Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
katamari Damassi

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by katamari Damassi »

BTW- Naked Stenvar looked hotter on my phone. Now that I see him on a larger screen, he has weird manscaping.

katamari Damassi

Git wrote:Just to annoy Tribble, The Bard's Tale is my favourite game.

[youtube]y8VubXKOdTo[/youtube]
LOL
Bard's Tale 2 was terrific. Three sucked.
Favorite all-timers: Deus Ex, Thief the Dark Project

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/59016 ... ow-a-woman

Why, Marvel? What about girls who grew up idolizing Thor? Now they'll swear off comics for good. GG, Marvel.
Well that's pretty fucking stupid, considering Thor is a mythological character who has always been male, and there are plenty of female Norse goddesses if you wanted to make a comic about female gods kicking ass.

Y'know, Valkyrie Profile, Wonder Woman, etc.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

acathode wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:
John D wrote: Pezzus Christ you guys. You sound like a bunch of angry old men yelling at the kids to stay off the grass. I know plenty of hard working young people. Just cause Lsuoma's niece is a lazy brat does mean a whole generation is shit. As I recall, most of the people I knew from my generation were pot smoking idiots. Sure, some of us were diligent and hard working.... but we had a giant pile of fucking losers as well.

Shit... change your fucking Depends already!
Come on, now, it's a pan-cultural tradition that's existed as long as civilization itself: stale old farts trading examples of confirmation bias about these damn kids today who are uniquely stupid and depraved, no, really, we mean it this time. There's a comforting predictability to it, like the changing of the seasons.
I take this as permission to post some horrible music:
[youtube]eFTLKWw542g[/youtube]

Honestly though, today's SJWs are just version 2.0 of yesterday marxists, feminists, hippies and other "counter culture" stuff that you could find at any uni campus in the 60's or 70's. The only real difference is that todays SJWs have access to internet - so it's easier to track their madness in real time. In turn, they also have a easier time to group around truly horribly stupid ideas - ideas that if the SJWs were constrained to meatspace would've had some real problem to get traction simply due to the limited amount of crazy in the physical vicinity of every individual SJW.
You are as correct as correct can be. In a way, I feel sorry for these dumb teens and 20-somethings living in Zuckerberg's Panopticon. I went through a lot of that radical environmentalist, wannabe anarchist shit myself, but luckily for me, I outgrew it without leaving a permanent digital record of every embarrassing callow thought I ever had out there for people to find twenty years later.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

James Caruthers wrote:

Why, Marvel? What about girls who grew up idolizing Thor? Now they'll swear off comics for good. GG, Marvel.
Well that's pretty fucking stupid, considering Thor is a mythological character who has always been male, and there are plenty of female Norse goddesses if you wanted to make a comic about female gods kicking ass.

It's a good thing no one worships Thor anymore (except a handful of Ásatrú and hipsters pretending to be Ásatrú), or the SJWs might seize on this and call racism.

What's that you say? The Norse are the whitest people on earth? Never mind then. You can't be racist to white people.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:I think you folks are overestimating the influence of parenting. Parenting has been demonstrated to have far less effect than learning from peers. Every generation always complains that the younger generation is lazy and unproductive. You're just looking at anecdotes and drawing conclusions from them.
Well I think you underestimate the influence of parenting. While it is certainly true that children are more likely to be influenced by peers when it comes to opinion and belief, their behaviours and mental states are more commonly shaped by those who raise them prior to them having peers. Abusive parents, both verbally and physically can often, very often, cause behavioural issues which manifest even before childen go to school and have peers to be influenced by. The same is true of parents who mollycoddle and spoil their children. Now this used to be uncommon and when children did have to deal with people who were smarter, more violent, stupider, faster, stonger, weaker and so on, they were influenced by that. Over the last 20 years or so however, it has become increasingly popular for parents to treat children as special little angels who can never put a foot wrong. This has led to a situation where in some places (and certainly in state schools I had the misfortune to visit) where the staff have been complicit in pandering to the parents wishes. Football without scores, where everyone gets to win. No wrong answers and education which is paced at the lowest common denominator. So if all the children think they are winners and their schools treat them all as winners, then what is left is a group of children who think they can do no wrong, reinforced by each other and by the school system and their parents. It also makes them all utterly unremarkable because I have even witnessed first hand, parents complaining about their kids being "humiliated" and "traumatised" by not doing as well in examinations and both the children and parents were convinced they would. Who gets the blame? Teachers.

I grant you that every generation complains about the youth. I however am not. I am complaining that we are figuratively kneecapping children and giving others stilts to appease their emotions and to create some weird pretence that everyone can do everything they want, which means they have a very rude awakening when they finally leave that bubble. At that point, not having the tools to deal with reality, they can do nothing else but blame reality for their failings, because they have never been taught or experienced otherwise. Their unrealistic expectations have been foisted upon them which in turn can lead to stress, depression and other ailments as they find themselves unable to cope. Nor do I think this is an epidemic, rather it is an issue for parts of a specific ecomomic group.

Also, the west was riding a manufactured economic boom from about 1996 to 2008, it's not reasonable to assume that the current generation are disgruntled because of economic poverty but rather that they reaped the benefits of that fictitious boom and are now having to face a situation where they are no longer spoiled as adults as they were as children. Also Generation X grew up in the 70's and 80's which was a period of economic boom and busts every 5 or so years.
ROBOKiTTY wrote: The 21st century is also a time of unprecedented information overload. Not just in the casual sense in which one gets bombarded with distractions like social media and digital data, but also about the sheer amount of stuff anyone is expected to know. For that, our modern education system is terribly outdated, while the better-prepared skilled trades remain stigmatized. There is only so much time in the world, so is it any wonder that many people collapse from stress? Few with depression, anxiety, or self-esteem issues are lazy people making it up to win brownie points.
That I agree with.

acathode

Post by acathode »

katamari Damassi wrote:My needs are minimal, surfing, torrents, word processing, possibly some gaming now that you've intrigued me with mods. Oh, and a lit keyboard is a must.
If you remove "some gaming", pretty much every consumer computer on the market will meet your requirements, hell a decent smartphone pretty much meet those requirements...

