Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Skep tickle »

The group that protested the participatory kimono exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts has presented the museum with additional changes they want the museum to make.

H/t @clarlemon for pointing out this article:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/bosto ... -on-315783

See especially the observation in middle & comment at the end about how they present their concerns as (my wording) current SJW world view, without mentioning actual past racism (internment camps).

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

A new comment under Carrier's semipology includes this description:

"It’s like a birthday cake that is nearly impeccable, except for a little smidgen of feces in the corner. What you are asking us to do here is enjoy the rest of the cake and just ignore the feces."

https://archive.is/2Wuw8
:hankey:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

James Caruthers wrote:Some niggers actually act like niggers. Therefore the stereotype proves the word is A-okay to use.
Christ. I rather doubt that I've said that it's ok to use; obviously as a pejorative it's an insult, whether accurate or not. Though that raises the question whether speaking the truth is to be anathematized.

But my point, which you seem rather too obtuse to get or too dishonest to address, is that it's use isn't necessarily racist.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

paddybrown wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I know, sex is supposed to just be a social construct, but The Patriarchy made my girly wrists weak. Yeah, that's it. :)
I dunno, from puberty on guys' wrists do get a lot of exercise. Could be something in it.
Hmm... you might be onto something. :lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote:Haha.
Bring on the microaggressions.

(This is her reaction to Popehat calling someone a cunt on Twitter. As usual, she thinks it's all about her [and women].)
Maybe the reason for her surprise is this backstory, a recent repost of hers. A salient portion being an earlier tweet of Popehat's:
Ken
March 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm
I don’t know how free discourse can survive if we can’t go to a woman’s blog and argue about whether “cunt” is offensive or not without being ridiculed. That’s FASCISM.
Maybe the scales are falling from his eyes too? Although I'll concede the context is notably different.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

SM12 wrote:
Couch wrote:
SM12 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 82428.html

'“Sex without consent is rape,” he added. “There are no excuses. If someone is drunk or drugged, they cannot give consent.'

I think if a woman can't consent to sex, she must be in a state where she can't consent to get in a car. So a lot of taxi-drivers are committing abduction.
Now, that's a shit analogy, aka a "Steersnaology" Are you serious, or having a tug?
I didn't think it was such a bad analogy.

The idea is that if a drunk woman consents to sex, that consent is not legally valid, because she is drunk. Sir Stephen House, a top policeman, said so.

So what can a drunk woman consent to?
Yea, I thought it was at least an amusing analogy. Was even planning to suggest that the case with the taxi-driver is still an abduction even if he winds up taking her where she wanted to go ....

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Those top three are six inch bloody nails. No wonder it hurt. They should bang them further in or bend the tops over.
Jesus inside?
Yes! Phil is a member of the Triclavianist heresy!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Jan Steen wrote:I believe this model is called Bjarte. :bjarte:
Bjarte looks too happy. I was more like :( and :x and :cry:

Dolores Fuller

Post by Dolores Fuller »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:For those who were worried, I'm alive. I've been busy these past few days and still have to get caught up on the Pit.

I went for a X-ray yesterday so I could finally see what they put in my hip so far. The radiologist's opinion is that the screws are jotting out too much, messing with the soft tissue and causing the abnormal amount of pain I'm still feeling. I'll have to see with the surgeon.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... vtr1xl.jpg

Those top three are six inch bloody nails. No wonder it hurt. They should bang them further in or bend the tops over.
FYI TEACHING OPPORTUNITY
This x-ray illustrates Throkmorton's Sign:
The penis always points to the side with the pathology

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scented Nectar wrote:If he is able to just screw them in, then I don't know, I guess I'm just not strong enough. I know, sex is supposed to just be a social construct, but The Patriarchy made my girly wrists weak. Yeah, that's it. :)
Nah, lack of estrostuff probably.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Steersman wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Some niggers actually act like niggers. Therefore the stereotype proves the word is A-okay to use.
Christ. I rather doubt that I've said that it's ok to use; obviously as a pejorative it's an insult, whether accurate or not. Though that raises the question whether speaking the truth is to be anathematized.

