Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Sulman

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Sulman »

Charles MacGruder wrote:Louise Mensch forgets the lessons that she knows well from her fine expose of the Tim Hunt affair: When you are shown to be deeply ignorant about something, back off so you can learn something, don't keep proselytizing about it (see TL)
The problem with LouberMensch is she has no self-restraint, and ignorance doesn't stop her, so whatever the topic she just compulsively barrels on no matter how ridiculous she starts to look. A good example of stopped-clock syndrome, IMO.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Umm, remember when RW monetised a "patreon" $3 vid because she claimed there was a podcast dedicated to dissecting her creations?

And that was funny 'cause there isn't? And it was even funnier because it seemed she was charging her patrons for this alleged impost?

Alas the difference between patreonising and monetising a vid appears not to be implicit in the terms. And the inaccurate implication has bugged her for literally months.

Well she's finally spent half a video correcting this horror and accusing the traitor patron of being a troll. A troll I tell you. But one whose use of their subscription she's happy to offset with Youtube pennies calling thismoutcome a "victory".

I guess all's well that ends well.

[youtube]CnH6gwtydZs[/youtube]
Is she not getting anywhere near enough sleep, or did she fall down the stairs?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Ape+lust wrote:Not even a "chin up" for her benefactor and wistful admirer? That's cold-blooded.
At 30ish views per video she won't even rake in an extra penny.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

News From The Poop Shoot (fedora-tip to Comrade K. Damassi for the name).

Nerd of Redhead finally shows up, his logic circuitry overwhelmed by hurt and confusion regarding PZ''s new Pharyngula+.
Nerd of Redhead on August 16, 2015 at 11:41 PM said:
Hello Tony and everybody. I hope I am welcome here, with PZ’s blog being so quiet these days and no thunderdome/mended drum it’s not the same there any more.

PZ suspending me didn’t help. I initially felt betrayed because he was the one who inspired me to fight evidenceless dissenters and trolls the way I do.
Obviously a pronouncement like that ought to be met with a "citations needed else your opinion can be - FLOOSH - dismissed" but I won't hold my breath on any of the regulars coming through.

Finally, can anyone make any sense at all of the following?
blf on August 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM said:
And I’ve only just now read (some of) Mr Shoop’s, I mean Tony’s, recent, ah, cat problems. I mean problems with caring for a cat. The mildly deranged penguin has stopped giggling about that silly Atlantis claim and is now assembling a cheese memorial. To a cat. Since she(Her Penguniness) is a bird, either the cat in question was a good flying student, or, extremely likely, she(the mildly deranged penguin) respects Mr Tony and is happy at his good deed whilst also being sad at his loss. So am I, and hence I will attempt to borrow the TARDIS key from the extremely annoyed mouse so we can make a delivery. However, as we must deal with a mouse, I anticipate problems. (If the cat is “Tom” that would help…) Therefore, despite use of a TARDIS (hopefully), delivery may be delayed. Actually, since we are (hoping) to use a TARDIS, make that “delivery will be unpredictable, except for being at the most inconvenient but precisely correct moment”. So I’ll try to ensure the cheese memorial isn’t too green and does not contain too many penguin bites whenever it arrives.
That bizarre ramble is punctuated as posted, so don't be blaming me for the lack of paragraphs. The first bit made sense as Tony QS had to put down his cat because he's been out of work and couldn't afford vet bills when it got sick (I feel bad for Shoop because that has to be a miserable and helpless feeling on top of the regular grief process, poor guy).

The rest of the blf post, though? I have no idea but it seems weirdly inappropriate for a condolence message.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I don't understand the sympathy for Elyse Anders. It's like feeling bad for Squeaky Fromme if Charlie had kicked her out of the family. She was as toxic as any Skepchick and I don't remember her apologizing to anyone. I love a redemption story as much as anyone but this isn't one.
Speaking of which; did EB Wachs ever apologize to Vacula?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Look at this transphobe. Seems to not like girl cock.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/15/your- ... errer&_r=1

That said, I am a tad bit wary about the quality of the job the journalist did. From the report, I am not sure if the reporter spoke with the transexual or just lifted the information from the police report. So for now it kind of feels like we only have one side of he story.

And even if it is as described, it only reflects on that individual.

I wonder if he happened to have been initially fooled, got hot and bothered up and until the moment they got back to her place and he saw the pickle surprise.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

Cnutella wrote: <...>
Finally, can anyone make any sense at all of the following?
blf on August 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM said:
And I’ve only just now read (some of) Mr Shoop’s, I mean Tony’s, recent, ah, cat problems. I mean problems with caring for a cat. The mildly deranged penguin has stopped giggling about that silly Atlantis claim and is now assembling a cheese memorial. To a cat. Since she(Her Penguniness) is a bird, either the cat in question was a good flying student, or, extremely likely, she(the mildly deranged penguin) respects Mr Tony and is happy at his good deed whilst also being sad at his loss. So am I, and hence I will attempt to borrow the TARDIS key from the extremely annoyed mouse so we can make a delivery. However, as we must deal with a mouse, I anticipate problems. (If the cat is “Tom” that would help…) Therefore, despite use of a TARDIS (hopefully), delivery may be delayed. Actually, since we are (hoping) to use a TARDIS, make that “delivery will be unpredictable, except for being at the most inconvenient but precisely correct moment”. So I’ll try to ensure the cheese memorial isn’t too green and does not contain too many penguin bites whenever it arrives.
That bizarre ramble is punctuated as posted, so don't be blaming me for the lack of paragraphs. The first bit made sense as Tony QS had to put down his cat because he's been out of work and couldn't afford vet bills when it got sick (I feel bad for Shoop because that has to be a miserable and helpless feeling on top of the regular grief process, poor guy).

