Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Gumby wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/E5GX5Mt.jpg[/img]
:lol:

I'm fascinated with simple caricatures, probably because I can't do them but would like to. In this case, we really just have a few lines, a circle and some scribbles with absolutely no shading and yet it's unmistakably Melody Hensley, as much as if it were a photograph. I'm familiar with pareidolia, and no doubt that's playing a big role here. But I wonder what percentage of people have the sort of features that makes them so easy to caricature clearly. Does the fact that she has such a distinctive hairstyle and glasses make this possible?
Actually, the face caricature came from this shop I found:
https://38.media.tumblr.com/61775c77839 ... 1_1280.jpg

The hard part for me was blanking as much detail and shadings as possible (to try to keep it kinda unicolor ala Tweety)while keeping it still unmistakably Hensley. It is weird - if I had just seen a crop of the face without the surrounding PTSD identifiers in the pic, I still would have known it was her. I guess it's just the gift humans have for pattern recognition.
She certainly has the Parsehole chin.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

another lurker wrote:https://www.indiegala.com/greenlight

Social Justice Warriors
Begone, foul temptress! You will not seduce my wallet this day!

http://pony.cscdn.us/pic/photo/2013/05/ ... fa_500.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

KiwiInOz wrote:
another lurker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ko78E6e.jpg
Where are the seagulls when you need them?
http://imgur.com/241rbCt.jpg

austin

Post by austin »

Ape+lust wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
But where is the Laden dude?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

You'll need the magnifier thingy for this one, but it's worth the read.

http://i.imgur.com/a7sBFNv.jpg

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Ape+lust wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely my biggest lol of the month. Even with all the Doug Stanhope posted earlier.

franc

Post by franc »

You all laughed at me like I was a lunatic.

eat your own shit.

Post by Guest »

Is everyone finally speaking out because the fucking video-game players stood up for themselves?

Jesus - I could be wrong, but this looks like a sustained push-back from a number of angles... or am I overly optimistic?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Gumby wrote:You'll need the magnifier thingy for this one, but it's worth the read.

http://i.imgur.com/a7sBFNv.jpg
It's very good. I'd suggest a closing panel where he walks away and one of them says "We win".

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

franc wrote:You all laughed at me like I was a lunatic.

eat your own shit.
https://processwire.com/talk/uploads/mo ... 283220.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

jugheadnaut wrote: It's very good. I'd suggest a closing panel where he walks away and one of them says "We win".
Very fitting.

I'll tweet that to the person who did it, if I can find s/h/it.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I hate you people for making me get a twitter acct. It's incredibly slow on my ISP.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

...and she was eaten by a pug. The End.

I love happy stories :lol: :lol:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Re: Nugents; Thanks everyone here for the support, also for the criticism from guest garlix (to me that's important too), always encouraging! Also great comments I've seen over there, SkepTickle, Jan Steen, Damion, Gestus Aurelius, Phil, Brive, Edward... and some other names I recognize but am not sure if they read here.

There were many interesting facets, personal ones, general points, whether sjl are as effective for feminism as it is claimed. The “other side” again has next to nothing and it appears once again that they don't want to bother with any criticism. There are plenty of perspectives now that were reasonably put forth.

Oolon and Tony in particular wanted to fall back on the established roles again, and push other people onto the shaming stage so that they can throw rotten eggs again comfortably from the crowd — as usual, where you can see them trying to get prerogative of interpretation again (i.e. make it about Shermer, Dawkins etc, then pretend that everyone who has a say there automatically supports the worst distortions and behaviour they attribute — they just don't get it).

Let's see if PZ Myers and co produce anything of substance, but I doubt it. They already think that one critical article, or two if you count the follow up, by someone they haven't set on fire yet are like a persecution — halfway trying to mock the idea of the witch of the week, as well as being somewhat concerned that everyone is against them. In reality, they have attacked Sam Harris, and Richard Dawkins almost at the same time, then warmed up Shermer on top, due to the buzzfeed article. All mainstream media articles so far were always heavily biased towards social justice league, thanks to their media friends, like Lee and Winston (Marcotte is still missing this time I think). Even if 200 comments at Nugents are quite a lot and if they were all all anti-myers (they aren't), its still a joke compared to social justice blogging where pz myers alone gets that number and then you have some skepchick and other bloggers add their blog posts and comments as well. Then Nugents article and all the comments quickly pale in comparison. But as said, social justice warriors require to feel like small David against Goliath. They are in intellect and individual status, but certainly not social media volume.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

OK. 4 beers in. Right now, what I have to say is that all the people slagging off on people speaking up now about the issues we have been discussing for the past few years are idiots. Alright, I understand you be perturbed that they didn't speak up before. But it does no good to cast them down now that they are doing something worth while. That is a foundation of the FTB movement. Accept when someone is doing something about it and be happy about it.

