Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Spike13

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Spike13 »

Spike13 wrote:
Opyt wrote:Matt:
Damion might merely be doing that devil's advocate thing.
[conspiracy hat]
And you have to dumpster dive into right wing blogs, because why on Earth would a liberal MSM bother to do something as simple as fair and unbiased reporting?
[/conspiracy hat]

There were also eyewitness reports saying that Mike Brown was shot down in cold blood. (I have a hard time using 'Mike Brown' without thinking of 'Mike Brown, owner of the Bengals')
Neither side will report the full picture, just the picture as they see it. It's no different than the game journalism thing. Suppressing "the Truth" just makes it easier to laugh at much later on.
I would have expected sources to leak to fox before going to GP. Stranger things have happened, I'll take a wait and see where the chips fall.
Another question I have is " what's up with the x-ray?"

Is it the cops x-ray ? An example?

He doesn't label it.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

katamari Damassi wrote:
franc wrote:Who does Zoe Quinn remind folks of? I just can't place it myself...

http://i.imgur.com/kn2QC4o.jpg
If Zinnia Jones fathered a child for Rebecca Watson.
You know, it's scary when we have the same thoughts. Like, literally, the exact same. Makes me think this is a hivemind after all.

I'm not one for slutshaming, but jesus fucking christ. They had sex with this creature and they're willing to defend her to such an extent that they're censoring entire reddit threads and false DMCAing YouTube videos? The FUCK?

Post by Guest »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Guest wrote:Question about "gender assigned at birth" for someone more attuned than I.

Just a small nit, perhaps talking to how so many reporters can zealously back an agenda they really are fuzzy about:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014 ... abuse.html
Raising a Trans Child Is Not Child Abuse

She suggests that providing trans preteens with medication designed to temporarily postpone puberty—which would afford the child, the parents, and their medical provider the opportunity to delay the development of irreversible physical characteristics, allowing all involved parties the chance to review their options before moving forward—is more harmful than forcing them to endure the permanent, dysphoria-inducing effects of a puberty in line with the gender they were assigned at birth.
Assuming gender assignment is a social construct, how does a child's body communicate that socially constructed gender assignment throughout the body so that puberty will be in line with their socially constructed gender assignment?

I would have thought that 99 times out of 100, puberty was aligned pretty closely to a child's actual biological sex, be that XX, XY, XXY, or any of the other myriad combinations and even if that contrasts to that child's gender.
1) c. 99.7% of the time, a person's gender ID matches their karyotypic & phenotypic sex;
2) For the other 0.3%, puberty-delaying hormone treatment is a sound and widely-approved approach. This grants the individual more time to arrive at a conclusive, rather than hasty, assessment of their true gender ID;
3) If an individual's gender ID is affected by embryological factors, then it is essentially 'fixed', and Sex Reassignment is appropriate;
4) If an individual's gender ID is perturbed in whole or in part by "social" (i.e., environmental) factors, therapy would be the appropriate initial treatment, with SRS as a back-up ;
5) Up to 1/4 of young children experience some amount of gender disphoria, but nearly all sort it our on their own. Many of these do turn out to be cis/gay;
6) Given 5), encouraging or pressuring a young, gender disphoric child to settle on a trans ID, is highly unethical. Yet it occurs with alarming frequency;
7) In addition, a small number (<2%) of people are born intersex, so no exact gender ID match us possible. These must be approached on a case-by-case basis, with great emphasis placed on allowing the individual to find the gender ID they are most comfortable with, and to not perform any SR until then.

cf. WPATH Standards of Care.

(And they call me a transphobe hater.)
My point was nit picking and more along the lines of "intent is not magic".

Ignoring what proper treatment may or may not be, assuming that gender is a social construct, puberty does not take place with respect to gender assigned at birth. It takes place with respect to the child's sex.

And I think it is even wrong from the get go to write of "gender assigned at birth", the issue and terminology as I understand it is over "sex assigned at birth"

I dunno.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Oh, and before I forget, in other gaming related news, Humble Bundle just announced another one of their jumbo wumbo bundles:

https://www.humblebundle.com/

It's pretty good. Check it out.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pitchguest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:

You know, it's scary when we have the same thoughts. Like, literally, the exact same. Makes me think this is a hivemind after all.