The rest of the blf post, though? I have no idea but it seems weirdly inappropriate for a condolence message.
Huffing-A-Dangerous-Trend-For-Teens.jpg
(39.65 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't understand the sympathy for Elyse Anders. It's like feeling bad for Squeaky Fromme if Charlie had kicked her out of the family. She was as toxic as any Skepchick and I don't remember her apologizing to anyone. I love a redemption story as much as anyone but this isn't one.
It isn't so much sympathy, as it is knowledge that she is now finally receiving professional help and from the looks of things being forced to dry out her alcohol and extra curricular drug habits probably as a condition of bail.

Like her or not, I want to see her get the help she needs. And if not bringing her up here in any small way helps those professionals work with her to get her life back on track and focus on herself, I am all for it.

Mentally ill, drug abuser, alcoholic... none are excuses for her actions. People like that still need to be held accountable for what they do. With her not being in the court system, she is now being held more accountable than any minor chatter we can muster up here. Her lawyer, the prosecutor, the health professionals she is now seeing are pretty much all but mandated on her if she wants to have any hope of avoiding a couple of felonies.

So time to back off and let the people who can be really effective go to work.

Charles MacGruder

Post by Charles MacGruder »

Ed Brayton, "The Truth about Margaret Sanger and Eugenics"

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatche ... um=twitter
In 1946, Sanger wrote about the importance of giving “Negro” parents a choice in how many children they would have.

“The Negro race has reached a place in its history when every possible effort should be made to have every Negro child count as a valuable contribution to the future of America,” she wrote. “Negro parents, like all parents, must create the next generation from strength, not from weakness; from health, not from despair.”

Her attitude toward African-Americans can certainly be viewed as paternalistic, but there is no evidence she subscribed to the more racist ideas of the time or that she coerced black women into using birth control. In fact, for her time, as the Washington Post noted, “she would likely be considered to have advanced views on race relations.”

Sanger wanted everyone to have access to birth control so they can control their own reproduction, she did not favor forcing anyone to use it.
The middle two paragraphs are not his, but he calls them "the truth".

I'm not sure how good the scholarship on the wiki page is, but here is what her wikipedia page has to say:
She believed that it the duty of all able minded people to "assist the human race toward the elimination of the unfit.". Sanger was a proponent of negative eugenics, which aims to improve human hereditary traits through social intervention, and promoted the mandatory and "immediate sterilization" of those who were considered unfit to reproduce, as opposed to some more radical eugenicists who advocated euthanasia.[95][96] [97]
In “The Morality of Birth Control,” a 1921 speech, she divided society into three groups: the "educated and informed" class that regulated the size of their families, the "intelligent and responsible" who desired to control their families however did not have the means or the knowledge and the "irresponsible and reckless people" whose religious scruples "prevent their exercising control over their numbers.” Sanger concludes “there is no doubt in the minds of all thinking people that the procreation of this group should be stopped.”[98]
Sanger's eugenic policies included an exclusionary immigration policy, free access to birth control for the able-minded, and mandatory segregation and sterilization for the those deemed unfit to reproduce.[99][100] In her book The Pivot of Civilization, she advocated the use of coercion to prevent the unfit from reproducing. [101] She believed that the ongoing births of "feeble minded people" was a worldwide human emergency, and necessitated mandatory segregation of unfit peoples as well as imposed sterilization to prevent this "burden on the human race" [102][103]

Sanger's views contrasted with eugenicist William Robinson, who advocated euthanasia for the unfit, stating that "we [do not] believe that the community could or should send to the lethal chamber the defective progeny resulting from irresponsible and unintelligent breeding."[104]
Sanger also believed that the responsibility for birth control should remain in the hands of able-minded individual parents, rather than the state, and that self-determining motherhood was the only unshakable foundation for racial betterment.[105][106]
Sanger's view of Eugenics also proported restrictive immigration policies. In "A Plan for Peace", a 1932 essay, she proposed a congressional department to address population problems. She also recommended that immigration exclude those "whose condition is known to be detrimental to the stamina of the race," and that sterilization and segregation be applied to those with incurable, hereditary disabilities.[99][100][107]
Race[edit]
In one "What Every Girl Should Know" commentary, she references popular opinion about Aboriginal Australians: "It is said that the Aboriginal Australian, the lowest known species of the human family, just a step higher than the chimpanzee in brain development, has so little sexual control that police authority alone prevents him from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets".[82] Elsewhere she wrote that traditional sexual ethics "... have in the past revealed their woeful inability to prevent the sexual and racial chaos into which the world has today drifted."[106]
From 1939 to 1942 Sanger was an honorary delegate of the Birth Control Federation of America, which included a supervisory role—alongside Mary Lasker and Clarence Gamble—in the Negro Project, an effort to deliver birth control to poor black people.[108] Sanger wanted the Negro Project to include black ministers in leadership roles, but other supervisors did not. To emphasize the benefits of involving black community leaders, she wrote to Gamble "we do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." While New York University's Margaret Sanger Papers Project, argues that in writing that letter, "Sanger recognized that elements within the black community might mistakenly associate the Negro Project with racist sterilization campaigns in the Jim Crow South;"[109] Angela Davis uses the quote to support claims that Sanger intended to exterminate the black population.[110]

