Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
dogen

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by dogen »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
Good, I thought I was the only one who didn't think that Denise Richards was particularly good looking. One big clue that she's not that attractive is that Charlie Sheen found her attractive.
Pointy elbows 2/10 Would not bang.

:violin:
I also thought even in Starship Troopers, Dina Meyer was way hotter. So Richards wasn't even the hottest one in the movie. Sort of a Ginger/Mary Ann thing.
Seconded! And we got to see her bewbs!

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

NoGodsEver wrote:
John D wrote:But.... just judging by the attractiveness of the lead actress..... Robocop is also a better movie. I present Abbie Cornish -
Abbie-cornish-4.png
Who is talking about the crappy Robocop remake?
She was 5 when the Verhoeven's RoboCop was released.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I like Starship Troopers.
I particularly liked the parts where the audience is meant to believe Denise Richards is hot but it's really a biting satire on how our society will assume somebody is attractive if a film implies they are.
Yeah, I fapped ironically.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Regarding ISIS's recent creation of the "Zippo Pilot" meme - I often lurk on the message boards at militaryphotos.net.
Most of the regulars there are veterans and defense industry professionals from around the world and they really know their stuff. In the last few days, multiple posters from the Middle East (primarily Egypt and Jordan) have posted claiming that burning people (and killing captives in general) is specifically prohibited in the hadith.
If true, then these fuckers are really working overtime. To go above and beyond the life-destroying gibberish in the Abrahamic "holy books" is some achievement.
Then again, this is an organization that seems to have been founded due to its members concluding that Al Qaeda are a bunch of pussies.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Gefan wrote:Regarding ISIS's recent creation of the "Zippo Pilot" meme - I often lurk on the message boards at militaryphotos.net.
Most of the regulars there are veterans and defense industry professionals from around the world and they really know their stuff. In the last few days, multiple posters from the Middle East (primarily Egypt and Jordan) have posted claiming that burning people (and killing captives in general) is specifically prohibited in the hadith.
If true, then these fuckers are really working overtime. To go above and beyond the life-destroying gibberish in the Abrahamic "holy books" is some achievement.
Then again, this is an organization that seems to have been founded due to its members concluding that Al Qaeda are a bunch of pussies.

Aren't there a wide variety of Hadith with many disputes on which are authentic or not so different groups end up picking and choosing from the Hadith Cafeteria?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

I mean, you have one hadith were Muhammad refuses to disturb a cat sleeping on his cloak while in another be pours molten lead into someone's ear because they listened to music. Not all are accepted as authentic by every Muslim.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Ericb wrote:
Gefan wrote:Regarding ISIS's recent creation of the "Zippo Pilot" meme - I often lurk on the message boards at militaryphotos.net.

Aren't there a wide variety of Hadith with many disputes on which are authentic or not so different groups end up picking and choosing from the Hadith Cafeteria?
That's my understanding. My point is, given some of the other stuff Muslims believe, when someone manages to go so far overboard that a substantial section of that community unhesitatingly call "haram" (sp?) on you, your psychoses are surely only curable by a massive dose of vitamin B-52.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Ericb wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
John D wrote:But.... just judging by the attractiveness of the lead actress..... Robocop is also a better movie. I present Abbie Cornish -
Abbie-cornish-4.png
Who is talking about the crappy Robocop remake?
She was 5 when the Verhoeven's RoboCop was released.
[Insert Ogvorbis joke here.]

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Cunning Punt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:I like Starship Troopers.
I particularly liked the parts where the audience is meant to believe Denise Richards is hot but it's really a biting satire on how our society will assume somebody is attractive if a film implies they are.
Yeah, I fapped ironically.
I fapped satirically.

:cdc:

'cus of my satyriasis.

#spermshiptroopers

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Wow. If people are going to admit to loving Sucker Punch and Van Helsing, both of which I adore, too, then let me toss in La Femme Nikita, The Professional, Hitman, and From Paris with Love, since I'm on an euro-assassin binge right now.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I loved Sucker Punch, but was bored to tears by Van Helsing.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Wow. If people are going to admit to loving Sucker Punch and Van Helsing, both of which I adore, too, then let me toss in La Femme Nikita, The Professional, Hitman, and From Paris with Love, since I'm on an euro-assassin binge right now.
The Professional is awesome, no reason to be embarrassed about liking that one. Although Gary Oldman's performance is the very definition of 'over the top', still very entertaining.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

