Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by comhcinc »

ERV wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
piero wrote: I'm sorry that comhinc and John Greg are feeling so bad. I was depressed and suicidal a few years ago, and tried to go through it with booze. Didn't work. Actually, it made it far worse, because after the momentary relief came a worse crisis, and the only way out I could see was to drink even more.

Pills, on the other hand, worked fantastically well, and fast. So my advice is: stay away from booze as much as you can, and see a psychiatrist at once.

If you can't afford it, I'm sure many of us will gladly send some money your way.
First off many people have already given me a lot of money. I am with my kids and have a job today because people here gave me money.

Oddly enough I don't really feel bad. This all feels pretty normal to me. That's pretty scary huh?
The fact of the matter is, the economy is shit. Lots of folks are a breath away from being royally fucked, whether it's getting canned, getting sick, a partner upending our lives, it's scary that it's 'normal' for 2015 :(

Like I said, a few dozen brains are better than one-- nobody here better fucking suffer in silence.
No doubt. I found a good job. It's not great pay but it's a good work environment and I feel really lucky to have found it. I literally could not done any of that with out the good people here.

Once John post his paypal I am going to give him some money. Not a lot cause I can't afford it but I know even an extra five bucks can help when you have nothing.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Yeah John G -what everyone said. And - put up a paypal or some such thing.

Thanks for the PM - keep it in mind.

Best :)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote: While we are on this subject, back when I hung out on an old finance forum, we noted that one of the big huge differences between rich and really poor people who are always in debt, is the fact that the richer people will accumulate an emergency saving fund.

And this isn't a case of "duh, of course rich people can afford to have an emergency saving fund." Poorish people can do it too, that is part of how they become rich.

You budget. Start slipping $50 or what you can afford into your emergency fund. That way, when your car breaks down, or a health emergency pops up, you are not shit out of luck. Without that fund, people end up having to spend and waste more money of temporary or fast solutions, that are not necessarily the best long term solutions.
I have 2 dollars in my emergency fund.

Of course I just filled my car up on credit and so I am negative in the bank a couple of buck, but meh that's okay at the moment. :)

I get paid this week. I have a roof over my head; my children are with me and we are cooking a large pot of pinto beans.

Life is not great but it's pretty good.

Normally I always have a little bit set aside for those rainy days. Just with the move and everything those funds are gone.

Anyway back to John

John, paypal. Now.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:snip some good stuff

I've been thinking in the past that the slymepit needs some kind of source of funds generation, perhaps an online shop - (a pit shop?) in order to generate money that could be used in a good cause - and helping out one of the long term members of the slymepit family sounds like a good cause to me.
I don't mean a Cafe Press type thing - we saw with the Mykeru T-shirt debacle that this is a very inefficient way of doing anything other than generating profits for Cafe Press. Perhaps we should just provide higher resolution Jpegs for people to use as they want and allow them to donate to a paypal account as payment. It may be inefficient but probably not less efficient than the alternatives.
That way we generate a central fund that a pit treasury committee might use for special situations. (No, not parties - we're not FTB/Skepchicks here!)
I think that is an excellent thought. In addition, some of us may have skills that could produce material goods to be offered for auction. I've made some knives and swords that have sold pretty well. I'm sure there is a wealth of talent here.
That is a good idea. This should be done. I would rock slymepit tee shirts till the cows come home.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

What is a technical writer? I dunno what that is :) maybe you need to change cities? ATL has some 'technical writer' jobs available, and cost of living is relatively low for a large city!

Dolores Fuller

Post by Dolores Fuller »

To paraphrase deLurch, the top and only real priorities for me right now are money and work. And I've been looking for both for over ten months.

And I did not bring all this up earlier for two primary reasons:

1. Shame and embarrasment. And there's nothing easy about working through that.

2. I was certain, absolutely certain that something would turn up, either in tech writing, or some wage-slave job, or some other resource.

