Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads

comhcinc

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I say the little goatfucker has terrorist written all over his face! It was a dry run and a successful ruse to guilt white folks into not reporting Muslims that are walking around with IEDs. His next clock will have C4 in it and the authorities will be too embarassed to check. :shock:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

RonSwanson wrote:
Harsh, dude. I wold have graded on a curve there. No need to discourage those kids so early in life. Hell, at least those kids turned in their own work, shitty as it is. The kid that xeroxed that design, though, that kid is fooling no one. F- :dance:

My point is get off the kid's dick.

Watch wrestling.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
I say the little goatfucker has terrorist written all over his face! It was a dry run and a successful ruse to guilt white folks into not reporting Muslims that are walking around with IEDs. His next clock will have C4 in it and the authorities will be too embarassed to check. :shock:

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/df/dfd4e58eb ... 6eeed3.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

This is just proof that jet fuel can't melt steel

http://i41.tinypic.com/rbifls.gif

free thoughtpolice

Just listen to the gushing over the kid being such a genius for putting a clock in a different case. You'd think he'd built a cold fusion device.
[youtube]f_DDpalp_3Y[/youtube]

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

comhcinc wrote: Watch wrestling.
Hard pass. :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Just listen to the gushing over the kid being such a genius for putting a clock in a different case. You'd think he'd built a cold fusion device.
[youtube]f_DDpalp_3Y[/youtub]

So I was looking for a decent image of sour grapes, which yeah I know doesn't really apply but it does feel close to it with all the adults (& bears) whiny about this kid because they don't feel he is enough of a super genius.

Anyway not even looking for wrestling pics. Just searched sour grapes. This came up.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 3a055d.jpg

Sooooooo yeah.........

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

RonSwanson wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Watch wrestling.
Hard pass. :lol:

http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/com ... c9ba89.gif

free thoughtpolice

Anyway not even looking for wrestling pics. Just searched sour grapes. This came up.
Staged combat doesn't do it for me. I prefer the real thing like vintage Jerry Springer. :drool:

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

comhcinc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Just listen to the gushing over the kid being such a genius for putting a clock in a different case. You'd think he'd built a cold fusion device.

So I was looking for a decent image of sour grapes, which yeah I know doesn't really apply but it does feel close to it with all the adults (& bears) whiny about this kid because they don't feel he is enough of a super genius.

Sooooooo yeah.........
You and your brothers?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Staged combat doesn't do it for me. I prefer the real thing like vintage Jerry Springer. :drool:

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/js3.gif

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

NoGodsEver wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Sooooooo yeah.........
You and your brothers?
His sisters.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Just for contrast to the clock discussion, DIY e-cig modders are making their own devices all of the time, like this:

https://slimgur.com/images/2015/09/21/5 ... 54d.md.jpg

There have been some issues with TSA when flying. Even with the industry built mods, those get taken. But as time goes by, and the TSA becomes more well aware of cigarette devices, some vapers are starting to suspect that some of the TSA agents are actually out to steal the more expensive mods.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Ahmed has proven he can use a screwdriver.

These kids, a little more:

http://wpmedia.blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03/1p4.jpg

That someone who screwdrivered a clock out of it's case and screwdrivered it into a suitcase (????? WTF????) might be going to the WH and those kids are not says it all. And there are shitloads more kids like that. But the screwdriver kid get called a genius and someone MIT wants. Doesn't MIT have anyone who can use a screwdriver?

free thoughtpolice

The real thing:
[youtube]4_RuhVuYTlo[/youtube]

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

And btw, if Ahmed had crossed the input terminals on the transformer he could have killed himself ruined a perfectly good screwdriver.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

When I was 14, we had this jock teacher. All he cared about was coaching baseball.
He had played in the big leagues, he claimed. Lied about having-had a baseball card. (We checked.) He'd whip a football at wimpy boys, from under his podium. No matter which Social Studies class you were in-- I got him in 7th grade, my brother got him in 8th, and I got him again in 9th... he recycled the same assignments.
One nonsense assignment was to design a new $5 bill. I made one that commemorated Wrestlemania 1, with Hogan, Mr. T, Piper & Orndorff on it.

