Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Ericb

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Ericb »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Michael J wrote:
I wonder how they make the decision?

As I mentioned before. PZ is posting a lot at Science Blogs. I should actually say that he is copy more FTB posts to Science Blogs. No comments on any of his posts though. I think he is seeing if he can revive Science Blogs and move there when FTB folds
Someone should suggest he moves to the Skepchick network.
I'm curious to see if Skepchicks have any response to recent events in FTBland. If they throw PZ under the bus that will be the cherry for the this week's collapse.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feathers wrote:
SM12 wrote:Redefining the atheist movement to include social justice does not mean giving a free pass to people who throw gays from the top of towers if they have dark skin.
Also, creating a new caste system where everybody is categorised according to some perceived in-borne "privilege", and then forcing the privileged to bow in the dust for the less privileged, is not equality.
I am amazed that they think of some races and woman as some sort of disability that forever will require compensation in order for those individuals to be able to compete.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sad news from 'Agent oolon' on Lousy Rapist's latest post.
PZ did also silently ban me, but I don’t know if anyone else was banned.
:violin:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It has been said many times before, but I'll repeat it. "Privilege" is the SJ equivalent of Original Sin. SJWs are, in their urge to control all aspects of people's lives (and especially their sexuality), religious nutters through and through. The worst kind of totalitarian.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Is that it? Are we done?

Im struggling to come up with KPIs that could measure the further fall from relevance of the SJ brigade in the A/S space.

Are we now bouncing the rubble?

I agree that SJ thought is still everywhere. But not now it seems in our hallowed halls.
I disagree that the fight is over. Have any of the "big" leaders in atheism or skepticism (aside from Nugent) told PZ and the other FTB people to go fuck themselves? Look at the conferences. There are still a million stupid "How to Make Your Atheism Transintersectional" presentations. This SJW bullshit has become part of the discussion by default, just like HR departments will make you sign a paper promising not to rape any coworkers in the break room. Why do they have you sign such documentation? Just because.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Sad news from 'Agent oolon' on Lousy Rapist's latest post.
Does this mean PZ is now on the block bot?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Looks like PZ and Ophelia figured out he was working for us...but they were too late.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote:
feathers wrote:
SM12 wrote:Redefining the atheist movement to include social justice does not mean giving a free pass to people who throw gays from the top of towers if they have dark skin.
Also, creating a new caste system where everybody is categorised according to some perceived in-borne "privilege", and then forcing the privileged to bow in the dust for the less privileged, is not equality.
They don't want equality.

They don't even simply want people to bow because of their privilege. The "category traitors" are despised as much as the White Cis Hetero Men.

They want to able to police every aspect of everyone's lives all the time: you have to say what they want, dress and groom yourself the way they want and eat the way they want (otherwise it's horrible "cultural appropriation"), be attracted to who they say you should be attracted, behave how they want you to behave and more importantly think how they want you to think.

There's no room for disagreement allowed. Everyone who doesn't follow their rules to the letter and doesn't apologize how much they want is an "asshole", a "supporter of the Patriarchy".

It's all about having power over people. The end goal of all authoritarians is power for power's sake.
George Orwell wrote:“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”
I think the end result is that there's a relatively narrow range of "correct" personality and behavior that is acceptable, and their goal is to ensure that everybody is in that range.

I don't see how that's any different from oppressive gender roles, except for there being one narrow range for men and one narrow range for women you have one narrow range for everybody.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

So Ed leaving earns him all of 19 comments on PZs blog.

The horde are too busy sipping virtual cocktails at the Shoopsters.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:

Im struggling to come up with KPIs that could measure the further fall from relevance of the SJ brigade in the A/S space.

I agree that SJ thought is still everywhere. But not now it seems in our hallowed halls.
I disagree that the fight is over. Have any of the "big" leaders in atheism or skepticism (aside from Nugent) told PZ and the other FTB people to go fuck themselves? Look at the conferences. There are still a million stupid "How to Make Your Atheism Transintersectional" presentations. This SJW bullshit has become part of the discussion by default, just like HR departments will make you sign a paper promising not to rape any coworkers in the break room. Why do they have you sign such documentation? Just because.
Good. I will re-enlist then.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The claws stay sharp at Benson's with this update to her Ed post.