In other words - what really decides what you should buy is just exactly what "some gaming" entails. Do you want to play new games? Any specific game/games (if so check their min and recomended system requirments)? What kind of games do you want to play (shiny fps? indie 2d platformers?)? Are the games you want to play compatible with Mac? Also, do you want a mobile laptop, or you want a stationary PC?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Gumby wrote:This morning (courtesy Aneris)
http://i.imgur.com/tXidel3.png

This afternoon:

"This is what quite a few people tried to tell me about Shermer. It’s what gets said and implied about various other sexually predatory Famous Thought-Leader Dudes."

Hey, there's a missing sentence!

:D
They have a keen sense of self-preservation, despite appearances at times. They'll gang up on Shermer like a bunch of jackals though individually they're even scared of him. Dawkins, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm not sure what his net worth is, but it's got to be in the tens of millions. He's got the resources to wage a war of attrition against them and is just ornery enough to do it.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming for my new trippy time-lapsed clouds & bubbles video. Needs full screen and the highest available resolution.

Link instead of embedded, so that you can change the resolution to a high one if you want. The embedded ones won't allow that.

acathode

Post by acathode »

James Caruthers wrote:

Well, if Marve's Thor had been just a anime-ish "this norse name sound cool, let's name our man chair it!" then meh.... but Marvel's Thor is supposed to be Thor, the actual æsir from the myths, and making him a woman just makes about as much sense as making Zeus a she. If you do that, the myths just doesn't make any sense - "What do you mean Thor disguised herself as a woman to fool a giant that she was marrying him? She's already a she!", and so on.

katamari Damassi

acathode wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:My needs are minimal, surfing, torrents, word processing, possibly some gaming now that you've intrigued me with mods. Oh, and a lit keyboard is a must.
If you remove "some gaming", pretty much every consumer computer on the market will meet your requirements, hell a decent smartphone pretty much meet those requirements...

In other words - what really decides what you should buy is just exactly what "some gaming" entails. Do you want to play new games? Any specific game/games (if so check their min and recomended system requirments)? What kind of games do you want to play (shiny fps? indie 2d platformers?)? Are the games you want to play compatible with Mac? Also, do you want a mobile laptop, or you want a stationary PC?
I haven't gamed on a PC in such a long time that I've forgotten what it's like, but console games I enjoy are the RPG types-Skyrim, Bioshock, Mass Effect. Whatever you'd classify games like the Arkham series. Puzzle type games like Portal 1 & 2. Strategy games like Civ. Don't do too many platformers or side scrolling type games.

windy

Post by windy »

acathode wrote:Ah, what a day - today the Swedish leftists/green party politician Mikael Trolin tried to explain why the term "house nigger" isn't racist, and why it's ok for Trolin to call right-wing politician, and immigrant, Hanif Bali a "house nigger"... Apparently, it's a term that's totes OK to use because Malcom X was the guy who invented it!
Either this Trolin guy is a moron or a calculating liar, he's making it sound as if Bali's main complaint was simply about the expression "house negro" (when it was actually that it's racist to expect non-whites to have a particular political view.)

I was gonna to go with "calculating liar" but then I saw this video where the poor bastard is trying to crash a local Green Party committee meeting, of all things. :bjarte:

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/har-utb ... i-haninge/
According to her, Michael Trolin has caused trouble in the Green Party in Haninge for several years, in order to gain power and money. -Mikael Trolin is a failed artist, a failed politician and a failed substitute teacher. He wants to have some type of livelihood. He wants to take over the Green Party in Haninge, because then he gets money and power, says Anna Ragnar. -He does not have an environmental policy agenda. He has served on the Environmental Committee for two years and attended 3 meetings out of 20. At two of the meetings he proposed that he should get money in order to make a song about Dalarö, she continues.
Dare to dream :cdc:

katamari Damassi

acathode wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

Well, if Marve's Thor had been just a anime-ish "this norse name sound cool, let's name our man chair it!" then meh.... but Marvel's Thor is supposed to be Thor, the actual æsir from the myths, and making him a woman just makes about as much sense as making Zeus a she. If you do that, the myths just doesn't make any sense - "What do you mean Thor disguised herself as a woman to fool a giant that she was marrying him? She's already a she!", and so on.
It gets weird because Marvel considers anyone worthy to wield the hammer to be Thor. I think Storm from the X-Men replaced him for a few issues back in the 80's. It's different from the movies where they eliminated Thor's comicbook alter ego Donald Blake, but in the comics Blake was a person who shared Thor's identity.
I haven't kept current so I don't know what happened to male Thor, but the stupid thing that will happen is that they'll end up bringing him back and then there will be two and female Thor will likely be given a new identity and all the feminist who's in Whoville will cry "boo hoo hoo". So yest it was an idiotic thing for Marvel to do.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

acathode wrote:Y'know, Valkyrie Profile, Wonder Woman, etc.
Well, if Marve's Thor had been just a anime-ish "this norse name sound cool, let's name our man chair it!" then meh.... but Marvel's Thor is supposed to be Thor, the actual æsir from the myths, and making him a woman just makes about as much sense as making Zeus a she. If you do that, the myths just doesn't make any sense - "What do you mean Thor disguised herself as a woman to fool a giant that she was marrying him? She's already a she!", and so on.[/quote]
The article states that this is a passing of power rather than a retcon. Plus she's not even the first woman to take up the role, just the first who'll be long-term.

