Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
Dan

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by Dan »

For those of you still debating HJ the John/Joan case might be worth bringing up http://www.healthyplace.com/gender/insi ... john-joan/

[youtube]_GqQhsyUZ8g[/youtube]

Apples

Post by Apples »

Brive1987 wrote:Can "we" the West please keep the fuck out of Russia's backyard?

We didn't want the Cubans in Grenada or the Russians in Cuba. So what the hell?

Thank you.
It's okay when we do it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Satan wrote:SJW uses slurs against Dawkins, gets dogpiled by his followers:
Nice to see people calling out this "white cis males can't talk about _________" bullshit.

Seems to me if those white cis males did as the looney SJWs wanted and only talked about issues that affected only white cis males, then the SJWs would call them lout for being classist, racist, and sexist. It's a no-win.Fuck them.

Maybe that's why some of these morons, like Caine/Inaji, dishonestly claim ownership of all sorts of ancestry - so they can talk about any people they want without being accused of "appropriation" or of discussing things outside their race/class/gender.

In any case, it's once again a straight-up case of hypocrisy coming from the SJW camp.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote:Can "we" the West please keep the fuck out of Russia's backyard?

Thank you.
On a CNN comment section I asked basically the same question - why the US feels like it has to stick its goddamn nose in every situation around the globe. I was told I was "naive". Phhht. Not much difference between cnn.com and foxnews.com anymore.

spectator

Post by spectator »

Yeah, that's what you want us to think.[/quote]
LOL, okay how about this: women tend to learn less than men about mechanical and electronic control systems, but more about social control "systems".[/quote]

Better.

Also, they can't drive.[/quote]

I like to put on sweater first, too. Especially if it's a cute one that I didn't get a chance to wear much. But please understand that women have to deal with menopause symptoms and PMS which makes us break out into a sweat around the forehead for no reason but our feet remain ice cold.
Ableist jerks!!!! Male privilege!! Must be nice to laugh at our feudal attempts in search of a comfortable temperature :P

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

all children are parasites and abortion should be legal up to the 54th trimester

spectator

Post by spectator »

HTML fail

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gumby wrote:

Thank you.
On a CNN comment section I asked basically the same question - why the US feels like it has to stick its goddamn nose in every situation around the globe. I was told I was "naive". Phhht. Not much difference between cnn.com and foxnews.com anymore.
Madness. NATO 's march east is the scariest and dumbest thing I can imagine given Russia's historic (largely justified) paranoia and their possession of nuclear weapons.

What the hell are we doing underwriting Poland and Latvia? It's like a 21 century Zimmermann Telegram.

Seeing Kerry prancing about in the Ukraine for fucks sake was as nauseating as it was bizarre.

This map looks very much like the state of Europe in 1943/44

http://i.imgur.com/QfrPn8b.jpg

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

its like shes some kind of alien creature

spectator

Post by spectator »

rpguest wrote:all children are parasites and abortion should be legal up to the 54th trimester
Amanda Marcotte is that you posting your pro-abort rhetoric to the Pit?
Please stick to Twitter.
Thanks!

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

spectator returns!

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I think the hjoomin race has an obligation to throw Putin and his buddies into the alligator pit.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

CowKiTTY needs to be assimilated into the KiTTYFold.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

spectator wrote:
rpguest wrote:all children are parasites and abortion should be legal up to the 54th trimester
Amanda Marcotte is that you posting your pro-abort rhetoric to the Pit?
Please stick to Twitter.
Thanks!
nono if i was marcotte i would have said "all boys" instead

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dan wrote:For those of you still debating HJ the John/Joan case might be worth bringing up http://www.healthyplace.com/gender/insi ... john-joan/

[youtube]_GqQhsyUZ8g[/youtube]
That article is long but very good.
There is, however, a rather sad conclusion to the story:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... r_gap.html

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

paddybrown wrote:
I don't know about secular, but there's certainly an atheist argument against abortion, which is that we only get one life and it's wrong to deliberately remove someone's life unless absolutely necessary. A foetus is a human being at an early stage of development, and while it doesn't have all the faculties of an adult human being, it will develop them in due course. I wouldn't argue for an absolute ban on abortion (and banning things rarely works anyway), but I can't call myself "pro-choice" because I think it's at best a necessity, and a necessary evil, not a neutral choice between options. Even the necessity argument is weak because reliable contraception is so easily available.
In my experience, the number of women who casually get an abortion is terrifically small. It's a decision that has to be made quickly, while being gobsmacked by a sickening surge of hormones and god knows what, lots of intense conversations need to be had, a ton of big plans have to suddenly be made and it's expensive. And, personally, one is emotionally fraught. Also it's a pretty intimidatingly major procedure. Not like getting a pap smear, which is (I assume) all most women of childbearing years really have had to deal with.