http://i.imgur.com/kqqWAE7.jpg

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Really? wrote:
Looks like PZ and Ophelia figured out he was working for us...but they were too late.
Shhhhh. His work is not yet done. The details for Phase Three are up in the back-channel, by the way.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Cnutella wrote:
Steersman wrote:...I think it is rather clear that we come in two basic sexes – male and female defined as those who produce either sperm or ova ....
Sauce for the goose?
Only if you're dining with Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
feathers wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Being owner leads to legal editorial responsibilities (as hinted in his farewell nonsense), so I doubt that he'd hang on to any share of ownership, if indeed is it that which is causing him "stress". I say he sees the writing on the wall, and decided, fuck it, i'm done with this.
Is that so? I suppose one can own a newspaper and delegate all editorial responsibilities to, well, the appointed editors. But then he'd have to have set up an organisational structure in the first place, which I think he didn't.

For example, the first time I ever heard about their 'executive committee' was when the Avicenna case emerged, so I suspect it was established then and there.
There was a central committee appointed early on in FTB's history. I remember it principally for the weird name they called it back then - the 'heirarchy'. It consisted of Myers, Brayton, Ophelia, Greta Christina and someone else who I don't recall at this stage.
I presume the main duties involved overseeing who would get invited and who would get kicked out of the coven.
The 'executive committee' seems to be an updated name for the ruling group and appeared at the time of the Avicenna debacle.

If Brayton and Benson are now gone that leaves both the ruling group and the overwhelming (90% plus) draw of FTB as Myers alone.

I never really saw Brayton as a pure SJW - he had his political interests and personal agenda but he rarely joined in the witch hunts - although the times he did, he proved himself as trustworthy and honest as an Avicenna anecdote.
I shed no tears over his departure. Patheos has the best business model for professional bloggers (which seems to be what Brayton aspires to be.) They offer more money and security than FTB can and the idea that money didn't come into the equation shows that Brayton still thinks his readers are idiots - which, for an FTB blogger, may not be not too far from the truth.

As for the overall picture of the events of the past few weeks, it was inevitable.
Myers must be sweating that his defense of Ophelia doesn't come back to haunt him. He has more skeletons in his closet than the storage room of the Ray Harihausen museum and a lot of the powerful SJWs (for example McEwan) know this. They kept quiet because he was useful to him. But he was useful because he ran an online mob of bullies. This mob is currently falling apart and with it Myers power and usefulness to the SJWs. How long will it be before they turn on him?

Hitches quote of Robert Bolt's "A man for all seasons" seems particularly apt:

"“You’d break the law to punish the devil, wouldn’t you?”

“Break it? I’d cut down every law in England if that would take it to catch him”.

“Yes you would, wouldn’t you?” And then “When you would have cornered the devil and the devil would turn around to meet you, where would you run for protection, all the laws of England having been cut down and flattened? Who would protect you then?”

Indeed.
Who will be left to protect Myers then?
If memory serves the committee was formed as a response (and shortly after) to the tfoot affair. The purpose of which was to vet proposed additions to the network, to lessen the chances of recruiting bloggers to the network who weren't a fit, (read: ideologically impure).

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Is it possible that PZ arranged all this drama to distract us from the news of another Bangladeshi atheist blogger hacked to death by Muslim fanatics?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Cnutella wrote:
Steersman wrote:...I think it is rather clear that we come in two basic sexes – male and female defined as those who produce either sperm or ova ....
Sauce for the goose?
Only if you're dining with Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD.
That's not sauce... :obscene-sexualspermblue:

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Sorry to interrupt, right now I'm chasing a thought-bit and am looking for some 3rd party opinion:

Scenario:
- Let's assume you have a structure, for example a very small, rudimentary building, which is frequently objected to nature's forces, wind, rain, etc...
- Let's further assume that this structure was destroyed and rebuilt many times. It was found out that certain forces were too strong for the structure. One of them was winds, enacting a force of [X pounds per Y surface volume]. X was a tiny bit too strong for Y to take, and made the structure collapse.

