Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Michael J

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Michael J »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Michael J wrote:This is the latest from quantcast of the daily page views. I waited until the end of this week for the noise to drop down and you can see quite a large drop. I went back a couple of years and except for around Christmas this is the lowest week they have ever had. The weekly drop is around 28% which is close to the number of 30% that somebody estimated as the total traffic to Ophie and 2Cows.
Untitled.png
I looked at the total people looking at the site for the week and that dropped around 10%.

https://www.quantcast.com/freethoughtblogs.com
To be fair, which I rarely am, those data are completely useless in indicating a collapse. Give it a few months, then look back, because that trough is not yet any more deadly-looking than any of the others on this chart.
Except for the Christmas period it is the lowest week for the last 2 years

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

I bet closing thunderdome and the fallout from that civil war affects the traffic more than B&W + Ed combined.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Really? wrote:
x_?_x wrote:
There are reasons to speculate that the hashtag that shall not be named might achieve a 'narrative switch' within the next few days.

I wonder how the hardliners will take it when the definitive "this is a harassment group" articles start hedging their language and moderating their tone...?
Insane SJWs Ian Miles Cheong and Suey Park have already "seen the light"...while maintaining their editorial post and asking for college bookings, respectively. If we want to see the future for GamerGate, let's look to what has happened in our own community. After constant FAIL, the lunatics turned on each other and the narrative has broken down. A writer for Slate (ew) inadvertently validated that Ophelia shouldn't have been attacked in the same manner she and FTB had been attacking people.

Remember Mad Men? This is rebranding. Suey Park needs to be able to sell racism against Asians, just like Ophelia needs to sell sexism. It's not going to end. It's just going to continue under different terms and definitions and with different figureheads.
Nah... I don't think so, actually.

I think SJW-ism is a phenomenon that pops up every so often. A bizarre subculture that, on the surface, seems credible and reasonable, but on closer inspection, is filled with abject kooks spouting loony things to each other.

Race and gender baiting is not new; it will not 'end' as such. Plenty of people still go to church, despite secularism's growing influence. What will change is the fervor, passion and credulity supporters will give to these race and gender baiters.

We hit peak SJW at some point, and now we get to watch as the rats flee the ship. Should be a lot of laughs to be had as things fall. (Or, I'm 100% wrong and I'll meet all of you in person in the re-education camps.)

Parody Accountant

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Parody Accountant wrote:I bet closing thunderdome and the fallout from that civil war affects the traffic more than B&W + Ed combined.
I agree. I don't think PZ can really get the hits especially now being an obnoxious atheist isn't so hip and happening.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Parody Accountant wrote:I bet closing thunderdome and the fallout from that civil war affects the traffic more than B&W + Ed combined.
That, and if he decided to bring the Thunderdome back and let them go full rabid hyena he could turn around the plunge in ratings.
This "I am just the curator but having a disagreement with a fellow poster could anger PZ and he could shut down the thread" that is happening at the Sexism thread (curator Ibis3) is boring.
It likely was the single largest draw on the network. It was for me.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I miss the Thunderdome. :cry:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I miss the Thunderdome. :cry:
You need to get beyond Thunderdome.

SWIDT?

That's pretty good for a Saturday night.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

deLurch wrote:
Spike13 wrote:While the GG folks may have expected such nonsense, since it is a forum hosted by SPJ perhaps they did not take the potential for this happening seriously.
It was taken seriously. Searched the prior day. Locked down and guarded all night. People stationed at the fire alarms. The only base they did not say they have covered is to check bags on the way in. The SPJ guy expected this and planned for it.

Oh ok fair enough then. That's pretty much about all one can be expected to.