/I-await-my-reaming-in-return

James Caruthers

JackSkeptic wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:I agree, Jack, but would add this: It seemed to me that atheists in the US were close to seriously helping the secularists, but have now been distracted for several years by social-justice BS. If you talk to folks like Sean Faircloth, you'll learn that The Schism has cost them a lot of momentum. So, if you agree that the only logical next step for atheists in the US was to help support secularism, then maybe you'll agree that the social-justice BS has done actual damage.

That secularism in the US would benefit women about ten times as much as men is just ironic icing on the cake.
Yes agree, there has already been a lot of damage which is the point I was (badly) trying to make. It is more than a minor distraction, it is a tragic waste of precious resources and provides numerous weapons our opponents can use against us. How much has the work of CFI been affected? I suspect a lot. People such as Hensley are working directly against its aims. These people destroy, they never create. A leader speaking out only when it affects them personally does not impress me one little bit.
I suppose it's a bit surprising because it demonstrates a level of self-interest which I thought all right-believing social justice-leaning liberals had purged themselves of for the good of the underprivileged wocks and pocks!

"Men who are falsely accused of rape can sometimes learn from the experience." etc.

http://www.crimeandfederalism.com/2010/ ... t-men.html

Once a movement accepts the position of subservient toilet slave willingly, I have noticed it is rather uncommon for them to buck at the straps. The Concorde Fallacy.

[youtube]BvJZQwy9dvE[/youtube]

This speech really reached me when I was Christian btw.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Oh, and the excellent series by CoolHardLogic finally has another part...

[youtube]FH5S8nEo2eM[/youtube]

One would think, 10 parts just to debunk geocentricsm!? Like similar series', geocentrism is more of a good excuse to discuss what can be known about solar system, history of cosmology and our universe. What I like about this series, and others by CHL, is that he walks through scientific models, what observations led people to come up with that model, some historical mistakes, and he also explores “what if” models where he assumes for the sake of discussion that certain other models (e.g. medieval, geocentrist) were true. He even includes the math in a way that shows very well how the formulas work and what they mean. I believe its one the best series that illustrate the scientific method (most others, even Cosmos are fairly basic, lectures aren't well illustrated etc.). Animation, illustration and all that are also top notch for one person. There are shows with more production value, but they aren't usually done by one person out of their hobby room.

So, head over and give him some views and thumbs up. If you like cosmology, definitely check this series out if you haven't. He also has other series in similar style on homeopathy, the doomsday predictions and some loose batshit debunking.

https://youtube.com/user/CoolHardLogic

James Caruthers

BlueShiftRhino wrote:At the risk of doxxing myself, Sean and I are both from Maine and I've met him. He's good, but I wish that he'd gotten more feedback before going with his current 10 Point Plan for secularism. Plus, it wasn't at all clear to me that we needed a whole new secularist group in the first place. There's a tad too much ME in what he's doing (get it? "me" as in myself and "ME" as in Maine - funny stuff, these Rhino posts, I gotta tell ya), but at least he's doing something.

No word yet on how many women he's gotten drunk and fucked at political conventions
PZ, Oafie und I are vorking on zis az you spiek, Herr Rhino.

James Caruthers

deLurch wrote:OK. 4 beers in. Right now, what I have to say is that all the people slagging off on people speaking up now about the issues we have been discussing for the past few years are idiots. Alright, I understand you be perturbed that they didn't speak up before. But it does no good to cast them down now that they are doing something worth while. That is a foundation of the FTB movement. Accept when someone is doing something about it and be happy about it.

I think it is more a suspicion that these are fairweather friends who will fuck off the moment the SJWs mount a counter-attack.

