Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Clarence

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Clarence »

About Dawkins choice of Einstein:
It just occurred to me. Wouldn't any aliens advanced enough to receive our "Cosmic Tombstone" (provided it didn't somehow impact a planet and survive but merely soared through space for Aeons) already know Relativity theory?
My understanding of astrophysics is totally basic and based on a hobbyist level of interest, but even so I believe the calculations used for orbits and such are almost all "classical" - in short, one could send a rocket to the moon based solely on "classical" physical calculations. Correct? However, I know nothing of rocket building, advanced avionics, etc, so maybe more 'modern' physics is used at some point.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Pitchguest wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Gotta say, I find her fucking sexayyyy
Ahh, marital bliss!
*Imagines the white picket fence, the 2 beautiful kids (don't worry, Suey , baby, that Eucli was just a FLING! I wanna REAL woman!), the many funny evenings discussing serious "SJW" topics, the wonderful Asian cooking...shit, wonder how she would look in a traditional chinese dress...*
This is why people think you're weird, Clarence.
I *AM* weird. But even *I* know she's crazy as a cuckoo clock and twice as entitled as King Joffrey. Alas, she is cute and it is a shame. Of course the real irony there is she very much IS 'objectified' by me for her looks. And the whole thing is weirdly humerus to me.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

AndrewV69 wrote:@Phil,

Ramadan started today. If you want revenge try grilling some food where they can smell it an hour before sunset.

(nearly sunset here and if my neighbour stared grilling shrimp on his barbie right now I would probably go cray cray)
Now I'm a bit confused, are you a practicing muslim?

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I like Blurred Lines, and don't think it is rapey. Partly because one can see the girls smiling and playing along in the video, and partly because of the lyrics. Nonetheless, I find this parody hilarious, except for the very end.

[youtube]J3twwafch4g[/youtube]

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

James Caruthers wrote: Now, is that a more healthy message for fat people, or is THIS the superior message to send:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/84cd66f5df09 ... o1_500.png
This is my favourite: Aeronautical Design Made Simple by Homer J Simpson. If only this had been explained to the Wright brothers or, better yet, to Isaac de Rivaz.

Seriously, when you're in deny about the laws of physics, your head is fucked!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

That should have been humorous.
Seriously, I think Lsouma doesn't let us have an 'edit' button because he likes to see and laugh at the mistakes.
Bastard :P

welch

Post by welch »

didymos wrote: Go. Do. Something. Else.
Also:

Stop. Being. Such. A. Dick.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

James Caruthers wrote: Now, is that a more healthy message for fat people, or is THIS the superior message to send:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/84cd66f5df09 ... o1_500.png
This is my favourite: Aeronautical Design Made Simple by Homer J Simpson. If only this had been explained to the Wright brothers or, better yet, to Isaac de Rivaz.

Seriously, when you're in deny about the laws of physics, your head is fucked!

In denial, dammit denial. Curse you Fascist Tit!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Clarence wrote:About Dawkins choice of Einstein:
It just occurred to me. Wouldn't any aliens advanced enough to receive our "Cosmic Tombstone" (provided it didn't somehow impact a planet and survive but merely soared through space for Aeons) already know Relativity theory?
My understanding of astrophysics is totally basic and based on a hobbyist level of interest, but even so I believe the calculations used for orbits and such are almost all "classical" - in short, one could send a rocket to the moon based solely on "classical" physical calculations. Correct? However, I know nothing of rocket building, advanced avionics, etc, so maybe more 'modern' physics is used at some point.
It's almost unimaginable that spacefaring aliens would not understand relativity, along with quantum mechanics and probably a boatload of stuff beyond that. You might make it into orbit and perhaps even other planets using only 'classical' Newtonian mechanics; however any advanced navigation system, for instance, like GPS or the interplanetary version of GPS would not work without understanding relativity.

