Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
James Caruthers

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by James Caruthers »

Fuck Stefan Molyneux too, that windy defooing ancap cunt.

"If you support taxes, that means you want me to be shot!"

Yes. Yes I do.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:I need whiskey recommendations. Anyone got any? Been thinking about expanding beyond Evan Williams and Black Velvet. : DDD
Ardbeg. It's fucking gorgeous.
Try it before you buy a bottle though coz it's expensive.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:Fuck Stefan Molyneux too, that windy defooing ancap cunt.

"If you support taxes, that means you want me to be shot!"

Yes. Yes I do.
Did you see him get caught out on Youtube pretending to be a girl writing comments on his own videos? Shame he forgot to log out of his main account before writing the comment though.
lol.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

https://manboobz.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 0-14-1.png
Can't confirm authenticity so take it with a pinch of salt.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

dogen wrote:On the Peeze post about the Indians, Caine gives us this:
I am half Oglala Lakota. Please, if you aren’t Indian, don’t try to help with stuff like this, okay?
Do we have a link to previous comments by Caine, showing that her fractional Indian ancestry has evolved over time?
It's a progressive condition. After a few more years, she'll be 110% Oglala Lakota (or maybe it will morph into something else at that point).

James Caruthers

Tony Parsehole wrote:https://manboobz.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 0-14-1.png
Can't confirm authenticity so take it with a pinch of salt.
Haha, that is great.

James Caruthers

I wish Stefan would make a video under 20 minutes, because there are a lot of lulz to be mined. I just can't sit through 40 minutes of his bullshit.

James Caruthers

Stefan Molyneux is an actual cult leader. In fact, anarcho-capitalists have some amazingly lulzy videos.

[youtube]RHe4OQ4bY4o[/youtube]

James Caruthers

You freely consented to this pit kill.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Is there a name for someone who is anti-SJW but still hates obnoxious fascist fucks like RamZPaul and Davis Aurini?
Reasonable person? Mentally sane?

Aurini is one of the reasons I hate MRAs. He's at least just as despicable as Amanda Marcotte. They should hook up and proceed to move to a desert island in the Pacific and make life miserable for each other.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Caine is probably just as Native American as this guy:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010 ... enshot.png

James Caruthers

Aurini makes me think of that political cartoon.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20130407.gif

Sometimes I think of the reasonable feminists and SJWs (they must exist) and imagine them coming across Aurini or Molyneux as representative of the "nonfeminist" or "antifeminist" perspective and think, holy shit, I can totally know those feels.

James Caruthers

Go watch Aurini's response to Tommy Sotomeyor.

[youtube]t4AcWFogD60[/youtube]

Seriously, WATCH THIS SHIT.

He is fucking insane.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I watched the first 10 minutes of Daredevil on Netflix.
Went into it with an open, albeit drunk, mind.
Shite.

If you force yourself to watch the first two episodes you'll be rewarded with a good series from episode three onwards when Vincent D'Onofrio joins in.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sometimes I think of the reasonable feminists and SJWs (they must exist)
I think they are some who we know who are more reasonable than others, but they still have to toe the party line because otherwise the crazier assholes are going to "shame them".

Ophelia Benson was rather reasonable about Charlie Hebdo.

I've talked with Aratina on Twitter and he's reasonable most of the time.

Ashely Miller and Miri sometimes get something right, although Miri is a little too obsessed with how people treat her and what they think of her and should probably learn not to give a fuck.

Ally Fogg was a decent guy before the "equality isn't enough" breakdown.

Even Peezus exhibits flashes of reasonableness from time to time. Canuck stumbles on skepticism occasionally.

The problem is that every time they start to approach a problem in a potentially heretical way the Holy Inquisitors are ready to crack their whip and get them in line, and most of them don't have the spine to stand up and tell them to fuck off.

Despicable people like Amanda Marcotte, Melissa Mc Ewan or Stephanie Zvan are the real gatekeepers of the FTB flavor of SJW-dom. They use their victim points to excuse a torrent of verbal abuse that preys on the fear of the SJWs of being a "bad person". Because when you've devoted so much time and effort to being a perfect ally you cling on your status no matter how much how you have to suffer. The alternative is to be ostracized and cast out as a leper, and when all your friends are SJWs that's a terrifying perspective.

Look at Joss Whedon: good writer and director, successful, but so afraid of losing his "ally" badge (since that's what he's famous for in Hollywood) that he'd rather shut up than tell the crazy trans activists to fuck off.

The trans activists are the worst, IMHO. I've got nothing against people who want to live their lives as a member of a gender which wasn't the one they were born with: it's your life, you're human beings and have the right to find happiness the way you like it. I can understand fearing for your life and wanting protection. I can understand not wanting to be seen only as the bottom of a joke, or as "trapping" other people.

However you can't just demand that the world changes to accommodate for you. People are going to see dicks and think you're a dude (or vaginas and think you're a chick), because biologically you ARE a dude (or a chick). If you're attracted to men and have a dick you need to find men who are attracted to feminine men with dicks, and it's pointless of you to demand that straight dudes find you attractive. They won't.

