Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Mykeru

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
deLurch wrote:So it is interesting the myers had at least enough smarts to hide that article from his primary blog roll listing (I guess you would call that his front page of blog posts). But it is still available if you select the left/right links on his other blog posts. But to the best of my knowledge it wasn't removed from his blog front page until Ophelia Benson posted her article with link to his blog post which is still available.
If I go to Pharyngula *pukes*, it's still there on the first page.
When I called the U Minn, I couldn't find it at first, but that's because I was scrolling down through what I thought was a day or weeks worth of posts without seeing it. Silly me, paid-for-the-pound Myers was slapping up several low effort posts a day. It's there, like 12 posts down.

Also, I apologize immensely to everyone in the word for saying "backslash" instead of "forward slash".

John D

Post by John D »

Oh, Onion.... sometimes I love thee.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/5-disn ... e=facebook

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:A Volkisch run wilderness guide company in Canada denies a Christian woman a job due to her faith:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... an-school/

http://i.imgur.com/FD1ni5Z.png
Pit field trip! Boo ya!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:
"It is possible to identify Ogvorbis. I have discovered a truly marvellous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain."
:lol:

And I have a secret plan to end the war in Vietnam.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Could Ogvorbis be actor Stephen Collins?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Mykeru wrote: Also, I apologize immensely to everyone in the word for saying "backslash" instead of "forward slash".
Understandable mistake. The word is desriptive of the general nature of the call.

piero

Post by piero »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
screwtape wrote:The 'a' in orange isn't really pronounced as an 'a', but more like either an 'i' ("oringe") or a schwa ("orunge"). I see no problem in rhyming 'cringe', 'minge', 'whinge' and 'binge' with it.) Plus that gave me a chance to ostentatiously fail to use the perfidious Oxford comma!)
I can't remember either the name of the principle or the specific rules involved, but certain words require a two-syllable rhyme for it to "sound right" to most people. Orange is one of these words, so just finding something with "-inge" doesn't cut it; needs "-or-inge." (With that said, I now need to go watch the South Park episode where Oprah's vag robs a bank or something, due to seeing the word "minge.")
For a rhyme to sound right, the last stressed syllable and the syllables that follow it must have the same pronunciation. If "orange" is pronounced ˈȯr-inj, then "door hinge" is pretty close, if you don't aspirate the h.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hey Paulie !-- you still owe me money. 48 hours and counting, asswipe.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

fuzzy wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Also, I apologize immensely to everyone in the word for saying "backslash" instead of "forward slash".
Understandable mistake. The word is desriptive of the general nature of the call.
You people are having a personal vendetta on your auto-correct?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

deLurch wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I haven't kept up with Dr. Who for the last couple of years or so. Can someone tell me what's going on. Today an acquaintance of mine who's a religious catholic homo, who is neither a priest nor Andrew Sullivan, posted something on Facebook about how happy he is that the recent Dr. Who episode was so "pro-life". Anyone know what he's talking about?
If I told you, it would ruin the episode for you or anyone else reading here. It really isn't a "pro-life" episode so much as Dr. Who has always been pretty much the kind of character that doesn't want to kill aliens or humans.
I thought the Doctor insisting it wasn't his responsibility to make the decision and leaving it to the humans (who were non-coincidentally all female) to decide whether or not to kill the space flea before it hatched, along with the word "abort" on the bomb controller, made it fairly clear there was an abortion metaphor going on. Exactly what conclusion was arrived at - either "abortion is wrong", or "abortion is a choice entirely in the woman's hands", or even "if you're male, you're in the wrong no matter what you say, so you may as well keep your mouth shut" - or whether no conclusion was arrived at and the idea was just to raise the question, is harder to say.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

katamari Damassi wrote:Could Ogvorbis be actor Stephen Collins?
"What normal, red-blooded man, such as myself, hasn't placed an 11 year-olds hand on his semi-erect penis?"
-attributed to P.Z. Myers (by me)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I would love to get the defenders of Ogvorbis to walk me through their position on free will which allows them to simultaneously blame Shermer for what they allege that he did, while not holding Ogvorbis accountable for what he admitted that he did. I would particularly amused if their position - assuming they have one that can be articulated in grunts and screeches - turned out to be the same as Sam Harris'.