I'm not one for slutshaming, but jesus fucking christ. They had sex with this creature and they're willing to defend her to such an extent that they're censoring entire reddit threads and false DMCAing YouTube videos? The FUCK?
Dude, you don't understand. Her pussy is, like, you know. And sex with her is like...you know...

http://matzsoft.com/images/Animated.gif

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

The censorship is much more widespread than Reddit. 4chan, NeoGAF, Reddit, The Escapist (heavily moderated and that's probably only because there are so many apologists for Quinn in the single thread they've allowed) and many other websites.

Information is being censored so fast that it's hard to get a picture of what exactly can be known about the situation, which is all very convenient for Quinn.

Meanwhile the defenders go "it's not important." Well if it wasn't important, surely we could all evaluate this information for ourselves in a free and open way and then decide it's not important? Nah, probably better to shadowban people who link to news articles.

So the SJL get all caught up in the bullshit race riots surrounding a probable justified killing, and claim that a game developer's little fuck-circle within the gaming press is irrelevant and has nothing whatsoever to do with corruption in the industry.

Although it seems many social justice warriors are now throwing Quinn under the bus for supposedly abusing her station in the SJL. After all, the men she cheated with had girlfriends, some of whom were not happy to learn about Quinn's antics.

It seems likely Quinn deliberately doxxed herself. Mods seem to be banning and modding anyone who mentions her personal information, keeping in mind of course that Quinn is a public figure who has made no attempt to hide any of her publicly-available information, such as her name and occupation. She DMCA'd that one guy for a single still image from her game.

I think this whole drama goes to show how the close relationship (in this case, skin-to-skin) between the people who make games and those who review and report on them, and that you really can't trust any of the latter to be honest about the former.

franc

Post by franc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
skep tickle wrote:

franc!
Do you know something we don't, Skep? :D
Perhaps he's been transitioning all the time that he's been away from the Pit.
Deadly combo of bitcoins and blackmarket hormone .onion sites... Guess I'm busted.

Nah, catching up on this Zoe Quinn stuff, startling depressingly familiar the parallels. They all work of the same template and are the same amoral vacuums as people. Some forum mentioned Zoe peddling cheesecake selfies to hook white knight's by the balls so I searched. Really, if you don't look closely as these pics flash by in image search, you'd guess it was Becky.

The only real difference between Sarkeesian/Zoe and Watson and company is the latter's petty criminality and lack of ambition. It's like comparing a gang of child pickpockets to professional jewel thieves.

And what odds of Zoe pulling the "I was drunk, they made me" card if things get ugly - as they are likely to with possible divorces and stuff being mumbled about. Fuck them. I hope it's as ugly as possible and brings the lot of them down.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

nymless wonder wrote:My point was nit picking and more along the lines of "intent is not magic".
SJW rhetoric is rife with contradictions. All totalitarian ideologies are intentionally illogical.

Ignoring what proper treatment may or may not be, assuming that gender is a social construct, puberty does not take place with respect to gender assigned at birth. It takes place with respect to the child's sex.

And I think it is even wrong from the get go to write of "gender assigned at birth", the issue and terminology as I understand it is over "sex assigned at birth"
"Gender Assigned At Birth (ASAB)" is a term narrowly related to intersex people. (FTR, Consensus SOC now does not assign a gender at birth to intersex individuals.) The SJW freaks have co-opted "ASAB" to disparage any observation of karyotypic or phenotypic sex.