SJWs are very adept and manipulating the biological desire of men to shelter women, and they combine this with lies, exaggerations and propaganda to create spin zones that make any opposition to them similar to a pubic admission of loving rape. :lol:

I wonder whether the sort of atheist who ignored SJWs for years and only now is speaking up will have the fortitude to weather that storm.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

eat your own shit.
A man and his monkey ....

[youtube]CL2mfrHpuEk[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:I think it is more a suspicion that these are fairweather friends who will fuck off the moment the SJWs mount a counter-attack.

SJWs are very adept and manipulating the biological desire of men to shelter women, and they combine this with lies, exaggerations and propaganda to create spin zones that make any opposition to them similar to a pubic admission of loving rape. :lol:

I wonder whether the sort of atheist who ignored SJWs for years and only now is speaking up will have the fortitude to weather that storm.
A fair rebuttal.

I think the people speaking up know are taking a calculated risk. They are very aware of the damage, or at least fear the damage that being on the wrong side of SJWers can cause. Hell, Justin V. did the whole chivalrous nose dive out of his position instead of standing up to it with all of the storm it entailed in order to protect his organization.

They very well may not be willing or able to stand against it. But we shouldn't add to the pile of hate as to the reasons why they back down. Give them support when they take a stand.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
The British Museum A History of the World in 100 Objects podcasts are pretty cool imo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ahow

James Caruthers

jugheadnaut wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I've been watching a lot of Karen Straughan this week. Particularly interesting are her statements concerning A Voice For Men, as they don't seem to match at all with the sentiments I see around here. If it were someone I didn't respect, I'd be able to dismiss their opinion based solely off the the pit's testimony, such is my esteem for you fuckers ;)

But I do respect her, so I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the group, and how they arrived at it.
I have very limited personal experience reading/watching A Voice For Men media. But my understanding is that the main complaint against them from these quarters is that while much of their stuff is fine, too often their anger causes them to cross the line into actual misogyny. Perhaps there are others that can provide examples.
They also clickbait just as bad as ANY of the gaming websites currently being slammed on #gamergate.

James Caruthers

Richard Dworkins wrote:Ugh. I've been barely able to tolerate the volume of shite pouring out of people mouths (on both sides of the shambles that's been called debate) over the last couple of weeks because of the Referendum and now it's spread here too.

Roll on Saturday.
The vote should have been decided by a basket-hilt claymore free-for-all.

Semi

Post by Semi »

Business insider has a good article dissecting the fake documentaries produced by the Discovery Channel and the History Channel claiming the existence of critters such as Megalodon, mermaids, and the Yeti.

http://www.businessinsider.com/discover ... ies-2014-9

Fake photos, CGI footage, fake experts, lies lies lies. Discovery Channel, you should be proud of yourself.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Our next witch of the week has just made the stage.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... pen.2.html

Cathy Young thoroughly debunks the 2% figure for false rape allegations. She mentions official data reported by the FBI has the "unfounded rape" rate at between 8 and 10%. She mentions another study that categorized a set of campus rape accusations and is cited as supporting the rareness of false rape accusations even though it came up with a number of 6.8%, over three times the preferred figure. In addition to the 6.8%, 52% of rape accusations were investigated and closed. There wasn't convincing evidence they were false allegations, but there wasn't evidence to charge the man either. No doubt, whatever occurred in a significant number wouldn't come close to the legal definition of rape and they were essentially false allegations.

Young gives the example of the incident at Ohio University that was widely discussed on the Pit at the time.
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10 ... 1501-0.jpg

Even though it was clear it was consensual and the man was cleared, this wouldn't be recorded as an unfounded rape allegation by either the FBI or the other study because alcohol was involved and there are differing opinions on the level of intoxication required before a sex act can be called rape.

And, of course the figures don't include cases where a woman publicly accuses a man of rape but doesn't report it to the police and then recants, or it becomes clear her allegations are false.

So the 2% figure is unmitigated nonsense. As an added bonus, Rebecca Watson is mentioned among those citing it.

