Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Brive1987 »

I am shocked that peez cherry picked the least sympathetic quote for his colateral damage claim.

He missed this one in the same article:

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter has said that the U.S. is still trying to determine what happened in the airstrike.

In a statement, Carter said:

"Overnight I learned of a tragic incident involving a Doctors without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that came under fire. The area has been the scene of intense fighting the last few days. U.S. forces in support of Afghan Security Forces were operating nearby, as were Taliban fighters.

"While we are still trying to determine exactly what happened, I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to everyone affected. A full investigation into the tragic incident is underway in coordination with the Afghan government.

"At this difficult moment, we will continue to work with our Afghan partners to try and end the ongoing violence in and around Kunduz."

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

rayshul wrote:I'm quietly interested in Lauren Southern at the moment - she's a libertarian independent politician and involved in anti-feminism. She's attending a course on women's studies and is reporting back on it. I'm moderately sure this has come up on the pit before, but thought it was worth a note.

What's unsurprising to me is Lauren's earlier posts on who gets into women's studies - art students, social work students, psychology students, english students. (My mother, the only person I know who has qualifications in women studies, also has degrees/post-grad qualifications in social work and English.)

But the interesting thing for me is that most of the people doing the course don't yet sound like they've been radicalised into SJW-ness.
What I loved about this is they were told not to discuss the class to people outside of the course. :o Can you imagine any other subject doing this. It is just a cult plain and simple.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

What I loved about this is they were told not to discuss the class to people outside of the course. :o Can you imagine any other subject doing this. It is just a cult plain and simple.
I wonder how many years of gender studies it takes until they explain how Xena, Galactic warrior queen, overpopulation, hetans and shetans getting dumped into giant volcanic rift fissures with frilly edges...

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I find both Ashley Miller's and Pez's posts hopelessly confused. Last I checked, the only people who ever thought atheists were magically endowed with moral superiority were people like PZ. They're the ones who get confused when all atheists don't live up to their moral prescriptions. Those like Harris and Dawkins have claimed that religion is _a_ source of evil in this world, and so it is. They've never argued that atheists don't need to work within their worldview to craft a better, more just world. In fact, to my knowledge, the one New Atheist who has actually put considerable effort into it has been Harris, with The Moral Landscape. But (surprise) those like PZ and Benson were dissatisfied (read: jealous) of it and panned it. So now the one person who actually stopped bitching and attempted to do something about the atheist morality gap is considered by them the moral pariah of atheism. As usual, SJW atheists have their heads fully ass embedded.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:With friends like PZ atheism/humanism doesn't need enemies:
https://archive.is/lhrfP

And the scumbag even takes another swipe at Jamila Bey as well as Sam Harris.
The shooter described himself as not religious but spiritual, a fan of the IRA, into astrology, magick and the occult and lying shithead PZ wants to lump him in with atheists, especially dictionary atheists and Republican atheists.
If PZ wants to see a really hateful, dishonest atheist he only has to look in the mirror. :twisted:
Peezus just loves it when a white male atheist does something bad. It is another opportunity for him to display his righteousness to his fellow baboons. Never mind that the bad person in this case is not white and probably not an atheist -- and definitely not a new atheist. Nor do we know anything about his motive. Peezus is not interested in such details. Who cares about the truth? The important thing is that he has found an excuse to smear his betters by making them somehow responsible. In which way they are responsible is left to the reader's imagination. Peezus is blatantly, intensely jealous of people who are superior writers, who are more successful and influential than he is. He hates them for being his betters.

Like them he once aspired to be a thought leader. But he lacked the capacity for rigorous and original thought as well as the writing talent, and has ended up being a cranky preacher as dishonest as the worst televangelist. The man is an abject failure as a thinker and as a human being. He belongs with the C.J. Werlemans of this world. In the dustbin of history.
Ashley Miller meanwhile is either frank or projecting. Who's “we” in her article? She is not seriously thinking to be in the same boat as those filthy other Atheists. I thought she is of the Atheism Superior type, how was that once called again, Atheism Plus?

https://archive.is/hbowD

it's interesting though that they are people who are clearly convinced up is down and war is peace, straightface. PZ Myers now claims his critics were “authoritarians” completely against all common sense, because — he's being serious — they disagree with him when he attacks some other person. He is so obtuse that he doesn't even see that he is almost always concerned with people, and hardly cares about events (they are only excuses to talk about people), and practically never rises above to discuss ideas. You cannot disagree with him on ideas, when that isn't his thing. You invariably wind up defending a person because PZ Myers is not even capable to adequately represent the ideas they hold — which, you see, becomes the same thing. He must make it about people and so it is, for him anyways, about people. And then comes Ashley Miller with her “we”, actually meaning other atheists, and most definitely not meaning herself and her own faction.