Also, if you write "Die cis scum", cis people are going to think you're a loon. If you get angry and yell at people who misgender you, they're not going to be very likely to be accommodating to you next time. If you want people to call you the right pronouns it helps to be kind about it and to forgive occasional mistakes.

In general I think that call out culture, "naming and shaming" and the use of an always angry and aggressive tone hurt your cause a lot, whatever your cause is. If you're really interesting in making the world a kinder, more accepting place, you have to learn to be kind and accepting yourself. If you're only interested in venting and moaning and feeling superior to others you're not going to get anything but clickbait articles, assorted loons, masochistic folks who want to be holier than thou, and scammers who game the SJW system to get money (Sarky and Mac, Peter Coffin) or tail (Tricky Dicky, Hugo Schwyzer).

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

James Caruthers wrote:Go watch Aurini's response to Tommy Sotomeyor.

[youtube]t4AcWFogD60[/youtube]

Seriously, WATCH THIS SHIT.

He is fucking insane.
Someone asked the other day if Jordan Owen is lolworthy. He is working with Aurini on a biopic about Snarkessian.

YMMV.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

James Caruthers wrote:
Really? wrote:[youtube]PM2tLZlCnKU[/youtube]

I don't get it. We were JUST told that "drunken convention sex" was not only a good thing, but an important way to get people involved in the movement. Now drunken convention sex is a no no.
Notice how carefully Jenny conceals Carrier's own thunderfoot-like escapades while at the same time condemning thunderfoot as an evil drunk sex maniac rapist. That, to me, is the mark of dishonesty and party politics. Pretty disgusting.

I could at least have respected her position if she had admitted that Carrier's behavior is equally as reprehensible to her drunk-sex-shaming morals as Thunderfoot's.
Indeed.
I think you can make a case that sex with strangers who have been drinking is not a good idea but that doesn't simply condemn Thunderf00t. It also condemns Carrier and Rebecca Watson (remember her sex story about the guy she kicked out of bed - that also involved drunken sex.)
A much better case can be made that you should avoid drunken sex with strangers because some of them are crazy- and you should never have sex with a crazy person.

She was very careful to avoid mentioning Carriers words about drinking and sex and also avoided mentioning Shermers denial that Smith was too drunk to consent. She also switched from 'alleged rape' to 'rapist' without pointing out there is no evidence for any of this other than Smiths words.
You could easily do the same thing with PZ Myers rape accusation.

The rest of her video was weak tone trolling about the 'movement''

Fuck the Atheist 'Movement'
There is no emphasis on building up an atheist 'Movement' in countries outside the US.
For example, there is very high levels of atheism in places like England, Sweden and France. And yet this has been achieved in the absence of an atheist 'Movement' in those countries.
Atheism transcends class and political boundaries in Europe. It makes no sense to try to link it with any single political grouping - and absolute madness to link it to extreme leftist identity politics.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Atheism transcends class and political boundaries in Europe. It makes no sense to try to link it with any single political grouping - and absolute madness to link it to extreme leftist identity politics.
Standard Hipster SJW answer:

"Europe is Shitlord Land. It's so full of white males.

The US are Shitlord Land, too, but Portland is a safe space. We're all transblack genderqueer lesbians there, like our friend in the UK, Godfrey Elfwick."

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

James Caruthers wrote:Yeah, I think I'm gonna go dig a Hoegaarden out now that I've finished this Konig.

All you alcoholics are gonna have to avoid the triggers.

I've tried the darker german beers (Hell, Dunkel, etc) and they always seem disappointing compared to the pure wheat beers.

Oh! There's this one really damn weird beer called Schofferhoffer...

Well, this thing:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schofferho ... uit/71458/

It's maybe 3% so not even a beer, but it tastes like a delicious wheat beer mixed with grapefruit juice. On a hot day, I can't imagine anything better.
You drinkers and your alcohol privilege! You should put up trigger warnings not only for alcoholics, but also for us poor genetically-can't-handle-much-booze types too, please.

You oppress me because I have never had a hangover, never had a buzz from booze stronger than the tipsy point because I throw it up instead of absorb it if I drink even slightly too much, I hate the taste/smell of alcohol while you oppressors make me smell it on you in the subways, and, *sniff*, I'm the only person on the planet who has never been drunk-'raped'. SOB! I. can't. even.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Keating wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
This, a thousand times this!
It does means I don't ever wake up next to Dr Richard Carrier PhD wondering what the hell happened.
Have you ever had your genes looked at by 23andme? There are two genetic thingies that can cause an aversion to alcohol and getting sick instead of drunk. I don't have the one they test for, but I figure I probably have the other one that they don't test for. Either that or my olfactory dislike of the taste/smell is just too strong. I can even smell vodka.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Keating wrote:It does means I don't ever wake up next to Dr Richard Carrier PhD wondering what the hell happened.
Have you ever had your genes looked at by 23andme? There are two genetic thingies that can cause an aversion to alcohol and getting sick instead of drunk. I don't have the one they test for, but I figure I probably have the other one that they don't test for. Either that or my olfactory dislike of the taste/smell is just too strong. I can even smell vodka.
I have a friend who says he hates the taste of alcohol.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube]k5dgSi4_Sfk[/youtube]

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

James Caruthers wrote:Aurini makes me think of that political cartoon.