Indeed, puberty in a typical XX or XY person will proceed, on schedule and by design, to build a mature body of the intended sex. But if that person's mind conceives of themselves as the opposite sex -- or, in many cases, is uncertain -- then delaying the processes of puberty is advisable. For, if the person does end up deciding to adopt the sex opposite to the workings of their karyotype, then the physical reassignment is easier, and ultimately, more "passable". otoh, if they resolve on a typical gender ID, then puberty can be allowed to proceed. And in either case, that's a good thing.

franc

Post by franc »

James Caruthers wrote:It seems likely Quinn deliberately doxxed herself. Mods seem to be banning and modding anyone who mentions her personal information, keeping in mind of course that Quinn is a public figure who has made no attempt to hide any of her publicly-available information, such as her name and occupation. She DMCA'd that one guy for a single still image from her game.
It also seems much of the doxx info posted was fake -

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-w ... -31506935/

She also has a history of fabricating harassment -

Even used Mork's suicide to promote her game -

Has more than enough merit badges to become an honourary skepchick.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Welcome to the Streisand effect, Zoe. Now go fuck yourself.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Pitchguest wrote:Welcome to the Streisand effect, Zoe. Now go fuck yourself.
Only if she's willing to give herself a good review of her game afterwards!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

James Caruthers wrote:
Only if she's willing to give herself a good review of her game afterwards!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

I credit Franc with introducing the term "toilet slave" to my day to day vocabulary.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Franc, eh?

Heard of him but he was before my time. Does he even Bjarte? :bjarte:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Now then, Franc!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:The censorship is much more widespread than Reddit. 4chan, NeoGAF, Reddit, The Escapist (heavily moderated and that's probably only because there are so many apologists for Quinn in the single thread they've allowed) and many other websites.

Information is being censored so fast that it's hard to get a picture of what exactly can be known about the situation, which is all very convenient for Quinn.

Meanwhile the defenders go "it's not important." Well if it wasn't important, surely we could all evaluate this information for ourselves in a free and open way and then decide it's not important? Nah, probably better to shadowban people who link to news articles.

So the SJL get all caught up in the bullshit race riots surrounding a probable justified killing, and claim that a game developer's little fuck-circle within the gaming press is irrelevant and has nothing whatsoever to do with corruption in the industry.

Although it seems many social justice warriors are now throwing Quinn under the bus for supposedly abusing her station in the SJL. After all, the men she cheated with had girlfriends, some of whom were not happy to learn about Quinn's antics.

It seems likely Quinn deliberately doxxed herself. Mods seem to be banning and modding anyone who mentions her personal information, keeping in mind of course that Quinn is a public figure who has made no attempt to hide any of her publicly-available information, such as her name and occupation. She DMCA'd that one guy for a single still image from her game.

I think this whole drama goes to show how the close relationship (in this case, skin-to-skin) between the people who make games and those who review and report on them, and that you really can't trust any of the latter to be honest about the former.
OK. It has been talked about so much that it is being banned everywhere else, here is the link to thezoepost.

http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

I can't say it is super informative, EXCEPT if you were wondering what happens when two tumblr SJWers decide to go steady. It. Is. Fucking. Hillarious with all the fucked up ideas, neurosis, and toilet service you have come to expect and enjoy.

I have only made it down to ACT 1 so far, before I wondered why I was bothering to read about the fucked up love life of two worthless SJWers... but it was funny. I might go back and read the rest just to see how much nuttier they can get.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Franc, eh?

Heard of him but he was before my time. Does he even Bjarte? :bjarte:
Not sure. But he does kick like a girl.

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:The censorship is much more widespread than Reddit. 4chan, NeoGAF, Reddit, The Escapist (heavily moderated and that's probably only because there are so many apologists for Quinn in the single thread they've allowed) and many other websites.

OK. It has been talked about so much that it is being banned everywhere else, here is the link to thezoepost.

I can't say it is super informative, EXCEPT if you were wondering what happens when two tumblr SJWers decide to go steady. It. Is. Fucking. Hillarious with all the fucked up ideas, neurosis, and toilet service you have come to expect and enjoy.

I have only made it down to ACT 1 so far, before I wondered why I was bothering to read about the fucked up love life of two worthless SJWers... but it was funny. I might go back and read the rest just to see how much nuttier they can get.
It took me about an hour to realize there are SIX FUCKING PARTS.

Dude who wrote it is nothing if not detailed.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Really? wrote:
deLurch wrote:OK. It has been talked about so much that it is being banned everywhere else, here is the link to thezoepost.

It took me about an hour to realize there are SIX FUCKING PARTS.