And yeah birth control is easy but risk taking can be fun and lust can be powerful.
Mistakes can happen to anyone and everyone.
And of course there's the events that are, truly, beyond her control.
The argument for abortion on demand is essentially "women must have the right to absolute freedom of action without consequence". I can't think of any other group of people who have that right or any other circumstance where that right applies, so it's not an equality argument at all. I could see an equality argument if men could knock women up and abandon them without consequence, but we can't anymore, if we ever could. It's just an "anything a woman wants is a priori right" argument.
Biology dictates that decision to women only, just can't get around it, and any laws that try or actually do get round it bug me. Anyway, I suspect that if men were the ones to get pregnant, if Hornbeck's biology were true, they'd want the same ability to decide that on their own.
Abortion must be subject to ethical considerations. Unfortunately the well is so thoroughly poisoned by propaganda based on stereotypes about what sort of person is against abortion that it's socially unacceptable outside religious circles to discuss them.
Hard to find those who don't have a strong opinion, and I can appreciate anyone's opinion about it, mine has vacillated, but I think it just has to be a safe and easy option.
Where I have trouble was mentioned by Dr. Strawkins. Very late term abortions that aren't due to a birth defect or life of the mother make me feel ill.
Anyway. Carry on :)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Two regular readers have birthday today! Happy birthday, Welch! And happy birthday PZ Myers! :D

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Aneris wrote:Two regular readers have birthday today! Happy birthday, Welch! And happy birthday PZ Myers! :D
No sure if troll..... *narrows eyes*

If I'm not falling for a trap laid by a sneaky Aneris, Welch I always love your posts. Even if I find the subject deadly dull your writing is a frolick.
:occasion-birthday: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-cake: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-birthday:

And PZ?
I'd guess plenty of emoticons and pics will follow that'll be in line with my wishes.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

rpguest wrote:its like shes some kind of alien creature
Hahaha! I love this woman!

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Skep tickle wrote: Not to be obsessing about hjhornbeck :D but he DID say he was going to put up post after post after post to get us haters to make more mistakes so I've been wondering where those are.

He's posted in FTB here in the thread at Lousy Canuck's entry about his talk. He has a couple of comments in a row; the last 2 are new. Looks like Matt dismissing his background & sources, & my commenting that he was using Wikipedia a fair amount (thus I figured he would accept it as a source if I did) must have rankled. In the comment linked, he says (in part) about his paper related to his script for his FTBCon talk:
... There are 78 URLs in the full script. That’s only a subset of the citations, as many of the papers I reference are hidden behind pay-walls and therefore could not be linked to. A half-decent count of MLA-style citations that excludes URLs adds 31 more. There’s also six non-MLA citations that I could eyeball. That makes for 115 citations, give or take a few (as I’m not sure I properly counted double-citations).

I only linked to 17 Wikipedia pages, of which I only relied on one for my argument (and even then only because it was a minor, uncontroversial point), and slipped in two to shore up a post-talk YouTube comment (see comment 2 above). The remainder were intended as an overview of a subject for those reading the script.

That leaves 98 non-Wikipedia citations. ...
Why bother mentioning "MLA-style" and "non-MLA" citations? Is his chosen formatting impressive or relevant in some way? If he thinks so, he'd have done well to look up which styles are typically used in which fields—biologists (and scientists in general) rarely use MLA. Again, not that this has any bearing on the discussion whatsoever... :roll:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Congratulations to the Cyberdyne Systems WELCH-T1000 advanced prototype for still existing on the anniversary of its manufacture date.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

didymos wrote:Also, lol. Talk about white girl:
YOU GO GIRL!

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7927/tc3q.png

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
John D wrote:At least one editor at the Washington Post has had enough of Appropriation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo ... beethoven/
But, wait: Maybe — and I know this is a radical thought — artists, whether high or low, should be able to work in whatever artistic fields they want to work in. Maybe they should even be able to work in those fields regardless of their skin color or the place from which their ancestors came.
What?! Those damn godless Japs dare to play Beethoven? Bomb the fuck of them again, NAO! They should confine themselves on playing Gangnam Style 24 hours a day.
That's Korean you insensitive ass.

welch

Post by welch »

Sunder wrote:So some people (pretty much just me) are saying copyright is a fine idea, but extremely flawed in execution and here's why.

And the rest of you are saying copyright may be extremely flawed in execution, but it's a fine idea and here's why.

I don't think we're actually disagreeing so much as talking past one another.
Probably.

The thing is, there's this human desire for "The Perfect Solution", that is the one that solves a problem perfectly and creates no new problems of its own. It's a nice thought, it's a comforting thought, and it's bullshit on a pretty plate.

There's no such thing. Every solution creates other problems, and in the *vast* majority of cases, only solves part or most of a problem.

Copyright and patent law is absolutely imperfect. But the idea that by getting rid of it, we make all problems in that area go away is stupidity and magical thinking writ large, and has no rational basis.

The thing is, actually trying to fix things in a useful way is a tedious iterative process, and the law, especially in this country is anything but efficient by design. People want some grand gesture NAO, not a series of incremental steps that years down the road you look and say "hey, that actually helped."

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sad news.
I've just seen evidence that Parsehole has gone over to the SJW side!

https://twitter.com/DmedicMan_/status/4 ... 5074879488

:(

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:
didymos wrote:Also, lol. Talk about white girl:
YOU GO GIRL!