It will be interesting to see the response. When something violating feminist dogma is published in a mainstream or left-leaning source, as it is here with Slate, feminists are particularly rabid about utterly destroying it and the author.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
The Steve Austin Show Unleashed

The Biggest Problem in the Universe

Hollywood Babble On

Penn's Sunday School

Car Talk

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:

Hollywood Babble On

Penn's Sunday School

Car Talk
Cognitive Dissonance

Friendly Atheist Podcast

Clownshoe's podcast, forget the title, very funny

Dogma Debate

The Human Bible

There is a podcast thread on another part of the forum, too lazy to link on mobile.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I typically convert youtube lectures and discussions. I use http://www.clipconverter.cc/ and it works flawlessly. Here are some ideas what you could be listening to...

Look up some names and pick what sounds interesting, there's material abound...

Just some usual suspects that always work...

Sheldon Solomon, lectures
Steven Pinker, interviews, lectures, discussions, debates (e.g. with spelke)
Richard Dawkins, same
Jerry Coyne, evolution is true talk is for example excellent
Sam Harris, discussions, talks, conversations etc.
Daniel Dennett, same
Feynman, e.g. the longer interview
Robert Sapolsky, lecture is possible but there are also excellent talks
Christopher Hitchens, in debates mostly
William Lane Craig, debates with/against him
Hirsi Ali, interviews, debates
Lawrence Krauss, discussions, debates
There are also a lot interesting crossovers, e.g. Pinker and Dawkins, Harris and Dawkins etc.

In addition you can check out...
TED Talks
RSA talks
Google Talks

This channel has more assorted stuff: https://youtube.com/channel/UCc6Mzh_DeaBooNdqha4bWMw

baud2bits, https://www.youtube.com/user/Baud2Bits whom I recommended before is very “listenable” as the images aren't required, also great if you want more 10min chunks and more different topics...

(e.g.
[youtube]XpVkrIdz9-Y[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Semi wrote:Business insider has a good article dissecting the fake documentaries produced by the Discovery Channel and the History Channel claiming the existence of critters such as Megalodon, mermaids, and the Yeti.

Fake photos, CGI footage, fake experts, lies lies lies. Discovery Channel, you should be proud of yourself.

Cancelled my sub. The last one about packs of hundreds of wolves roaming the countryside and eating people was grrrrrrrrrr.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Ape+lust wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
:clap:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

deLurch wrote:OK. 4 beers in. Right now, what I have to say is that all the people slagging off on people speaking up now about the issues we have been discussing for the past few years are idiots. Alright, I understand you be perturbed that they didn't speak up before. But it does no good to cast them down now that they are doing something worth while. That is a foundation of the FTB movement. Accept when someone is doing something about it and be happy about it.

That was primarily me. I agree with 'Accept when someone is doing something about it and be happy about it.' but I can't be happy because I'm a miserable sod. I don't know what a reaming is but it sounds naughty so I'm up for that.

Aneris et al have been excellent as usual. Myers et al says something deeply offensive as usual. Benson attacks as usual. Oolon and a handful of others are busy proving our point as usual. The usual suspects are too scared to respond at Nugents, as usual. I see a pattern so forgive me if I get bored of the so called leaders closing their ears until it suits them and then act as if it all started happening yesterday.

I'll be happy when the clowns are roundly dealt with and fully exposed. But I think too many prominent figures in the atheist community are too weak to do that and without their help all we can do is try and stop the flood. For that I am very unhappy.

Anyway, as I am putting a downer on the whole thing I hope I am ignored and people get don't get despondent and keep fighting. I will certainly continue in my own little way. But I have had it with Nugent. I now consider him dishonest, which I would never had said a few weeks back.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

eat your own shit.
But we also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

another lurker wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Hollywood Babble On

Penn's Sunday School

Car Talk
Cognitive Dissonance

Friendly Atheist Podcast

Dogma Debate

The Human Bible

There is a podcast thread on another part of the forum, too lazy to link on mobile.
Glad to have this list. I'm getting incredibly bored with most of the podcasts I have subscribed to in BeyondPod, especially SGU. The only one I currently have that I feel good about recommending is Freakonomics. The BBC documentary feed is useful, but many are on esoteric topics so it's likely only a small minority would be of interest to any one person.

The Clownshoe podcast is called Full Frontal Zealotry. I haven't listened in a while, but yes, it was very funny.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:I think it is more a suspicion that these are fairweather friends who will fuck off the moment the SJWs mount a counter-attack.

A fair rebuttal.