Dude who wrote it is nothing if not detailed.
Steersman? :think:

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Back in the day Franc was THE enemy. If you imagine FTB as a medieval village, their reaction to Franc would be like a 12 foot tall bipedal fire-breathing horned goat-man strolling into town.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

DownThunder wrote:Back in the day Franc was THE enemy. If you imagine FTB as a medieval village, their reaction to Franc would be like a 12 foot tall bipedal fire-breathing horned goat-man strolling into town.
They saw the great god Pan.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

deLurch wrote:

It's pretty much a 'scorned ex-girlfriend tells all' post (or series of posts.)
It's also a classic example of what happens when you take SJW claims to their logical conclusion. The guy seems to have bought into Zoe Quinns idea that consent in regards to sex involves 'informed consent' and that if she insists that sexual infidelity is not compatible with informed consent then her having (five?) affairs violates his consent.

And SJW's, what exactly do we call sex without consent?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

But wait, did the other men also have informed consent? Somehow I doubt little miss serial rapist will be criticised on those grounds with the influence of SJWs on discussion. Or at all, given the alarming level of censorship going on.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DownThunder wrote:But wait, did the other men also have informed consent? Somehow I doubt little miss serial rapist will be criticised on those grounds with the influence of SJWs on discussion. Or at all, given the alarming level of censorship going on.
Well, at least one of them, her boss, was married.
It's going to be hard to maintain that sexual infidelity = lack of consent in that situation - at least for Quinn and the boss. The wife of the boss, however, should be free to utilize the rule against her hubby.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

A wild Franc has appeared!
And through a quick and probably explicable series of mental images he might forever look like a faintly sparkling and gleaming unicorn in my mind's eye.

Also, I was under the impression that realhorrorshow was responsible for all the "toilet slave" this and "toilet slave" that which has proliferated through the 'pit lately.

Regardless. I know how it all makes sense. ;)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

The Internet Aristocrat put together a summary video of the issue. I generally enjoy his work.
[youtube]C5-51PfwI3M[/youtube]

However, I feel like he seriously goes off the rails by jumping to the conclusion that she slept with several other writers, editors etc based on zero facts and evidence what-so-ever.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

zenbabe wrote:A wild Franc has appeared!
And through a quick and probably explicable series of mental images he might forever look like a faintly sparkling and gleaming unicorn in my mind's eye.

Also, I was under the impression that realhorrorshow was responsible for all the "toilet slave" this and "toilet slave" that which has proliferated through the 'pit lately.

Regardless. I know how it all makes sense. ;)
http://i.imgur.com/xb7TcsM.jpg

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

deLurch wrote:The Internet Aristocrat put together a summary video of the issue. I generally enjoy his work.
C5-51PfwI3M

However, I feel like he seriously goes off the rails by jumping to the conclusion that she slept with several other writers, editors etc based on zero facts and evidence what-so-ever.
Yeah, I'd seen that linked several places with people saying it was really good, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Too much speculation and personal insults. And I don't think "she slept with people to get good reviews" is the story here.

I think the best take on it I've seen so far is Totalbiscuit's that I linked somewhere upthread. Not someone I always agree with, but his post was basically "I don't really want to touch this with a ten foot pole, but the methods used to silence people, such as possibly illegal DMCA takedown notices, are far beyond the pale".

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/6RFCCeS.jpg

Nary a PZ to be found.

Oh well memory holed sir/madam, well done indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/ZjOjcsX.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

TedDahlberg wrote:Yeah, I'd seen that linked several places with people saying it was really good, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Too much speculation and personal insults. And I don't think "she slept with people to get good reviews" is the story here.
Yeah, somehow I doubt that is what happened. People had an existing fucking relationship, so they did their old fuck buddy a favor.

What should occur is that game reviewers shouldn't write about people's games when they have a conflict of interest such as a sexual relationship. But that boat sailed a long time ago when it comes to payloa, ad revenue, paid travel, free games and early access only going to writers who write positive reviews.

You see the same thing when it comes to free hardware & technology reviewers.

franc

Post by franc »

I'll just leave this here as a text file so you can't just click the links. NSFW. May need bleach for eyes, icepacks for hypocrisy burns. People shouldn't oughtta whine about women's objectification in games whilst simultaneously peddling themselves as objects to those same gaming fanboys.