He'd make up bullshit stories & we loved busting him. I remember one about "Marvel Comics" suing Sioux City, Iowa for trademark infringement because their "Siouxperland" slogan infringed on Superman. Nerds said "Superman is D.C. comics, not Marvel." And he said, "It's D.C. now, but originally it was published by Marvel." Gibberish. He'd always go further out on the limb.

We called him "Big Dave R" because of his story about someone in the next town over-- with the same name-- stealing his identity & buying lots of shit at the mall. The moral was to always request your middle initial on your checkbook. We checked the phone book & no same-name guy existed. When he'd bullshit, we'd fake-cough and say "R!" We dragged a mower to school & mowed a huge letter R outside his classroom window. When a "Big R" store opened across-from the school sports fields, we were elated. He knew we were fucking-around, but I don't think he knew it was all-about him, not some larger slang or fad.
http://www.homerglenil.org/images/Civic ... _thumb.jpg
Goddamn he had a stupid moustache. Looked like Stacey Keach.
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsK/9154.jpg

My best friend's little sister was quite a bit younger. When she got to his class, she remembered all our lore about him. One day she freaked out on pills, an eating disorder, and Southern Comfort... jumped on top of her desk & screeched that he was still repeating the same old bullshit... and that all his former students still hated-him.

Way after, I looked him up online & he'd failed-upward to being Principal of a Junior High. The school website had a letter from him on the homepage, saying students would have to submit written lyrics in advance, for him to review, for any song requested to be played at school dances. Exactly the sort of fake work he specialized-in. No one ever learned anything in his classes.

The way I see it... any 14 year old kid worth his salt... =should= want to legitimately blow up his school. Not =do= it, but wanna.
Or else, if you like school pretty-well, you should still think it's transgressive & hilarious to joke about wanting to blow the school up.

The little shits you gotta worry about is the ones who Don't Wanna Blow Up The School, Even In Jest. Those bootlickers are gonna sell everybody out, when they grow up.

I just watched Ahmed's interview on Al Jazeera. On one hand, he's so sure that everyone's out-to-get him for his name, race & religion.
On the other hand, he acts like it's absurd that anyone would fear he'd react to all that hate with a hoax or a bomb. See how those don't match-up?

When I felt as persecuted as he does, I was like, "Don't. Push. Me. 'Cause. I'm. Close. To. The. Edge. I'm. Try. -ing. Not to. Lose. My. Head. (Sometimes it makes me wonder, how I keep from going under.)" Hunh-un-huh! Huh-huh!

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

OK, finished my clock in a suitcase.

http://www.englishdecorations.com/_site ... 311_m1.jpg

Analog too. Way harder than that digital crap. Where's my ticket to the WH? When do I get my scholarship to MIT?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The CIA is an official sponsor of Robot Basketball tournaments for secondary-school teams, including a national championship.

If Ahmed keeps inventing, he'll get scouted & may someday build drones for the Pentagon. Under Obama's policy of counting all "military-aged" males in certain geographic areas as automatic "enemy combatants" (rather than civilians), Ahmed might get to police the world, & conflate innocents & hoaxers & real-threat bombers, too! What a country. Land of opportunity.

What happens to the kid's image if he compares US drone strikes to his own arrest? Not now. But... when he gets to college & SJW groups start flocking around him...

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Here is my digital clock in a suitcase.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/ ... 0940b5.jpg

Notice I've improved on Ahmed's by supplying some large capacitors to smooth out the dc ripple on the power supply. Which you can't see because I don't want to ruin my screwdriver.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