Now the really bizarre: she argues in great length about the evils of dictionary atheism, then at the end:
Atheism is a rejection of a belief, but it is not a philosophy or creed. The atheist community online builds up creeds and philosophies in light of that absence. It is reactionary. Many of us have come from environments that were hostile to our non-belief and so we respond with hostility to the kind of beliefs and people who were responsible for our unhappiness. We, like nerds have always done, take refuge in our intellectual superiority to salve wounds of rejection and, in doing so, think other people are less worthy than we are.
We have to let it go. We have to stop thinking we are better than other people just because we know something they don’t — that’s exactly why religious people act the way they do. We aren’t better than anybody and we never were.
“We” — Ashley and PZ Myers, and Greta Christina and so forth, sure! But not “we” and not Sam Harris either, who, after all already proposed his ideas in e.g. Moral Landscape and then he has this whole spirituality thing and meditation. His oevre isn't negative (in the sense that it contains only rejection of ideas of others condensed into a worldview), he has things he endorses. He just doesn't claim it follows from atheism automatically. Richard Dawkins, the same: he has the “sense of wonder” theme running through his work. And PZ Myers? He's only a hater, and Ashley Miller has nothing to offer either but bleak misanthropy. Here we are, years later, and they still haven't made a coherent suggestion. They're still whining and defining themselves in contrast to others, by what they are not.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Parody Accountant wrote: But did cj really write cj's books?
Peez's only "book" is 99% self-plagiarized. If Werleman cobbled together even 2-3 original sentences per book he's doing better than Myers.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Jan Steen wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:With friends like PZ atheism/humanism doesn't need enemies:

The shooter described himself as not religious but spiritual, a fan of the IRA, into astrology, magick and the occult and lying shithead PZ wants to lump him in with atheists, especially dictionary atheists and Republican atheists.
If PZ wants to see a really hateful, dishonest atheist he only has to look in the mirror. :twisted:
Peezus just loves it when a white male atheist does something bad. It is another opportunity for him to display his righteousness to his fellow baboons. Never mind that the bad person in this case is not white and probably not an atheist -- and definitely not a new atheist. Nor do we know anything about his motive. Peezus is not interested in such details. Who cares about the truth? The important thing is that he has found an excuse to smear his betters by making them somehow responsible. In which way they are responsible is left to the reader's imagination. Peezus is blatantly, intensely jealous of people who are superior writers, who are more successful and influential than he is. He hates them for being his betters.

Like them he once aspired to be a thought leader. But he lacked the capacity for rigorous and original thought as well as the writing talent, and has ended up being a cranky preacher as dishonest as the worst televangelist. The man is an abject failure as a thinker and as a human being. He belongs with the C.J. Werlemans of this world. In the dustbin of history.
So when you have a position on the existence of god/s you are only allowed other positions on thought, philosophy, politics etc within the frame of reference of your position on god/s existence. I'm just out to do some atheist gardening and I might watch some football later (within the framework of atheism of course.)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

rayshul wrote:I'm quietly interested in Lauren Southern at the moment - she's a libertarian independent politician and involved in anti-feminism. She's attending a course on women's studies and is reporting back on it. I'm moderately sure this has come up on the pit before, but thought it was worth a note.

What's unsurprising to me is Lauren's earlier posts on who gets into women's studies - art students, social work students, psychology students, english students. (My mother, the only person I know who has qualifications in women studies, also has degrees/post-grad qualifications in social work and English.)

But the interesting thing for me is that most of the people doing the course don't yet sound like they've been radicalised into SJW-ness.
A lot of the SJW narrative is a heavy distortion of the original womans, or gender, studies and some do stay true to the original intent.

An example is that toxic masculinity was actually supposed to be the examination of how men were forced to act in traditional male roles, such as go to war and never cry, and the harm that could cause some of them. That's exactly what the original paper was about back in 1979 or whenever.

SJW's hijack, distort and ruin decent work and research. Now only crap research which has determined the outcome before it is even done is financed . Myers is like a born again Christian or creationist.He is so sure of himself, so full of self righteousness and so ignorant of basic human relations he does not realise he is trashing the very principles his own subject, Biology, is built on. He really is an idiot which also makes him incredibly gullible, a terrible trait for a Scientist to have.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Parody Accountant wrote: Do you like to sluck clocks? Bullshit. You look like you could sluck a golf ball through a garden hose.
That is my avatar, not me. And you sluck at quotes. And feminism in your spelling would be fleminism which is close enough to phlegminism that I approve your flucked up resplonse. Are we fliends now?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

[youtube]XPI-6okYdX0[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

^ Potholer's latest.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Judging by the current "ahteism sucks" thread over at the PeeZus Party Palace for Clowns (http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -bankrupt/), it seems quite clear to me that what they've done, are doing, is redefining the words atheist/atheism, as used by anyone not them, to refer specifically to:

Someone who consciously and with intent does not believe in gods, and who also concurrently and without exception believes that women are lesser beings, that anyone not white is bad, that trans people, furries, et al. are wrong, and so on and so forth.

And when atheists who are not of the (FTB) body refer to or use the word atheists, they really mean dictionary atheists as defined by Lord Peezmuffin, and not just people who do not believe in god, because people who just do not believe in god must also actually concurrently and without exception believe that women are lesser beings, that anyone not white is bad, that trans people, furries, et al. are wrong, and so on and so forth because Doctor Pizzbifurcate said so and that that particular definition/description of atheists, as used by atheists who are not of the (FTB) body actually refers to the phrase dictionary atheist as described and defined by Lord PeeZuspuffer, and that anyone who is not of the body actually knows this but is only trying to continue using the plain and lonely word atheist when they actually mean dictionary atheist because they are trying to give real atheists, ie., those of the (FTB) body a real bad name. Which those of the (FTB) body wouldn't have at all if only we, not of the body, would only leave them alone and so, of course, that means that anyone who does not hold the FTB defintion/description of atheism, which of course changes hourly because they're coming at it from all the wrong angles at once and can never ever settle on a useful or meaningful definition/description that doesn't insult as many people as it confuses, is a normal, i.e., dictionary atheist, which is defined above. Somewhere.

Lunacy like this is a rare and entertaining thing to witness.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Re: Atheist school shooter - PZ really needs to get over it.....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ver-grasp/

http://i.imgur.com/I8IUDp6.jpg

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Yes, Gad Saad is someone worth listening to: a rare academic who's vocally anti-SJW. Think Steven Pinker minus the niceties and any concern for public image.