But my point, which you seem rather too obtuse to get or too dishonest to address, is that it's use isn't necessarily racist.
There is a 9% chance Steersman will use the word "cunt" in any given comment and a 5% chance he'll use "nigger". That's odd, I would have thought it was the other way around. Coincidentally, he uses the word "Hornbeck" almost exactly as often as he does "bitch".

http://i.imgur.com/aqiN17n.jpg

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

feathers wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:If he is able to just screw them in, then I don't know, I guess I'm just not strong enough. I know, sex is supposed to just be a social construct, but The Patriarchy made my girly wrists weak. Yeah, that's it. :)
I've lost my (screw)drive!

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

fuzzy wrote:A new comment under Carrier's semipology includes this description:

"It’s like a birthday cake that is nearly impeccable, except for a little smidgen of feces in the corner. What you are asking us to do here is enjoy the rest of the cake and just ignore the feces."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 02af1c.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8pNEBQCEAA6lLo.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Steersman wrote:

There is a 9% chance Steersman will use the word "cunt" in any given comment and a 5% chance he'll use "nigger". That's odd, I would have thought it was the other way around. Coincidentally, he uses the word "Hornbeck" almost exactly as often as he does "bitch".

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/aqiN17n.jpg[/img]
:-) Doing my part to reduce the "power, the violence, the viciousness" of such words .... Though appreciate your efforts to differentiate between those uses for which I'm responsible and those that I'm not.

BTW, hope to have an abbreviated response later to your questions about my efforts (somewhat abortive) to "redeem" Hornbeck's attempt to minimize the likelihood that Smith's allegation was false.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

SM12 wrote:
Couch wrote: Now, that's a shit analogy, aka a "Steersnaology" Are you serious, or having a tug?

The idea is that if a drunk woman consents to sex, that consent is not legally valid, because she is drunk. Sir Stephen House, a top policeman, said so.

Clearly people can not be trusted to be adults, and plainly the real issue is that free mixing is a problem.

When I become Caliph I am going to solve this problem. Free mixing, drinking and illegal sex will be banned. Under my reign
the both of them are guilty of crimes and both will be sentenced to lashes for each count of illegal sex, drinking and being in the presence of someone of the opposite sex that they are not related to.

For a second offense, beheading will ensure that there is not a third occurrence.

(The above is actually quite lenient. You can not commit a second offense if you are dead)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dolores Fuller wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:For those who were worried, I'm alive. I've been busy these past few days and still have to get caught up on the Pit.

I went for a X-ray yesterday so I could finally see what they put in my hip so far. The radiologist's opinion is that the screws are jotting out too much, messing with the soft tissue and causing the abnormal amount of pain I'm still feeling. I'll have to see with the surgeon.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... vtr1xl.jpg

FYI TEACHING OPPORTUNITY
This x-ray illustrates Throkmorton's Sign:
The penis always points to the side with the pathology
:clap:

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

I'm a few pages behind, catching up... Saw this on the amazing mofo blog.

http://www.elyseanders.com/blog/2015/7/ ... exhaustion
Elyse Anders wrote:In that week, I have read no less than a hundred thousand comments about how I am a liar.
100,000 comments?

In a previous post, she complained that she had 100,000 hits, IIRC. That particular post had several hundred comments, I think over 300 - her highest.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Scented Nectar wrote:
feathers wrote:
I've lost my (screw)drive!
:-) The way of the world, fortunately or not. Reminds me of the joke about the three phases for that "urge to merge": tri-weekly, try-weekly, try-weakly .... :rimshot: :-)

Really?

Post by Really? »

fuzzy wrote:A new comment under Carrier's semipology includes this description:

Awesome. You just know that Carrier is rolling his eyes while checking those threads. "What the fuck else do I have to say to these psychopaths to get them to leave me alone so I can get back to banging?"