If my kids had ruined my alarm clock and risked electrocution building that thing, I would have issued them a savage beating class 1. This incudes my youngest, who, at 9, recognized that Ahmed had just stuffed a alarm clock in a pencil case. Ahmed's parents should issue him a savage beating and then buy him Snap Circuitshttp://www.amazon.com/Circuits-Extreme-SC-750- ... p+circuits and let him learn before he kills himself and sets things on fire.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Fucked up the link. And I don't really condone beating children. But fuck, 14 is old enough to know better. My eldest is 14 and knows that modding things/repackaging is not inventing, one should not fuck around with things that can run on house current and never bring such devices to school.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Badger3k wrote: What battery power? Why is there a regular electric cord and plug then? Is that not part of it?
That clock had a battery backup in case of power outages. The lad failed to remove the cord, thus giving someone who plugged it in the possibility of a shocking surprise.
Ahh - thanks, didn't know that.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

In other news, I want to help fight Rape Culture. I was was thinking, "Why Don't We Teach Men Not To Rape?"
So I made a big sign to carry around the nearest university campus tomorrow:

WOMEN
CAN'T BE
RAPED!
I wonder if El Mofo is an Amy Schumer fan?
http://thoughtcatalog.com/anonymous/201 ... ape-a-guy/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Here's what's funny about the Clock-Kid affair: Everybody is like "he's a genius!", "those officials were racists!" etc...

But what it really looks like is all those fawning about Ahmed actually think: "sure, it's a crappy repackaging of an old clock, nothing special or even remotely advanced about it. But come on, he's a Muslim kid! I mean, this is a fucking great achievement for a Muslim kid, you know? Towel-heads are usually only barely good at camel mechanics, so if this little sand-nigger can repackage a clock like he did, he's, like, the Einstein of the Muslim world!".

Obviously, that's not exactly what's being said or thought, but I suspect there's a lot of benevolent racism in the support Ahmed received.

And here's something about the Texas law on "hoax bombs". From the wording of the law, I think Ahmed's case doesn't qualify.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150 ... rges.shtml

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:The way I see it... any 14 year old kid worth his salt... =should= want to legitimately blow up his school. Not =do= it, but wanna.

Or else, if you like school pretty-well, you should still think it's transgressive & hilarious to joke about wanting to blow the school up.
Sooner or later every 14 year old secretly wishes that their school would blow up after a while. Possibly without any casualties. Well, if that bastard sadist of a P.E. teacher or Stacey who laughed when I asked her out last month or Josh, the jock asshole who I saw canoodling with Stacey three days ago will die, I'm not losing any sleep (I'm channeling PZ Myers here).

Anyway....my two cents on the Ahmed situation is that he's pretty clever for a teen and since he was treated like a criminal by overzealous, easily scared teachers and police officers he deserves some praise to make up for what happened to him. And from what I've read there is at least some evidence of racism in the handling of his case.

Although there's even more evidence of fear and stupidity in the school system and the law enforcement system.

Like in this case, where a 17 year old teen was prosecuted for having naked pics of himself, law enforcement is many times pig-headed and overzealous.

I don't think it's an American problem. It's more of a general common sense problem.

"Zero tolerance" policies and "tough on crime" politicians are a source of endless issues. They're popular because of the nature of modern media. Whenever a serious crime happens, the media report endlessly about any details because "yellow journalism" sells. People are whipped into a frenzy about "the degradation of modern society" (even when crime rates are going down). And savvy, ruthless politicians exploit fear and outrage to run campaigns based on toughening the laws, even when those laws actually do more harm than good. It's all for show, anyway, since when other, less spectacular crimes happen no one gives a shit.

It's hard to lay the blame entirely on a specific subset of society. People in the media want to make a profit. Politicians want to get elected. Law enforcement people want to have a larger budget and more benefits. And the public at large wants to feel safe and also want to be morally satisfied by living within a just world.

No one of those aims is bad, per se. They simply collide to create the perfect storm which leads to moral panics, hysteria and overly emotional decisions.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tribble wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
Yeah, I have a confession to make. I objectify Shoe0nHead every time she makes a new video. James Caruthers asserted that lots of people at the pit have a massive boner for Jacklyn Glenn, but if I had my pick, it wouldn't even be close.
Me too. Of all the YouTube girls I've seen, she is #1 in my book. She's smart. She's funny. She seems to be, mostly, down-to-earth. She's good looking. She's sexier than to beat all.
You are objectively wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/user/suvarenee

James Caruthers

I was going to catch up on the pit, but then I remembered you're all shitposters.