another lurker wrote:I loved Sucker Punch, but was bored to tears by Van Helsing.
Sucker Punch was possibly the only movie, other than "Prometheus" and "Howard the Duck", that made me angry.
"Prometheus", I watched all the way through partly because I was stuck on a very long flight and partly because I couldn't believe what i was seeing.
I endured "Howard" to the bitter end because it was the nineteen-eighties, and I was high as fuck.
Neither of those circumstances applied to "Sucker Punch" so I made it (at most) forty minutes in. To me, it looked exactly like what I imagine would result if you gave a fourteen year-old boy a hundred million dollars, and way too much sugar, and told him to make a movie.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote:.

A critical review of RWs latest:

Watson on the challenges of apparent hypocrisy ....

Never found Tim Minchan's use of the word "cunt" personally offensive. 'Cause he's my mate and he's cool. And he's Australian.

Dan Savage is not transphobic. Because he seeks to bring joy to the world. And he is my mate.

And I am awesome because i say problematic things, but I'm happy for people to disagree. Nah. Just joking on that one.

However Dawkins, Krauss, Shermer are big pieces of shi**. They're coincidently not my mates.

I really liked the name dropping (it's amazing how many famous people love her), and the shaky camera added a lot of class, however her eyes weren't bleary enough. 8 out of 10, needs moar cough syrup.
Good to see her patrons are getting value for their money. :P

That is all.

http://i.imgur.com/et0kFuG.jpg

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

[youtube]74BzSTQCl_c[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

I really liked the name dropping (it's amazing how many famous people love her), and the shaky camera added a lot of class, however her eyes weren't bleary enough. 8 out of 10, needs moar cough syrup.
Good to see her patrons are getting value for their money. :P
Sorry, that bit should have come after Becky's photo.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Salon hasan article by Katie McDonoghabout "rape myths" and "the perfect victim".

Highlights:
Katie McDonogh wrote:No matter how nice or good or whatever moving target of characteristics we demand victims inhabit to be believable, personal narratives will always have limits when so many of our reflexive assumptions about rape are punishing of victims and protecting of rapists.

We scrutinize victims in an endless quest for “proof]”[/b of the ways that sexual violence takes your body from you. And yet we are never sufficiently horrified. We protest that we are being led down a slippery slope when words like “affirmative consent” are brought into the conversation. Scoff at “rape culture” as some progressive delusion traded among feminists. We question data, ask for better numbers. We are caught in a holding pattern in which we force victims to carry weight for the rest of us until we’re ready to do better, and we are never ready to do better.

Katie McDonogh wrote:[...]we have to be clear that the problem of rape, on campuses and elsewhere, is real. That our culture normalizes sexual violence and there are currently very few institutional structures in place to change that. That we routinely tear apart individual rape victims’ stories as a justification for our inertia on changing a failed system. Writing that serves only to cast doubt on claims that rape is a crime that is prevalent and woefully underreported doesn’t bring us anywhere closer to correcting a system that has failed so many so terribly and so predictably.

TL;DR: Asking for evidence that support an accusation is part of rape culture. If you've been accused of rape, providing evidence that support the case for your innocence is also part of rape culture. Listen and believe.

free thoughtpolice

Regarding the hadith about burning people alive as punishment- it is from the Bukhari collection of haditha which are considered reliable by Muslims.
http://binbayyah.net/english/2012/01/19 ... harijites/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Although Gary Oldman's performance is the very definition of 'over the top', still very entertaining.
To be fair he's playing a character who is high as a kite for the entire movie.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Gefan wrote:
another lurker wrote:I loved Sucker Punch, but was bored to tears by Van Helsing.
Sucker Punch was possibly the only movie, other than "Prometheus" and "Howard the Duck", that made me angry.
"Prometheus", I watched all the way through partly because I was stuck on a very long flight and partly because I couldn't believe what i was seeing.
I endured "Howard" to the bitter end because it was the nineteen-eighties, and I was high as fuck.
Neither of those circumstances applied to "Sucker Punch" so I made it (at most) forty minutes in. To me, it looked exactly like what I imagine would result if you gave a fourteen year-old boy a hundred million dollars, and way too much sugar, and told him to make a movie.
Prometheus... the worst in recent times.

