Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
bovarchist

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by bovarchist »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Fact is, Aristotle got every single thing wrong.

<snip>

Plato was a dundering blockhead as well.
[youtube]U_eZmEiyTo0[/youtube]

0:15. ;)
Oh come on! Even Sherlock Holmes didn't figure out that both pills were poison.

Post by guest »

Brive1987 wrote:Rebecca fails to obtain enthusiastic content.

http://i.imgur.com/mwG9BV3.jpg
no, you got it right. Theres no content.

speaking of::

which drama-blogger boasts tha she's missing SkeptiCon for the first time because she's got a holiday in Hong Kong on the way to TAM Australia.......

and then bitches about having to move into a 1Br apartment in expensive San Fran -- because her $700 every week for 4--5 minute duration videos don't get her a new vid card for her 3 yr old computer ASAP?

https://www.anonimg.com/img/d657c64c33d ... 5adb56.png

hope everyone at Dragon*Con is looking forward to her turning up!

Should have done something about the Skepchicks walking all over you and running Skepttrack for their own benefit back when you had a chance Derek and Swoopy.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

rayshul wrote:
Hunt wrote:
piginthecity wrote:I haven't got any cash on me at the moment for a donation, but I'm sure I speak for all the Slymepit when I offer fraternal and soriotorial greetings and congratulations to our friends over at Atheism Plus on the occasion of their second and final anniversary.

Alright, alright team! We're almost halfway through and we're just about half...er, we're, well, we're at $0 so far. But...great. So, projecting that to the end of the fundraiser, we'll be at just over... $0 .... .... by the end of next week. .......... But that's ok!, that's ok, because we're building steam. This is gonna be great....
They're up to $10.

I sent the $10.

They're at a point where it's too pathetic and I feel really sorry for them.
And another marginalized atheist scholar of hyper-intersectionality receives the full value of her education...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Really? wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
rayshul wrote:They're up to $10.

I sent the $10.

I'm moved to donate myself. Hateful as the group may be, I pity them at the moment.
How can anyone continue to claim that the A+ or FTB weirdos are the "good people?" Pitters have far more empathy than the Horde. More generosity. A sense of humor. Jobs.

Pitters are ideal mates...
I don't know. I feel more like it's like, a white guilt kind of thing.

Post by Guest »

http://i.imgur.com/PUpNXVS.jpg

But but Feminists and the SJL have taught me to believe survivors....

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I sent the $10.

You have a kind heart, or a fiendish mind. Or possibly both. 8-)
Alex Conall flash fiction

Alex Conall will write you a story between 250 and 275 words to parameters you provide, to be posted publicly on zir Dreamwidth. Multiply the contribution amount and Alex will multiply the minimum word count by the same number: a $20 donation will get you a 500-525 word story.
Oh, excellent. Can't wait to see what flash fiction Alex Conall comes up with to "parameters you provide". :whistle:

I'm going to guess that "zir Dreamwidth" means Alex Conall's Dreamwidth, though if a donor preferred "zir" pronouns it would be unclear to whom that referred.

At that page, Alex Conall comments: "I am most comfortable with fantasy, though I'll take a crack at any genre, and I prefer to write characters who are marginalized in some way (such as being female, of color, queer, with disabilities...)."

Ze gives an example of parameters one might provide: "hall I pay the needed toll, just the purchase of a soul, starring a genderqueer person with asthma"

Perhaps we could offer you some suggestions, rayshul, on parameters you could provide Alex Conall for your flash fiction. :dance:

I'd suggest "Atheism Plus, safe space" plus either "mixed race bisexual vegan atheist Buddhist Thai minority raised in poverty" or "man who was previously raped being told it would have been better if he'd been murdered" - but those have already been done in something closer to real life than flash fiction.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

bovarchist wrote:And another marginalized atheist scholar of hyper-intersectionality receives the full value of her education...
From the Indiegogo page:
We are Atheism Plus, a movement of atheists passionate about social justice. We are women, men, and nonbinary people, trans and cis, queer and straight, disabled and abled, neurodiverse and neurotypical, in all colors of the human rainbow. And we want to do something to celebrate the second anniversary of our movement, which is coming up on 26 August.
Nonbinary. Right.
We want to donate a lump-sum thousand dollars in Atheism Plus's name to a good cause.