It's sad it has to come to that.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Steersman wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Says a pretentious cunt who spells his name 'D4m10n'
:) Though I've always wondered how to parse that name; what is it alluding to? "D for m 10 n"? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It's just ultra-hip (if you're a teen) leetspeak.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote:
:) Though I've always wondered how to parse that name; what is it alluding to? "D for m 10 n"? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Isn't it now sad? It was ultra-hip when I was a teen. Now it's just 20 and early 30 somethings still thinking they're down with the youth of today.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Michael J wrote:
Michael J wrote:This is the latest from quantcast of the daily page views. I waited until the end of this week for the noise to drop down and you can see quite a large drop. I went back a couple of years and except for around Christmas this is the lowest week they have ever had. The weekly drop is around 28% which is close to the number of 30% that somebody estimated as the total traffic to Ophie and 2Cows.
Untitled.png
I looked at the total people looking at the site for the week and that dropped around 10%.

https://www.quantcast.com/freethoughtblogs.com
To be fair, which I rarely am, those data are completely useless in indicating a collapse. Give it a few months, then look back, because that trough is not yet any more deadly-looking than any of the others on this chart.
Yep, but I'm saying that showing this kind of data presented with the latest datapoint ending on a downward slope is fun, but not proof of death. The heart may still yet beat strongly, we shall only know when more data have been added.

I am all in favor of cheering Meyers's clownfall, but I think we may be at a point where waiting longer will provide more satisfying images than this.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Agreed. We don't need another hero.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Really? wrote:
x_?_x wrote:
There are reasons to speculate that the hashtag that shall not be named might achieve a 'narrative switch' within the next few days.

I wonder how the hardliners will take it when the definitive "this is a harassment group" articles start hedging their language and moderating their tone...?
Insane SJWs Ian Miles Cheong and Suey Park have already "seen the light"...while maintaining their editorial post and asking for college bookings, respectively. If we want to see the future for GamerGate, let's look to what has happened in our own community. After constant FAIL, the lunatics turned on each other and the narrative has broken down. A writer for Slate (ew) inadvertently validated that Ophelia shouldn't have been attacked in the same manner she and FTB had been attacking people.

Remember Mad Men? This is rebranding. Suey Park needs to be able to sell racism against Asians, just like Ophelia needs to sell sexism. It's not going to end. It's just going to continue under different terms and definitions and with different figureheads.
Maybe...but then again maybe not.

I mean, if we're assuming that the latest blow-up of this behavior came about because of the rise and importance of social media (not an unfair concept), it's possible that this meme basically blowing up will stop it dead in its tracks. If this type of flag waving doesn't make one look like a heroic warrior, but makes one look like an abusive tyrant....that will change things fast. There was a critical mass for this particular memespace, and there will be a critical mass away from it as well.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Michael J wrote:
Yep, but I'm saying that showing this kind of data presented with the latest datapoint ending on a downward slope is fun, but not proof of death. The heart may still yet beat strongly, we shall only know when more data have been added.

I am all in favor of cheering Meyers's clownfall, but I think we may be at a point where waiting longer will provide more satisfying images than this.
I hope FtB bounces back. There is a remote chance Myers has learned his lesson despite what he says. But his first job is to stop saying everyone who disagrees with him are hateful trolls and stop assuming personal attacks and lying about people are valid arguments. I assume he knows all this and simply can't help himself. If he actually does believe in his own propaganda then there's no hope for him. Zvan will never change, she knows the truth but loves being the way she is.

But they are all doxers and although I keep banging on about it, that is the point where people often go beyond help. That is the line few cross as it is a point of no return.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

RonSwanson wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
Agreed. We don't need another hero.
PeeZuss Christ!

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Please be advised that I will make use of the phrase "Meyer's clownfall" on a per situation basis and in the interests of brevity will not be including a citation since you probably stole it from someone else anyway. Besides, a phrase that good is too big for one person. It belongs to the Pit now. Joe Stalin would agree, and he ran a much bigger place than the Pit.

Parody Accountant

MacGruberKnows wrote:

Please be advised that I will make use of the phrase "Meyer's clownfall" on a per situation basis and in the interests of brevity will not be including a citation since you probably stole it from someone else anyway. Besides, a phrase that good is too big for one person. It belongs to the Pit now. Joe Stalin would agree, and he ran a much bigger place than the Pit.
In case you missed it, clownfall was a pit meme for a while.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Parody Accountant wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:

In case you missed it, clownfall was a pit meme for a while.
I didn't miss it, I forgot it, I think, I can't remember. Anyway, fuck you, I'm still stealing it.