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

As far as Elyse goes, does any of this sound familiar?
For people with this disorder, small problems explode into catastrophes, friends become enemies, love turns to hate - often with breath-taking speed. Relationships crumble, jobs rarely last. And their families are along for the ride.
http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/loca ... y-disorder

It will be much better for her kids if she can get her shit together better than she's presently able to do so. HoneyBanders on his own wasn't likely to take any action that might upset the applecart (like pressuring her to start therapy or AlAnon).

If Elyse's (probable) BPD is comorbid with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, then they are probably fucked, whatever they do. Were that to be the case, HoneyBanders would do better as a man and father to get a divorce and sole custody. But he almost certainly won't, especially if he falls into the following category:
The trans-Borderline is an individual who engages the Borderline character, and is drawn only to the chaos of the disorder itself. Rather, than being directly affected, s/he is more apt to stay focused on "cleaning up" after the Borderline personality. This is something akin to the "caretaker/enabler" role found in alcoholic relationships. In both cases, this person is characteristically co-dependent, or set up to be co-dependent in that relationship. S/he acts as enabler, or agent, or both.
I think he does because during the skepchicks meltdown, a mutual friend of theirs sent him an email expressing concern for Elyse's mental wellbeing, and he shared it with Elyse. She then tweeted it triumphantly as evidence of said friend's duplicity and also of the bond she and Banders share. Message sent and received - anything you send to Banders is going straight to Elyse, even if will isolate her still further.

Well, that's one internet psychiatry explanation anyway. The alternative is that Elyse sent ebony tendrils of her psyche in through his mouth and eyes to sap the very essence of his soul, leaving him a shattered and hollow vessel. But surely, there's no evidence that such a thing happened?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I'm sad. Dick Carrier deleted my offer for a place to stay. He didn't even say anything. That's pretty damn rude.
You were lucky , even if he likes you, he usually withdraws at the last minute and messes up your schedule.
Excellent! :clap:

Phi logged out

Post by Phi logged out »

I switched from Chrome to Firefox due to some constant crashes, and even after having followed the procedure for lost password, nothing came in my mailbox.

Lsuoma, could you reset it and send me a new one at my registered mail address?

Thanks!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New from The Onion:

'We Meet Feminists Halfway By Airbrushing This Plus-Size Model'

http://i.imgur.com/cssSnqf.jpg

:clap:

Billie from Ockham

Cnutella wrote:If Elyse's (probable) BPD is comorbid with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, then they are probably fucked, whatever they do.
The co-morbidity of Narcissistic PD with Borderline PD is between 25% and 50%. Put another way, having BPD increases the odds of NPD by more than a factor of ten. However, separating the diagnoses can be difficult, as several symptoms overlap and these people are so fucking annoying that taking the time to provide a precise diagnosis is too painful to do.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

jimthepleb wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote: Amazing. Excellent work.

Whoever did that can you please pm me a quick hello
Don't do it.
PA will get loaded and spill your details blowing your cover.
Oh shit I've been infected with the Carriers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Parody Accountant

deLurch wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Not even a "chin up" for her benefactor and wistful admirer? That's cold-blooded.
At 30ish views per video she won't even rake in an extra penny.
30 views per video?! That's pathetic. Doesn't she have subscribers? I click random on youtube and some autistic kid lining up his thomas the tank engine toys has more views.

Parody Accountant

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't understand the sympathy for Elyse Anders. It's like feeling bad for Squeaky Fromme if Charlie had kicked her out of the family. She was as toxic as any Skepchick and I don't remember her apologizing to anyone. I love a redemption story as much as anyone but this isn't one.
Elyse will always be red-flag crazy woman. She was also part of the toxic crowd, and is indeed culpable.

I don't think anybody here is convinced she's turned around her views. It's just that none of us wish bad things to happen to mentally ill people, except Walter Ego.

She needs mental help. Maybe this court case will result in her getting some help. That would be good for her family's situation. Her kid deserves a mother with access to help like that.