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7927/tc3q.png
I was going to comment on that, but suspected I might be ninja'd. Reminded me of the scene in Illuminatus! where Epicene Wildeblood posts a personal ad seeking someone interested in "Greek culture" and snares a high-ranking officer who wants to talk about military victories of Alexander the Great.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Mykeru wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: My mom did this when I was growing up. I figured out pretty early on (by watching her do this) that setting the thermostat at the temperature you wanted to achieve was the better approach - one reason being that if you set it too high or too low (or, too high THEN too low) you end up having to fiddle with the thermostat repeatedly and pointlessly.
I was raised to put a sweater on. Which doesn't bother me, as any thermostat set above 68 degree I consider too damn hot.
I was once the only male working in an office and the thermostat was right by my desk. They used to keep that office hotter than hell. I thought it was unfair because they could put on a sweater but I couldn't wear a t-shirt and shorts, I had to wear shirt and tie. My only allies were 2 women in there 8 months of pregnancy who would come by and turn down the thermostat and about an hour later one of the nonpregnant women would come by and turn it back up. I'd watch this all day long.

welch

Post by welch »

LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: 60% of WHAT market? Desktops? Overall? they sure as shit don't have 60% of mobile. See, that's the great thing about using contextless stats. They sound impressive until someone who knows more about the overall market points out that you said, literally, 60% of <undefined>.
Still was talking x86. You keep dragging other architectures in and until the mobile explosion they were an edge market and I wasn't referring to them. x86 for a long time was the dominating architecture and still likely is for a little while longer.
So you've decided that the entire computer market is X86. Okay. Had you said that only X86 counts in your world, then I'd have known you don't know a lot about computing overall and ignored you long ago.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: As well, you ignore how outfits like IBM do in fact implement X86 instruction sets in other hardware architectures. So again, it's still not just two manufacturers. Oops.
You'll have to cite that as far as I am aware IBM always bought their x86 CPU's from Intel since day 1.
Read up on their mainframe work. z/OS has done some interesting things with allowing for alternative instruction sets in their VMs for some years now. I think the iSeries has too. They have options for actual cards with other CPUS as well if you need.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: And your entire implication is that Intel got their marketshare SOLELY via suing people and patents.
Nope never said that. Everything you say after that is a non-sequitur. Lets put it this way, say you want in on the x86 market and you had all the investment, marketing, capex and design for the hardware: what would be your biggest hurdle?[/qupte]

In "how"? What, by making CPUs? Why the fuck would I waste my time on that? it's a shitty business to be in. Huge amounts of R&D that are focused on basically a single process, fab facilities that are billions of dollars to start, and require a constant flow of billions, error rates that even submarines and spacecraft don't need.

In addition, the x86 market is not where most of the growth is. It's actually pretty stagnant, the desktop and server sales show that. Mobile is where the real money is, and it's money you can make without needing more money than god or IBM.

My biggest hurdle would be in convincing my partners that I hadn't gone fucking stupid.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, and in any case, you're wrong about how many X86 manufacturers there are even in terms of actual chips. There's three.
Yes VIA. Not seen one in a while.

According to the pit of lies:

"On the basis of the IDT Centaur acquisition,[10] VIA appears to have come into possession of at least three patents, which cover key aspects of processor technology used by Intel. On the basis of the negotiating leverage these patents offered, in 2003 VIA arrived at an agreement with Intel that allowed for a ten year patent cross license, enabling VIA to continue to design and manufacture x86 compatible CPUs. VIA was also granted a three year grace period in which it could continue to use Intel socket infrastructure."

Well I guess that makes patents a good thing...ignoring the fact that was pretty much an act of blackmail.
Ah, so now they don't count because they aren't big enough. Goalpost moving and no true scotsman. Good job sonny.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Your ignorance is astounding.
Yawn.
welch wrote: No, all of IBM's operating systems are not flavors of BSD. Their mainframe and mini OSen are not even close to that.
Quick I'll go install that right now! oh wait!
Facts are SO inconvenient for you.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Aww, someone doesn't know what they're talking about. QNX is POSIX compatible
Since QNX is not a Microsoft competitor I ignored it. You brought it up but it doesn't apply.

From their website:

"QNX® products are designed for embedded systems running on various platforms, including ARM and x86, and a host of boards implemented in virtually every type of embedded environment. "

MS killed WinCE a while ago and have shown they no longer give two fucks about embedded systems since they had no previously installed base they were pretty powerless in this market. Hence why I didn't bring it up.
And redefining terms that you didn't clearly define at the outset so that you can dismiss inconvenient facts. OH, and you're still wrong even with your new terms. QNX is in the mobile phone space. Badly, because Blackberry's an idiot collective, but it is there. Who else is in the mobile space? Microsoft.

So they are in fact, a microsoft competitor. Now make sure you redefine so mobile doesn't count.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, I left off AIX. Not a Linux/BSD flavor.
AIX was pretty much dropped by IBM for Linux. I'm sure they do some stuff with it but the AIX writing on the wall was seen years ago.
yes. Given how little you know about IBM in general, I'm sure your opinion is based on a wealth of facts. That aren't really there.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: The IBM mainframes, now zSeries actually supports multiple operating systems, but the main one is z/OS, whose lineage predates, well, all of them. Including Linux and BSD.
Still was only talking about x86. :roll: Mainframes different market..somewhat smaller than the x86 market.
Oh you are *now*. Now you're narrowing shit as fast as possible because that's the only way you can turn the entire world of operating systems into Linux, BSD, and Windows. You're still wrong in that assertion, but you also dismiss SysV unixen because they don't sell enough to count and so forth.