In the Members Only section of the Atheism Plus forum, we're still voting on what that cause should be. As Alex types this on 2 August, "scholarship for a marginalized atheist intersectional-feminist-activist student" is winning by a nose. This is subject to change as voting continues.
There are several students among the active posters at A+ forum, including Alex Conall, Grimalkin, & Kassiane. (Also ischemgeek though as a grad student in chemistry - I think that's what she is - she would presumably have funding).

Not that I care, but d'you s'pose they're going to decide on one particularly worthy recipient among them, or divvy up the donation-scholarship funds among them, or find a worthy recipient who's not a forum member? Ooh, Miri. Or Avi. Oh, hey, there are lots of possibilities. :D

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
another lurker wrote:If someone spends a lot of time buttressing their arguments with talk of ontology and teleology, does this mean that they are a fucking moron?
I means they're a philosopher.

So, yes.
Yeah. One of these assholes told me that scientific evidence *did not count* and that what mattered was what philosophers *thought*.

I am still kinda stunned regarding that revelation.
[youtube]tl4VD8uvgec[/youtube]

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Did someone say girlcock? Apparently its terf week! (On twitter, which means the whole world obviously)

Everyone dogpile on a terf!

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/ ... 083849.jpg

Am I doin it rite?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I guess Dana Hunter hasn't caught up yet. On a whim, I scrolled through the FTB feed, and saw that Hunter (who I vaguely recall...something about rocks, or was that someone else? - Ah! Going back, I did see that she's the one with the horrible Spanish-ish title!) had a post on Dunning.

Skimmed most of it since it is pretty confusing - apparently it's a big thing that the Skeptoid twitter feed is somehow set to exclude words like fraud, cookies, and ebay. Apparently this is to keep people from learning about his criminal case. Not, perhaps, because from the screenshots it seemed people knew about it, and that the Skeptoid feed should probably be about the show and not Dunning? I guess she (and tidybowl) expect the feed to have a signature line about the crime or something. Maybe she should set up a twitter feed that sends reminders to people that he's a crook (also apparently now and forever more) every fifteen minutes or so for the next fifteen months?

The part that stands out (other than her ignorance of Dunning, his history, and his podcast), is this bit she highlighted:Attention Brian Dunning’s Loyal Fan C ... elsewhere.

Just...wtf? I read his letter, and it seemed straight forward. I haven't made a thorough search (since I don't really care), but who is defending his actions? Just about everything I have seen is "Yes, he did a crime, he is paying for it," and maybe some "let's move on". Not asking for a search, but has anyone come across anyone defending his actions? It just seems a bit odd. Although the criminal forever concept isn't foreign if you are familiar with some religious groups, and I do have to wonder if Dunnings Libertarian politics (I believe) have anything to do with it, or even the link to Skepchick about his "DDT Fail". I vaguely recall that, but I am not so sure the Skepchicks have it correct either (and I didn't go back...just can't enact the labor). Not really important. I guess the long hyphenated part had to do with his remarks that Skeptoid Inc is not his personal account and is set up as a non-profit, and none of the money he got went to that?

This post just seems a little late, and it seems to come at an interesting time...perhaps to draw attention away from a certain blogger who put his foot in his mouth? Hmmmm. :think:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Badger:
Were you looking for quote instead of url?
Attention Brian Dunning’s Loyal Fan Club: Yes, he committed a serious crime. Yes, he deserves to go to jail. Yes, you really are a rotten skeptic if you think his actions are defensible, but a psychic’s claims they can talk to your-dead-relative-whose-name-begins-with-j-no-wait-maybe-a-w are not. Yes, you are a sucker if you read that “explanation” of his and didn’t have every this-asshole’s-got-a-thick-wool-sack-and-is-coming-at-my-eyes-with-it-whilst-preparing-to-reach-for-my-wallet alarm. And yes, it is a fact that you won’t be allowed to whine all over the comments here. Go elsewhere.
And how DARE you accuse a circlejerk. I think it's more linear as pointing at Robin Williams causing a distraction from Ferguson, MO causing a distraction from Brian Dunning fraud case.
[conspiracy]
Maybe it's a plot by the FBI to exonerate Brian Dunning, but doing it quietly under the disguise of race riots and a tragic suicide. And a month after he's been exonerated, Robin Williams will pop out of hiding and tell a joke about how his death has been "greatly exaggerated".
[/conspiracy]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

From Atheism Plus:
Given that the skepticism forum had seen very little activity, I've removed it, and merged all existing posts into the science forum. This has been renamed "Science and skepticism", to reflect its new scope.
I wonder why. :(

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Badger3K wrote: <snip>
It just seems a bit odd. Although the criminal forever concept isn't foreign if you are familiar with some religious groups,
</snip>
No, Hunter is a bit odd. I'm embarrassed to share the prefix of her last name, providing that's not a pseudonym. We can take it as given that there's something wrong with people who get that worked up over the misdeed of someone they don't even know. Skeptics have all the faults and foibles that other people have--stop the presses.