(Incidentally, both Saad and Pinker are contributors to the new prohibitively expensive second edition of The Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology.)

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Parody Accountant wrote:

Religion is primitive and lacking in any tools to address deep injustices and correct errors in its formulation. I am all in favor of tearing it down and replacing it with what?

Reason is not enough. Reason can show you the best way to achieve a goal, but if your goal is mass murder, or denigration of women, or the perpetuation of an oppressive hierarchy, it’ll help you do that, too. .

That’s not my atheism, though.

But then it’s also clear that my vision of what atheism ought to be is a minority view.
link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... more-25571

We know exactly what PZ'S atheism looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/laYgXgP.png
90470.jpg
[youtube]MoA63WunEJ0[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:From the Skepticon web site:
In addition to competing, Fallon is pursuing speaking engagements to tell her story, share how Mixed Martial Arts and other contact sports can empower women of all stripes, and how all of this fits within her perspective as a feminist. Skepticon 8 will be Fallon’s first skeptic conference as a speaker and we couldn’t be happier to have her!
What does any of this have to do with skepticism? There's a reason she hasn't spoken at a skeptic conference before.
She is worth every penny they are paying her.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HunnyBunny wrote: I think they might be on to us. Did you guys forget to use the back channel again?

PS: Hi MA!

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images ... c-sign.jpg
Sorry M.A. Melby. I am not into gang-bangs. Try checking with Richard Carrier. I understand that if in the course of things, he doesn't matter if he gets semen on his face.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tapir wrote:Re: Atheist school shooter - PZ really needs to get over it.....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ver-grasp/

http://i.imgur.com/I8IUDp6.jpg
And the first comment corrects the infographic by claiming "cure malaria" Gates is an evil evil man.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

deLurch wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote: I think they might be on to us. Did you guys forget to use the back channel again?

PS: Hi MA!

[.img]http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images ... c-sign.jpg[/img]
Sorry M.A. Melby. I am not into gang-bangs. Try checking with Richard Carrier. I understand that if in the course of things, he doesn't matter if he gets semen on his face.
:-) But while one might argue that she's overreacted somewhat, I can sort of see that she might have been somewhat peeved with Matt Cavanaugh's suggestion, the proximate cause for that response:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Aneris wrote:it's interesting though that they are people who are clearly convinced up is down and war is peace, straightface. PZ Myers now claims his critics were “authoritarians” completely against all common sense, because — he's being serious — they disagree with him when he attacks some other person. .
I've noticed that PZ uses a skewed version of "authoritarianism." I won't go so far as to say he doesn't understand what it means. I suppose he could find a dictionary definition (heh) to corroborate the way he means it, which is something like "the reliance on or defense of authority figures." To me, authoritarianism is less about how people consider authority and more about how authority considers itself. The recognition of authority doesn't connote authoritarianism or every time you visited a physician, you would be participating in an act of authoritarianism. Myers takes pains to paint himself as not seeking authority, and takes pains to paint others as doing so, but he need only look in a mirror to see a real authoritarian. He lives and breathes it. He yearns for the capacity to tell others how to think and what to do.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

And the scumbag even takes another swipe at Jamila Bey as well as Sam Harris. ....
Peezus just loves it when a white male atheist does something bad. It is another opportunity for him to display his righteousness to his fellow baboons. ....
Ashley Miller meanwhile is either frank or projecting. Who's “we” in her article? She is not seriously thinking to be in the same boat as those filthy other Atheists. I thought she is of the Atheism Superior type, how was that once called again, Atheism Plus?

<snip>

“We” — Ashley and PZ Myers, and Greta Christina and so forth, sure! But not “we” and not Sam Harris either, who, after all already proposed his ideas in e.g. Moral Landscape and then he has this whole spirituality thing and meditation. His oevre isn't negative (in the sense that it contains only rejection of ideas of others condensed into a worldview), he has things he endorses. He just doesn't claim it follows from atheism automatically. Richard Dawkins, the same: he has the “sense of wonder” theme running through his work. And PZ Myers? He's only a hater, and Ashley Miller has nothing to offer either but bleak misanthropy. Here we are, years later, and they still haven't made a coherent suggestion. They're still whining and defining themselves in contrast to others, by what they are not.
You, and others, make some reasonable points in your criticisms of both Myers & Miller, although I think the former is far more culpable. However, I think one might argue that “your” own tribalism is, to some extent, obscuring if not blinding you to the fact that both of them, the latter more so than the former, have recognized that “Atheism” – however its defined – isn’t any particular guarantee of being more moral than any other “ism”. A salient point from Miller’s post:
Furthermore, the atheist community is culpable of spreading bad ideas. We share memes and the belief that religious people are bad and that all religions and expressions of those religions are bad. That people who are religious aren’t worthwhile and are certainly too stupid to be respected. We dehumanize people who disagree with us instead of arguing about ideas.
While you might have some justification for arguing that “they” are averse to considering themselves encompassed by Miller’s “we” – “we have seen the enemy, and he is us”, it still seems that Miller’s post in particular is a step in the right direction, and that it should be considered a positive development and a basis for further discussion. Given that “they” have conceded the principle, it seems the best course of action is to put them on the spot as I and abear have done (more or less) in Miller’s comments; to get them to put their money where their mouths are, and consider how they have been guilty of “spreading bad ideas” and their consequences.

Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. But it seems “you” can’t very well do that if “you” insist on condemning everything that comes out of their mouths simply because of the “tribe” they’re members of – need to work with what’s given rather than looking a gift horse in the mouth. So to speak.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: :-) But while one might argue that she's overreacted somewhat, I can sort of see that she might have been somewhat peeved with Matt Cavanaugh's suggestion, the proximate cause for that response:
That's not very skeptical, though, or rational for that matter. Melby is judging Matt Cavanugh's proposal for a Slymepit booth about skepticism as a source of trouble without even knowing what Matt Cavanaugh is going to prepare.

Melby's reaction is ideological and dogmatic. She's rejecting Cavanaugh's ideas without even knowing what they are just because it's a "Slymepit booth". That goes against the principles of skepticism and rationality.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote: :-) But while one might argue that she's overreacted somewhat, I can sort of see that she might have been somewhat peeved with Matt Cavanaugh's suggestion, the proximate cause for that response:
[.tweet][/tweet]

That's not very skeptical, though, or rational for that matter. Melby is judging Matt Cavanugh's proposal for a Slymepit booth about skepticism as a source of trouble without even knowing what Matt Cavanaugh is going to prepare.

Melby's reaction is ideological and dogmatic. She's rejecting Cavanaugh's ideas without even knowing what they are just because it's a "Slymepit booth". That goes against the principles of skepticism and rationality.
Maybe. But that looks a little disingenuous given that Matt has, if I'm not terribly mistaken, been no particular friend of Melby's feminism or of the organization - Secular Woman - she's part of. You think she has no justification for envisaging the hoots of derisive laughter that would follow from a SlymePit based presentation there?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Myers relies on a simple but effective technique that could be called trolling depending on whether or not he's stupid enough to believe his own shit, but it goes like this: Shit on someone more famous than himself who has a generally good reputation, then when people question who the fuck is this bearded little goblin saying this shit and why, accuse them of being mindless, slavering fanboys.

There was an infamous incident a few years ago where Fox News decided for whatever reason they wanted to take a big steaming shit on Fred Rogers, possibly the least offensive person who ever lived, and the response from almost the entirety of everyone who watched it was "what the fuck is wrong with these people?" Had they been operating as PZ does, they would have accused everyone who took issue with their hatchet job of being brainless Mr. Rogers sycophants who can't stand to see Dear Leader criticized.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: You, and others, make some reasonable points in your criticisms of both Myers & Miller, although I think the former is far more culpable. However, I think one might argue that “your” own tribalism is, to some extent, obscuring if not blinding you to the fact that both of them, the latter more so than the former, have recognized that “Atheism” – however its defined – isn’t any particular guarantee of being more moral than any other “ism”. A salient point from Miller’s post:
Furthermore, the atheist community is culpable of spreading bad ideas. We share memes and the belief that religious people are bad and that all religions and expressions of those religions are bad. That people who are religious aren’t worthwhile and are certainly too stupid to be respected. We dehumanize people who disagree with us instead of arguing about ideas.
There's some irony about someone who belongs to a network that dehumanizes all of its critics routinely ("rape apologists! "scumbags!" "fuck them into ground!" "demented fuckwits!") writing those words about tolerance and respect.

However for once I can't fault Miller too much, especially when she emphasizes that telling religious people that they're not worthwhile, or too stupid, is a bad idea. It's also a bad idea to argue against people and not against ideas. In this respect I think that Michael Nugent is doing a very good job at atheist activism, much better than FTB or many other atheist organizations.

What atheist activism has to strive for is the complete separation of states and churches, the repeal of illiberal laws based on religion, the end of certain privileges guaranteed to churches and other religious associations (tax exemptions, donations from governmental sources without governmental control, state sponsored religious message and prayers, the crime of blasphemy, the teaching of religion in public schools, etc.) and fight against discrimination towards atheists, agnostics and all "heretics".

The beef that atheists should with religion is an issue of the power of organized religions to bend laws in their favor. A religion which is no power to enact illiberal laws, and which is treated by the state as any other free private association, like a bowling club or a charity, is a harmless religion. Such a religion might still be funny, or nonsensical, but if it's basically just a club which people can freely join or leave with no other harm that not being a part of that club then no rational, liberal atheist should have a problem with it.

If all religions had the same political power of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster then there would be no need for social and political activism of the atheist movement.

Other issues about human rights could still be handled under the "larger tent" of humanism (which doesn't explicitly reject religious people which are able to separate their personal beliefs from their political activism).
While you might have some justification for arguing that “they” are averse to considering themselves encompassed by Miller’s “we” – “we have seen the enemy, and he is us”, it still seems that Miller’s post in particular is a step in the right direction, and that it should be considered a positive development and a basis for further discussion. Given that “they” have conceded the principle, it seems the best course of action is to put them on the spot as I and abear have done (more or less) in Miller’s comments; to get them to put their money where their mouths are, and consider how they have been guilty of “spreading bad ideas” and their consequences.
That's a commendable course of action on your part. I'd join you if I could but it seems like for one reason or the other I cannot comment on Ashley's blog. Good luck with your effort.
Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. But it seems “you” can’t very well do that if “you” insist on condemning everything that comes out of their mouths simply because of the “tribe” they’re members of – need to work with what’s given rather than looking a gift horse in the mouth. So to speak.
I agree that "we" should be able to look past previous behavior and ideological affiliation and evaluate Miller's words for what they are. Sure it'd be nice if Miller would do the same with "us"...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
[.tweet][/tweet]

Maybe. But that looks a little disingenuous given that Matt has, if I'm not terribly mistaken, been no particular friend of Melby's feminism or of the organization - Secular Woman - she's part of. You think she has no justification for envisaging the hoots of derisive laughter that would follow from a SlymePit based presentation there?
Melby seems to be guilty of tribalism here, just like the people you decry for not considering Ashely Miller's words on their own merits regardless of her "affiliation".

