Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
BillHamp

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by BillHamp »

So I thought I take a minute to weigh in on two issues the SJWs have brought up. I have not patience for FtB, A+, etc., so I never engage them. Some of you do have that masochistic streak, however, so you'll relate. The first topic is sex, which is to say how physicial gender may differ from one's gender identity. This rant comes courtesy of Schala, who seems to know next to nothing about biology. The following quote confirms it and I will dissect it, piece by piece to make several points about biology. I will say that most you already know this stuff, but I feel obliged to say it anyway just in case someone from FtB is lurking here and accidently educates xe's self.

Let me say before doing that, that while I don't expect any particular person to know the intricacies of sex determination (at least to the limits of current knowledge), I find it peculiar that Schala thinks xe can lecture us all because of xe's lived experience. Well, there are two sides to every story and in this case there is science and there is experience. I would think that Schala would want to understand the biology so as to be able to educate others, but it is clear that xe doesn't. That said, I do empathize with the pain that Schala has probably experienced. That won't stop me from correcting xe's egrigious medical mistakes though.
My physiology is that of a tall child. No developed hips. No developed shoulders.
First off, no. Your stature is that of a tall child. Your physiology is closer to that of someone your age. If you are past your teens, your growth plates are fused. You've clearly gone through puberty, which children do not, and you have acne, which is an adult problem. Your physiology is that of an adult. Stature is a result of a number of complex factors interacting with one another. Your sex chromosome makeup is but one. Autosomes influence stature as do diet, illness, etc.

That brings me to an important point. Though you need a Y chromosome to be a male, it isn't all you need. We would say it is necessary, but not sufficient. I'll come back to this.
Not much of an Adam’s apple (not prominent, hence not noticeable – and contrary to popular belief, everyone has one, it only becomes visible through testosterone). My arms, legs, hands and feet are right in-between male and female norms, which makes them underdeveloped for a male standard. My bone-size is rather small, on the very low end of the male standard, and right in the teenage female norm. My voice is androgynous, and can be taken as being of either sex, it all falls on the way I speak it, softly or rashly.
Most of this is drivel. Anyone who lies anywhere on the gender spectrum could say these same things. Many males have high voices and females low voices. What I am saying is that NONE of this makes a person transgendered.

As to the Adam's apple, well Wiki can answer that:

"Another function of the laryngeal prominence is related to the deepening of the voice. During adolescence, the thyroid cartilage grows together with the larynx. Consequently, the laryngeal prominence grows in size mainly in men. Together, a larger soundboard is made up in phonation apparatus and, as a result, the man gets a deeper tone."

The point there is that some women do have large laryngeal prominences and they aren't transgendered. Moving on.
Body hair is sparse, especially for someone who had normal T levels through to age 24. No armpit hair period (rare in any adult). No chest hair. And very sparse facial hair, I guess it’s much for a woman, but I can shave it and no one’s the wiser for about 2 days.

My genitals are clearly on the male side, if underdeveloped. The testis are small, but apparently normal. The penis is over 1 standard deviation below the norm, but still a bit above micropenis.

If phenotype includes the first paragraph, it points to “neither”, if it includes the second, it points to “underdeveloped male”.
Now we are getting somewhere. Testosterone is again necessary, but not sufficient. One must also have the receptors necessary to interact with T and an intact cascade of chemical messengers to carry out that response. We are talking literally hundreds, if not thousands, of steps in the process. Normal T means nothing if there are no receptors to respond to it.

Those receptors are not all coded for on the Y chromosome. In fact, many are coded for on autosomes. That is why you can be 46 X,Y and have a female appearance, voice, genitals, etc.

Androgen insensitivity syndrome (ARS) means your cells don't respond to androgen (male hormones). This prevents development of male secondary sex characteristics WITHOUT impairing female development. This is how you get 46 X,Y females. Schala doesn't fall into this category as far as I can tell.

There is also a hormon, called anti-mullerian hormone (AMH), that inhibits female genital production in males. If you don't have it or don't respond to it, then you can end up with more ambiguous genitalia. AMH is coded for on chromosome 19, an autosome.

