Guest wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Parlkife.
:clap:

Dick Strawkins

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: How many years has the special flower had PTSD?

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/mhens.jpg
I swear, if you wrote Hensley as a character, your editor would tell you to not be so lazy and try and create something less utterly ridiculous.
http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploa ... .36.26.png

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Battening down the hatches in anticipation of the SJ wave of revulsion re Ferguson shootings.

No-one should feel like they have to carry the burden of being a "shooter of police"

Ask not for whom the siren sounds. It sounds for us all.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Benson says "One of the things punishments should be is proportional."

Unless of course it's a joke being made against an ally.

Then career destruction is the only reasonable response.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I've found a very handy website to download full Youtube videos. I've grabbed a few documentaries on the Apollo 11 and 12 missions already.

http://en.savefrom.net/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BTW, I've just watched Sunshine, and I really liked it. Well done!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

deLurch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:She's probably also not going to bother telling the photo subjects that she's selling prints of them in return for money.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_release
Melody doesn't think things through. She is selling prints for money, not just putting them on her "fashion" blog, which is commercial trade and her main source of income for the project. Publishing on the internet is still up in the air without firm rules yet, but selling them for money is quite settled. And she's going to need to proper releases, including informing the models that she plans to sell prints.

My boldings:
Wiki Article wrote:A model release, known in similar contexts as a liability waiver, is a legal release typically signed by the subject of a photograph granting permission to publish the photograph in one form or another. The legal rights of the signatories in reference to the material is thereafter subject to the allowances and restrictions stated in the release, and also possibly in exchange for compensation paid to the photographed.

No release is required for publication, as news, of a photo taken of an identifiable person when the person is in a public place. In general, no release is required for publication of a photo taken of an identifiable person when the person is in a public space unless the use is for trade or direct commercial use, which is defined as promoting a product, service, or idea.[1] Publication of a photo of an identifiable person, even if taken when the person is in a public place, for commercial use, without a model release signed by that person, can result in civil liability for whoever publishes the photograph.[2]

Note that no model release is needed for the act of taking the photograph. Rather, if needed, the model release applies to the publication of the photograph. Liability rests solely with the publisher, except under special conditions. The photographer is typically not the publisher of the photograph, but usually licenses the photograph to someone else to publish. It is typical for the photographer to obtain the model release because he is merely present at the time and can get it, but also because it gives him more opportunity to license the photograph later to a party who wishes to publish it. Nevertheless, unless a photo is actually published, no model release is required.

Note that the issue of model release forms and liability waivers is a legal area related to privacy and is separate from copyright. Also, the need for model releases pertains to public use of the photos: i.e., publishing them, commercially or not. The act of taking a photo of someone in a public setting without a model release, or of viewing or non-commercially showing such a photo in private, generally does not create legal exposure, at least in the United States.

The legal issues surrounding model releases are complex and vary by jurisdiction. Although the risk to photographers is virtually nil (so long as proper disclosures of the existence of a release, and its content is made to whoever licenses the photo for publication), the business need for having releases rises substantially if the main source of income from the photographer's work lies within industries that would require them (such as advertising). In short, photo journalists almost never need to obtain model releases for images they shoot for (or sell to) news or qualified editorial publications.

Photographers who also publish images need releases to protect themselves, but there is a distinction between making an image available for sale (even via a website), which is not considered publication in a form that would require a release, and the use of the same image to promote a product or service in a way that would require a release. Whether or not publishing a photo via the internet requires a release is currently[when?] being debated in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. It is likely that any and all exposure to the public of unreleased photos via any vehicle will constitute civil liability for the photographer.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Brive1987 wrote:SM buttons new on FtB?

http://i.imgur.com/lbOl01M.jpg
I first read that and thought Whaaaat? Maybe on Greta's site, but the others too? And then I realized that you meant "Social Media"
:lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Nerd is surely trolling us.

"Xem" and "Xey", coming so soon after I mocked his "Xeir"?

This fucker is a genius.

http://i.imgur.com/I8wryYe.png
But 'they', 'them', and 'their' are already genderless. What the fuck?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Scented Nectar wrote:

This fucker is a genius.

I think I've worked it out, SN. 'Them' and 'their' are genderless but not genderless enough.

You see, 'them' and 'their' could encompass a group that may not be gendered, but members of the group might individually each have a gender. This is too gendered. What we need are pronouns to ensure not merely that we're referring to a non-gendered group, but rather a group of beings each of whom definitely has no gender at all.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

piginthecity wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

This fucker is a genius.