Oh, I can do that for you: 'Because' and 'reasons.'

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Mykeru wrote:
"What normal, red-blooded man, such as myself, hasn't placed an 11 year-olds hand on his semi-erect penis?"
The best things in life are free.

Unless someone blabs, that is. :o

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Ogvorbis could derail a funeral with his mopery. Man, the chumps never get tired of soothing his boo-boos.

http://imgur.com/kyBKWwW.png
What the mothercuntfuck? Didn't he say that the Boy Scout leader was there the first time and the molested the other girls a couple years later?

Am I the only skeptic here?
No, he did not say that. He said he was babysitting and raped them. No scout master was involved.

Two things, however:

One, he's still playing the widely discredited 'recovered memories' game with his behaviors and stories.

Two, there is no excuse, children who are molested do not grow up to be molesters beyond what one could expect in the entire general population. So, basically, if 2% of people are child molesters, only 2% of molestation victims will grow up to be molesters.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Ape+lust

My mistake, I could have sworn I first highlighted this. Sadly, it appears I am just a narcisstic bandwagon jumper, whose memory makes them out to be much more of a cool kid than they actually are:

http://i.imgur.com/I3tCwlu.png

viewtopic.php?p=140540#p140540
Ohhh that's right.
So sorry, he is so sorry, but he just HAD to drop his heavy handed hint that there was more to the story.
rofl
My conclusion then as now is that he's a disingenuous ass.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Has someone, by any chance, saved Myers' post where he doxxes Skep? It would be a shame to see it go down the memory hole, and I'm not internet-savvy enough to do it myself.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Skep tickle wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all of the support today, everyone (here & Twitter). I really appreciate it.

I'll have you hold off on phone calls to my employer, drunk or sober, for now. :shock:
That dox was one of the shittiest moves I've seen anywhere on the internet (and I finished it twice, end boss is a real bugger). The only positive thing I can get out of this is that now I can put a face on your nym. I really hope no clowns are going to try and get you into trouble. If they do, well, that will mean "war". I'm only slightly hyperbolic here.
Shitty move, yes, but to clarify neither this one or the one in the past (a little more than a year ago, I think?) apparently count as doxxing.

I had initially posted on FTB under my first name (I'm not big on nyms and didn't realize that transparency could lead to trouble on an A/S site), and as Zvan or Benson so helpfully pointed out last year I had pointed between that one & a nym so that made the connection easy. What they did was tell people a simple search that would find me readily...and then they & their commenters posted some of the information they found w/ that search, mostly about my occupation (though, amusingly, they got some key details wrong).

One of their commenters also helpfully pointed out that more of my name could be found through the avatar, which I had had no idea about.

Gurdur did a post about the "doxxing" at Heathen Hub, and I did post my name there, figuring since it was known that my doing so took some of the sting out of them having control over it. I would prefer my name not be used at atheism-related sites, still, for the potential issue of it showing up there on a search of my name & scaring patients & families who fear atheists.

So the name is not news to them, but I would prefer it not be used. The link to work* is new, I think, and definitely the suggestion that people convey feedback to the university stomps all over "the line", with big boots.

*I haven't checked which link to work he posted. It may be the page with the 15-year-old photo & info that hasn't been updated in a long time. The page w/ the updated information on the hospital's website will soon have an up-to-date photo, post-cataract glasses & all.

I find it funny that with all those eyeballs on my name, noone has checked my LinkedIn profile in the past couple of days. Not that I'm sending anyone there, it's just that you'd think a skeptical Horde member (haha yes I know, an oxymoron) might go looking for more info.

There is also a funny aspect to Myers suggesting people call my employer but I shouldn't post anything more than that publicly because it might help his effort.
Sure, not doxxing, just a petty, vindictive, hateful, small man, ugly within and without.

