Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Guest_0048cc29

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

All of these would make for absolutely remarkable /r/showerthoughts or maybe something for /r/trees if that's Billie's preference.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

philogloss wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Why is Thunderf00t retweeting a tweet doxing Bewildered Ape? Has he gone full Col Bill Kilgore?
Oh look, whining on the slymepit. Totally didn't see this coming.

What Bewildered Ape did was fucking horrendous and inexcusable, and he concealed his identity so poorly that it was publicly available. Fuck him.
Actually re-tweeting just seemed a remarkably passive aggressive act. If TF wants peace through superior firepower the least he could do is properly setup his machine guns in enfilade.

This way he appears to mix equal measure reactive spite and hesitancy. In the same vein if he wanted LW's business attacked he should have forgone the implausible deniability of his original non-call to arms and simply said "go for it".

How a message is framed is 80% of perception.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

Brive1987 wrote:
philogloss wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Why is Thunderf00t retweeting a tweet doxing Bewildered Ape? Has he gone full Col Bill Kilgore?
Oh look, whining on the slymepit. Totally didn't see this coming.

What Bewildered Ape did was fucking horrendous and inexcusable, and he concealed his identity so poorly that it was publicly available. Fuck him.
Actually re-tweeting just seemed a remarkably passive aggressive act. If TF wants peace through superior firepower the least he could do is properly setup his machine guns in enfilade.

This way he appears to mix equal measure reactive spite and hesitancy. In the same vein if he wanted LW's business attacked he should have forgone the implausible deniability of his original non-call to arms and simply said "go for it".

How a message is framed is 80% of perception.
I will admit it's a bit odd seeing him retweet something from a guy with a Baphomet logo. Especially since people are accusing Tf00t of being in cahoots with 8chan or something. And by his own admission, it probably would have been cleaner to just sue LW.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:Place a small rock on a hillside, watch it figure out how to minimize potential energy.
Place a small rock in a water column, watch it solve problems of buoyancy.
Place a small rock at a Lagrange point, watch it solve differential equations in physics.
You're one of those people who thinks that natural selection has a goal and purposefully moves a population in a particular direction, aren't you?

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Guest_0048cc29 wrote:Place a small rock on a hillside, watch it figure out how to minimize potential energy.
Place a small rock at a Lagrange point, watch it solve differential equations in physics.
You're one of those people who thinks that natural selection has a goal and purposefully moves a population in a particular direction, aren't you?
I'd guess not since I asked how chaos affected Carrier's claim and also asked how it was useful to even consider a rock a computing system.

And watching a rock mark "compute" where a Lagrange point is doesn't suggest the rock will know where it will be 1 second from now.

Billie from Ockham

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:I'd guess not since I asked how chaos affected Carrier's claim and also asked how it was useful to even consider a rock a computing system.

And watching a rock mark "compute" where a Lagrange point is doesn't suggest the rock will know where it will be 1 second from now.
I'm terrified to ask, given your use of the word "compute," but I'll go ahead, anyway: what do you think "chaos" is?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
I'd guess not since I asked how chaos affected Carrier's claim and also asked how it was useful to even consider a rock a computing system.

Does your desktop run Windows 10?

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kfsn ... 80x720.jpg

Perhaps you have your laptop on Linux.

http://www.minimegeology.com/shop/image ... tone_w.gif

Billie from Ockham

In guest's defense, it's important that we all agree that hillsides, water columns, and Lagrange points all have the right to get their rocks off.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Not your point, but honestly, if it wasn't for the spying, the ads in the start menu, and the forced updates, it probably would except I truly dislike the muted, flat, dark, colors and images that somehow Microsoft thinks makes for a desktop to be stared at for many hours a day.

But combined with the spying, the ads in the start menu, and the forced updates, the muted colors as seen in your half dome image are too much for the camel.

Aneris

Social Justice Skidoo

Post by Aneris »

Another wiki style formularization of a well-known principle. I call it the SJ Skidoo now, but am open to other ideas.
Social Justice Skidoo wrote:The Social Justice Skidoo is a technique of advancing ideological theories by combining it with a special form of trolling, and by subsequently obscuring the inciting element.

