... -nutty.jpg

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BTW- when I was a rebellious pre-teen exploring communism, I acquired a translation of Mao's little red book expecting some great wisdom-because why else would millions carry it with them?-and was immediately taken aback by the empty sloganeering.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Guest_0048cc29 wrote:He may be an arrogant ass, but he's got a sense of humor. The whole of his recent twitter timeline is pretty good.
[youtube]5e60DMzjt3Q[/youtube]

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

What is the objection to the press entering the scumbag's apartment?
I feel like I'm missing something here.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

another lurker wrote:Welp, now I know why I don't engage SJWs.

I just learned that it is illegal to take someone's photo in a public space, as it is an invasion of their privacy.

And that people who are say, blocking an entire park, or city block, or whatever, have the right to stand where they wish but you do *not* have a right to move freely if that involves infringing on their space.

This is absurd.

I can't fucking believe that actual people are really bringing WeArePlethora's satire into the real world. You know, considering the stupidity that I am reading right now, no, I fully suspect that the fuckwits at FTB do take WAP at face value.
I do. The stupidity reinforces itself. The nice thing is, as a general rule in these situations the movement gets dumber and dumber. This causes it to shrink and become less able to replenish itself. Which, eventually, leaves to fade away. It can take time. But it happens.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

jimthepleb wrote:What is the objection to the press entering the scumbag's apartment?
Publicizing the private information of people who lived in the same household.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Ah ok fair enough.
I missed that.
I'm a bit dim.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sunder wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:What is the objection to the press entering the scumbag's apartment?
Publicizing the private information of people who lived in the same household.
I will go with: tempering with evidence.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

It is highly unusual for a crime scene investigation to be completed so quickly. The bulk of the public, including some media who were not present have huge doubts that the media were given permission to enter the property by law enforcement.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

My experiences with the British tabloid press is that they act as if they are above and beyond the reach of law. (They are usually right if a case goes to court) Why don't the US law enforcement have the house locked down and EVERYTHING of evidential value removed already?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Well it is heartening to see that the commenters on TFA support Maryam Namazie and not the ISOC.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

jimthepleb wrote:My experiences with the British tabloid press is that they act as if they are above and beyond the reach of law. (They are usually right if a case goes to court) Why don't the US law enforcement have the house locked down and EVERYTHING of evidential value removed already?
If they hadn't finished their investigation you would think they would have someone there to stop people from breaking in and have evidence tape all over the place.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

SM12 said:

LOL. My first laugh out loud today. Bravo!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

another lurker wrote:Well it is heartening to see that the commenters on TFA support Maryam Namazie and not the ISOC.
Even herpaderps like ahermit are just deep down in the comments providing lip service support, knowing it's better not to say too much.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Video of reporters going in. You can hear a reporter state that there is the one reporter who had paid $1,000 to be the first ones in.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lPJqaVpQjLJb

The throng of reporters are already inside the doorway, and are waiting for a little bit to figure out if they are "allowed in." And then everyone moves forward and just assumes they have permission to go inside.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Someone just pointed out that white people who stand against Namazie and in solidarity with Islamists are total douchebags (I paraphrase)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:SM12 said:

LOL. My first laugh out loud today. Bravo!
http://i.imgur.com/g4bcBg0.png

Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:My experiences with the British tabloid press is that they act as if they are above and beyond the reach of law. (They are usually right if a case goes to court) Why don't the US law enforcement have the house locked down and EVERYTHING of evidential value removed already?
If they hadn't finished their investigation you would think they would have someone there to stop people from breaking in and have evidence tape all over the place.
Yeah, this whole business makes no fucking sense (I mean, were the media's legal departments on vacation today?), and the conspiracy theorists are having a field day with it. Can't say I blame them; Hanlon's Razor says “never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity”, and this takes an awful lot of stupidity on the part of everyone involved.

free thoughtpolice

A portion of the interview with the lawyers of the Farooq family (SB shootings).
I can't find the whole thing but it was annoying drivel with things like all muslims think this was wrong, and other unconvincing crap. I don't think they helped the cause of the family or the muslim community.
[youtube]51h_o8y4GpA[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

@service dog

An article on Art Basel Miami
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... -art-world

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:A portion of the interview with the lawyers of the Farooq family (SB shootings).
I can't find the whole thing but it was annoying drivel with things like all muslims think this was wrong, and other unconvincing crap. I don't think they helped the cause of the family or the muslim community.
The lawyer is either completely ignorant, or completely bullshitting. The lawyer's story does not add up.
Hell, the shooter noted in his dating profile he enjoyed shooting in his backyard. How long did he spend in the Middle East? 8-9 weeks? No time for training then? Are we to say that his wife could not have possibly had training? And at "90" pounds she could not possibly carry a gun? or wear a vest? I thought that was one of the benefits of a gun, in that it is a force equalizer. Suddenly being the strongest person in the room doesn't count for Jack.