Yet probably with little or consequence, beyond the cultic minds still under his sway.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Mykeru wrote:
Forget touching, I understand he's given gonorrhea to a number of small children. According to Carrie Poppy.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Yet probably with little or consequence, beyond the cultic minds still under his sway.
Hm, a "no" rather obviously missing there,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Has someone, by any chance, saved Myers' post where he doxxes Skep? It would be a shame to see it go down the memory hole, and I'm not internet-savvy enough to do it myself.
Yeah I have it freezepaged, along with the first 30 or so comments. I froze it fairly early on.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
queequack wrote:Tony, ok, I looked through that thread. The guy, "ogvorbis" seems to indicate that he participated in some kind of sexual assault when he was a preteen and still in emotional turmoil from his own childhood abuse. Which doesn't erase what he did, but I also don't think it's quite the same thing as an fully functional adult who rapes children.
I agree with that last statement. And our laws support and recognize that teens are not as fully cognitively capable as adults. If they commit a serious crime, it is still a crime that is usually punished, but not to the full extent that an adult would be punished.
Here in America, we try teen sex crimes and murders as adults even when they're juveniles. I have seen several 12-year-olds tried as adults. The current record is an 11-year-old in Pennsylvania (Brown). Typically though, I tend to see it more around 13, maybe 14, for juveniles being tried as adults.

So, no pass. Besides, I knew at 12 not to kill people. Not rape people. Not to steal things. I may not have been an adult. But I had the capacity to reason, like most 12-year-olds, and knew these things were wrong (morality) and illegal.
Here is part of what bugs me about the Ogvorbis story. It is frequently conflated with his earlier story that he was assaulted when he was 6. But to the best of my knowledge, there is not a trend that those who are sexually assaulted are more likely to commit sexual assaults. That was all him. There was no 2nd adult present when he did that to those girls. A 6 year old kid was tied up. He was the baby sitter. The parents (evidently erroneously) believed he was sane & competent enough to babysit. And he said he knew it was wrong. This is a key divisor point that separates a 60 point IQ idiot who has no clue what they are doing and a fully competent person.

And for those thinking, oh, well he was only 12... Well if it is the case that no 12 year old is responsible if they rape someone, then clearly no 12 year old teen should ever babysit ever.

And to this day, pz myers knows all about this and could tip off the authorities, and has a full confession on his site with ip address, but he doesn't.

Again, the actions of a 12 year old don't carry the full weight of responsibility as those of an adult, but they do carry some responsibility that is measured with their age. So I am not in the "no harm-no foul, please babysit my kids" category.
Sure they do. Your wish to extend the 'excuse' of childhood years when it comes to rational, moral and legal behavior is not well founded. When one looks at Piaget's or Kohlberg's work on moral development, and how it's developed over-time, moral development in regards to the behaviors in question starts in pre-adolescence (8-10 typically). So, based on the models of human cognitive and psychological development, it's well understood that most children of that age are perfectly well-aware that what they're doing is WRONG (from a morality standpoint) and can be punished.

Now, not everyone develops. But that's not the point. The law and society don't care about whether it's working for you, personally, but whether it's providing a base-line of expected behaviors and you don't get to 'excuse' your actions because you lack moral development.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Say, little Paul, this is from what you are running:
or PZ, Nugent’s laissez affaire approach to moderation equated “defending & providing a haven for harassers, misogynists, and rapists.”
That’s right: PZ Myers says Slymepit members are harassers, misogynists, and rapists. It’s a blanket statement.
Provide evidence, or you tacitly cede that you're a fat lying fuck.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Want some irony? Go here and scroll to the bottom: http://www.morris.umn.edu/urelations/weeklybulletin/ UMinn-Morris is actually proud of PZ's tweeting.
That isn't all.
CAC Convocations Presents Bill Nye the Science Guy
headshot
Tuesday, October 14, 7:30 p.m.
P.E. Center Gymnasium
It is very difficult to keep track of all the people pz myers has accused of sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior with women. Is Bill Nye one of pz myers long list of accused.

I have seen Nye's name thrown around. But I don't remember who threw it.

google, google, google...

I believe it was McCrieght. Though she shit-canned the post and then put this up: http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... ng-my-ass/

But it might of been Kraus in the crosshairs. There was a lot of bullshit flying in those few 'feeding frenzy' days. And while Nye ended up in it, he never became a big target because of the "Grenade Post."