[youtube]-x1YuvUQFJ0[/youtube]

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Although Gary Oldman's performance is the very definition of 'over the top', still very entertaining.
To be fair he's playing a character who is high as a kite for the entire movie.
To be even more fair, I don't think he was 'playing' high.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If you get what Robocop is about, You'll get Starship Troopers.
I liked Robocop, didn't like Starship Troopers. :dance:

free thoughtpolice

More hadiths regarding execution by burning. Don't do it. It's Allah's job to punish people with fire and He doesn't like people horning in on his schtick:
Abu Dawud entitled a chapter in his Sunan “The Detestable Nature of Burning the Opposing Forces with Fire”. Below are a few relevant hadeeth.

-2673. It was reported from Muhammad bin Hamzah Al-Aslami from his father, that the Messenger of Allah appointed him as a commander over a military expedition. He said: “So I went along with them, and he (the Prophet) said: ‘If you find so-and-so, then burn him with fire.’ Then I turned to depart. He called me to come back,so I came back to him. He said: ‘If you find so-and-so, then kill him, and do not burn him, for nobody punishes with fire except the Lord of the Fire.”

-2675. It was reported from ‘Abdur-Rahmãn bin ‘Abdullah, from his father who said: “We were with the Messenger of Allahin a journey. He went to relieve himself. We saw a Humrah with two chicks of hers, and we took one of her chicks The Humrah came and started shaking her spread out wings. The Prophet came and said: ‘Who distressed her because of her chicks, give her chick back to her. And he also saw an ant colony which we had burnt, so he said:’Who burnt this down?’ We said: ‘We did.’ He said: ‘It is not allowed to punish with fire, except for the Lord of the Fire.”

Both of the above mentioned hadeeth were classified by Shaykh Al Albani as authentic in his checking and review of the book.

Git

Post by Git »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Wow. If people are going to admit to loving Sucker Punch and Van Helsing, both of which I adore, too, then let me toss in La Femme Nikita, The Professional, Hitman, and From Paris with Love, since I'm on an euro-assassin binge right now.
The Professional is awesome, no reason to be embarrassed about liking that one. Although Gary Oldman's performance is the very definition of 'over the top', still very entertaining.
Ahem. These were the only true Professionals:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/ ... 34x447.jpg

Git

Post by Git »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Regarding the hadith about burning people alive as punishment- it is from the Bukhari collection of haditha which are considered reliable by Muslims.
http://binbayyah.net/english/2012/01/19 ... harijites/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenana_ibn_al-Rabi
The Prophet gave orders concerning Kinanah to Zubayr, saying, ‘Torture him until you root out and extract what he has. So Zubayr kindled a fire on Kinanah’s chest, twirling it with his firestick until Kinanah was near death. Then the Messenger gave him to Maslamah, who beheaded him. -- Al-Tabari, Vol. 8, p. 122
Charming fellow this Mohammed eh?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Whereas I obviously loved Van Helsing, but found Sucker Punch unbearable.

"You have to go disarm the bomb called 'kitchen knife.' "

Hahaha, that was hilarious. :dance:

[youtube]vz86ZF2zYbg[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"Sweet dreams are made of this ..... "

Billie from Ockham

NoGodsEver wrote:The Professional is awesome, no reason to be embarrassed about liking that one. Although Gary Oldman's performance is the very definition of 'over the top', still very entertaining.
Gary Oldman in the hands of Luc Besson is always too much, which is why it's so great. If Chris Tucker hadn't ruined Fifth Element, then I'd have put that one on the list, too.

As to Van Helsing, in my house, when you scare someone by bumping into them unexpectedly, you are obligated to say "hello, Anna" in the creepiest manner possible. It's one of our few rules. Another is that, whenever someone says "patriarchy" (regardless of context), everyone else must immediately say "penis." This is quite dangerous when grandparents are over for dinner, but it's a rule that must be obeyed.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Starship troopers and Robocop had this direct-to-video flair... though this is pretty cool:
http://dejareviewer.com/2014/04/29/cine ... ical-film/

Billie from Ockham

free thoughtpolice wrote:Regarding the hadith about burning people alive as punishment- it is from the Bukhari collection of haditha which are considered reliable by Muslims.
And here I was, thinking that Bukhari was a weird, often slow, but effective way to extinguish someone whose face is on fire. But I'm not great at keeping some of those technical terms straight.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Van Helsing, another fucking train wreck where they shoe-horned about eight different stories into one film.
Had it been played straight, and had they had the foresight to plan a series where they went from one Victorian monster-myth to the next, we might still be enjoying a great series, but noooooooooo....
Also, and this is not a complaint exclusive to Van Helsing, when someone shape-shifts please pay attention to the question of what happens to their clothes.