Step One: The social justice advocate first advances their ideology in an inciting, controversial or polarizing manner. This will typically elicit criticism, of which some (or most) will be hateful in nature, see [[Anita's Law]].

Step Two: the moderate and constructive criticism is ignored in favour of the most hateful ones, as a form of [[nutpicking]]. These are then placed in the spotlight.

Step Three: like any trick in stage magic, the spectacle around the hateful comments is used to obscure the inciting event. The general attention on the hateful comments allows that the ideological load is widely spread, and remains unassailable due to the effect that few wants to look like one of those hateful people.
Examples:

[*]Elevatorgate. Everyone and their cat knows about Dear Muslima, and “Guys Don't Do That”, but the incident and talking points that launched the episode (hint: “rape culture” ideology at the CFI event) are commonly obscured and often not reported.
[*]Sarkeesian
[*]Laughing Witch

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tigzy wrote:
'Oooh...'
http://i.imgur.com/rNo2DdK.jpg
'...Poly.'
So that's what a polygraph detector is for... why didn't I notice earlier.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Nah, she's just an asshole.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
Not your point, but honestly, if it wasn't for the spying, the ads in the start menu, and the forced updates, it probably would except I truly dislike the muted, flat, dark, colors and images that somehow Microsoft thinks makes for a desktop to be stared at for many hours a day.

But combined with the spying, the ads in the start menu, and the forced updates, the muted colors as seen in your half dome image are too much for the camel.
There is no spying. It's just telemetry data you fucking mong. The "ads" are just recommended apps which you can turn off.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Bewildered Ape makes a threat against a woman:
https://media.8ch.net/baphomet/src/1446990622103.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tribble wrote:
Seriously, I didn't hate him as much as Tasha Yar. My full list of ST:TNG main/substantial supporting characters I didn't care for:

Tasha Yar
Wesley Crusher
Dr. Pulaski
Deanna Troi
William Riker
Guinan
I agree with Wesley and Troi. Dr Pulaski wasn't there long enough to make me care one way or the other. The rest of "meh"

free thoughtpolice

[youtube]u9RvovANltk[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Bewildered Ape makes a threat against a woman:
https://media.8ch.net/baphomet/src/1446990622103.png
http://i.imgur.com/gVzWLKN.png

People should just ignore this guy. He is just a troll.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

There are no ads. They are just recommended apps.

There are no ads. They are just apps recommended for being the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful apps I've ever known in my life.

Suet Cardigan

Re: Social Justice Skidoo

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Aneris wrote:Another wiki style formularization of a well-known principle. I call it the SJ Skidoo now, but am open to other ideas.
Social Justice Skidoo wrote:The Social Justice Skidoo is a technique of advancing ideological theories by combining it with a special form of trolling, and by subsequently obscuring the inciting element.

Step One: The social justice advocate first advances their ideology in an inciting, controversial or polarizing manner. This will typically elicit criticism, of which some (or most) will be hateful in nature, see [[Anita's Law]].

Step Two: the moderate and constructive criticism is ignored in favour of the most hateful ones, as a form of [[nutpicking]]. These are then placed in the spotlight.

Step Three: like any trick in stage magic, the spectacle around the hateful comments is used to obscure the inciting event. The general attention on the hateful comments allows that the ideological load is widely spread, and remains unassailable due to the effect that few wants to look like one of those hateful people.
Examples:

[*]Elevatorgate. Everyone and their cat knows about Dear Muslima, and “Guys Don't Do That”, but the incident and talking points that launched the episode (hint: “rape culture” ideology at the CFI event) are commonly obscured and often not reported.
[*]Sarkeesian
[*]Laughing Witch
Related:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

philogloss wrote:Yeah, way to put me in my place, internet tough guys.
Way to misgender a Pit Chill Girl.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

philogloss wrote:
dog puke wrote:
philogloss wrote: Yeah, keep upholding the pit's impeccable reputation of doing nothing but bitching.
Hey Mykeru!! Long time no see!
Heh, was waiting for that. Not him, although I have plenty of respect for the guy.
I just ate a load of spanakopita. So I love your username.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Such a shitlord, I know. Hey, does the atheism+ forum even exist anymore? I'm in the misgendering mood today.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

You wouldn't happen to be a reincarnation of Jesper, would you? In any case, golly gee, you must be right. We advertise everything we do IRL and with other nyms on the pit. None of us are involved with Gamergate or anything like that, no siree. I guess you really shamed us, so sad.