Sometimes I think of the reasonable feminists and SJWs (they must exist) .....
Yeah, James, I think they do, or at least that there are reasonable starting points for SJW ism.

For example, it's true that men find women to be less physically imposing in public spaces than other men, and that therefore, in general, men will respect their bodily space less. Most men are civil, and empathetic and have overcome this, but some men haven't and are easy to spot. Also, there is a 'culture' around this in that the inconsiderate types tend to reinforce each other's behaviour.

My right to have a loud, drunken animated conversation with my equally drunk and idiotic friend supersedes your right to a peaceful train journey. And I enjoy making you realise this !

It's not unreasonable that an empathetic man who has noticed this boorish behaviour will not only be annoyed and sympathetic to others who are annoyed, but will seek to challenge the macho culture in some way. It's when the challenging of this culture becomes too much of a mission that the pull of SJWism begins to apply. Once you start seeing the macho culture everywhere, and once you start seeing anybody with even a slightly different viewpoint as an apologist for it, then you're well on the way to becoming McIntosh.

Like much in life, it's limits.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just watched "Primer" - time travel flick.

Indie movie made for $7000. Excellent. Described as the most complicated SciFi

I kid you not, this is the explainatory flow diagram.

No I didn't do it!

http://i.imgur.com/mRGzUXV.jpg

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Skep tickle wrote:h/t @CHSommers: http://www.piedpiper.com/blog/2015/5/5/ ... ent-policy
Pied Piper will, of course, have zero tolerance for harassment based on gender, race, sexuality, religion or lack thereof, class, trans status or ableness. Pied Piper will also of course not merely prohibit harassment that is direct and public but also less direct harassment that creates a hostile workplace. But furthermore, Pied Piper will join the cutting edge of the harassment-detection industry in forbidding microaggressions, nanoaggresions, picoaggressions, yoctoaggressions and all such oppression “particles,” if you will, down to the quantum level.

Pied Piper additionally forbids man-splaining, white-splaining, straight-splaining, cis-splaining, able-splaining, splain-splaining, splain-plaining, splain-shaming and, in general, saying things people doesn’t like. Discussion or possession of the Kurt Vonnegut short story “Harrison Bergeron” will be grounds for immediate termination.

Next Tuesday, I will lead a harassment workshop, “Understanding Why What You’re Saying Is Terrible.” There will be cupcakes.
Dang, rules me out. (Harrison Bergeron, of course, being a cautionary tale about equality of outcome)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

[youtube]PM2tLZlCnKU[/youtube]

The maker of that video, Jenny McDermott seems to be trolling either that or so incapable of seeing the problem that she is a lost cause to reason.

Just look at the rest of her videos - for example the following - 10 reasons why you should have sex with MRAs

[youtube]lQynajrh3S8[/youtube]

It's basically a way for her to insult them by calling them smelly mono-browed neckbeards who live in their moms basement and who love Hitler!
She makes even Rebecca Watson seem like an intellectual in comparison!

Keating

Post by Keating »

Scented Nectar wrote:Have you ever had your genes looked at by 23andme? There are two genetic thingies that can cause an aversion to alcohol and getting sick instead of drunk. I don't have the one they test for, but I figure I probably have the other one that they don't test for. Either that or my olfactory dislike of the taste/smell is just too strong. I can even smell vodka.
I don't have a problem with the taste of alcohol; it puts me to sleep more than anything. Although, at the risk of doxxing myself, I do have one pretty rare condition with alcohol. Some brands of beer and wine I've had cause my teeth to clench and then throbbing pain in my gums within a few minutes of drinking. Chewing eases it, so it's usually fine if I'm eating as well, but it's another reason for me to not enjoy it too much. Neither of my parents have this condition, and no doctor or dentist seems to have ever encountered it. It's not all beer and wine, just some brands, so it's probably a common ingredient I've yet to identify.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:Caine/Inaji/Skaya said half here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -of-color/

I can't look for any more at the moment because FTB is a pile of shit and keeps crashing my browser.
Yikes, that's a wankfest of people apologising for using quotes around "Indians":

Can't we just call them 'people who lived in America before we slaughtered them'?
Do you know that the current historical consensus is that somewhere around 90% most of them actually died off from diseases that spread among them from first contact with white settlers? One of the biggest historical puzzles, to the people of those days, was why America was sparsely populated. And where did all those ruins (mound builders, abandoned villages & grave sites, etc.) come from since there were no people around?