Question:
If we were to enlarge the surface volume Y by giving it an physical in-depth pattern (e.g. carving out bits and pieces, leaving a complex high/low structure, like the one in the attached picture), would this reduce the [X pounds per Y surface volume] value to a level which the structure could cope with, and not collapse?
Attachments
hilly.jpg
(234.16 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Za-zen wrote:There's a reason why The British empire, was the grandest ever to grace the face of the earth, and cricket exemplifies that.
Maybe I'm not up-to-speed on cricket tactics, but I've never seen one team try to turn half of the other team against the remaining half, using ethic differences, etc, so I don't see the parallel with the British Empire.
You are correct that the British empire were masters of "divide and conquer". That was their primary strategy for dominating territory, and a fascinating one to study when you look at how it was employed. I doubt they coined the strategy, as written history shows crude examples of it being used by the likes of the Romans, but nobody utilized it to such a degree, and with such nuance and flexibility as the British empire.

What I was pointing to in my comment was the patience of the British empire (the long game), adapting their play for light and weather. Civilized breaks for lunch and tea, and overall a pragmatism that sought victory, but was always aware that a draw may be declared due to circumstances they had no control over.

The sun has most certainly set on it, but by god it was a thing of beauty. I say that as someone who is an anti imperialist/ anti monarchist. Though I state again I am not an amadan, who takes the position of "what did the romans ever do for us!".

Dave

Post by Dave »

deLurch wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: From shoeonhead's twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLxkaLlVEAIFDj7.jpg

It seems to me that SJWs - for whom the above joke (I presume, apart from a few cuckholding fetishists, nobody will take them up on their offer) is seen as a political statement - are more about getting revenge rather than justice. Social revenge warriors?
I mean, where is the justice in the idea of advocating violence against a group whose only qualification for getting attacked is their skin color and gender?
If you read the terms below, "Free slap across the face. To receive a free slap, one must sign consent form. Those who do not fit the criteria are not eligble for a free slap akdfhfaruealsdkj"

And of course the criteria is listed above "For cisgendered straight-identified white men."

So any "cisgendered straight-identified white men," wanting to get slapped by them may not qualify as they are no longer necessarily as straight as they identify as.

Either that, or that both is a dating service for transexuals. You hear a lot of transexuals complaining that straight men don't want them. Anyone wanting to get slapped is not all that straight.
I would totally try to take them up on it. I am cis straight white male and neither a cuck fetishist nor a BDSM fetishist, but boy-howdy do I like to fuck with people, and I am pretty sure they are not expecting anyone to take them up on it, so I would. And leer at stare rape them the whole time.

But I admit I have a very warped sense of humor.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

TiBo wrote:Sorry to interrupt, right now I'm chasing a thought-bit and am looking for some 3rd party opinion:

Scenario:
- Let's assume you have a structure, for example a very small, rudimentary building, which is frequently objected to nature's forces, wind, rain, etc...
- Let's further assume that this structure was destroyed and rebuilt many times. It was found out that certain forces were too strong for the structure. One of them was winds, enacting a force of [X pounds per Y surface volume]. X was a tiny bit too strong for Y to take, and made the structure collapse.

Question:
If we were to enlarge the surface volume Y by giving it an physical in-depth pattern (e.g. carving out bits and pieces, leaving a complex high/low structure, like the one in the attached picture), would this reduce the [X pounds per Y surface volume] value to a level which the structure could cope with, and not collapse?
How to Calculate Wind Load

First you need to find the the value of the wind pressures with the formula, wind pressure (Psf) = .00256 x V^2, where V is the wind speed in miles per hour. Use the standard wind speeds in your area and the highest ever recorded so you can have a range of values.

What you need next is to know is the drag coefficientwhich is a factor which is due to the shape and other factors of the object that is exposed to the wind. The lower it is the less load per surface volume the object receives.

Then you can calculate the wind load or force with the general formula of F = A x P x Cd. (F is force, A is the area, P is the wind pressure, Cd is the drag coefficient, or the newer version of the formula F = A x P x Cd X Kz x Gh, which factors in:

Kz, which is the exposure coefficient calculated by [z/33]^(2/7) where z is the height from the ground to the midpoint of the object.
Gh, which is the gust response factor calculated as .65+.60/(h/33)^(1/7) where h is the height of the object.

Calculate the wind load for the old shape and the new shape of the building and see if the new shape reduces it significantly enough.

The drag coefficient for the shape you show can be approximated to that of an angled cube, which is around 0.80 instead of 1,05-2.0 for a completely flat surface (depending on its surface). Moreover the wind load is dispersed through a series of small angular areas instead of a big surface, so you can calculate the average wind load for a single angular area and then multiply it for all the angular shapes.

The result should tell you whether the load is diminished by the new shape and how much it is compared to the load with the old shape.