I can't tell if you're Jsepering/Flanderizing, drunk or really stupid. Or all three.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

Blah blah blah. Are you guys going to write ridiculous shit for a good few days now? Glad to know you're so fucking easy to troll.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

philogloss wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Such a shitlord, I know. Hey, does the atheism+ forum even exist anymore? I'm in the misgendering mood today.
Buggered if I know. But I'm sure it must be pumping. It was the brave new world, you know.

I might not misgender, but I sure missex.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

Or fuck, you might even start with memes. Holy shit, I don't think I could take it.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

I mean, it's almost as if you think I crave the respect of anyone here. I don't. Fuck off.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:There are no ads. They are just recommended apps.

There are no ads. They are just apps recommended for being the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful apps I've ever known in my life.
That was really funny.

CaptainFluffyBunny

philogloss wrote:I mean, it's almost as if you think I crave the respect of anyone here. I don't. Fuck off.
Poor 'lil fella. You have a good cry now, you'll feel better.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote: <snip>

The questions I have are:

1) how is it useful or insightful to consider a rock a computing system?

<snip>
Oh, that one's easy: it's useful because it allows Dick Carrier to declare victory.

Guestus Aurelius

Has anyone else here never been to 4chan or 8chan or baphomet or pol or whatever? I honestly have only the vaguest idea of what these things are.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

For those interested in music and its history ....

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Has anyone else here never been to 4chan or 8chan or baphomet or pol or whatever? I honestly have only the vaguest idea of what these things are.
My virgin eyes have never seen such sites.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote:For those interested in music and its history ....
Now that's some clever shite. But seriously Steers - what is it with you and these spinning dancer illusion thingys?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Why did Steers post a picture of The Bee Gees. I don't get it.

Guestus Aurelius

Oh, so four white males = "music and its history"? Fuck you, Steersman.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Has anyone else here never been to 4chan or 8chan or baphomet or pol or whatever? I honestly have only the vaguest idea of what these things are.
I peeked in once. It wasn't for me.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Get a rock then take that rock away. That's binary.

All you need is a few dozen rocks and you've got enough artificial intelligence to calculate the probability of a historical Jesus..

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Oh, so four white males = "music and its history"? Fuck you, Steersman.
:lol: Sheesh - try to contribute and that's the thanks you get. :snooty: ;)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

katamari Damassi wrote:
I peeked in once. It wasn't for me.
I also looked at 4chan a couple of times. I guess you need some experience to navigate your way and get the "most" out of it, but...nah, not enough of an attraction for me to bother putting the effort in. I don't want to see child pron, and if I want to see gore I'll go to liveleak.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote:For those interested in music and its history ....
[.tweet][/tweet]
Now that's some clever shite. But seriously Steers - what is it with you and these spinning dancer illusion thingys?
Indeed – I see that the video got some 1900 retweets and likes; must have tickled the funny bones of a lot of people.

Though, what do you mean by “these spinning dancer illusion thingys”? :-)

That video wasn’t really related to the spinning dancer, but, never passing up a soapbox, I think it is “paradigmatic” (never use a nickel word when a dollar one is close at hand). I think Shermer put it best in his The Believing Brain:
As we saw in the previous chapter, politics is filled with self-justifying rationalizations. Democrats see the world through liberal-tinted glasses, while Republicans filter it through conservative shaded glasses. When you listen to both “conservative talk radio” and “progressive talk radio” you will hear current events interpreted in ways that are 180 degrees out of phase. So incongruent are the interpretations of even the simplest goings-on in the daily news that you wonder if they can possibly be talking about the same event. …. [pg #263]
Sure seems to me that “we” have a tendency to polarization that is, arguably, based on largely diametrically opposite frames of reference. In some cases – as with the spinning dancer – neither interpretation is “true”: dancer isn’t really spinning in either direction, just the sequence of frames can be interpreted either way. But in other cases, as in the wagon-wheel effect (although that is more due to the camera), one interpretation is “true” while the other is “false”.

