Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
bovarchist

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by bovarchist »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Yup. Waiting for the police would have been completely unreasonable. The guy was walking. In a hoodie! Every second counted. If Zimmerman hadn't intervened - against the expressed advice and request of the police - who knows what would have happened.
"Against the expressed advice and request of the police" -- yeah, that's the counterargument people keep making, and they always seem to think it's some sort of 'gotcha'. I really don't see it. Like, because he didn't listen to the 911 operator, it suddenly becomes reasonable or legal for Martin to attack him, or he somehow no longer deserves sympathy.

Or the fact that Zimmerman didn't "intervene" in anything; he'd already lost sight of Martin by this point, was simply trying to ascertain which direction he had gone in, and was already headed back to his car as instructed when Martin stepped out of the shadows. (see, I can use italics too).

People who put stock in the 911 operator's instructions should remember that emergency personnel also instruct people not to run back into a burning building to save a baby. If someone was injured doing so, I suppose you'd feel he deserved it and shouldn't receive health coverage.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Scented Nectar wrote:
comhcinc wrote:So does anyone want to see my penis?
Yeah, ok. But only if it's not got anything to do with the whole Ferguson thing. You're not charging at a cop with it, are you?
If he is, then I suggest skipping the "shoot at the center of mass" and go straight to "shoot for the head (in case it's uncircumcised and, therefore, wearing a vest)."

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Yup. Waiting for the police would have been completely unreasonable. The guy was walking. In a hoodie! Every second counted. If Zimmerman hadn't intervened - against the expressed advice and request of the police - who knows what would have happened.
Zimmerman didn't do anything illegal, though, as far as I've read. Did he threaten Martin? Did try to stop and frisk him? No, he simply followed him, and Martin didn't even know he was armed. Did Zimmermann act against police advice? Yes, but he wasn't bound to follow the advice. Was he reckless? Maybe.

Did Martin had no other choice but to physically attack him? As far as I can tell he wasn't threatened or had reasons to believe that Zimmerman was about to attack him other that the fact that Zimmerman was following him around. That's a pretty weak justification for charging someone.

I don't know. Maybe I am missing something. Did Zimmerman do anything that could have been reasonably interpreted as a threat?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Zimmerman didn't provoke the altercation; he didn't even precipitate the personal interaction. He observed a stranger acting suspiciously in his neighborhood , and called it in to the cops. The dispatcher told him - quite clearly - to back off, not engage, and let the police do their job. Zimmerman ignored this request and continued to follow Martin for several more minutes. Martin tracked back & punched Zimmerman in the face.
FTFY
We actually know the timing pretty accurately because we have the beginning and ending timestamps of GZ's and TM's phone calls and the first 911 call reporting the fight. TM's call ended almost exactly two minutes after GZ's, and the fight would have started right afterwards. So 'several' minutes is a bit of a stretch. More importantly, GZ didn't see TM during this time. TM had run down an unlit path between the houses where there was a T-intersection a short distance away. While still on the phone with the dispatcher, GZ began following the path in part to see if he could find which way TM went, but mostly, he claims, to go across the top of the T to get to the next street and have an address to give to the police, who he requested call him for directions when they arrived at the development. After finishing the call (and the two minutes started elapsing) he went to the street at the end of the upper T and back to the T-intersection. According to TM's girlfriend who was on the call with him, TM had gone as far as at the house he was staying at (which was down the stem of the T about 100 yards away) but was fuming at the guy previously following him and decided to loop back to accost him, which happened around the intersection. I think it's hard to fault GZ much here, even if you don't accept his claim that he was going down the path to get an address. At most, he was a slightly overzealous neighborhood watchman.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Given police response times, I'd say this:

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013 ... 766605.jpg
I was just commenting generally about police response times, not about the Zimmerman case.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

bovarchist wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
"Against the expressed advice and request of the police" -- yeah, that's the counterargument people keep making, and they always seem to think it's some sort of 'gotcha'. I really don't see it. Like, because he didn't listen to the 911 operator, it suddenly becomes reasonable or legal for Martin to attack him, or he somehow no longer deserves sympathy.