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

MA Melby hates our diverse voices.

We're LGBT, we're multi-ethnic, we're from all over the globe, we're men, women and the occasional otherkin.

WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED!!!!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote: You, and others, make some reasonable points in your criticisms of both Myers & Miller, although I think the former is far more culpable. However, I think one might argue that “your” own tribalism is, to some extent, obscuring if not blinding you to the fact that both of them, the latter more so than the former, have recognized that “Atheism” – however its defined – isn’t any particular guarantee of being more moral than any other “ism”. ....
There's some irony about someone who belongs to a network that dehumanizes all of its critics routinely ("rape apologists! "scumbags!" "fuck them into ground!" "demented fuckwits!") writing those words about tolerance and respect.
Indeed. Though those types of responses are mostly PZ's doing so I'm not sure to what extent Miller can be condemned for either not knowing of them or not criticizing them. Have "we" all been ready to criticize the cheap shots made here?
Kirbmarc wrote:However for once I can't fault Miller too much, especially when she emphasizes that telling religious people that they're not worthwhile, or too stupid, is a bad idea. It's also a bad idea to argue against people and not against ideas. In this respect I think that Michael Nugent is doing a very good job at atheist activism, much better than FTB or many other atheist organizations.
Indeed.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:While you [Aneris] might have some justification for arguing that “they” are averse to considering themselves encompassed by Miller’s “we” – “we have seen the enemy, and he is us”, it still seems that Miller’s post in particular is a step in the right direction, and that it should be considered a positive development and a basis for further discussion. Given that “they” have conceded the principle, it seems the best course of action is to put them on the spot as I and abear have done (more or less) in Miller’s comments; to get them to put their money where their mouths are, and consider how they have been guilty of “spreading bad ideas” and their consequences.
That's a commendable course of action on your part. I'd join you if I could but it seems like for one reason or the other I cannot comment on Ashley's blog. Good luck with your effort.
Thanks - we'll see how that goes. Somewhat amusing that PZ apparently hasn't read all of Miller's post as it's hard to fathom how he couldn't see that many of her criticisms could well be applied to him. Which I've endeavoured to suggest. :-)

But I don't know offhand why you wouldn't be able to comment there as she seems pretty tolerant of most commenters - as was well in evidence during the discussions surrounding Nugent's anathematizing of PZ. You might try a different e-mail address.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. But it seems “you” can’t very well do that if “you” insist on condemning everything that comes out of their mouths simply because of the “tribe” they’re members of – need to work with what’s given rather than looking a gift horse in the mouth. So to speak.
I agree that "we" should be able to look past previous behavior and ideological affiliation and evaluate Miller's words for what they are. Sure it'd be nice if Miller would do the same with "us"...
Rapproachement takes a lot of quid pro quo - can't expect it to happen overnight.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:MA Melby hates our diverse voices.
Maybe that's true, but I wonder what evidence you have for that.
rayshul wrote:We're LGBT, we're multi-ethnic, we're from all over the globe, we're men, women and the occasional otherkin. ....
Don't think that that is any less true of them. If we have any claim to fame, to the moral high-ground, then I think it's in the open forum, in the actual commitment rather than mere lip service, to the concept of free thought.

[Time to call it a day though; night all]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

At least 10 dead in my departement last night after a huge storm. Ali and I were outside at the restaurant when it started. We had to wait until almost midnight to get home, and even then, there was still about 1 meter of water in parts of our street. And of course, the lift was and still is out of order, so I had to take the stairs with the crutches, and now I'm stuck home while Ali is working instead of having lunch with my family.

/rant

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

comhcinc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
The pleady whiny types sound delicious to me. Especially when they bring their own hot sauce> :animals-bear:
The only thing TJ is qualified to speak about is the proper use of bananas outside the kitchen.
Didn't he also do a video with cooking oil? I'm almost positive I saw that one but only heard about the banana one. Anyways, I think that was also a non-kitchen use based on what he was doing with it. Unless he filmed that one while IN the kitchen... :think:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Steersman wrote: Maybe. But that looks a little disingenuous given that Matt has, if I'm not terribly mistaken, been no particular friend of Melby's feminism or of the organization - Secular Woman - she's part of. You think she has no justification for envisaging the hoots of derisive laughter that would follow from a SlymePit based presentation there?
been no particular friend of Melby's TRANS-feminism
FIFY Steersman, Melby is not a feminist.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Joking, Steers.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Aneris wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

it's interesting though that they are people who are clearly convinced up is down and war is peace, straightface. PZ Myers now claims his critics were “authoritarians” completely against all common sense, because — he's being serious — they disagree with him when he attacks some other person. He is so obtuse that he doesn't even see that he is almost always concerned with people, and hardly cares about events (they are only excuses to talk about people), and practically never rises above to discuss ideas. You cannot disagree with him on ideas, when that isn't his thing. You invariably wind up defending a person because PZ Myers is not even capable to adequately represent the ideas they hold — which, you see, becomes the same thing. He must make it about people and so it is, for him anyways, about people. And then comes Ashley Miller with her “we”, actually meaning other atheists, and most definitely not meaning herself and her own faction.