The Professional was a delight. Even Oldman's persistent gnawing at the scenery. "Stan" is one of those characters I'd have loved to play.

Billie from Ockham

James Caruthers wrote:Whereas I obviously loved Van Helsing, but found Sucker Punch unbearable.
How many times had you watched A Series of Unfortunate Events before seeing Sucker Punch? Serious question. What I've found is that there's a strong correlation, with those who had seen A Series many times before seeing Sucker Punch liked the latter more. Something about identifying with Emily Browning much more, maybe because you believe that the truest line ever delivered in any movie was when Emily Browning (as Violet) tells Jim Carrey that he's a terrible actor.

I've found no relationship with how often the person has seen The Uninvited or Sleeping Beauty.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Romeo is Bleeding

Gary Oldman as a corrupt cop
Roy Scheider as a mafia boss
Juliette Lewis as a girl with a lightbulb head
Lena Olin as a psychotic Russian gangster

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gefan wrote:To me, it looked exactly like what I imagine would result if you gave a fourteen year-old boy a hundred million dollars, and way too much sugar, and told him to make a movie.

Like that's a bad thing.

But SP also had plenty of thoughtful cake beneath the icing.

http://i.imgur.com/U9W6Gxb.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Gefan wrote:Also, and this is not a complaint exclusive to Van Helsing, when someone shape-shifts please pay attention to the question of what happens to their clothes.
Other than including Jenny Agutter, getting the loss-of-clothes correct is one of the few positives I saw in American Werewolf in London.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I'm pretty happy with anything with Anne Parillaud (even Innocent Blood - a schlock movie, but she's so cute...), Jean Reno or Luc Besson involved. Ronin, Subway, The Big Blue—lots of good choices.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

Gefan wrote:<...>
Also, and this is not a complaint exclusive to Van Helsing, when someone shape-shifts please pay attention to the question of what happens to their clothes.

<...>
a07ae477fe3c7f1ba302851e42036920.jpg
(36.98 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
werewolf2.jpg
(27.09 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Gefan wrote:Also, and this is not a complaint exclusive to Van Helsing, when someone shape-shifts please pay attention to the question of what happens to their clothes.
Other than including Jenny Agutter, getting the loss-of-clothes correct is one of the few positives I saw in American Werewolf in London.
Are you my long lost twin? Jenny A. is always worth watching. Magnificent cheekbones.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

A Series of Unfortunate Events was quite good.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Git wrote:Ahem. These were the only true Professionals:

Martin Shaw's hair is way longer there than in Series 1 (which I'm currently watching on nicely restored Blu-ray)

A Scooby snack for the first Pitter who names the Leon (aka The Professional cast member with an Erdős–Bacon number of 7

Shatterface

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I always found it amusing that critics couldn't see past the depiction of sexist memes in sucker punch and therefore missed the biting critique of patriarchal structure and the multi dimensional resistance to same by women.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

American Werewolf in London: greatest transformation scene ever, to this day, but massively over-rated film.
Overall, The Howling is enormously superior. BTW - this is the great schism in werewolf movie fan circles, American Werewolf vs. The Howling.
A point of more-or-less universal agreement, however, is that the sequels to both were all kinds of horrendous. Mercifully, in some cases they were bad enough to be funny (see the imdb reviews for Howling VII).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A Scooby snack for the first Pitter who names the Leon (aka The Professional cast member with an Erdős–Bacon number of 7
Natalie Portman. She was Mathilda in Leon. of 7.
Wikipedia wrote:She collaborated (using her birth name, Natalie Hershlag) with Abigail A. Baird, who has a collaboration path leading to Joseph Gillis, who has an Erdős number of 1. Portman appeared in A Powerful Noise Live (2009) with Sarah Michelle Gellar, who appeared in The Air I Breathe (2007) with Bacon, giving Portman a Bacon number of 2 and an Erdős number of 5.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Git wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:
Ahem. These were the only true Professionals:

I think Guillaume de Gillette was referencing 'Leon'.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

another lurker wrote:A Series of Unfortunate Events was quite good.
Loved that quirky film, the credits at the end are marvellous. Also Count Olaf re-enacting the T-Rex.