Unlike Nazis, aliens would not make it into space without advanced physics.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Sulman wrote:It feels like common sense is winning, doesn't it? Every month that goes by the SJ brigade poison themselves a little more.
Well, yes, in a way. In some high-profile communities, the "Skeptical" community and the "science-fiction" community, there has been a large amount of pushback with varying degrees of success but the people pushing back seem to have or be gaining the upper hand.
The jury is still out on how much damage the SJW's will do in the "videogaming" community as they seem to have control over all the important and relevant channels of information in that community. Anita Sarkeesian, fraud though she is, is taken seriously by most of the 'important' people at game companies and gaming mags.
In the larger culture, the SJW mindset seems to dominate most academia, at least in the USA. It also has a huge footprint in all levels of state and national governments, including high-profile identitarians within most of Obama's departments.
It also has a large footprint in most online - and too an extent offline-press.
And its large presence means it is now responsible for some legal and social policies in US society. Which should be scary when one thinks about it.

Still, you slimey slimers have done your part in fighting the good fight, even those of you mostly in it for the LOLS.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

welch wrote:
didymos wrote: Go. Do. Something. Else.
Also:

Stop. Being. Such. A. Dick.
Xe would if xe could but there are some things identity politics cannot change.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Hunt wrote:
Clarence wrote:About Dawkins choice of Einstein:
It's almost unimaginable that spacefaring aliens would not understand relativity, along with quantum mechanics and probably a boatload of stuff beyond that. You might make it into orbit and perhaps even other planets using only 'classical' Newtonian mechanics; however any advanced navigation system, for instance, like GPS or the interplanetary version of GPS would not work without understanding relativity.

Unlike Nazis, aliens would not make it into space without advanced physics.
Well, yes. GPS, I should have thought of that! I was thinking of the orbit of Mercury(which was one of the things that proved Relativity), but I supposed that would depend on having a planet in your alien solar system that was close enough to your sun that it messed up the orbit in a significant way. You are probably right. And quantum mechanics would seem less important for space applications so maybe he should have chosen Bohr or Schroedinger over Einstein. I mean, if you want to drop possibly new knowledge off to any alien recoverers.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

James Caruthers wrote:Any list of genius work to be sent into space would be incomplete without Machiavelli, Caesar, "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones," Dumas' "Count of Monte Cristo" and H.P. Lovecraft.
And Derek & Clive:

[youtube]k_lj1ikP5U8[/youtube]

didymos

Post by didymos »

Hunt wrote: You might make it into orbit and perhaps even other planets using only 'classical' Newtonian mechanics;
There's no "might" about it. We've done that. Relativity was not necessary for the moon landings. Newtonian mechanics was precise enough. Same for the stuff we've flung at Mars and such.

didymos

Post by didymos »

No comment.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

didymos wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]

No comment.
I vote we change the "S" in "SJW" to "Subjective". As there's nothing "social" about shouting at people. I'd consider it anti-social to be honest.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

didymos wrote: No comment.
Who is this person that keeps popping up? She has a lot of identity labels, but just seems like a "straight white girl".

Kinda par for the course really.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:@Phil,

Ramadan started today. If you want revenge try grilling some food where they can smell it an hour before sunset.

(nearly sunset here and if my neighbour stared grilling shrimp on his barbie right now I would probably go cray cray)
I am a "natural" Atheist in that I have never believed, no matter how hard I tried. And I tried, really really hard to believe.

But yes, I am observing Ramadan for the 2nd time. *shrug* not really a biggie because I was raised as a Catholic and remember Lent? In some ways Lent is harder.

didymos

Post by didymos »

DownThunder wrote:
didymos wrote: No comment.
Who is this person that keeps popping up? She has a lot of identity labels, but just seems like a "straight white girl".

Kinda par for the course really.
She's not white. I do know that she has self-declared as neuroatypical because it "fits her" or something like that. As for why she's supposedly queer, no idea. All I've ever seen her talk about is dudes. Other than that, she just a reliable source of good SJW crazy, so I check in from time to time.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 163750.htm

Debunks Sarkeesian and other video game moralizers.
That study's findings do not fit the narrative, so it cannot be allowed to stand. I'm sure you understand. It's for the best.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Opyt wrote:James:
Look at the bright side, the ones pushing for Fat Acceptance will face the cruelty of "Survival of the Fittest". When they die young from all the heart problems that go with it, they'll be proving to the world that while the mouth was shouting "NO" the brain was adding "more food please!".
Related to movies brought up:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... atties.jpg

from here

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Late to party but TiBo / FuperSuck:

:dance: :clap: :clap:

Well played sir.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Jay the nerd kid is a narcissistic wankfuck.