I think the people speaking up know are taking a calculated risk. They are very aware of the damage, or at least fear the damage that being on the wrong side of SJWers can cause. Hell, Justin V. did the whole chivalrous nose dive out of his position instead of standing up to it with all of the storm it entailed in order to protect his organization.

They very well may not be willing or able to stand against it. But we shouldn't add to the pile of hate as to the reasons why they back down. Give them support when they take a stand.
Yes, fair enough.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

jugheadnaut wrote:Our next witch of the week has just made the stage.

(Remember that I'm new to all this.)

Has this been an above-average two weeks or is it always this crazy, with one thing after another?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

If you like listening to Oxford style debates, there's the Intelligence Squared US feed. There hasn't been a new one in a while so I forgot about it.

Semi

Post by Semi »

another lurker wrote:
Semi wrote:Business insider has a good article dissecting the fake documentaries produced by the Discovery Channel and the History Channel claiming the existence of critters such as Megalodon, mermaids, and the Yeti.

Cancelled my sub. The last one about packs of hundreds of wolves roaming the countryside and eating people was grrrrrrrrrr.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this Discovery Show disaster. If anybody wants a quick peek down the rathole of [alleged] sordid behavior, do a little research on this story.

http://media.nola.com/baton_rouge_crime ... -large.jpg

"Her father, Will Hayden -- founder of Baton Rouge-based Red Jacket Firearms and the star of "Sons of Guns," a now-canceled reality TV show on Discovery Channel -- is being held at the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison, booked on multiple counts of rape."

http://www.nola.com/crime/baton-rouge/i ... _star.html

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jugheadnaut wrote:

Cognitive Dissonance

Friendly Atheist Podcast

Dogma Debate

The Human Bible

Glad to have this list. I'm getting incredibly bored with most of the podcasts I have subscribed to in BeyondPod, especially SGU. The only one I currently have that I feel good about recommending is Freakonomics. The BBC documentary feed is useful, but many are on esoteric topics so it's likely only a small minority would be of interest to any one person.

The Clownshoe podcast is called Full Frontal Zealotry. I haven't listened in a while, but yes, it was very funny.[/quote]

I live off of podcast. When I am working (truck driver) they keep me sane. My picks are the ones that are the most fun and cut a drive down quickly & are easy to just pick up the lastest episode and just enjoy it, I would add Fatman on Batman but he hasn't done a new episode in a couple of months and the last couple (while amazing) was very much talking shop.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

(Remember that I'm new to all this.)

Has this been an above-average two weeks or is it always this crazy, with one thing after another?
Way above average. It seems like there are a couple of times every year when events stack up fast, but this is big even compared to most of those. On the other hand, sometimes there's not anything going on for so long that the Pit goes quiet for hours.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

The Thinking Atheist is pretty good.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Oh and a great Intelligence Squared debate, with Hitchens and Stephen Fry is

Is the Catholic church a force for good.

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

jugheadnaut wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote: (Remember that I'm new to all this.)

Way above average. It seems like there are a couple of times every year when events stack up fast, but this is big even compared to most of those. On the other hand, sometimes there's not anything going on for so long that the Pit goes quiet for hours.
And by "hours," he means "minutes." Pit never goes quiet. It just gets more base and disgusting and then, to allay the boredom, people start attacking Mykeru. :popcorn:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Cathy Young thoroughly debunks the 2% figure for false rape allegations. She mentions official data reported by the FBI has the "unfounded rape" rate at between 8 and 10%. She mentions another study that categorized a set of campus rape accusations and is cited as supporting the rareness of false rape accusations even though it came up with a number of 6.8%, over three times the preferred figure. In addition to the 6.8%, 52% of rape accusations were investigated and closed. There wasn't convincing evidence they were false allegations, but there wasn't evidence to charge the man either. No doubt, whatever occurred in a significant number wouldn't come close to the legal definition of rape and they were essentially false allegations.

Young gives the example of the incident at Ohio University that was widely discussed on the Pit at the time.
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10 ... 1501-0.jpg

Even though it was clear it was consensual and the man was cleared, this wouldn't be recorded as an unfounded rape allegation by either the FBI or the other study because alcohol was involved and there are differing opinions on the level of intoxication required before a sex act can be called rape.

And, of course the figures don't include cases where a woman publicly accuses a man of rape but doesn't report it to the police and then recants, or it becomes clear her allegations are false.