I think I've worked it out, SN. 'Them' and 'their' are genderless but not genderless enough.

You see, 'them' and 'their' could encompass a group that may not be gendered, but members of the group might individually each have a gender. This is too gendered. What we need are pronouns to ensure not merely that we're referring to a non-gendered group, but rather a group of beings each of whom definitely has no gender at all.
I'm just going to start calling everyone "cuntface". That'll be a lot easier to remember. Everyone. Cuntface.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Over at the Atheism Plus forum the member of the Ethical Committee discuss the best strategy to "end poverty forever":
Ronja A-M wrote: In fact, "helping the poor" (welp, won't unpack that can of worms now) that would be significantly based on charity could only make things worse equality and social justice wise.
Alex Seanchai wrote:It makes excellent sense. Sooo I guess the question is "smash the system to rebuild" or "work within the system to reform"? But then that is a question that has been argued for ages, and either no one's consensused yet or the societal will to keep the system intact has been winning all along. I'm not really sure.
qmartindale wrote:I'm not sure that the "welfare state" is the only or even an effective way to do systemic anti-oppression. Indeed, a common critique of social democrats from the left is that such policies simply make oppression more palatable to the oppressed without changing any power dynamics. That's not to say that entitlements aren't a great way to alleviate human suffering, but it's certainly possible to imagine a better world where people's basic needs yet which is still full of bigotry.
Richard Austin wrote:My own personal affinity (for lack of a better term) is towards systems, processes, patterns. To that end, I guess I've always internalized the systemic nature of, well, pretty much everything sociopolitical. One of the first things I remember getting into an argument with a teacher about - and winning - is that the first goal of any government is to protect the existence of government, and that the only power any population has against any government is dissolution
armoredscrumobject wrote:I'm partial to the idea of "displacing": building a better system in whatever relatively unoccupied space, and (ideally) gradually draw support from the population and leave the die-hard old guard a poorly-resourced minority. It seems to sort of work for replacing political parties, at least. Sure, it's vulnerable, but what isn't?
quietmarc wrote:My opinion in short is: the economic system is so broken and people are so invested in it and people are literally dying every single minute because of it, that any kind of rational discussion has to be - by definition - coming from a place of privilege, because I am 100% convinced that anyone who is behaving calmly or controlled on the subject is not fully understanding the scope and horror of the situation.
quietmarc, again wrote:On the subject of poverty, I'm pretty much convinced that the wheel needs to be broken and rebuilt from scratch, but since that is incredibly, incredibly hard to do, it's about as hopeless a thing I can imagine.

Also, and I love charities and those who give to 'em, charity is bullshit.
GreatAmericanSatan wrote:Meanwhile, the board of trustees at the art school are whichever random obscenely rich people want to feel erudite at the moment, making decisions about how the school conducts itself based on prestige rather than the demands of an actual learning environment. And while adjunct profs are sleeping in their cars and dying of pneumonia, the wine at gallery events flows.
On a side note: I've seen Conspiracy last night. Excellent movie which shows the banality of ideological evil.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

This fucker is a genius.

Could Nerd be deep cover poe?, maybe he's playing the long con?

Or is he just a stupid Xunt?

(with apologies to ConcH20 for stealing his joke!) :lol:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Scented Nectar wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: But 'they', 'them', and 'their' are already genderless. What the fuck?

I'm just going to start calling everyone "cuntface". That'll be a lot easier to remember. Everyone. Cuntface.
In the UK that means drunk. Stop culturally appropriating me or I'll Zir Zim your Zit Zar with extreme prejudice!!!!!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

The combination of AdBlock Plus and Disconnect means I get neither advertisements or social media buttons (and no tracking either!) It makes FTB look quite tasteful. Pity about the content.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Scented Nectar wrote:

I first read that and thought Whaaaat? Maybe on Greta's site, but the others too? And then I realized that you meant "Social Media"
:lol:
:shock: :?

I must say though, I'm glad they slighted out the two twitter icons. Detail. It matter.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

See what I mean. Small slip = large confusion. I wonder. Is there AdBlock for iPad?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I'm just going to start calling everyone "cuntface". That'll be a lot easier to remember. Everyone. Cuntface.
In the UK that means drunk. Stop culturally appropriating me or I'll Zir Zim your Zit Zar with extreme prejudice!!!!!
But I'm trans-British. I get to do it too now. :P

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Scented Nectar wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I'm just going to start calling everyone "cuntface". That'll be a lot easier to remember. Everyone. Cuntface.
But I'm trans-British. I get to do it too now. :P
That should have been...