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Tribble wrote:Two, there is no excuse, children who are molested do not grow up to be molesters beyond what one could expect in the entire general population. So, basically, if 2% of people are child molesters, only 2% of molestation victims will grow up to be molesters.
The above has been said many times - especially around Oggie - but it is not actually true. The two best meta-analyses on this question (Jespersen, Lalumiere, & Seto, 2009, Child Abuse & Neglect; Seto & Lalumiere 2010 Psych Bull) both found that folks who sexually abuse kids are more likely to have been abused as a kid than either the general population or even groups matched for criminality (but of a non-sexual manner). It's a form of anti-victim-blaming that has forced everyone to then say - even after giving the data to suggest a link - that there is no *causal* link.

Now, the odds ratio for abusing given previous abuse isn't very high and the base rate is very low, so the chances of a previous victim being an abuser is still quite low. I think that it's this that makes folks always say that there's no *causal* link: there's no direct and perfect link, so you should not assume that anyone who says they're a victim will be an abuser. But the odds ratio isn't zero and the sexual fantasies of previous victims have a higher rate of involving kids.

With that said, there hasn't yet been enough good work to separate the genetic and general environmental components from the abuse, itself. Many abusers abuse their own kids while they are living together. When the kid grows up to also abuse, it's hard to know whether it was genetics, the crappy household environment, or the abuse, itself. One recent study actually found some evidence of a significant genetic component. What's a bit ironic here is that the same sort of analysis that gay men are citing to argue that "it isn't a choice" may come back and provide a smidgeon of support for the idea that innate gayness is related to pedophilia. Stay tuned.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Here's a recent version of Peezus's doxxing post archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/201410081722 ... ryngula%29

Remember folks, no clicks for FTB dicks.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Oops. Since I always think in term of log-odd-ratio, I wrote "zero" in the above, when it should be "one."

But you all knew that.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Glen_Davidson wrote:Say, little Paul, this is from what you are running:
or PZ, Nugent’s laissez affaire approach to moderation equated “defending & providing a haven for harassers, misogynists, and rapists.”
That’s right: PZ Myers says Slymepit members are harassers, misogynists, and rapists. It’s a blanket statement.
Provide evidence, or you tacitly cede that you're a fat lying fuck.
Don't hold your breath. If people found out he was a fat lying fuck, he might have to diet and tell the truth now and then.

I suppose the blanket claim that slymepitters are, among other things, "rapists" is probably not actionable in its present form. A cynical man would say this was a deliberate move to avoid a lawsuit by muddying the waters and using special snowflake invented definitions of words. If he did actually mean that slymepitters are individuals who are guilty of rape, then perhaps a Cease and Desist with a public apology requirement would be in order?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Avalyne wrote:
Hunt wrote: The violent rhetoric here is truly appalling. As are the animated gifs. Why, only a few pages back, some miscreant posted this violent interspecies cage fight, pitting a duck and a cat, egged on by a dog:

http://i.minus.com/i4c1eC3s2aRFG.gif
WOT? I thought they were mating.
lol. The dog is licking his chops. I bet he's hoping he gets to eat the loser.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I don't think Myers even realizes how hurtful and infuriating it is to classify Pitters as rapists, especially those who have been victims of rape. It's all fun and game for him, but I think it might not stay that way for long.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Forget touching, I understand he's given gonorrhea to a number of small children. According to Carrie Poppy.
Did you get the gonorrhea from Carrie Poppy first-hand or third-hand?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Gonorrhea story. Story.

Stupid iPhone.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Avalyne wrote:
Hunt wrote: The violent rhetoric here is truly appalling. As are the animated gifs. Why, only a few pages back, some miscreant posted this violent interspecies cage fight, pitting a duck and a cat, egged on by a dog:

http://i.minus.com/i4c1eC3s2aRFG.gif
WOT? I thought they were mating.
Mating is violence, shitlord.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Tribble wrote: But it might of been Kraus in the crosshairs. There was a lot of bullshit flying in those few 'feeding frenzy' days. And while Nye ended up in it, he never became a big target because of the "Grenade Post."
I think they were attacking Krauss on that particular occasion, as his name appears eight times in the comments, but Nye's name does not appear.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I don't think Myers even realizes how hurtful and infuriating it is to classify Pitters as rapists...
If what Myers thinks and says causes you pain, you're doing this wrong. Just sayin'.

oops. that was Grade-A victim-blaming, wasn't it?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Jan Steen wrote:Here's a recent version of Peezus's doxxing post archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/201410081722 ... ryngula%29

Remember folks, no clicks for FTB dicks.
Thanks. That's gonna come in handy as I seek compensation for his unauthorized use of my IP.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Did you get the gonorrhea from Carrie Poppy first-hand or third-hand?
Not sure if it was the first, second, or third; it was the one reaching around. :rimshot:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Gonorrhea story. Story.