In fact Mormonism actually grabbed onto the mounds as evidence of the ruins of an ancient Jewish settlement described in the Book of Mormon:
Now the Nephites were a civilized, industrious people... whereas the Lamanites became an idle, savage, and vicious people delighting in war and bloodshed... Therefore the Nephites had to prepare themselves for self defence which they did by fortifying their cities and casting up banks of earth round about their armies, and sometimes building walls of stone to encircle them about, which accounts for the numerous fortifications and works of defence found so profusely scattered over this land [North America]. And when the people of these nations became numerous they had extensive wars; in some battles thousands were slain who were piled up in heaps upon the face of the land and then earth thrown upon them, and this accounts for the numerous mounds and tumuli found in this country [North America].
When, in reality, they'd been thriving Indian villages that were later wiped out from diseases brought to them DeSoto, Narvaez and, later, Coronado.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Dick Strawkins wrote:The maker of that video, Jenny McDermott seems to be trolling either that or so incapable of seeing the problem that she is a lost cause to reason.

Just look at the rest of her videos - for example the following - 10 reasons why you should have sex with MRAs
Yeah, she seems like the Jordan Owen of feminism.

It does seem like such a strong divide, that's fairly common across so many areas, that I'm wondering if it's something that can be predicted with a brain scan.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Brive1987 wrote:Just watched "Primer" - time travel flick.

Indie movie made for $7000. Excellent. Described as the most complicated SciFi
Yeah it hurt my brain.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Kirbmarc wrote:Caine is probably just as Native American as this guy:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010 ... enshot.png

What, you think Chief Espera Oscar de Corti was not 100% First Peoples?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sometimes I think of the reasonable feminists and SJWs (they must exist)
I think they are some who we know who are more reasonable than others, but they still have to toe the party line because otherwise the crazier assholes are going to "shame them".

Ophelia Benson was rather reasonable about Charlie Hebdo.

I've talked with Aratina on Twitter and he's reasonable most of the time.

Ashely Miller and Miri sometimes get something right, although Miri is a little too obsessed with how people treat her and what they think of her and should probably learn not to give a fuck.

Ally Fogg was a decent guy before the "equality isn't enough" breakdown.

Even Peezus exhibits flashes of reasonableness from time to time. Canuck stumbles on skepticism occasionally.
I've seen this. I find it strange. It's like, every now and then, the patina of SJW cracks and you see something reasonable. Then they're back on the crazy-train saying the dumbest, reactionary crap.
The problem is that every time they start to approach a problem in a potentially heretical way the Holy Inquisitors are ready to crack their whip and get them in line, and most of them don't have the spine to stand up and tell them to fuck off.
Yeah, Myers and the bunnies is a perfect example. The cartoon was fine when it was bashing the religious (its intent). But once the Feminists decided it was bashing womyn, it was a BAD cartoon. And even though he pushed back a little bit, he did make sure he re-affirmed all the basic third-wave feminist talking points in his 'push-back.'
Despicable people like Amanda Marcotte, Melissa Mc Ewan or Stephanie Zvan are the real gatekeepers of the FTB flavor of SJW-dom. They use their victim points to excuse a torrent of verbal abuse that preys on the fear of the SJWs of being a "bad person". Because when you've devoted so much time and effort to being a perfect ally you cling on your status no matter how much how you have to suffer. The alternative is to be ostracized and cast out as a leper, and when all your friends are SJWs that's a terrifying perspective.
Like all moral crusades, it really is a small group of excessively noisy people that keeps it going in the direction they wish it go. And since they've done a great job in bullying and demonizing anyone who doesn't toe-the-line, they do keep the rest of the sheep, who may not be quite as enthusiastic or zealous, in line and spewing the party rhetoric.
Look at Joss Whedon: good writer and director, successful, but so afraid of losing his "ally" badge (since that's what he's famous for in Hollywood) that he'd rather shut up than tell the crazy trans activists to fuck off.
I never understood how he became an 'ally' or recognized as a 'feminist.' I thought Thunderf00t did a great job in this video in showing how so many of Whedon's female characters demonstrate all the 'feminist tropes proving misogyny:'

[youtube]57tXyqPCOCM[/youtube]

The trans activists are the worst, IMHO. I've got nothing against people who want to live their lives as a member of a gender which wasn't the one they were born with: it's your life, you're human beings and have the right to find happiness the way you like it. I can understand fearing for your life and wanting protection. I can understand not wanting to be seen only as the bottom of a joke, or as "trapping" other people.

However you can't just demand that the world changes to accommodate for you. People are going to see dicks and think you're a dude (or vaginas and think you're a chick), because biologically you ARE a dude (or a chick). If you're attracted to men and have a dick you need to find men who are attracted to feminine men with dicks, and it's pointless of you to demand that straight dudes find you attractive. They won't.

Also, if you write "Die cis scum", cis people are going to think you're a loon. If you get angry and yell at people who misgender you, they're not going to be very likely to be accommodating to you next time. If you want people to call you the right pronouns it helps to be kind about it and to forgive occasional mistakes.

