Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
sinister

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Graders stop grading!
Did anyone else read this in Dora the Explorer's voice a la "Swiper stop swiping"? No? Then NVM.
::hangs head in shame::
yes.

sinister

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I see anger, a strawman based on Mike Tyson (who is black, by the way :P ), some insults, and that's about it. If there was anything close to actual reasoned argument in there, I missed it. My bad, I'm sure. Care to try again?
I'm getting closer to calling it. :think:

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

If Zvan thinks that CFI is responsible for Melody's PTSD, maybe Zvan should help Melody to sue for worker's comp and/or disability. Even more: maybe Yimmy could take the case on pro bono. I'm quite sure that the judge will see through the strength of the evidence.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

sinister wrote:I'm getting closer to calling it. :think:
I'm starting the think that Aneris' scolding (RE spamming up Nugent's blog) was even more prescient. We boasted of how open the 'Pit is and how no-one gets banned, etc. We're being tested.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:It's also important we set aside what we suspect really happened when analyzing the legal ramifications. For, as of this moment, we have two current senior staff of JREF publicly stating that: 1) a TAM vendor did rape a TAM employee during a TAM; 2) that rape was reported to senior JREF personel; 3) JREF nevertheless chose to hire said vendor to appear at numerous future TAMs.
Objection! It is NOT established that the cigar party was a TAM event.

(I'm sure if you even need this for your argument, but you definitely don't want to include something that hasn't been demonstrated in your givens.)
Touché, counselor. :lol:

FTR, when I refer to "during TAM", I mean from the moment the gates open, until all attendees and staff leave the premises/are off the clock. Having run events like these, I assume all staff are on the clock, or at least on call, 24 x7. Also, if we book the hotel, we assume partial responsibility for what happens at the hotel. Same for shuttle buses, caterers, entertainers, etc.

The cigar party only matters if: 1) Smith claims the hosts/sponsors are culpable for her rape; 2) we accept the SJW premise that the rape had already begun when Shermer hid his first scotch under the table, thus manoevering Smith "into a position where she could not consent." She isn't, and I don't. Re future JREF liability for subsequent Shermer rapes, the party is irrelevant.

Re. a potential case by Smith vs. JREF, she'd have to show that JREF should have suspected Shermer was a rapist. Since he has no criminal record, she's got nothing on them. Now, fast forward to 2014. JREF supposedly does have reason -- Smith's report -- to suspect Shermer, so they are highly vulnerable to any claim by an attendee or employee that Shermer assaulted them.

I see that Wagg left JREF in 2010, but it's unclear whether Smith is still in their employ. JREF should be very proactive on this, and ASAP issue a statement denying that anything closely resembling sexual assault was ever reported to them. That still leaves them on the hook for any claims up to 2010, when Wagg as their agent was still booking Shermer. To be thorough, they should throw Wagg under the bus by stating he did report the incident to them, but described it as mos def not an assault.

IANAL, and I'm paid not for that advice.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Steersman -

IMO, a good discussion of racism, sexism, and stereotypes must include more than just the mean. Some of the best work on the differences between men and women, for example, is that which centers on the oft-found difference in variance, as well as or instead of differences in the mean. .... It explains why, when you focus on the upper tail (e.g., greatest scientists), you find mostly males. Not because males are "better" on average, but because they have more variance so they have a longer upper tail to the distribution.

tl;dr - shitlords can claim that the patriarchy is adaptive
Good points, though as you suggested, that so few are apparently familiar with the basic terms and concepts of statistics, and their implications, tends to preclude much in the way of a "good discussion" on those topics. Both Harris & Pinker have used the analogy with heights to some effect - as I've argued over on Nugent's blog - but many of the usual suspects - Benson & Lee in particular - seem to be too narrow-minded and pigheaded to consider those.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
sinister wrote:I'm getting closer to calling it. :think:
I'm starting the think that Aneris' scolding (RE spamming up Nugent's blog) was even more prescient. We boasted of how open the 'Pit is and how no-one gets banned, etc. We're being tested.
My one, only and final comment is :popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

UncaYimmy wrote: Do you even read the shit you write? It's patently obvious you're talking out your ass. Maybe you're used to people not calling you on your bullshit.
I am glad to have been exposed to this point of view, and appreciate the time you took to express it.