Law enforcement, not understanding and asking questions about affiliations trying to see if there were any connections? That sounds like a good investigation to me. If you walk in already "knowing" all of the answers, it makes it more difficult to find out the truth.

-Soylent f98

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

:handgestures-thumbup:

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:A portion of the interview with the lawyers of the Farooq family (SB shootings).
The lawyer is either completely ignorant, or completely bullshitting. The lawyer's story does not add up.
Hell, the shooter noted in his dating profile he enjoyed shooting in his backyard. How long did he spend in the Middle East? 8-9 weeks? No time for training then? Are we to say that his wife could not have possibly had training? And at "90" pounds she could not possibly carry a gun? or wear a vest? I thought that was one of the benefits of a gun, in that it is a force equalizer. Suddenly being the strongest person in the room doesn't count for Jack.

Law enforcement, not understanding and asking questions about affiliations trying to see if there were any connections? That sounds like a good investigation to me. If you walk in already "knowing" all of the answers, it makes it more difficult to find out the truth.

-Soylent f98
Army experience here.... 90 pounds is likely JUST under entry weight. She most certainly could lift and fire our 8 pound rifle m16, or the smaller m4, and she would only have trouble if untrained, or if her beard got in the way

Parody Accountant

I wonder if Alex Gabriel could lift enough to do terrorism.

Parody Accountant

Have the Mormons been converting dead islam martyrs like they did with other famous non Mormons, such as Ann frank?

free thoughtpolice

PA wrote:
Army experience here.... 90 pounds is likely JUST under entry weight. She most certainly could lift and fire our 8 pound rifle m16, or the smaller m4, and she would only have trouble if untrained, or if her beard got in the way
Plus handguns, hiding stuff (like bombs) in a sacred walking tent, acting as a comm. link, aiding in reloading and general covering your rear using an apparent non-combatant costume?
No way they would use chicks they respect them too much. :P

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

another lurker wrote:
Aeryl Dean • 15 minutes ago

'''' I think microaggressions are overblown.'''

Easy to say when you aren't the one being targeted.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivis ... 2393319395

The great thing about microaggressions, of course, is that it is so vague that you could find yourself in a position where you are always oppressing someone. And intent isn't magic!

And I still want to know how cooking your own fusion food, or enjoying exotic meals, is 'problematic'. What harm is done, exactly? Like, demonstrable fucking harm. Segregation = obvious harm. But patting yourself on the back for trying chicken feet? *

* I tried chicken feet once. Never again. Gross. The bones especially.**
** Am I oppressing the Chinese by finding some of their food gross????

P.S. a friend of mine brought up a great point. How do you think the Japanese would feel, or the Chinese, that they are being oppressed by the 'dominant culture'? Go up to a Japanese person and tell him/her that they are oppressed by white privilege, see how that turns out?
My ex-wife loved chicken feet. If they were out then she and her cousins used to order duck's feet.

Once, I noticed a waiter hang around to see if the bunch of gweilos were really going to eat them.

Personally I never had them myself but to each their own. Unlike myself who could eat them every day, she refused to eat snails.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hahah

"The trigger warning should be on the college application"

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

businessinsider.com/yale-professor-erika-christakis-will-not-teach-next-year-due-to-racial-controversy-2015-12

Yale lecturer whose email ignited a debate about racism has decided not to teach there in the future

Erika Christakis, the faculty member at the center of a racially charged debate at Yale, has decided not to teach at the Ivy League school going forward.

"I will not be teaching at Yale in the future," she told Business Insider in an email Thursday.

Christakis' decision came after weeks of backlash against the lecturer and administrator over an email she sent to students suggesting that Yale shouldn't tell them not to wear offensive Halloween costumes.

That backlash included an open letter criticizing her signed by hundreds of members of the Yale community.

Recently, 49 faculty members wrote their own open letter defending Christakis against allegations of racism.

Douglas Stone, a colleague who wrote the open letter, told Business Insider that "aggressive tactics" used against Christakis spurred her to decide to stop teaching.

"Last year over 300 students expressed interest in her courses, she is an acclaimed teacher, and she was planning extra sections this year to accommodate more students," Stone wrote Business Insider in an email message. "The unfair and ad hominem attacks she has endured have measurably reduced student academic choice at Yale. There is a cost to allowing this behavior to go unchallenged."

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Parody Accountant wrote:Have the Mormons been converting dead islam martyrs like they did with other famous non Mormons, such as Ann frank?
Prolly, coz for each one they also get 72 sister wives.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Parody Accountant wrote:I wonder if Alex Gabriel could lift enough to do terrorism.
Comrade Alexei couldn't lift enough to raise a loaf of bread.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Parody Accountant wrote: Army experience here.... 90 pounds is likely JUST under entry weight. She most certainly could lift and fire our 8 pound rifle m16, or the smaller m4, and she would only have trouble if untrained, or if her beard got in the way
Well she shouldn't be shooting from the hip anyway.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

another lurker wrote:@service dog

An article on Art Basel Miami
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... -art-world
Thanks!