I also hope she's alright so I can go back to poop jokes and mild shenanigans at her blog. She's kinda entertaining.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Here's a Vanity Fair article about Tinder and Hook-up culture.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/ ... al_twitter

It starts with the hack formula of introducing several Not Their Real Names who are supposed to represent typical dudes making unguarded remarks, as if to give the reader access to What Dudes Really Secretly Think About Women. (Awful awful stuff.)

Supposedly the guys, in 2015, all call their Tinder dates 'Tinderellas', which... no way. The whole article seems a few years late.

Also following formula, the article next extrapolates the Not Their Real Names assholes into a trend-- a whole generation of men condemned for awful awful attitudes emerging. Apparently they now see women as an "option" rather than a "priority".

Which-- to me, sounds like a thing which would be celebrated for young women.

Oh, I didn't mention, I was referred to this article by Hugo Schwyzer's twitter feed. Elyse's implosion and deLurch's well-wishing made me curious about how Hugo was doin.

Hugo's still the same insufferable piece of shit, but now every third tweet is him reminding you he's now celibate. So his poo-pooing about Those Other Bad Men still continues, and his holy celibacy is his moral authority to condemn them. It used to be his funky Richard Carrier sexuality & Pasadena City College professorship which made him better than everybody else.

Celibate Hugo says the Vanity Fair piece shows the bad effects of hook-up culture on awful awful young men's awful awful ways.

Next comes the section where the anecdotal Not Their Real Names and Extrapolated Entire Generation are put under the microscope of Feminist Academic Social Science Experts, who declare theses using their Important Voice.
It is the very abundance of options provided by online dating which may be making men less inclined to treat any particular woman as a “priority,” according to David Buss, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in the evolution of human sexuality. “Apps like Tinder and OkCupid give people the impression that there are thousands or millions of potential mates out there,” Buss says. “One dimension of this is the impact it has on men’s psychology. When there is a surplus of women, or a perceived surplus of women, the whole mating system tends to shift towards short-term dating. Marriages become unstable. Divorces increase. Men don’t have to commit, so they pursue a short-term mating strategy. Men are making that shift, and women are forced to go along with it in order to mate at all.”
“HIT IT AND QUIT IT”
‘The men in this town have a serious case of pussy affluenza,” says Amy Watanabe, 28, the fetching, tattooed owner of Sake Bar Satsko, a lively izakaya in New York’s East Village. “We’ve seen them come in with more than one Tinder date in one night.”
Look, I'm actually only-this far into the article. I just can't help myself from posting as-i-go, because it's just steaming with juicy nonsense:
“If he texts you before midnight he actually likes you as a person. If it’s after midnight, it’s just for your body,” says Amanda. It’s not, she says, that women don’t want to have sex. “Who doesn’t want to have sex? But it feels bad when they’re like, ‘See ya.’ ”

“It seems like the girls don’t have any control over the situation, and it should not be like that at all,” Fallon says.

“It’s a contest to see who cares less, and guys win a lot at caring less,” Amanda says.

“Sex should stem from emotional intimacy, and it’s the opposite with us right now, and I think it really is kind of destroying females’ self-images,” says Fallon.

“It’s body first, personality second,” says Stephanie.

“Honestly, I feel like the body doesn’t even matter to them as long as you’re willing,” says Reese. “It’s that bad.”

“But if you say any of this out loud, it’s like you’re weak, you’re not independent, you somehow missed the whole memo about third-wave feminism,” says Amanda.

comhcinc

Re: transgender men hounding Ophelia Benson

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote: My heart just isn't in Godfrey anymore.

I think Godfrey had a good run but I agree that it's time to retire him. You so go out big and erase his twitter and all of that.

Parody Accountant

Godfrey set the standard high as fuck man

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Elyse will always be red-flag crazy woman. She was also part of the toxic crowd, and is indeed culpable.

I don't think anybody here is convinced she's turned around her views. It's just that none of us wish bad things to happen to mentally ill people, except Walter Ego.

She needs mental help. Maybe this court case will result in her getting some help. That would be good for her family's situation. Her kid deserves a mother with access to help like that.

I also hope she's alright so I can go back to poop jokes and mild shenanigans at her blog. She's kinda entertaining.

She has great one liners. I also wouldn't kick her out of bed.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:Here's a Vanity Fair article about Tinder and Hook-up culture.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/ ... al_twitter

It starts with the hack formula of introducing several Not Their Real Names who are supposed to represent typical dudes making unguarded remarks, as if to give the reader access to What Dudes Really Secretly Think About Women. (Awful awful stuff.)

Supposedly the guys, in 2015, all call their Tinder dates 'Tinderellas', which... no way. The whole article seems a few years late.

Also following formula, the article next extrapolates the Not Their Real Names assholes into a trend-- a whole generation of men condemned for awful awful attitudes emerging. Apparently they now see women as an "option" rather than a "priority".

Which-- to me, sounds like a thing which would be celebrated for young women.

Oh, I didn't mention, I was referred to this article by Hugo Schwyzer's twitter feed. Elyse's implosion and deLurch's well-wishing made me curious about how Hugo was doin.