I just can't bother to be upset by every little thing. If observing SJWs has taught me anything it's that being outraged all the time is poisonous.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Sunder wrote:
acathode wrote:Well, if Marve's Thor had been just a anime-ish "this norse name sound cool, let's name our man chair it!" then meh.... but Marvel's Thor is supposed to be Thor, the actual æsir from the myths, and making him a woman just makes about as much sense as making Zeus a she. If you do that, the myths just doesn't make any sense - "What do you mean Thor disguised herself as a woman to fool a giant that she was marrying him? She's already a she!", and so on.
The article states that this is a passing of power rather than a retcon. Plus she's not even the first woman to take up the role, just the first who'll be long-term.

I just can't bother to be upset by every little thing. If observing SJWs has taught me anything it's that being outraged all the time is poisonous.
Fote quail.

Richard Dworkins

The increasingly desperate attempts by both Marvel and D.C. to make their stale characters relevant is always funny to watch. How many reinventions, reboots, restarts of their whole continuity will it take before they realise the problem is the characters. They are utterly limited by their powers and costumes and thus every possible story that could be told about them has been done so about a dozen times to the extent that essentially the superhero market is little more than fan-fic.

It's a pity, there are some great properties there but they can't do anything novel with them because the main fanbase would (as they always do) complain and complain. So they have to stick to the same stories and the occasional controversy.

Superman was murdered in 1992 by Doomsday. Lest we forget.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Brive1987 wrote:As always. IARWWDI

Once again, Rebecca Watson proves to the world just how much of a waste of space she really is.

Israel and Palestine? Nope, I'm more worried about the BREASTPLATE on the new female Thor. Boob armor? Jesus wept.

didymos

Post by didymos »

James Caruthers wrote:

It's Marvel's Thor. At one time, they had a weird alien dude wielding the hammer:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2008 ... 616%29.png

Eventually, the real Thor will redeem himself and take up the role again. IOW, comic business as usual, settle down.

Southern

Post by Southern »

So, female Thor is all good and such, but today I pondered about the real question that worries the internet: Team Dog, or Team Cat? My household was firmly in the Team Dog territory, with 3 mutts (1 gift, 2 rescued from the street), but as of today, a friend offered a member of Team Cat to my brother, and long story short, I ended with an evil-looking kitteh under my roof.

Now, my 3 dogs are small dogs, but at least one of them killed a foolish trespassing street kitteh before, when nobody was looking. I'm supposing that, with time and patience, the dogs will get used to the cat and will not try to kill him when nobody's looking, so I'm keeping him safe and isolated from the dogs for now. Any tips of what I can do to assure that I don't end with a bloody mess on my floor? Or maybe there's no hope and I should sadly give the kitteh back to his owner, for his own sake?

acathode

Post by acathode »

Sunder wrote:The article states that this is a passing of power rather than a retcon. Plus she's not even the first woman to take up the role, just the first who'll be long-term.

Sorry, I was working under the assumption that the Thor movies were true to the comics, where Thor is an actual god, and it's not just any random guy who could use the hammer. Never been much into American comics save for some Judge Dredd, Sandman, some Disney, and a few other vertigo titles. Despite trying I just can't get into any the Marvel or DC superhero stuff. The comics I read and enjoyed has mainly been European stuff, like Tintin, Valérian et Laurelin, Spirou, Gaston, etc. (I guess you kinda get a strange taste in comics when you in your childhood live with a dad that has a burning comic interest and the house littered with comic magazines filled with authors like Edika, Crumb, Mœbius, Manara, Bourgeon, Gotlib, and so on...)

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:Ok Slymepit, I'm going to risk your well deserved disapprobation and ask for computer buying advice. I do this because I value your computer knowledge.
My needs are minimal, surfing, torrents, word processing, possibly some gaming now that you've intrigued me with mods. Oh, and a lit keyboard is a must.
Right now I'm using my 2007 Mac book which is incredibly beat up-the battery pretty much exploded and warped the frame so much that it wobbles on a solid surface-can only be used when plugged in. But hey it still works better than that Samsung does, or rather did.
There's a place near me that sells PC's with windows 7 and not the fakey classic shell Best Buy pushed on me, but I'm skittish about the OS.

Advice welcomed.
Windows 7 is a solid OS. When I have to do "real" windows stuff, it's my preferred OS.

katamari Damassi

Southern wrote:So, female Thor is all good and such, but today I pondered about the real question that worries the internet: Team Dog, or Team Cat? My household was firmly in the Team Dog territory, with 3 mutts (1 gift, 2 rescued from the street), but as of today, a friend offered a member of Team Cat to my brother, and long story short, I ended with an evil-looking kitteh under my roof.

Now, my 3 dogs are small dogs, but at least one of them killed a foolish trespassing street kitteh before, when nobody was looking. I'm supposing that, with time and patience, the dogs will get used to the cat and will not try to kill him when nobody's looking, so I'm keeping him safe and isolated from the dogs for now. Any tips of what I can do to assure that I don't end with a bloody mess on my floor? Or maybe there's no hope and I should sadly give the kitteh back to his owner, for his own sake?
Is it possible to keep them separated unless supervised for a few weeks? Kittens grow pretty quickly and if it's a small dog the cat should be able to defend itself soon unless it's been declawed. And with supervised meetings, the dog will eventually understand that he cat is family and off limits.
Seriously, never joke with the dog about going after the cat. A friend of mine was once taking care of a stray kitten that was driving him crazy with meowing and in the dog's presence he joked to me "I wish Murphy would get him." And the dog whom I had known as a friendly goofball, viciously attacked the kitten.

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

acathode wrote:Ah, what a day - today the Swedish leftists/green party politician Mikael Trolin tried to explain why the term "house nigger" isn't racist, and why it's ok for Trolin to call right-wing politician, and immigrant, Hanif Bali a "house nigger"... Apparently, it's a term that's totes OK to use because Malcom X was the guy who invented it!