Or the fact that Zimmerman didn't "intervene" in anything; he'd already lost sight of Martin by this point, was simply trying to ascertain which direction he had gone in, and was already headed back to his car as instructed when Martin stepped out of the shadows. (see, I can use italics too).

People who put stock in the 911 operator's instructions should remember that emergency personnel also instruct people not to run back into a burning building to save a baby. If someone was injured doing so, I suppose you'd feel he deserved it and shouldn't receive health coverage.
I hear you, but you need to make a choice, if you wish to be consistent: either you respect the police and, for example, give them more of the benefit of the doubt when they claim to be acting in self-defense (as we do) and also listen to them when they tell you what to do, or you allow folks to ignore the requests of the police and stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. What bugs me here is what appears to be a double-standard.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Kirbmarc wrote:I don't know. Maybe I am missing something. Did Zimmerman do anything that could have been reasonably interpreted as a threat?
Imagine that you are in your own neighborhood, at night, and someone is following you. Would you consider that threatening? If not, then OK. I, personally, would find that at least somewhat threatening, but I also would not have confronted the person.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Yeah I'm starting to get the uncomfortable feeling that to some pitters there's never bee a dead black guy who didn't have it coming.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

I hear you, but you need to make a choice, if you wish to be consistent: either you respect the police and, for example, give them more of the benefit of the doubt when they claim to be acting in self-defense (as we do) and also listen to them when they tell you what to do, or you allow folks to ignore the requests of the police and stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. What bugs me here is what appears to be a double-standard.
I really don't see how me finding it reasonable for Zimmerman to attempt to figure out which way Martin went so the police would have some information to work with translates to me not having respect for the abilities of the police.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I don't know. Maybe I am missing something. Did Zimmerman do anything that could have been reasonably interpreted as a threat?
Imagine that you are in your own neighborhood, at night, and someone is following you. Would you consider that threatening? If not, then OK. I, personally, would find that at least somewhat threatening, but I also would not have confronted the person.
If I weren't sure if the person was planning to attack me I would consider it potentially scary, but not a direct, explicit threat to my life. I would probably politely ask at least once for the person to identify themselves or stop following me, and if they didn't, I would run to a safe place (and call the authorities).

It's safer to avoid confrontation if you don't know what is going on and have a clear way to get out potential trouble.

Nothing prevented Martin from asking Zimmerman to stop following him, or from running away, or from calling the police himself. He chose to attack Zimmerman out of the blue, so he was the one who initiated the physical confrontation and threatened Zimmerman's life.

What Zimmerman did was perfectly lawful. What Martin did wasn't.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Yeah, ok. But only if it's not got anything to do with the whole Ferguson thing. You're not charging at a cop with it, are you?
It depends. Is the cop hot?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:(Although, in Christina's "defense," she apparently warned from the start that she'd say "Go fuck yourself. Blocked." to anyone who dissented, so it wasn't really targeted at this particular fellow per se.)
She's still an obnoxious cunt.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

We should talk about how black guys have big cocks. For SN. If she's into that, naturally.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
If he is, then I suggest skipping the "shoot at the center of mass" and go straight to "shoot for the head (in case it's uncircumcised and, therefore, wearing a vest)."
Foreskins can stop bullets? Hmm. I learn a new thing every day. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

comhcinc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
It depends. Is the cop hot?
I never thought it through that far... Do you want the cop to be hot? And you're talking about the cop being near those burning buildings, right? :lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:We should talk about how black guys have big cocks. For SN. If she's into that, naturally.
When the lights are out, black = white = a well shaped carrot found in the produce aisle. Either way, I'm going to turn over and fall asleep when I'm done. :D

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

bovarchist wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:

FFS, the 911 operator asked, 'can you see him now?', and Zimmerman said, 'no -- let me look around the corner' or something to that effect. Also, it was after sunset and the rain was coming down in sheets.

For the last time: Zimmerman was not trying to initiate an encounter -- we was trying to get the cops to come out and approach Martin.