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:

(This is her reaction to Popehat calling someone a cunt on Twitter. As usual, she thinks it's all about her [and women].)
Maybe the reason for her surprise is this backstory, a recent repost of hers. A salient portion being an earlier tweet of Popehat's:
Ken
I don’t know how free discourse can survive if we can’t go to a woman’s blog and argue about whether “cunt” is offensive or not without being ridiculed. That’s FASCISM.
Maybe the scales are falling from his eyes too? Although I'll concede the context is notably different.
"Elementary good manners by way of an introductory salutation" - https://archive.is/wShq0

FWIW, in case it's not clear, based on the FTB B&W post above it looks like that 2012 comment that starts "I don’t know how free discourse can survive..." was sarcastic.

Anyone know more about recent context w/ Popehat?

Parody Accountant

Gefan wrote:Just wanted to register my non-cooperation with the collective fellating of Breitbart that's being going on around here of late.
I'm reasonably sure that Bin Laden would have been just opposed to the tide of Baboonery as Breitbart. Being right about something so bleeding obvious hardly qualifies that crew of Neocon cocksuckers for hugs.
Milo is a terminally smug, self-impressed cunt who has convinced himself that going after easy targets somehow makes him the next Hitchens (yes, I know we all go after the same low-hanging fruit, but I don't think any of us believe that it qualifies us as public intellectuals).
Breitbart himself was an irredeemable dick, and bully, whose death I celebrated. He directly threatened every American who was not "one of us".
Fine.
You insist on living in a suburban tract home, driving a minivan, being married, breeding kids, playing golf on Saturday mornings, going to church on Sunday mornings, listening to talk radio, watching Fox "News", and despising every other fucking human being on the planet - go for it.
You want to try and bully me into conforming with that lifestyle - you better be ready to fucking fight.
parklife

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote::-) The way of the world, fortunately or not. Reminds me of the joke about the three phases for that "urge to merge": tri-weekly, try-weekly, try-weakly .... :rimshot: :-)
I'm at try-what-was-it-I-can't-remember?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Oh, and "pitchforks"...umm. Did she use that word for ironic purpose?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Parody Accountant wrote:I'm a few pages behind, catching up... Saw this on the amazing mofo blog.

http://www.elyseanders.com/blog/2015/7/ ... exhaustion
Elyse Anders wrote:In that week, I have read no less than a hundred thousand comments about how I am a liar.
100,000 comments?

In a previous post, she complained that she had 100,000 hits, IIRC. That particular post had several hundred comments, I think over 300 - her highest.

Except her deliberate, attacking-flame-bait posts, she's lucky to get 10 comments. And of the quick perusal I did, most were 5 and fewer.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Steersman wrote::-) The way of the world, fortunately or not. Reminds me of the joke about the three phases for that "urge to merge": tri-weekly, try-weekly, try-weakly .... :rimshot: :-)
I'm at try-what-was-it-I-can't-remember?
:) Reminds me of a skit on This Hour Has 22 Minutes many years ago in which 2 women in their dotage are sitting on a park bench and one says to the other, "Do you remember the minuet?" And the other, mishearing her, says, rather earthily, "Christ! I don't remember the men I fucked, much less the men I ate!" .... :rimshot: :)

Parody Accountant

HoneyWagon wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Secular Women Works conference is scheduled for August 21-23.

Secular Woman, the nonprofit that's one of the sponsors, tweeted about it recently. This seems to be the account's 2nd tweet about it, the 1st one having been in January.
Only a month away! [sic]
With 4 retweets, and no likes...not too many people seem interested actually.

With it happening a little over a month from now, you would think twitter would be more abuzz.
Also, there is this I just checked here (if this is indeed the venue?)

Still nothing for Aug 22, although 21st is using the space
http://ems.umn.edu/HHH_VirtualEms/BrowseForSpace.aspx

So maybe they have this one day?
https://www.facebook.com/events/115363445466460/
QUICK WHERE DO I DONATE TO SAVE THIS CONFERENCE?!?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:

[.tweet][/tweet]

Ken
"Elementary good manners by way of an introductory salutation" - https://archive.is/wShq0

FWIW, in case it's not clear, based on the FTB B&W post above it looks like that 2012 comment that starts "I don’t know how free discourse can survive..." was sarcastic.