Sadly, I think that this means I owe a ton of neo-nazis an apology - apparently when they were talking about Nyamko Sabuni (our first afro-american minister, and the best Minister of Equality we've ever had btw) as a "house nigger", when I called them "racists morons", it seems I was in the wrong! So, to any Swedish neo-nazi reading this - I'm sorry I called you racists!

... :angry-banghead:
I'm meeting some people this weekend that are more or less toting the entire SJW party line (and they didn't do that when I got to know them). This will be gold to throw in their faces.
Strange this. I got to know these people through a forum almost ten years ago. It's just like in the last six months they have really become SJW's. (You would barely know meeting them IRL until conversation touches upon racism, "cultural appropriation", abortion the whole nine months, patriarchy and similar).

BTW, huge thanks to Skep tickle for enacting the labour with the Ed Clint article/takedown.

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:

In the comics, Thor has been an alien and at one point, a frog. Women have, for short periods of time, wielded the hammer. Keep in mind that in the comics, it's the person being worthy of Mjolnir that makes them able to wield it. WHich is why the Hulk has never even been able to lift the thing.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:ROBOKiTTY may have this book in mind:

radically new view of childhood.

Yeah. Radical new view of cherry picking to sell books, perhaps....

Anyone who is a good (or even half-assed) parent quite well realizes that peers have an influence. But it's YOUR CORE (for good or ill) that passes to your child. And your core, good or bad, will even influence what peers you child has and how your child resists/accepts their failings while passing on their own positives/negatives.

Things your child will not learn from his peer-group, and are the the keys parents give their children (or fail to give) are: conversational skills, emotional self-control, empathy, perspective-taking, empathic concern for others, the ability to compromise and offer help, the ability to share, take turns, and follow rules.

Those are HARD things to teach your children. And if a parent doesn't have them, chances are the child will never get them. One of the big reasons that children from two-parent families do better -- you're doubling your chances of a parent having a particular skill to pass on.

Let's put it this way, if parents didn't matter very much and it was peer-group, logically, single parenting wouldn't be such a damn good predictor of emotional problems, educational problems, legal problems, drug abuse and other social/personal ills. Yet it is.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Southern wrote:So, female Thor is all good and such, but today I pondered about the real question that worries the internet: Team Dog, or Team Cat? My household was firmly in the Team Dog territory, with 3 mutts (1 gift, 2 rescued from the street), but as of today, a friend offered a member of Team Cat to my brother, and long story short, I ended with an evil-looking kitteh under my roof.

No personal experience, this is just an idea off the top of my head which can be FLOOSH dismissed per the Hitchens quote.

Do your dogs have a regular bed spot? Either their own little dog bed, or on yours? If so, get the cat to sleep on a t-shirt for a few days. Then introduce this t-shirt into your dogs' bed. They will learn to associate the cat's smell with peace and comfort.

Failing that, do you live next to the sea? Or a lake? A hemp sack and a couple of concrete blocks are pretty cheap.

katamari Damassi

acathode wrote:
Sunder wrote:The article states that this is a passing of power rather than a retcon. Plus she's not even the first woman to take up the role, just the first who'll be long-term.

Sorry, I was working under the assumption that the Thor movies were true to the comics, where Thor is an actual god, and it's not just any random guy who could use the hammer. Never been much into American comics save for some Judge Dredd, Sandman, some Disney, and a few other vertigo titles. Despite trying I just can't get into any the Marvel or DC superhero stuff. The comics I read and enjoyed has mainly been European stuff, like Tintin, Valérian et Laurelin, Spirou, Gaston, etc. (I guess you kinda get a strange taste in comics when you in your childhood live with a dad that has a burning comic interest and the house littered with comic magazines filled with authors like Edika, Crumb, Mœbius, Manara, Bourgeon, Gotlib, and so on...)
I think Dredd and Sandman are British comics even if published y US companies, so yes0 , you're not into American comics.

dogen

Post by dogen »

katamari Damassi wrote:
acathode wrote:

I think Dredd and Sandman are British comics even if published y US companies, so yes0 , you're not into American comics.
Dredd is/was British, but appeared in 2000AD, not his own comic. Lots of other great stuff in 2000AD -- Slaine, Halo Jones, Rogue Trooper, Dr & Quinch, Strontium Dog (Strontum Dog in the USA), Zenith, etc etc...

dogen

Post by dogen »

dogen wrote: Dredd is/was British, but appeared in 2000AD, not his own comic. Lots of other great stuff in 2000AD -- Slaine, Halo Jones, Rogue Trooper, Dr & Quinch, Strontium Dog (Strontum Dog in the USA), Zenith, etc etc...
In fact, see for yourselves! A fine Dr & Quinch story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/2000ad ... ch01.shtml

James Caruthers

welch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

In the comics, Thor has been an alien and at one point, a frog. Women have, for short periods of time, wielded the hammer. Keep in mind that in the comics, it's the person being worthy of Mjolnir that makes them able to wield it. WHich is why the Hulk has never even been able to lift the thing.
I guess it doesn't really matter either way, considering that no amount of SJW appeasement is going to make the comics magically good.

I find it funny, however, that attempts to be egalitarian and include more female characters involve supplanting the existing characters, rather than drawing upon the vast store of Norse lore available to come up with some sweet new characters. Norse mythology was not exactly a patriarchy-fest. There were plenty of "strung femul karactrs." Loki would make a better female choice than Thor anyway.

Much like with video games, SJWs push for female-first comics because they think that will make comics better. They don't realize that the only thing that can make comics better is better writing and superior storylines. I'd be happy to delve into all the reasons most comics suck, but this thread is probably nerdcore enough at the moment.