Now the really bizarre: she argues in great length about the evils of dictionary atheism, then at the end:
Atheism is a rejection of a belief, but it is not a philosophy or creed. The atheist community online builds up creeds and philosophies in light of that absence. It is reactionary. Many of us have come from environments that were hostile to our non-belief and so we respond with hostility to the kind of beliefs and people who were responsible for our unhappiness. We, like nerds have always done, take refuge in our intellectual superiority to salve wounds of rejection and, in doing so, think other people are less worthy than we are.
We have to let it go. We have to stop thinking we are better than other people just because we know something they don’t — that’s exactly why religious people act the way they do. We aren’t better than anybody and we never were.
Thanks for distilling that, Aneris. Yeah, that really hurt my head. She's not even aware that she is arguing for dictionary atheism.

Parody Accountant

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote: Do you like to sluck clocks? Bullshit. You look like you could sluck a golf ball through a garden hose.
That is my avatar, not me. And you sluck at quotes. And feminism in your spelling would be fleminism which is close enough to phlegminism that I approve your flucked up resplonse. Are we fliends now?
uploadfromtaptalk1443958862380.jpg
(89.29 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

Parody Accountant

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:At least 10 dead in my departement last night after a huge storm. Ali and I were outside at the restaurant when it started. We had to wait until almost midnight to get home, and even then, there was still about 1 meter of water in parts of our street. And of course, the lift was and still is out of order, so I had to take the stairs with the crutches, and now I'm stuck home while Ali is working instead of having lunch with my family.

/rant
uploadfromtaptalk1443959950931.png
(430.58 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Well it looks like you're stuck upstairs. At least nothing bad can happen to you now.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

JackSkeptic wrote:

A lot of the SJW narrative is a heavy distortion of the original womans, or gender, studies and some do stay true to the original intent.

An example is that toxic masculinity was actually supposed to be the examination of how men were forced to act in traditional male roles, such as go to war and never cry, and the harm that could cause some of them. That's exactly what the original paper was about back in 1979 or whenever.

SJW's hijack, distort and ruin decent work and research. Now only crap research which has determined the outcome before it is even done is financed . Myers is like a born again Christian or creationist.He is so sure of himself, so full of self righteousness and so ignorant of basic human relations he does not realise he is trashing the very principles his own subject, Biology, is built on. He really is an idiot which also makes him incredibly gullible, a terrible trait for a Scientist to have.
I don't believe there was a golden era, pre-sjw, when feminism was "decent work and research".

The specific term you used as an example-- toxic masculinity-- appears to have been coined by Stephen Bliss in the 1990's, as part of the drumming-circle era of the 'men's movement'.

Part of your point still applies: the term wasn't originally used in the vicious way SJWs use it.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Hey, Melby,
I'm still waiting for a reply to the harassment policy violations I reported after Skepticon 6.
Any word?

http://i.imgur.com/BqUhLyi.png
I am writing in regard to an incident which occurred during the 'Godless Perverts Story Hour' at Skepticon 6. According to Skepticon's official Harassment Policy: "Harassment includes offensive verbal comments [related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religious identity]".

Acting in her role as an invited Skepticon speaker, Rebecca Watson made offensive verbal comments about the religious identity of an ex-Mormon, who Watson referred to as "you ex-Mormon fucker".

Watson then detailed a bizarre and unfounded claim that (according to her) ex-Mormons are cautious about their own reproductive choices because, "you think it's in your genetics. The reason why you have 8,000 siblings is that the Mormon sperm just cannot be held back." She then contrasted "Mormon sperm" versus "human sperm."

In truth, the bigoted distinction Rebecca Watson drew between "Mormon sperm" and "human sperm" is attributable only to her: she-alone asserts that "human sperm" does not include "Mormon sperm." No ex-Mormon or Mormon 'individually or as a group' espouses this outrageous belief, which Rebecca Watson falsely attributes to Others' religious identity.

Rebecca Watson twice referred to ex-Mormons as having "8,000 siblings," another bigoted stereotype. (According to independent research by the Pew Foundation, married Mormons in the US have a comparable number of children to married non-Mormons.)

It is especially troubling that a religious identity which begins with the prefix 'ex-' was slurred, at an event devoted to secularism and atheism. This flies in the face of Skepticon professing "a harassment-free conference experience for everyone."  Many Skepticon attendees struggle with their own religious identity as 'ex-' members of religions.

Unfortunately, Rebecca Watson's offensive verbal comments about religious identity are not limited to the above examples. She also referred to the ex-Mormon's personal beverage choice of water over alcohol as due to "a horrific thing in their past."

Additionally, Rebecca Watson violated Skepticon's prohibition against offensive verbal comments related to physical appearance by saying the ex-Mormon "had that Mormon look about him." She sexually objectified that person as "pleasing to my eye," and she used the offensive diminuitive "boy" to describe an adult. Skepticon's policy expressly prohibits offensive verbal comments related to 'gender', 'body size', and 'disability' but Rebecca Watson questioned the adequacy of men with small penises, saying "I don't want to give you the Magnum [brand of large condom] if that's not your deal and you feel inadequate".

Lastly, Skepticon's Harassment Policy states, "While Skepticon does encourage an environment of sex positivity where sex and sexuality are discussed, we will make every effort to make our convention attendees as comfortable as possible." But Rebecca Watson's presentation was replete with assertions contrary to the sex positive ethos: Sex positivity discourages ordering "one of everything" at a bar, before sex-- and also discourages shaming someone for remaining sober before sex. Rebecca Watson suggested there is a 'point of no return' in sexual encounters, several minutes before intercourse, after-which sex is inevitable. Wrong: consent can be revoked. The sex positive community does not agree with Rebecca Watson that use of the birth control pill makes women "crazier". Nor is it sex positive to assert, as Watson did, that there's anything 'wrong' when someone wants to "wait a month" between meeting a new partner and first having sex. Nor is it sex positive to respond to a partner's thoughtful hesitation with an exasperated raised voice, complaining, "You could just stick the condom on your dick and fuck me!" In response to a partner saying, "I don't feel comfortable with that," Rebecca Watson quoted herself as saying "Fuck you."  Rebecca Watson's wisdom does not, in practice, "encourage an environment of sex positivity," as Skepticon's Harassment Policy requires.

