Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Kristine Kochanski

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Kristine Kochanski »

Quiz wrote:Once all this stuff gets taken care of in court, I wonder how people will react to her at TAM know she was arrested for domestic violence.
Point and laugh :D That is the way I am going.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kristine Kochanski wrote:
Quiz wrote:Once all this stuff gets taken care of in court, I wonder how people will react to her at TAM know she was arrested for domestic violence.
Here's the problem. Certain factions of the skeptic/atheist community have spent the past two years insisting that conferences are unsafe and that extensive policies must be written and strictly enforced to protect the hearts and minds of all attendees, including trans*otherkins whose unborn conjoined twins are still stuck to their faces.

Are we really supposed to look the other way now that a confirmed domestic violence arrestee is SPEAKING at one of the conferences most seriously targeted as being rife with abusers?

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Garlic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:He hasn't actually got around to explaining how the "fuck me please" emails of 2010 are consistent with the SA narrative.

Because they aren't.

Meh. It's fully compatible with him being nice for a while, her falling for it, and him turning the crazy back on. Rinse, repeat.

If you've never been in a situation like that, well, good for you. I suppose some of the folks in here who've been in "special" relationships could relate.

The really damning claim on Radford's site is the allegedly faked emails. Baxter claims that it was a honest mistake (duh!) and implies that there are many more, totally-for-realz post-2010 emails. We'll see.
I agree that the "fuck me please" e-mails of 2010 don't prove that Radford's not guilty, but surely you'll agree that they're consequential evidence?

In any case, the falsified e-mails are, as you say, the strongest evidence, and they speak directly to Stollznow's credibility and intent. I don't buy for a second that it was an honest mistake. First of all, that's the kind of thing you make sure is correct before you submit it to an investigator, assuming you're competent (she is) and honest ( :think: ). Second of all, even an honest mistake wouldn't excuse the quote-mining. Third of all, only the years were changed, and they weren't all changed by the same number. If all the dates were off by the same number of years, I'd consider the extraordinarily minute possibility (I'm talking false-rape-allegation extraordinary! ;) ) that somehow some auto-date software on some computer is to blame.

Plus, Baxter already confirmed to Mykeru that the quote-mined date-altered list of "harassing" e-mails that Radford posted was indeed presented as evidence to the CFI investigator.

I won't say case closed because we might not have all the pertinent evidence, but at this stage Stollznow's evidence had better be damn convincing.
wasnt the excuse that they were forwarded a few times to preserve from defunct email addresses?

if so they would have the same date or be grouped in bundles, by the dates they were being forwarded together

if they are staggered out rather than clumped AND advance dated, it is clear signs of knowing manipulation

also if constant harassment during 2010 was evident but a few emails "happened" to get their dates changed and they "happened" to be the ones sent to investigators, it would still be simplicity itself to show the incriminating ones

after all something had to establish the patter these were "confused" with

if those are all that can be dug up it shows clear signs of knowingly lying

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Holms
4 April 2014 at 10:10 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Corvus, just go back to the pit. Standards of logic and behaviour are low enough over there that people will actually buy your shit; they may even praise you.
:lol:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Yes, Peter Beardsley immediately comes to mind.
You made me google image search that. Twat.
Pffft. How could anyone not be turned on by this:

http://i.imgur.com/zchw9E7.jpg

I love how you are now the Pit's go-to-gay. Do you give tips on vacuuming and quiche-making? Or how to get through a particularly tricky crochet sequence?
I shall not seek, and I will not accept the nomination of official pit spokesgay.

Actually I'm a pretty astereotypical mo. While I keep myself in relatively good shape, I'm not a fashionista, and am kind of a slob. I'm not much of a cook. I prefer beer or whiskey over cape cods or cosmos. And as Mykeru will attest, you wouldn't want to hire me as your decorator-although liking kitsch and camp is a gay thing. I'm not a big fan of dance music and I'm usually more interested in hockey and american football than I am of musical theatre.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I love how you are now the Pit's go-to-gay. Do you give tips on vacuuming and quiche-making? Or how to get through a particularly tricky crochet sequence?
That particular stereotype of gays would get disbelieving looks in my part of the sticks. Gays around here are mainly indistinguishable from the general population in so many ways it is not funny.