The first photo under the headline, is Tony Matelli's sculpture "Sleepwalker", which caused an uproar when it was installed at Wellesley College. It was removed because SJWs said it might 'trigger' victims of sexual assault. I think that sculpture goes-against the Guardian's thesis that Art Basel Miami Beach is a bunch of decadent rich folks, detached from 99% of society... it's directly relevant to today's politics & culture. In Miami, it's part of a show jointly currated by rival dealers Deitch and Gagosian-- two of the biggest big big big money names in the business. (And, for years, my employers.)
http://i.imgur.com/Kr56ShN.jpg

Since-when is "the art world" NOT the domain of the wealthy & powerful? Oil paintings & ballets for royalty, museums endowed by 19th Century american socialite billionaire families. Arguably, Art is one of the few points of access between the super-rich & everyone-else. I'd be more concerned if the super-rich =didn't= show themselves in public. As it stands, I'm pretty-much Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver... but art gave me intimate access to hostile-takeover king Henry Kravis, Stephen A. Cohen (35th richest man in the US), the Rockefeller family, Moroccan royal family. When the Occupy protesters were in Zucotti Park, I was a block away in Deutche Bank's Wall Street headquarters, in rumpled, ripped hobo clothes; carrying an open boxcutter, hanging their art trophies in hallways.

The article juxtaposes the police killing of Eric Garner & the Black Lives Matter protests... against last-year's lavish Art Basel Miami... but it doesn't mention that protesters successfully shutdown access between Miami Beach & Miami proper... successfully screwing-up the richfolks' ability to party in ignorant bliss.

Also the article doesn't mention Miami police killing REEFA (Israel Hernandez, 18) last year, with a Taser, for tagging; and an undercover cop running over & killing DEMZ (Delbert Rodriguez, 21) for tagging... during last year's Basel Miami. But the international gathering of street artists around the Wynwood Walls stronghold-- was very aware, thanks to Basel bringing us together.

This is the spot where REEFA died:
http://www.presente.org/media/uploads/c ... ez_Art.jpg

To me, Basel Miami is a Wild West of opportunity. During the police vs. protester clashes of Occupy, in 2011, my friend Joe Heaps Nelson took a Greyhound to Miami, slept on the beach, sold copies of his "Police Brutality Coloring Book" out of his messenger bag, & became one of the top names on that years "must see" lists for Basel.
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/under ... scan-1.jpg

Many young artists-- a couple years out of college-- are struggling in nyc, not knowing how to connect to the money-part of the art world. They think there's some velvet-rope keeping them out of Basel Miami. I tell them all to go down & jump-right-in. It's wide-open. Like if you were allowed to freely roam inside Saudi palaces, resorts & boardrooms... until you learned your way around. They don't believe me. They think I'm different than them.

When I first came to nyc, the 1980's nightclub scene was still booming. Richgirl clubkids, fags, and drag queens taught me how to get inside 'exclusive' clubs. You never just walk to the end of the line & wait, with a defeated look. You'd beeline to the velvet rope like you're gonna crash into it without breaking stride. If they don't unhook it & let you right thru-- like you're Important-- then you (without acting angry, tantrum-y, mediocre) interact with the person holding the guestlist clipboard-- in such a way that sez you're adding-to the power & fabulousness they're trying to create. Maybe that's what made me able to go places I don't belong.

The first time I went to Miami was 2001, the year-before Art Basel Miami Beach began. That's like saying the first time you went to Las Vegas was when it was desert, the year before the casinos. (And maybe you'd forever be less-intimidated by what Vegas became, if you'd seen the desert first.) Back then, Miami had a trashy expensive glamour-- but was NOT a sophisticated art destination. I was down there with one of the ny clubkid fags who taught me to jedi-mind-trick my way past velvet ropes. In Miami, we faxed a 'guestlist' to a nightclub; with something like "Vogue Magazine Guest List" at the top, and a list of names... Kate Moss, Chelsea Clinton, and our own names. Then we showed up & said 'we're on the list'. I met an art student back-then, named Naomi Fisher. She was still in grad school, worked for the Rubell Collection (art owned by dead Studio 54 owner Steve Rubell). Ten years later, she & her boyfriend were Miami's premiere "it couple" of successful young artists.