John D

Post by John D »

TiBo wrote:Sorry to interrupt, right now I'm chasing a thought-bit and am looking for some 3rd party opinion:

Scenario:

Question:
There is no such thing as surface volume. There is something called surface area.

A complex pattern of shapes will increase the surface area, but it may not impact the overall force from the wind. In general, the force of the wind acts on the entire profile of the wall.

If the wall has a shape this will have a very large impact on the force generated by the wind. For example, automobiles are designed with curved and angled shapes to reduce the resistance caused by the air flowing over them.

I am not an expert in this subject, but I think the certain shapes will reduce wind resistance. Golf balls have dimples that improve their flight distance for example. So, I would say that it is possible to make a flat wall with some kind of texture that would reduce the force generated by the wind. The shape that you are showing may actually make the force higher however. There must be an engineer out there that has tested this.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Parody Accountant wrote:How are you such a cunt most of the time, but then fucking golden when you tweet?

Steersman, you are an enigma's enigma.
Steersbot's cuntiness is measured by its level of verbal diarrhoea.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Guest wrote:Seems like appropriation for Myers to make an abortion joke. And inappropriate too.

Appropriation because those who can have abortions often have to struggle mightily to receive them, and even then, their lives are put in danger, and laws and men try to stop them. And the experiences unique to them.

Can those who cannot get pregnant truly understand what giving birth is about? Should they make jokes about that, or write novels about that? Probably not.

Inappropriate as Myers glibly saying he wants an abortion is likely triggering to many women, either because they were not able to get one when they most needed one, or because the decision was a very serious one for them, and it's men and patriarchy that claims otherwise.

Eagles, yeah, I know, Lebowski, but here the Eagles use a (TW:RAPE) rape metaphor similar to how Myers just made an abortion joke.

Some rich men came and raped the land,
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
people bought 'em

[youtube]Hdx6oyBOVj0[/youtube]

(it's Ray *Harryhausen* fwiw)
I'm glad that I'm not the only one here who really fucking hates the Eagles

Parody Accountant

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:At least they're taking the fight directly to PZ himself! How long until he goes to Patheos even though he told them to go fuck themselves today?
Would Patheos really take pz on? Surely they are not that stupid.
Money. Patheos would make some.

They already have daylight atheism

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:At least they're taking the fight directly to PZ himself! How long until he goes to Patheos even though he told them to go fuck themselves today?
Nope. PeeNus is about as marketable as syphilitic plutonium right now.

Parody Accountant

Michael J wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I wonder how they make the decision?

As I mentioned before. PZ is posting a lot at Science Blogs. I should actually say that he is copy more FTB posts to Science Blogs. No comments on any of his posts though. I think he is seeing if he can revive Science Blogs and move there when FTB folds
Didn't he used to cross post all the time? when ftb started he was doing it

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Brive1987 wrote:Lousy's spray of shit on his own network

https://web.archive.org/web/20150807013 ... ccounting/
Every single person who posted about repercussions wanted an apology, or at most, for her to shut up about trans issues while she went and learned about them herself. I know PZ sees a prosecution, rather than an attempt at convincing him that the history was actually far deeper and far more troubling than that Alex started a shitstorm single-handedly. I know PZ thinks that walking through one’s history for every single problematic thing that a person has ever said about any topic is Nugent-like — but that’s because that’s what Nugent’s done. That’s not remotely like what anyone else has done here, though. The absolute worst that you can say about anyone involved in this fight who’s actually doing any of the comment-dredging, is that they went looking through Ophelia’s history of transphobic comments, and finally, after building a dossier of them, demanding an apology and some self-reflection, and demanding an acknowledgement from him and others that, yes, this was actually problematic behaviour in the first place.
Yes, because that's just so fucking different from what Nugent did. You know, all that building a dossier of "problematic" comments and seeking an apology and some self-reflection. Totally nothing at all like what Nugent did.

:bjarte:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I miss sexting in PM with another lurker. :cry:
Is sexting code for chainsaw talk? I can't believe I forgot Another Lurker. Hope she's okay.
Stop kink-shaming us!

Parody Accountant

Could be a one off. Maybe this happened when Ophelia was thinking about staying. ..

