Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Pitchguest

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Pitchguest »

sinister wrote:The most recent Internet Aristocrat video is awesome. I've had to watch it a few times because it is so information dense, but there is so much going on I don't see how he could have compressed it anymore.
The amount of information and research put into it makes me feel genuinely embarassed for the actual supposed professional journalistic outlets that have written about this. Laissez-faire yellow journalism, not even a smidgeon of the labour Internet Aristocrat has clearly enacted. It's a patheticism you have to see to believe and it is tenfold.

If these gaming sites, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, Escapist, Neogaf, and even tech sites like Ars Technica, truly wanted the truth to will out they would've done the same. But they didn't. It's no surprise that gaming journalism is corrupt - it has been for a long time (Geoff Keighley being a case in point) - but to see it so blatantly out in the open, without blinders, without any preconception of what they're doing, is still somewhat startling to behold. The favouritism, the double standards, the nepotism on display. It's sickening. And, of course, anyone who should object to it are "misogynists", "sexists", "dudebros", and so on and so forth, with the exception of women who are either "gender traitors" or "chillgirls."

sinister

Post by sinister »

austin wrote:An example of PZ's stellar logic from his post "Homosexuality and Evolution"

"Nothing personal. Evolution doesn’t play favorites. It can’t: it’s just the outcome of chance and physical laws interacting in particular environments."

and then a miracle occurs....

"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity. Successful populations will express these behaviors to a greater degree."

Notice the 60s love one another shit. Besides the fact that these two are contradictions, evolution just favors whatever it favors, nice or nasty - when has PZ and his flock ever demonstrated "love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity."

Its more like "unite by a set of common enemies, build echo chambers, cooperate only with those who agree with us, blame everyone else for our adversity"

And success, hahahaha!!!!!
Yes, but they are building a utopian world where everyone if free to do what the SJW wants them to. And able to love cock in both its boy and girl forms. What have you done for the cock?

austin

Post by austin »

sinister wrote:
austin wrote:An example of PZ's stellar logic from his post "Homosexuality and Evolution"

"Nothing personal. Evolution doesn’t play favorites. It can’t: it’s just the outcome of chance and physical laws interacting in particular environments."

"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity. Successful populations will express these behaviors to a greater degree."

Notice the 60s love one another shit. Besides the fact that these two are contradictions, evolution just favors whatever it favors, nice or nasty - when has PZ and his flock ever demonstrated "love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity."

Its more like "unite by a set of common enemies, build echo chambers, cooperate only with those who agree with us, blame everyone else for our adversity"

Yes, but they are building a utopian world where everyone if free to do what the SJW wants them to. And able to love cock in both its boy and girl forms. What have you done for the cock?
Is that intended to be a reference from Magnolia - respect the cock -tame the cunt?

sinister

Post by sinister »

Pitchguest wrote:
sinister wrote:The most recent Internet Aristocrat video is awesome. I've had to watch it a few times because it is so information dense, but there is so much going on I don't see how he could have compressed it anymore.
The amount of information and research put into it makes me feel genuinely embarassed for the actual supposed professional journalistic outlets that have written about this. Laissez-faire yellow journalism, not even a smidgeon of the labour Internet Aristocrat has clearly enacted. It's a patheticism you have to see to believe and it is tenfold.

If these gaming sites, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, Escapist, Neogaf, and even tech sites like Ars Technica, truly wanted the truth to will out they would've done the same. But they didn't. It's no surprise that gaming journalism is corrupt - it has been for a long time (Geoff Keighley being a case in point) - but to see it so blatantly out in the open, without blinders, without any preconception of what they're doing, is still somewhat startling to behold. The favouritism, the double standards, the nepotism on display. It's sickening. And, of course, anyone who should object to it are "misogynists", "sexists", "dudebros", and so on and so forth, with the exception of women who are either "gender traitors" or "chillgirls."
I think that this happening is bigger than I first believed. I don't.think most people were aware about just how toxic this SJW bullshit is. I don't think the attack on gamers has gone unnoticed as it has many times before. Gamers may be perceived as a lot of things, but I don't think racist misogynist oppressors were among those believed. I think many more people are a little shocked by the accusations than nod their heads in agreement.

sinister

Post by sinister »

austin wrote:
sinister wrote:

Is that intended to be a reference from Magnolia - respect the cock -tame the cunt?