In general I think that call out culture, "naming and shaming" and the use of an always angry and aggressive tone hurt your cause a lot, whatever your cause is. If you're really interesting in making the world a kinder, more accepting place, you have to learn to be kind and accepting yourself. If you're only interested in venting and moaning and feeling superior to others you're not going to get anything but clickbait articles, assorted loons, masochistic folks who want to be holier than thou, and scammers who game the SJW system to get money (Sarky and Mac, Peter Coffin) or tail (Tricky Dicky, Hugo Schwyzer).
Pretty much. Add Chu to the list.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Keating wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Have you ever had your genes looked at by 23andme? There are two genetic thingies that can cause an aversion to alcohol and getting sick instead of drunk. I don't have the one they test for, but I figure I probably have the other one that they don't test for. Either that or my olfactory dislike of the taste/smell is just too strong. I can even smell vodka.
I don't have a problem with the taste of alcohol; it puts me to sleep more than anything. Although, at the risk of doxxing myself, I do have one pretty rare condition with alcohol. Some brands of beer and wine I've had cause my teeth to clench and then throbbing pain in my gums within a few minutes of drinking. Chewing eases it, so it's usually fine if I'm eating as well, but it's another reason for me to not enjoy it too much. Neither of my parents have this condition, and no doctor or dentist seems to have ever encountered it. It's not all beer and wine, just some brands, so it's probably a common ingredient I've yet to identify.
I have an LPT allergy. Which is not that uncommon, though mine is much stronger than average, so I can't drink red-wine without vomiting later.

This is a nice article on wine/alcohol allergies. It mentions the LPT allergy. But it also talks about other things that may, or may not, apply to you:

http://www.prevention.com/health/health ... ergic-wine
Wine contains proteins from grapes, bacteria, and yeast, as well as sulfites and other organic compounds. Any one of those components—which are also found in beer and hard liquor—can cause an allergic-like reaction, says Decker. But red wine is the most likely to cause the unhappy allergic reaction: A specific type of protein allergen called “LTP” is found in the skins of the grapes (white wine is fermented without the grape skins).
I can drink white wine. I can even tolerate wines with a bit of blush to them, like 'white' Zinfandel. But a straight red-wine, like Burgandy, unless I cook it (which breaks down what I'm allergic to), will have me hurling in a few hours.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

[youtube]Tnmy8DbZXac[/youtube]

Where Watson makes a surprise guest showing on SGU - 10 mins on a 10 hour podcast.
Where Watson spends the rest if the video talking about her new bird feeder.
That is apart from the ominous news that she is writing a thousand words a day for her new book.

me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote:[youtube]Tnmy8DbZXac[/youtube]

Where Watson makes a surprise guest showing on SGU - 10 mins on a 10 hour podcast.
That is apart from the ominous news that she is writing a thousand words a day for her new book.

me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,
It's a kink, isn't it? A kind of very insipid, mild form of masochism, where people actually pay someone to talk some very boring, half-assed shit at them for a few minutes.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

To be fair to the world, her hundreds of patrons only managed 25 views of the video when I first took a look this evening.

It was released last Wednesday.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:The trans activists are the worst, IMHO. I've got nothing against people who want to live their lives as a member of a gender which wasn't the one they were born with: it's your life, you're human beings and have the right to find happiness the way you like it. I can understand fearing for your life and wanting protection. I can understand not wanting to be seen only as the bottom of a joke, or as "trapping" other people.
I don't get this. I've been told only 0.3% of the population is transsexual/gender/whatever, and I somehow suspect the majority of them just want to get on with their lives after their decision to live on as the other sex, operated or not. Now even if a third of them became Twitter SJW activists, that would account for 0.1% of all people.

How come, then, that they seem to occupy all social media?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I'd have thought if she was going to do Podcasts for money, she might do something interesting. I don't know, maybe explain something interesting like an interesting take on a small science controversy we don't get in a main-stream news feed.

But obviously that'd take work. And one thing I think most of us have realized over the years is that Watson will always take the easiest path.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

feathers wrote:I don't get this. I've been told only 0.3% of the population is transsexual/gender/whatever, and I somehow suspect the majority of them just want to get on with their lives after their decision to live on as the other sex, operated or not. Now even if a third of them became Twitter SJW activists, that would account for 0.1% of all people.

How come, then, that they seem to occupy all social media?
In addition to people with confirmed diagnoses and/or those having undergone sex reassignment surgery, you've got the almost exclusively SJ trans people who just claim the label and don't have any desire to get surgery or even take hormones.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:I need whiskey recommendations. Anyone got any? Been thinking about expanding beyond Evan Williams and Black Velvet. : DDD
Bulleit Bourbon, and Eagle Rare are a couple of my faves. Worth a look if you like bourbon. I'll second Parsehole on the Ardbeg recommendation, but Laphroaig is another scotch worth checking out if you've got $50 to blow.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Old_ones wrote:
Bulleit Bourbon, and Eagle Rare are a couple of my faves. Worth a look if you like bourbon. I'll second Parsehole on the Ardbeg recommendation, but Laphroaig is another scotch worth checking out if you've got $50 to blow.
There's some really nice Japanese malts on the market these days. I have a bottle of 12 years aged Yamazaki thats really smooth.