Hugo's still the same insufferable piece of shit, but now every third tweet is him reminding you he's now celibate. So his poo-pooing about Those Other Bad Men still continues, and his holy celibacy is his moral authority to condemn them. It used to be his funky Richard Carrier sexuality & Pasadena City College professorship which made him better than everybody else.

Celibate Hugo says the Vanity Fair piece shows the bad effects of hook-up culture on awful awful young men's awful awful ways.

Next comes the section where the anecdotal Not Their Real Names and Extrapolated Entire Generation are put under the microscope of Feminist Academic Social Science Experts, who declare theses using their Important Voice.
It is the very abundance of options provided by online dating which may be making men less inclined to treat any particular woman as a “priority,” according to David Buss, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in the evolution of human sexuality. “Apps like Tinder and OkCupid give people the impression that there are thousands or millions of potential mates out there,” Buss says. “One dimension of this is the impact it has on men’s psychology. When there is a surplus of women, or a perceived surplus of women, the whole mating system tends to shift towards short-term dating. Marriages become unstable. Divorces increase. Men don’t have to commit, so they pursue a short-term mating strategy. Men are making that shift, and women are forced to go along with it in order to mate at all.”
“HIT IT AND QUIT IT”
‘The men in this town have a serious case of pussy affluenza,” says Amy Watanabe, 28, the fetching, tattooed owner of Sake Bar Satsko, a lively izakaya in New York’s East Village. “We’ve seen them come in with more than one Tinder date in one night.”
Look, I'm actually only-this far into the article. I just can't help myself from posting as-i-go, because it's just steaming with juicy nonsense:
“If he texts you before midnight he actually likes you as a person. If it’s after midnight, it’s just for your body,” says Amanda. It’s not, she says, that women don’t want to have sex. “Who doesn’t want to have sex? But it feels bad when they’re like, ‘See ya.’ ”

“It seems like the girls don’t have any control over the situation, and it should not be like that at all,” Fallon says.

“It’s a contest to see who cares less, and guys win a lot at caring less,” Amanda says.

“Sex should stem from emotional intimacy, and it’s the opposite with us right now, and I think it really is kind of destroying females’ self-images,” says Fallon.

“It’s body first, personality second,” says Stephanie.

“Honestly, I feel like the body doesn’t even matter to them as long as you’re willing,” says Reese. “It’s that bad.”

“But if you say any of this out loud, it’s like you’re weak, you’re not independent, you somehow missed the whole memo about third-wave feminism,” says Amanda.
Diana Davidson also did a video on that that I found interesting.

[youtube]pSrvX42kRCE[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Cnutella wrote:
The trans-Borderline is an individual who engages the Borderline character, and is drawn only to the chaos of the disorder itself. Rather, than being directly affected, s/he is more apt to stay focused on "cleaning up" after the Borderline personality. This is something akin to the "caretaker/enabler" role found in alcoholic relationships. In both cases, this person is characteristically co-dependent, or set up to be co-dependent in that relationship. S/he acts as enabler, or agent, or both.
I think he does because during the skepchicks meltdown, a mutual friend of theirs sent him an email expressing concern for Elyse's mental wellbeing, and he shared it with Elyse. She then tweeted it triumphantly as evidence of said friend's duplicity and also of the bond she and Banders share. Message sent and received - anything you send to Banders is going straight to Elyse, even if will isolate her still further.

Well, that's one internet psychiatry explanation anyway. The alternative is that Elyse sent ebony tendrils of her psyche in through his mouth and eyes to sap the very essence of his soul, leaving him a shattered and hollow vessel. But surely, there's no evidence that such a thing happened?
So Honeybanders is trans? Huh. Guess it makes as much sense as anything else involving Elyse.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:Godfrey set the standard high as fuck man

Very high but if he hangs around too long it will start to get stale. Part of a great act is knowing when to end it.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

“I’ve gotten numbers on Tinder just by sending emojis,” says John. “Without actually having a conversation—having a conversation via emojis.”

He holds up his phone, with its cracked screen, to show a Tinder conversation between him and a young woman who provided her number after he offered a series of emojis, including the ones for pizza and beer.

“Now is that the kind of woman I potentially want to marry?” he asks, smiling. “Probably not.”
:animals-bunny: :animals-cow: :character-burgerking: :character-burgerking: :character-burgerking: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :royalty-pharaoh: :animals-worm:

Parody Accountant

comhcinc wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:

She has great one liners. I also wouldn't kick her out of bed.
Com your next girl will break your heart if you don't follow the rule about sticking your dick in crazy

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

A “fuckboy” is a young man who sleeps with women without any intention of having a relationship with them or perhaps even walking them to the door post-sex. He’s a womanizer, an especially callous one, as well as kind of a loser. The word has been around for at least a decade with different meanings; it’s only in about the last year that it has become so frequently used by women and girls to refer to their hookups.
Nope. A fuccboi is a streetwear fashion victim who dresses like this:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f1849296d740 ... o1_500.jpg

This writer's alternate-reality-trendspotting reminds me of am exposé on rap years ago, which claimed "bling" was a term for the sound of gunfire.

or the classic "Grunge Slang" hoax of '92:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_speak

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote: Com your next girl will break your heart if you don't follow the rule about sticking your dick in crazy
I followed that rule last time and I still got my heart broke.