No but that works too!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

By the way, have you guys been paying attention to the thread PZ started about Anita Sarkeesian? The one that supposes he "hasn't missed much", that one? I noticed something interesting in the comments. Let's see if you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Beatrice, an amateur cynic looking for a happy thought
26 August 2014 at 8:52 am
Monitor note

Roy G,
I hope you burn, and I wish nothing but pain upon you.
This is not acceptable here.
Tony! The Queer Shoop
26 August 2014 at 9:48 am
Roy G:
Do. Not. Do. This.
You can tell someone to ‘fuck off’ all you want, but wishing harm on someone is not acceptable.
Daz: Experiencing A Slight Gravitas Shortfall
26 August 2014 at 9:25 pm
Roy G #153
Excuse me? When I (stupidly) made that statement, I had no idea if Ibis was a woman or not; I still don’t, so would you care to elaborate?
Umm. You said “I hope you burn, and I wish nothing but pain upon you.” Does the gender of the person addressed really matter? You told a human being that seeing them tortured would make you glad. The adjective you’re looking for isn’t “stupidly.” It’s “sadistically.”
ceesays
27 August 2014 at 1:57 am

RoyG:
except for the part where you not only wished it (you wrote that motherfucker down so dozens of people saw you do what you’re trying to claim you didn’t do and how do you expect THAT tactic to work, exactly?)
You need to re-read what I said: I said that it was a comment made in anger, not something I wished for. If the “just a technicality” here is what I actually said, then that is what it is.
I read what you wrote. If you didn’t fucking mean every single character, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU WRITE IT DOWN? let that rattle through the negative space in your braincase. If you didn’t MEAN it, why did you SAY it? and commit it to record, where dozens if not hundreds of people will see your wish for someone to suffer, because you took a pretty careful statement in a personal and absolutist fashion?
No, really. Why did you say something you didn’t mean? because you’re used to being able to excrete whatever the fuck you wantt? And not get called on it? Well welcome to the horde, manbaby. grow up, don’t say anything you don’t mean, understand that you’re expected to SAY what you MEAN here because you will be held to account for it.
If you don’t really mean to reveal your childishly sadistic fantasies then don’t fucking share them. If you’re the sort of asshole who flies straight to verbal abuse and expressing your desire to see another person suffer terribly, well I don’t care how old you are. you could be a particularly bright seven year old. That was unacceptable. Quit trying to say you didn’t mean it, because you said it. If it really was just an honest mistake and you didn’t actually mean to spew your torture fantasies then grow up right the fuck now, and look up Dream Hampton’s anatomy of an apology, learn it, and apply it.
(And reflect on the fucking irony, for a moment, of you detailing your lurid desire for another person’s suffering in a thread about the trope of torture/violence visited on un-personed female bodies in video games. Really reflect on how fucking tasteless that was, because it was. you fucked up, lad. you fucked up.)
or just take this hint and go. bye.
Do you see it?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Meyers apparently has decided to just come right out and admit that he has no fucking idea what science means these days, so he's throwing in with Becky Watson:

http://i.imgur.com/wJbgfmR.png

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Meyers apparently has decided to just come right out and admit that he has no fucking idea what science means these days, so he's throwing in with Becky Watson:

Throw in a couple dozen extra "e's" and it could be a perfect Comradde Physiopreppiee post.

Why's he drinking vitamin water anyway? I thought he was all like uber-green and environmentally conscious and shitte.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Meyers apparently has decided to just come right out and admit that he has no fucking idea what science means these days, so he's throwing in with Becky Watson:

Reading the comments, I may have been the victim of a Poe attack. Meyers was apparently joking. :bjarte:

sinister

Post by sinister »

Boy howdy people sure are even handed over at FTB! Do they ever draw in new users?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Pitchguest wrote:By the way, have you guys been paying attention to the thread PZ started about Anita Sarkeesian? The one that supposes he "hasn't missed much", that one? I noticed something interesting in the comments. Let's see if you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Monitor note

Roy G,
Tony! The Queer Shoop
Roy G:
Do. Not. Do. This.
You can tell someone to ‘fuck off’ all you want, but wishing harm on someone is not acceptable.
Roy G #153
Excuse me? When I (stupidly) made that statement, I had no idea if Ibis was a woman or not; I still don’t, so would you care to elaborate?
Umm. You said “I hope you burn, and I wish nothing but pain upon you.” Does the gender of the person addressed really matter? You told a human being that seeing them tortured would make you glad. The adjective you’re looking for isn’t “stupidly.” It’s “sadistically.”
ceesays