How our brains process the information presented to it can very frequently lead to conclusions that have no correspondence to reality. Kind of helps, I think, to try to understand those processes, and to realize that very frequently the way things look ain’t the way they are.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

philogloss wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
The forum still exists, but the layers of cobwebs are getting thicker and thicker:
  • Over the past year, average of 19 posts/day.
  • Over the past 2 months, average of 3 posts/day.
  • Over the past 2 weeks, average of just under 2 posts/day.

In related news:
http://i.imgur.com/Bj5x510.png?1

Compared with 8-10 days earlier:
http://i.imgur.com/2S32Q8O.png?1

I was expecting it to level out by now, but am not sad that it hasn't.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

How can you model the universe using binary code when 1s and 0s aren't discrete numbers but actually fluid points on a spectrum?

free thoughtpolice

baphomet is one of the channels on 8chan. 8chan is so evil that you can not find it on google.
If you want to check it out and don't mind going on a list that I'm sure the FBI/Interpol keeps of people that view the site:
https://8ch.net/baphomet/

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Yes. As other have said, not my thing.

Not as full of edgelords as people believe.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Oh, so four white males = "music and its history"? Fuck you, Steersman.
Wait, wait, wait.

I get how you know they're white. But how do you know they're male? Did you ask?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Cnutella wrote:Why did Steers post a picture of The Bee Gees. I don't get it.
That ain't no Mudd Club, or The Bee Gees... :hand:

I ain't got time for that now.

philogloss

Post by philogloss »

Skep tickle wrote: The forum still exists, but the layers of cobwebs are getting thicker and thicker:
  • Over the past year, average of 19 posts/day.
  • Over the past 2 months, average of 3 posts/day.
  • Over the past 2 weeks, average of just under 2 posts/day.

In related news:
http://i.imgur.com/Bj5x510.png?1

Compared with 8-10 days earlier:
http://i.imgur.com/2S32Q8O.png?1

I was expecting it to level out by now, but am not sad that it hasn't.
Thanks for the info. I also seem to remember Tf00t made a point of the FTB traffic halving since 2013. It's almost as if people don't want ideological toxicity in their lives.

Billie from Ockham

I'm in the same boat as you. But I am almost proud of it.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:Get a rock then take that rock away. That's binary.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.

Those who know binary and those who don't.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

A few pages back someone mentioned the series Space: Above and Beyond. It seems that even in 1985 the slymepit was known and regarded with disgust:

[youtube]e6YX0JBGLZ8[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

screwtape wrote:A few pages back someone mentioned the series Space: Above and Beyond. It seems that even in 1985 the slymepit was known and regarded with disgust:

[youtube]e6YX0JBGLZ8[/youtube]
Classic!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Though, what do you mean by “these spinning dancer illusion thingys”? :-)

That video wasn’t really related to the spinning dancer, but, never passing up a soapbox [snipped for the usual Steersman blah about fucking Shermer and his fuckin believing brain]
You've not seen it yet? :lol: :lol:

Look closer Steers.

Billie from Ockham

Skep tickle wrote:
Wait, wait, wait.

I get how you know they're white. But how do you know they're male? Did you ask?
Not only that, but one of them is reputed to be walrus-kin (although there appears to be some argument as to which), so the entire group is protected.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:
Wait, wait, wait.

Not only that, but one of them is reputed to be walrus-kin (although there appears to be some argument as to which), so the entire group is protected.

Also one was reported to be dead. That's zombie kin right there.

Parody Accountant

Ape+lust wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:http://www.advocate.com/sites/advocate. ... x750_0.jpg

Is Kim Davis trans?
http://imgur.com/Y3bDzd8.jpg
BWAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAAH

It's too bad this is too much of an inside joke to send it to people.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:
BWAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAAH

It's too bad this is too much of an inside joke to send it to people.

My favorite thing to do is send inside jokes to people with no comment.

Parody Accountant

Shatterface wrote:Get a rock then take that rock away. That's binary.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.

Those who know binary and those who don't.
Lold