Parody Accountant

Steal away

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Parody Accountant wrote:Steal away
... to Jesus.

[youtube]DEqSA0nqtcA[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Did I just trigger the Rapture?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Anyway, fuck you, I'm still stealing it.
#Avicenna

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Looks like it's just you and me Bhurzum. We've been left behind.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Steal away
... to Jesus.

[youtube]DEqSA0nqtcA[/youtube]
I love Gospel, this guy, too stiff. He played a 'negro spiritual' song like it was a European hymn and that's never good. And, not enough microphone, the piano was playing over top of him.

Here is the way it is supposed to be done because it is done by Mahalia Jackson, God rest her soul, and she is even accompanied by Nat King Cole - God rest his soul too.

[youtube]-O5hz5KnSdc[/youtube]

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Richard Dworkins wrote:This came out of completely nowhere, there have in the past been several heated discussions about SJWs and the like without any censorious nonsense. Some folk are working really hard at making sure no alternative narrative can even be discussed. It's as bad asthe seemingly hired goon who only every show up to complain when Israel is criticised by anyone.
This did NOT come out of nowhere.

"Gamergate = Hate Group" is a carefully crafted, combined narrative, tailor suited to all the biases #SJW carry around with them, namely "muhsoggyknees everywhere" + "racism everywhere" + "trolls on the internet" + "gamers are evil spastics".

The makers of this meme (games media, later msm) knew their progressive audience very well, and the narrative went uncriticised, even unexamined exactly because it rang all the right bells. It seemed "too typical" not to be true. We see this regularly with other stories, about rape or racism, only to find out they've been carefully crafted hoaxes catering to the myths mainstream media has been planting in people's heads over the last years.

(BTW: It's funny you mention the jews / Israel, bc their roguishness has been carefully established the same way by the Left for the last 30y (and let's not even talk about the 1950 years before that)).

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote:Looks like it's just you and me Bhurzum. We've been left behind.
Aye, it's the Sunday morning rapture matey!

;)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Steersman wrote: :) Though I've always wondered how to parse that name; what is it alluding to? "D for m 10 n"? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Star Wars cosplay?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Good news. My nephew just graduated in Engineering, specializing in mechatronics. Now I have someone to wire up all the shit I've dreamed about and - that's right - It's get even time. And I have a lot of time and shit to get even with. An Infra-red motion detecting rat trap? Yes, I will have him making it tomorrow. My dreams are finally coming true. Noone is safe. You are all rats to me. Except you guys. I love you guys. Just show your Pit membership card and you get a pass. But fuck the rest of the world. Except Mahalia and Nat. I mean, they're dead anyway.

Bwhahahahaha!!! Dreams can come true Dorothy.

Signed, disturbed in Vancouver.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Really? wrote:Insane SJWs Ian Miles Cheong and Suey Park have already "seen the light"...while maintaining their editorial post and asking for college bookings, respectively. If we want to see the future for GamerGate, let's look to what has happened in our own community. ...
The Suey Park of yesterday was legitimately mentally deranged. There was no other explanation for the things she said and wrote. It was the full #SocJus on bath salts.
The Suey Park of today is taking her new pills, which (as someone stated aptly) works wonders for ppl with bipolar disorder. The intensity and quickness with which she unfucked herself can again not be satisfyingly explained otherwise.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Good news. My nephew just graduated in Engineering, specializing in mechatronics. Now I have someone to wire up all the shit I've dreamed about and - that's right - It's get even time. And I have a lot of time and shit to get even with. An Infra-red motion detecting rat trap? Yes, I will have him making it tomorrow. My dreams are finally coming true. Noone is safe. You are all rats to me. Except you guys. I love you guys. Just show your Pit membership card and you get a pass. But fuck the rest of the world. Except Mahalia and Nat. I mean, they're dead anyway.