I tend to handle crazy pretty good. It's sane and awesome I have issues with.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phi logged out wrote:I switched from Chrome to Firefox due to some constant crashes, and even after having followed the procedure for lost password, nothing came in my mailbox.

Lsuoma, could you reset it and send me a new one at my registered mail address?

Thanks!
Sent.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Cnutella wrote:If Elyse's (probable) BPD is comorbid with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, then they are probably fucked, whatever they do.
The co-morbidity of Narcissistic PD with Borderline PD is between 25% and 50%. Put another way, having BPD increases the odds of NPD by more than a factor of ten. However, separating the diagnoses can be difficult, as several symptoms overlap and these people are so fucking annoying that taking the time to provide a precise diagnosis is too painful to do.
True that, but BPD is treatable if the patient is willing to commit to it and about 50% of BPD patients spontaneously show improvement as they hit their 30s and 40s, which clearly isn't the case yet for Elyse (I'm curious as to what proportion of that age-improved group are comorbid with a disorder or disorders other than NPD, or are not comorbid at all). As I understand it, NPD is much, much harder to treat because few NPD patients are really willing to commit to change. When combined with the BPD identity crisis and ego splits, it appears to be really hard to effectively manage.

I often wondered what really bad BDP and NPD would look like, and then Hugo Schwyer claimed he'd been diagnosed with both on Twitter. That, I can believe.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Yeah, if Godfrey is going out, he deserves a Viking funeral in a long boat that's on fire, towed by a train of lions that are also on fire.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Service Dog wrote:
“I’ve gotten numbers on Tinder just by sending emojis,” says John. “Without actually having a conversation—having a conversation via emojis.”

He holds up his phone, with its cracked screen, to show a Tinder conversation between him and a young woman who provided her number after he offered a series of emojis, including the ones for pizza and beer.

“Now is that the kind of woman I potentially want to marry?” he asks, smiling. “Probably not.”
:animals-bunny: :animals-cow: :character-burgerking: :character-burgerking: :character-burgerking: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :royalty-pharaoh: :animals-worm:
Skewered pokemon, dancing cow, king, elvis, charles, promise, cleopatra, Godfrey's penis.
ISWYDT I think...

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

No one is anything.
:?: :character-koolaid: :obscene-hanged:

Charles MacGruder

Just to organise this a little better. Ed Brayton in his defense of Margaret Sanger says (first parag is NPR quote he calls truth):
"Her attitude toward African-Americans can certainly be viewed as paternalistic, but there is no evidence she subscribed to the more racist ideas of the time or that she coerced black women into using birth control. In fact, for her time, as the Washington Post noted, “she would likely be considered to have advanced views on race relations.” - See more at"

Sanger wanted everyone to have access to birth control so they can control their own reproduction, she did not favor forcing anyone to use it. And that’s the real question here. Controlling one’s reproduction, deciding when and how many children to have, is particularly important for marginalized groups in society. Rich women always have access to family planning, but poor women often do not.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... d-eugenics

Margaret Sangers quotes on how inferior people should be forcibly sterilized:
Society is divided into three groups. Those intelligent and wealthy members of the upper classes who have obtained knowledge of Birth Control and exercise it in regulating the size of their families. They have already benefited by this knowledge, and are today considered the most respectable and moral members of the community. They have only children when they desire, and all society points to them as types that should perpetuate their kind.

The second group is equally intelligent and responsible. They desire to control the size of their families, but are unable to obtain knowledge or to put such available knowledge into practice."

The third are those irresponsible and reckless ones having little regard for the consequence of their acts, or whose religious scruples prevent their exercising control over their numbers. Many of this group are diseased, feeble-minded, and are of the pauper element dependent entirely upon the normal and fit members of society for their support. There is no doubt in the minds of all thinking people that the procreation of this group should be stopped. For if they are not able to support and care for themselves, they should certainly not be allowed to bring offspring into this world for others to look after. We do not believe that filling the earth with misery, poverty and disease is moral. And it is our desire and intention to carry on our crusade until the perpetuation of such conditions has ceased.

We desire to stop at its source the disease, poverty and feeble-mindedness and insanity which exist today, for these lower the standards of civilization and make for race deterioration."
Feeble-minded persons, habitual congenital criminals, those afflicted with inheritable disease, and others found biologically unfit by authorities qualified judge should be sterilized or, in cases of doubt, should be so isolated as to prevent the perpetuation of their afflictions by breeding.
The lower down in the scale of human development we go the less sexual control we find. It is said that the aboriginal Australian, the lowest known species of the human family, just a step higher than the chimpanzee in brain development, has so little sexual control that police authority alone prevents him from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets.
]
(c) keep the doors of Immigration closed to the entrance of certain aliens whose condition is known to be detrimental to the stamina of the race, such as feeble-minded, idiots, morons, insane, syphilitic, epileptic, criminal, professional prostitutes, and others in this class barred by the immigration laws of 1924.
(d) apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization, and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is already tainted, or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.
(e) to insure the country against future burdens of maintenance for numerous offspring as may be born feeble-minded parents, the government would pension all persons with transmissible disease who voluntarily consent to sterilization.
(f) the whole dysgenic population would have its choice of segregation or sterilization.
(g) there would be farm lands and homesteads where these segregated persons would be taught to work under competent instructors for the period of their entire lives.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Thanks, FT.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks, FT.