And again, thanks very much for the emotional support. It means a great deal to me. Cheers all. :oops: :clap:[/quote]

John, I know you are need of food and shelter and advice from an unmet friend may sound cheap and insignificant, but here goes anyway. I have found the stoic philosophy of Ancient Greece & Rome immensely helpful in my life when it has become hard to bear. From the slave Epictetus' Discourses to the emperor Hadrian's Meditation I have read all the major writers, & recommend Seneca's Letters From a Stoic as a good starting point. Irvine's A Guide to the Good Life is a good, modern, practical synthesis also. I am suffering from a disk problem in my neck at present and the stoic meditations work much better than any meds

Anyway, you live in one of world's great countries, and should you be forced to work in a Walmart job & live in a cheap apartment, remember that it still beats living in most parts of this planet. And if your family can't help at least the misfits and weirdos in the Pit will do what we can for one of our own. Your suffering is our suffering

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

comhcinc wrote:
deLurch wrote: While we are on this subject, back when I hung out on an old finance forum, we noted that one of the big huge differences between rich and really poor people who are always in debt, is the fact that the richer people will accumulate an emergency saving fund.

And this isn't a case of "duh, of course rich people can afford to have an emergency saving fund." Poorish people can do it too, that is part of how they become rich.

You budget. Start slipping $50 or what you can afford into your emergency fund. That way, when your car breaks down, or a health emergency pops up, you are not shit out of luck. Without that fund, people end up having to spend and waste more money of temporary or fast solutions, that are not necessarily the best long term solutions.
I have 2 dollars in my emergency fund.

Of course I just filled my car up on credit and so I am negative in the bank a couple of buck, but meh that's okay at the moment. :)

I get paid this week. I have a roof over my head; my children are with me and we are cooking a large pot of pinto beans.

Life is not great but it's pretty good.

Normally I always have a little bit set aside for those rainy days. Just with the move and everything those funds are gone.

Anyway back to John

John, paypal. Now.
BWAHAHAHA I just made a big pot of black beans! Kroger, $1.50 minus .50 digital coupon! Holla!

My emergency fund got us through the past few months, you're right, deLurch :)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John Greg wrote:
2. I was certain, absolutely certain that something would turn up, either in tech writing, or some wage-slave job, or some other resource.

And again, thanks very much for the emotional support. It means a great deal to me. Cheers all. :oops: :clap:

We need a tech writer at my job. We hiring college students to do the job as unpaid interns.

We need people that can rewrite Chinese to English manuals for the products we sale into something that makes sense.

If you won't take some help from your friends here (and you so fucking should) what if pay you a little cheddar to do this? I am willing to come out of my own pocket what I can and I am sure others here would chip in too. That way it wouldn't be charity. It would be underpaying you for an easy job that you are overqualified for while at the same time endearing myself to my boss.

So you know basically screwing you over and taking advantage of your situation to make myself look better. See Delurch? I am well on my way to be ultra wealthy!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

John Greg - Thanks for sharing information about the hard times you are experiencing. Yah, many of us know you just from posting here & in other locations, but, as you saw, many are willing to help you. There is hope.

Please share a paypal email or, if you'd prefer, set up some sort of fundraiser. If you don't want to set one up, I'm sure someone else would. Stay strong.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Maybe you haven't followed all of the rather convoluted if not tiresome argument on the topic, particularly between Kirbmarc and me, but his argument is essentially that a white person calling a black person a nigger is essentially calling every black person a nigger - which is thereby racist. And my analogy is the same argument relative to "cunt": a man calling one woman a cunt is essentially calling every woman a cunt - which is thereby sexist.
This isn't my argument and you know it well, because I have spelled it out several times.

<snip>

I get that you disagree with my argument, but the least you can do, if you want to be intellectually honest, is to represent it accurately.
My somewhat longer response to you in the "Nigger-Cunt Hypothesis" thread ....

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ERV wrote: 3-- John Greg, some of the most clever people I have interacted with are here on the pit. Give us some time to help you figure out a real solution, or at least a viable short-term fix to give us more time, before you think you have to kill yourself. I wish you had said something sooner. I am an expert at being poor! I'm not sure any of my budget tips would help you now, but they would have 10 months ago. *frustratedface* *sigh* *frustratedface*

IF ANY OF YOU CUNTS RUNS INTO LIFES PROBLEMS AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOURE LOSING THE BATTLE, FUCKING SAY SOMETHING. I DONT PROMISE SHIT, BUT A FEW DOZEN PEOPLE PROBLEM SOLVING IS A FUCKOFALOT BETTER THAN ONE. GODDAMMIT.

LET US HELP YOU.