[youtube]hVfB8Nlsduo[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote:Lousy has the worst info graphic with the lamest sledgehammer message.

On behalf of PowerPoint Id like to apologise. Garbage in ...

http://i.imgur.com/jKwkA4B.jpg
I wrote a comment that is presently in moderation and as it is not likely to get through I'll post it here.
Well I guess that flowchart doesn't apply to you as you are not a powerful atheist leader but it must apply at least apply to PZ.
All of the horde, being the brainwashed dimwits they are immediately went to the left hand box , "the bitch is OBVIOUSLY making it up!", "There's no way our dear leader (PZ) would do anything like that".
Clearly, only a deluded fool would believe that PZ didn't assault that victim.
Oh, and that "trust but verify" option would classify me as a good feminist, even if I'm not as big a fan of Ronald Regan as you are.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

UncaYimmy wrote:Do you even read the shit you write? It's patently obvious you're talking out your ass.
Coming from the same hand that penned this beauty....
UncaYimmy wrote:Again: It's not a matter of belief but of opinion as to whether the events constitute a crime or even antisocial behavior.
...you really shouldn't be throwing stones.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Steersman wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
Steersman wrote:[.quote="JacquesCuze"]You don't have to say all X are Y to make a *ist statement.[./quote]
That does seem to be the definition: a categorical claim about all of a group. ....
Go to sleep and in your dreams think on the errors of your ways, because racist statements do not have to apply to every member of a class, they are beliefs about the class in general allowing for exceptions.
In your opinion. Your own quote of the OED clearly refers to all as a defining characteristic of racism:
JacquesCuze wrote:Explore
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... ish/racism
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
That's not saying all Blacks make excellent basketball players. It's saying that the aggregate race of Blacks are better basketball players than whites.
You may wish to take up that argument with the editors of the OED, and those of many other dictionaries – you may run into PZ attempting to do the same thing with “atheism”.
JacquesCuze wrote:It's a group thing Steers.
Yes, it is a group thing. But I think you’re conflating entire groups with subsections of them - a fairly common but quite problematic tendency. There is maybe some justification for throwing stones at Rebecca Watson & company for trying to tar all “women against feminism” with a narrow brush – i.e., “stupid” – but that doesn’t, in itself, make what she’s doing sexist.
I'll tell ya Steers, if you want

+ a good lawyer, get a Jew
+ a good doctor, get a Jew
+ a good accountant, get a Jew
+ a good diamond, get a Jewish jeweler

Don't trust 'em though, because

+ Jews have hook noses

And don't trust the media, because

+ Jews control the media
+ Jews control the banks
+ Jews control Hollywood

None of those Steers, are racist statements, or rather, all of them are, even though none of them describe ALL Jews.
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
This is a poorly phrased (and somewhat circular) description of how members of a race are defined by being different from other races.

Blacks make the best boxers.
Jews suck because they are loyal first to Israel.
Virginia is for lovers.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Racism is projecting a group stereotype onto specific people, ignoring the unique individualness of those people.
Racism is comparing two groups based on stereotypes of those groups.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Trust but Verify
That's a fucking laugh.

How are you supposed to verify anything when the mere asking of questions automatically relegates you to the MRA, rape apologist, misogynistic shitlord category?

Here's what Trust and Verify actually means....

http://i.imgur.com/FIOIzrV.jpg

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

HOLY FUCK. HAHAHAHAHAHA

[youtube]GGqPlYrrtKU[/youtube]

Watch for at least a minute or two. I couldn't make it very long myself... I just feel embarrassed for her.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Nugent is being all calm yet isn't backing down and is frustrating all hell out of the #FTBullies. Look at him deal with Improbable Joe and VitaBreve
(click the details to get the full conversation)
I'm still pretty cynical, and won't be surprised if he does eventually back down and there will really be no consequences for PZetals, but he's quite fun to watch right now.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Parody Accountant wrote:HOLY FUCK. HAHAHAHAHAHA

[youtube]GGqPlYrrtKU[/youtube]

Watch for at least a minute or two. I couldn't make it very long myself... I just feel embarrassed for her.
This is a video of Yemmi doing a poetry slam, right?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Tigzy.. :lol:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