I imagine with not much work I could get you to narrow it down to only one line from two specific platform vendors.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, then there's OS 9, another embedded OS. not Unix.
Yes embedded, so was the amigaOS..lets see is it considered embedded because its used in embedded systems or because it was used on a CPU before the invention of virtual mode and the programmable memory controller?

Please I would just love to know which embedded systems are using OS9 in 2014. I would actually find that interesting.
Well, it won't actually matter, because now:

only desktop and certain server OS's count
Only x86 architecuture counts
Only sales over a certain number which of course, you've not provided counts
Only user numbers over a certain number, which you've not provided, counts
Only direct competitors of microsoft count. Except in Mobile and Embedded, those don't count. (did we forget MS competes actively in the embedded space? We must have, but luckily, that doesn't count either)

you go gurl.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Your lack of knowledge however, amuses the fuck out of me.
More yawn. Do you just yell until people go away so you can say you won? Or are you a Scientologist? Will you be asking my what my crimes are next?
welch wrote: It really helps when your points line up better with reality. Care to tell me again how all operating systems are windows/linux/bsd? Oh wait, is proving your point to be actually incorrect with real examples an ad hominem now?
My points still stand. Your edge cases still don't stack up to the mountain of the x86/Microsoft marketshare and I was referring to the x86 market in points about patents. The fact you keep bringing up ARM shows YOU may not have the depth of past knowledge you keep accusing me of not having.
tl;dr

"How dare you expect me to know more about computers than the one on my desk, and insist that any other kinds of computers count"

Ah, sweet, sweet intellectual dishonesty.

I bet you're a skeptic, aren't you.

welch

Post by welch »

Sunder wrote:
PZ is such a dingus these days.

Speaking as an ardent pro-choice proponent there is absolutely a secular case to be leveled against abortion (Sagan and Druyan touched on it in an essay that PZ has probably never read). Actually most pro-choice advocates aren't pro-abortion, they simply feel having safe legal access does more good than harm. They certainly don't appreciate nitwits like Nerd who repeat the "fetus as parasite" meme that makes them look like heartless shitheels.
precisely.

I'd be quite happy if there were never another abortion again, but because there was no need for one, not because of stupid laws against it. But until society gets there, it absolutely needs to be an option.

welch

Post by welch »

zenbabe wrote:
Aneris wrote:Two regular readers have birthday today! Happy birthday, Welch! And happy birthday PZ Myers! :D

If I'm not falling for a trap laid by a sneaky Aneris, Welch I always love your posts. Even if I find the subject deadly dull your writing is a frolick.
:occasion-birthday: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-cake: :occasion-balloons: :occasion-birthday:

And PZ?
I'd guess plenty of emoticons and pics will follow that'll be in line with my wishes.
Nope, not actually a troll. Me, PZ, Barbie, the battle between the monitor and the virginia, the firebombing of tokyo and dante fascell, all on march 9th. PZ's exactly 10 years older than me.

in the realm of odd coincidence, my first wife is march 9th, as is the ex-husband of a good friend of mine.

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:Congratulations to the Cyberdyne Systems WELCH-T1000 advanced prototype for still existing on the anniversary of its manufacture date.
I'd smile, but my articulation matrix is glitching :-P

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: 60% of WHAT market? Desktops? Overall? they sure as shit don't have 60% of mobile. See, that's the great thing about using contextless stats. They sound impressive until someone who knows more about the overall market points out that you said, literally, 60% of <undefined>.
Still was talking x86. You keep dragging other architectures in and until the mobile explosion they were an edge market and I wasn't referring to them. x86 for a long time was the dominating architecture and still likely is for a little while longer.
So you've decided that the entire computer market is X86. Okay. Had you said that only X86 counts in your world, then I'd have known you don't know a lot about computing overall and ignored you long ago.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: As well, you ignore how outfits like IBM do in fact implement X86 instruction sets in other hardware architectures. So again, it's still not just two manufacturers. Oops.
You'll have to cite that as far as I am aware IBM always bought their x86 CPU's from Intel since day 1.
Read up on their mainframe work. z/OS has done some interesting things with allowing for alternative instruction sets in their VMs for some years now. I think the iSeries has too. They have options for actual cards with other CPUS as well if you need.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: And your entire implication is that Intel got their marketshare SOLELY via suing people and patents.
Nope never said that. Everything you say after that is a non-sequitur. Lets put it this way, say you want in on the x86 market and you had all the investment, marketing, capex and design for the hardware: what would be your biggest hurdle?[/qupte]

In "how"? What, by making CPUs? Why the fuck would I waste my time on that? it's a shitty business to be in. Huge amounts of R&D that are focused on basically a single process, fab facilities that are billions of dollars to start, and require a constant flow of billions, error rates that even submarines and spacecraft don't need.

In addition, the x86 market is not where most of the growth is. It's actually pretty stagnant, the desktop and server sales show that. Mobile is where the real money is, and it's money you can make without needing more money than god or IBM.

My biggest hurdle would be in convincing my partners that I hadn't gone fucking stupid.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, and in any case, you're wrong about how many X86 manufacturers there are even in terms of actual chips. There's three.
Yes VIA. Not seen one in a while.