SO SPEAKETH THE ERV.
Yep. Let us buy you some time, JG. Lots of people want to help.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Black dude interviewer finds-out the uncomfortable way... that he shouldn't parrot feminist arguments like 'false rape accusations are infinitessimal' and 'no one would believe a woman making an accusation'...

...when Cosby's lady-lawyer responds by suggesting SHE might make accusations about HIS behavior in the Green Room; 10, 15, or 40 years from now.

[youtube]fP6sBEmAgIE[/youtube]

#TransWhite-Knight

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

How about we commission John Greg to write a book on the hateful and harmful rhetoric of PZ Myers? It could be like the Happy Atheist, except it would be a compliation of all the petty, hateful shit Myers has said over the years.

We could self-publish, sell it on Amazon, and have 100 free copies handed out on campus in Morris.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

comhcinc, that's a fine offer, but I can't speak or read Chinese at all.

Lsuoma, ERV, everybody, I am quite moved by all the offers of financial and other help. I am pondering the PayPal or some other financial arrangement thingy.

It is terribly embarrassing and shaming for me to be going through this, so I am going to have some trouble making up my mind about accepting financial help from people who I've never even met.

Family is one thing (and what a huge fucking surprise it was to have mine let me down), but you folks are something else again, and I feel deeply that I should not be asking for help.

But I am certainly thinking it through.

Thanks, all of you, very much.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Steersman wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Sye Ten is a strange one. At first I thought he was schism-neutral and took no position on feminism vs nonfeminism because he was all about teh lulz and atheist lulz at that. His Jaclyn Glenn video is brutal. And hilarious. And completely sums up my own thoughts on her content.

But with the Steve Shives video and this one, I'm starting to wonder if he's on the Slymepit side of the schism. Maybe he's a secret pitter.
<snip>
What irritates me hugely when I, infrequently, move into their spaces, is their 'everyone who isn't singing exactly the same song as me must be a slymepitter'. wmdkitty lumping Sanderson in with us (although I'll admit I like his work' and the fucking monstrous racist troll on the recent Patheos comment section being cases in point. ....
Anyone we know? ....
nope, Ciaran something or other. Started posting Bix Nood and other white supremacist shit. A real piece of work. So revolting I assumed it was a false flag either from the xtians or a more pernicious SJW, but tbh I doubt many SJW's could bring themselves to post some of that crap.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

"Because breastfeeding is time-consuming, often painful, sex-specific work, it makes an obvious observation even more glaring: Customary domestic responsibilities can be readily performed by either gender. And yet in most households with children, the male partner picking up a task here and there is still not enough of a contribution to create greater gender equity. "

Breastfeeding is sex specific work she says? Uh-oh. That's problematic :p
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2 ... eding.html

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

"Because breastfeeding is time-consuming, often painful, sex-specific work, it makes an obvious observation even more glaring: Customary domestic responsibilities can be readily performed by either gender. And yet in most households with children, the male partner picking up a task here and there is still not enough of a contribution to create greater gender equity. "

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:John, if charity bothers you and you also want to keep your chops fresh, I'd pay to see rewrites of Zvan, Skepchick etc. PZ is the only one of those crowd that can put a paragraph together without giving me eye cancer.
This.
You have an eloquence and articulacy that I would pay to read. Do you have a blog? If not why not? If you do, monetise it and we can make you sing for your supper, it's a song we want to keep hearing. The same with your music, how about a youtube channel (you don't have to show your face)
Have you spoken to Welch at all, your careers seem to overlap somewhat.
I'm just brainstorming take these uninformed suggestions as you will.

CuntajusRationality

ERV wrote:What is a technical writer? I dunno what that is :) maybe you need to change cities? ATL has some 'technical writer' jobs available, and cost of living is relatively low for a large city!
It's generally someone who writes and edits technical documents. Think the people who create user's manuals, product instructions, application guides, etc. Sometimes they get involved writing business documents like proposals, project plans, etc.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dolores Fuller wrote:John, I know you are need of food and shelter and advice from an unmet friend may sound cheap and insignificant, but here goes anyway. I have found the stoic philosophy of Ancient Greece & Rome immensely helpful in my life when it has become hard to bear. From the slave Epictetus' Discourses to the emperor Hadrian's Meditation I have read all the major writers, & recommend Seneca's Letters From a Stoic as a good starting point. Irvine's A Guide to the Good Life is a good, modern, practical synthesis also. I am suffering from a disk problem in my neck at present and the stoic meditations work much better than any meds
Probably some of the better advice here. When you are in a bad frame of mind, sometimes a well written book can be enough to get the juices flowing again, and help adjust your frame of mind.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John Greg wrote:comhcinc, that's a fine offer, but I can't speak or read Chinese at all.
I don't need you to read chinese. I need you to read shitty english and have it make sense. Like take something like this: http://www.spytecinc.com/downloads/file ... Manual.pdf