UncaYimmy wrote:
sinister wrote:I'm pretty sure that if an employee tells you they were raped, you don't get to choose to believe it or not when deciding to report.
[insert "It's Not Jeff Wagg's Fault Rant]
Jeff Wagg became at least partially responsible, by being dragged into this by Mz. Smith. Yeah, Mz. Smith could (and in my opinion SHOULD) have reported it for herself. Instead she chose to share it with Wagg. Failure to report the accusation of rape to the "proper authorities" made Wagg an accomplice. She made a bad decision, he made a bad and apparently Shermer also made a bad decision in sleeping with Mz Smith. But now Mz. Smith & Mr. Wagg want their bad decisions to retroactively ding Shermer for them not reporting it when it occurred. This isn't even remotely reasonable from my point of view.

In fact, from my point of view it's sending up more red flags. All I'm seeing is that some people can't handle their own bad decisions while others can.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

I'm a little curious as to why the rage blogging crew is mostly silent about Shermer but is still obsessing about Richard Dawkins

sinister

Post by sinister »

Opyt wrote:
UncaYimmy wrote:
sinister wrote:I'm pretty sure that if an employee tells you they were raped, you don't get to choose to believe it or not when deciding to report.
Jeff Wagg became at least partially responsible, by being dragged into this by Mz. Smith. Yeah, Mz. Smith could (and in my opinion SHOULD) have reported it for herself. Instead she chose to share it with Wagg. Failure to report the accusation of rape to the "proper authorities" made Wagg an accomplice. She made a bad decision, he made a bad and apparently Shermer also made a bad decision in sleeping with Mz Smith. But now Mz. Smith & Mr. Wagg want their bad decisions to retroactively ding Shermer for them not reporting it when it occurred. This isn't even remotely reasonable from my point of view.

In fact, from my point of view it's sending up more red flags. All I'm seeing is that some people can't handle their own bad decisions while others can.
Aww man, you left out the mom's basement bit. That was the most exciting part!

Not related at all, I gave Bane666 another listen/watch on youtube and he is a pretty good source of info. Figured I'd share that as I bitched about him to you ages ago. So, thanks.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Even the plod think Jeff Wagg's a cunt!

http://i.imgur.com/rxkXlIT.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Steersman wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote: <snip>
Go to sleep and in your dreams think on the errors of your ways, because racist statements do not have to apply to every member of a class, they are beliefs about the class in general allowing for exceptions.
In your opinion. Your own quote of the OED clearly refers to all as a defining characteristic of racism ....
<snip>
You may wish to take up that argument with the editors of the OED, and those of many other dictionaries – you may run into PZ attempting to do the same thing with “atheism”. ....
I'll tell ya Steers, if you want
+ a good lawyer, get a Jew
And don't trust the media, because
+ Jews control the banks
None of those Steers, are racist statements, or rather, all of them are, even though none of them describe ALL Jews.
Seems to me there's an implicit qualifier - i.e., all - in front of most if not all of those statements, e.g., "all good lawyers are Jews", "all Jews control the banks". If the implicit qualifier were "some" then it would hardly be an issue, would it? But you might pay some attention to the concept of qualifiers, elucidated here for example:
"Lots" and "plenty" are also quantifiers, as they both describe the quantity of the noun in the sentence. The terms "lots" or "lots of" both imply a quantity of more than one, while the terms "plenty" and "plenty of" imply enough and more.
I haven't actually seen that point - an implicit "all" in the absence of specific qualfiers denoting portions - addressed anywhere yet, but it seems quite plausible to me. You're going to have to get down to brass tacks and provide solid evidence if you want to convince me otherwise.

UncaYimmy

Post by UncaYimmy »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I see anger, a strawman based on Mike Tyson (who is black, by the way :P ), some insults, and that's about it. If there was anything close to actual reasoned argument in there, I missed it. My bad, I'm sure. Care to try again?
You can't tell the difference between anger and contempt? Sigh...

As for you not seeing the reasoned argument, can't help you there. Give your lips a rest, then try reading it again.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I must live under another planetary jurisdiction. Because where I come from alleged rape is not equivalent to someone in the office next door you are accusing of taking your stapler without permission, and as such, is not a matter of internal disciplinary procedures.