According to the pit of lies:

"On the basis of the IDT Centaur acquisition,[10] VIA appears to have come into possession of at least three patents, which cover key aspects of processor technology used by Intel. On the basis of the negotiating leverage these patents offered, in 2003 VIA arrived at an agreement with Intel that allowed for a ten year patent cross license, enabling VIA to continue to design and manufacture x86 compatible CPUs. VIA was also granted a three year grace period in which it could continue to use Intel socket infrastructure."

Well I guess that makes patents a good thing...ignoring the fact that was pretty much an act of blackmail.
Ah, so now they don't count because they aren't big enough. Goalpost moving and no true scotsman. Good job sonny.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Your ignorance is astounding.
Yawn.
welch wrote: No, all of IBM's operating systems are not flavors of BSD. Their mainframe and mini OSen are not even close to that.
Quick I'll go install that right now! oh wait!
Facts are SO inconvenient for you.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Aww, someone doesn't know what they're talking about. QNX is POSIX compatible
Since QNX is not a Microsoft competitor I ignored it. You brought it up but it doesn't apply.

From their website:

"QNX® products are designed for embedded systems running on various platforms, including ARM and x86, and a host of boards implemented in virtually every type of embedded environment. "

MS killed WinCE a while ago and have shown they no longer give two fucks about embedded systems since they had no previously installed base they were pretty powerless in this market. Hence why I didn't bring it up.
And redefining terms that you didn't clearly define at the outset so that you can dismiss inconvenient facts. OH, and you're still wrong even with your new terms. QNX is in the mobile phone space. Badly, because Blackberry's an idiot collective, but it is there. Who else is in the mobile space? Microsoft.

So they are in fact, a microsoft competitor. Now make sure you redefine so mobile doesn't count.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, I left off AIX. Not a Linux/BSD flavor.
AIX was pretty much dropped by IBM for Linux. I'm sure they do some stuff with it but the AIX writing on the wall was seen years ago.
yes. Given how little you know about IBM in general, I'm sure your opinion is based on a wealth of facts. That aren't really there.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: The IBM mainframes, now zSeries actually supports multiple operating systems, but the main one is z/OS, whose lineage predates, well, all of them. Including Linux and BSD.
Still was only talking about x86. :roll: Mainframes different market..somewhat smaller than the x86 market.
Oh you are *now*. Now you're narrowing shit as fast as possible because that's the only way you can turn the entire world of operating systems into Linux, BSD, and Windows. You're still wrong in that assertion, but you also dismiss SysV unixen because they don't sell enough to count and so forth.

I imagine with not much work I could get you to narrow it down to only one line from two specific platform vendors.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Oh, then there's OS 9, another embedded OS. not Unix.
Yes embedded, so was the amigaOS..lets see is it considered embedded because its used in embedded systems or because it was used on a CPU before the invention of virtual mode and the programmable memory controller?

Please I would just love to know which embedded systems are using OS9 in 2014. I would actually find that interesting.
Well, it won't actually matter, because now:

only desktop and certain server OS's count
Only x86 architecuture counts
Only sales over a certain number which of course, you've not provided counts
Only user numbers over a certain number, which you've not provided, counts
Only direct competitors of microsoft count. Except in Mobile and Embedded, those don't count. (did we forget MS competes actively in the embedded space? We must have, but luckily, that doesn't count either)

you go gurl.
LandSnark wrote:
welch wrote: Your lack of knowledge however, amuses the fuck out of me.
More yawn. Do you just yell until people go away so you can say you won? Or are you a Scientologist? Will you be asking my what my crimes are next?
welch wrote: It really helps when your points line up better with reality. Care to tell me again how all operating systems are windows/linux/bsd? Oh wait, is proving your point to be actually incorrect with real examples an ad hominem now?
My points still stand. Your edge cases still don't stack up to the mountain of the x86/Microsoft marketshare and I was referring to the x86 market in points about patents. The fact you keep bringing up ARM shows YOU may not have the depth of past knowledge you keep accusing me of not having.
tl;dr

"How dare you expect me to know more about computers than the one on my desk, and insist that any other kinds of computers count"

Ah, sweet, sweet intellectual dishonesty.

I bet you're a skeptic, aren't you.
This, tidies and fugelmen, is an example of why nested quotes are limited to a depth of three...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

zenbabe wrote:

And PZ?
PeeZus is fishing for sympathy and sycophantic birthday wishes:
I had such plans, such grand plans for today. We’re on spring break, and I am 100% caught up on my grading, so I have no obligations hanging over me. I had a list in my head:
Pancakes!
A little writing, off and on, on my big super secret project.
Build a model airplane. My daughter got me one as a souvenir of her trip to Japan, and my first thought was, “I haven’t built one of these since I was a teenager, 30 years ago”…and then I had to recalculate. 40 years ago. 40. So I was going to aggressively regress to a spotty gangling teen nerd today.
Cosmos on the TV tonight!
Doesn’t that sound relaxing? But no, instead I have come down with the Mother of All Colds, and I am hacking and weezing and got little sleep and am feeling miserable.
The dude always has some communicable disease; probably he should have his immune system function checked. Or just wash his hands more frequently.