A harassment policy which is not uniformly enforced is worse than no policy at all. Likewise, double-standards should not be applied when it comes to who is and isn't called-out for perpetrating 'rape culture'. I hope this complaint will not be swept under the rug. The veracity of these claims can easily be confirmed, here:

I am wary of retaliation against my whistleblowing, so I do not wish to give my full name at this time. Please keep me informed of any action Skepticon takes in this matter by replying to the email address I provided with this form.

Thank you.

ICD,
12/6/2013

Parody Accountant

Elyse is a free bleeder? I thought that was a joke.

If you have a weak stomach, don't look at her instagram right now.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:I suppose that one could volunteer to be her training partner.

[.youtube]qCfWbsXfDsc[/youtube]
And it would be the most sexually fulfilling minutes of my life.
I don't think she's supposed to touch you there, Really, and if she did, it would be the most agonising minutes of your life.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

http://i.imgur.com/RGMv3mI.png

On Mother’s Day, Honeybanders wrote that he has been “emotionally abused by my mother for years” resulting in “self esteem issues.” “I felt I was unworthy of being loved or loving someone else.” “I was shamed for my weight, my looks...”

That dude isn’t equipped to stand up for himself & tell Elyse her rampages and polyamory are hurting him.

In the words of the best-selling independent label record of all time (11 million copies, worldwide)...
[youtube]bueuGw47IG0[/youtube]

I wrote her off for the tenth time today
And practiced all the things I would say
But she came over, I lost my nerve
I took her back and made her dessert

Now I know I'm being used
That's okay, man, 'cause I like the abuse
I know she's playing with me
That's okay 'cause I got no self esteem

We make plans to go out at night
I wait 'til 2 then I turn out the light
This rejection's got me so low
If she keeps it up I just might tell her so

When she's saying that she wants only me
Then I wonder why she sleeps with my friends
When she's saying that I'm like a disease
Then I wonder how much more I can spend
Well, I guess I should stick up for myself
But I really think it's better this way
The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care
Right? Yeah, yeah, yeah

Now I'll relate this little bit
That happens more than I'd like to admit
Late at night she knocks on my door
She's drunk again and looking to score

Now I know I should say "No"
But that's kind of hard when she's ready to go
I may be dumb but I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self esteem

The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care. Right?

Parody Accountant

Service Dog wrote:http://i.imgur.com/RGMv3mI.png

On Mother’s Day, Honeybanders wrote that he has been “emotionally abused by my mother for years” resulting in “self esteem issues.” “I felt I was unworthy of being loved or loving someone else.” “I was shamed for my weight, my looks...”

That dude isn’t equipped to stand up for himself & tell Elyse her rampages and polyamory are hurting him.

In the words of the best-selling independent label record of all time (11 million copies, worldwide)...
[youtube]bueuGw47IG0[/youtube]

I wrote her off for the tenth time today
And practiced all the things I would say
But she came over, I lost my nerve
I took her back and made her dessert

Now I know I'm being used
That's okay, man, 'cause I like the abuse
I know she's playing with me
That's okay 'cause I got no self esteem

We make plans to go out at night
I wait 'til 2 then I turn out the light
This rejection's got me so low
If she keeps it up I just might tell her so

When she's saying that she wants only me
Then I wonder why she sleeps with my friends
When she's saying that I'm like a disease
Then I wonder how much more I can spend
Well, I guess I should stick up for myself
But I really think it's better this way
The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care
Right? Yeah, yeah, yeah

Now I'll relate this little bit
That happens more than I'd like to admit
Late at night she knocks on my door
She's drunk again and looking to score

Now I know I should say "No"
But that's kind of hard when she's ready to go
I may be dumb but I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self esteem

The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care. Right?
uncanny how the lyrics echo bandicooter's life

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Remember years ago there were GIFs that showed Paris Hilton had only one pose, one expression? Me too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:Remember years ago there were GIFs that showed Paris Hilton had only one pose, one expression? Me too.

[youtube]mkoPq5AOCOA[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

comhcinc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Remember years ago there were GIFs that showed Paris Hilton had only one pose, one expression? Me too.

[youtube]mkoPq5AOCOA[/youtube]
He just needs a fundraiser so can afford to rent a comb more than one day a week. Some smartly combed hair will put him back in the saddle in no time!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:At least 10 dead in my departement last night after a huge storm. Ali and I were outside at the restaurant when it started. We had to wait until almost midnight to get home, and even then, there was still about 1 meter of water in parts of our street. And of course, the lift was and still is out of order, so I had to take the stairs with the crutches, and now I'm stuck home while Ali is working instead of having lunch with my family.

/rant
Now 16 dead, and Hollande is on his way. Didn't see much warning of the storm on French weather sites.

Parody Accountant

I just realized that elyse JUST got her period.

At the recent smash party, she mentioned bleeding everywhere. 2 blankets had to be destroyed.

That. Was. Butt. Blood.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Heh. Elyse's period piece (see what I did there?) was reported by someone to Facebook for containing 'graphic violence'. Naturally, she assumes it was a man who did it, because 'Men are literally babies who would die if they had to be women for 15 minutes.' A fair old bit of trans-erasure there, considering trans-women seem to be coping alright with it - unless you're only a woman if you get a regular visit from the Cardinal, right Elyse?