Herbie Versmels

Post by Herbie Versmels »

Has this story been discussed here yet?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... n-30921146

Herbie Versmels

Post by Herbie Versmels »

Herbie Versmels wrote:Has this story been discussed here yet?

Reminds me a lot of the Shermer fiasco
The filing points out that Kinsman chose to leave the bar and didn't object in the taxi or when they got out.

It said Kinsman, afterward, rode on Winston's motorscooter with "her arms wrapped around Mr. Winston's waist."

"Ms. Kinsman got off the scooter, gave Mr. Winston a hug, and walked ... to her dormitory," it said.

The filing said she made no call to 911 and didn't call or text family or friends to tell them what happened. "Kinsman admits that she had access to her phone, but she did not use it to call for aid," it said.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Herbie Versmels wrote:

Reminds me a lot of the Shermer fiasco
The filing points out that Kinsman chose to leave the bar and didn't object in the taxi or when they got out.

It said Kinsman, afterward, rode on Winston's motorscooter with "her arms wrapped around Mr. Winston's waist."

"Ms. Kinsman got off the scooter, gave Mr. Winston a hug, and walked ... to her dormitory," it said.

The filing said she made no call to 911 and didn't call or text family or friends to tell them what happened. "Kinsman admits that she had access to her phone, but she did not use it to call for aid," it said.

I am a big college football fan and I have kinda follow this story. To be honest I don't know what to believe. There is a lot of shit that seems to be happening around Florida State in recent years. Unlike the Shermer case, this is going to go to court so in the future we may have a clearer idea on this.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Btw, today it's one month ago Melody got her US$ 2041. I wonder what kind of camera she's bought.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:[.youtube]Tnmy8DbZXac[/youtube]

I'd have thought if she was going to do Podcasts for money, she might do something interesting. I don't know, maybe explain something interesting like an interesting take on a small science controversy we don't get in a main-stream news feed.

But obviously that'd take work. And one thing I think most of us have realized over the years is that Watson will always take the easiest path.
But this is one of the short videos that she (now) offers as a bonus for Patreons at the $3 level & above, not the output for which her patrons are charged:

https://www.patreon.com/rebecca
$3/video — An extra video every week, just for you!
Every Wednesday, I record a bonus vloggy video full of secrets and amusing stories that is only available to patrons!
That latest "bonus vloggy video" is presumably the hidden entry from May 6 on this page; her actual last Patreon-supported video was the one from the last day of April: https://www.patreon.com/rebecca?ty=c

The casual update-about-random-stuff probably meets patron expectations, for its purpose.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

So it sounds like there are at least 3 publications in preparation from the SJW side of A/S:

Heina Dadabhoy's book

Rebecca Watson's book (see recent bonus vloggy video update & one of the ones in the past few weeks)

Secular social justice anthology being planned at Atheism Plus Forum (Plans are underway now for release of volume 1 in early 2016, with anticipation that volume 2 will follow in early 2017)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

No. Ray McDonald (ex-49er, now a Bear) has filed a defamation suit over a false rape accusation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.2151381

The sad thing about McDonald was he had a crazy finance who was just total trouble. She was abusive, she allegedly got a gun and shot at him during an argument which he stupidly hushed up and refused to press charges over. There were some other incidents. All of which were spun by certain parts of the press (but not all) as he was a bad, toxic, abusive male.

Yet when you actually read what happened in the non-sensationalized accounts, the only thing I got out of all the stories was that, at worst, it was a mutual thing and there was a very good possibility that his fiance might have had a few screws loose, but it was hard to tell one-way or another. But the white-knighting/pussy-passers would have nothing to do with women are just as fucked up as men and are just as likely to initiate IPV as men so he was crucified.

Then came the rape accusation and he got released from the 49ers for 'his bad conduct.' No trial. No investigation. Nothing. Just a knee-jerk reaction because of the Ray Rice incident earlier in the year which therefore seemed to mean, from a PR standpoint, that the teams had to punish the players immediately on the false premise that all accusations were true...

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

She is also a tool...

... of the patriarchy for calling that hummingbird "he" and "him" without doing a proper intersectional analysis before misgendering and erasing its flapped experience.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

In addition to people with confirmed diagnoses and/or those having undergone sex reassignment surgery, you've got the almost exclusively SJ trans people who just claim the label and don't have any desire to get surgery or even take hormones.
Basically the real life Godfrey Elfwicks. Or him:

[youtube]qCTbFN0EsDM[/youtube]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

rayshul wrote:I have met like two native Americans and both were white and ginger, oddly enough. Not full native americans but 1/4, I think.
It's not impossible. If one parent was half-Indian/ginger and the other was at least half-ginger there's a 1-in-4 shot of a ginger. Or there could even be multiple mixed-ethnicity grandparents even further upstream which can have, on rare occasions, some really strange mixes (like black people with green or blue eyes or naturally blond hair).

But that's the limited factual situation Caine has presented about herself. So even though, in theory, Caine-the-phony Indian could work that way by having multiple half-breed ancestors up-and-down the genetic tree that's not her story.