Then again peez may be purging? I wonder if he's sacked others

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Most prolific posters (posts/day):
Could we see average number of words per post, by poster?
Want to see who the wordy cunts are, eh? This is done by characters per post, not words, since the query is way, WAY easier. However, it should be noted that it's also somewhat flawed since, e.g., welch used to quote like crazy without editing, just to add one or two words (in fact it was because of him that I instituted the three-quote limit).

Those who remember will definitely not be surprised to see Wonderbore or Steersbot in the top 3. But Skeppers', Aneris', and Strawks' presence close to the top is a tribute to their valuable contributions. Of course, I'd like to be able to assess the sense and value of the posts, but there's no way I could figure out how to do that.

Code: Select all

Username            # Posts       Total Length/MB       Ave chars/post
Wonderist             868             1.49                   1796
acathode              843             1.38                   1714
Steersman            5711             9.33                   1713
Karmakin             1059             1.55                   1534
ThreeFlangedJavis     558             0.81                   1529
Skep tickle          4553             6.44                   1484
Aneris               2212             3.01                   1428
Dick Strawkins       5485             7.27                   1390
Old_ones              822             1.08                   1375
JacquesCuze          1666             2.19                   1375
Clarence             1264             1.62                   1345
Zenspace              918             1.17                   1341
jugheadnaut           817             1.04                   1338
Linus                 531             0.67                   1332
welch                8342            10.54                   1325
Tribble              4150             5.22                   1320
JackRayner           1166             1.47                   1318
Altair                800             0.93                   1224
John D               1642             1.89                   1204
Richard Dworkins      770             0.86                   1167
Dave                  925             1.02                   1153
Badger3k             3090             3.39                   1152
CuntajusRationality   731             0.78                   1121
JackSkeptic          2787             2.98                   1121
Kirbmarc             2198             2.34                   1114
paddybrown            844             0.89                   1100
Service Dog           963             1.01                   1097
Really?              2599             2.72                   1097
Nec_V20               937             0.98                   1092
AndrewV69            5234             5.44                   1089
Considering that Clarence wrote almost exclusively about spanking Suey Park, his high ranking is impressive.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Old_ones wrote:I don't see what you are getting at with the chemistry analogy. NaCl isn't a molecular material; NaCl describes the formula you'd find in a crystal of table salt, but the entire crystal consists of atomic ions that are bound to all the ions of the opposite charge around them.
You are, of course, correct, but only because the Patriarchy is so strong in chemistry that ions which prefer to bind to other ions of the same charge are deeply closeted, such that you never see them. But some day....

Billie from Ockham

MacGruberKnows wrote:What happened when the marsupials of isolated Australia met the animals of Europe and Asia and the Americas? It was not pretty.
One day of one fucking cricket match and you're writing this kind of shit?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John D wrote:

Scenario:

Question:
There is no such thing as surface volume. There is something called surface area.

A complex pattern of shapes will increase the surface area, but it may not impact the overall force from the wind. In general, the force of the wind acts on the entire profile of the wall.

If the wall has a shape this will have a very large impact on the force generated by the wind. For example, automobiles are designed with curved and angled shapes to reduce the resistance caused by the air flowing over them.

I am not an expert in this subject, but I think the certain shapes will reduce wind resistance. Golf balls have dimples that improve their flight distance for example. So, I would say that it is possible to make a flat wall with some kind of texture that would reduce the force generated by the wind. The shape that you are showing may actually make the force higher however. There must be an engineer out there that has tested this.
Kind of what I am thinking. You can dimple or rough up the face of a wall any which way you want. But if the wind happens to be hitting head on against a flat (or dimpled) wall, it will still receive the full force and you are fucked.

They only time dimpling or roughing up the surface will make a difference is if the wind is coming at an angle, OR YOU DESIGN THE HOUSE it increase the chances that incoming winds will always come at an angle.

What came to mind is Thunderf00t's video on tanks and how ballistic hit durability were improved
[youtube]xlzMYiqHe20[/youtube]

So you get houses built with all sorts of tactics to reduce a full head on hit, such as various dome features, or even something as middle of the road as this:
http://www.monolithic.org/benefits/bene ... ne-charley

So after you ensure you are not dealing with a flat wall situation, then you can worry about roughing up that surface.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... duce-drag/

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Old_ones wrote:I don't see what you are getting at with the chemistry analogy. NaCl isn't a molecular material; NaCl describes the formula you'd find in a crystal of table salt, but the entire crystal consists of atomic ions that are bound to all the ions of the opposite charge around them.
You are, of course, correct, but only because the Patriarchy is so strong in chemistry that ions which prefer to bind to other ions of the same charge are deeply closeted, such that you never see them. But some day....
Trans issues are even worse. Can you imagine what it would be like to be a chloride ion that identifies as positively charged? Shitlord chemists just sneer at you and and call you "unstable"! Trans-cations are cations, full stop!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Parody Accountant wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Money. Patheos would make some.