RoyG:
I read what you wrote. If you didn’t fucking mean every single character, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU WRITE IT DOWN? let that rattle through the negative space in your braincase. If you didn’t MEAN it, why did you SAY it? and commit it to record, where dozens if not hundreds of people will see your wish for someone to suffer, because you took a pretty careful statement in a personal and absolutist fashion?
No, really. Why did you say something you didn’t mean? because you’re used to being able to excrete whatever the fuck you wantt? And not get called on it? Well welcome to the horde, manbaby. grow up, don’t say anything you don’t mean, understand that you’re expected to SAY what you MEAN here because you will be held to account for it.
If you don’t really mean to reveal your childishly sadistic fantasies then don’t fucking share them. If you’re the sort of asshole who flies straight to verbal abuse and expressing your desire to see another person suffer terribly, well I don’t care how old you are. you could be a particularly bright seven year old. That was unacceptable. Quit trying to say you didn’t mean it, because you said it. If it really was just an honest mistake and you didn’t actually mean to spew your torture fantasies then grow up right the fuck now, and look up Dream Hampton’s anatomy of an apology, learn it, and apply it.
(And reflect on the fucking irony, for a moment, of you detailing your lurid desire for another person’s suffering in a thread about the trope of torture/violence visited on un-personed female bodies in video games. Really reflect on how fucking tasteless that was, because it was. you fucked up, lad. you fucked up.)
Do you see it?
The posters should have said he or she wanted to stab someone with a knife. Then it would have been okay.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:mikelf wrote:
mikelf wrote:You may be thinking of the Senate rules, where 60 vote requirement to invoke cloture and end debate. However, you will also see that the Dems never reached that level either in 2009-2011.
Just curious, mikelf -- where did you find this assertion?
Here you go. I had forgotten Specter had flipped.
Because it's patently false. The spread of this lie -- with the insinuation that compromising on an Heritage Foundation plan was the best obama could do in the face of strong GOP opposition -- shows just how Orwellian the Left has become.
Two points:

1. The Right's fidelity to fact and truth is hardly exemplary.
2. Your assertion that single payer could have passed with the composition of the 111th Congress rests on the assumption that Democrats would have voted for it en toto. This ignores that the House vote for the ACA was by a narrow 219-212 majority, which included 34 Dems voting against. How many Blue Dogs do you suppose would have flipped in the House if single payer was the proposal? Perhaps you can enact the labor to find out.

sinister

Post by sinister »

The whole mod or create your own game topic really throws these justice seekers for a loop. It's hard to wiggle around the fact that they are unwilling to create their own products instead they demand they be created for them. I think that argument falls flat to the bystanders. At least I hope it does.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Pitchguest wrote:By the way, have you guys been paying attention to the thread PZ started about Anita Sarkeesian? The one that supposes he "hasn't missed much", that one? I noticed something interesting in the comments. Let's see if you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Monitor note

Roy G,
Tony! The Queer Shoop
Roy G:
Do. Not. Do. This.
Roy G #153
ceesays

RoyG:
Do you see it?
James Caruthers wrote:The posters should have said he or she wanted to stab someone with a knife. Then it would have been okay.
Or cut them with a broken beer bottle. Or shove rotten porcupines up their arses. Either or. (I knew you wouldn't disappoint.)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

But the thing I'm most intrigued by is this sentence right here,
I read what you wrote. If you didn’t fucking mean every single character, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU WRITE IT DOWN?
Yes. Why indeed.

austin

Post by austin »

mikelf wrote:
1. The Right's fidelity to fact and truth is hardly exemplary.
2. Your assertion that single payer could have passed with the composition of the 111th Congress rests on the assumption that Democrats would have voted for it en toto. This ignores that the House vote for the ACA was by a narrow 219-212 majority, which included 34 Dems voting against. How many Blue Dogs do you suppose would have flipped in the House if single payer was the proposal? Perhaps you can enact the labor to find out.
Correct, single payer never had a chance in hell of ever passing. Not with Joe "John McCain's best buddy" Lieberman's vote needed, and Max "sell out to the insurance industry" Baucus heading up the whole thing. Recall the 60 majority didn't occur till much later because it took forever for Al Franken to be declared the winner in Minnesota which caused a lot of delays too. Can't blame that on Obama.