Martin and Brown both went out of their way to pick a fist fight with someone holding a gun. They were stupid, and their stupidity got them killed. End of story.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

bovarchist wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

I really don't see how me finding it reasonable for Zimmerman to attempt to figure out which way Martin went so the police would have some information to work with translates to me not having respect for the abilities of the police.
First of all he has escalated the situation into foot pursuit, loses him, and instead going directly back to his vehicle, turns up the path to look for him.That is stalking him and it's only natural to consider that as aggressive threatening behavior.
Furthermore, when people say that Martin doubled back and attacked Zimmerman, that's only Zimmerman's account of what happened. No one else witnessed the confrontation. I don't believe anything that dickless twat says without other evidence, especially considering his other violent bizarre behavior unless there is corroborative evidence.
On the other hand you have a well dressed person versus a kid dressed like a thug, at least according to certain Slymepit fashion critics.
My thought is that if John D had been on patrol that night, he would have been wearing tights and a cape, and Martin would have realized he was a good guy and not a threat. :dance:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

katamari Damassi wrote:Yeah I'm starting to get the uncomfortable feeling that to some pitters there's never bee a dead black guy who didn't have it coming.
I tend not to hang out at funeral homes.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

I too, find it appalling that George Zimmerman shot poor Dan Brown and was not indicated by the Grand Journey. When will police learn to shut up and listen?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Scented Nectar wrote:
another lurker wrote:We should talk about how black guys have big cocks. For SN. If she's into that, naturally.
When the lights are out, black = white = a well shaped carrot found in the produce aisle. Either way, I'm going to turn over and fall asleep when I'm done. :D
OK now I'm wondering if you're turning over to sleep on your back or turning over to sleep on your front. :?: :?: :?:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

katamari Damassi wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Yeah I'm starting to get the uncomfortable feeling that to some pitters there's never bee a dead black guy who didn't have it coming.
Oh, come off it. I know you're being partly tongue-in-cheek, but still. Having two particular cases where you defend a white guy shooting a black guy as acting in self defense implies that you believe all cases of a white guy shooting a black guy are justified? That accusation seems to stem psychologically from the reverse: that any time a white man shoots a black man, racism must play a major role. I thought we'd need JacquesCuze for that. ;)

Here's a recent example of a white man who shot a black man, claiming he felt threatened, where he was most justifiably found guilty. Closer to where I live, here's an example of a cop shooting an ethnic minority (Arab, in this case), where the officer has been charged with murder 2, justifiably in my opinion.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
If I weren't sure if the person was planning to attack me I would consider it potentially scary, but not a direct, explicit threat to my life. I would probably politely ask at least once for the person to identify themselves or stop following me, and if they didn't, I would run to a safe place (and call the authorities).

It's safer to avoid confrontation if you don't know what is going on and have a clear way to get out potential trouble.

Nothing prevented Martin from asking Zimmerman to stop following him, or from running away, or from calling the police himself. He chose to attack Zimmerman out of the blue, so he was the one who initiated the physical confrontation and threatened Zimmerman's life.

What Zimmerman did was perfectly lawful. What Martin did wasn't.
Here comes the science. Martin was a teenager. He, even if the most level head person in the world, had poor impulse control. Zimmerman was in his 30s. Nevermind life experience, his ability to make decisions were just better. His mind was mature.

Am I saying that somehow means that Zimmerman guilty? No, he was not guilty of a crime. Martin was. Am I saying that Zimmerman should have been able to anticipate an issue and could have took steps that would have prevented the death of another human being? Fuck ya I am.

Also has Zimmerman proven to be a complete piece of shit after this indecent? Yeah.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:Hilariously though, that was what happened. There weren't any cops around when this SJW was getting scared and running back to the cafe. The only people around were his fellow protestors. Why would he worried? Why would he be afraid? These were his people!
Maybe he is one of the SJWer type who feels if they get mugged or attacked that they have it coming for being privileged.