And I am the biggest one.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/s4s/image ... 404788.png

SM12

Post by SM12 »

An alarm clock.

Gosh, I bet some 14 year old Muslim kids in ISIS are doing really advanced things in chemistry.

James Caruthers

The Pit is done. What's to talk about? FTB, Skepchick and A+ are over. A+ more than the others. Their time has passed, as it goes with all internet fads.

SJWism was never more than a fad, and so it passes. Starting first with the periphery like FTB and Skepchick, who were affiliated with atheist bollocks and so even more obscure than normal SJW feminism. The internet moves on and forgets, and you'll look back on the time you spent and think "damn, what a pointless exercise."

SJWism isn't done, but it never will be. The fight between liberals and shitlibs is eternal. Just as the fight between reasonable conservatives and moralizing religious wankers will never die, at least in America.

The best you can hope for is the same as the religious authoritarians, that maybe they'll eventually all die and then we can move on. But most SJWs are young and so will outlive you. Enjoy the peace of the grave, secure in the knowledge SJWs are out ruling the planet in your stead. 8-)

I'm no better than the worst of you, however. Indeed, I am much worse, for I am Pitler and I gassed 6000 shitposts. I wasted a lot of my late teens in online communities talking about other stupid fads like SJWism. But they passed, as this one is doing, and now nobody cares about them. Some of the most famous of the personalities we obsessed over (as the pit obsesses over PZ) were able to turn their internet persona into a career. The rest all floundered as the fad passed and were left with diminishing e-begging returns, forced back into real jobs with the real world.

10 years from now Anita will be flipping burgers at a truck stop or working in EA's marketing department. Nobody will care about her except for the few hanger-on leeches like Sargon desperately trying to feed their wallets off the outrage market. Feminism will still be around, but it'll be exactly like creationism is right fucking now: Nobody Will Care. 8-)

That's assuming any of us are left alive 10 years from now, after 2 terms of a Donald Trump presidency.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

James Caruthers wrote:You are objectively wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/user/suvarenee
I'll see your red-headed harridan and raise you this toned-to-perfection goddess:

[youtube]57C5tHqlE4w[/youtube]

Oh, and how about that accent!

Frothing in 3...2...1...

Dan

Post by Dan »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Ahmed has proven he can use a screwdriver.

These kids, a little more:

http://wpmedia.blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03/1p4.jpg

That someone who screwdrivered a clock out of it's case and screwdrivered it into a suitcase (????? WTF????) might be going to the WH and those kids are not says it all. And there are shitloads more kids like that. But the screwdriver kid get called a genius and someone MIT wants. Doesn't MIT have anyone who can use a screwdriver?
I think they prefer to use hammers.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

uploadfromtaptalk1442822717996.jpg
(214.97 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Am I doing this right?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Nobody want to weigh in on #piggate?

Well, color me surprised!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Proposal #3 for wimmens on our moneees:

http://imgur.com/AKdYcYF.jpg

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

welch wrote:
This seems like a rather nonsensical thing to notice...no "seems" about it, it is nonsensical...but I have to say it anyway...have none of these people heard of shampoo?
I can't speak for the others, but I heard the reason Katherine Cross couldn't wash her hair was because she was busy glorifying paedophiles that night.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Ape+lust wrote:Proposal #3 for wimmens on our moneees:

Truly, it's the fine detail that makes your shoops godlike!

:lol: :dance:

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Bhurzum wrote:Nobody want to weigh in on #piggate?

Well, color me surprised!
Most notable, I feel, for the sudden acceptance of the Daily Mail by people who would normally claim that it wasn't fit for toilet paper.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Cunt of Personality wrote:Most notable, I feel, for the sudden acceptance of the Daily Mail by people who would normally claim that it wasn't fit for toilet paper.
I'd sooner get my news from "Viz" comic.

Still, it's fertile ground for lulz...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Bhurzum wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Proposal #3 for wimmens on our moneees:

Truly, it's the fine detail that makes your shoops godlike!