Please tell me mechatronics involves giant robots.

tina

Post by tina »

Oy....Fascist Tit...PM teed you. x t

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Shatterface wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:Good news. My nephew just graduated in Engineering, specializing in mechatronics. Now I have someone to wire up all the shit I've dreamed about and - that's right - It's get even time. And I have a lot of time and shit to get even with. An Infra-red motion detecting rat trap? Yes, I will have him making it tomorrow. My dreams are finally coming true. Noone is safe. You are all rats to me. Except you guys. I love you guys. Just show your Pit membership card and you get a pass. But fuck the rest of the world. Except Mahalia and Nat. I mean, they're dead anyway.

If you can sign over a giant check I can promise you on a preliminary basis that we can build a giant robot.
I mean, his term project was charging a 12V battery from a car alternator powered by a water-wheel. Scale that up,
throw in some microcontrollers, a gps unit, some servos and a couple thousand pounds of structural steel and you've got giant robots laser blasting entire cities to the ground.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Hmm. Rats and power fantasies. Where have I heard this before? :think:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Keating wrote:

Hmm. Rats and power fantasies. Where have I heard this before? :think:
OK, making a note, if your sunglasses have infrared blockers, you are a goner. No cheese for you.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

TiBo wrote:
Really? wrote:Insane SJWs Ian Miles Cheong and Suey Park have already "seen the light"...while maintaining their editorial post and asking for college bookings, respectively. If we want to see the future for GamerGate, let's look to what has happened in our own community. ...
The Suey Park of yesterday was legitimately mentally deranged. There was no other explanation for the things she said and wrote. It was the full #SocJus on bath salts.
The Suey Park of today is taking her new pills, which (as someone stated aptly) works wonders for ppl with bipolar disorder. The intensity and quickness with which she unfucked herself can again not be satisfyingly explained otherwise.
Apparently she got psychiatric help. She was lucky someone like McEwan didn't get her claws into her first to exploit her problems. Many others have not been so lucky.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

JackSkeptic wrote:
TiBo wrote:
Apparently she got psychiatric help. She was lucky someone like McEwan didn't get her claws into her first to exploit her problems. Many others have not been so lucky.
Or, she graduated from college, found out how the real world works and made a miraculous recovery. If she took any pills, they were the red ones. And by red I mean the right ones.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

JackSkeptic wrote:
TiBo wrote:The Suey Park of yesterday was legitimately mentally deranged. There was no other explanation for the things she said and wrote. It was the full #SocJus on bath salts.
I rarely see mental health professionals be so effective so fast.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Or, Suey had an encounter with a transgendered 6 foot 4 inch, 220 lb. 'female' in the washroom who explained to Suey that 'she' was a transgendered 'female' who enjoyed PIV sex while 'she' was masturbating 'her' 10 inch fully erect dong 6 inches away from Suey's groin regions, all in the women's washroom. Not that 'woman' means anything anymore, because apparently you can buy the rights to the word and use it any way you want.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

If you can sign over a giant check I can promise you on a preliminary basis that we can build a giant robot.
I mean, his term project was charging a 12V battery from a car alternator powered by a water-wheel. Scale that up,
throw in some microcontrollers, a gps unit, some servos and a couple thousand pounds of structural steel and you've got giant robots laser blasting entire cities to the ground.
Much as the reddened bums (and cute eyes) of Japanese schoolgirls make me happy, they cannot change my loyalty to my country. Send your nephew to these guys: http://www.megabots.com/ The US needs him. Good luck!