Also, I reckon there's a bit of skid on her knickers there, the dirty cow.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
Aneris wrote:it's interesting though that they are people who are clearly convinced up is down and war is peace, straightface. PZ Myers now claims his critics were “authoritarians” completely against all common sense, because — he's being serious — they disagree with him when he attacks some other person. .
I've noticed that PZ uses a skewed version of "authoritarianism." I won't go so far as to say he doesn't understand what it means. I suppose he could find a dictionary definition (heh) to corroborate the way he means it, which is something like "the reliance on or defense of authority figures." To me, authoritarianism is less about how people consider authority and more about how authority considers itself. The recognition of authority doesn't connote authoritarianism or every time you visited a physician, you would be participating in an act of authoritarianism. Myers takes pains to paint himself as not seeking authority, and takes pains to paint others as doing so, but he need only look in a mirror to see a real authoritarian. He lives and breathes it. He yearns for the capacity to tell others how to think and what to do.
Peezus confuses two entirely different meanings of 'authority': being 'in authority' and being 'an authority'.

One is being on a position of power and the other is knowing what the fuck you are talking about.

Being an impotent fuckwit Myers lacks both qualities.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Tigzy wrote:Heh. Elyse's period piece (see what I did there?) was reported by someone to Facebook for containing 'graphic violence'. Naturally, she assumes it was a man who did it, because 'Men are literally babies who would die if they had to be women for 15 minutes.' A fair old bit of trans-erasure there, considering trans-women seem to be coping alright with it - unless you're only a woman if you get a regular visit from the Cardinal, right Elyse?

Also, I reckon there's a bit of skid on her knickers there, the dirty cow.
Obligatory:
http://turtleboysports.com/wp-content/u ... rfxb9z.jpg

Also, someone explain to her what "literally" means.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have never been in combat but donut fatigue is hard on a person.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The smashparty Overshare Queens are so deserving of their tiaras, I know which ones got their periods in the condom house & which one got her's now. I could easily check that against Elyse's recent claim of having missed her period after raping-herself.

My neighbor's wife looked at the pic of Elyse swinging the sledge & said, "That's a lot of hair. Is she wearing a wig?", and I didn't have to guess-- Elyse had humblebragged how long-ago she could last afford a haircut. "And her last butt waxing", neighbor's wife reminded me.

But there are still intriguing holes in the puzzle. Elyse keeps bragging about her new Hitachi vibrator.
Is it the $70 classic? Or the new $330 cordless?

Was the SJW backlash & subsequent return of her fundraiser money... due to donors objecting to her blowing the cash on a vibrator?

Given the shorage of dicks at the smash party, were the strewn condoms residue from sharing sex-toys?

Were the Star Wars lookin' attachments designed by Fluevog?
http://i.imgur.com/jJborLX.png

"A button on the handle controls the only two speeds – high and HIGHER. The lower speed is incredibly rumbly, and more powerful than every vibrator I own. The higher speed is still rumbly (though slightly less) and indescribable. Seriously, words fail me. Their website helps a bit… the lower speed has 5,000 vibrations per minute. The higher speed has 6,000 vibrations per minute. For comparison, the highest level on a washing machine is 1,600 rotations per minute. The vibrations are so powerful that the Hitachi actually needs a cool down period of 30 minutes after just 25 minutes of use.....orgasming with other things may be difficult… especially after you’ve been holding the Hitachi to your clit for a few minutes. But this sensation is only temporary, and goes away after your vagina has some time to rest....For some most women, this vibrator will be way WAY too much. From the high intensity level of the vibration alone, I would say that this vibrator is definitely not meant for beginners. I can imagine that as a virgin to sex toys, my vulva and clitoris would have had quite a shock if this was among the first toys to touch their sensitive little bits....
Pros

The most powerful vibrator you’ll ever try
Batteries or charge will never die

Cons

Definitely too powerful for most people
Material is not 100% body safe
Only two settings
Beware of cheap fakes!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ophelia Benson's keyboard:

http://i.imgur.com/9YvzOJC.jpg

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

I think I found the Rebecca Watson fan club headquarters. Presided by one PZ Myers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
(211 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

feathers

Post by feathers »

HunnyBunny wrote:Now 16 dead, and Hollande is on his way.
That the name of another storm? Coming from the north-west then, I presume?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Or did you mean Hollande is #17?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Suet Cardigan wrote: Also, someone explain to her what "literally" means.
#iLiterallyStandWithElyse

Men literally can't even menstruate.

...Honeybanders is literally a baby shot from a time-cannon. Pixlee, as well.
Ape+lust wrote:
I hope the judge factors-in how much tougher-than-any-man Elyse is, when she's sentenced for those violent felonies.

wait, shush... hang on...
[youtube]2F4lYa-XQUY[/youtube]

.....TEN THIRTY-ONE!/ enough chewing-over Elyse's oldmemes, people/ We've got INCOMING!...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

922!

Pixlee is grenade-accusing Elyse's boyfriend of raping somebody. Elyse is taking the accused rapist dude's side & saying she's a rapist-too "in the actual butt-sex part". Elyse is saying Brian was also accused of rape. Elyse tagged other smashpartiers in the facebook post... and is calling them cowards for untagging-themselves. Elyse & Pixlee are accusing each other of intentionally triggering each other, and 'face-punching'.

It's on, mofos!

#hotwar

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube]2-BtquTKw78[/youtube]