Her story, or at least one of them, was about having an Indian (Lakota) mother and a white father (hence here Anglo name) who, for whatever reasons, lived in Los Angeles. It's also contradicted by her earlier representations where she had no Indian blood at all and was some kind of Euro-mutt. And we have the every-changing stories that have had her morphing, over the years, to a half-Indian despite failing (by her own description) to bear the obvious DOMINANT GENETIC TRAITS of her ethnic Native American inheritance.

The story just stinks all the way through and I don't buy off on it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

h/t Razib Khan
[youtube]Xz7AtVkjdmk[/youtube]
Published on May 6, 2015

Julia describes a feature of Richard Dawkins that she likes and wishes were more common.

TRANSCRIPT:
So I met Richard Dawkins for the first time a couple months ago, in Antwerp, Belgium. I was moderating a discussion between Richard and Lawrence Krauss, about lot of things -- science and religion, basically.

I got to chat a fair amount with Richard both during the event and also the night before, and I really enjoyed talking to him. Which might not sound surprising. But I meet a lot of very smart, very well-educated, very eloquent people. And there was something relatively unique about conversation with Richard that I really appreciated.

I was was trying to put my finger on what it was, and I think I've pinned it down. Basically, Richard would bring up topics of conversation not because he had a a well-articulated, definitive opinion that he wanted to share about that topic, but because he thought it was interesting. And he didn't yet know what he thought about it.

So just for example, we ended up on the topic of communication styles. And he noted, with a hint of curiosity in his voice, that it actually comes across as kind of aggressive, or confrontational when someone speaks very clearly and to the point, without adding a lot of qualifying phrases and statements around their point.

And he mused aloud, "I wonder why that is? Why would that be?" And we thought about it together.

And I think that's very rare. Most people -- even intellectually curious people -- in conversation, will make points that they've basically already thought about, already decided how they feel about. And it's actually quite rare for someone to introduce topics of conversation and want to just figure it out together, on the spot.

I do this sometimes. I think I I don't do it as much as I should. And I've seen sometimes other people do it. But it's rarer than I'd like it to be.

So I just wanted to highlight this really nice feature of conversation, and of thought -- thinking on-the-spot, being curious in conversation, instead of trying to share your cached thoughts.

(Read more about me at http://juliagalef.com)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I never understood how he became an 'ally' or recognized as a 'feminist.'
Buffy. Whedon created a show which was about a young woman fighting monsters and subverting horror tropes along the way. People loved it. He was good at writing witty dialogue and good characters.

My generation grew up with Buffy and Xena as examples of "girl power" (I liked both shows, although they were far from perfect). Lesbians also liked the pseudo-lesbian relationship between Xena and her girl sidekick and the real lesbian relationship Willow and her annoying girlfriend.

Whedon was big on gay right back when gay rights weren't as mainstream as today: that's why he introduced a paper-thin character which he clearly wrote in just to portray a lesbian relationship on screen and that was killed in a unceremonious matter when he realized he didn't have enough material to make her into something more interesting.

Whedon is also an outspoken atheist and feminist in his private life. He belongs to a part of feminism that was more about empowering women than protecting them like precious snowflakes. He's more of a second-wave feminist than a third wave. His feminism was (and is) less insane than FemFreq's (or better yet MacIntosh's) Dworkin-based insanity: he was (and still is) pro-sex work, pro-porn, pro-hookups in college, pro-violent video games, pro-horror, pro-freedom of speech and creative freedom, etc.

Just like many second-wave feminists Whedon is now under the unrelenting fire of the most deranged SJWs. Anita knows he's too big of a name to turn him into an enemy (plus he's now pretty rich thanks to the success of the Avengers) but the most stupid SJWs have turned their intellectual artillery onto him. Since he has no spine to tell them that they're crazy and potentially alienate some of his precious followers and parts of his audience he simply preferred to leave Twitter.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Joss Whedon wrote:Every breed of feminism is attacking every other breed, and every sub-section of liberalism is always busy attacking another sub-section of liberalism, because god forbid they should all band together and actually fight for the cause,”
Joss, I say it as a fan: you need to understand that there is no common cause to fight for between reasonable progressive people and the batshit insane SJWs. Not because there aren't issue where they both agree, but because the SJWs have no cause to fight for other than feeling holier than thou.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:Just like many second-wave feminists Whedon is now under the unrelenting fire of the most deranged SJWs. Anita knows he's too big of a name to turn him into an enemy (plus he's now pretty rich thanks to the success of the Avengers) but the most stupid SJWs have turned their intellectual artillery onto him. Since he has no spine to tell them that they're crazy and potentially alienate some of his precious followers and parts of his audience he simply preferred to leave Twitter.
I wouldn't call it lack of spine so much as it is a smart financial move. He has nothing to gain from telling them they are wrong. Heck, many of his fans are already doing so.

Worst case scenario for him walking away, is that the public has a positive image of him and think he was attacked by some crazy feminists. Had he stuck around long enough yapping his jaw, they may have found something significant enough to tar and feather him with.