One of my gay neighbours asked me if I was interested in attending a French cooking class and I jumped at it. But it was cancelled because there were not enough members of the local LBGT and their breeders friends interested.

(still cheesed off about it)

Lookit ...
This is a fun & informal 1 day cooking class to
learn some new cooking techniques and prepare
a Classic French meal that you can do at home.

French Onion Soup / Duck L’Orange
with Duck Leg Confit served with Potato Fondant
and Ratatouille Glazed Vegetable / Classic Crème Brûlée

The meal will be cooked as a group giving each
person a chance to participate then shared at the
end of the course.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Did Chas C Peterson just semi-dox Ogvorbis? "Billy" reference seems to occur in the midst of an Ogvorbis hugfest in the Thunderdome.

http://i.imgur.com/aYHsivU.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-778566

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

[youtube]5EzuAl71myw[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote: If nothing else, I'm hoping we'll get a post-coital selfie in which Stollzy shows off her chest and Radford hides his face.
I for one am hoping to find out if she has bigger nipples than he does.

(no really ... that question has been keeping me up nights)

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Did Chas C Peterson just semi-dox Ogvorbis? "Billy" reference seems to occur in the midst of an Ogvorbis hugfest in the Thunderdome.

[youtube]6cdFuMgMkBM[/youtube]

Oggy, don't rape those children.
Don't traumatize them for li-i-ife...

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

windy wrote:In non-Bradford-related news, this map has been making the rounds on Tumblr, Washington Post and other silly places. It tries to show what Africa might have looked like "if it had never been colonized". Apparently colonization by Muslims doesn't count?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... n-1260.jpg

Reddit's Badhistory has been having some fun with it:

There was also a confused article in the Guardian about how "Google Maps gets Africa wrong".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/a ... rica-wrong

Is fighting oppression through maps a "thing" at the moment?
That map is bizarre. Why are Spain and Sicily part of Africa? Why is Songhai on there when that empire fell apart due to civil strife in the 16th(?) century? The various ethnicities-with different languages and cultural traditions are very mixed-some were nomadic in the not too distant past. It's not likely they would be united into nation states without it being the result of some overarching power-muslim expansion in the distant past-european colonialism in the recent past.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Did Chas C Peterson just semi-dox Ogvorbis? "Billy" reference seems to occur in the midst of an Ogvorbis hugfest in the Thunderdome.

No. Ogvorbis used to use another online pseudonymous handle "Billy the Atheist"
There's a pharyngula wiki written by the horde that mentions this.

I presume his real name is different.

Kristine Kochanski

Post by Kristine Kochanski »

Really? wrote:
Kristine Kochanski wrote:
Here's the problem. Certain factions of the skeptic/atheist community have spent the past two years insisting that conferences are unsafe and that extensive policies must be written and strictly enforced to protect the hearts and minds of all attendees, including trans*otherkins whose unborn conjoined twins are still stuck to their faces.

Are we really supposed to look the other way now that a confirmed domestic violence arrestee is SPEAKING at one of the conferences most seriously targeted as being rife with abusers?
I am still going with point and laugh, but that is just me. I have been attending TAM since TAM 4, I get my laughs where I can take them. Enough of the whining. Last year was so lovely because the whiny babies were not there. We had a lovely time and did not miss the drama llamas at all. Life went on for us and we all had a great time.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Hey um, there's a few people I haven't seen at the pit recently. Hope all is well to the Kitty overlord.

I am even left wondering where John Calhoun is. He last posted 10 days ago.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

JacquesCuze wrote:Hey um, there's a few people I haven't seen at the pit recently. Hope all is well to the Kitty overlord.

I'm a bit worried about our Overlord too. He seemed a bit down in some of his recent posts.

Also, welcome to all the new people.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:[youtube]5EzuAl71myw[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:[youtube]5EzuAl71myw[/youtube]
You cunt, really?.

So fuck it, have some GREAT cuntry music:

[youtube]xybpwZHBw5o[/youtube]

I used to fap like crazy over Emmylou...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

Humbert Humbert.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I get another mention over on Avi's blog.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ever-will/

Am I approaching the hattrick?