John D

Post by John D »

I take back anything generous I said about the parents of Brown. His step Dad yelled at the crowd to "Burn the Mother Fucker down!"

http://cnnuslive.cnn.com/Event/Grand_ju ... /134626567

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/PkqGxOG.jpg

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

deLurch wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:Today, she has an article in Slate critical of a New Jersey state bill that would broaden the sexual assault definition to include when misrepresentations are made in order to get sex. I guess the author of the bill thinks retroactive removal of consent should make it count as rape. But Marcotte definitely isn't on board, and amazingly enough, this article reads like it could have been written by Cathy Young or Christina Hoff Sommers.
It's all fun and games until women are charged with rape for misrepresentations about use of birth control.
jugheadnaut wrote:So, the question is why? Is she seeing career opportunities go by the wayside because she's considered too radical and now wants to pivot to the mainstream? Or is she tired of routinely getting 80% negative comments on a left-leaning publication like Slate? Perhaps she read some Cathy Young and thought 'wouldn't it be nice to just write sober, rational columns with conclusions based on evidence rather than the usual strident material with evidence based on conclusions? (Nah, probably not.) I'm guessing, though, it's just a phase. She'll have some kind of triggering event and the old Amanda will be back with us before long. I like this new Amanda, though. I hope we get at least a couple more months of her.
Maybe some of the backlash against feminism's more outrageous behavior is starting to sink in. The bad behavior gains them nothing of value, turns rape into a meaningless joke, the liberal left is starting to hate them as much as they hate the religious right, it is pushing people to start consuming right wing media sources, some people are even starting to switch voting patterns. Gay rights, open abortion clinics & taking care of the poor is all fine & dandy, but as soon as legislation starts to be pushed that actually threatens you... well you might start thinking about switching sides.

If feminism doesn't clean up the fucking mess they have made, the movement is appears to be near a tipping point at which no one will want to associate with them.
With most feminists and Marcotte especially, Occam's Razor asks, "what's in it for her, what's in it for women?". She clearly says in the article:
But more importantly, this law is so vague and wide-reaching that it's easy to see how pretty much everyone could be considered a rapist, because, as any quick perusing of OkCupid can tell you, representing yourself as someone you are not is a universal behavior. All of us are claiming we woke up like this, and we are all lying.
+ I'm on the pill
+ 26
+ No, I have no kids.
+ No, I am not married
+ Never married
+ Sure, I'd get married
+ They're real
+ I'm a student
+ I'm employed
+ I'm in high tech
+ I write for the Times
+ That's not my dick, I don't know how it got there.
+ I don't have Herpes
+ I didn't know my herpes was flaring up

I

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jugheadnaut wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Zimmerman didn't provoke the altercation; he didn't even precipitate the personal interaction. He observed a stranger acting suspiciously in his neighborhood , and called it in to the cops. The dispatcher told him - quite clearly - to back off, not engage, and let the police do their job. Zimmerman ignored this request and continued to follow Martin for several more minutes. Martin tracked back & punched Zimmerman in the face.
FTFY
We actually know the timing pretty accurately because we have the beginning and ending timestamps of GZ's and TM's phone calls and the first 911 call reporting the fight. TM's call ended almost exactly two minutes after GZ's, and the fight would have started right afterwards. So 'several' minutes is a bit of a stretch. More importantly, GZ didn't see TM during this time. TM had run down an unlit path between the houses where there was a T-intersection a short distance away. While still on the phone with the dispatcher, GZ began following the path in part to see if he could find which way TM went, but mostly, he claims, to go across the top of the T to get to the next street and have an address to give to the police, who he requested call him for directions when they arrived at the development. After finishing the call (and the two minutes started elapsing) he went to the street at the end of the upper T and back to the T-intersection. According to TM's girlfriend who was on the call with him, TM had gone as far as at the house he was staying at (which was down the stem of the T about 100 yards away) but was fuming at the guy previously following him and decided to loop back to accost him, which happened around the intersection. I think it's hard to fault GZ much here, even if you don't accept his claim that he was going down the path to get an address. At most, he was a slightly overzealous neighborhood watchman.
Fine, but "following" /= "engaging".