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Or, Suey had an encounter with a transgendered 6 foot 4 inch, 220 lb. 'female' in the washroom who explained to Suey that 'she' was a transgendered 'female' who enjoyed PIV sex while 'she' was masturbating 'her' Clarence's 10 inch fully erect dong 6 inches away from Suey's groin regions, all in the women's washroom. Not that 'woman' means anything anymore, because apparently you can buy the rights to the word and use it any way you want.
:cdc:

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Give me a raspberry Pi, 20 bucks, a fulcrum large enough and I'll move the dirt.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

dog puke wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:Or, Suey had an encounter with a transgendered 6 foot 4 inch, 220 lb. 'female' in the washroom who explained to Suey that 'she' was a transgendered 'female' who enjoyed PIV sex while 'she' was masturbating 'her' Clarence's 10 inch fully erect dong 6 inches away from Suey's groin regions, all in the women's washroom. Not that 'woman' means anything anymore, because apparently you can buy the rights to the word and use it any way you want.
You can't prove it was me! :whistle:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Clarence wrote:
Much as the reddened bums (and cute eyes) of Japanese schoolgirls make me happy, they cannot change my loyalty to my country. Send your nephew to these guys: http://www.megabots.com/ The US needs him. Good luck!
Holy crap! We'll need a way bigger water-wheel to beat those guys. Bigger alternator too. And right now we have the worst watering restrictions in history up here in Vancouver.

Dammit! World domination will have to wait.

And never forget the glowing hakiru skirts of Japanese schoolgirls, because that is why we fight the fight we fight:

Crap! I couldn't find a decent picture of a Japanese schoolgirl wearing a hakiru skirt, I guess they are just too decent. Instead I give you the picture of a Chinese woman wearing her LED 'hooker for rent, very low rent' version of a hakiru skirt:
http://i.imgur.com/sxG9bci.jpg

But I've gotta say:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/B6EKY8V8D7A/hqdefault.jpg

Open Source Hardware?

I think more like closed box all the way. That's how the Chinese get you every time. Bait and switch baby, we taught them well.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Clarence wrote:
dog puke wrote:
You can't prove it was me! :whistle:
What if the head left a characteristic dent in the cervix that points to the proverbial Blunt Instrument and its owner? Huh?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Thanks. Though I took a look at the article and I'm really no wiser as to what Damion's handle is supposed to be saying or alluding to. Ideas?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Steersman wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote:snip
Thanks. Though I took a look at the article and I'm really no wiser as to what Damion's handle is supposed to be saying or alluding to. Ideas?
He's just using alternate symbols (numbers) that look sort of like letters to spell his name. The 4 represents an A (or a) and the 10 represents io. That is all. It's edgy and all the cool kids are doing it.

Like S733rsm4n.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Eskarina wrote:[.quote="Steersman"]snip
:) Though I've always wondered how to parse that name; what is it alluding to? "D for m 10 n"? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.[/.quote]

He's just using alternate symbols (numbers) that look sort of like letters to spell his name. The 4 represents an A (or a) and the 10 represents io. That is all. It's edgy and all the cool kids are doing it.

Like S733rsm4n.
Thanks. Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to tell all those kids to get off my lawn - might have learned something new ....

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

deLurch wrote:Steersman, can you for once not stick out your cybernetic pinky when slipping your tea.
If there's one myth I'd like to debunk before I die it's this one. The one that says it's considered polite to extend the pinky finger when drinking tea.

Nobody thinks this is a part of politeness. Nobody. Except for people who have never drunk tea. Or been in England. It's total rubbish.

It's also a fallacy of causation/correlation confusion.

Let me explain: If you're having a polite English Tea Ceremony, you're using the 'best' china tea set. The cups are designed not for ease of use, but to look dainty. Hence the handles are far too small to be properly held by male fingers. You can't put any digits inside the handle because it's too small. All you can do is to grasp the handle between thumb and forefinger. This means that you can't use the opposability of your digits to manouver the cup against any axis except for the plane that the handle is in. All other manouvering has to be done using pressure against this axis, which means you actually have to grip the cup quite hard especially as you do not want to spill the tea or drop the cup.

The act of holding the cup with the required pressure causes the other fingers on the hand to splay, including, of course the little finger which sticks out a bit. In order to drink the tea, you have to tip your whole hand up, because, remember, you can't do it by rotating the fingers which you could if you could fit your fingers in the handle.

So yes, simulatanously, you are in the position of 1) Making polite conversation and 2) sipping tea with your hand in an unnatural position where the little finger is extended. But these two things are not causally related.