Have encountered before in other areas I used to participate in before they were overrun by jaythenerdkids.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: <snip>
I am a "natural" Atheist in that I have never believed, no matter how hard I tried. And I tried, really really hard to believe.

But yes, I am observing Ramadan for the 2nd time. *shrug* not really a biggie because I was raised as a Catholic and remember Lent? In some ways Lent is harder.
Recently I ran across something from someone called Frater Ravus - about whom there seems to be little known: "Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions." While I’ll readily agree that sometimes one has to rely on a modicum of faith – Norbert Wiener argued, with some justification, that science depends on a faith that nature is subject to law – that seems only applicable if the available questions and answers lead one into merely chasing one’s tail. A situation that I find rather analogous to Newton’s method for finding the roots of some types of equations – this Wikipedia article describes cases in which “some starting points may enter an infinite cycle, preventing convergence” – one doesn’t get any closer to the goal even if one exists: the problem is incompatible with the method being used trying to solve it.

However, I find it hard to understand why you would actually try to believe in something which has so many obvious shortcomings and limitations; I mean it’s not like any of the some 100,000 anthropomorphic deities that mankind has believed in and sacrificed to – and frequently it’s other people who have been sacrificed to them – over the last 50 to 100 millennia has actually ever put in an appearance on the stage. Maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree? Maybe we should try believing in something else? Maybe even in humanity itself?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

rayshul wrote:Jay the nerd kid is a narcissistic wankfuck.

Have encountered before in other areas I used to participate in before they were overrun by jaythenerdkids.
http://jaythenerdkid.wordpress.com/

She seems rather obsessed with a single man who stalked her once. She therefore feels entitled to go :naughty: #YesAllMen :naughty: and use the poisoned M&M defense. :snooty:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Indeed, you and your halfwitted league of Antisocial Justice Wankers have been non-stop trolling, harassing, abusing and dehumanizing Richard Dawkins and have emptied bucket loads of hostility over his head. In doing so you've undoubtedly made the world a better place. And now make it even better by jumping off a cliff.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Hunt wrote:
Opyt wrote:
another lurker wrote:Lsuoma, I assume you got my PM...can you change my nym? Pretty please.
While you're at it, could you give me an edit button? :lol:
And I'll take $1000 cash in small bills. Thank you.
Just a reacharound for me pls FT

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

AndrewV69 wrote:
... because I was raised as a Catholic and remember Lent? In some ways Lent is harder.
You should give the Anglican (episcopalian) version of Lent a try. You can choose what to give up. I used to alternate between Chives and Shallots.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Well, I feel special, my "gift" got retweeted by Thunderf00t.
I don't know whether I'm a bully, or if he was amused. I suspect amused, but I can't prove it without asking. But, he noticed it at least lol.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Peezus has a post today promoting Surly Amy's LAWAAG feminist atheist monthly meeting in CFI Los Angeles.

But then he has a brainwave -
There’s a gaping void in the middle of the country. Quick, someone set up something similar in Minneapolis! Or the South! Or in every state!
Yes, the lifelong feminist and long-time member of Minnesota Atheists suddenly realizes that his local area has no women's group.
Well they can't have can they?
If they did then surely PZ Myers, feminist extraordinaire would know about it, wouldn't he?

Wouldn't his FTB blogging colleague and vice president of Minnesota Atheists Steph Svan have informed him about it many times - and wouldn't he be a regular attendee at their meetings?

But of course he would!

And the fact that he has never heard of such a group ... means that it cannot possibly exist!

So there!

http://i.imgur.com/L7uq0hQ.jpg

:think:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]
HOLY FUCKING WOW. Where do you find these?

James Caruthers

Tony Parsehole wrote:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2014 ... e-of-love/

Slymeshitter alert.