I'm trans-British and also identify as drunk even though I'm sober.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

I know that Python is overdone here (as everywhere) but I just thought this gif perfectly sumed up the FTB (White Knight) Horsemen of the Apocalypse:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/dc7bedeff749 ... o1_500.gif

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Jesus, Hensley is already a third the way to her new camera.

Note her rewards. $5 buys you a virtual hug. But you'll have to wait till April to receive it.

$1000 gets you a couple of hardcopy pics. But only if you are USA based.

'Cause you know.

Postage.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Kirbmarc wrote:Over at the Atheism Plus forum the member of the Ethical Committee discuss the best strategy to "end poverty forever":

(snip)
quietmarc wrote:My opinion in short is: the economic system is so broken and people are so invested in it and people are literally dying every single minute because of it, that any kind of rational discussion has to be - by definition - coming from a place of privilege, because I am 100% convinced that anyone who is behaving calmly or controlled on the subject is not fully understanding the scope and horror of the situation.
(snip)
Christ.

I wonder is it significant that the "social justice" movement is mostly American, and America is a relatively young country, because surely anyone with the slightest concept of history surely has to recognise that we're living in the freeest, most prosperous, healthiest, best educated, most scientifically and technologically advanced, most enlightened and most respectful to minorities times there have ever been?

There's always room for improvement, but the nearest thing to paradise on earth humanity has yet created are societies with market economies, representative democratic government, the rule of law and a sustainable social democratic safety net. Like what we live in. But SJWs, who so readily use "privilege" as a rhetorical cudgel, don't notice this enormous privilege they share with the rest of us, taking it completely for granted, while they insist we live in a nightmarish Kafkaesque dystopia that needs to be destroyed. And replaced with what?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And that was my experience with university fraternities. I did not repeat it. I did not fit in, and they seemed like a mechanism to insulate themselves from actually learning anything and instead spend their time reinforcing each other’s adolescent stupidities.
Anyone want to bet PZ's descent to pitiful man-slob started not by his brave rejection of babes and beer, but rather when he didn't get a call back?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've found a very handy website to download full Youtube videos. I've grabbed a few documentaries on the Apollo 11 and 12 missions already.

Another one that works pretty well is keepvid.com if you don't mind it using javascript. And a useful trick for Mac users: enable the YouTube html5 player by default at https://www.youtube.com/html5. Then use the extension ClickToPlugin (here) and in its prefs/Shortcut Menu enable the checkboxes 'View on site' and 'Download Video'. You can now ctrl-click or right click on the video and either go to YouTube to watch it or download it directly to your Mac.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Is Rebecca Watson some kind of Hillary Clinton clone? This is weird:

[youtube]68qJN9MwDfY[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:
ERV wrote:
Not sure if people happen to recognize her how happy they would be that she is stalking up next to them to take photos.
How many years has the special flower had PTSD?

The qualifications for being the executive director of Center for Inquiry, DC: doing makeup for your friends when they got married.

Awesome.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

paddybrown wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Over at the Atheism Plus forum the member of the Ethical Committee discuss the best strategy to "end poverty forever":

(snip)
(snip)
Christ.

I wonder is it significant that the "social justice" movement is mostly American, and America is a relatively young country, because surely anyone with the slightest concept of history surely has to recognise that we're living in the freeest, most prosperous, healthiest, best educated, most scientifically and technologically advanced, most enlightened and most respectful to minorities times there have ever been?

There's always room for improvement, but the nearest thing to paradise on earth humanity has yet created are societies with market economies, representative democratic government, the rule of law and a sustainable social democratic safety net. Like what we live in. But SJWs, who so readily use "privilege" as a rhetorical cudgel, don't notice this enormous privilege they share with the rest of us, taking it completely for granted, while they insist we live in a nightmarish Kafkaesque dystopia that needs to be destroyed. And replaced with what?
A delusional candy gumdrop fairyland running on unicorn farts that exist only in their demented minds, informed by an unrealistic, ridiculous, buffoonish interpretation of human nature.
But lets charitably assume their endgame isn't an unworkable, self-contradicting, hypocritical mess. The dense cunts talking about "smashing" the system make me chortle with aggressive laughter. Apparently their ignorance of history stretches to every single instance of systems being "smashed" throughout human civilization.What do they think happens, exactly? A peaceful transition overseen by nagging self-righteous busybodies? It's always a bloodbath. In the unlikely event of the "system" they live in being "smashed", 99.99% of these special snowflakes wouldn't survive. Coddled pieces of shit. Fucking stupid parasites completely oblivious to the fact that their host is the only reason they have the kinds of lives they have in the first place.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