They already have daylight atheism
But would they really survive well with a more toxic blog with his draw? Patheos can deal with a few shit heads here or there in small volumes. But if my hypothesis that Myers drives people away from the other FTB blogs in sufficient quantity, Pathoes would slowly start to lose money.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Not sure if Agent Oolon has crossed over to the other side. He appears to have doxxed a trans person on Jason's 'Accounting' thread. Needless to say the target was a bad trans, who supported the departing Prune, and not a good trans who Oolon likes.

(Don't worry Slymepitters' pure eyes will not be offended if they look there now, ThimbleDick has stepped in and tidied things up with a bit of redaction.)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Lousy's spray of shit on his own network

https://web.archive.org/web/20150807013 ... ccounting/
Thimbledick, who takes exception at being called Thimbledick while accusing others of rape, says:
Another is that I had a few extra days’ lead time on knowing that Ed was leaving. Traffic-wise, Ed and Ophelia both are about a third of this network. Without them, it’s now PZ and The Also-Blogs, at about a 90/10 split. We’re taking a big hit traffic-wise, which results in a big hit money-wise. That big hit money-wise means the server we’re paying for is slightly overprovisioned (which means more stable, yay!) but also means a larger slice of the ad revenue and more likely to result in shortfalls (boo). Shortfalls that will probably be paid out of PZ’s pocket. Shortfalls that probably mean if anything goes sour, we’ll have lean months, maybe even where bloggers get $0 revenue, where even now we’re lucky to get double digits.
That math seems screwy.

Ed and Ophelia are 30% of FTB. (PZ has to be at least 20% of current FTB traffic, right?)

Is he saying that FTB is now 90% PZ's page hits and 10% everyone else?

Who here is good at math?
Correct. So to lay it out, prior to the split

Code: Select all

[Ophelia & Ed ] = 30%
[pz           ] = 63%    [i]{ 90% * (100%-30%) }[/i]
[Also Rans    ] =  7%    [i]{ 10% * (100%-30%) }[/i]
Thimbledick is a retard, as bad at math as everything else, so who knows what he really means. But the way I read it:

Before:
Ed ....... 33.3%
Ophie ... 33.3%
Peez ..... 30.0%
et al. .... 03.4%

After:
Peez ..... 90.0%
et al. .... 10.0%

If so, then MEGA LULZ. :popcorn:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:The claws stay sharp at Benson's with this update to her Ed post.

http://i.imgur.com/kqqWAE7.jpg
It's a disgust party. There'll be snot salad and everything.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

42 on Lousy's thread:
Jadehawk says

August 7, 2015 at 9:24 am CDT

thanks for writing this. all of it is important tosay, but to me personally, especially the part about pitters and MRA’s: I don’t appreciate being featured on PZ’s blog approvingly for slogging through the pit to document their omni-bigotry, but being called Nugent-like for doing much much less to document trans-antagonism by Ophelia. That’s actual tribalism. Either documenting instances of bigotry to build a case is bad, or it’s not.
Apart from mislabelling us as bigots I'm slightly impressed by the self-awareness Jadehawk's demonstrating here. Consistency IS nice, isn't it.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:Ophelia Benson's latest pearls of wisdom on sexuality and sex work:
https://archive.is/t7UDI

http://i.imgur.com/y0gYDAJ.jpg
I'm sure you guys have already torn this drivel to shreds, but what is it with Ophelia and her fucking idiocy when it comes to economics?

If there were enough jobs "to go round" for women that they didn't 'have' to be prostitutes, some women would still choose to be prostitutes because they would be able to charge more money for the service, and possibly earn a better living than they could elsewhere. That's how supply and demand works, FFS.