And make it make sense.
John Greg wrote:Family is one thing (and what a huge fucking surprise it was to have mine let me down), but you folks are something else again, and I feel deeply that I should not be asking for help.

You douche we are your family.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

James Caruthers wrote:
ERV wrote: The fact of the matter is, the economy is shit. Lots of folks are a breath away from being royally fucked, whether it's getting canned, getting sick, a parter upending our lives, it's scary that it's 'normal' for 2015 :(

Like I said, a few dozen brains are better than one-- nobody here better fucking suffer in silence.
This. I keep looking around. People say "oh, the economy getting a bit better" but I don't see it. Markets go up or down but the unemployment is still bad and underemployment is a lot worse.

Shit is hard everywhere and we're all a step away from poverty and being on the streets. The only people making money are the CEOs and people gaming the economy for max profits. Basically the message in the USA from the rich to the rest is "fuck everyone who isn't me."

So you're competing not only against desperate people in your area, but against people in Taiwan, India and the various islands. A friend had his entire job eliminated (a hundred+ people fired) so the company could move the work overseas. The overseas workers did an undeniably shittier job (they were testing them out prior to doing this) but nobody higher up gave a shit because $$$. It was quite literally a job where lives were on the line (translators for EMTs mostly) but whatever. My friend was lucky to find a job working for his girlfriend's dad. Otherwise he'd probably be unemployed now.
I think that it is recognised that the the relationship between the markets, the economy and the people have split. I think the only thing that has stopped another revolution in Western Countries is the right has convinced enough people that giving the rich more subsidies will make everything okay.

On the left it is easy to make fun of the rank and file tea-party. But I see these people with real fear and issues but unfortunately have been sold bad solutions.

Not that the left hasn't been led up the garden path as well.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
ERV wrote:What is a technical writer? I dunno what that is :) maybe you need to change cities? ATL has some 'technical writer' jobs available, and cost of living is relatively low for a large city!
It's generally someone who writes and edits technical documents. Think the people who create user's manuals, product instructions, application guides, etc. Sometimes they get involved writing business documents like proposals, project plans, etc.

It's an english major for people that don't want to be english majors. They are incredibly important and underappreciated.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

jimthepleb, I tried to run a blog several years ago, but I just couldn't stick with it; I couldn't find enough things that I was interested enough in, or authoritative enough about, to fill the blog.

I no longer make music at all. During my being homeless '05-'06, I made a lot of music, but then after a while my couch host let it be known, rather forcefully, that he wanted me to stop making music using his recording gear and instruments -- he was actually jealous/envious of me for using his equipment more and better than he did. So, I guess I kind of lost heart. After my mother died in 2009, and her estate was finally settled, I had a good chunk of cash to finally properly recover fully from my year of living homelessly, and one of the first things I did was buy a gorgeous Gibson Hummingbird acoustic. But, as I say, I seemed to have lost heart. After noticing at one point that I hadn't even taken the guitar out of its case for two or three months, I just sold it. Hmm, I wish I had it now to either busk, well no not with that guitar, maybe to sell and buy suitable busking gear. But, I don't know. It's rather difficult to make music people want to listen to when your heart isn't in it, and I don't know if the current crisis would reheart me or not. Hard to say.

Yes, as a matter of fact Welch and I did have a brief palaver about tech writing a few years ago during one of my unemployed phases, but when he discovered I was up in Canada, and worked mostly online, that was the last I heard from him about it -- he's American.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

John Greg.