Do the science ! Get a posh tea-cup and try it. This will withstand peer-review.

In fact, it would be vulgar in the extreme to even notice the configuration of your co-tea drinkers fingers as the whole point is to make the thing seem as natural as possible and not a ceremony at all. It would be extremely rude to even think that your host would be concerned about your fingers.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Peezus overheard a guy who talked about cell phones causing cancer. So he writes a blog post about it. What's left of his Flock laps it up, making fun of the woo. Then the Dark Raider strikes.

http://i.imgur.com/bNKBYWy.jpg

(I would have left out the jab about gonorrhea. Otherwise a fine effort :lol: )

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

piginthecity wrote:
deLurch wrote:Steersman, can you for once not stick out your cybernetic pinky when slipping your tea.
If there's one myth I'd like to debunk before I die it's this one. The one that says it's considered polite to extend the pinky finger when drinking tea.
I think you can die at ease. The extended pinky is a sight-gag. The only place you will find it are on comedy shows and 5-year old girl pretend tea parties.

OK. So scratch that. It sounds like you have a lot more work. Go get those 5 year old girls playing make believe.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

blitzem wrote:SN....just watched your curry video. Sounds delicious. Even though I knew about the difference between what everyone thinks is cinnamon and the Sri Lankan type (from an LCBO Food and Drink mag article) I haven't tried the real stuff yet. Do you find there is that noticeable a difference?

Hmm. Was going to post the link, but it seems you removed it?
I removed it and re-uploaded after fixing a ton of things I missed the first time around.

The curry powder is delicious. I use it in a lot of dishes. The true cinnamon tastes more like how the old cinnamon hearts used to taste. Maybe they still do, I don't know. It's been years since I've had them, but that's the flavour of true cinnamon. I'm not sure if they still taste the same these days. The cinnamon's hard to detect in the resulting curry powder, but it's essential to the overall taste. I've become a true cinnamon snob! :)

[youtube]zEykH4_QU8I[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OMFG! O'Reilly?
AFurryisWHAT.png
(202.48 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Who would have thought that #GamerGate could be so ... so educational?
AFurryisWhat2.png
(193.72 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The Guardian discovers a genuine rape culture.

And Islam is behind it.
The systematic use of sexual violence to terrorise, humiliate and subjugate communities during times of war has a dark history, with an estimated 250,000 to 500,000 women raped in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and 20,000 to 50,000 women raped during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

And Isis is not the only party in the Syrian civil war to use rape as a weapon – rape is endemic in detention centres run by the secular regime of Bashar al-Assad. But what makes Isis’s use of rape so horrifying is its attempt to justify, codify and institutionalise the practice using ostensibly religious justifications for this war crime.

In its online magazine, Dabiq, Isis says that, prior to its conquest of the Yazidi-dominated town of Sinjar, it tasked its “sharia students” to determine which “Islamic rulings” should apply to the Yazidi community. It concludes that Yazidi women could be enslaved under Islamic law and establishes that one-fifth of the women should be transferred to the Isis leadership and the remainder divided among the fighters who participated in the conquest of Sinjar. The article goes on to reassure its readership that: “Many well-known [Islamic legal] rulings are observed, including the prohibition of separating a mother from her young children.”
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ex-slavery

Not sure how that slipped part the editors.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Scented Nectar wrote:[ I've become a true cinnamon snob! :)
Knew it ! You only became an atheist because you love to cinnamon !

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Shatterface wrote:The Guardian discovers a genuine rape culture.

And Islam is behind it.
The systematic use of sexual violence to terrorise, humiliate and subjugate communities during times of war has a dark history, with an estimated 250,000 to 500,000 women raped in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and 20,000 to 50,000 women raped during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

And Isis is not the only party in the Syrian civil war to use rape as a weapon – rape is endemic in detention centres run by the secular regime of Bashar al-Assad. But what makes Isis’s use of rape so horrifying is its attempt to justify, codify and institutionalise the practice using ostensibly religious justifications for this war crime.