Also, "big super secret project." :lol:

I flaunted my fitness privilege yesterday and ran 8 miles. Also signed up to start training for sprint triathlons, on top of the half-marathon training. Ugh, not looking forward to the cycling part though. ::holds nose::

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:
Gumby wrote:Congratulations to the Cyberdyne Systems WELCH-T1000 advanced prototype for still existing on the anniversary of its manufacture date.
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1127

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

spectator wrote:
I like to put on sweater first, too. Especially if it's a cute one that I didn't get a chance to wear much. But please understand that women have to deal with menopause symptoms and PMS which makes us break out into a sweat around the forehead for no reason but our feet remain ice cold.
<snip>
This. 1000 times this. The poikilotherm whose office is next to mine calls in facilities management at least once a month to adjust the temperature (we can't adjust the thermostats ourselves), which somehow always seems to make my office warmer. The poikilotherm also clears xir throat compulsively and makes goat noises. Eeehim, ehhhem, ehehehehmmmm, cackehhhhehhhcack.

It's currently a comfortable 65F chez BarnOwl. If I feel chilly, I put on a sweater or a handknit wrap/shawl/sweater. Two of the dogs are pretty fluffy, and the other has little sweaters I made for her.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Compare and contrast:

SNL Sketch, Jewelry Party
http://screen.yahoo.com/snl/jewelry-par ... 19751.html

SNL Sketch, Sexual Harassment and You:
http://screen.yahoo.com/sexual-harassme ... 00677.html

As the pit sadly observes, I am not a comedian, but I understand that the best comedy is built around painful truths, but truth, nevertheless

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Just want to take a moment to say that there are so many posts here that I appreciate, whether informative or funny or very pointed or whatnot. It would be nice to acknowledge them all but it would make the 'Pit twice as long (and that "Thanks!" button we tried for a while was a big no-go). Anyway, there have been several in the last page, not that there aren't usually several on every page; recently, those include several people's comments on abortion, Strawkins' link to the Parsehole twitter thing, Aneris being so even-handed in her wishing Happy Birthdays to two people who spend a lot of time at the 'Pit, oh and I learned a new meaning for "greek". :D

That's especially relevant heading into a reply to Steersman here, because I want to acknowledge things I previously just passed by, but noted: Dick Strawkins' comments on several occasions about his experiences working in a cytogenetics lab doing karyotypes (often for people with infertility, or for prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities) - very pertinent. Also, BillHamp's comments on evolution, which had me nodding, and then it seemed to me that Jan Steen's eagle-eyed comments back were mostly about specific wording or presentation, not a major disagremeent, and the two of you probably could have worked it out if you really had been sitting in a pub chatting over a brew.

Anyway:
Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:He's posted in FTB here in the thread at Lousy Canuck's entry about his talk. ....

Interesting and somewhat amusing. Also that Nick Gotts – a regular at Pharyngula if I’m not mistaken – wasn’t particularly impressed either with HJ’s “sex is a social construct” “thesis”:
Gotts wrote:<snipped the comment disagreeing w/ hjhornbeck's view of 'sex'>
Not quite sure what his beef with essentialism is, but his “reality of distinctions” seems credible. But relative to which, I wonder whether you or others more knowledgeable than I on the topic could tell me whether there is any evidence at all that any of the genotypes other than X-Y and X-X are viable in the sense of being able to contribute to procreation. Seems to me, as I think I mentioned in one of the comments in Ally’s thread, that the sine qua non of sexual reproduction – and therefore sex – is that it requires two diploid individuals capable of generating haploid gametes that are complementary and capable of generating a viable zygote. Which tends, I think, to cut the legs out from under HJ’s “thesis”, and his bogus analogy with Newtonian mechanics.
Some people with "intersex" conditions and karyotype abnormalities in the sex chromosomes can procreate. I'm mostly going to focus on women below because that's what I know best.

Considerations, part A: To procreate, people have to have "working parts" (ovary, Fallopian tube, uterus; testis, vas deferens, whatever else it is that men need) - that developed during embryogenesis - and a reasonable hormonal milieu; the latter can be given pharmaceutically, the former can't. (Well, at least to procreate without intensive intervention from an infertility lab or, in the future, a lab that does cloning, that is.)

Considerations, part B: People who have working parts are much less likely to come to medical attention & be diagnosed with a chromosomal, genetic, or developmental disorder. For girls/women, failure to experience menarche (onset of menses) in teenage years is a common trigger for evaluation leading to diagnosis of one of the disorders of sex development. But a woman who do menstruate may be less likely to be diagnosed with a condition in which her biological sex isn't "normal" (XX in all cells, or whatever) even if later she has trouble getting pregnant, or carrying a pregnancy.

Considerations, part C: I've said before that all cells (all nucleated, somatic cells) in a person carry the same chromosomes. I must now confess that that was an oversimplification, ignoring mosaicism (from an error of chromosomal separation in cell division) and chimerism (from cells from 2 genetically distinct organisms, say 2 zygotes in the same uterus, merging into 1 organism; may not be as rare as that link says it is).

The gonads, for example, can have a normal karyotype, while most of the rest of the body has a chromosomal abnormality but the same genes. Or the gonads can be genetically distinct from most of the rest of the body, with a normal karyotype in each cell (XX in all cells, or XY in all cells, or XX in some cells and XY in some cells, depending on the circumstances).

Gotta get going to work, but I hope that takes a stab at answering your question.