Where I come from alleged rape gets kicked straight to the police, do not pass head office, because head office has fuck all to do with the adjudication in criminal matters.

What an absolute truckload of horseshit. Did Smith accuse Shermer of anything via the only substantive process we have of determining legality from illegality? The court system. Did she fuck! I wonder, oh I wonder, why the fuck she didn't. Actually I don't wonder.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Parody Accountant wrote:
paddybrown wrote: Anybody prepared to admit to fantasising about Elsie the Mofo? Or Melody?
Challenge accepted.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Tapir wrote:Even the plod think Jeff Wagg's a cunt!

I would argue that if Wagg didn't think it was a crime it wasn't a moral duty, which is where the CREDIBILITY DOES MATTER argument comes in. If he thought it was credible at the time, then he had a moral duty to report it. If he didn't think it was credible at the time, then what factors have changed between now and then, to make it credible?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Ogvorbis discovers that Cainaji has changed her nym again:

http://i.imgur.com/uosw1ZW.jpg

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I remember that he wrote something very similar after she flounced as Caine and came back as Inaji.

There is something fishy about this, although I can't quite lay my finger on it. It seems unlikely that Oggie is a sockpuppet of Cainajiyeska, but it seems equally unlikely that Oggie is genuinely confused in the same way twice. Are these two playing some kind of game?

freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/09 ... erdome-54/

John D

Post by John D »

Za-zen wrote:I must live under another planetary jurisdiction. Because where I come from alleged rape is not equivalent to someone in the office next door you are accusing of taking your stapler without permission, and as such, is not a matter of internal disciplinary procedures.

Where I come from alleged rape gets kicked straight to the police, do not pass head office, because head office has fuck all to do with the adjudication in criminal matters.

What an absolute truckload of horseshit. Did Smith accuse Shermer of anything via the only substantive process we have of determining legality from illegality? The court system. Did she fuck! I wonder, oh I wonder, why the fuck she didn't. Actually I don't wonder.
If anyone in my office told me they where sexually assaulted by a coworker I would call the police immediately. End of story. I wouldn't even ask them if they wanted me to call the police. I would just do it. How could I even consider another choice????

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Sorry to butt in, but you guys are having an intelligent argument....
JacquesCuze wrote:Blacks make the best boxers.
cf. The best boxers are black.

Assumption (based on experience): the latter is seen as being less racist.

The difference - and I can't believe that I'm going to say this - can best be seen using Bayes. The first statement boils down to p(good boxer|black) is high. The second boils down to p(black|good boxer) is high. The key to why folks prefer the later isn't because it's less racist - I would argue that they are equally racist. The latter is less racist simply because it's more useful for two reasons. First, p(black|good boxer) is higher than p(good boxer|black), and higher posterior probabilities are more useful than those closer to chance; they provide more information (in the technical sense of information). Second, the premise of p(black|good boxer) - i.e., p(good boxer) - has a lower probability than the premise of p(good boxer|black), and lower priors make the statement more useful as it's easier to think about a smaller starting set.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I got some Tweets from this guy. Apparently associated with #gamergate and does an online radio show. He was looking for info on Rebecca Watson.

Perhaps you fine students of Becky Booze can fill him in:

UncaYimmy

Post by UncaYimmy »

Opyt wrote:
UncaYimmy wrote:

Wow. The lack of critical thinking her is astounding. Any "it" Wagg could be "faulted" for assumes as truth the very thing in question.

There was no legal rape. It was drunken consensual sex.

She can call it rape if she wants, but if you call a dog's tail a leg, he still only has four legs.

And I believe what you're trying to call Wagg is an accessory after the fact, not an accomplice. Of course, you'd be wrong about that, too, but at least it's less wrong.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

JacquesCuze wrote:Racism is projecting a group stereotype onto specific people, ignoring the unique individualness of those people.
That's a bit too SJL for me, plus it seems to require stereotypes and that there be one target at a time. I define racism/sexism as taking ethnicity/sex into account when it is irrelevant. My definition allows for relevant information to be used without being racist/sexist and it draws attention to this by the wording.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

John D wrote:
Za-zen wrote:I must live under another planetary jurisdiction. Because where I come from alleged rape is not equivalent to someone in the office next door you are accusing of taking your stapler without permission, and as such, is not a matter of internal disciplinary procedures.