[Rename zoe_quinn.txt.zip => zoe_quinn.txt, don't unzip. PHPbb for whatever reason doesn't allow text attachments]
zoe_quinn.txt.zip
(403 Bytes) Downloaded 80 times

didymos

Post by didymos »

The weirdest thing about the Quinn drama was the supposed doxxing. At first I was like "Well, that was inevitable, I guess", but then people started doing reverse lookups on the phone numbers and her and her friend's cell numbers turned out to be some random landlines in Hawaii and her Dad's number was a motorcycle shop in New York City. Nobody on her side seems to have said a word about that.

franc

Post by franc »

TedDahlberg wrote:Also, I was under the impression that realhorrorshow was responsible for all the "toilet slave" this and "toilet slave" that which has proliferated through the 'pit lately.
http://greylining.com/2011/06/27/parade-of-eunuchs/

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

franc wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Also, I was under the impression that realhorrorshow was responsible for all the "toilet slave" this and "toilet slave" that which has proliferated through the 'pit lately.
I wrote that. Ted provided the hilarious pic which greatly enhanced my fantasy. You're probably too exuberant about being back to remember to use the edit button.
Cheers, and thanks. Nothing like a good correction to top off the night shift.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

franc wrote:I'll just leave this here as a text file so you can't just click the links. NSFW. May need bleach for eyes, icepacks for hypocrisy burns. People shouldn't oughtta whine about women's objectification in games whilst simultaneously peddling themselves as objects to those same gaming fanboys.

[Rename zoe_quinn.txt.zip => zoe_quinn.txt, don't unzip. PHPbb for whatever reason doesn't allow text attachments]
zoe_quinn.txt.zip
Porn objectifies women (and men), but what is wrong with that?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Opyt wrote:Congratulations to Avicenna. But, meh.
Not to brag about it, but you know who else is a doctor?

Although, to be fair about it, as much as he lies about things, I wouldn't be surprised if this was another one. Given that we'll never know, nor do most of us really care about his third-rate fantasy life, I agree...meh.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

deLurch wrote:The Internet Aristocrat put together a summary video of the issue. I generally enjoy his work.

A lot of it is good and informative (watch it up to the 18 min point) but I agree he jumps to conclusions that are better explained by alternative scenarios.
For example, most of the behavior of geek media over the past few years can be explained better by the notion that they are avoiding being targets of callout culture through joining it themselves, and that this has an added advantage in driving traffic to their sites because SJW callout stories tend to be good clickbait - and clicks are the bread and butter of online geek media.

There may be occasional unethical actions like journalists sleeping with the subjects of their pieces but for the most part I don't think this stands up to scrutiny. Look at all the coverage that Watson or Sarkeesian have got. Is there any evidence that they have used sexual favors to garner the positive press? I don't think so. They get positive coverage because of their ability to use callout culture.
Now they certainly do other things that are unethical, dishonest and manipulative, but sleeping with journalists doesn't seem to be on that list.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Why exactly should we be frustrated by the fact that Avicenna has become a doctor? I don't get it.
Because we're all evil and hate doctors, or something. I am glad he passed, though, as maybe he'll get lots of work on his hand and stop writing bullshit. Plus, he may actually help people.
More attention whoring. About the most he gets is when he goes completely off the rails and some people try to look into things skeptically to try to determine the truth. Nobody really gives a shit unless you are bored (like I am) and just typing things for the hell of it. I'm also curious as to why Damion thinks it's newsworthy. Is he trying to distract us from Ferguson? Damion is a racist puppet of the illuminati-one-world-government! :o

franc

Post by franc »

[youtube]IRf9_uzcOrQ[/youtube]

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

I couldn't give less of a shit about the cesspool of games "journalism", it's always been corrupt buddy-buddy you-scratch-my-back-i-scratch yours worthless bullshit. She's a seamlessly perfect fit to that environment.