She's made similarly inane points on other things. It's like she genuinely thinks the free market is driven by ideology rather than incentives, and is shocked when this misunderstanding hits reality. I can't believe how cretinous the woman is sometimes. :doh:
Ophelia is thoroughly disgusted by anything even remotely sexual. She can't imagine how a woman could willingly become a prostitute because for her having sex is something that women accept only if they're overwhelmed by their needs (either economic needs or a need to be loved). She's disgusted by hookups and sex with no strings attached as well, but can't show it openly without facing comments who argue otherwise (although she's hinted at her disgust many times). She's willing to give some leeway to sex between people who are in love but for her sex it's still just something that men want and that women provide.

I suspect that Ophelia might be asexual and utterly unable to imagine that a woman could simply like sex.
She does come across as incredibly naive about human sexuality. Prostitution can be very harmful and I agree it is that element that needs to be dealt with. The best way is to legalise it which will allow proper regulation. As to porn, the industry has suffered a lot due to amateur porn and the numerous free cam shows put on by women who love to do it. There are plenty of prostitutes and porn stars who do it by choice. I've known powerful women who love to be submissive and enjoy BDSM.

Woman are human too and they should be allowed to enjoy sex the same as men can. Benson would put a stop to that. Her attitude is highly patronising to women and puritanical.

Benson's comment on this are as useful and relevant as a Priests. She should stick to what she knows.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Congratulations to all!
Although many of us may be feeling vindicated with the recent turn of events, it must be doubly sweet for those personally abused and mistreated by the dwindling horde.

To be sure, the struggle goes on but we will mock and lol's our way to triumph.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Really? wrote:

I agree hence my comment earlier about it being far from over. It has infected other cultures too, ones which I am far more concerned about, such as gaming. Years ago many of us knew this was a generalised culture war and only now are people waking up to it.

However within the AS community their ability to cause harm has been diminished and the experience may teach them to reduce their bigotry and vicious attacks. So the Slympit has every right to celebrate a bit I feel especially as we were right from the start and actually tried to do something about it.

I still feel FtB will be there in some form though. It could even get worse. Personally I have largely switch to gaming issues, as I have since Gamergate broke out. The US AS community can go to hell as it deserves what it gets.

Really?

Post by Really? »

From Ophelia's breathtakingly silly "Sex is not a human need" post:
Dan says
August 6, 2015 at 7:06 pm
I think most women don’t hire sex workers not because they don’t crave sexual pleasure, but because women have to worry about their reputations more than men, plus women have to worry if they have sex with a stranger will they be physically safe. Plus our society still tends to define sex as all about the man’s pleasure. Much safer and more reliable to buy a vibrator.
What happens to men when they're picked up for solicitation? Their reputations aren't harmed?

Perhaps we should ask Governor Spitzer, whose Presidential campaign is going swimmingly.

[youtube]W6JNFusV3ZI[/youtube]

The next point is just general sexism; even though men are attacked more often than women, we have to pretend the opposite is true.

The next point is stupid pomo gender studies bullshit.

Yes, and there are no men who have decided to avoid all of the bullshit altogether and to date their hands.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Benson should stick to what she knows.

Adult diapers and waving her cane at the young'uns?

Really?

Post by Really? »

JackSkeptic wrote:
I agree hence my comment earlier about it being far from over. It has infected other cultures too, ones which I am far more concerned about, such as gaming. Years ago many of us knew this was a generalised culture war and only now are people waking up to it.

However within the AS community their ability to cause harm has been diminished and the experience may teach them to reduce their bigotry and vicious attacks. So the Slympit has every right to celebrate a bit I feel especially as we were right from the start and actually tried to do something about it.

I still feel FtB will be there in some form though. It could even get worse. Personally I have largely switch to gaming issues, as I have since Gamergate broke out. The US AS community can go to hell as it deserves what it gets.
Don't worry. I'm definitely celebrating.

[youtube]ZyVXFpD4k_s[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

By the way I said this before and I'll say it again.

Nothing that Nugent has said tells me Nugent approves of anything we have done or said. As far as I know he thinks we are as potentially damaging to the AS community as FtB and need to be spanked and spanked again. Now FtB have been largely dealt with.....

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

WE COULD BE NEXT FOR THE NUGE

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

JackSkeptic wrote:By the way I said this before and I'll say it again.

Nothing that Nugent has said tells me Nugent approves of anything we have done or said. As far as I know he thinks we are as potentially damaging to the AS community as FtB and need to be spanked and spanked again. Now FtB have been largely dealt with.....