If anyone in my office told me they where sexually assaulted by a coworker I would call the police immediately. End of story. I wouldn't even ask them if they wanted me to call the police. I would just do it. How could I even consider another choice????
I wouldn't let them leave my office until the cops had arrived, regardless of protestations, if you tell me someone has committed a serious criminal act against your person, I'm lifting the phone to the police before you finish your sentence.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:
First Pit LOL of the day, thanks.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
paddybrown wrote: Anybody prepared to admit to fantasising about Elsie the Mofo? Or Melody?
Challenge accepted.
My feelings now at 1:09

[youtube]mjx2pclJQew[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:Ogvorbis discovers that Cainaji has changed her nym again:

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I remember that he wrote something very similar after she flounced as Caine and came back as Inaji.

There is something fishy about this, although I can't quite lay my finger on it. It seems unlikely that Oggie is a sockpuppet of Cainajiyeska, but it seems equally unlikely that Oggie is genuinely confused in the same way twice. Are these two playing some kind of game?

Yeah, something similar: viewtopic.php?p=159947#p159947

Could be down to nothing more than the fact that they're both a pair of freakin weirdos. Funnily enough, a google search on those sentences doesn't turn up FTB, just the linked Slymepit post. :think:

sinister

Post by sinister »

UncaYimmy wrote:
Opyt wrote:
UncaYimmy wrote: [insert "It's Not Jeff Wagg's Fault Rant]

Wow. The lack of critical thinking her is astounding. Any "it" Wagg could be "faulted" for assumes as truth the very thing in question.

There was no legal rape. It was drunken consensual sex.

She can call it rape if she wants, but if you call a dog's tail a leg, he still only has four legs.

And I believe what you're trying to call Wagg is an accessory after the fact, not an accomplice. Of course, you'd be wrong about that, too, but at least it's less wrong.
he is calling it rape. There now go shout at the mirror.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Opyt wrote:Failure to report the accusation of rape to the "proper authorities" made Wagg an accomplice.
Slow down, Hoss. He can only be an accomplice if what she did was criminal. It wasn't - at least, I don't see any possible crime.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Tapir wrote:Even the plod think Jeff Wagg's a cunt!

There are states with mandatory reporting of certain crimes. In Texas, you must report any felony, for example.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Racism is projecting a group stereotype onto specific people, ignoring the unique individualness of those people.
That's a bit too SJL for me, plus it seems to require stereotypes and that there be one target at a time. I define racism/sexism as taking ethnicity/sex into account when it is irrelevant. My definition allows for relevant information to be used without being racist/sexist and it draws attention to this by the wording.
I think it fits the definition the ADL was getting at and I tend to think it fits the definition most people use. I am somewhat surprised we are even having this conversation!

Stereotypes are some characteristic of a group of people. Perceived members of the claimed group fit that characteristic in basically a bell curve. A stereotype is in some respect the mean of that bell curve as perceived by some outside group that likes to stereotype groups. Two groups differ by mean and maybe variance, ie, have different stereotypes. Racism is projecting the group mean, the group stereotype, onto each individual member regardless of where an actual measurement of who they are might find them.

/end pseudo babble

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I couldn't parse Svan's latest for at least several minutes because I was laughing too hard. Did she really make the argument that Melody's Twitter PTSD* is somehow the fault of CFI? Seriously?

*Which apparently, according to her own husband, doesn't exist. (Yeah. We could've told him that.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Opyt wrote:Failure to report the accusation of rape to the "proper authorities" made Wagg an accomplice.
Slow down, Hoss. He can only be an accomplice if what she did was criminal. It wasn't - at least, I don't see any possible crime.
You got it about face hoss, as I read it, what is being suggested to you, is that it makes him an accomplice in the alleged rape, if indeed it was proven to be so. By admitting to knowledge of an alleged criminal act, and failing to provide the appropriate authority with said knowledge, he is by de facto, an accomplice.