Anyway, even had GZ done it (he didn't'), "challenging" a stranger is legal. What's streng Verboten under SJW Sharia: suspecting a young black man you've never seen before who's wandering aimlessly through your neighborhood while it's raining cats and fucking dogs of possibly being a burglar when your neighborhood has been victimized by a spate of burglaries & home invasions committed by young men.

The fact that Martin actually was a burglar, but was probably just out smoking a joint that night, only adds to the irony and pathos of the story.

We broke the 'Pit once already over this. I say, let's break it again.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

bovarchist wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
OK now I'm wondering if you're turning over to sleep on your back or turning over to sleep on your front. :?: :?: :?:
I think most of my turning over to sleep is on my front. Deeper sleep in that position for me usually. 'Scuse the literal mode. My name is Nec...

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote: My thought is that if John D had been on patrol that night, he would have been wearing tights and a cape, and Martin would have realized he was a good guy and not a threat. :dance:
My hero outfit does not use a cape! My daughter's does however.

I am not much of a fighter. I would not have tried to follow Martin... if I ever even found myself in the position of being on watch. When I was in 5th grade I was on safety squad, but I got dismissed because I didn't report enough people. I was only a bit disappointed, because reporting people would have left me getting a black eye from some thug. I figured that it was no business of mine if a 6th grade thug jay-walked. It was his life... fuckem if he got hit by a truck. Haha... I really didn't care for thugs... even then. Hit by a truck! Cool!

I have no right to weigh in on the Martin case because I am a racist.

On another note:

songs on the Sunday Assembly play list....
Puff the Magic Dragon
Precious Friend
This Land is Your Land
Rudolph the RN Reindeer
Pure Imagination
Winter Wonderland

PS - Greta is an idiot.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The fact that Martin actually was a burglar, but was probably just out smoking a joint that night, only adds to the irony and pathos of the story.
Except that isn't a fact.

You are a smart guy and if you don't have full knowledge of this case you know where to find it.

Why do you feel the need to lie?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

comhcinc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Photo goof of the century! Looks quite real, even if unnaturally endowed, until what's in the circle becomes clear. :lol:

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

John D wrote:I take back anything generous I said about the parents of Brown. His step Dad yelled at the crowd to "Burn the Mother Fucker down!"

According to CNN that was his stepfather who did that, not his father who is one of the people that has been calling for only peaceful protests.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/us/michae ... topstories

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Biohazard wrote:
John D wrote:I take back anything generous I said about the parents of Brown. His step Dad yelled at the crowd to "Burn the Mother Fucker down!"

According to CNN that was his stepfather who did that, not his father who is one of the people that has been calling for only peaceful protests.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/us/michae ... topstories
DERP! Misread your comment, nevermind...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: First of all he has escalated the situation into foot pursuit, loses him, and instead going directly back to his vehicle, turns up the path to look for him.That is stalking him and it's only natural to consider that as aggressive threatening behavior.
That's not fucking "stalking." Stalking has a legal definition. Zimmerman did not stalk. Zimmerman was in his own goddamn neighborhood. He had a legal right to go wherever the fuck he wanted. He had a legal right to walk right up to Martin and say: "Hey, you -- what the hell are you doing around here?' Martin had the legal right to say, "fuck you, old man -- I live here.' Martin did not have the legal right to approach Zimmerman, knock him to the ground and wail on him.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I too, find it appalling that George Zimmerman shot poor Dan Brown and was not indicated by the Grand Journey. When will police learn to shut up and listen?
If Zimmerman would have shot the author of the Da Vinci files then I would consider that justifiable homicide. :bjarte:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote: Photo goof of the century! Looks quite real, even if unnaturally endowed, until what's in the circle becomes clear. :lol:
The videos are a laugh riot to watch. They dump gallons of "cum" on those poor hardworking girls.

dogen

Post by dogen »

comhcinc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Another fucker caught lying for Jesus!