Anyone know more about recent context w/ Popehat?
Agreed about that tweet being sarcastic - why I alluded to different contexts. But I kind of get the impression that she may have thought that Popehat was of the view that the word should be verboten - apparently her own view. In which case she might have seen his use of it as a bit of a betrayal, if not justification for calling out the pitchfork brigade.

Parody Accountant

Skep tickle wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Secular Women Works conference is scheduled for August 21-23.

Secular Woman, the nonprofit that's one of the sponsors, tweeted about it recently. This seems to be the account's 2nd tweet about it, the 1st one having been in January.
Only a month away! [sic]
With 4 retweets, and no likes...not too many people seem interested actually.

With it happening a little over a month from now, you would think twitter would be more abuzz.
Also, there is this I just checked here (if this is indeed the venue?)

Still nothing for Aug 22, although 21st is using the space
http://ems.umn.edu/HHH_VirtualEms/BrowseForSpace.aspx

So maybe they have this one day?
https://www.facebook.com/events/115363445466460/
So the room's reserved all day on Fri 8/21 but not for 8/22 or 8/23?

And the room's max is 36 people?

That does seem more reasonable for a new endeavor than attempting to hold a 3-day conference. However...

1) The kickstarter raised $13,743 with the writeup on fundraising goals saying:
Base Goal: $13,000

Reaching this goal would cover costs for our venue for a conference running Friday evening through Sunday afternoon, including equipment rental and basic refreshments like water and coffee. It would allow us to bring in six to seven speakers from outside the Twin Cities to share their expertise and draw on local activists for the rest, with major sessions recorded to be shared on YouTube after the conference. It would also cover the costs of raising conference funding through Kickstarter.
Donors might not have exactly been promised a 3-day conference, but that was the implication.

2) The ticket sales page at MNatheists.org doesn't exactly give the dates of the conference, but it says "Set aside August 21-23", & selecting "Conference Registration" leads to a page that includes this line: "We will welcome walk-in conference attendees on August 21-23."

Oddly, clicking on the Shopping Bag (as if to pay for conference registration) without having entered a name for the badge & an email address, the "cart" page shows me that my badge name will be [specific woman's name that's not mine] and the associated email is [an email address that's not mine but does match the specific woman's name on the badge]. Also, it shows me the dietary choices I've made...except I haven't. Hopefully that's just a one-off & they aren't inadvertently displaying a specific person's name & address (maybe the last person to purchase registration at that site?) to anyone who happens by. :(

Anyway, my point in (1) & (2) is that there appears to have been, & be, a promise to donors & ticket-purchasers that the conference will be 3 days long, if they don't deliver what they've been promising (even if 1 day is more realistic) they might end up with frustrated payers, & potentially be seen as violating an implied contractual arrangement.

Finally, as above, it looks like the room that's been reserved seats 36. And there are currently a total of 10 speakers (from here and here). But there were 76 donors whose donation level included conference registration as a "reward" (from here), though there may have been individuals who gave at more than 1 level and/or are now on the speaker list, so the number of individuals "entitled" to attend may not be quite as high as 86 (76 rewarded donors + 10 current speakers), but it's still likely that it's over 36. :think:
Based zebra thank you for all your hard work in making this conference a reality. Can you please also help them find a local library's meeting room for the 'revised conference location' ?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Skep tickle wrote:The group that protested the participatory kimono exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts has presented the museum with additional changes they want the museum to make.

See especially the observation in middle & comment at the end about how they present their concerns as (my wording) current SJW world view, without mentioning actual past racism (internment camps).
The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek in any case.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Skep tickle wrote:

I'm surprised she used the phrase "summon the pitchforks" at all, seeing as she's incapable of grasping simple metaphors.