Beta Neckbeard

Post by Beta Neckbeard »

Lose the name, but leave the comment?

http://imgur.com/a0f2CY6.jpg

Of course not. Good moderation, Peezus. :bjarte:

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I literally can't make it past the first paragraph. Avi is the Jackson Pollock of bloggers, except he sucks.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:I literally can't make it past the first paragraph. Avi is the Jackson Pollock of bloggers, except he sucks.
Yes, but I think it's great Pitchguest is giving him food for thought and he is responding to it rather than ignoring as many of them do.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Beta Neckbeard wrote:Lose the name, but leave the comment?

http://imgur.com/a0f2CY6.jpg

Of course not. Good moderation, Peezus. :bjarte:
In the unmoderated Thunderdome that is totally never moderated.

Except when it is moderated.

Which is all the time.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest wrote:I get another mention over on Avi's blog.

Guestus Aurelius wrote:I literally can't make it past the first paragraph. Avi is the Jackson Pollock of bloggers, except he sucks.
OMG, just tried to read it.

Avicenna needs some Valium, and an editor.

NobleLeatherstrap

Post by NobleLeatherstrap »

JackSkeptic wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Hey um, there's a few people I haven't seen at the pit recently. Hope all is well to the Kitty overlord.

I'm a bit worried about our Overlord too. He seemed a bit down in some of his recent posts.

Also, welcome to all the new people.
Thank you for the warm welcome Jack.

Its nice to be in the pit. Even if there are a lot of meanie pants who need to collectively check their reasoning and comedic privileges.

Edited photos of people that are totes hilarious?

Questioning conclusions derived from logical fallacies?

Cause PTSD much?

I'll say it louder this time...MEANIE PANTS. You should all feel ashamed by what your doing to the poor narcissists. I bet you a-holes didn't consider that if you deflate these fuckers then there will be fewer divisive people in the world. Then what? We can have nice things?
Pfffft...overrated.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Well, John Scalzi jumped the shark today.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/04/04/a ... al-sexism/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I get another mention over on Avi's blog.

OMG, just tried to read it.

Avicenna needs some Valium, and an editor.
I had the same experience.
Avicenna is OK when he sticks to medical matters - homeopathy, vaccination etc, or when he talks about indian society.
But his feminist stuff is terrible, not because I hate feminist writing per se, but because we writes about that subject in a Finnegans Wake stream of consciousness mess, like someone trying to organize a library using dynamite.
He is not careful with his facts and reacts with anger rather than humility when mistakes are pointed out.
He resorts to generalizations and insults against those he feels are likely to criticize him - labelling the slymepitters arseholes (we all know that's just Parsehole - and he can't help how he looks, Avicenna, you ableist creep!)
Calling us all MRAs or conflating us with AVFM is the standard lazy technique of those who either haven't tried to find out the truth of the diversity of opinion here - or who don't care.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

On another note, Myers has a post up (for ~17 hrs or so, so this is not breaking news) about sex education - or, rather, abstinence-only "education" - in Mississippi. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ilthy-now/

Topic is fine but there are a couple of things about it that caught my eye:
1) In the OP, Myers envisions his penis melting away like a Tootsie Roll (it makes more sense in context) and that gives him castration anxiety - a bit of an oops on the biology there (but, okay, I get it, the idea of losing his manhood is anxiety-provoking for him);

2) He contrasts that & the Peppermint Pattie [sic] in the quoted story to women's genitalia which he calls "lady bits" that "you" "nibble on" - there he goes again with references to delicate femininity that needs to be treated reverently, plus also what seems to me like un-examined automatic heteronormativity to me;

3) The 2nd quote he presents uses "female" but that's apparently okay because the data in that section supports his views;

4) There are quite a few commenters in that thread who I don't recognize as "horde" (and many of those new-to-me nyms seem to be male, FWIW) - possibly because this is a post about Christianity affecting education (church-state, public health, etc) not the rift or feminism per se.