Thing is, she made her name in games "journalism" by being a holier-than-thou self-righteous moralizer, aka an SJW. Not sure how anyone can keep taking anything she says even tangentially related to ethics and morals after this. She's been exposed as a pathological liar. She can make all the excuses she wants and shift the blame on her mother, or her husband, it still won't change what she is.

The only truth in those chat logs is when she says "I've become the same monster my mother and husband were", except even that is a lie, because she didn't "become" that, she clearly always has been. Broken person raised by BPD pathological liar turns into BPD pathological liar. And is so insane she can still unironically paint herself a posterchild of "ethical feminist gamer", afraid any of it would come out publically because "gaming would lose one of it's only strong and empowered female voices".

Just what? You're a terrible example of a human being. You've done a huge disservice to your "cause", but I doubt you ever cared about it in any way. It was only ever useful as a cloak to cover up your shady bullshit, turning yourself into some sort of martyr hero because you found out long ago it was the perfect vehicle to act like a reprehensible cunt and never get called out on it. You were just afraid the cloak was going to be ripped away to expose what you really are, as opposed to the carefully constructed persona you project to the world.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

deLurch wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Yeah, I'd seen that linked several places with people saying it was really good, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Too much speculation and personal insults. And I don't think "she slept with people to get good reviews" is the story here.
Yeah, somehow I doubt that is what happened. People had an existing fucking relationship, so they did their old fuck buddy a favor.

What should occur is that game reviewers shouldn't write about people's games when they have a conflict of interest such as a sexual relationship. But that boat sailed a long time ago when it comes to payloa, ad revenue, paid travel, free games and early access only going to writers who write positive reviews.

You see the same thing when it comes to free hardware & technology reviewers.
Indeed, to me the problem is to a smaller part the hypocrisy on display, but mostly the obvious conflicts of interest and subsequent suppression of nearly all discussion. It's a personal matter, they say. Well yes, but it's a personal matter affecting professional conduct. You probably shouldn't expect to get away with that kind of thing. Even if the practical impact in this case was minimal (I have no idea exactly how to quantify that), the damage to reputation and trust is still very real.

I appreciate sites like Giant Bomb, where they're quite open about their friendships with various developers, and will refrain from reviewing a game if they have a particularly close relationship with the developers. They might still cover it and talk about it, but in a more informal way. The site was co-founded by Jeff Gerstmann who got fired from Gamespot for giving a game a bad review while the publisher was advertising on the site. So there's a history of some integrity there.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:Congrats to Avicenna; I wish him well.
WTF? When did this happen (or rather, in what reality)? Is this how he explains his failure the first time? I'm just guessing that the money was in tuition? Does this mean he's going to blogging more since he'll be wondering the world to hot spots to offer first rate medical care for free... to starving orphans...

I suspect he's trolling for attention. We haven't really paid any attention to him since his last medical journey (wasn't it the autopsy of that girl several thousand miles away from him?).

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Avicenna popping up on the pit at the same time as this Quinn drama is timely. Another self-agrandizing pathological liar, or noble self-sacrificing SJW? Given the whoppers he's come out with already and were never adressed again, I know what my guess is.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Avicenna popping up on the pit at the same time as this Quinn drama is timely. Another self-agrandizing pathological liar, or noble self-sacrificing SJW? Given the whoppers he's come out with already and were never adressed again, I know what my guess is.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:
dogen wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
This is something that bothers me about the pit. The running theme that Shermer was demonized based off rumor. Perhaps I'm mischaracterizing things, so everyone please chime in. Do you think the evidence that Shermer behaved badly (and that women have good cause to avoid him) is sufficient? It seems to me the majority opinion around here is that the attacks against him were all baseless hearsay. I think that position is primarily based off bias. If a random stranger had presented with the same level of evidence, I suspect we'd all be comfortable warning the women we love to avoid him (and yes, there was a fair amount of hysteria on the witch hunters' part, but I want to move past the rhetoric and into the heart of the issue).
(emphasis mine). Really? The 'level of evidence' was this: PZ said some unnamed person told him that another unnamed person had been raped by Shermer, on an unknown date and in unknown circumstances. That's not evidence, that's hearsay.
That and the other "evidence" seemed to be a woman who said Shermer got her drunk (intending nefarious things) when either he'd kept refilling her wine glass (and she kept drinking from it) or he'd told the waitstaff at an event to keep everyone's wine glasses full. (I never did figure out whether those were the same event or 2 different ones.) Plus Elyse, wasn't it, saying he'd whispered some innuendo while next to her in line for a buffet meal.