I could go on, but the point is made. Schala drones on about T as if that were the only thing making the determination. I get the impression that xe thinks it is a magical process and not biology and therefore xe can makeup anything and science has to accept it. Emotionally, I support Schala in coping with xe's life in anyway xe sees fit. Scientifically, I support following the evidence and nothing else.
While my hormonal profile is that of a woman on HRT, though I guess I have lower testosterone, since mine is at absolute zero due to cyproterone actetate. My body is unable to process/accept testosterone (rejects most of it as acne and other ‘exits’ for excess hormones). My mind is unable to process/accept testosterone (causes extreme suicidal depression, lack of will to live, and other fun stuff).

This is all biological.
Wrong. Your mind doesn't process T, no one's mind does. T does, however affect brain development. Being insensitive to T in the genitals may mean one is also insensitive to T on neurons as well. The result is different brain development, which serves to emphasize something SJWs DON'T want to emphasize, which is that there are differences in how people think that are predicated upon gender. Schala has just nicely demonstrated that to us.

Continuing on. The "rejection" of T does not manifest as acne. That might be the stupidest, least scientific thing xe has said so far. What strikes me as odd is that Schala said xe's T is 0, so how does xe rectify that statement with the statement about T comng out as acne? That's an utter and complete fail. The state of one's pores is determined by a host of factors, of which T is only one. The development of acne is poorly understood at best. What Shala has said is just further evidence of the pseudoscience xe applies to drum up sympathy and prevent people from challenging xe's opinions.

The biology is amazingly complex, which brings me to the final point and the one that Schala has inadvertently proved for all of us. THERE ARE SEX DIFFERENCES. The process is complicated, so it doesn't work out the same for everyone all of the time. In general, however, the majority of the population divides based on chromosomal sex. X,Y = male and X,X = female. It doesn't have to be that way, as Schala has demonstrated. What allows us to say there are TWO sexes are a host of factors including:
1. The fact that most humans do physicially and emotionally show traits of their chromosomal sex,
2. The same can be said for most mammals, reptiles, birds, plants, and even some microbes. The point being that the pattern is repeated again and again throughout nature and where it is not, we can clearly point to chromosomal reasons for it.
3. We can trace the differences in people who don't develop down the standard path. It's "bad" to call them abnormal because that term has taken on a negative connotation, but there development is abnormal in the sense that it doesn't follow the general pattern that the majority does. That doesn't make it wrong or bad, just different. In fact, those differences teach us a whole lot about biology and why is works the way it does.

That's enough. I wish Schala well in hormone therapy. Xe should educate xe's self though. Xe could really help people understand biology better, rather than muddying the waters with xe's pseudoscientific BS.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Next rant. This one regards the "creepy" stalker.

I have noticed that what a guy does is "creepy" or not based on how much the other party is interested in him. Had Kitty found this guy attractive, I dare say she would have invited his advances and never gone down the route of public shaming. What makes this obivious to me is the fact that she doesn't really go off on him until she confirms who he is. It is clear that she was waiting to fly off the handle until she was sure it was someone she wasn't interested in.

At that point, she pulled a Rebecca Watson. She defined a behavior that is ambiogous as creepy. In other words, the guy's behavior could be seen as creepy, but it could also be seen as endearing. How many stories have we all heard of the persistent guy who tracks a girl down, has friends set up chance meetings, brings flowers, and basically stalks her before she says yes and they live happily ever after? We've all heard those stories because half the time it is our grandparents. It goes the other way too, with women stalking men and them living happily ever after. The only difference between those people and Kitty is in how THEY choose to define creepy.

She is forcing her definition of creepy onto a person simply because she isn't interested. Not only is that a double standard, it demonstrates a complete lack of both empathy and sympathy. The guy took a chance on a girl he was attracted to. He did it awkwardly, but he put his feelings out there. Rather than just say "sorry, not interested," she chose to go ballistic because that made HER feel superior, that earned HER some SJW credibility, that gave HER something to talk about. What he expressed were his feelings and he did it in the only way he knew how. It may not be the way Kitty wanted it, but that doesn't make it wrong or creepy.