James Caruthers

Wait, are there still people around who think Obama wanted single payer?

Of course he didn't. Like most of his Democrat colleagues in politics, he wants what big business tells him to want.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

sinister wrote:The whole mod or create your own game topic really throws these justice seekers for a loop. It's hard to wiggle around the fact that they are unwilling to create their own products instead they demand they be created for them. I think that argument falls flat to the bystanders. At least I hope it does.
I never begrudged Sarkeesian her $160K, and let's face it, practically speaking she has won all the important battles to date.

But I did say way back when that the $160K would be her undoing versus the $6K she had wanted. I think undoing is too strong, but really

+ Can someone point to actual differences in her videos that justify the existence of each?
+ Is there any evidence that anyone is using her series in academia?

In the meantime, if she had released her one video, and then taken what she had learned and used the remaining $150K to help kickstart gamers or fund game jams, wouldn't that have been far more winning for everyone?

It would be nice to see an actual journalist look into such issues as opposed to just copy pasting another go around of Anita Sarkeesian feminist hero, feminist victim.

Really?

Post by Really? »

JacquesCuze wrote:
sinister wrote:The whole mod or create your own game topic really throws these justice seekers for a loop. It's hard to wiggle around the fact that they are unwilling to create their own products instead they demand they be created for them. I think that argument falls flat to the bystanders. At least I hope it does.
I never begrudged Sarkeesian her $160K, and let's face it, practically speaking she has won all the important battles to date.

But I did say way back when that the $160K would be her undoing versus the $6K she had wanted. I think undoing is too strong, but really

+ Can someone point to actual differences in her videos that justify the existence of each?
I am absolutely sure that there are TONS of freshman composition and feminist studies professors using her work in classes, both undergrad and graduate. Why? It's a helluva lot easier to be indoctrinated by--I mean, to absorb than reading Bell Hooks or other "great" feminist thinkers. Further, it would be way easier to get freshmen to watch a brief video about video games than to try and get through some of Sylvia Plath's poetry. (Which I like, but is WAY fucking harder to understand. You have to, you know, put effort into it.)

Oh, and Sarky is most certainly being used in classes because all of the feminist teachers view her as The One Who Made It. Instead of making shitty money to adjunct, Sarky's living the dream.

austin

Post by austin »

James Caruthers wrote:Wait, are there still people around who think Obama wanted single payer?

Of course he didn't. Like most of his Democrat colleagues in politics, he wants what big business tells him to want.
I don't think he ever did either, or was murky at best at what he wanted. But the fact that it didn't happen wasn't his doing, that's all I'm saying. Even if he had pushed for it, don't think it would have mattered anyway, not with the insurance interests dollars at play.

James Caruthers

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:
I don't notice such crass things.
:snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :snooty:
:shock:
"Hunt, Hunt, Hunt"

How about if I simply lose the zoom and follow orders? Less creepy?

http://i.imgur.com/cyxuvRF.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/bowf4.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Really? wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:

I am absolutely sure that there are TONS of freshman composition and feminist studies professors using her work in classes, both undergrad and graduate. Why? It's a helluva lot easier to be indoctrinated by--I mean, to absorb than reading Bell Hooks or other "great" feminist thinkers. Further, it would be way easier to get freshmen to watch a brief video about video games than to try and get through some of Sylvia Plath's poetry. (Which I like, but is WAY fucking harder to understand. You have to, you know, put effort into it.)

Oh, and Sarky is most certainly being used in classes because all of the feminist teachers view her as The One Who Made It. Instead of making shitty money to adjunct, Sarky's living the dream.
You're probably right.

I just can't imagine that her series of six videos at 20 minutes each is worth from 3 - 6 class meetings. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's what feminists professors did.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: Judgy Bitch bares her tits -

She did really ... and NSFW. ok?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Really? wrote:I am absolutely sure that there are TONS of freshman composition and feminist studies professors using her work in classes, both undergrad and graduate.
I, too, am sure.

It seems to me that there have been parallel tracts within feminism for decades (if not longer). Snarky is part of one tract - the shrill and shallow tract, for lack of a better label, which happens to be in vogue right now. Let her have her fucking fifteen minutes. Who gives a shit. One just has to hope that a different tract wins when we get near the end.