Stupid iPhone.
Works both ways, really.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I don't think Myers even realizes how hurtful and infuriating it is to classify Pitters as rapists...
If what Myers thinks and says causes you pain, you're doing this wrong. Just sayin'.

oops. that was Grade-A victim-blaming, wasn't it?
Fuck off!

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Pharyngitis now seems to believe they have fresh ammo in the fight for Nugent's approval, citing MC's piece along with the canonical circular-file articles. Sigh.
Attachments
image.jpg
(219.39 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I don't think Myers even realizes how hurtful and infuriating it is to classify Pitters as rapists, especially those who have been victims of rape. It's all fun and game for him, but I think it might not stay that way for long.
The way he, an award winning Humanist, has it worked out is that we're the enemy, and entirely unworthy of understanding or compassion solely because we disagree with him, and utterly deserving of being called rapists. Just like he discovers nothing within himself to check the thought that he'd like to shank any Christian who might try to save his soul. In PZ's mind, any Christian unlucky enough to be around him in a crisis -deserves- to be stabbed.

I see no real difference in his justifications for what he does from that of any militant religious fanatic.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Tribble wrote:Two, there is no excuse, children who are molested do not grow up to be molesters beyond what one could expect in the entire general population. So, basically, if 2% of people are child molesters, only 2% of molestation victims will grow up to be molesters.
The above has been said many times - especially around Oggie - but it is not actually true. The two best meta-analyses on this question (Jespersen, Lalumiere, & Seto, 2009, Child Abuse & Neglect; Seto & Lalumiere 2010 Psych Bull) both found that folks who sexually abuse kids are more likely to have been abused as a kid than either the general population or even groups matched for criminality (but of a non-sexual manner). It's a form of anti-victim-blaming that has forced everyone to then say - even after giving the data to suggest a link - that there is no *causal* link.

Now, the odds ratio for abusing given previous abuse isn't very high and the base rate is very low, so the chances of a previous victim being an abuser is still quite low. I think that it's this that makes folks always say that there's no *causal* link: there's no direct and perfect link, so you should not assume that anyone who says they're a victim will be an abuser. But the odds ratio isn't zero and the sexual fantasies of previous victims have a higher rate of involving kids.

With that said, there hasn't yet been enough good work to separate the genetic and general environmental components from the abuse, itself. Many abusers abuse their own kids while they are living together. When the kid grows up to also abuse, it's hard to know whether it was genetics, the crappy household environment, or the abuse, itself. One recent study actually found some evidence of a significant genetic component. What's a bit ironic here is that the same sort of analysis that gay men are citing to argue that "it isn't a choice" may come back and provide a smidgeon of support for the idea that innate gayness is related to pedophilia. Stay tuned.
And I've read studies that point out those studies were flawed in how they gathered information. Much in same manner the early sex-studies, like Kinsley, were flawed.

Whereas going backwards from 'victim to behavior' yields the 'no significant statistical difference' in the general population vs the victim population rates.

Short answer that I took away from those studies: many perps claim to have sexually abused as an 'excuse.' So if you interview perps, you're data is corrupted with Oggie-tales.

So, maybe. Maybe not. I can only know what I read and I like the second-set that works backwards, better as it takes the excuse and story-telling element out of the picture.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I don't think Myers even realizes how hurtful and infuriating it is to classify Pitters as rapists, especially those who have been victims of rape. It's all fun and game for him, but I think it might not stay that way for long.
I can't tell if it is because they actually believe their rape culture logic that says society doesn't think it's a big deal, be he has previously expressed to knowing that rape allegations could ruin him. So, I don't think that's it. I think they all know full well how hurtful and harmful such allegations are and are just another silencing tool. He fully understands what he has written, and believes us to be 'fair game.'