She also foists upon this guy a huge amount of personal baggage of her own. All I can say to Christopher Ryan, if he is listen, is that you dodged a bullet my friend. You probably feel like shit, but take into account that fact that Kitty is a complete and total asshole. You just saved yourself from month, years, or even a lifetime of being treated in person like she just treated you on the Internet. You don't need a toxic, inconsiderate, emotionally damaged person like that in your life. You'll find a girl who shares your interests and when you do, she'll wonder what is wrong with Kitty that could have caused her to treat you the way she did. You stumbled into a hornet's nest of SJWism and you got stung. Be thankful that is all you got. Consider it a lesson in the type of person to avoid in the future.

Finally, I'd like to point out that Kitty says "If you have to tell somebody you're a nice guy, you're doing something wrong. Or you're not actually a nice guy, your a pushy fucking creap leaving in a fantasy world where girls fit...." It's funny that she makes all kinds of judgements about the guy after stating previously that they are strangers and he can't possibly know anything about her and be able to say all the things he says. How the fuck does she know anything about him then? What makes her think that if his 5-minute in person conversation with her didn't reveal that she's a psychotic asshole that her less than 5-minute interaction on the Internet could reveal anything about him?

All of this makes clear that her response was calculated to earn her some attention. Christopher just happened to be the vehicle for tirade. It could have been any guy (provided she knew for sure she wasn't interested) and he just happened to be in the wrong place when Kitty decided she should take offense so as to get some attention. The good news is that Kitty will always be miserable. She will always treat people this way and so always end up feeling like shit. It is justice, in a way.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Heh. Amanda Marcotte is getting whaled by her sisters-in-arms
Quit fat-shaming you privileged rape-apologist doodbro!
Stop appropriating prinny culture, dood! That's their word, not yours.

http://i.imgur.com/8XWx6ai.jpg

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Thanks a lot Mykeru. But of note, it was just one drunken night out of a good run of sober days (Gefan, open your mog about my beer-drinking at 9:00am, and I'll hunt you down! Ooops!)...
Wasn't going to say a thing :whistle:

What was more surprising was how much more more damaged you were than me by the evening spent murdering a bottle of scotch plus sundry other beverages. Especially, considering that I'm kind of a lightweight these days (having been pretty much retired for several years now from drinking more than a glass of wine with dinner most nights).

John D

Post by John D »

Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
And stop fucking drinking. Remember where you were a few months ago? You're feeling better now, aren't you? For now. One of the hardest things about breaking people of self-destructive habits like drinking to excess is humans have a difficult time remembering the pain. You remember vaguely, in the abstract but lose the immediacy.

Makes sense from a survival standpoint. If you really relieved the pain of breaking your leg, you'd never take another risk. Conditions like PTSD circumvent the filters and the person really relieves the trauma. So, of course, you half-forgot how desperately sick you were.

Don't wait until you feel like shit again, someone smashes your face in, or some drunk chick makes a scene that really sticks.

Alcohol figures in at least 1/3 of murders, 1/2 of rapes, a shitload of traffic deaths, etc: http://alcoholicsvictorious.org/faq/impact. Using my experience as a measure, I bet like 90% of the bad shit that's happened in your life was alcohol related.

/Lecture. Because I care.
Thanks a lot Mykeru. But of note, it was just one drunken night out of a good run of sober days (Gefan, open your mog about my beer-drinking at 9:00am, and I'll hunt you down! Ooops!).

I don't drive (scared shitless of cars and car rides. Accident where I almost lost my legs age 14), I don't murder (snicky cops are way too efficient) and I never rape (consensual is way better).

Oh dear, my head hurts!
Good.

Every alkie can drink sensibly. You can go out, have a couple and give yourself the illusion of control. That's what problem drinkers seek: To convince themselves they can drink like everyone else.