I imagine she and Crommunist are like Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Anyway. Popehat always been a bit of a twat. Maybe he finally realised "cunt" isn't actually that bad, and not exclusively aimed at women. The reason for his awakening is immaterial. All I know is that Ophelia has already at one point acknowledged that "cunt" carries different connotations in other English speaking countries but still expects them to cater to her delicate sensibilities. The mark of a perpetual narcissist.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Skep tickle wrote:

No, she's just genuinely thick enough not to associate pitchforks with witch hunts.

Shatterface

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oh man, this is sweeeeeet :lol:

http://imgur.com/OR2r20U.png

http://imgur.com/e5eYrPl.png

And here is why Popehat called a woman a cunt:

http://popehat.com/2015/07/09/judge-lis ... to-submit/

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Thank you for not making it chocolate milk :D :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Couch wrote: If you can bandy around terms like 'flush heads' and 'pilot holes' you're likely knowing more about this stuff than me. :)
Run those terms by Ophie fast and see her reaction.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

katamari Damassi wrote:I admit to a morbid curiosity of what aspie sex might be like.
I once tried to have aspie sex. During foreplay, we started arguing about whether calling it foreplay implied the necessity of subsequent intercourse, which would inexorably link the two phases, which would make the label "foreplay" inappropriate, given that any two inexorably-linked phases can't really be argued to be separate, such that it wasn't really foreplay - it was part of the intercourse - but without any foreplay, we couldn't have intercourse, given that sex without foreplay is like calling someone a "nigger" - not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was now already dawn and we both had places to go.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Michael J wrote:
Really? wrote: I'm not calling you a liar, of course, but I've only read articles that say Gawker might lose. Disavow me of that notion?

I just don't understand how in the hell Gawker could win such a case.
Hulk's attorney: "Can you present proof that you had consent to publish or even possess the video of Hulk banging that woman?"
Gawker asshole: "No, I cannot."
Judge: "Well, we're done here. Gawker owes Hulk a trillion dollars. Who wants fish tacos?"
Mainly on Slate's Political Podcast (Can't link to anything there as Slate now limits Aussies to 5 visits a month). Now the guy who made the famous Romney tape didn't have Romney's permission either. This is where the case rests - was Gawker acting as a news site exercising the public's right to know?

As much as I dislike Gawker, I actually hope that Gawker wins this one because I am worried that it would set a precedent where dishonest people like Anita Sarkeesian can start ordering sites to take down information about her on some lame pretext.

Did that podcast mention that a judge ordered gawker to remove the video and then they made a post about that order mocking it?

Hogan has a very good case. At the time of the video release he was mostly a private citizen being semiretired. There was nothing news worthy about him. He went to a court and they agreed and sent an order for gawker to take down the video. Gawker ignored the order.

Hulkamania is running wild.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote:I hope the rain in Atlanta eased up enough for comhcinc to get outside some with the kids.

We didn't see any rain. Just some clouds which were nice. My oldest stayed at her grandmother's. She is feeling sick and plus I think she just wanted a break from everyone else.

We went to a park for a while and then I took them to the drive in. We watched Minions and ate pizza. Then we came back to my sad little room and crashed. The toddlers sleeping with me. Which means I didn't have any sleep but it was still great.

It was a little hard this morning because first my 4 year old wanted to stay and then he wanted me to come with them, but overall it was a great time.

http://i.imgur.com/zYHevLY.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to report that I am employed tomorrow afternoon.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

SM12 wrote:
Couch wrote:
SM12 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 82428.html

'“Sex without consent is rape,” he added. “There are no excuses. If someone is drunk or drugged, they cannot give consent.'

I think if a woman can't consent to sex, she must be in a state where she can't consent to get in a car. So a lot of taxi-drivers are committing abduction.
Now, that's a shit analogy, aka a "Steersnaology" Are you serious, or having a tug?