Stop brother, it can and will turn around, that isn't some platitude, pain in all it's forms is temporary, there are more beautiful moments in your life to come, but you have to stay around for them to come! It might not seem like it, and it's hard to conceive when your in the shit up to your neck, but know you're not alone, people go through the darkness you're in, and they do find a better place.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Old_ones wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Old_ones wrote: Nope. He's claimed to have a Ph.D. in chemistry consistently since I've been aware of him. He never says where he got it.

Incidentally, I have some theories about that...

[.img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... U_Crop.jpg[/img]
Does anyone have a link to Nerd's post? Because I'm really, really tempted to reply "evidence or FLOOSH".
Its below, in a pharyngula thread from June about Milo Yiannopoulos.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Apparently the discussion on this thread got restarted by someone. Fucker was pretty difficult to find.
Kirbmarc: please do, and get a screenshot!!!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Cuntajus said:
Precisely.

One of the more interesting and challenging documents I worked on was with a writing team of 9 to 15 folks, variable, working on a 30,000 page (that's right, thirty thousand pages!) Submarine Rescue Submarine maintenance manual for the US Navy. Even took a wee ride in the thing. Interesting stuff.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

John Greg wrote:comhcinc, that's a fine offer, but I can't speak or read Chinese at all.

Lsuoma, ERV, everybody, I am quite moved by all the offers of financial and other help. I am pondering the PayPal or some other financial arrangement thingy.

It is terribly embarrassing and shaming for me to be going through this, so I am going to have some trouble making up my mind about accepting financial help from people who I've never even met.

Family is one thing (and what a huge fucking surprise it was to have mine let me down), but you folks are something else again, and I feel deeply that I should not be asking for help.

You've met us all. Just not in person. I wouldn't know you from Adam in the street but after 20 minutes and a beer I would know you were 'my kind of man' no homo. Well unless you ask very nicely. I have worked for years with people I know less about than many of the regular pitters. We are an open forum so all sorts of issues and problems are laid on the carpet here and that exposes us to each others inner human far more than smalltalk down the pub.
/selfishmode Please John take our help, if not for yourself then for us. To lose you so needlessly because of your pride would hurt us, your friends, enormously. I worry for Com with his shitty marital situation, Service Dog for his up/down batty lifestyle and the FT for his bleeding arsehole. Just don't tell them I said so. I wouldn't want to embarass them. /selfishmode

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CuntajusRationality wrote:How about we commission John Greg to write a book on the hateful and harmful rhetoric of PZ Myers? It could be like the Happy Atheist, except it would be a compliation of all the petty, hateful shit Myers has said over the years.
We could self-publish, sell it on Amazon, and have 100 free copies handed out on campus in Morris.
Vanity press books are pricey and extremely low margin. Book downloads however seem to work out just fine.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

comhcinc, I've sent you a PM.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

justinvacula wrote:"Because breastfeeding is time-consuming, often painful, sex-specific work, it makes an obvious observation even more glaring: Customary domestic responsibilities can be readily performed by either gender. And yet in most households with children, the male partner picking up a task here and there is still not enough of a contribution to create greater gender equity. "

Editorialist wrote:My husband will never lactate. But he can load the dishwasher
I think that is how she got the baby in the first place.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Thanks, jimthepleb.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

John:
How much stuff do you have recorded? If it's more than 3 or 4 songs that will give you a basis to build a youtube channel from. I'm sure some of the more 'arty' types around here could make pertinent images to run alongside. Or if you have any funny songs then just use Ape, Jan and Gumby's shoops if they don't mind. I know ape wouldn't.
If you just want to talk...real talk not type ...pm me your number.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

JG: Fuck that! Dying because of embarrassment is for the 20-year-olds who won't go and let their doctor have a look at the lump on their left bollock. If you die just because it hurts your pride to accept our offers, I will come up to Canadia with Kent Hovind and have him capture your ghost in a jar, then stick it on Ophelia's mantelpiece so you can spend eternity staring at her ridiculous sad face sighing at the endless online harassment.

CuntajusRationality

deLurch wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:How about we commission John Greg to write a book on the hateful and harmful rhetoric of PZ Myers? It could be like the Happy Atheist, except it would be a compliation of all the petty, hateful shit Myers has said over the years.
Vanity press books are pricey and extremely low margin. Book downloads however seem to work out just fine.
I'm in, whatever mathod works best. Besides, I would look at it not as a way to make money, but mainly as an adventure in trolling.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

So John your music is called 'Up For Sale' but I can't pay for it.....?
Don't make me come over there and hug you, you muppet!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Also I believe we have another professional musician on the board who may be in a better position to give you advice on how to make it pay. I mean he's French so don't expect too much but..... :-p Non je ne regrette rien.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John Greg wrote:comhcinc, I've sent you a PM.