TL:DR Valkyrie Profile is a good game because it's fun to play and has a poignant personal story about love, loss, the cruelty of life and the uncaring nature of the gods. It's a big story, but the core is a personal tale between two or three people.

Hint hint, comics, hint hint.

John D

Post by John D »

Oh yeah.... you'all must watch this. Al strikes again.
[youtube]8Gv0H-vPoDc[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Rogue Trooper sure kicks a lot of ass for such an old comic book.

Southern

Post by Southern »

katamari Damassi wrote: Is it possible to keep them separated unless supervised for a few weeks? Kittens grow pretty quickly and if it's a small dog the cat should be able to defend itself soon unless it's been declawed. And with supervised meetings, the dog will eventually understand that he cat is family and off limits.
Seriously, never joke with the dog about going after the cat. A friend of mine was once taking care of a stray kitten that was driving him crazy with meowing and in the dog's presence he joked to me "I wish Murphy would get him." And the dog whom I had known as a friendly goofball, viciously attacked the kitten.
I think it's possible. I'll do that.
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:No personal experience, this is just an idea off the top of my head which can be FLOOSH dismissed per the Hitchens quote.

Do your dogs have a regular bed spot? Either their own little dog bed, or on yours? If so, get the cat to sleep on a t-shirt for a few days. Then introduce this t-shirt into your dogs' bed. They will learn to associate the cat's smell with peace and comfort.

Failing that, do you live next to the sea? Or a lake? A hemp sack and a couple of concrete blocks are pretty cheap.
That sounds a good idea. Worth a try, anyway.

didymos

Post by didymos »

John D wrote:Oh yeah.... you'all must watch this. Al strikes again.
OMG SO CLASSIST AND ABLEIST. I LITERALLY CANNOT EVEN!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Richard Dworkins wrote:The increasingly desperate attempts by both Marvel and D.C. to make their stale characters relevant is always funny to watch. How many reinventions, reboots, restarts of their whole continuity will it take before they realise the problem is the characters. They are utterly limited by their powers and costumes and thus every possible story that could be told about them has been done so about a dozen times to the extent that essentially the superhero market is little more than fan-fic.
And the reason they've got these incredibly stale rosters is ironically that comic writers have stopped letting the big studios bend them over and assume ownership of anything they create.

No writer is going to design a great new character and then just let Marvel or DC have it. They fell for that shit for decades and it's how those companies ended up with the immense rosters they have today.

But those days are over.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

By the way Hemant has a post up about that SkepticInk book.

Here's a cheeky little comment that might slide under some peoples' radar:
SmilodonsRetreat wrote:I'll add that, as far as I know, these aren't rehashed blog posts. I believe that they are all original pieces.
Ed Clint actually replied to correct him that his entry was the only one partly based on a blog entry, but that it was significantly fleshed out.

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

OK, wait....what is going on?

acathode

Post by acathode »

spiffigt wrote:Strange this. I got to know these people through a forum almost ten years ago. It's just like in the last six months they have really become SJW's. (You would barely know meeting them IRL until conversation touches upon racism, "cultural appropriation", abortion the whole nine months, patriarchy and similar).
As I wrote a week or so ago, Sweden is being polarized, very much due to our media trying to pretty much force their readers to adapt a very specific set certain opinions. As a result we get people moving to the extremes - we see people "buying it" and moving further to the leftists/SJW camp, and we see people having a counter reaction and instead choosing to ditch tradition media almost altogether and instead move the the "anti-PC" camp.

I read an article about leftist extremist violence and how the media deals with it, in the right-leaning magazine Neo a few days ago that, almost accidentally, describes very much of the issue that is plaguing Swedish media - This is a small part of the article:
Today there is growing pressure on journalists to take a stand. But there is world of difference in taking a stand for basic democratic rights, that Sweden Democrats have right to assembly and expression, and to actively work against political parties that arguably stands for bad values. Both Anna-Lena Lodenius and Janne Josefsson tells me that they have been called "traitors" and "betrayers". Whoever comes with such an accusation says that journalists should not be neutral observers, but that they should convey a predetermined worldview. Only with such a logic, it becomes possible to call journalists for deserters and traitors when carrying out their actual duty. Lodenius believes that right now there is a great willingness to crank up and exaggerate trends in society to warrant the autonomous leftist talk about their violence as self-defense.

- The truth is regarded as counterproductive information, she says.

It is also something that the anonymous journalist who works on the big newsroom experience.

- You are not allowed to just be a journalist, you are also expected to be an activist.
I think it should be pretty obvious to anyone that when the expectation is that journalists should be political activists (and let's be clear here, only for the left) - that leads to a fucked up media, and in extension, democracy... and I realize that this sounds quite a bit nutty and conspiratorial, but Swedish media is in a really, really bad shape ATM.

When Sweden's most serious newspaper DN, which kinda like to think of themselves as Sweden's version of NY Times, can write about how a small town, Sandviken, with a total population of around 37000, earn more than $73.000.000 annually from their immigrants, and get away with it without ever having to correct themselves when it turns out that the report that this claim came from was so faulty it could only serve as toilet paper... and even publicly defend their decision to not correct their error with how "you always get strong opinions when you report about immigration".
You can only describe this shit as propaganda, because it's no longer just innocent mistakes, but conscious attempts at misleading the public - that part about "The truth is regarded as counterproductive information" sounds hyperbolic at first, but the more of this you see the more it seem to be just the plain truth. And I say all of this as someone who's in general very pro-immigration!

(Sorry for the rant/wall of text for everyone who don't give a shit about local Swedish politics - I just get to worked up when reading/writing about this)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

didymos wrote:
It's a funny kind of bully who will abuse you for offering an apology and then call you the abuser.

Don't apologize to SJWs. Ever. Even if you're genuinely sorry.