5) In this thread, we learn (again) that it's okay at Pharyngula to use ableist language, in this case when referring to people in the the deep South ("Bible belt") of the US (bolding added by me; none of these is a comment by Myers):
comment 7 in the Pharyngula thread wrote:...my disdain for right-wingers, Christianists, and 60% of U.S. states just keeps getting supported by the terrible and idiotic things they keep doing!
comment 15 wrote:I know it’s wrong both morally and scientifically to tar an entire state with one brush, but so much shit like this comes out of Mississippi I have to wonder – is everyone in that state dumber than a sack of doorknobs?
Maybe it’s like my old town, everyone with two neurons to rub together gets the hell outta Dodge, and only the mouth-breathers remain.
comments 18 and 19, replying to comment 15, wrote:...Honestly, you could tar about 35 out of the 50 states with the same brush. It’s dumbfucks almost all the way down.

And of course, the dumbfucks, no matter what the dumbfuck density of any given state, always seem to reach near 100% in administrative or government positions.
Now, quite a few commenters specify that Mississippi's problems, and those of its people, relate to specific factors like evangelical Christianity, poverty, sub-par education, and ignorance - non-ableist talk, presumably - but I'm amused that noone over there has pointed out the ableism rife in that thread. (And Grim never seems to wander over to Pharyngula.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Percentage wrote:Well, John Scalzi jumped the shark today.

Seems like there are several factors that go into whose name any one of us is more likely to remember & whose is forgettable, and that's going to differ to some extent between us, and the situation, etc.

This reads like the latest fashionable confession of sins against feminism. So what, he remembers pulchritudinous women (or their names, or so he claims) better than other people (or their names, or so he claims). I just go :roll:

didymos

Post by didymos »

Skep tickle wrote:

Seems like there are several factors that go into whose name any one of us is more likely to remember & whose is forgettable, and that's going to differ to some extent between us, and the situation, etc.

This reads like the latest fashionable confession of sins against feminism. So what, he remembers pulchritudinous women (or their names, or so he claims) better than other people (or their names, or so he claims). I just go :roll:
And I imagine he would remember an extraordinarily ugly person, male or female, better too. Or an extraordinarily tall person. Or short person. Or anyone with any sort of trait that stood out strongly from the average.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Plus, Baxter already confirmed to Mykeru that the quote-mined date-altered list of "harassing" e-mails that Radford posted was indeed presented as evidence to the CFI investigator.
Which makes one ask why didn't Radford point out the email quotes -- not even presented as complete emails -- were cherry picked from emails sent years earlier?

Well, that speaks to the nature of CFI's "investigation". My assumption is, in order to protect the sensibilities of the accuser and not confuse the accused with TMI, Radford never got to see, much less respond to, what was presented as evidence against him.

The right to face one's accuser, which is such a fundamental part of common law tradition among courts not run by kangaroos, doesn't mean just "Yeah, okay, here's who is accusing you", but the right to have access to and respond to the evidence presented.

Apparently CFI just came out of chambers, announced to Radford that he sent harassing emails and did a mic drop.

That CFI did not, it seems, allow Radford to confront the evidence against, essentially aiding in the fraud, speaks to the kind of organization it is. where spineless corporate ass covering takes precedent over their own damned mission statement.
At the Center for Inquiry, we believe that evidence-based reasoning, in which humans work together to address common concerns, is critical for modern world civilization. Moreover, unlike many other institutions, we maintain that scientific methods and reasoning should be utilized in examining the claims of both pseudoscience and religion. We reject mysticism and blind faith. No topic should be placed off limits to scrutiny—certainly not fringe science and religion, which have an enormous influence on beliefs and conduct.
But then, we already knew that about CFI, didn't we?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

didymos wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

And I imagine he would remember an extraordinarily ugly person, male or female, better too. Or an extraordinarily tall person. Or short person. Or anyone with any sort of trait that stood out strongly from the average.
That time he forgot his wife's name... was there was an attractive woman walking by? I always love the "holier-than-thou," bullshit. "Hi, I'm John, and I'm a sexist (Hellooo John!). And because I'm OWNING that I'm a sexist, at least I can examine and address the issues of MY sexism. Oh, and if you are an attractive women, please don't be upset if I don't remember your name..."