Phil! I have missed you. How are thing?

feathers

Re: transgender men hounding Ophelia Benson

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: My heart just isn't in Godfrey anymore.

I think Godfrey had a good run but I agree that it's time to retire him. You so go out big and erase his twitter and all of that.
But how should a man like Godfrey turn off the light? Become a born-again Christian?

katamari Damassi

Good to see you back Phil. I assumed you were using your bionic hip to fight crime.

Dave

Post by Dave »

katamari Damassi wrote:Good to see you back Phil. I assumed you were using your bionic hip to fight crime.
That sort of thing can be dangerous:

http://www.businessinsider.com/maryland ... ash-2015-8

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Cnutella wrote:
Yeah, if Godfrey is going out, he deserves a Viking funeral in a long boat that's on fire, towed by a train of lions that are also on fire.
Or he convert to Christianity and chose the life a Luddite monk.

Billie from Ockham

Service Dog wrote:Nope. A fuccboi is a streetwear fashion victim who dresses like this:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f1849296d740 ... o1_500.jpg
It seems rather uncool of you to repost images from Melody Hensley's blog, denying her clicks, especially without attribution.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Ericb wrote:
Cnutella wrote:
Or he convert to Christianity and chose the life a Luddite monk.
Damn ninjas.

Billie from Ockham

My suggestion for Godfrey is that he announce that it's time for him to just shut up and listen, leaving the door open for a return if he's needed.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Billie from Ockham wrote:My suggestion for Godfrey is that he announce that it's time for him to just shut up and listen, leaving the door open for a return if he's needed.
Agreed.

You just never know when you might want to bring Godfrey back.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

We get a mention in this book that will come out at the end of the month:

http://www.amazon.com/Gendertrolling-Ho ... 1440833176

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kKN ... it&f=false

It's the usual shite about the pit being a part of the Manosphere.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Godfrey's gone!

And he never got a chance to see Star Wars..

Charles MacGruder

"Slymepit is interconnected with A Voice For Men", before pointing out an AVFM doxxing story.

Well Slymepit is no less interconnected with FTB (as in there's literally far more overlap with general liberalism/progressivism and more of us post on places like Ally Fogg's blog without trouble), and FTB love doxxing too.

But guess how the guilt by association fails? Slymepit does not doxx. They're literally guilt-associating us with bad behaviour that there's absolutely zero tolerance for here, but FTB and apparently the gobshites at AVFM do.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Suet Cardigan wrote:We get a mention in this book that will come out at the end of the month:

Shitty writing and shitty scholarship.

You can't just say "x was targeted" without documenting in detail the real problem. Bambi's mother was targeted, but Bambi's a lot sadder that his mom was shot in the chest by a hunter.

I just can't stand the watering down of all these fucking words.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Suet Cardigan wrote:We get a mention in this book that will come out at the end of the month:

Apparently we're associated with AVfM. Interesting. When did that happen? Also, she wants around $45 for it? Yeah, right.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Lsuoma wrote:

Apparently we're associated with AVfM. Interesting. When did that happen? Also, she wants around $45 for it? Yeah, right.
$45 is not a problem. Guess who will be buying the book: Libraries and women's studies students.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

So lazy:

Here's the full quote from "Gendertrolling: How misogyny Went Viral":
Watson, in her characteristic demeanor of downplaying events and experiences that would be extremely upsetting to most people, described her typical online experience before the elevator incident: ""As a woman who has opinions online, I get rape and death threats on a fairly regular basis, mixed in among the barrage of gendered slurs and comments about how fat I am." However, after she posted the video that included her comment about the elevator incident (which was thereafter dubbed Elevatorgate, Watson reported a dramatically increased multimedia barrage of harassment, the vast majority of which was rape threats along the lines of "I hope you get raped, you deserve to be raped...

...Trolls also posted on an online forum that started in the wake of Elevatorgate, slymepit.com, "thousands of comments threatening to rape me, doing Photoshops of me, calling me a cunt."...

...Although Watson believes most of her attackers were men, she was also attacked by a few women. Compared with her male attackers who tend to remain anonymous, Watson reports that the women who have participated in attacking her are more likely to use their actual names. Watson believes that, in using their real names, the women are able to gain a certain celebrity status and perhaps even cachet from the men behind the attacks. She also believes that most of her attackers are part of a loosely organized "men's rights movement" that has significant presence online among websites such as slymepit.com, PUAHate.com, avoiceformen.com, 4chan, and Reddit. (Mens rights activism and the relevant websites are discussed in more detail..."