paddybrown wrote:But SJWs, who so readily use "privilege" as a rhetorical cudgel, don't notice this enormous privilege they share with the rest of us, taking it completely for granted, while they insist we live in a nightmarish Kafkaesque dystopia that needs to be destroyed. And replaced with what?
With a real Kafkaesque dystopia, of course. Where you are guilty if you claim that you are innocent.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Atheism+ back-channel discussion:

[9:52 AM]
The social safety net is irreparably broken! It must be torn down and rebuilt from scratch!
Yes! Anyone trying to reform the current system doesn't truly understand the problem.
Exactly. Their arguments are invalidated by their privilege.
We should tweet to the poor, so they know that we're allies.
[11:22 AM]
Why aren't they tweeting back to say thanks?
Maybe they're the Republican poor, who vote against their own interests ... ?
Or brainwashed by the Patriarchy ... ?
Or they didn't see what we wrote, because they don't Follow us ... ?
[11:52 AM]
How sure are you that the poor have twitter?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

ERV wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
ERV wrote:
How many years has the special flower had PTSD?

The qualifications for being the executive director of Center for Inquiry, DC: doing makeup for your friends when they got married.

Awesome.
I (...) also worked in high end department stores.
Grace Brothers?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Brive1987 wrote: Jesus, Hensley is already a third the way to her new camera...Note her rewards...$1000 gets you a couple of hardcopy pics...
I was having breakfast when I first read that and I read it as; "...a couple of hardcore pics".
As a wake-up, that beats coffee all to hell.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Jan Steen wrote:
ERV wrote:How many years has the special flower had PTSD?

Awesome.
Grace Brothers?
You mean the store with the elevators featured so prominently to mock skepchickies everywhere? How rapey can a store get? Even the song... I can't even... why didn't you trigger warn?

[youtube]qBANg2g9fVM[/youtube]

Stout

Post by Stout »

It's funny reading the plussers squealing about economic privilege then switching to Hensley's biography where she boast about her "high end" experiences. Warriors want to examine privilege issues in their own camp before they can expect any of us normal folk to take them seriously. Why am I certain that pointing that out on A+ would lead to a ban.

[quote=ERV]The qualifications for being the executive director of Center for Inquiry, DC: doing makeup for your friends when they got married.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. I just assumed that she had some sort of science background. Oh well, serves me right for making assumptions.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

:(

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Fuck.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote:Jesus, Hensley is already a third the way to her new camera.

Note her rewards. $5 buys you a virtual hug. But you'll have to wait till April to receive it.

$1000 gets you a couple of hardcopy pics. But only if you are USA based.

'Cause you know.

Postage.
Memo to staff: CFI Washington

(Do NOT cc to Melody!]

Look, just chip in whatever you can. Thing is, I have a feeling she's looking for a career change. Just sayin ;-)

RAL

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

FUCKFUCKFUCK!!! I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but still. RIP, Sir Terry. :(

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ronja A-M wrote: In fact, "helping the poor" (welp, won't unpack that can of worms now) that would be significantly based on charity could only make things worse equality and social justice wise.
Alex Seanchai wrote:It makes excellent sense. Sooo I guess the question is "smash the system to rebuild" or "work within the system to reform"? But then that is a question that has been argued for ages, and either no one's consensused yet or the societal will to keep the system intact has been winning all along. I'm not really sure.
qmartindale wrote:I'm not sure that the "welfare state" is the only or even an effective way to do systemic anti-oppression. Indeed, a common critique of social democrats from the left is that such policies simply make oppression more palatable to the oppressed without changing any power dynamics. That's not to say that entitlements aren't a great way to alleviate human suffering, but it's certainly possible to imagine a better world where people's basic needs yet which is still full of bigotry.
Richard Austin wrote:My own personal affinity (for lack of a better term) is towards systems, processes, patterns. To that end, I guess I've always internalized the systemic nature of, well, pretty much everything sociopolitical. One of the first things I remember getting into an argument with a teacher about - and winning - is that the first goal of any government is to protect the existence of government, and that the only power any population has against any government is dissolution
armoredscrumobject wrote:I'm partial to the idea of "displacing": building a better system in whatever relatively unoccupied space, and (ideally) gradually draw support from the population and leave the die-hard old guard a poorly-resourced minority. It seems to sort of work for replacing political parties, at least. Sure, it's vulnerable, but what isn't?
quietmarc, again wrote:On the subject of poverty, I'm pretty much convinced that the wheel needs to be broken and rebuilt from scratch, but since that is incredibly, incredibly hard to do, it's about as hopeless a thing I can imagine.