Darren

Post by Darren »

didymos wrote:
Well, at least she finally admitted it.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Darren wrote:
didymos wrote:
Well, at least she finally admitted it.
Your signature. So taunting.
You also know that wasn't the intention. Missed a "with" in there somewhere. But now that you've pointed it out, I can't unsee it.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Yes, the lifelong feminist and long-time member of Minnesota Atheists suddenly realizes that his local area has no women's group.
Well they can't have can they?
If they did then surely PZ Myers, feminist extraordinaire would know about it, wouldn't he?
Isn't this a perfect example of mansplaining? It almost exactly reflects the same scenario as recounted in Solnit's original article, it's just that there weren't any women around to immediately correct him at the time he wrote it. I consider this a slight slip of the mask. Myers it's all that interested in whether there's women's atheist groups or not. He just wants people to think he is.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: However, I find it hard to understand why you would actually try to believe in something which has so many obvious shortcomings and limitations; I mean it’s not like any of the some 100,000 anthropomorphic deities that mankind has believed in and sacrificed to – and frequently it’s other people who have been sacrificed to them – over the last 50 to 100 millennia has actually ever put in an appearance on the stage. Maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree? Maybe we should try believing in something else? Maybe even in humanity itself?
I was a child Steers. Literally, I was age seven when I tossed in the towel. My first holy communion, walking down the aisle with the certain knowledge that I believed in none of this.

Remember when you were that age?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote: However, I find it hard to understand why you would actually try to believe in something which has so many obvious shortcomings and limitations; I mean it’s not like any of the some 100,000 anthropomorphic deities that mankind has believed in and sacrificed to – and frequently it’s other people who have been sacrificed to them – over the last 50 to 100 millennia has actually ever put in an appearance on the stage. Maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree? Maybe we should try believing in something else? Maybe even in humanity itself?
I was a child Steers. Literally, I was age seven when I tossed in the towel. My first holy communion, walking down the aisle with the certain knowledge that I believed in none of this.

Steers was never a child, he came from the womb fully formed as a 40-year old pedant.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

AndrewV69 wrote:

My auto-deconversion probably had a similar timeline, though I was fortunate to not be raised in a religious environment. There's nothing like witnessing, at age 11, adults groveling up stairs to a church on their hands and knees to convince you at a tender age that much of the world is batshit.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

jimthepleb wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Steers was never a child, he came from the womb fully formed as a 40-year old pedant.
Steersman can't help what operating system he came with. It could be worse, he could come with NerdOfRedhat Linux, which calls you an idjit fuckwit in every alert box that pops up.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Opyt wrote:
He was recently on Doug Stanhope's podcast.

http://stanhope.libsyn.com/episode-26-jim-goad

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

DownThunder wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Steers was never a child, he came from the womb fully formed as a 40-year old pedant.
Steersman can't help what operating system he came with. It could be worse, he could come with NerdOfRedhat Linux, which calls you an idjit fuckwit, and FLOOSHES every alert box that pops up.
FTFY DownThunder. I concur: at least Steersman is an approachable android.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

From Ophelia's post about Dawkins and the SJW twitter incident.

http://i.imgur.com/RXciTa0.jpg

What exactly is she doing here?

Someone tells her that this attitude is coming across as somewhat bitter and she immediately admits it and proves it by posting that Myers clone Chris Clarke's, pathetic attempt at mocking Dawkins!

Does she think this has any effect other than making people realize she's a vindictive idiot?

didymos

Post by didymos »

Dick Strawkins wrote:From Ophelia's post about Dawkins and the SJW twitter incident.

Someone tells her that this attitude is coming across as somewhat bitter and she immediately admits it and proves it by posting that Myers clone Chris Clarke's, pathetic attempt at mocking Dawkins!

Does she think this has any effect other than making people realize she's a vindictive idiot?
I think someone douched Ophelia's brain.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

didymos wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:From Ophelia's post about Dawkins and the SJW twitter incident.

I think someone douched Ophelia's brain.
I guess ageism is not on today's sjw menu. Only when it suits them.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Ode to Ophelia Benson.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Mayhap, for thou art more annoying
Than a plague of biting insects
Or that tick that did latch itself upon
My left bollock last Thursday.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

http://news.yahoo.com/2-arrested-20-dea ... 43582.html

Someone tell Commissioner Gordon to put up the Avi signal.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

I thought no-one quoted Shakespeare anymore?

AnonymousCowherd

piginthecity wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
... because I was raised as a Catholic and remember Lent? In some ways Lent is harder.
You should give the Anglican (episcopalian) version of Lent a try. You can choose what to give up. I used to alternate between Chives and Shallots.
Or you could just give up Lent...

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shouldn't joke, I guess. Looks horrible. Over-crowded substandard fifty year old building. What could go wrong?