The "criminal forever" thing expresses the fundamentalism of these people. Once in hell, you burn forever. No second chances.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

By the way, I doubt we'll see any further analysis of PZ's Williams post on FtB. The silent understanding must be that the topic is verboten. Avi's post, the only one that seems to have broached the topic, only made it to twelve comments. I have a feeling the wall has come down. From here on out the "understanding" will be full suppression.

For me the result is that Avi is my new favorite FtBlogger. He may have some problems distinguishing fantasy from reality from time to time, but he's the only one who had the balls to say anything.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:By the way, I doubt we'll see any further analysis of PZ's Williams post on FtB. The silent understanding must be that the topic is verboten. Avi's post, the only one that seems to have broached the topic, only made it to twelve comments. I have a feeling the wall has come down. From here on out the "understanding" will be full suppression.

For me the result is that Avi is my new favorite FtBlogger. He may have some problems distinguishing fantasy from reality from time to time, but he's the only one who had the balls to say anything.
I agree, there isn't a stick long enough for them to pored that stinking corpse. And RW is as bad.

At least PZ, has some new like minded allies to bond with.

http://i.imgur.com/gesl3iB.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Poke. Tomorrow will be a beer free day.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Brive:
Not at all surprised to hear WBC being reprehensible sub-humans that put their opinions ahead of others, but such is the right to protest. It doesn't need to be legitimate in anyone's eyes (not even WBC) for them to do it. I wonder if there will be a protest of WBC protesting at the Robin Williams funeral. Sort of 'meta' that way. Where their "protest" pushes the WBC back to a mile or so. They're just trying to stay relevant after Phelps died.

Also:
YAY MORE PIRANHAS! Although these two seem quite a bit more generic. Probably intended.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Of course, free country and all that. I find it amusing that WBC and the Peez have found some form of common ground by jointly plunging through the floor of common decency.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Badger3k wrote:I guess Dana Hunter hasn't caught up yet. On a whim, I scrolled through the FTB feed, and saw that Hunter (who I vaguely recall...something about rocks, or was that someone else? - Ah! Going back, I did see that she's the one with the horrible Spanish-ish title!) had a post on Dunning.

Skimmed most of it since it is pretty confusing - apparently it's a big thing that the Skeptoid twitter feed is somehow set to exclude words like fraud, cookies, and ebay. Apparently this is to keep people from learning about his criminal case. Not, perhaps, because from the screenshots it seemed people knew about it, and that the Skeptoid feed should probably be about the show and not Dunning? I guess she (and tidybowl) expect the feed to have a signature line about the crime or something. Maybe she should set up a twitter feed that sends reminders to people that he's a crook (also apparently now and forever more) every fifteen minutes or so for the next fifteen months?

The part that stands out (other than her ignorance of Dunning, his history, and his podcast), is this bit she highlighted:Attention Brian Dunning’s Loyal Fan C ... elsewhere.

Just...wtf? I read his letter, and it seemed straight forward. I haven't made a thorough search (since I don't really care), but who is defending his actions? Just about everything I have seen is "Yes, he did a crime, he is paying for it," and maybe some "let's move on". Not asking for a search, but has anyone come across anyone defending his actions? It just seems a bit odd. Although the criminal forever concept isn't foreign if you are familiar with some religious groups, and I do have to wonder if Dunnings Libertarian politics (I believe) have anything to do with it, or even the link to Skepchick about his "DDT Fail". I vaguely recall that, but I am not so sure the Skepchicks have it correct either (and I didn't go back...just can't enact the labor). Not really important. I guess the long hyphenated part had to do with his remarks that Skeptoid Inc is not his personal account and is set up as a non-profit, and none of the money he got went to that?