Of course, when you play Russian Roulette you hit an empty chamber 5 out of 6 times. The problem is if you convince yourself that can happen indefinitely.

/Lecture (to be continued)
I simply consider myself a drinker. I drink five out of seven days a week typically. Two days a week I fast and workout and don't drink. I figure my liver needs a break. I guess I have my own definitions for drinking as outlined below:

As a "drinker" I find that drinking and feeling the effects of drinking are a pleasure in my life. If I want to keep this pleasure I have to control the amount I drink and make sure it doesn't fuck up the rest of my life. I normally am dedicated to tracking the amount I drink and finding the sweet spot in my mental condition. I do not become hostile. I do not drink and drive. I do, however, really enjoy drinking. It is in my top five... right up there with sex, sleep, and eating a good steak.

"Alcoholism" is best defined as a physical addiction to alcohol. As far as I can tell I do not have this condition. I have often stopped drinking for a week at a time with no ill effects. It does not even seem to affect my sleeping.

My father is an alcoholic. Also, he almost ruined his business and marriage because he couldn't be a "drinker". He became what I consider a "drunk", who is someone who drinks regularly to excess and destroys the rest of their life. To a drunk, life is all about getting the next drink. He went to AA when my mom said she was going to leave him. AA worked for him, he got really religious, and hasn't had a drink in 40 years. He is 86 years old now.

So, I have decided to be a "drinker". I think I am not an "alcoholic". I will do my best to avoid become a "drunk". Wish me luck.

John D

Post by John D »

welch wrote:
another lurker wrote:With the right makeup, hair and lighting she actually does pass as 'conventionally attractive'. The body, not so much, though.
It's a great trap.

If you look, and you like it, you're a perv and probably a rapist.

If you look, and you don't like it, you're fat/age/slut shaming

If you don't look, you're a prude, and PATRIARCHY

Really, there's no action that can be taken from this other than a carefully timed glance and effusive praise for her "bravery" and "self-esteem" that is "acceptable".

She really IS learning from Watson. This may be the richest drama vein she's ever hit.
I have never seen a woman her age take so many selfies. Perhaps she has some kind of mental or personality disorder. I feel sorry for her in a way. If she were a family member I would try to play to role of the wise stable uncle and nudge some advice her way.

The problem is that people with what might be nacisism are able to dominate the social media sphere. In the good ole days you could just walk away from these people and they would never even drop into your life. You could play the wise uncle role at Xmas and Birthday parties and otherwise never have to see them. The new media has given these distrubed and distructive people too much power. They are able to flood the space that used to be reserved for accomplished people. Books were often only published if they were good. Now... loons have a platform.

I love the interblog... but it is a blessing and a curse.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

OK

I'm back - what did I miss?

I blame Mykeru for this. His videos are Slymepitenableist

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

One of the nice things about being a perpetually underage KiTTY is that I don't drink, ever. My system cannot tolerate alcohol, so I stay far and away from it and feel no temptation whatsoever. I'm flaunting my alcohol-free privilege, aren't I? :dance:

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Heh. Amanda Marcotte is getting whaled by her sisters-in-arms
Quit fat-shaming you privileged rape-apologist doodbro!
Stop appropriating prinny culture, dood! That's their word, not yours.

http://i.imgur.com/8XWx6ai.jpg
Technically, their word is d00d.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

I consider myself a drinker too

I like drinking booze that actually tastes nice - there are some fantastic ales, wines and whiskeys out there and I like to indulge once in a while plus I really like being drunk, its fun.

I agree with John D - if anything in my life was actually suffering as a result of my drinking then that would be another matter entirely. I don't drink too much during the week - I've turned up at work with hangovers and it is the worst thing ever, I do my best to avoid that at all costs!

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My ear was culturally appropriated by a very drunk lady last night at the pub. It still hurts this morning. (had something to do with being drunk as shit and trying to intervene between her and a bouncer. Bouncer was nice enough. She wasn't.)