In its online magazine, Dabiq, Isis says that, prior to its conquest of the Yazidi-dominated town of Sinjar, it tasked its “sharia students” to determine which “Islamic rulings” should apply to the Yazidi community. It concludes that Yazidi women could be enslaved under Islamic law and establishes that one-fifth of the women should be transferred to the Isis leadership and the remainder divided among the fighters who participated in the conquest of Sinjar. The article goes on to reassure its readership that: “Many well-known [Islamic legal] rulings are observed, including the prohibition of separating a mother from her young children.”

True to form, the Guardian gives zero mention to village after village of Yezidi men and boys-- who ISIS ordered to lay in the dirt and be sprayed with machine gun fire, until they were all dead.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

TiBo wrote:
Eh sure it can. Once you find yourself not giving people the automatic benefit of the doubt (to an extreme level) because they're on the "right" side of things, and assuming that everybody on the other side is the epitome of evil because they're not the scales really do seem to fall away VERY quickly.

In this case it looks like Park got into a personal fight with someone with significantly more SJW status than she has, the #GiveYourMoneyToWomen person, and got jumped on because of that. The base assumptions that I listed above change, and now everything that's happened over a long period of time completely gets refocused. Those insults that the "other" people sent that at the time you thought were so awful now seem mundane, and the things you gave a pass for from your own team now look like serious threats.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scented Nectar wrote:The curry powder is delicious. I use it in a lot of dishes. The true cinnamon tastes more like how the old cinnamon hearts used to taste. Maybe they still do, I don't know. It's been years since I've had them, but that's the flavour of true cinnamon. I'm not sure if they still taste the same these days. The cinnamon's hard to detect in the resulting curry powder, but it's essential to the overall taste.
Fenugreek, turmeric: I love it when I google things I've never heard of and the of first ten links, nine are to alternative "health" food sites describing how they cure cancer and give you better boners, and the tenth to webmd which lists additional ways in which they bring you closer to death :mrgreen:

Actually, turmeric is kurkuma or koenjit, we used to steal import it from Indonesia.
I've become a true cinnamon snob! :)
Mandatory Canadian.
[youtube]aAdtUDaBfRA[/youtube]

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

rayshul wrote:Y'all know I'm having a random few days.

https://i.imgur.com/sEbuvTs.png

Other links: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... all-wrong/
Richard Dworkins wrote:So I belong to the forum of a political writer who is quite left leaning but has always been willing to have a mostly open forum for political discussion. He's been awol a while as he writes his book but tonight someone on the forum brought up the bomb threat at SPJ airplay and the moderator shut down the thread with the following (slightly paraphrased. I don't want this site getting trolled).

"Stop. Just stop. Gamergate is a hate group, they are lying when they say it's about ethics in journalism, they harass women. Any more threads about this will be deleted and if I have to I'll start handing out bans."

This came out of completely nowhere, there have in the past been several heated discussions about SJWs and the like without any censorious nonsense. Some folk are working really hard at making sure no alternative narrative can even be discussed. It's as bad asthe seemingly hired goon who only every show up to complain when Israel is criticised by anyone.
That's pretty disappointing. But people seem to genuinely believe this stuff. It seems almost impossible to de-program the hardliners. I don't know what might help this person. You could probably easily drop into the #gamergate hashtag and ask for some women to come talk to your writer if that might help, or provide more links... but in the end, it's a religious kind of fanaticism that won't let them accept any other reality.
Well the PM system was on fire after she did it as the evil misogynists of the public sector, medical community and various other "Whites" colluded to oppress her by agreeing to complain to the other moderators and have a single person e-mail the writer directly about her attitude with a kind word that perhaps she should be less rigid or replaced.

Or raped with twitter death threats, either is good.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Service Dog wrote:
Shatterface wrote:The Guardian discovers a genuine rape culture.

And Islam is behind it.

True to form, the Guardian gives zero mention to village after village of Yezidi men and boys-- who ISIS ordered to lay in the dirt and be sprayed with machine gun fire, until they were all dead.
Women are wonderful, men are invisible.