Legally trained minds (mine is not) will No don't correct me if I'm wrong.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hilarious.
Outrageous. :bjarte:

sinister

Post by sinister »

Pitchguest wrote:I couldn't parse Svan's latest for at least several minutes because I was laughing too hard. Did she really make the argument that Melody's Twitter PTSD* is somehow the fault of CFI? Seriously?

*Which apparently, according to her own husband, doesn't exist. (Yeah. We could've told him that.)
Svan's post in summary: booga booga lawsuit, boo!

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Greg Lukianoff of FIRE wrote in defense of free speech at Huffpo, continuing some arguments I've been trying to puzzle through, which is why so many people confuse our cultural value of Free Speech with the First Amendment.

One thing in particular he wrote was
By trying to blot out unpleasant words and opinions, government and mob censors alike are essentially declaring that they would rather know less about the world they actually live in -- and they've decided that you should know less about it, as well. The result is that the general public will be less aware of those attitudes and may thus be lulled into a false sense of security, blinded to the existence and prevalence of problems in their communities. FIRE Co-founder and Chairman Harvey Silvergate put this very insight into practice as a young lawyer for the Massachusetts ACLU, when he successfully defended a group of neo-Nazis in court even though he himself is Jewish. He did so partly because he understood that people are better off when they're aware of the presence of bigots in their midst: "If there are Nazis in the room, I want to know who they are so that I can keep an eye on them." Simply put, it it is better to know the world as it is than stick your head in the sand and hope you'll be fine.
Which I've said here and elsewhere is one reason why I had appreciated the discussions at FARK which included all sorts of anti-semitism (not just disagreement with Israeli policy.). And that was to help demonstrate to myself and to others that anti-semitism is alive and kicking.

These days of course, and I have the "fark headline redlights" to prove it, FARK and so many other sites keep any thread that criticizes feminism off the site. Oh well.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

JacquesCuze wrote:Stereotypes are some characteristic of a group of people. Perceived members of the claimed group fit that characteristic in basically a bell curve. A stereotype is in some respect the mean of that bell curve as perceived by some outside group that likes to stereotype groups. Two groups differ by mean and maybe variance, ie, have different stereotypes. Racism is projecting the group mean, the group stereotype, onto each individual member regardless of where an actual measurement of who they are might find them.
This is not the definition used in social psych (which is the group, IMO, most likely to have a good definition). To them, a stereotype is a belief that a difference exists (on one or more measures) between the target group and people in general. There are no specific claims about shapes of distributions, etc. For example, I can (and do) hold a stereotype with regard to distribution shape when it comes to risk-taking: I believe that male risk-taking is more positively skewed.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Za-zen wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
You got it about face hoss, as I read it, what is being suggested to you, is that it makes him an accomplice in the alleged rape, if indeed it was proven to be so. By admitting to knowledge of an alleged criminal act, and failing to provide the appropriate authority with said knowledge, he is by de facto, an accomplice.

Legally trained minds (mine is not) will No don't correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, you meant an accessory after the fact, not an accomplice. Fine. Yeah. You could claim that.

sinister

Post by sinister »

The FTB crew is so used to bullying people into submission they jave no idea how to handle a well respected person who is having none of ot. It's hilarious! Maybe if they just say troll, misogyny, and lies more he will get it. Lunatics one and all.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Mykeru wrote:I got some Tweets from this guy. Apparently associated with #gamergate and does an online radio show. He was looking for info on Rebecca Watson.
Invite him over to our pool. Our collective knowledge is greater than any single part.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

@Za-Zen That was a pretty amusing miscommunication. You said "accomplice" which made me think you were talking about a crime committed by Smith, since Wagg was only with Smith at the time. You really meant that Wagg was an accessory after-the-fact to Shermer's crime, instead. That one word switch sent me off in the complete wrong direction.

Has anyone ever considered writing the meanings of words down in, like, a book, so we could all refer to it and use words the same way? That would be so cool. :)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Jan Steen wrote:Ogvorbis discovers that Cainaji has changed her nym again:

I've been saying for some time that oggie = Caine sock puppet. But alternate personality is also a possibility. Caine's gone through more transformations than David Bowie.

Post by Guest »

Mykeru wrote:I got some Tweets from this guy. Apparently associated with #gamergate and does an online radio show. He was looking for info on Rebecca Watson.

King of Pol (KoP) is sorta nuts.