AnonymousCowherd

DW Adams wrote:
We may as well include an example of what will likely be be our true legacy as a species...

"Your DVD player is not authorised to play disks from this region. Continued attempts to play this disk will be regarded as an illegal attempt to break or circumvent the encryption on this disk, and will regarded as an act of war. Press 1 to indicate that you have read and understood these instructions. Full details of your legal obligations are available on our website. Failure to press 1 will result in this disk self-destructing in 5 seconds. Have a nice day"

AnonymousCowherd

Hunt wrote:Shouldn't joke, I guess. Looks horrible. Over-crowded substandard fifty year old building. What could go wrong?
Given that it performed as well as a brand new, as yet unoccupied, possibly sub-standard building...not much more.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Is this Taslima's version of a public service announcement?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... r-ramadan/

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

DW Adams wrote:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bhoytony wrote:
Opyt wrote:
He was recently on Doug Stanhope's podcast.

http://stanhope.libsyn.com/episode-26-jim-goad
Class.
His blog is pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Maddox.

AnonymousCowherd

Cunt of Personality wrote:Ode to Ophelia Benson.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Mayhap, for thou art more annoying
Than a plague of biting insects
Or that tick that did latch itself upon
My left bollock last Thursday.
How now, you secret, black, and midnight
hags! What is’t you do? A deed without a name.
Shakespeare DeVere Bacon Darren from the chipshop Fuck Knows

AnonymousCowherd

Hunt wrote:Is this Taslima's version of a public service announcement?

Love this (probably unintended) backhanded compliment;

Trenton
June 29, 2014 at 5:24 pm (UTC 5.5)
I wish Christopher Hitchens had met you when he was still with us…
Would have loved to listen to the two of you in a broad ranging discussion.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I notice Myers has wrangled himself onto a panel at the upcoming International Humanist Conference in Oxford.
http://whc2014.org.uk/parallel-sessions ... g-in-noise

But the topic?
Drowning in noise: how accommodating nonsense poisons our discourse
PZ Myers, David Silverman and Sara Passmore

A commitment to freedom of belief and freedom of expression means, to some people, that we should be accommodating of others. After all, their have their right to their beliefs, don’t they? But do they have that right to the extent of not having their views challenged. Is this right? Is there a risk that the language of freedom of belief can be used to protect some specific beliefs from criticism? This is a vast topic but our speakers will address two aspects of it.

David Silverman will talk about what he views as ‘political correctness’ and how compliance with social pressure to respect religion drives undue religious influence in society and ultimately leads to laws that reflect theocratic values in the US and elsewhere.

PZ Myers will talk about the misuse of science. Science is a well-respected enterprise and the public generally regards scientific evidence as the gold standard for good information, but now we face another problem: the appropriation of the mantle of science by charlatans and apologists for nonsense. Our appreciation of good information is being undermined by the 24/7 news cycle, by promotion of fluff and sensationalism by web-based sources, and by marginal cranks whose sense of entitlement allows them to demand greater representation in the name of ‘tolerance’. PZ Myers will discuss some of the excesses of this process and make some suggestions about how we can counter it.

PZ Myers describes himself as “a godless liberal biologist”. He is associate professor of biology at the University of Minnesota Morris, currently working with zebrafish in the field of evolutionary developmental biology. He is an outspoken critic of creationism and intelligent design (for which he has “nothing but contempt”, saying that it is “fundamentally dishonest”). He is founder and co-author of the Pharyngula science blog which in 2006 was listed by the journal Nature as the top-ranked blog by a scientist. He was the American Humanist Association’s 2009 Humanist of the Year and won IHEU’s International Humanist Award in 2011. His book The Happy Atheist was published in 2013.

David Silverman is President of American Atheists and organised the 2012 Reason Rally. He is the first atheist to appear as a regular panellist on American television to present the atheist perspective and has appeared on most major news programs on CNN, NPR, Fox and other networks.

Sara Passmore is the British Humanist Association’s Head of Education and Promotion.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Hunt wrote:Is this Taslima's version of a public service announcement?

I think she's saying religious folk are often hypocrites. Which is to say the sky is often blue.

James Caruthers

I tried to post a fun comment, but went into insta-moderation.

I think I've been shadowbanned again. *sadface*