None of that rose anywhere near the level of a rape accusation. Maybe a "bad boy" but that's not illegal.
Wasn't there something about him sleeping with a groupie, completely consensual, and then she got pissed when he just left her with a signed copy of one of his books? I vaguely remember hearing that rumor a while back, maybe before this grenade was tossed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

franc wrote:[youtube]IRf9_uzcOrQ[/youtube]
Zoe Quinn wrote:My life and my body are not public property. No one’s life and body are public property.
Correct! However, they are available for the low low price of $10 per month. Now stop posting her nudes publicly. It undercuts into her 'modeling' career profits.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Congrats to Avicenna; I wish him well.
WTF? When did this happen (or rather, in what reality)? Is this how he explains his failure the first time? I'm just guessing that the money was in tuition? Does this mean he's going to blogging more since he'll be wondering the world to hot spots to offer first rate medical care for free... to starving orphans...
Now that he's qualified he should indeed be able to offer his services to those starving orphans - or those patriarchy oppressed women in the third world.

Alternatively he could simply cash-in his freshly acquired earning potential by taking the first lucrative NHS appointment he can get his hands on.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

katamari Damassi wrote:

Where's the barfing smiley?

I have to sleep! I don't need nightmares!

Say, if I don't find her attractive (fake hair and fugly glasses on an average face and body, not my thing), does that mean I need a transcock up my ass, or that I'm (more, apparently) of a misogynist, or what? I get them confused.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Really? wrote: Dude, you don't understand. Her pussy is, like, you know. And sex with her is like...you know...

http://matzsoft.com/images/Animated.gif
The word you're looking for is "free". Maybe "easy" as well.

Post by Guest »

Her Patron jumped to almost 2k a month due to this, this is how dumb people are

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

He didn't. He argued she might as well have. Not jumping to conclusions, merely introducing the possibility. If she slept with people to gain more favourable reviews on her "game" and publicity to get it greenlit on Steam, then who's to say she didn't sleep with the people currently censoring content on Reddit, Tumblr, Giant Bomb, etc, etc.

Not a conspiracy theory but a general question of integrity (or lack thereof) regarding videogame journalism.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:
Gee, I wish I was so horribly oppressed.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Pitchguest wrote:

He didn't. He argued she might as well have. Not jumping to conclusions, merely introducing the possibility. If she slept with people to gain more favourable reviews on her "game" and publicity to get it greenlit on Steam, then who's to say she didn't sleep with the people currently censoring content on Reddit, Tumblr, Giant Bomb, etc, etc.

Not a conspiracy theory but a general question of integrity (or lack thereof) regarding videogame journalism.
Or anything. Once you get a reputation for doing unethical things, people start to wonder how far you carry that out into other areas.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Keep in mind this is probably only the surface. The Five Guys (tm) she slept with were over a what, 2 month period? The boyfriend didn't stick around nearly long enough to unravel even a fraction of the web of lies. He himself admits as much, that they are just the ones he torturously managed to wring out of her as she tried to find out exactly what he already knew to cover her tracks. The whole shifting the blame to her mother, her ex-husband and her mental issues (literal brain damage) leads me to think this is a well-established pattern.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Guest wrote:
I bet 99.9% of those are straight men. Finally, an online damsel in distress that actually puts out; no wonder the white knights are queuing up to fling cash at her.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Guest wrote:
I bet 99.9% of those donors are straight men. Finally, an online damsel in distress that actually puts out; no wonder the white knights are queuing up to fling cash at her.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

TedDahlberg wrote:
C5-51PfwI3M

Yeah, I'd seen that linked several places with people saying it was really good, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Too much speculation and personal insults. And I don't think "she slept with people to get good reviews" is the story here.