People like him have to deal with flack from special interest groups, or comic fans raging about this or that in the movie. It has to be like water off a duck's back.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Old_ones wrote:
I would recommend Balvenie Doublewood, and if you really want to treat yourself Balvenie Portwoodbut in the US I believe it is @$120 but worth every cent in my opinion

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
I never understood how he became an 'ally' or recognized as a 'feminist.'
Buffy. Whedon created a show which was about a young woman fighting monsters and subverting horror tropes along the way. People loved it. He was good at writing witty dialogue and good characters.

My generation grew up with Buffy and Xena as examples of "girl power" (I liked both shows, although they were far from perfect). Lesbians also liked the pseudo-lesbian relationship between Xena and her girl sidekick and the real lesbian relationship Willow and her annoying girlfriend.

Whedon was big on gay right back when gay rights weren't as mainstream as today: that's why he introduced a paper-thin character which he clearly wrote in just to portray a lesbian relationship on screen and that was killed in a unceremonious matter when he realized he didn't have enough material to make her into something more interesting.

Whedon is also an outspoken atheist and feminist in his private life. He belongs to a part of feminism that was more about empowering women than protecting them like precious snowflakes. He's more of a second-wave feminist than a third wave. His feminism was (and is) less insane than FemFreq's (or better yet MacIntosh's) Dworkin-based insanity: he was (and still is) pro-sex work, pro-porn, pro-hookups in college, pro-violent video games, pro-horror, pro-freedom of speech and creative freedom, etc.

Just like many second-wave feminists Whedon is now under the unrelenting fire of the most deranged SJWs. Anita knows he's too big of a name to turn him into an enemy (plus he's now pretty rich thanks to the success of the Avengers) but the most stupid SJWs have turned their intellectual artillery onto him. Since he has no spine to tell them that they're crazy and potentially alienate some of his precious followers and parts of his audience he simply preferred to leave Twitter.

That is a pretty good assessment. Whedon know how to write good female characters, something a lot of men just can not do. He is also good a teenagers. I think Joss Whedon may be 16 year old girl kin.

Really?

Post by Really? »

I was checking out the comments on the hilarious porn reading of Carrier's essay and I found this very interesting exchange:

xxxild 4 days ago
None of the local girlfriends are available for the middle of May? Hmmm. Something seems off. Also, I find nothing unusual about his willingness to date sex workers, but for the fact he specifically mentions them. That is just strange, to me. Maybe there's an explanation...
Reply · 3
Hide replies

JD Kain 3 days ago
The explanation is usually that it's bullshit or a quote-mine, but who knows?
Reply ·

xxxild 3 days ago
+JD Kain Vernaculis has read directly from Carrier's blog. I don't see a reason why a sex worker or former sex worker wouldn't be among the pool of women looking to date him, however, I guess. I'd be suspect of his putting us into a distinct group in his head unless he was looking to pay. And I note he is not.
Reply · 2

oguns iron 3 days ago
+xxxild i guess he expects current or former sex workers to be kinkier and less jealous.
Reply ·

xxxild 3 days ago
+oguns iron
Hmmm. I wouldn't tell him jack sh-t about my private life with clients, personally. He seems to lack boundaries and is untrustworthy. At least as a spouse he was.
Reply · 1

oguns iron 2 days ago
+xxxild oh yah he is slimy and a very low grade human, for sure. I know him for his involvement in the atheism+ disaster,
I love that JD Kain assumes Vernaculis was quote mining even though he was reading the essay word-for-word.

So it seems that xxxild is a sex worker. It's interesting that in his zeal to get laid, Carrier never thought about a few important aspects of his plan.

He wants a prostitute to tell him all about her clients. BUt that's really shitty for her customers. These men are putting some kind of confidence in her. I suppose a prostitute could be like a doctor in this case. It's one think to come home and sigh and say, "I popped the biggest ass polyp today. Where's the wine?" It's quite another thing to get drunk, undress your spouse and to go through the ass polyp story detail by detail to get the spouse horny.

XXXild seems like a very decent human being from this exchange. More importantly, she seems like a prostitute who actually cares about doing a good job. Highly recommended. Carrier, of course, seems like even more of a hypocritical, lying piece of shit who only cares about his average caucasian cock. He doesn't want to pay a woman for her work. He's untrustworthy and wants people to violate the confidences they should keep.

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Does Carrier expect this prospective date to pay for the hotel?

Really?

Post by Really? »

subbie1957 wrote:Does Carrier expect this prospective date to pay for the hotel?
Nope. Carrier's a gentleman:
This also means you don’t have to live in the LA area to join me for this. If you can get to LA, and don’t mind sharing a room (at my expense), the opportunity remains.
So all you have to do is send him a picture to address the "information disparity" and if he swipes right, you're allowed to meet him in a hotel room in the LA area with no expectation of sex at all. But he will have plenty of whiskey and wine. But you don't have to drink it. You don't have to be a sex worker. But it would be nice.