So the 2% figure is unmitigated nonsense. As an added bonus, Rebecca Watson is mentioned among those citing it.

It will be interesting to see the response. When something violating feminist dogma is published in a mainstream or left-leaning source, as it is here with Slate, feminists are particularly rabid about utterly destroying it and the author.
I admit to being interested in how AVFM will treat this:

+ Cathy Young is AVFM Hitler because she criticized them at the Boston Globe a year ago, July
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013 ... story.html

+ I think this is a great article, but it is clearly slanted (after all it is in Double XX) all about getting all the rapists, which is fine by my standards, but includes criticism of MRAs that may annoy AVFM.

I guess there's hope, they recently ran one of her articles with only an editor's reminder that she only mostly a horrible person.

http://i.imgur.com/I6EIBvV.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Reasonable Doubts

And uh, there is a history one that's been mentioned here, forget the title...

Caustic Soda

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Avalyne wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote: (Remember that I'm new to all this.)

And by "hours," he means "minutes." Pit never goes quiet. It just gets more base and disgusting and then, to allay the boredom, people start attacking Mykeru. :popcorn:
I recall at least a couple of times the Pit went quiet, for reasons other than being down or for maintenance, for two or three hours. But it's definitely true that when the supply of baboon entertainment dries up, the Pit starts eating its own.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Just a little off topic (is there a topic) rant:

So it seems that Google is asking app developers to provide a physical address in the app description of the google store if they make a profit off of it.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/18 ... ogle-play/

This of course has people up in arms.http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comment ... hers_with/

I'm sorry but to me this is simply the price of doing business. If you are making money with something then you should have a business licenses and be fucking accountable. In my life I have done a couple of side projects where I made a little extra cash. I always had a business licenses and a po box. I also always formed a corporation to protect my ass.

The thing is that android is open. You don't like it post your apps somewhere else. Most of these people's concerns seem to be that "crazies will come get me at my house". Cause that is going to fucking happen.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:Just a little off topic (is there a topic) rant:

So it seems that Google is asking app developers to provide a physical address in the app description of the google store if they make a profit off of it.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/18 ... ogle-play/

This of course has people up in arms.http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comment ... hers_with/

I'm sorry but to me this is simply the price of doing business. If you are making money with something then you should have a business licenses and be fucking accountable. In my life I have done a couple of side projects where I made a little extra cash. I always had a business licenses and a po box. I also always formed a corporation to protect my ass.

The thing is that android is open. You don't like it post your apps somewhere else. Most of these people's concerns seem to be that "crazies will come get me at my house". Cause that is going to fucking happen.
I'm gonna track you down and kick you in the tires..

Oh wait...

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

austin wrote:Another perfect example of how PZ spreads innuendo:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... in-gaming/
Anita Sarkeesian was given an award at a game developer’s conference last spring, and now we learn that assholes tried to shut it down with a bomb threat. Seriously, dudes? This is how you deal with critics?

'A bomb will be detonated at the Game Developer’s Choice award ceremony tonight unless Anita Sarkeesian’s Ambassador Award is revoked. We estimate the bomb will kill at least a dozen people and injure dozens more. It would be in your best interest to accept our simple request. This is not a joke. You have been warned.'

As this “gamergate” nonsense continues (it seems to be imploding now, as more and more of the idiots’ motives are exposed), it becomes increasingly clear that it was never about journalistic integrity. It was never about making sure that reviews of games were honest and unbiased. It’s entirely about silencing reviews that might disagree with fanboi’s assessment of the importance of boobs and explosions.
Interpretation - your typical gamer sends death threats or supports death threats being made to Sarkeesian, shame on you gamers. What is wrong with you guys. See how it works. So fucking typical.
Its not just PZ, its an official feminist technique. Check it out:

Official Feminist playbook for the demonization of men:
1) Find some evil perpetrated more often by male offenders than female offenders (or at least an evil that will pass for that)
2) Write or speak about how "men" rape, "men" beat women, and "men" are responsible for global warming and the holocaust etc.
3) Wait for objections. Attack anyone who complains about your overly broad brush by accusing them of derailing an important conversation with a trivial clarification, or making a womans' issue about themself, the privileged man. Additionally accusations
can be made that critics are complicit with the offenders and inventing grievances in order to give them cover.
4) Repeat as necessary to foster the desired levels of guilt and resentment
I know Peez didn't invent this shit, because I used to see it 10 years ago when I was in college. My girlfriend at the time lived in the unofficial lesbian dorm for a year, and the place was full of radfems. I remember they used to put up fliers in the mens' bathroom imploring the people using that toilet to "end rape". They also put a helpful clarification on the door in front of the word "Mens Bathroom" which read "The ONLY!". I guess they were concerned that Schrodinger's bathroom user would sneak into the ladies room and rape them by taking a dump.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:And uh, there is a history one that's been mentioned here, forget the title...
I hope it isn't Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

That guy is a is pretty bad. He gets stuff wrong (a lot) and when he is called out for it he counters with "I'm not a historian just a fan". I would be okay with that if he wasn't making a profit off of it.

My (I'll admit unconventional take) on job titles such as scientist, historian, whore, is as follow. There is two ways to in which you are called that. You either go to school for it or you do it as a job. I happen to think I am pretty liberal in that idea. Anyway Carlin makes money off that show. He acts as a historian and as such he can (and should) be criticized as one.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Old_ones wrote:
I know Peez didn't invent this shit, because I used to see it 10 years ago when I was in college. My girlfriend at the time lived in the unofficial lesbian dorm for a year, and the place was full of radfems. I remember they used to put up fliers in the mens' bathroom imploring the people using that toilet to "end rape". They also put a helpful clarification on the door in front of the word "Mens Bathroom" which read "The ONLY!". I guess they were concerned that Schrodinger's bathroom user would sneak into the ladies room and rape them by taking a dump.
...Sounds like you had a helluva good time in college. Your ex-girlfriend seems to have had friends who were lots of fun.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

I'm getting the impression PZ is losing it a little bit. Love him or hate him, the guy is an idealist and he takes this sort of thing very personally. I think the Thunderf00t schism really genuinely hurt him more than he let on, and obviously losing Dawkins' friendship is a hundred times worse.

He also changed his twitter bio to some ranty splurt about being "proudly feminist" and "raging"; that has been a pattern with SJWs teetering on the deep end. I think the dude might need to step away from the internet.

windy

Post by windy »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well fuck you and your Shermer apathy privilege.

:)
OK, I'll break out of my Shermer apathy stupor for a little while. Alison Smith's explanation seems plausible. She was being extra friendly trying to entice Shermer unknowingly into an uncomfortable situation. She claims it was to educate him, but payback was the more likely motive. But I think this explanation is still more consistent with sex that she regrets, and blames Shermer for, rather than really believing she was raped.
The explanation still sounds pretty strange to me. Would she have let the other panelists in on the plan? Would you want a creep/cad/rapist (pick one) on your sex panel, even for the purpose of getting him to "re-examine his behavior"? She must have been pretty confident that the Perry Mason act would work.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:

Oh wait...

For your own sake, Don't.

[youtube]enRKvjKr7l0[/youtube]

Also for your own sake don't dive next to those tires.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:

Oh wait...

For your own sake, Don't.

[youtube]enRKvjKr7l0[/youtube]

Also for your own sake don't dive next to those tires.

Haha sweet.

And I was referring to your tireless avatar;p

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

windy wrote:
The explanation still sounds pretty strange to me. Would she have let the other panelists in on the plan? Would you want a creep/cad/rapist (pick one) on your sex panel, even for the purpose of getting him to "re-examine his behavior"? She must have been pretty confident that the Perry Mason act would work.

Perry who? Get with the times man!

http://i.imgur.com/7ayYg7P.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

If any of you bastards want to pop in and add your voice to my "discussion" at JREF - feel free.

My line is that Alison Smith, by using FtB to communicate twice, has some responsibility for the network then leveraging the fuck off her claims in their war on the CFI's white skeptic movement.

They don't see it that way.

There is a bonus. MattasMaximus is involved ....

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... 4&posted=1#

But hey, I understand if that sock draw sorting chore suddenly acquired an escalated priority. But it will be entered into your book of life.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote: Haha sweet.

And I was referring to your tireless avatar;p

Ah duh, I thought you were talking about my job as a truck driver.

That piece of shit rabbit. I loved that car.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cis. Not CFI.