:lol: :dance:
Thank you, Bhurzum! :D

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Bhurzum wrote:
Cunt of Personality wrote:Most notable, I feel, for the sudden acceptance of the Daily Mail by people who would normally claim that it wasn't fit for toilet paper.
I'd sooner get my news from "Viz" comic.

Still, it's fertile ground for lulz...
http://i.imgur.com/Pjr86UG.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

NoelPlum takes a small dig at Richard Carrier :D
NoelPlum99 wrote:You can take your copy of Skyrim and you can mod it to high heaven, and you can get a mod that will give you a virtual bathhouse that is populated with digital facsimiles of naked ladies. But I don't think in any way that suggests that you think that you are entitled to such things, unless you are Richard Gere or perhaps, Richard Carrier in real life.
@13:05

[youtube]XAnPMD-e5y0[/youtube]

The more Carrier casts criticism of his jackassery as prudery, the wider his leisure suit renown spreads. Whatta dink.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Has anyone been following the recent trial in the UK involving the woman who supposedly disguised herself as a man in order to sleep with her female friend?
The victim told the jury how she met "Kye" online in 2011, and the pair struck up a friendship.

Kye initially told her he was not well enough to see her due to being treated for car accident injuries and a brain tumour.

But the pair spoke frequently on the phone, the court heard, and eventually arranged to meet for sex at a hotel on the condition the woman wore a blindfold - because Kye was embarrassed by his scars.

They went on to spend more than 100 hours in each other's company in hotels and the victim's flat, with the assaults taking place between February and June 2013.

The deception was finally uncovered during their final sexual encounter, when the victim removed the blindfold and saw Newland instead of Kye.
Apparently the accused was found guilty last week.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-34258993

This case was interesting to me for a couple of reasons.
First, I found it difficult to believe that the accuser was not - as was claimed by the defendent - involved in a kind of role playing game.
She met 'Kye' on numerous occasions and had sex with 'him' several times, and we are supposed to believer that she had no idea that it was not a women with a strap-on?
The accused does not exactly look butch - it is hard to imagine that there is not at least reasonable doubt about the accusation.

Second, why sexual assault?
Why not rape? If we are to accept the court and juries decision that she is guilty of having non consenting penetrative sex with the accuser then why is that not called rape.
Would it be called rape if a man had used a strap-on in a non consensual encounter?

Apparently it would.
Here's how the UK law defines the difference between sexual assault and rape:
Sexual Assault

It is an offence, as outlined in section 3 of the Sexual offences act 2003 for a male or female to intentionally touch anyone else (male or female) sexually, without that person’s consent. Any form of sexual contact against the will of a person is regarded as sexual abuse. It is for this reason that when those who are accused of ‘more serious’ offences, such as rape, they also may be accused and convicted of one or more counts of sexual assault.

Sexual assault against the person could be inappropriate touching or anything through to a life-threatening attack, rape or any other penetration of the mouth, vagina or anus. Although this will mean that there would be other counts of differing types of offences against the perpetrator.
What is the maximum penalty for Sexual Assault?

When a person is found guilty of sexual assault, the maximum penalty could be a 10 year custodial prison sentence.
Crimes in the Sexual Offences Act 2003

Rape

Under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, it is illegal for a male to penetrate the vagina, anus or mouth of a male or female with his penis (oral penetration was previously not included in the definition before the 2003 amendment to the act).

What is the maximum penalty for Rape?

When found guilty of rape, the convicted party could be sent to prison to serve a jail term for a maximum of ‘life’.
In other words, rape can only be committed by a male.
No female can rape.

Which is interesting in the light of the trans debate.
Does this mean, for example, that a transwoman, who has penetrated someone (with their girl-cock) without that person's consent, can say, 'I am female, not male, therefore it was not rape'?

OK, a rather extreme and unlikely example, but there must be more common cases where women have sex with non-consenting men. Even if we ignore drunken passed out sex where the woman is still sober, there are plenty of cases of older women sleeping with underage boys in scenarios where if a man did the same thing it would certainly be seen as rape, or at least statutory rape.