I think Welch explained it well at Nugent's blog. We are the result of their cries that dissenters go elsewhere, andFreeze Peach nonsense. Now that our voice is being heard, it had become harrassment to just notice the bullshit they spew.

They need to control the narrative, and the best way they know how is by tarring all dissenters as being unhumans lacking even the right to speak out. We are then certainly too terrible to even listen to. I see them on blog after blog demanding Slymepitters be silenced. Just calling us misogynists has worn thin, so it was time to up the ante.

[/rant]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

In retaliation, I'm doxxing Ophelia Benson.

In her bio, it says she grew up in New Jersey. But after a little genealogical research, it turns out she was ... born on the Mayflower!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I just deleted 3176 tax returns off my jump-drive archives. Fuckin' A. Feels good to put the last of the old CPA firm shit down for good.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:[.quote="JacquesCuze"]I just read, okay, listened to, a really terrific and frustrating piece of fiction, The Martian, by Andy Weir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(Andy_Weir)[./quote]

So if I like Science Fiction, or perhaps more aptly in this case, fictional science, on a scale of 1 to 5, do you think it is worth reading?
I really enjoyed it. If you like Asimov's Marooned Off Vesta and stories like that, you'll like this one too. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 4 1/2 unless you are being ableist and insisting on whole numbers.

http://www.bestlibraryspot.net/ScienceF ... 27458.html
I loved the film MOON.
Not sure how I missed MOON, but it's on my list now, so thank you!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tribble wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Want some irony? Go here and scroll to the bottom: http://www.morris.umn.edu/urelations/weeklybulletin/ UMinn-Morris is actually proud of PZ's tweeting.
That isn't all.
CAC Convocations Presents Bill Nye the Science Guy
headshot
Tuesday, October 14, 7:30 p.m.
P.E. Center Gymnasium
It is very difficult to keep track of all the people pz myers has accused of sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior with women. Is Bill Nye one of pz myers long list of accused.

I have seen Nye's name thrown around. But I don't remember who threw it.

google, google, google...

I believe it was McCrieght. Though she shit-canned the post and then put this up: http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... ng-my-ass/

But it might of been Kraus in the crosshairs. There was a lot of bullshit flying in those few 'feeding frenzy' days. And while Nye ended up in it, he never became a big target because of the "Grenade Post."
All I remember is a few comments from a couple of people who were trying to make it sound like Nye was known for getting "handsy" at conferences. Can't remember who was making those laughable allegations but it all quieted very quickly.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Did you get the gonorrhea from Carrie Poppy first-hand or third-hand?

I wish....

...you hadn't said that.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Odintsova wrote:Pharyngitis now seems to believe they have fresh ammo in the fight for Nugent's approval, citing MC's piece along with the canonical circular-file articles. Sigh.
"Pharyngitis" -- good one! They are like a disease.

As a former marketing & promotion guy, I don't think PZ & his cultists promulgating my article is helping their cause. Just ignore it, would've been my advice. They may wish to fixate on the gonorrhea thing, but there' a lot of other really damning stuff in there. The links go straight to Myers' own words, and it's not pretty.

Peez knew my piece would inflame his Horde, and elicit their sympathy & adulation. He seems not to care anymore about his wider reputation, which had already been sinking like a stone. Are we sure Myers is still in Morris, MN, and not Waco, TX?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:In retaliation, I'm doxxing Ophelia Benson.

In her bio, it says she grew up in New Jersey. But after a little genealogical research, it turns out she was ... born on the Mayflower!
Legend has it that she was only transported on the Mayflower along with her coffin full on native soil.
She was originally summoned to this realm when the druids performed their first human sacrifice upon the completion of Stonehenge.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I haven't been through what you have, but I think the following still applies: "consider the source".