[youtube]JoBnHYKcCRU[/youtube]

Somehow the movie was a strange crossover between Wile E Coyote vs Roadrunner, fairytale plot and Tim Burton...

Billie from Ockham

screwtape wrote:Are you my long lost twin? Jenny A. is always worth watching. Magnificent cheekbones.
WalkAbout had a profound effect on me. Logan's Run iced it, as it were. It continued from there.

Shatterface as Guest

Gefan wrote:American Werewolf in London: greatest transformation scene ever, to this day, but massively over-rated film.
Overall, The Howling is enormously superior. BTW - this is the great schism in werewolf movie fan circles, American Werewolf vs. The Howling.
A point of more-or-less universal agreement, however, is that the sequels to both were all kinds of horrendous. Mercifully, in some cases they were bad enough to be funny (see the imdb reviews for Howling VII).
American Werewolf is not only the best British horror movie of the Eighties, it's the most accurate depiction of early Eighties Britain as a dreary shit-hole committed to celluloid.

John Landis really nailed the hostility and suspicion of rural Britain and the sleaziness of London.

Shatterface

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Gefan wrote:
American Werewolf in London: greatest transformation scene ever, to this day, but massively over-rated film.
I rather like Dog Soldiers when it comes to a decent werewolf movie.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I also saw an American Werewolf in Paris when I was a little kid and I had nightmares for YEARS.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

screwtape wrote:
I'm pretty happy with anything with Anne Parillaud (even Innocent Blood - a schlock movie, but she's so cute...), Jean Reno or Luc Besson involved. Ronin, Subway, The Big Blue—lots of good choices.
I like a lot of Luc Besson's stuff, but are you really happy with Unleashed (or Danny The Dog as it was called in some places)? Absolutely fucking awful. It was set in a strange version of Glasgow where not one single Scottish person lived, perhaps an alternative universe or something.

Shatterface as Guest

Kirbmarc wrote:
Natalie Portman. She was Mathilda in Leon. of 7.
Wikipedia wrote:She collaborated (using her birth name, Natalie Hershlag) with Abigail A. Baird, who has a collaboration path leading to Joseph Gillis, who has an Erdős number of 1. Portman appeared in A Powerful Noise Live (2009) with Sarah Michelle Gellar, who appeared in The Air I Breathe (2007) with Bacon, giving Portman a Bacon number of 2 and an Erdős number of 5.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5143/5688 ... 7e421f.jpg

Shatterface

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
Gefan wrote:American Werewolf in London: greatest transformation scene ever, to this day, but massively over-rated film.
American Werewolf is not only the best British horror movie of the Eighties, it's the most accurate depiction of early Eighties Britain as a dreary shit-hole committed to celluloid.

John Landis really nailed the hostility and suspicion of rural Britain and the sleaziness of London.

Shatterface
It sort of killed the creepy atmosphere in The Slaughtered Lamb when one of the suspicious locals was Rik Mayall.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

And here I was, thinking that Bukhari was a weird, often slow, but effective way to extinguish someone whose face is on fire. But I'm not great at keeping some of those technical terms straight.
I think you are thinking of bukkake. :o

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

screwtape wrote:
Are you my long lost twin? Jenny A. is always worth watching. Magnificent cheekbones.
Equus.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

screwtape wrote:
Jean Reno was in the dreadful 1998 Godzilla remake. Surely that doesn't make you happy?

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

dog puke wrote:
Bukkake: a weird, often slow, but effective way to extinguish someone whose face is on fire. Someone add that to the Urban Dictionary.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

dog puke wrote:
Pfffffft.... hahahahaha! :lol: :clap:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

screwtape wrote: I rather like Dog Soldiers when it comes to a decent werewolf movie.
Great modern werewolf movies:

The Howling
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps (second one is arguably even better than the first, third one is fine you just have to view it as an independent entity)

Honorable mention:
Late Phases

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

another lurker wrote:I also saw an American Werewolf in Paris when I was a little kid and I had nightmares for YEARS.
That'll happen when the werewolves look like a cross between Ron Perlman and a Hyena.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

bhoytony wrote:
screwtape wrote:
I like a lot of Luc Besson's stuff, but are you really happy with Unleashed (or Danny The Dog as it was called in some places)? Absolutely fucking awful. It was set in a strange version of Glasgow where not one single Scottish person lived, perhaps an alternative universe or something.
I haven't seen that, I guess he has written things he didn't direct.