Couple of abstracts (none w/ freely accessible papers, sorry) about fertility in a couple of conditions w/ abnormalities of chromosomes:
Phenotypic differences in mosaic Klinefelter patients as compared with non-mosaic Klinefelter patients
And, Fertility in Klinefelter syndrome (focuses on treatment)
Procreation in Turner's syndrome

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Thank you.
History is rhyming again. The US should rename the destroyer the Panther.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JacquesCuze wrote:Compare and contrast:

As the pit sadly observes, I am not a comedian, but I understand that the best comedy is built around painful truths, but truth, nevertheless
LOL, while wincing

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:I think the hjoomin race has an obligation to throw Putin and his buddies into the alligator pit.
Why? Is it because Putin ended the Neo-liberal economic experiment when Yeltsin left? Or being pissed off and not kowtowing to NATO/America when they try to surround Russia with bases? Or those failed Velvet Revolutions in the early 2000's? Ukraine being one of them. Or could it be now and not wanting a bunch of right-wing nuts next door in the Ukraine?

Ya, I can't think of why Russia would have a problem with the right given that small war that they involved in during the 1940's.

Putin is hardly a saint, but he isn't the devil as portrayed by Western propaganda either. Russia's domestic business, is just that, Russia's.

welch

Post by welch »

Sulaco wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:I think the hjoomin race has an obligation to throw Putin and his buddies into the alligator pit.
Why? Is it because Putin ended the Neo-liberal economic experiment when Yeltsin left? Or being pissed off and not kowtowing to NATO/America when they try to surround Russia with bases? Or those failed Velvet Revolutions in the early 2000's? Ukraine being one of them. Or could it be now and not wanting a bunch of right-wing nuts next door in the Ukraine?

Ya, I can't think of why Russia would have a problem with the right given that small war that they involved in during the 1940's.

Putin is hardly a saint, but he isn't the devil as portrayed by Western propaganda either. Russia's domestic business, is just that, Russia's.
it's russia's until they start rolling over other sovereign countries. Then it is not just "russia's" business.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Skep tickle wrote: gonads
:lol:

you said gonads

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

welch wrote:
Sulaco wrote:

it's russia's until they start rolling over other sovereign countries. Then it is not just "russia's" business.
It still isn't our business, it becomes Ukraine's problems not the West's. Going to war for the Ukraine so they can keep the Crimea which a majority (well 58%) want to split off is foolish at best.

Really, sending troops to die in some far off place for what some ridiculous principle? When we're (the West) are guilty of doing that in the past decade in Iraq?

The cost in lives, treasure, what remains of a tattered economy are magnitudes more important than a nation splitting even if a greater power is instrumental in making it split.

Russia is stupid for creating a zero-sum game in the region, but we are even stupider if we choose to get involved.

windy

Post by windy »

zenbabe wrote:
The argument for abortion on demand is essentially "women must have the right to absolute freedom of action without consequence". I can't think of any other group of people who have that right or any other circumstance where that right applies, so it's not an equality argument at all. I could see an equality argument if men could knock women up and abandon them without consequence, but we can't anymore, if we ever could. It's just an "anything a woman wants is a priori right" argument.
Biology dictates that decision to women only, just can't get around it, and any laws that try or actually do get round it bug me. Anyway, I suspect that if men were the ones to get pregnant, if Hornbeck's biology were true, they'd want the same ability to decide that on their own.
Biology also dictates that women can't safely terminate a pregnancy without outside help. I'm in favor of extensive abortion rights but that's a decision for society, not a simple consequence of biology.

John D

Post by John D »

Proof of the ineffectiveness of slacktivism.
http://orgtheory.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/slacktivism/

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Skep tickle wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Compare and contrast:

LOL, while wincing
I found the first sketch, the MRA sketch, to be forgettable propaganda that won't be remembered beyond Wednesday. And almost entirely filled with dishonest representations of MRA positions. It's difficult to say it wasn't funny, because that often sounds like butt hurt. Feminists say that a great deal about various rape jokes. "Oh, I don't mind rape jokes, but Tosh's rape joke wasn't even funny." (http://jezebel.com/5925186/how-to-make-a-rape-joke) But the problem is, the first skit wasn't funny. (Was it?)

Also, is it racist for Illinois born, privileged white (*) daughter of AP Bureau Chief Cecily Strong to put on a thick stereotyped hispanic accent and portray dim immigrant from Venezuela who is so dumb as to not understand what her boyfriend actions are doing and to whom, or is so sexist that she lets his looks justify her dumping him, or is so craven and malleable as to allow peer pressure to force her to break up with him?

The first sketch was annoying, but only because it worked as propaganda. It was heavy handed, unfunny, and dishonest.

The second sketch is a classic. It trusted the audience to get the joke, and touched on some interesting truths about the ambiguity of sexual harassment claims.

(Or it could just be me....)

(*) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... idy-bryant
http://i.imgur.com/v7SAp0v.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

Sulaco wrote:
welch wrote:
It still isn't our business, it becomes Ukraine's problems not the West's. Going to war for the Ukraine so they can keep the Crimea which a majority (well 58%) want to split off is foolish at best.

Really, sending troops to die in some far off place for what some ridiculous principle? When we're (the West) are guilty of doing that in the past decade in Iraq?