Myers is a mean-spirited fucking loser. Don't let the words of a vicious little bully affect you.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tribble wrote: And I've read studies that point out those studies were flawed in how they gathered information. Much in same manner the early sex-studies, like Kinsley, were flawed.
Yeah, when you do a sex study, and have sex with your subjects while you're studying them, the quality of your results is gonna take a slight hit.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Yeah, when you do a sex study, and have sex with your subjects while you're studying them, the quality of your results is gonna take a slight hit.
Those poor Zebra Fish.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

PZ really does seem to be losing his marbles today. He's got one post up about online harassment of women ... that he makes all about himself, and another one about Nugent's claim of an American-centric "deep rift" that he supposedly refutes with a story that has nothing at all to do with atheism. I think he needs to take a break. Make it forever, PZ.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
All I remember is a few comments from a couple of people who were trying to make it sound like Nye was known for getting "handsy" at conferences. Can't remember who was making those laughable allegations but it all quieted very quickly.
I managed to get a screenshot at the time of the tweet.

It was Ben Zvan who accused Bill Nye of sexual harassment.

http://i.imgur.com/w4ItQ6J.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

sinister wrote:
I can't tell if it is because they actually believe their rape culture logic that says society doesn't think it's a big deal, be he has previously expressed to knowing that rape allegations could ruin him. So, I don't think that's it. I think they all know full well how hurtful and harmful such allegations are and are just another silencing tool. He fully understands what he has written, and believes us to be 'fair game.'

I think Welch explained it well at Nugent's blog. We are the result of their cries that dissenters go elsewhere, andFreeze Peach nonsense. Now that our voice is being heard, it had become harrassment to just notice the bullshit they spew.

They need to control the narrative, and the best way they know how is by tarring all dissenters as being unhumans lacking even the right to speak out. We are then certainly too terrible to even listen to. I see them on blog after blog demanding Slymepitters be silenced. Just calling us misogynists has worn thin, so it was time to up the ante.

[/rant]
There's an expression -- a fate worse than death. That was a euphemism for rape and came from Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire written in 1781. And has been in literature, and common understanding, for hundreds of years. OR this from Tarzan of the Apes (1914):

"[The ape] threw her roughly across his broad, hairy shoulders, and leaped back into the trees, bearing Jane Porter away toward a fate a thousand times worse than death."

Further, we had, in our society, various statutory rape laws in regards to relationship power differentials. For example, in many States an employer having sex with his maid-servant or female employee was, by statute, a rapist because of the power differential.

And even now, despite all the claims that surround the issue, a man accused of rape finds it very difficult to rehabilitate his reputation or even put on a full-and-proper legal defense thanks the Rape Shield Laws that gut his right to a fair trial.

Beyond that, we have the basic ingrained social structure of 'the disposable male' and 'women & children to the lifeboats.' Concepts that help illustrate, If anything, in the West, especially middle-class (and above) women are/were in a gilded cage and to be protected from harm, even at the expense of their fathers, husbands, brothers or any conveniently-on-hand disposable male.

So when I hear all the bullshit around rape culture. And yet see a culture that is, at its core, designed to protect women (and children) from threats and dangers and even espouses the belief that 'rape is worse than death' while systematically reduce a man's ability to defend himself from false charges...

It's hard to take the concept seriously. Because if we really lived in a rape culture, things in the real world would be much different than the fevered dreams and bogus statistics of the Feminist movement.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:
I managed to get a screenshot at the time of the tweet.

It was Ben Zvan who accused Bill Nye of sexual harassment.

http://i.imgur.com/w4ItQ6J.jpg
Nye was probably just trying to squeeze his way past Steph who was bogarting the buffet.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mykeru wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Yeah, when you do a sex study, and have sex with your subjects while you're studying them, the quality of your results is gonna take a slight hit.
Those poor Zebra Fish.
Spit my drink on that one.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Who knew? I'm brain-washing Richard Dawkins:
some loon wrote:Cavanaugh’s wild ravings are chock-full of potential talking points against Myers, most of which are hilariously incoherent. He’s read by more moderate members of the ‘Pit, however, who take the best of the bunch and put them in a more coherent form. They in turn are read by even more moderate people, who again drop the worst and polish up the best. By this time people who wouldn’t dare hang around the ‘Pit, people like Nugent or Richard Dawkins, have started repeating sanitized ‘Pit talking points without realizing their source.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

I also think it was very sneaky of him to post your piece as if there were no links or proper spacing.