I think the best take on it I've seen so far is Totalbiscuit's that I linked somewhere upthread. Not someone I always agree with, but his post was basically "I don't really want to touch this with a ten foot pole, but the methods used to silence people, such as possibly illegal DMCA takedown notices, are far beyond the pale".
I think the point about sleeping with people to get good/better reviews is perfectly acceptable criticism. Especially when three of them are people within the gaming community that carries considerable clout (Nathan Grayson, for instance, formerly of Rock, Paper, Shotgun, now writer at Kotaku, who signal boosted her game "Depression Quest" to be greenlit on Steam). That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm of the mind that if they were willing to screw their integrity (quite literally) just to say some nice things about her on their website, then maybe the rabbit hole goes even deeper. Greg Tito, Editor in Chief of Escapist Magazine, suspending users like mad; el_chupacupcake, moderator at Reddit, censoring entire threads/subreddits just discussing Zoe Quinn (over 22K comments on that TotalBiscuit thread alone, most of them deleted). Something is very, very wrong here.

I couldn't give two shits about her treacherous ways relationship wise. That's between her and her ex. But when that relationship is interspersed with manipulating the gaming press, censorship and playing the victim to gain oppression points (not to mention lying about pretty much everything she claimed was used against her, including the doxxing), then it becomes something more than some guy tittering on the internet that "this woman cheated on me with five other guys."

I've seen the commentary over at sites like Escapist, Giant Bomb and so on. Even though this has been brought up ad infinitum/nauseam, there are still people insisting "this is none of our business." To which I reply (in my head): "Actually, if you're a gamer and you care about the industry, then yes, it is your fucking business and you would if you'd looked up the facts instead of sitting there like another bootlicking ignoramus."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Badger3k wrote:
Guest wrote:
Gee, I wish I was so horribly oppressed.
Patriarchy in action. That's basically blood money right there. White, able-bodied, male blood.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

A lot of it is good and informative (watch it up to the 18 min point) but I agree he jumps to conclusions that are better explained by alternative scenarios.
For example, most of the behavior of geek media over the past few years can be explained better by the notion that they are avoiding being targets of callout culture through joining it themselves, and that this has an added advantage in driving traffic to their sites because SJW callout stories tend to be good clickbait - and clicks are the bread and butter of online geek media.

There may be occasional unethical actions like journalists sleeping with the subjects of their pieces but for the most part I don't think this stands up to scrutiny. Look at all the coverage that Watson or Sarkeesian have got. Is there any evidence that they have used sexual favors to garner the positive press? I don't think so. They get positive coverage because of their ability to use callout culture.
Now they certainly do other things that are unethical, dishonest and manipulative, but sleeping with journalists doesn't seem to be on that list.
Bang on as usual.

That video was part-informative / part-hysterical. Firstly, problems in game journalism are the first world-est of first world problems. Who cares, really? I'm an avid gamer, but I tend to go by forums/user reviews as much as the critic reviews. I don't get why people get so worked up because someone wrote an article about a game that they don't agree with. Just don't read them then, or favour another site. Or try to spend more time actually playing the games...

I'm a bit more concerned with the willingness to delete comments that criticise the situation. There was a thread on Reddit r/gaming that was just a huge string of deleted comments with one or two still there, wondering where all the comments have gone.

As you say, one reason for this is to avoid being a target. Another, I think, is that they want to be seen as a progressive "ally of women". It's mere posturing - it might be a good look but it does nothing to actually help women (which is of course a worthy cause); it is inherently selfish. I want to be seen as an ally of progressive causes too, but I would prefer it if I managed that by actually doing something productive rather than just continually saying "look how much of a not-misogynist I am". It's easy to do (too easy!) but doesn't actually help anyone.

Finally let's not forget that many of these people know each other in real life, and hang out in the pub and whatnot. That's sure to affect things. People also might want to become friends with these characters, and "helping" them this way might be a way of befriending them. It clearly works. It's similar to the "you just want to get laid" accusation, but a bit more realistic, I think.

We shouldn't rule out the fact that they might be True Believers, but surely a True Believer would actually strive to figure out how to move forward. It's fairly obvious that many are, cynically, just in it for the "SJ cred".