Note to meself: don't go out anymore!
And stop fucking drinking. Remember where you were a few months ago? You're feeling better now, aren't you? For now. One of the hardest things about breaking people of self-destructive habits like drinking to excess is humans have a difficult time remembering the pain. You remember vaguely, in the abstract but lose the immediacy.

Makes sense from a survival standpoint. If you really relieved the pain of breaking your leg, you'd never take another risk. Conditions like PTSD circumvent the filters and the person really relieves the trauma. So, of course, you half-forgot how desperately sick you were.

Don't wait until you feel like shit again, someone smashes your face in, or some drunk chick makes a scene that really sticks.

Alcohol figures in at least 1/3 of murders, 1/2 of rapes, a shitload of traffic deaths, etc: http://alcoholicsvictorious.org/faq/impact. Using my experience as a measure, I bet like 90% of the bad shit that's happened in your life was alcohol related.

Seconded, all of this. My 10 year sobriety anniversary is coming up in June (normally I don't give a fuck about anniversaries, but 10 years is understandably momentous for me) and I am so grateful that all that misery I inflicted upon myself for so many years is but a speck in my rearview mirror. Gotta say though, I still occasionally get mad at myself for doing all the irreversible damage to my life that I did. Nothing can be done about that now, though.
Congrats. I'm a few weeks from my 8 years.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

welch wrote:
dogen wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Pretty fucking convenient that "whites don't have a traditional ancestral culture, and black people/other minority groups can never be accused of racism for stealing from it."

My ancestry includes Polish, German, Scots-Irish and English. I bet I could find any number of things associated with those cultures which people of other races have stolen. But the thing is, I'm not a racist, so I don't actually care. Only racists care about shit like that.

Getting angry about white people with dreadlocks is like getting angry that a black guy likes reading comics about Thor.
Which nicely brings us full-circle to the shit-fit Stormfront had when Heimdall was played by Idris Elba.
or the current shitfit about a black Human Torch.
the biggest annoyance about that is they didnt make sue black as well, as the sibling dynamic was always important in the comic and i highly doubt theyll provide any time or attention to meaningfully present a mixed race family in this manner, defy conventions (johnny will be the adopted one, and it will be a throwaway detail), or that they would meaningfully present an adopted sibling bond

always room to be surprised but i highly doubt it

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:I am listening to Me So Horny right now. Damn, I would love if Max Raabe would do a cover of the song:(
He did Sex Bomb.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:or the current shitfit about a black Human Torch.
Not that Fox would have the stones to do this, but it would be hilarious if at some point someone in the movie asks "Are you two adopted, or step-siblings?" to which Sue and Johnny respond "Nope".

Because invisibility and flying flame-people is less implausible than two siblings having different levels of melanin.
totally, and that would be hiLARious.
sadly i dont see them being that smart about it either

Git

Post by Git »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
didymos wrote:What in the....
Uncomfortable? No. Baffled? Yes.
Ms. Andery is difficult to understand because she is a very deep person.
For instance her slam poetry masterpiece "Poop Poop Poop, Wiener Wiener Wiener!"
You wienered, m'lud?

[youtube]WYIOB8XwNxs[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

BillHamp wrote:Next rant. This one regards the "creepy" stalker.

I have noticed that what a guy does is "creepy" or not based on how much the other party is interested in him. Had Kitty found this guy attractive, I dare say she would have invited his advances and never gone down the route of public shaming. What makes this obivious to me is the fact that she doesn't really go off on him until she confirms who he is. It is clear that she was waiting to fly off the handle until she was sure it was someone she wasn't interested in.
you know, that's sometimes true, but not enough to be the trope it is. I've seen a lot of what would generally be considered good-looking guys get turned down for being creepy or any other reason. Some women are kind of shallow, as are some men. what a shock.

And yes, she's trying to find out how this guy found out about her. That seems to be a reasonable thing to do. "Holy shit, it's a con creeper. Wait, I need to find out how he found out about me, so I can put a goddamned halt to that too." If someone is really stalking you or similar, you're going to want to know how they are finding out info so you can maybe do something about that. I know it's often difficult, but sometimes, (and I know there's no fun in this), but sometimes allowing for inconvenient conclusions seems to be a big part of this "skepticism" thing you all think is so fucking important.