Also, and I love charities and those who give to 'em, charity is bullshit.
GreatAmericanSatan wrote:Meanwhile, the board of trustees at the art school are whichever random obscenely rich people want to feel erudite at the moment, making decisions about how the school conducts itself based on prestige rather than the demands of an actual learning environment. And while adjunct profs are sleeping in their cars and dying of pneumonia, the wine at gallery events flows.
On a side note: I've seen Conspiracy last night. Excellent movie which shows the banality of ideological evil.
Revolution My Dinner With Andre style

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Stout wrote:It's funny reading the plussers squealing about economic privilege then switching to Hensley's biography where she boast about her "high end" experiences. Warriors want to examine privilege issues in their own camp before they can expect any of us normal folk to take them seriously. Why am I certain that pointing that out on A+ would lead to a ban.
To come out of the closet slightly, I am not opposed to the concept of privilege per se. I think it has merit in the context of (for example) race, at least in the US.
I'm not even unsympathetic to the "punching up" concept in humor.

The thing is, I will be damned if I going to listen to either one being espoused by white, Western, upper-middle class, college educated, women, who, I would argue, constitute the single most pampered mass demographic in the history of our species.
Nor will I play along with their never having condescended (or been required) to have matured beyond the emotional age of (approximately) eleven.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:FUCKFUCKFUCK!!! I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but still. RIP, Sir Terry. :(
So rich white dude famous for making people laugh dies just when Ferguson kicks off again.

Coincidence?

RIP Terry.

Shatterface

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:FUCKFUCKFUCK!!! I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but still. RIP, Sir Terry. :(
Everyone did and it won't change the impact. What a magnificent bastard he was. If not for this head crushing hangover I'd rise a glass for you. Instead I'll quote troll poetry:

Him who mountain crush him no
Him who sun him stop him no
Him who hammer him break him no
Him who fire him fear him no
Him who raise him head above him heart
Him diamond

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

James Caruthers wrote:
Sunder wrote:PZ's crew will be in trouble if and when Christian apologists study up on their SJW-speak and start talking about their beliefs in terms of "lived experiences" and "erasure."

Well actually they won't because they're unabashed hypocrites, but it'll still look bad.
It's pretty oppressive/10 for a white male cis shitlord to deny the lived christian experiences of an impoverished PoC.

Ergo, Jesus is real.
Always believe the [crucifixion] victim.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

sp0tlight wrote: :(
Fucking gutted.

twocunts

Post by twocunts »

Shatterface as Guest wrote: So rich white dude famous for making people laugh dies just when Ferguson kicks off again.

Coincidence?

RIP Terry.

Shatterface
You might want to start preparing your lawsuit against Peez, for an IP theft that is surely imminent.

But, of course, how could I forget, Peez never reads this hive of scum and villainy. Never mind.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Always believe the [crucifixion] victim.
The Garden of Gethsemane is safe-space for apostles, don't romansplain the need for crucifixion to them.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Jan Steen wrote:
ERV wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: How many years has the special flower had PTSD?

Awesome.
Grace Brothers?
Please don't make me think about Melody Hensley's Mrs. Slocombe's pussy...

:o

Al Stefanelli

Finally...

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Finally got "you know who" to sit for a professional portrait:

http://alstefanelli.com/FullSizeRender.jpg

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Fucking gutted.
If there's a bright spot in all this, here's a man who contributed so much you get some random bloke in Central Europe shed a tear over his departure. He lived a good life, made us laugh and think, he won't be forgotten because writers are alive as long people read their words.

So while I'm sad I'd rather live in a world where he lived and died than world where he never existed.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

sp0tlight wrote:So while I'm sad I'd rather live in a world where he lived and died than world where he never existed.
Beautiful.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Billie from Ockham wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:So while I'm sad I'd rather live in a world where he lived and died than world where he never existed.
Beautiful.
Agreed, very well said.