It may be the case that the UK laws are different to those in other countries but the case I mentioned at the beginning of this comment made it curious for me - if she is guilty of a sexual crime then why isn't it called rape?

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Ahmed's clock looks great to me.

I have a small problem. I have to catch a plane this afternoon, and I don't want to miss it.

I will need to know what time it is, but Ahmed's clock is too big to use as a wristwatch.

Should I strap it to my waist instead?

I also need to alter it so it will countdown the time until my plane takes off.

Because I really don't want to miss that plane.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dawkins comes across in this exchange as somewhat paranoid and tetchy.
We have no idea about the kid's motives for bringing in this clock but I think it is safer to allow him the benefit of the doubt, which Dawkins fails to do here.
Dawkins is about one year younger than my father, who, I'm afraid is starting to go a bit senile.
There are battles to pick with SJWs but I don't think this is one he has any hope of achieving anything other than damaging his own reputation.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Anyway....my two cents on the Ahmed situation is that he's pretty clever for a teen
No, not really. "He's pretty clever for a member of a minority" is what you meant, right? Don't pretend. He is not any more clever or dumber than any other average teen, or at least it's not possible to assess with what we have to go with.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Why is Crosby wearing a jumper depicting the 911 attacks years before they happened? Is there something else he'd like to confess to ?

http://i.imgur.com/xffWygY.jpg

As for sex dolls, some people have already invented their own uncannily life like versions,
do you think they'll get arrested and then invited to the Whitehouse?

http://i.imgur.com/wjoEKvt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jZiBclw.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Anyway....my two cents on the Ahmed situation is that he's pretty clever for a teen
No, not really. "He's pretty clever for a member of a minority" is what you meant, right? Don't pretend. He is not any more clever or dumber than any other average teen, or at least it's not possible to assess with what we have to go with.
If he planned all this (getting arrested, publicity, invites to MIT, Google and the White House), he's a freakin' genius.

But I don't think he's a genius, just a nerdy teenager.

Charles MacGruder

Post by Charles MacGruder »

Charles MacGruder

Post by Charles MacGruder »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Dick Strawkins wrote:If he planned all this (getting arrested, publicity, invites to MIT, Google and the White House), he's a freakin' genius.

But I don't think he's a genius, just a nerdy teenager.
If he plotted the arrest for attention but was incapable of making a simple battery operated watch them he has a brilliant social imagination but zero technical competence.

He's the anti-Steers.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

How to make an Ahmed clock

This takes 21 seconds to watch. Allow extra time for your trip to the White House.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

SM12 wrote:How to make an Ahmed clock

This takes 21 seconds to watch. Allow extra time for your trip to the White House.
Yeah, but they skip the taking-it-out-of-the-original-case part.

It takes 20 minutes, if you use a screwdriver.

Or a couple seconds, using a hammer.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I like Ahmed better, the less he built a clock.

Maybe he's Sasha Baron Cohen's new comeback character?

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Service Dog wrote:

Yeah, but they skip the taking-it-out-of-the-original-case part.

It takes 20 minutes, if you use a screwdriver.

Or a couple seconds, using a hammer.
Yes, a hammer would have helped.

That is the way Japanese firms got success. Take an existing method and improve upon it.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I wasn't pretending anything. I'm sorry, you're not a mind reader. ;)

Most fourteen year olds I know wouldn't be able to disassemble and reassemble a clock. He's not a genius but he's above average.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Dawkins comes across in this exchange as somewhat paranoid and tetchy.
We have no idea about the kid's motives for bringing in this clock but I think it is safer to allow him the benefit of the doubt, which Dawkins fails to do here.
Dawkins is about one year younger than my father, who, I'm afraid is starting to go a bit senile.
There are battles to pick with SJWs but I don't think this is one he has any hope of achieving anything other than damaging his own reputation.
I agree with you here. It's one thing to speculate on nefarious possibilities in a some corner of the Internet. But when you have 1M+ followers, thinking out loud like this is a waste of time at best. There is zero upside. He needs to drop it. Oh and PZ has chimed in on Dawkins and again he comes up with some straw manning and false dichotomies to prove his point. Ugh.