...There are many website where men (and some women) post content espousing and contributing to ideologies that foster and motivate the coordinated attacks on women who speak out online. Some of these websites are A Voice For Men (avoiceformen.com); Slymepit (slymepit.com); the now-closed Pick-up Artist Hate site (PUAHate.com); 4chan (4chan.org); 8chan (8ch.net); and Reddit (reddit.com, especially the r/bboard/ at that site, although overall users on Reddit are 84 percent male)...

"...Watson was targeted by the Slymepit, which has also targeted Ophelia Benson, Melody Hensley, and Amy Davis Roth, all of whom have been vocal about their support for Watson. Davis Roth points out that the various men's rights sites have some overlap among the people who frequent them. She says, for example, "Slymepit is interconnected with A Voice for Men."...
I am curious to know who here is really affiliated with the men's rights movement, whatever that means?

I mean, I have read things on Return of the Kings and AVM, but I have also read things on skepchick. In terms of outlook, I'm closer to skepchick, but I consider most of the ideological posting on skepchick to be scarcely better than that is shared on an MRA site, even if I agree with the underlying principles.

Also, nice job smearing all the women who post on the slymepit. Really classy, particularly as I recall they claimed to not be using the whole "chill girl" appellation, which is really what Watson just described.

Oddly enough, no mention of trolling like the "You are worse than rapists" speech from Watson.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Brive1987 wrote:And once you are invested then it makes sense in a sick sort of way to get down to the real business of ingame purchases for your new lifestyle that comes without a finish line.
Did you see the recent South Park 'Freemium Isn't Free?'

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s ... -isnt-free

:hankey:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

I can think of a number of prolific posters here aside from myself who are not fans of A Voice for Men.

In the past, Dean Esmay has posted here, but I can't think of anyone else.

But whatever. It's all about narrative.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

TROLOLOLOL

Karla Mantilla, who interviewed Watson, is a TERF.

Skepchicks are in a TERF-authored book!

See page 2 of this document from a defunct radical feminist magazine that Karla Mantilla wrote for.

https://luceononuro1.files.wordpress.co ... ttacks.pdf

seems to that there has been a subtle, unacknowledged silencing of those
who favor Michigan's womyn-only policy vis a vis transsexuals. During the
Saturday evening dinner protest, there was an atmosphere of subdued quiet and
tension among most of the festival attendees. Although women talked privately
about their distress over the transsexual disruption of the festival, there was
little if any public vocal dissent against the demonstration. For some reason,
those who disagreed with the protestors seemed to feel reluctant to confront
the protestors.
This was perhaps justified, given my own experience the night before.
Upon leaving the stage at the end of the Friday night concert, festival attendees
encountered transgender activists with a banner proclaiming "Trans Inclusion
Now/' I decided to stage a minor counter protest by chanting "No boys at
Michigan" with some others in my group. I was immediately confronted by
one of the transgender activists who stepped in front of me, blocking my path,
yelling at me?her face only inches from mine?something about how dare I
exclude her, that she was a woman, etc. I certainly had not wanted personally
engage with her, just to let transgender activists and festie-goers know that
there was indeed an opposing view. I repeatedly requested in a calm voice that
she move out of my way, but she kept yelling at me. I tried to step to the side
to move past her, but she stepped in front of me again. There were a lot women
surrounding us so I could not pass by with her blocking my front. Finally, after
several very tense minutes, several other transgender activists pulled her away
from me and let me pass.
1 was surprised that merely voicing my opposing viewpoint would result in
such a personal confrontation. Perhaps the most ironic thing of all was a
woman afterwards who came up to me and told me that the incident was my
fault because if I had just not said anything, they would have left me alone. She
even said that although the transgender protestor's actions verged on violence
against me (by blocking my path and yelling in my face), I was just as violent
because speaking up in counter protest was also a violent act.
Perhaps the women at the Saturday evening dinner were wiser than I to not
publicly acknowledge their dissent with the protestors. There was a cost to
speaking up. The experience was upsetting and intimidating. I felt shaken,
upset, and angry, along with the others in my group. It certainly made me think
again before speaking out on this issue.
To the extent that we allow this tiny faction to silence dissent and dominate
the debate on this topic, we endanger the continuation of womyn-only space.
The convictions, needs, and vision of the thousands of women who support the
MW^MF as a womyn-only space with their dollars, their work, and their
presence should not be overridden and silenced by the a small group of people
who just don't get what womyn-only space is about.
by karla mantilla

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Watson is...a TERF! Burn her !

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

HARD EVIDENCE SHE'S FRATERNIZING WITH TERFS! THEY'RE HIDING IN THE OLD MILL!

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'd suggest anyone reviewing the book on Amazon mention that the charge of misogyny came from Freethought Bogs, home of two accused rapists, one admitted rapist, a plagiarist, a jizz fiend and a terf, and that they made exactly the same accusation against Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

James Caruthers wrote: But whatever. It's all about narrative.
True. And they have the public ear in a way that the pit never will (youtube maybe the exception, by proxy).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ah, so she's a terf herself. Drop a few choice words in the right ears and sic the trans* folk on her.