And none of this makes current feminism in any way special. There were parallel tracts within the US civil-right movement, for example. Heck, there's parallel tracts within atheism right now.

My suggestion - albeit right now only supported by scotch - is to focus on making your own tract strong. There are too many alternatives to fight by bringing the other tracts down. And you don't want to spend any time with them, anyway. Fucking asshole, the lot of them.

austin

Post by austin »

If anyone has time to kill, a funny B-horror flick is "There's nothing out there! (1991)" It's a classic kids go to a secluded cabin horror film. The funny part is a character who knows all the signs of impending doom from his extensive knowledge of horror films and tries to warn everybody in a really irritating ways that are ignored of course to the demise of most of the characters. Not at the same level as the Evil Dead series but fun anyway. Link below.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Cainaji is apparently in the middle of ananother skin-shedding.

She begins transitioning by adding some Lakota word to her nym:
http://i.imgur.com/bHImDsD.png

Then, later in the same thread, this person appears:
http://i.imgur.com/lPMIg1i.png

I'm slightly upset that Cainajeska is appropriating the British use of the word "bloody", but I am more delighted by the number four google result for "Iyeska":
http://i.imgur.com/qAYvLFf.png

Way to spread the atheist/skeptical word, Cainajeska!!!!!

:clap: :doh: :clap: :doh: :clap: :doh:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-845065

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I am so going to twat that on twatter:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

austin wrote:If anyone has time to kill, a funny B-horror flick is "There's nothing out there! (1991)" It's a classic kids go to a secluded cabin horror film. The funny part is a character who knows all the signs of impending doom from his extensive knowledge of horror films and tries to warn everybody in a really irritating ways that are ignored of course to the demise of most of the characters. Not at the same level as the Evil Dead series but fun anyway. Link below.

The ultimate shack in the woods horror movie has to be Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Especially the wood-chipper...

austin

Post by austin »

Lsuoma wrote:
austin wrote:If anyone has time to kill, a funny B-horror flick is "There's nothing out there! (1991)" It's a classic kids go to a secluded cabin horror film. The funny part is a character who knows all the signs of impending doom from his extensive knowledge of horror films and tries to warn everybody in a really irritating ways that are ignored of course to the demise of most of the characters. Not at the same level as the Evil Dead series but fun anyway. Link below.

The ultimate shack in the woods horror movie has to be Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Especially the wood-chipper...
Then there is always the must see in laughable Cinema badness - Troll 2 - clips below

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

austin wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Stupid and selfish question: now that I've been banned from Benson's blog, as well, can I start a new thread that is specifically for sending them messages?
Consider that an honor. She has the audacity to put up a post agreeing that George Orwell of all people wrote "talented mediocrity," dissing him in effect saying she is a better writer. Unbelievable. I guess if your whole career is an exercise in doublespeak, you might not like Orwell, too personal, too close to home.
She took an article from the BBC about Orwell being mediocre? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28971276
How original.

James Caruthers

I'm just going to leave this here.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Reading the comments, I may have been the victim of a Poe attack. Meyers was apparently joking. :bjarte:
Yes, he was being ironic. It is the sort of thing I say when reading the rubbish on product packaging.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

JackSkeptic wrote:

Yes, he was being ironic. It is the sort of thing I say when reading the rubbish on product packaging.
Yes, it's an article by Will Self.
The funny part is that the article contains a long complaint about one of Orwells essays "Politics and the English Language" that Svan had written about in opposite terms just a few days ago.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Ripped off from here.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

One of my favorites is 'May contain traces of nut' on bags of peanuts.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Michael J wrote:

Ripped off from here.
I have to admit I don't understand this.

My coffee and ice tea usually contain three drops of sucralose which wiki tells me is
Sucralose is an artificial sweetener. The majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body, so it is noncaloric.[4] In the European Union, it is also known under the E number (additive code) E955. Sucralose is about 320 to 1,000 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),

Sucralose was discovered in 1976 by scientists from Tate & Lyle, working with researchers Leslie Hough and Shashikant Phadnis at Queen Elizabeth College (now part of King's College London).[4] While researching ways to use sucrose and its synthetic derivatives as an insecticide, Phadnis was told to test a chlorinated sugar compound. Phadnis thought Hough asked him to "taste" it, so he did.[7] He found the compound to be exceptionally sweet.