This post just seems a little late, and it seems to come at an interesting time...perhaps to draw attention away from a certain blogger who put his foot in his mouth? Hmmmm. :think:
It is a little overkill at this point, though not unexpected. Here is something who did something WRONG. And if you still like him you are doing something WRONG. Why can't you be a GOOD person and HATE him like we do. I've never heard of this guy or his podcast outside of the criminal case, and I feel like supporting him just from the silly condemnations. Also reading about his case makes me want to watch Office Space.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

FTB and WBC: on one side a bunch of nasty, bigoted loons, on the other a fundie Christian fringe group.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

So maybe today is my day of niceness to terrible people, but I find myself looking on WBC in a more favorable light, because they don't try to get people fired, or attack them, they protest and they're all within the law in doing it. And yes it's offensive but fuck, I support their right to be assholes.

And I have been watching Robin Williams movies all day.

*sob*

Anyway.
Skep tickle wrote:There are several students among the active posters at A+ forum, including Alex Conall, Grimalkin, & Kassiane. (Also ischemgeek though as a grad student in chemistry - I think that's what she is - she would presumably have funding).

Not that I care, but d'you s'pose they're going to decide on one particularly worthy recipient among them, or divvy up the donation-scholarship funds among them, or find a worthy recipient who's not a forum member? Ooh, Miri. Or Avi. Oh, hey, there are lots of possibilities. :D
Maybe they can buy a few packets of ramen and share the lot.

I'm pretty sure we all know that nothing is going to happen and they won't make a decision and everyone is going to be incredibly triggered at the end of it, but they'll feel like they've made a difference.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Jan Steen wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/qkKGGqg.jpg[/img]
:clap:
http://i.imgur.com/S7Cp6dB.jpg

FTFY.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Curses. Foiled again.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Only the blue wig is still missing. But I've to go out now.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

I'm not going to press it. Especially since LazySavant has been traumatizing me with that image of Becky Booze & her Cephalopod-Section on Twitter.

ShameMaggot

Post by ShameMaggot »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Plato was a dundering blockhead as well. The Republic reads like it was written by an eleven year-old.
wat

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

I sent the $10.
Shame on you.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

By which I mean you didn't leave a public comment saying "With Greetings from the Slymepit".

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote: They're up to $10.
I sent the $10.
You know they are just going to shove it in their pockets right? Their fund raiser is just their way of giving themselves money. This is why their non-profit status couldn't go anywhere.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

rayshul wrote:
Hunt wrote:
piginthecity wrote:I haven't got any cash on me at the moment for a donation, but I'm sure I speak for all the Slymepit when I offer fraternal and soriotorial greetings and congratulations to our friends over at Atheism Plus on the occasion of their second and final anniversary.

Alright, alright team! We're almost halfway through and we're just about half...er, we're, well, we're at $0 so far. But...great. So, projecting that to the end of the fundraiser, we'll be at just over... $0 .... .... by the end of next week. .......... But that's ok!, that's ok, because we're building steam. This is gonna be great....
They're up to $10.

I sent the $10.

Pity. If only everyone would give me their $10, I would donate $20 dollars to the fund. And after that, everyone would donate $10 to you and you would donate $20 to the fund, and so on, and so on...
You see how that works?????

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Hunt:
I don't have 10$ to spare.
But I've never been banned from A+ Forums.
Though I would qualify for a shadowban on principle.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

rayshul wrote:...and I hope this doesn't wind up with some A+ stalking from them. But y'know, what can you do.
You should at least expect a doxxing.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

deLurch wrote:
I sent the $10.
You know they are just going to shove it in their pockets right? Their fund raiser is just their way of giving themselves money. This is why their non-profit status couldn't go anywhere.
Well what kind of flash fiction are you going to request?

katamari Damassi

Brive1987 wrote:PZs Instagram - "heading down the main drag, looking for the welcoming crowds"

Borne along on the winds of haggis flatulence.

(And the tears of this unfortunate misogynist)

http://i.imgur.com/UraMPSn.jpg
Rickshaws are cultural appropriation! That racist SHITLORD!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I sent the $10.
Well what kind of flash fiction are you going to request?
"Setar And The Journey To The Centre Of His Arsehole"
"Tales From The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone"
"Otherkin: Heart Of A Wolf, Body Of A Watermelon"
"Trumping Through My Jap's Eye : How To Queef Through The Pisshole Of Your Girlcock"

katamari Damassi

Lol autocorrect changed shitlord to all caps.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Skep tickle wrote: At that page, Alex Conall comments: "I am most comfortable with fantasy, though I'll take a crack at any genre...
They might want to try reality for a change.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: At that page, Alex Conall comments: "I am most comfortable with fantasy, though I'll take a crack at any genre...
They might want to try reality for a change.
*cough*

<--------

katamari Damassi

Tribble wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Suck my dirty gross anatomy scrubs, haterz! I devoured the ASoIaF novels and loved them. I'm a Tolkienophile as well, and reread the LoTR and Silmarillion almost every other year.