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

Different kettle of fish. We've never claimed to be THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT in the way that FTB basically did. I imagine he's got bigger things on his plate right now.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Jonathan wrote:

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

Different kettle of fish. We've never claimed to be THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT in the way that FTB basically did. I imagine he's got bigger things on his plate right now.
Damn, would have been fun. Lets face it, winning is kinda boring.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

We haven't won yet. An animal is at its most dangerous when cornered. Or in their case most shrill, whiny and flaily.

What PZ does next will be interesting. I can't see him sinking FTB, at least not yet, so how's he going to try and bring the Horde back on side? Who knows, more grenades might be about to go off.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Alexa has some amusing things to say about FTB. First of all the giant three way split has just become manifest, but we can already see where the clown car is driving. If I can remember, I'll follow this up at the end of the month, to see what the split has done to the overall site rank.

Incidentally, good job making a safe space for women PZ. We can tell from the page view demographics, that your tactics were exactly what was needed to build an inclusive a/s movement. Good job, brah!
Attachments
FTB_1.jpg
(110.37 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
FTB_2_highlight.jpg
Safe space accomplished!
(89.98 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Also to anyone reading at FtB here is why you come accross as totally silly.

1. The word 'Woman' can have different meanings depending on context. Each one is potentially valid.

2. The various meanings are not mutually exclusive.

3. The fact someone does not wish to use a particular meaning as a generalised meaning to apply to all the meanings is not only sensible it is intellectually honest.

4. Benson did not wish to do such a generalisation and does not wish to be bullied and forced into it by anyone.

5. That in no way implies she is against a particular meaning given the correct context.

6. The 'yes/no' question had no context therefore it was an invalid question and clearly set up as a gotcha.

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

:animals-dogrun: :animals-mouse: :animals-dog:

Muslims should be turned into pet food.

Dave

Post by Dave »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

Clarence would have enjoyed the spanking.

Dont worry, we can always debate thumb under the screwdriver or over the hammer.

Billie from Ockham

Jan Steen wrote:It has been said many times before, but I'll repeat it. "Privilege" is the SJ equivalent of Original Sin.
This is worth saying at least once per day.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Is rather FTB limped on than folded completely, even more toxic but more marginalised than ever, so that we have something to point at as a warning next time someone starts the same bullshit.

Billie from Ockham

Really? wrote:I disagree that the fight is over. Have any of the "big" leaders in atheism or skepticism (aside from Nugent) told PZ and the other FTB people to go fuck themselves? Look at the conferences. There are still a million stupid "How to Make Your Atheism Transintersectional" presentations. This SJW bullshit has become part of the discussion by default, just like HR departments will make you sign a paper promising not to rape any coworkers in the break room. Why do they have you sign such documentation? Just because.
Agreed. Plus, if you have the gall to actually try to do outreach, instead of preaching to the choir, by going to something like CPAC, then you are lower than scum.

With that said, Hemant Mehta did more than I expected during the Avicenna episode.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

The MotP wouldn't turn on his own, would he?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

IT COULD BE OUR TURN.

Didn't he already take on the slymepit in the past?
If I recall correctly, his use of the standard SJW tactic of cherry-picking dodgy quotes and using that to condemn the entire slymepit userbase quickly fell apart when we turned the tables on him and collected similar stuff from the Irish Atheist website.
The strength of the pit is that we combine an open posting policy with a stance that says nobody speaks for the slymepit. It makes as much sense to condemn the general pit membership based on stuff other people have posted here as it does to condemn the entire twitter membership for stuff individuals post there.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Dave wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Clarence would have enjoyed the spanking.

Dont worry, we can always debate thumb under the screwdriver or over the hammer.
I just posted at Nugent's.We may get lucky.

Parody Accountant

Really? wrote:I disagree that the fight is over. Have any of the "big" leaders in atheism or skepticism (aside from Nugent) told PZ and the other FTB people to go fuck themselves? Look at the conferences. There are still a million stupid "How to Make Your Atheism Transintersectional" presentations. This SJW bullshit has become part of the discussion by default, just like HR departments will make you sign a paper promising not to rape any coworkers in the break room. Why do they have you sign such documentation? Just because.
Agreed. Plus, if you have the gall to actually try to do outreach, instead of preaching to the choir, by going to something like CPAC, then you are lower than scum.

With that said, Hemant Mehta did more than I expected during the Avicenna episode.
I suspect that he reads here occasionally