I have replied. I am about to be step out for awhile. Stay strong.

EyeNoU

Post by EyeNoU »

:dance:
Lsuoma wrote:
ERV wrote: 3-- John Greg, some of the most clever people I have interacted with are here on the pit. Give us some time to help you figure out a real solution, or at least a viable short-term fix to give us more time, before you think you have to kill yourself. I wish you had said something sooner. I am an expert at being poor! I'm not sure any of my budget tips would help you now, but they would have 10 months ago. *frustratedface* *sigh* *frustratedface*

IF ANY OF YOU CUNTS RUNS INTO LIFES PROBLEMS AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOURE LOSING THE BATTLE, FUCKING SAY SOMETHING. I DONT PROMISE SHIT, BUT A FEW DOZEN PEOPLE PROBLEM SOLVING IS A FUCKOFALOT BETTER THAN ONE. GODDAMMIT.

LET US HELP YOU.

SO SPEAKETH THE ERV.
Yep. Let us buy you some time, JG. Lots of people want to help.
Set something up. At least one lurker (me) would like to help.

piero

Post by piero »

That's a brilliant idea. An atheist style guide, by counterexample. Given the current epidemics of self-righteousness and feigned outrage, it should not be solely about PZ but include also, for instance, the Rolling Stone débacle, campus censorship, Ophelia's fall from grace and so on.

If John is willing to do it, I pledge to contribute to his upkeep monthly.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Rebecca Watson could undo years of Pit-work by donating her ebegging windfall to 'someone' really in need and not on her team. You know. Being a bigger person and all that. Plus it wouldn't cost her a cent.

What a fucking sucker-punch that would be. But she needs the "abuse" as career-fuel for her own small nasty job. A strategic win of this nature would undermine the day to day tactics of snark.

And yes. That little Indiegogo gold mine is still running despite having only produced lead for the last 6 days.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Brive1987 wrote:Rebecca Watson could undo years of Pit-work by donating her ebegging windfall to 'someone' really in need and not on her team. You know. Being a bigger person and all that. Plus it wouldn't cost her a cent.

What a fucking sucker-punch that would be. But she needs the "abuse" as career-fuel for her own small nasty job. A strategic win of this nature would undermine the day to day tactics of snark.

And yes. That little Indiegogo gold mine is still running despite having only produced lead for the last 6 days.
Oh Brive you are funny!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Forget about Watson, you guys. Gabriel needs halp.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness ... n-help-me/

piero

Post by piero »

Oh, and a reasoned critique of selected comments by Tony!, the High Priestess of Rubber-Ducky Fucktoys or whatever his/her/its nym is, etc.

feathers

Post by feathers »

We could call it... The Crappy Atheist, or How Not To Convey Your Disbelief / by John Greg.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jimthepleb wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Rebecca Watson could undo years of Pit-work by donating her ebegging windfall to 'someone' really in need and not on her team. You know. Being a bigger person and all that. Plus it wouldn't cost her a cent.

Oh Brive you are funny!
;)

It would happen in my bizarro world. We would all cry, hug and everyone would return to analysing the frame rates on patterson gimlin.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

d4m10n wrote:Forget about Watson, you guys. Gabriel needs halp.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness ... n-help-me/
Really Damion? Really? Do you read the pit before you post here?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