It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose, which substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups with chlorine. This chlorination is achieved by selective protection of the primary alcohol groups followed by acetylation and then deprotection of the primary alcohol groups. Following an induced acetyl migration on one of the hydroxyl groups, the partially acetylated sugar is then chlorinated with a chlorinating agent such as phosphorus oxychloride, followed by removal of the acetyl groups to give sucralose.[12]
Is this a natural compound because ... it exists solely of chemicals found on the periodic table?

Can I harvest sucralose? Can I find it in plants, trees, fruit, or animals?

http://i.imgur.com/swybAbb.jpg

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Tribble wrote:
Opyt wrote:
Clarence wrote:Pessimistic, and rightly so comments
If they get the "larger culture involved" (which they've already got The Guardian doing shit posts about gamers), then "we'll lose". I suspect we "lost" the moment the SJL entered into the community. They have this unique ability, that Mykeru called, and I've continued to mention, wherein, it's all about who has a vagina, and why isn't the cult of vagina being worshipped.

At any rate, when they flood the market with SJL "games" I'll just continue ignoring them. I also don't think all of the advertisers will approve of going full SJL. NewEgg & TigerDirect for example get a substantial amount of money from "PC gamers", a subset of "geek", and they are better off not supporting places like Kotaku when it says that "Gamers are dead."

Well, I'm not going to panic. We've seen this over-and-over-and-over again:

The Film Industry
The Music Industry
The Print Industry

The Game Industry is just the current bête noire in the cross hairs. In time, people will get so fucking sick-and-tired of it they'll ignore it and it will all fade away.
Well the film industry is probably the slowest to figure out that they missed a untapped market but it's been steadily making more and more movies for girls and women, usually with the empowered princess trope (which since Luke Skywalker is an empowered prince, we can't complain really).

The games community would be foolish not to realise that there are many girl gamers who would like to play games other than "Honour of Duty" and other blood-drenched triple A titles. I think it naive to assume boys and girls like to play with the same things and so it might be time to start developing triple A games that appeal to women and girls. I have no desire to see say "Mamma Mia" but it exists for a market than I am not in and was massively popular, so if games companies were smart, they'd start focussing on some top end titles for that market. It seems that perhaps there may be a lack of imagination or financial will to take such risks but whichever company takes it seriously and pulls it off will make billions.

A great Triple A title directed towards 14 to 25 year old girls and women, with all the polish and depth of some of the games of the last few years would do more to change the stereotype gamer narrative than a billion twitter timelines, would be ground-breaking and above all would make money.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Richard Dworkins wrote: The games community would be foolish not to realise that there are many girl gamers who would like to play games other than "Honour of Duty" and other blood-drenched triple A titles. I think it naive to assume boys and girls like to play with the same things and so it might be time to start developing triple A games that appeal to women and girls. I have no desire to see say "Mamma Mia" but it exists for a market than I am not in and was massively popular, so if games companies were smart, they'd start focussing on some top end titles for that market. It seems that perhaps there may be a lack of imagination or financial will to take such risks but whichever company takes it seriously and pulls it off will make billions.

A great Triple A title directed towards 14 to 25 year old girls and women, with all the polish and depth of some of the games of the last few years would do more to change the stereotype gamer narrative than a billion twitter timelines, would be ground-breaking and above all would make money.
I used to love to play Nancy Drew games on the PC with my daughters. I mean, I got a kick out of them too. Wasn't online gaming, and there were few first person shooter scenes, but I enjoyed the story lines and the puzzles and Nancy, strong and smart and ready to act and without permission seemed a great model.

Uh, so I guess Nancy Drew would never make a 12 part series on Tropes vs. Women in gaming. Oh, she might make one, but then I am certain she would sit down and make a video game herself.

Who knows what video games my daughters play now though.

http://i.imgur.com/YYR8zsg.jpg

didymos

Post by didymos »

Poor oppressed Elyse:

didymos

Post by didymos »

This seems circular.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Also, trite as fuck.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

JacquesCuze wrote:I have to admit I don't understand this.