I actually don't like saying that. I hate telling people to be less empathetic. But it's completely wasted on these people. They will take your sincere regrets and bash your skull in with them. So just don't do it.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

katamari Damassi wrote:Ok Slymepit, I'm going to risk your well deserved disapprobation and ask for computer buying advice. I do this because I value your computer knowledge.
My needs are minimal, surfing, torrents, word processing, possibly some gaming now that you've intrigued me with mods. Oh, and a lit keyboard is a must.
Right now I'm using my 2007 Mac book which is incredibly beat up-the battery pretty much exploded and warped the frame so much that it wobbles on a solid surface-can only be used when plugged in. But hey it still works better than that Samsung does, or rather did.
There's a place near me that sells PC's with windows 7 and not the fakey classic shell Best Buy pushed on me, but I'm skittish about the OS.

Advice welcomed.
1. General laptops are poor game machines and usually have very, very poor graphics that can't handle 3D games. You'll be playing minesweeper and games from the 1990s on one of them.
1a. Most gaming-designed laptops are second-rate with high price tags, but they'll run games at 'ok' levels.

2 Virtually all MOBO integrated graphics (IG) are crap. Do not buy.

3. Understand the power and life-expectancy of your video card. If it's not on this chart (no lower than a Raedeon 7850 which runs at 3700+ passmarks) it's shit. Not because it's bad and won't run newer games, but because it's probably got no future and you're looking at DX version problems and a forced replacement way too soon. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

4. Your video card must be DX11 (at a minimum) compatible and DX12 compatible is what you want for future proofing your card.

5. Without getting too far into the processor battles, i7s are better than i5s in some situations, while only 'equal' in others and, in rare instances, lag a tiny bit behind. It's really a lot of explaining to the when and why. But the benchmarks don't lie. Liars lie because they get invested in BS. But the benchmarks don't.

6. GPU and CPU are both important as either, depending on the game genre, may be the primary processing bottleneck. Anyone who jumps on one bandwagon over the other as 'the answer' maybe too inflexible or narrow in their gaming range to be completely trusted. Some games, like Crysis, tax the hell out of the GPU but do little with the CPU. MMOs, OTOH, are really bottle-necked by CPU.

7. Buy a game computer from a game computer maker. This is my computer maker: http://www.digitalstormonline.com Dell and other 'big brands' re-package crappy workplace computers as 'game computers' to hose those who don't know how to buy a game computer. I'm sure England has its equivalents.

8. If you go to this link: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt-ii.asp and scroll to the bottom, and go to 'best' that is similar to my computer. It's newer and sexier. I upgraded my Power Supply to 1200 watts. I have less memory (my computer is 4-and-a-half years old and 16GB wasn't really done back then.) I have better/faster storage with 2 - 1TB HDDs at 10,000RPM in a RAID0 configuration. I do NOT have an SSD. That one has a much better video card (mine is an R9 270X which is an upgrade I installed myself). My CPU is 3.8GHz, which is still quite respectable, though no longer top-end (that processor is 3.9GHz

A computer like that will last years and years before upgrades are necessary. This can make its lifetime total cost of ownership better than going a cheaper route and having to replace/upgrade it every couple of years. I've only upgraded my video since I bought it, and that was because it failed after four years of use I had no choice.

9. I like AMD for GPUs (less power, tend to run cooler, tend be better in the performance per dollar equation) but stick with Intel CPUs. You can't, however, go wrong with NVIDIA as a GPU as they have other advantages. NVIDIA tends to also have the 'fastest' cards out there, but those are really expensive.

10. Did I mention you don't buy a computer with integrated graphics? Or a computer that has a card on it worse than a Raedeon 7850?

11. Oh yeah, KNOW YOUR VIDEO CARDS. Really. I'm not kidding. I've read more 'boo hoo I can't play this game' posts than I can shake a stick at because someone bought a computer with integrated graphics or some feature-cut/obsolete discount card. They suck. They suck. They suck. My rule of thumb is a decent video card should (retail) cost no less than $150 US and you'll get two years of good performance from it, more if you're lucky.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

didymos wrote:OK, wait....what is going on?
Same thing as with Natalie...just wants Thor to get the boobs and keep the man parts.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

didymos wrote:
OMG SO CLASSIST AND ABLEIST. I LITERALLY CANNOT EVEN!
Marvelous. Particularly nice approach to take to parody a song that so many people got outraged over.

Sorry: ...a song over which so many people became outraged.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Sunder wrote:
didymos wrote:
It's a funny kind of bully who will abuse you for offering an apology and then call you the abuser.

I actually don't like saying that. I hate telling people to be less empathetic. But it's completely wasted on these people. They will take your sincere regrets and bash your skull in with them. So just don't do it.
Well, if you need to be oppressed, everything must be oppression. You are absolutely right, I cannot think of a single time somebody has apologized to a SJW and it worked out well.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:
I guess it doesn't really matter either way, considering that no amount of SJW appeasement is going to make the comics magically good.

I find it funny, however, that attempts to be egalitarian and include more female characters involve supplanting the existing characters, rather than drawing upon the vast store of Norse lore available to come up with some sweet new characters. Norse mythology was not exactly a patriarchy-fest. There were plenty of "strung femul karactrs." Loki would make a better female choice than Thor anyway.

Much like with video games, SJWs push for female-first comics because they think that will make comics better. They don't realize that the only thing that can make comics better is better writing and superior storylines. I'd be happy to delve into all the reasons most comics suck, but this thread is probably nerdcore enough at the moment.

TL:DR Valkyrie Profile is a good game because it's fun to play and has a poignant personal story about love, loss, the cruelty of life and the uncaring nature of the gods. It's a big story, but the core is a personal tale between two or three people.