Hahaha!! Too busy committing cup size to his memory, by chance? That list of tweets was just a bizarre little trip down narcissist lane. Everybody look at John!

But thank you, Skep Tickle, for the word "pulchritudinous." Tucked away for future use. :clap:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:
Holms
4 April 2014 at 10:10 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Corvus, just go back to the pit. Standards of logic and behaviour are low enough over there that people will actually buy your shit; they may even praise you.
:lol:
Just when you think the old Irony Meter is going to make it, they shoot it all to hell. They are the Discovery Institute of rad-fem atheists. Yes, our standards are so low we look at the evidence provided, question it, look up the company involved in the computer forensics thing, organize a timeline, talk to Baxter...anything else? We don't give hugs or try to hide the identity of self-confessed child rapists. Not sure if that counts, but it's a nice jab anyway. Oh..I forgot...our standards are so low here, we even link to the sources. Stupid standards.

Maybe someday we can unquestioningly accept what people tell us. Maybe the baboons can show us the way? :pray:

mary (abbie's ilk)

Post by mary (abbie's ilk) »

I'm with Kristine.. I'll probably point and laugh.. Honestly, all this time the SJW have been screaming about how unsafe the conferences have been..and it's been one of there own who people should be afraid of...

seriously guys...(at least)2 men kept going back for more knowing she is batshit crazy...

be honest...how many men here would have sex with her knowing everything we now know about her?

well, the more I think this through..women go back to their violent partners all the time..so why not men..

I must say...that we have to have some great content for my next infusion.. makes for a perfect way to get it..

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

When's the next episode, and is their a reveal about stallsnow having prosopagnosia.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

mary (abbie's ilk) wrote:I'm with Kristine.. I'll probably point and laugh..
I quite like the idea of everybody at TAM booing her like Glenn Close at the end of Dangerous Liaisons - although for that to work Stollznow would need to have as much shame as the Marquise de Merteuil, and I'm not sure she does.

[youtube]wvQXbmtSmL0[/youtube]

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

I must admit she looks like a former partner of mine. Which is creepy. I am now experiencing recovered memories of her standing over my sleeping body, deciding whether to slit my throat or not.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Garlic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:He hasn't actually got around to explaining how the "fuck me please" emails of 2010 are consistent with the SA narrative.

Because they aren't.

Meh. It's fully compatible with him being nice for a while, her falling for it, and him turning the crazy back on. Rinse, repeat.

If you've never been in a situation like that, well, good for you. I suppose some of the folks in here who've been in "special" relationships could relate.

The really damning claim on Radford's site is the allegedly faked emails. Baxter claims that it was a honest mistake (duh!) and implies that there are many more, totally-for-realz post-2010 emails. We'll see.
I don't recall the SA article being so nuanced. The one I read said 2009 was it and it was rape/harassment from that point on.

No exceptions noted.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just back from seeing Gladiator at the Sydney Opera House with the family.

Big screen, choirs, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, 10 rows back - and best of all, the original singer (Lisa Gerrard) performed.

Magic.

http://i.imgur.com/t3jfjwX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bRfFTbg.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Anyone got more stellar reviews?
reviews .jpg
(235.78 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Humbert Humbert.

Billy the Rapeist?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

If this crazy keeps a pace, i'm going to have to get back on twitter for some fun, can't let murky be getting all the scoops

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Alas, his blog was far more mundane than his current profile would suggest.

http://iambilly.wordpress.com

I'd be interested in Skeptickle's views on PZs anti dox views.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:

Indeed. It reminds me of Dana Hunter's outrage that a heterosexual teenager refused to have sex with a male prostitute, and her conclusion that it was a clear example of homophobia.
It's just normal human biology. People are attracted to what their biology tells them and this attraction makes certain individuals stick out in their minds when they meet them.
You can't really change that - sexism would be continually acting on this (for example, if Scalzi only ever treated these attractive women as sex objects, or pursued every attractive women he met) rather than simply realizing you have certain ingrained physical preferences.