Where the analogy breaks down is that if the cab simply takes her home, nothing has been done that could remotely be construed as having been against her interests. You can legally interact with someone who clearly has lost the faculties to make decisions, but if you do you have a legal responsibility not to knowingly act against their interests. If the cab driver takes someone in this state to a place he knows they shouldn't be going to, it may very well be construed as abduction or something related, even with their apparent consent.

Of course, this has nothing to with the main point that there is a feminist attempt underway to move the standard from incapacitation, where everyone agrees, to any level of intoxication. And, as others have pointed out, for a group that advertises itself as being fundamentally about gender equality, this exposes a stark contradiction. When a woman has had a couple of drinks, she loses all responsibility for her actions and automatically gets relegated to child-like status where anyone interacting with her is doing so in loco parentis. But when a man has been drinking, full responsibility for navigating subtle and very open-ended social cues is very much in effect, and the penalties should the woman later decide she made a mistake are devastating.

This is where the feminist tendency to authoritarianism is on full display. They want rape to be their domain. If you are accused of rape, you're not under the jurisdiction of the US, Canada, or the UK, you're doing it under the jurisdiction of Feministland, where centuries of enlightenment progress can be thrown away and perceived female group rights trump individual rights. They not only want to own the legal process for rape, they want to have a de facto copyright on the very concept. If you use rape in a movie or book, it can only be in feminist approved ways. These ways, being feminist, are not subject to any objective standards or even consistency. If it makes some feminists feel uncomfortable, it's forbidden. If it, heavens forbid, turns them on, it may be OK. As long as the author is a card carrying feminist and appropriate trigger warnings have been issued.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

:popcorn:

Popehat (Ken White, at least, from what I've seen) makes no secret of being pro-free speech and (*gasp*) libertarian. It's just that (from what I've seen), he sees (or they see) it as quite reasonable for people to expect or place limits on speech based on the situation.

Certain FTB bloggers have liked his views when they overlap with theirs, & have enjoyed his support in those instances, and (from what I've seen) have until now been able to conveniently ignore when his views are antithetical to theirs.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oh and since there has been so much talk about tools the last couple of days, I have a question for everyone.

Do you prefer your Steertler battery powered or with a cord?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:The group that protested the participatory kimono exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts has presented the museum with additional changes they want the museum to make.

The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek in any case.
Not sure if joking or sourced from cinema...

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kimono
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259446/quo ... =qt0317017

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

comhcinc - So glad to hear you got to spend time w/ your kids, and that (insert superstitious gesture here) you may get a job offer this week.

Post by Guest »

Ken of Popehat is still an ass.

But he appears to have gone from a year or so back mocking people who used the term "social justice warrior" to using the term "social justice warrior" himself. No links, that's just my impression.

He's got a very narrow expertise, free speech and first amendment. From there to other civil liberties.

Outside of those narrow (but very important) goggles, he's a know nothing ass, and that can help explain his stance on Myers vs. Shermer.

He does demonstrate, that in a race of egos between pilots, surgeons and lawyers, lawyers have a true champion.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Subman's latest post: "Female Conscription in Norway – Collaboration with @ZoeJen_"

http://skeptischism.com/periscopedepth/ ... ith-zoejen_/

equity feminism vs whatever you call feminism that expects special status for women when it suits

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Couch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Couch wrote:Scented, not questioning your mad IKEA skills, but is there any chance you've used some shorter screws in deeper holes, and ended up with longer screws for shorter holes? Cue Benny Hill music... :D
No. The others are all flush heads and only the last step (the one I can't do) uses the round headed ones. Also that's the only step that has pointy screws due to the holes only being pilot holes and not threaded holes. The pdf shows the 2 different screw types at http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/assembly_inst ... -2_pub.pdf. No more un-assembled furniture for me. According to the instructions, I should have been able to do it with just a screwdriver. I was able to screw them in only until they barely moved and were squeaky at that. Then I couldn't turn them any further.
Fairy nuff. If you can bandy around terms like 'flush heads' and 'pilot holes' you're likely knowing more about this stuff than me. :)