Two hours ago, 2 women argued outside the Art Basel booth showing Naomi Fisher's art. One woman STABBED another!
All I could think was-- those sales booths cost $50,000 to $100,000 for 4 days. Imagine having police tape blocking your booth!
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 69515.html

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

[youtube]T3wcxHiorJ4[/youtube]

Transphobic as fuck. Triggered.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Guest_84d94f98 wrote:

-Soylent f98
You're absolutely right and you unintentionally hit upon another thing I'm thinking about. I am fine with women serving in any combat position in the military...if they fulfill the same standards as the men. How could I tell a woman who could kick my ass as thoroughly as most other Marines or Army Rangers that she doesn't belong solely because of her gender?

However, I don't think the standards should be diluted. A lot of the discussion I've seen has centered around, "A woman can carry a gun, too, sexist asshole!" But I am pretty sure that being a Navy SEAL is about much more than carrying and firing a gun. You have to be able to carry the SEAL next to you if something bad happens. To carry and fire your gun while hauling a ton of demolitions and equipment.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

“The women would sit with the women, men with the men. Men did not interact with her,” Abuershaid said. “Brothers have never seen her face. She was totally covered. They just knew her as ‘Syed’s wife.' "

Malik was a “typical housewife” taking care of the couple’s 6-month old daughter while Farook worked, Chesley said. She spoke broken English and fluent Urdu, he said.

“She did maintain certain traditions. Fasting and prayer. She chose not to drive voluntarily. But these are all benign;, these are things that many Muslims do and it doesn’t mean anything necessarily,” Chesley said.
Covers her face completely, sits only with female relatives, doesn't drive, enjoys building pipe bombs and murdering her husband's co-workers … yep, "typical housewife." In fucking Saudi Barbaria, perhaps.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Naomi Fisher's art is pit-worthy:
http://i.imgur.com/b1W3M2q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zng4MzS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U5x5G9G.jpg

How elitist can Basel Miami really be, if doing-that earns you this:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... uple/?_r=0

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I want to be an artist now.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bend over.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Thank you, Rayshul.

Instead of all these projects where they show "normal" women's vaginas, let's have one where the only one on show is perfect. Call it "Vagina Perfectis" and you'll have NYC arty folk throwing money at you.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Service Dog wrote:Bend over.
It sounds like she would be perfect.

-Soylent f98

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

I thought I'd take a peek at Smelody's excuse for bilking $2000 aka her insipid Fashion on the Streets of DC project.

Check out this hipster fag from Nov 4....

http://streetfashiondc.com/

http://i.imgur.com/jP54ebs.jpg :nin:

Smelody's attached comment....

http://i.imgur.com/7wWlHgY.jpg

:cdc:

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Dunno why there's a ninja in the previous post.... :?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

[youtube]cdzEfAmfjrA[/youtube]

Pit kill!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Authorities said the victim confronted Siyuan Zhao about purposely following her around the art show and bumping into her several times. Zhao then stabbed the victim in the right side of the neck and left shoulder without warning or provocation, causing several cuts.

While Zhao was being patted down by an officer, she said, "I had to kill her and two more" and "I had to watch her bleed," according to the officer.

Police said Zhao admitted to stabbing the victim in the neck in order to clean the victim."
http://www.local10.com/news/woman-stabb ... l/36804224

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Speaking of bleeding I'm like me sure the whole 'pit subscribes to....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5jJ_1 ... JF_WU4sQ5w

http://i.imgur.com/4yn3N1u.jpg

There's all kinds of fun stuff there, not least of which is....

http://i.imgur.com/rBF9r4Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UCBS2xL.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

another lurker wrote:Well it is heartening to see that the commenters on TFA support Maryam Namazie and not the ISOC.
QFT. And heartening to see TFA support her, too.

Watching the video of Ms Namazie's talk, I'm struck by this (among other things): the men who were disrupting the event from the front row were making women feel unwelcome at an atheist/skeptic event. They provided what appears to be by far the best example of this behavior.

Wasn't making A/S less (supposedly-)unwelcoming to women supposed to have been the clarion call that launched the schism in 2011? :think:

Not only were these men trying to intimidate & silence the speaker Ms Namazie, but they affected the experience for other women. Examples include a woman seated a few rows back says how ashamed she is at their behavior and tries to apologize for them to Ms Namazie, and a woman in the farthest back row who raises her hand and tries to say something but doesn't get a chance.

Surely once the liberals currently siding with the ISOC group realize this, they will....oh, never mind.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Funny thing Thunderf00t noticed, googling the dictionary definition of feminism...
http://i.imgur.com/1WGmkA4.png

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

[youtube]zEnWw_lH4tQ[/youtube]

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

You're all very jealous of my perfect vagina.

I just discovered you can design Fluevogs. "Open source" design. So, y'know, maybe the pit could create a Fluevog.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I recall, before this NZ case came up, that Ms Billingsley went on TV blaming "rape culture" for a diplomat sexually assaulting her.

Now here's the thing, he allegedly pooped on her doorstep.

I don't know where that comes into rape culture. This hasn't come up before.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11555881

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Poop-on-doorstep culture is a serious societal problem!