Hint hint, comics, hint hint.[/quote]

They did that already.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Sunder wrote:
didymos wrote:

Funny thing: the "content mine" on there is because someone retweeted her via the copy/paste "<comment> RT <original tweet>" method that people use constantly, and she threw a shit fit about people stealing and exploiting her tweets. Then she locked her account down for a few days and, presumably, sulked like a little kid.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

acathode wrote:
spiffigt wrote:Strange this. I got to know these people through a forum almost ten years ago. It's just like in the last six months they have really become SJW's. (You would barely know meeting them IRL until conversation touches upon racism, "cultural appropriation", abortion the whole nine months, patriarchy and similar).
As I wrote a week or so ago, Sweden is being polarized, very much due to our media trying to pretty much force their readers to adapt a very specific set certain opinions. As a result we get people moving to the extremes - we see people "buying it" and moving further to the leftists/SJW camp, and we see people having a counter reaction and instead choosing to ditch tradition media almost altogether and instead move the the "anti-PC" camp.

<snip interesting quote & stuff around it>

I think it should be pretty obvious to anyone that when the expectation is that journalists should be political activists (and let's be clear here, only for the left) - that leads to a fucked up media, and in extension, democracy... and I realize that this sounds quite a bit nutty and conspiratorial, but Swedish media is in a really, really bad shape ATM.

When Sweden's most serious newspaper DN, which kinda like to think of themselves as Sweden's version of NY Times, can write about how a small town, Sandviken, with a total population of around 37000, earn more than $73.000.000 annually from their immigrants, and get away with it without ever having to correct themselves when it turns out that the report that this claim came from was so faulty it could only serve as toilet paper... and even publicly defend their decision to not correct their error with how "you always get strong opinions when you report about immigration".
You can only describe this shit as propaganda, because it's no longer just innocent mistakes, but conscious attempts at misleading the public - that part about "The truth is regarded as counterproductive information" sounds hyperbolic at first, but the more of this you see the more it seem to be just the plain truth. And I say all of this as someone who's in general very pro-immigration!

(Sorry for the rant/wall of text for everyone who don't give a shit about local Swedish politics - I just get to worked up when reading/writing about this)
I find the updates & commentary on crazy stuff that's going on in Sweden to be quite interesting - serves as a cautionary tale about the authoritarian left getting too much power.

Too bad there isn't another thread somewhere at the 'Pit for the videogame discussions, though. :whistle:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

"Lady" Thor?

Can we organize a gofundme campaign to buy Natalie a fedora? Clarence, have you got one spare?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

James Caruthers wrote:

However the AEsir did dress Thor up as a passable bride instead of Freyja, for a wedding with one of the giants (Thrym) (in order to recover Mjolnir).

dogen

Post by dogen »

Tribble wrote:

Advice welcomed.
1. General laptops are poor game machines and usually have very, very poor graphics that can't handle 3D games. You'll be playing minesweeper and games from the 1990s on one of them.
1a. Most gaming-designed laptops are second-rate with high price tags, but they'll run games at 'ok' levels.

2 Virtually all MOBO integrated graphics (IG) are crap. Do not buy.

3. Understand the power and life-expectancy of your video card. If it's not on this chart (no lower than a Raedeon 7850 which runs at 3700+ passmarks) it's shit. Not because it's bad and won't run newer games, but because it's probably got no future and you're looking at DX version problems and a forced replacement way too soon. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

4. Your video card must be DX11 (at a minimum) compatible and DX12 compatible is what you want for future proofing your card.

5. Without getting too far into the processor battles, i7s are better than i5s in some situations, while only 'equal' in others and, in rare instances, lag a tiny bit behind. It's really a lot of explaining to the when and why. But the benchmarks don't lie. Liars lie because they get invested in BS. But the benchmarks don't.

6. GPU and CPU are both important as either, depending on the game genre, may be the primary processing bottleneck. Anyone who jumps on one bandwagon over the other as 'the answer' maybe too inflexible or narrow in their gaming range to be completely trusted. Some games, like Crysis, tax the hell out of the GPU but do little with the CPU. MMOs, OTOH, are really bottle-necked by CPU.

7. Buy a game computer from a game computer maker. This is my computer maker: http://www.digitalstormonline.com Dell and other 'big brands' re-package crappy workplace computers as 'game computers' to hose those who don't know how to buy a game computer. I'm sure England has its equivalents.

8. If you go to this link: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt-ii.asp and scroll to the bottom, and go to 'best' that is similar to my computer. It's newer and sexier. I upgraded my Power Supply to 1200 watts. I have less memory (my computer is 4-and-a-half years old and 16GB wasn't really done back then.) I have better/faster storage with 2 - 1TB HDDs at 10,000RPM in a RAID0 configuration. I do NOT have an SSD. That one has a much better video card (mine is an R9 270X which is an upgrade I installed myself). My CPU is 3.8GHz, which is still quite respectable, though no longer top-end (that processor is 3.9GHz

A computer like that will last years and years before upgrades are necessary. This can make its lifetime total cost of ownership better than going a cheaper route and having to replace/upgrade it every couple of years. I've only upgraded my video since I bought it, and that was because it failed after four years of use I had no choice.

9. I like AMD for GPUs (less power, tend to run cooler, tend be better in the performance per dollar equation) but stick with Intel CPUs. You can't, however, go wrong with NVIDIA as a GPU as they have other advantages. NVIDIA tends to also have the 'fastest' cards out there, but those are really expensive.

10. Did I mention you don't buy a computer with integrated graphics? Or a computer that has a card on it worse than a Raedeon 7850?