Agreed that Jamie, Tyrion, and Arya are interesting characters. The Iron Islanders are the most entertaining, though, with their batshit Drowned God religion (Aeron Greyjoy is a priest), and rogues like Asha Greyjoy (I think she's called Yara in the TV series).
So do I. So do I. My wife thinks it's weird. How I read them over and over and over and over and over. And I played LOTRO for years.

And was seriously pissed off on that fucking Jackson did to The Two Towers (the elves at Helm's Deep, the idiot romance, the wargs) and, even worse, The Return of the KIng (Faramir, some of the seige of Gondor, the Dead that were not at Gondor but were released after they relieved Dol Amroth) and, possibly the greatest sin, he settled on Viggo Mortenson when Russel Crow had a scheduling conflict!!!

I mean WTF!!!! I'd have kept looking. Or I'd have cast Sean Bean (Boromir). He'd finally make to the end of a movie without dying and I thought he looked far more the part of Aragorn than Viggo...
I can't believe it's going on 25 years but that's the last time I was in a tabletop RPG. I was running a campaign that took place a thousand years into the fourth age of Middle Earth. Things hadn't gone well after RotK and Aragorn's children undertook a brutal campaign to reunite old Arthedaine, and after that was achieved, their children fought amongst themselves for control over it. Enter Haradgil(South Star-she's from Umbar)a messianic figure who claims she can bring peace to ME if she can gather 3 lost silmarills together. The party found one hidden in the ruins of Orthanc but the game broke up there. There were supposed to be voyages to Beleriand(not sunk but separated from ME in the first age) and Numenore(sunk but populated with merpeople). Never got to finish it. In the end Harradgil wanted the silmarills to bring back the light devouring spider being Ungoliant-if you know the Silmarrion you know the her fate was never revealed, just that she was chased off by the Vaylar.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Opyt wrote:Brive:
Not at all surprised to hear WBC being reprehensible sub-humans that put their opinions ahead of others, but such is the right to protest. It doesn't need to be legitimate in anyone's eyes (not even WBC) for them to do it. I wonder if there will be a protest of WBC protesting at the Robin Williams funeral. Sort of 'meta' that way. Where their "protest" pushes the WBC back to a mile or so. They're just trying to stay relevant after Phelps died.
Westboro is a tiny little church. They're just punching up at churches with larger congregations.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Skep tickle wrote:There are several students among the active posters at A+ forum, including Alex Conall, Grimalkin, & Kassiane. (Also ischemgeek though as a grad student in chemistry - I think that's what she is - she would presumably have funding).

How much would you all pay for me to write one blog post a week? I'm not kidding. I've got three sitting in draft at the moment, but can't justify enacting the labor.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Absolutely Matt.
They're tolerated mostly because they represent the bigot that everyone else points to and says "At least I'm not them." Kinda like what Mykeru said in his FTB video in regards to Laden. Even Nigerian-419 scam artists need someone to look down on.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I made the mistake of venturing over to Mother Jones magazine and I met a very rare creature indeed..

A libertarian who believes that:

1) taxation is theft
2)people should be charged and sentenced with 1st degree murder for killing a cow

I just...inside his mind is a fantasy

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

another lurker wrote:I made the mistake of venturing over to Mother Jones magazine and I met a very rare creature indeed..

1) taxation is theft
2)people should be charged and sentenced with 1st degree murder for killing a cow

So… if taxation is theft, how does the government that is making cow-murder laws and enforcing them operate? On a volunteer basis? Does the invisible hand strangle cow-murderers? Inquiring minds need to know!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Opyt wrote:Curses. Foiled again.
Don't fuck with the Steen Machine.