The cost in lives, treasure, what remains of a tattered economy are magnitudes more important than a nation splitting even if a greater power is instrumental in making it split.

Russia is stupid for creating a zero-sum game in the region, but we are even stupider if we choose to get involved.
If Austrians Crimeans want to be part of Germany Russia, let them be.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Southern wrote:
Hey, if we're doing lazy WWII analogies, then surely the Yanks need to hang around doing fuck all for a couple of years before being forced into joining in.

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:
Southern wrote:
Hey, if we're doing lazy WWII analogies, then surely the Yanks need to hang around doing fuck all for a couple of years before being forced into joining in.
It depends; how much time until Putin asks for Poland?

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Sulaco wrote:

Thank you.
History is rhyming again. The US should rename the destroyer the Panther.
Did you fail geography, or do you not realize that Ukraine is also the "West"'s backyard? Unless the "West"= US, which is certainly true among most american navel gazers, or more accurately US= THE UNIVERSE.
And yes, history is certainly rhyming again. A fascist nation uses it's state controlled media to pump out bullshit propaganda about how their "race" is being opressed and at danger of ethnic cleansing in the territory owned by another sovereign nation, then invade and annex it under the guise of "protecting" their "race" from "opression". And little Neville Chamberlains fall over themselves to excuse it or dismiss the country being dismembered as "not worth it anyways, who gives a shit about the Ukraine amright?".

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Yep, Goodies vs Baddies. I hope the good guys win.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Sulaco wrote:

He's a fascist dictator using racial ideology to push for more geopolitical power. Not to mention the only reason there are even ethnic russians in Crimea in the first place is because of the Soviet policy of russification, i.e deporting all the tatars that lived there and flooding it with russian immigrants, but I suppose ethnic cleansing and a policy of cultural eradication of all things non-russian was totally justified, because after all they fought nazis, so everything is permitted and excuseable now. Pretty much the same thing that happened or was happening to all the soviet "republics" on their border. The Baltic states got it slightly less worse, but there's still sizeable russian minorities, who strangely enough have yet to be "opressed" and ethnically cleansed as the russian media so emphatically argues is what Ukrainians are trying to achieve by closer relations with the EU. Yes, that's why Maidan happened, the ultimate goal was ethnically cleansing all russians out of Ukraine. That's literally what is commonly argued in russian "media". Do you read cyrrilic?

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

bhoytony wrote:Yep, Goodies vs Baddies. I hope the good guys win.
Even back when Hitler did it it wasn't "goodies vs baddies". The allies were colonialist, imperialist war mongers. They still weren't fascists though. When I say Russia is fascist I'm not casting a moral judgement upon their government, merely being descriptive.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Sulaco wrote:Russia is stupid for creating a zero-sum game in the region, but we are even stupider if we choose to get involved.
*cough*

I doubt that Russia was too amused at the US involvement in installing a puppet regime. Nuland said "Fuck the EU" as regards to the European role in trying to manage the crisis.

Anyway, listen to the intercepted phone call and make up your own mind.

[youtube]CL_GShyGv3o[/youtube]

BTW ... anyone remember Georgia invading South Ossington? No? I seem to recall the media brushing over that an making a lot of noise when they got kicked out of and invaded by Russia in response. The media seemed to do a good job of avoiding mention that the Georgian troops had US military support (uniforms and training) shortly before that happened.

Bottom line if it is not hard to see why Putin would be pissed. The US is fucking around in his back yard and has been for some time.

I am not going to be surprised if the Crimera with the Russian base is split off from Ukraine either (although some may argue that it effectively is already.

Whatever man. Fuck.

*shrug*

Russia is not South America ... if the US keeps provoking Russia shit is going to hit the fan.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Fucking ell ... did I say South Ossington when I meant South Ossetia?

I know there is essientially no difference in many respects but Yumping Yimminy man .... what a time for my EDIT BUTTON to break.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Guest wrote:
welch wrote:
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1127
[youtube]3P_lpbLME84[/youtube]

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

No, you merely don't understand that Russia under Putin has very clear geopolitical goals, and is merely taking advantage of situations as they present themselves. The "West" leaving them alone or not won't fucking change anything. This may surprise you but other nations in the world sometimes do things of their own accord and of their own volition without your fucking country having anything to do with it one way or another.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

It's a good job all the fascists are on the Russian side in the Ukraine isn't it

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

"The book has had a large influence within the Russian military, police, and statist foreign policy elites[1] and is used as a textbook in the General Staff Academy of Russian military"

"Georgia should be dismembered. Abkhazia and "United Ossetia" (which includes Georgia's South Ossetia) will be incorporated into Russia. Georgia's independent policies are unacceptable.[1]"

"Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as an independent state with certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is sanitary cordon, which would be inadmissible.[1]"

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

bhoytony wrote:It's a good job all the fascists are on the Russian side in the Ukraine isn't it
No, just the vast majority of them, including the largest number of neo-nazi gangs on the entire planet. Which is why russian crocodile tears about evil ukrainian nazis just makes me chortle condescendingly, as it should anyone even slightly familiar with either country. But sure, tell me more about how the Ukrainian interim government is totally just a nest of fascists and anti-semitic right wingers, while simultaneously and unironically saying what put them in power was a western zionist plot. Then you might have almost as much cognitive dissonance as russian "media".