< $30 a month from FtB income. Ok. Noted.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Wise words from Cathy Young
Cathy Young wrote:Mytheos seems to reduce everything to two warring camps: the SJWs vs. anti-SJW culture warriors who are strategically positioned on the right. But the fact is that, as I mentioned in my piece, there are a lot of liberals, moderates, conservatives and even pro-freedom leftists (e.g. Freddie de Boer) who don't fall into either camp, and who are alienated by Breitbart-type tactics but sympathetic to many cultural libertarian goals. I know someone who strongly supports Black Lives Matter but is also passionately opposed to campus speech and sex codes and to cultural authoritarianism in general.
wrote:Does such criticism undercut Milo's reporting on GG and anti-GG? Nope. Most mainstream liberals couldn't possibly despise Breitbart more than they already do, and criticism from within GG won't affect their opinion one way or the other. I actually think GG has a better shot at persuading liberals to take the upcoming report on Butts seriously if you can say: Look, a lot of us are willing to criticize Breitbart when they do bad journalism. But this is good, well-sourced journalism that is relevant, so please take it seriously.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I'd be happy to send John Greg a C&D letter, if that would help push Rebecca Watson over the line.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Kirbmarc wrote:Wise words from Cathy Young
Cathy Young wrote:Mytheos seems to reduce everything to two warring camps: the SJWs vs. anti-SJW culture warriors who are strategically positioned on the right. But the fact is that, as I mentioned in my piece, there are a lot of liberals, moderates, conservatives and even pro-freedom leftists (e.g. Freddie de Boer) who don't fall into either camp, and who are alienated by Breitbart-type tactics but sympathetic to many cultural libertarian goals. I know someone who strongly supports Black Lives Matter but is also passionately opposed to campus speech and sex codes and to cultural authoritarianism in general.
wrote:Does such criticism undercut Milo's reporting on GG and anti-GG? Nope. Most mainstream liberals couldn't possibly despise Breitbart more than they already do, and criticism from within GG won't affect their opinion one way or the other. I actually think GG has a better shot at persuading liberals to take the upcoming report on Butts seriously if you can say: Look, a lot of us are willing to criticize Breitbart when they do bad journalism. But this is good, well-sourced journalism that is relevant, so please take it seriously.
The original piece she wrote was really really good. She's a fair woman who has been treated really badly by aGG.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Hi John, I don't post much but I wanted to say you make difference to my world.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

John,
Do set up a Paypal account and let us help out. I've had my share of the black dog and come very close to doing something permanent about it. Curiously, developing leukemia has taken away my desire to exit any earlier than necessary. I'm about your age, and last week I gave three month's notice and will cease work in late November as a result of several things, including the knowledge that I have used up a year of the 2-5 I was told I might get. That puts me in the peculiar position of not being able to afford to live too long (no pension as I'm self-employed, just savings). All the same, I'll be happy to work extra hard this next three months in order to contribute. The Pit is full of wonderful, funny, intelligent people with open minds and lots of common sense. You're one of them. We'd like to keep you around.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Bloody hell John, to my shame I hadn't listened to your music before. It's really good. Especially as a one man op (you could do with a bassist) Expect your 'listens' to rise a bit.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

JG: Fuck that! Dying because of embarrassment is for the 20-year-olds who won't go and let their doctor have a look at the lump on their left bollock. If you die just because it hurts your pride to accept our offers, I will come up to Canadia with Kent Hovind and have him capture your ghost in a jar, then stick it on Ophelia's mantelpiece so you can spend eternity staring at her ridiculous sad face sighing at the endless online harassment.
What CH20 said. Hang in there, John.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Bloody hell John, to my shame I hadn't listened to your music before. It's really good. Especially as a one man op (you could do with a bassist) Expect your 'listens' to rise a bit.

CuntajusRationality

What's the protocol here? Is someone supposed to set up a donation page to get the ball rolling? Or just wait for him to share an email for PayPal donations?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

We have no protocols. But if you want to get all proactive on our asses FT is prolly the one to contact as he'll have the best contact info to get balls rolling (in his mouth)

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

piero wrote:
That's a brilliant idea. An atheist style guide, by counterexample. Given the current epidemics of self-righteousness and feigned outrage, it should not be solely about PZ but include also, for instance, the Rolling Stone débacle, campus censorship, Ophelia's fall from grace and so on.

If John is willing to do it, I pledge to contribute to his upkeep monthly.
If Heina Dadabhoy can get 10k and not produce a book in over 3 years, this plan sounds like a golden opportunity. With Gamergate mobilising people to come out anti-SJW rubbish, there is a good sized audience out there if if it included a bit more general SJW rubbish.

Pity Parsehole laid Godfrey to rest, his 15k twitter followers could have been a good advertising venue, a bit of Pansexual Genderfluid Transblack outrage would have made it a sure hit.

A Go Fund Me or IndieGoGo page could bring in book money up front and give immediate relief providing the time to write.