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

ShameMaggot wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Plato was a dundering blockhead as well. The Republic reads like it was written by an eleven year-old.
wat
John Stewart Mill, of his own free will, on half a pint of shandy was particularly ill,
Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whisky every day,
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle, Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed -
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

ShameMaggot wrote:
wat
John Stewart Mill, of his own free will, on half a pint of shandy was particularly ill,
Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whisky every day,
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle, Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed -
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

Post by Guest »

austin

Post by austin »

Jesus F Christ (to use a well known asshats own words) the pharyngulites are over 1000 comments on the latest Robin Williams non-apology post. Do these people have any life other than posting comments on Pharyngula. Don't they need to eat, sleep or even take a shit and you know try to make a living once in a while. Makes me wonder if all these people are actually in prison cells blogging continuously. I admit I go through blogging bouts sometimes, but I do have a lot of other things I like to and have to do as well. What the fuck is wrong with these people, when blogging continuously on an insignificant site that a minority (SJW atheists) of a minority (atheists) are even aware exists is their life.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

austin wrote:Jesus F Christ (to use a well known asshats own words) the pharyngulites are over 1000 comments on the latest Robin Williams non-apology post. Do these people have any life other than posting comments on Pharyngula. Don't they need to eat, sleep or even take a shit and you know try to make a living once in a while. Makes me wonder if all these people are actually in prison cells blogging continuously. I admit I go through blogging bouts sometimes, but I do have a lot of other things I like to and have to do as well. What the fuck is wrong with these people, when blogging continuously on an insignificant site that a minority (SJW atheists) of a minority (atheists) are even aware exists is their life.
Misogyny and racism never sleep, what's a keyboard warrior to do.

Really?

Post by Really? »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
austin wrote:Jesus F Christ (to use a well known asshats own words) the pharyngulites are over 1000 comments on the latest Robin Williams non-apology post. Do these people have any life other than posting comments on Pharyngula. Don't they need to eat, sleep or even take a shit and you know try to make a living once in a while. Makes me wonder if all these people are actually in prison cells blogging continuously. I admit I go through blogging bouts sometimes, but I do have a lot of other things I like to and have to do as well. What the fuck is wrong with these people, when blogging continuously on an insignificant site that a minority (SJW atheists) of a minority (atheists) are even aware exists is their life.
SJWs are like Batman, except they have no money, no abilities and would let all of the bad guys get away because of Bruce Wayne's white privilege. Think about it: the Penguin was born deformed, the Joker is neuroatypical.

austin

Post by austin »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Imagine the eulogy. Our great friend blogged continuously for days during the Shermer innuendo trial, never once going a half hour without posting a comment. He almost broke the Guinness World Record but was beat out by a co-blogger who posted one more comment when he inadvertently fell asleep on day 5. May we carry on his work to sling blogs at outrageous prominent atheist statements, he will always live in our hearts.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Just some finishing touches...

http://i.imgur.com/MoaovJ3.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Opyt wrote:Curses. Foiled again.
Don't fuck with the Steen Machine.
Unless you're Michelle Jenneke (or equivalent).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

TedDahlberg wrote:
another lurker wrote:I made the mistake of venturing over to Mother Jones magazine and I met a very rare creature indeed..

1) taxation is theft

So… if taxation is theft, how does the government that is making cow-murder laws and enforcing them operate? On a volunteer basis? Does the invisible hand strangle cow-murderers? Inquiring minds need to know!
I took the liberty of simpy cut and pasting your Q to him, it was too good to pass up.

He replied:
Again, there are multiple possible answers to this. The common one would be private arbitration firms. One that I'm particularly fond of is the idea that the only positive right that people inherently have is one to a trial by jury. So a court system set up somewhat similarly to that of Ancient Athens. Private citizens can bring charges against others and the accuser must show that the defendant has caused harm to another sentient being. To avoid the sycophants that plagued the Athenian system, any court fees incurred would be the burden of the losing party, and all punishments equal restitution and in the case of those shown to have a high likelihood of re-offending, the minimum necessary action to prevent them from doing so. Any costs incurred by the preventative measures are again, the burden of the convicted.
So, volunteer system I guess? I am sure that this will work well. And, from what I understand, Athens did in fact levy taxes, indirectly - property taxes, wine and flock taxes etc.

And what if the losing party *can't* pay? Will people just continue to volunteer for all of these various services for the fun of it?

I remember reading about a rural town whose inhabitants decided that they shouldn't have to pay taxes for the upkeep of a local road. Everyone voted on it, yay, free from taxation. Years go by, the road is in terrible disrepair, and since people don't want to use the road, local businesses along the route see a drop in sales. And everybody suffers. Now, they want to repair the road, but because they waited so long, it is now in such serious disrepair that it will cost 2-3x as much to fix!