You want me to link the stream? His 'show' is a substantially lower-level discourse than most of you are probably used to.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Caine's gone through more transformations than David Bowie.
Michael Nugent thread on the defamation of Ziggy Stardust in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Pitchguest wrote:Hilarious.
Outrageous. :bjarte:
:clap:

Two blog networks, plus speaker roles, plus mainstream media contacts, plus thousands of followers — they are being as much silenced as Evangelicals in the US are being persecuted.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

An interesting article by Popehat that makes me hoping Rebecca Watson, Amanda Marcotte et. al., and FTB especially hear the news

Texas Court Makes Upskirts Mandatory, Outlaws Kittens, Hates Your Mother

http://www.popehat.com/2014/09/21/texas ... ur-mother/

http://i.imgur.com/cRrXG58.jpg

If Oafie et. al., haven't covered this yet, boy I really want to alert them to the Salon article.

In other Popehat news, he's pretty pissed off the American Spectator caved, and caved with extreme prejudice, in a lawsuit to a "Vexatious Litigant and Domestic Terrorist".

But I also like this comment of his
It would be inaccurate to say that the American Spectator will lose credibility generally as a result of this decision. Its breathless partisanship and assorted oddities limit its credibility to its target audience of the like-minded. Doing this will wound its general credibility in the sense that the Weekly World News would hurt its credibility by doing a very one-sided hit piece on Bat-Boy. But this surrender will, and should, eviscerate its credibility with its target audience and its readers. First, how can it be taken seriously as an institution willing to speak truth to power if it caves to a frivolous lawsuit by a domestic terrorist?3 Second, how can they be taken seriously as a conservative institution that will question liberals, when they yield to a blatant attempt to abuse the legal system to retaliate against conservative viewpoints?

No. They're done.

A number of serious thinkers and good writers have written for the Spectator over the years. It's possible for a serious person to write for an unserious publication. (I have to keep telling myself that, since I wrote a couple of things for Salon.) But at some point it's fair to ask a writer why they are associating with a particular publication. I propose that we begin to ask that of anyone writing for the American Spectator — by email, by Twitter, by whatever medium available. Take, say, Ben Stein. You're an in-print and on-screen tough guy, Ben. Why would you continue to write for an institution that acted this way? Just asking.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Is it cruel as a woman, to 'accidently on purpose' bump into them just a little when walking past one? They are under strict OCD-like orders not to touch a female. :lol:
At one point (DSM-II?) there was a specific Axis-2 paraphilia for getting off on doing sexual things to folks who could not resist or respond due to religious prohibitions. My favorite case study was a Catholic women who was aroused by licking the hand of the priest as he put the wafer in her mouth.

Gotta love what Catholicism does to your sex-drive.
That's hilarious. She must have shocked any priest who she did that to. I don't get sexually aroused by pissing off religious people, but I do get some other type of satisfaction. Maybe like a revenge feeling, because I really hate the harm and deception they cause all over the world on a huge scale. Both mental harms, such as fears of hell, and physical harms, such as living environments run by religious laws in religious homes and theocracies. I enjoy seeing religions (and other scams) get exposed and pwned in videos. Also when I participate in stuff like Draw Mohamed Day and helping to spread the comics that the muslims freaked out about as well. I like doing that too.

I'm very glad that I don't have the Catholic woman's problem. That must cause her huge embarrassment and maybe legal trouble. It's funny though. I do all manner of mean things to religious people, but at least I don't sexually assault them. The brushing into orthodox jews to freak them out would be to challenge sexism against women in the only remaining place it remains in the world - theocratic rules/laws.

windy

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote:Lousy has the worst info graphic with the lamest sledgehammer message.

On behalf of PowerPoint Id like to apologise. Garbage in ...

http://i.imgur.com/jKwkA4B.jpg
Does Lousy think that suspected religious sexual abusers should be reported to the police, or not?

(insert shitty flowchart where yes = victim blamer, no = rape enabler)

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Scented Nectar wrote:I'm very glad that I don't have the Catholic woman's problem.
It took me a moment to realize that you were referring to the woman from the case study. For a moment I thought that you were talking about the more general form of the Catholic woman's problem, which I define as being so good at oral sex that nobody wants to have intercourse any more.