My coffee and ice tea usually contain three drops of sucralose which wiki tells me is
Sucralose is an artificial sweetener. The majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body, so it is noncaloric.[4] In the European Union, it is also known under the E number (additive code) E955. Sucralose is about 320 to 1,000 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),

Sucralose was discovered in 1976 by scientists from Tate & Lyle, working with researchers Leslie Hough and Shashikant Phadnis at Queen Elizabeth College (now part of King's College London).[4] While researching ways to use sucrose and its synthetic derivatives as an insecticide, Phadnis was told to test a chlorinated sugar compound. Phadnis thought Hough asked him to "taste" it, so he did.[7] He found the compound to be exceptionally sweet.

It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose, which substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups with chlorine. This chlorination is achieved by selective protection of the primary alcohol groups followed by acetylation and then deprotection of the primary alcohol groups. Following an induced acetyl migration on one of the hydroxyl groups, the partially acetylated sugar is then chlorinated with a chlorinating agent such as phosphorus oxychloride, followed by removal of the acetyl groups to give sucralose.[12]
Is this a natural compound because ... it exists solely of chemicals found on the periodic table?

Can I harvest sucralose? Can I find it in plants, trees, fruit, or animals?

http://i.imgur.com/swybAbb.jpg
Ok time to go ye olde pit. What is with american food and consumable products? Why does everything have to be sweetened? Up to and including water? Australian outlets of costco sell a great deal of american food and its 99% shit. Everything is loaded with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I even have to wash my mouth out with sweetened mouthwash. Does mouthwash really need sorbitol?

I eat like a peasant. Not only does it cut out a great deal of sugar, excess carbs and provide more vitamins and fibre, it saves me money.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

DownThunder wrote: Ok time to go ye olde pit. What is with american food and consumable products? Why does everything have to be sweetened? Up to and including water? Australian outlets of costco sell a great deal of american food and its 99% shit. Everything is loaded with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I even have to wash my mouth out with sweetened mouthwash. Does mouthwash really need sorbitol?

I eat like a peasant. Not only does it cut out a great deal of sugar, excess carbs and provide more vitamins and fibre, it saves me money.
Yeah, we love our HFCS.

Anyway, just googled costco australia zero calorie water and I suggest you look for Crystal Geyser Goanna Piss. In US Costcos it's marketed as Crystak Geyser Sparkling Flavored Water, but it's Goanna Piss down under.

http://i.imgur.com/dqgSJmH.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DownThunder wrote:Ok time to go ye olde pit. What is with american food and consumable products? Why does everything have to be sweetened? Up to and including water? Australian outlets of costco sell a great deal of american food and its 99% shit. Everything is loaded with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I even have to wash my mouth out with sweetened mouthwash. Does mouthwash really need sorbitol?

What? Do you expect them to ship fresh fruits and vegetables from the US to Australia? OK. Maybe apples, oranges, potatoes & corn. But I would expect you wouldn't get shipments that can be grown in Australia or nearby. Of course they are shipping the stuff that has a shelf life of 2 years.

Of course if you purchase prepackaged mixed foods it will tend to be processed crap. In the US you have two choices on how to shop. You can buy the junk in the middle of the store, or you can walk around the outer edge and get fresh ingredients.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Ooh, sounds interesting, thanks. And perfect timing, I'm planning to do something I did last year, and watch a horror movie every day of October. Adding this one to my list. (If anyone's interested in last year's list, just follow the link in my sig below).

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

TedDahlberg wrote:

Ooh, sounds interesting, thanks. And perfect timing, I'm planning to do something I did last year, and watch a horror movie every day of October. Adding this one to my list. (If anyone's interested in last year's list, just follow the link in my sig below).
Had a flick through it. Anita Sarkessian wont approve of you watching that. lol

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

If at first you don't succeed...
I'm honestly of the opinion we should try another indiegogo. I mean, it couldn't hurt to try.
Keep on flogging, Grimalkin. I'm sure this time it will make a difference.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... -horse.gif

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

I'v got an idea for a new choose your own adventure game called "Who Didn't Fuck Zoe Quinn?"

[youtube]KjpvCVdFVdE[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Opyt wrote: If they get the "larger culture involved" (which they've already got The Guardian doing shit posts about gamers), then "we'll lose". I suspect we "lost" the moment the SJL entered into the community. They have this unique ability, that Mykeru called, and I've continued to mention, wherein, it's all about who has a vagina, and why isn't the cult of vagina being worshipped.

At any rate, when they flood the market with SJL "games" I'll just continue ignoring them. I also don't think all of the advertisers will approve of going full SJL. NewEgg & TigerDirect for example get a substantial amount of money from "PC gamers", a subset of "geek", and they are better off not supporting places like Kotaku when it says that "Gamers are dead."