I've never used a manual screwdriver for IKEA stuff, so I'm not sure how much torque you need to apply, but it sounds like you've been mis-supplied by IKEA somewhere - either with screws too long, or holes too short.
Buy thinner or shorter screws, save yourself $24.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Couch wrote:
paddybrown wrote:I put my shoop of Peez and the Oaf as American Gothic through Dream Deeply:

http://s23.postimg.org/8x0f4k8mz/FTB_Go ... Deeply.jpg
I love how The Bensonian has a tinfoil hat!
It changed PZ into Greta Christina!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

comhcinc wrote:Oh and since there has been so much talk about tools the last couple of days, I have a question for everyone.

With a cord please

http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i ... PdYPdy.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:comhcinc - So glad to hear you got to spend time w/ your kids, and that (insert superstitious gesture here) you may get a job offer this week.
Thanks.

I am trying not get too excited but I believe I have the job. It was called a "extended second interview" where I would meet the owner but also was mentioned training and processes. Normally you wouldn't waste time doing that if you wasn't planning on giving the person a job.

I think, because this is a very small company, that what is going to happen is the owner wants to give me the once over and then I will get to work.

Billie from Ockham

jet_lagg wrote:Well that's just it. Women AREN'T equal to men in any simplistic sense of the term.
Exactly. You'd be comparing two multi-dimensional items without either specifying the one dimension of interest or providing a metric for combining dimensions. It's a non-sensical process. (So let's spend most of our lives doing it.)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Couch wrote:
paddybrown wrote:I put my shoop of Peez and the Oaf as American Gothic through Dream Deeply:

I noticed that, too.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Couch wrote:

Oafie's hat looks vaguely like an old German military helmet and it looks like she's wearing a mask. Is Dream Deeply sentient and communicating through symbolism? :)

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Couch wrote:

And turned Ophelia into Greg Laden.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek in any case.
Huh?

Post by Guest »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek in any case.
Huh?
See for clarification (??)

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2015/01/why-it-is-all-greek-to-you/

>> “Give me a word, any word and I’ll show you how the root of that word is Greek. Ok? How about arachnophobia? Αράχνη, that comes from the Greek word for spider, and φοβία is a phobia, it means fear. So fear of spiders. There you go!”

>> “OK Mr Portokalos. How about the word kimono?”

>> “Hmm, kimono, kimono, kimono…ha! Of course! Kimono comes from the Greek word himonas which means winter. So what do you wear in the winter time to stay warm? A robe! You see? Robe-kimono… there you go!”

> This is Mr Portokalos’ opinion, a character playing the Greek father in Nia Vardalos’ famous film ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’. Despite Mr Portokalos’ view, not all English words have Greek roots and certainly kimono is a word of Japanese origin (it literally means ‘wearing thing’).

> However, a lot of English words, especially scientific terms, very obviously have their origins in Greek.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

bhoytony wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Oh and since there has been so much talk about tools the last couple of days, I have a question for everyone.

With a cord please

http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i ... PdYPdy.png
I don't know. A battery could work, too.

http://www.daijiworld.com/images1/daya_ ... boats3.jpg
The fishing boat caught fire due to shortcircuit in the battery cable of the boat engine. At first, smoke was found to be billowing from inside the engine and later, fire spread over to the entire boat in a rapid force. Link

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Good heavens, an ENTIRE post?!

http://imgur.com/yHgOWSE.png

http://imgur.com/UwclhqJ.png

Two labels, two comments. Someone call an ambulance for the BBC.

Step aside chumps, empowered tweeter coming through.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I don't know about the mescaline dream, but that pic on the left is fucking funny. Really nice work :D

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Really? wrote:....
What would we think if a journalist used their journalistic powers to get a tape of Sarkeesian and her puppet master doing the nasty? It's newsworthy, right?
http://www.horror.land/wp-content/uploa ... er_v01.jpg

Parody Accountant

I KNOW ABOUT THE MESCALINE DREAM.