There is, of course, an advantage for SJWs to act outraged about normal biology.
It's a kind of original sin you are born with, and so allows them to include everyone in their list of target sexists or homophobes.
The SJWs themselves, naturally enough, are absolved from this sin due to the fact that they have accepted Jesus into their heartsrecognized their own privilege.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

A Zen master saw a scorpion drowning and decided to draw it from the water, and when he did, the scorpion stung him. Because of the pain, the master dropped the animal which fell in the water. The master attempted a second time to get it out of the water and the animal stung him again. Someone who was observing approached the master and said:-.

Excuse me, but you are stubborn! Don’t you understand that whenever you’ll attempt to pull it out of the water, it will sting you? The master replied:-the nature of the scorpion is to sting, and this will not change mine which is to help.

Then, using a leaf, the master drew the water scorpion from the water and saved its life and continued.

James Caruthers

Damn, Za-zen, don't you make me pull out my zen books. I meant to get back into that shit when I had the time, which I now do.

That's a new one on me, though. Sufi stories are good too.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

In zen your not supposed to give a "moral of the story is" as that's for the reader....

My moral of the story is; later on down the road the zen master drops dead, because he refused to learn the fucking lesson that the scorpion didn't want him to touch it.

James Caruthers

The Sufi knew what social justice wankers will never understand:
Change the World

Bayazid, a Sufi mystic, has written in his autobiography, “When I was young I thought and I said to God, and in all my prayers this was the base: ‘Give me energy so that I can change the whole world.’ Everybody looked wrong to me. I was a revolutionary and I wanted to change the face of the earth.

“When I became a little more mature I started praying: ‘This seems to be too much. Life is going out of my hands–almost half of my life is gone and I have not changed a single person, and the whole world is too much.’ So I said to God, ‘My family will be enough. Let me change my family.’

“And when I became old,” says Bayazid, “I realized that even the family is too much, and who am I to change them? Then I realized that if I can change myself that will be enough, more than enough. I prayed to God, ‘Now I have come to the right point. At least allow me to do this: I would like to change myself.’

“God replied, ‘Now there is no time left. This you should have asked in the beginning. Then there was a possibility.’”

James Caruthers

Here's a Zen Koan I don't understand, but I really like:
29. No Water, No Moon

When the nun Chiyono studied Zen under Bukko of Engaku she was unable to attain the fruits of meditation for a long time.

At last one moonlit night she was carrying water in an old pail bound with bamboo. The bamboo broke and the bottom fell out of the pail, and at that moment Chiyono was set free!

In commemoration, she wrote a poem:

In this way and that I tried to save the old pail
Since the bamboo strip was weakening and about
to break
Until at last the bottom fell out.
No more water in the pail!
No more moon in the water!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

That koan, to my understanding is about value. Ask it a different way:

You're in a desert, carrying a backpack with all your worldly possessions, but the weight of them may mean you don't get to the otherside. What do you do?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I've always found the cartoons of Sam Gross to be rather Zen.

http://www.sanfacon.com/art/cartoons/in ... _gross.gif

But that might just be me.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Za-zen wrote:In zen your not supposed to give a "moral of the story is" as that's for the reader....

My moral of the story is; later on down the road the zen master drops dead, because he refused to learn the fucking lesson that the scorpion didn't want him to touch it.
I see Radford as the scorpion and this is the FTB zen masters' response to him.

[youtube]1p_dLlBxGkI[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

bhoytony wrote:
Za-zen wrote:In zen your not supposed to give a "moral of the story is" as that's for the reader....

That was far too effective - they actually managed to kill the scorpion.

I tend to see Peezus and chums more like this:

[youtube]bRV4d9LCawU[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Zen master shiwongreilly once taught:

Tide goes in, tide goes out

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

That was far too effective - they actually managed to kill the scorpion.

I tend to see Peezus and chums more like this:

[youtube]bRV4d9LCawU[/youtube]
Lmfao, somebody needs to tweet that to pz

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Stalls and Rad get together to hash things out

[youtube]xnOLhXmhkyA[/youtube]

windy

Post by windy »

James Caruthers wrote:Much shorter Suey Park:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/d3138a3c0a4 ... qf0esf.jpg
The mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

[youtube]z6JCCayPG7k[/youtube]