Well, I'm not going to panic. We've seen this over-and-over-and-over again:

The Film Industry
The Music Industry
The Print Industry

The Game Industry is just the current bête noire in the cross hairs. In time, people will get so fucking sick-and-tired of it they'll ignore it and it will all fade away.
Well the film industry is probably the slowest to figure out that they missed a untapped market but it's been steadily making more and more movies for girls and women, usually with the empowered princess trope (which since Luke Skywalker is an empowered prince, we can't complain really).

The games community would be foolish not to realise that there are many girl gamers who would like to play games other than "Honour of Duty" and other blood-drenched triple A titles. I think it naive to assume boys and girls like to play with the same things and so it might be time to start developing triple A games that appeal to women and girls. I have no desire to see say "Mamma Mia" but it exists for a market than I am not in and was massively popular, so if games companies were smart, they'd start focussing on some top end titles for that market. It seems that perhaps there may be a lack of imagination or financial will to take such risks but whichever company takes it seriously and pulls it off will make billions.

Makes sense for an industry to recognize & exploit, er I mean make & market products appealing to demographic groups they're not already tapping - anyone who might pay for their wares.

That's different than eliminating popular products, restricting what your current paying audience can get from you, and (especially bizarre) going along w/ attempts to shame that current paying audience about their preferences.

Has the film industry been bitten by SJW bug? I thought they were just creating stuff that'd appeal to girls, to draw them into theaters, which seems like good business sense. (Some of those movies have been huge money-makers, AFAIK.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Jonathan wrote:If at first you don't succeed...
I'm honestly of the opinion we should try another indiegogo. I mean, it couldn't hurt to try.

[.img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... -horse.gif[/img]
Ohfergawdssake.

Can't remember if I'd voiced out loud already the observation that Alex, Grimalkin, & Kassiane presumably each match the description of the type of scholarship recipient the fundraiser was supposed to help. So maybe they should do 2 more fundraisers, one for each of them.

BTW, what cut does Indiegogo take if a fundraiser only brings in $20?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Skep tickle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:If at first you don't succeed...

[.img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... -horse.gif[/img]
Ohfergawdssake.

Can't remember if I'd voiced out loud already the observation that Alex, Grimalkin, & Kassiane presumably each match the description of the type of scholarship recipient the fundraiser was supposed to help. So maybe they should do 2 more fundraisers, one for each of them.

BTW, what cut does Indiegogo take if a fundraiser only brings in $20?
Depends what scheme they were on apparently.

https://go.indiegogo.com/pricing-fees

Either 9% or 0% because the contributors get refunded. I'm guessing the former.

Guesthouse

Post by Guesthouse »

James Caruthers wrote:http://33.media.tumblr.com/0bf06b21bdb9 ... o1_500.jpg
http://33.media.tumblr.com/12b0293db1e3 ... 2_1280.png

Someone needs to stop all this vile misogynistic RAPE.
The second image is what I'm thinking what is happening. I think people should push that narrative a lot more.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Pagancat wrote:I'v got an idea for a new choose your own adventure game called "Who Didn't Fuck Zoe Quinn?"

Issues with the vid? It tells me it's private.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Badger3k wrote:
Pagancat wrote:I'v got an idea for a new choose your own adventure game called "Who Didn't Fuck Zoe Quinn?"

It wasn't. Seems to be now!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Stupid and selfish question: now that I've been banned from Benson's blog, as well, can I start a new thread that is specifically for sending them messages?
Gwan then, feed some egos you harassing stalker! I guess it's true then, Slymers are marginalised losers pissed 'cos we can't get in on the serious 'discourse' at the big table. If you're lucky you can tempt Peeze to accuse you of trying to sneak into his swill trough using 39 identities.

didymos

Post by didymos »

This giant Something Awful thread on the whole gaming clusterfuck is pretty funny:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3658972

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

It wasn't. Seems to be now!
Someone gonna get sued maybe? Anyway before it got took down I grabbed some of the links from the low bar

http://pastebin.com/qWX5qTvB

http://pastebin.com/jrLJyp0W

http://i.imgur.com/AuIMDU2.jpg

What it looks like is part of their video is wrong so they pulled it. The stuff about IGF being rigged was wrong.