11. Oh yeah, KNOW YOUR VIDEO CARDS. Really. I'm not kidding. I've read more 'boo hoo I can't play this game' posts than I can shake a stick at because someone bought a computer with integrated graphics or some feature-cut/obsolete discount card. They suck. They suck. They suck. My rule of thumb is a decent video card should (retail) cost no less than $150 US and you'll get two years of good performance from it, more if you're lucky.
Mostly good advice for someone wanting to buy a dedicated gaming rig. But your advice on integrated graphics is a bit out of date. I've had no problems playing recentish games (Portal, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, etc) on Intel 4000/5000 chipsets (the former in an Intel NUC -- very nice little back-of-the-monitor box; the latter, a Macbook Air) -- not at the highest quality, or with AA and/or aniso turned way up, but very playable nevertheless. And, I've enjoyed seeing a measurable drop in my monthly electricity usage since I moved my gaming rig back to my visualization lab at work (where it belongs). I'd say the drop in energy usage, combined with my home office no longer being unpleasantly hot, is well worth the small reduction in GFX quality.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Git wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Late, but as regards the Watson/Evo Psych-Excellent as always Skep Tickle, I have no idea where you find the spoons. Also on your reporting from TAM. I do wonder if the tide is beginning to turn.
Our Skep has got more spoons than Mr. Runcible, the famous spoon expert, when enjoying an English Tea tasting ceremony with traditional crockery and simultaneously judging a spoon polishing contest and also verifying a spoon bending trick by Uri Geller at the same time as spooning with his fiancee, a Miss Spooner behind the local Spoon-U-Like.
[youtube]T0_zzCLLRvE[/youtube]
LOL. Wish I could do that. It's actually more like this:

[youtube]k81AwpkpolU[/youtube]

Glad folks enjoyed the snippets from Clint's chapter.

didymos

Post by didymos »

PZ has jumped on the anti-Feynman bandwagon:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... roes-ever/

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
"Lady" Thor?

Can we organize a gofundme campaign to buy Natalie a fedora? Clarence, have you got one spare?
What what what what? Isn't it Thor's right to determine how to present, gender-wise???

And, yeah, I though "Lady ____" was a sign of the patriarchy.

Southern

Post by Southern »

[youtube]kVqMnbg4Ni0[/youtube]

It's good to have you back, Al. May your album be as fun and entertaining as ever, even if there are lots of people ready to jump on "OMG is not coll as it was this doesn't compare to the previous albums Al sucks now". We all know they're out there.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

didymos wrote:PZ has jumped on the anti-Feynman bandwagon:

Bingo.

Southern

Post by Southern »

No, no, PZ. The right saying is:

[youtube]efJlhwRmRfw[/youtube]

You clown.

Richard Dworkins

Sunder wrote:

It can't be stated enough. Never apologise, or give them an inch, it feeds their sanctimony. I do agree it seems severe but as you point out they want nothing less than total capitulation.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

But of course. They all have to jump on the things they notice their pals jumping on, so as to maintain SJW cred. Pavlov would be proud.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

That comment didn't last long:
Ikan Bakar

15 July 2014 at 8:26 pm (UTC -5)

@ Tony! The Queer Shoop,
Ogvorbis:
Please don’t go.
Thank you very much. Now I have that stupid song in my head for the rest of the day.

But that’s not the reason I want to share this thread with such illustrious people as Nerd of Redhead and … who else is illustrious here? I forgot.

It’s fascinating to see how O g r a p i s t’s flounce is on the whole readily accepted by the Horde now that it’s another Horde member who triggered it, even though s/he/it was basically repeating the Slymepit meme about your dear departed Oggie. I bet you were all sick of the guy, but didn’t dare to speak out because he had been accepted as ‘one of us’ by the likes of Cainaji and perma-hysterical Tony, not to mention the sedating influence of the toe-curling purple prose by Crip Dyke that Oggie inspired (Did you follow a creative writing course, Crip? If so, you should ask your money back.)

The pounce-hugs were never as readily offered as when Oggie came begging for them with one of his ‘recovered memories’ that always happened to be right on topic. Did it never occur to you lot that Oggie was about as truthful as the Baron von Münchhausen? You should call yourself the Herd, not the Horde, because this is tribal herd mentally at its finest.

Don’t go, please don’t go. Fuck that song.

By the way, P e e z u s, how is your research in developmental evolutionary biology coming along? Are those zebra fish you bought in your local pet shop already breeding happily in your ‘lab’? I can’t wait to see your Nature paper about your exciting discoveries.

It’s a good thing that the World Humanist Congress has invited you to be their token scientist and threw a free ticket to Oxford your way. I noticed that you are on a panel discussing the important topic Drowning in noise: how accommodating nonsense poisons our discourse. You are indisputably an expert on this topic, seeing how much poisonous nonsense you accommodate in your comments sections, and I will happily assume that you are going to teach all those censorial Brits a lesson or two about Freeze Peach, about unmoderated threads that are heavily moderated, and on how to convince yourself that banning dissenting voices when you are a Rage Blogger-cum-Social Justice Warrior is not censorship. Maybe you can also explain your audience something about your country’s libel laws that allow fine folks like you to accuse others of being serial rapists based on hearsay and to do so with impunity. That’ll teach those fucking hypocrites from across the Big Pond!

And Tony, please don’t cry. Oggie will be back, like a bad penny. Mark my words.

Hermann Steinpilz

katamari Damassi

Sunder wrote:
didymos wrote:

Having worked in jobs having to deal with people(either clients or patients)I've learned to never apologize to anyone for anything except in extreme circumstances. Too many people(not just SJW's)hear an apology and think it's permission to unload on you, or try to exact concessions from you. What I do when a patient has been seriously inconvenienced in some way(even if it's my fault)is to try and pre-empt a complaint by saying something like: "Thanks for being patient while we work through this problem. I appreciate your understanding." It acknowledges their frustration which is usually enough to pacify them. Even if you're wrong about something, you can admit you're wrong and they're right without apologizing for it. I have no problem doing that, but I don't say "I'm sorry" if I can help it. It causes more problems than it solves.