I feel kind of empty right now. My Pratchett bookshelf will not get much more crowded (I only miss a few of the side books). Guess next month will see a bit of my money going to Amazon.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've found a very handy website to download full Youtube videos. I've grabbed a few documentaries on the Apollo 11 and 12 missions already.

Frog, do you even clipconverter?

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
sp0tlight wrote: :(
Fucking gutted.
Same here

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

James Caruthers wrote:http://www.clipconverter.cc/
I'm going to show my *NIX privilege and point you both to youtube-dl (don't let the name fool you, it can grab so much stuff it's not even funny).

youtube-dl -F URL-of-video will dump you a list of formats the video is already converted to

youtube-dl -f <format_id> URL-of-video and you have it in h264, VP8, m4a or YourMom.

James Caruthers

paddybrown wrote:

(snip)
(snip)
Christ.

To be fair to these buzzword-spewing chuckleheads, very few anti-capitalist groups can or are willing to say what system of commerce should replace capitalism. Most of them don't know and are just utopians. Those who do know don't want to say because then those evil pig-dog capitalists will point out that the system has been tried multiple times and failed repeatedly.

Though I should clarify for the sake of quote-mining and say I do not believe we currently live in a capitalist society so much as a capitalist-socialist plutocracy.

Now, if you look at living standards on a worldwide average, I'm not certain if we are currently at the apex of our evolutionary history. I suppose we probably still are, because of medical science, although the many countries living in perpetual serfdom to the west might feel they were doing better in the past than they are today.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Artist's depiction of how sp0t looks/act

http://static.flickr.com/87/240803829_9212773615_o.png

James Caruthers

[youtube]5ffZgq3yvB0#t=87[/youtube]

I can't stop listening to this.

Peter Coffin, aka the guy who posed a realdoll around in a house he was housesitting and pretended the house was his and the realdoll was his girlfriend.

He's currently begging for money, this time supposedly for a jaw operation his actual girlfriend/wife/woman who is doing the scam with him.

But I can't get over how catchy this song is!

Parsehole needs to use it for something.

James Caruthers

[youtube]5ffZgq3yvB0[/youtube]

Stout

Post by Stout »

Gefan wrote:
Stout wrote:It's funny reading the plussers squealing about economic privilege then switching to Hensley's biography where she boast about her "high end" experiences. Warriors want to examine privilege issues in their own camp before they can expect any of us normal folk to take them seriously. Why am I certain that pointing that out on A+ would lead to a ban.
To come out of the closet slightly, I am not opposed to the concept of privilege per se. I think it has merit in the context of (for example) race, at least in the US.
I'm not even unsympathetic to the "punching up" concept in humor.

The thing is, I will be damned if I going to listen to either one being espoused by white, Western, upper-middle class, college educated, women, who, I would argue, constitute the single most pampered mass demographic in the history of our species.
Nor will I play along with their never having condescended (or been required) to have matured beyond the emotional age of (approximately) eleven.

As I see it, the biggest problem with privilege theory is it allows those wielding it as a weapon to write themselves passes to behave in the very same bigoted fashion that they ( warriors ) claim to be against. The second biggest problem is that it fails to address how bigotry affects those deemed with privilege on a micro scale.

I better give some examples here on the second one

A while ago, there was a big kerfuffle at a local gay bar about a straight couple doing some dirty dancing on the dance floor. The consensus of the gay community was that they didn't want straight people in their bar. Bigotry

Once I told a missionary group that I thought they were doing great work in a third world company and expressed a desire to join them in the future and disclosed I was an atheist. They said that was a problem. So much for my white able bodied cishet privilege.

Would as a white yada yada male could I have gotten Hensley's job of selling cosmetics in a high end department store, even if I had self identified as genderqueer ? Doubt it, haven seen many dudes working when I've cut through those departments.

A poster hers, I can't remember who, recently linked to a thread on Hernia's blog, citing this is where they got banned. the 'nym was abear at FtB ). One of the first comments after the abear post was "you're a man" Now my reaction was so what ? The horde was exercising gender based bigotry and wallowing in it.

the tealdeer is, privilege theory is too simplistic the way it's currently employed.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:[youtube]5ffZgq3yvB0[/youtube]
IMO the best part is the #fullmacintosh segment. I don't know if these guys are deliberately poking fun at themselves, but its pretty funny either way.