Yet, in every example like this, (and this is not the first one on the pit), the reaction from y'all is the same, and it's the perfect mirror image of the feminist one. Instead of the woman being able to do no wrong, now it's the guy.

Maybe you, like watson and PZ, should stop abusing "skepticism" or just admit it's not all that important to you.
BillHamp wrote:At that point, she pulled a Rebecca Watson. She defined a behavior that is ambiogous as creepy. In other words, the guy's behavior could be seen as creepy, but it could also be seen as endearing. How many stories have we all heard of the persistent guy who tracks a girl down, has friends set up chance meetings, brings flowers, and basically stalks her before she says yes and they live happily ever after? We've all heard those stories because half the time it is our grandparents. It goes the other way too, with women stalking men and them living happily ever after. The only difference between those people and Kitty is in how THEY choose to define creepy.
So because person A found said behavior endearing, no one else is allowed to have a different opinion. Awesome. Fuck, let's just apply that to all kinds of things then.

and yes, "creepy" is a highly subjective concept. Just like "handsome" or "funny". It is *entirely* possible that a woman who is not Kitty might find that behavior to be absolutely romantic, instead of clingy, needy, and attention-starved. She'd not be wrong for her feelings on that EITHER, even though they aren't Kitty's.

Kitty however is not impressed with this behavior, and since we're not talking about every person on the planet, but rather one specific one, what someone else might think of this is somewhat immaterial. (PEOPLE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME. THIS MAY BE SCARY, BUT IT'S TRUE!)

Kitty does in fact have the right to her feelings, just like (AGGGGH) Watson does. To go back to EG yet again, I, and i'm pretty sure i'm not alone, never had a problem with how Rebecca Watson felt about EG's advances. (let us set aside the 'did he exist' issue, the evidence either way is essentially non-existent.) I don't have to agree with her takeway, or "guys don't do that", and I don't, but she is not wrong in her feelings about it. Kitty isn't demanding all men behave this way, she's telling one specific man to fuck off, and her greatest sin is that she's not being "nice" about it.

O.

Noes.

Teh Horrorz. Teh Horrorz.
BillHamp wrote:She is forcing her definition of creepy onto a person simply because she isn't interested. Not only is that a double standard, it demonstrates a complete lack of both empathy and sympathy. The guy took a chance on a girl he was attracted to. He did it awkwardly, but he put his feelings out there. Rather than just say "sorry, not interested," she chose to go ballistic because that made HER feel superior, that earned HER some SJW credibility, that gave HER something to talk about. What he expressed were his feelings and he did it in the only way he knew how. It may not be the way Kitty wanted it, but that doesn't make it wrong or creepy.
How dare a person who is not you, with a different background and worldview react to a situation in a way you wouldn't have. What a cunt.
BillHamp wrote:She also foists upon this guy a huge amount of personal baggage of her own. All I can say to Christopher Ryan, if he is listen, is that you dodged a bullet my friend. You probably feel like shit, but take into account that fact that Kitty is a complete and total asshole. You just saved yourself from month, years, or even a lifetime of being treated in person like she just treated you on the Internet. You don't need a toxic, inconsiderate, emotionally damaged person like that in your life. You'll find a girl who shares your interests and when you do, she'll wonder what is wrong with Kitty that could have caused her to treat you the way she did. You stumbled into a hornet's nest of SJWism and you got stung. Be thankful that is all you got. Consider it a lesson in the type of person to avoid in the future.
You know what, if you remove all your own personal butthurt over this, the core of your advice is good. Kitty clearly isn't a good fit for this guy.

But you can't stop there. You have to make sure, based on...nothing. I mean shit, you haven't even interacted with her to the insanely limited degree you interact with anyone on this forum who you ONLY know through this forum, and yet, you know everything about her.

it's funny. You're bagging on her for not "taking the nicer option" for not "trying to see the good in him", for "not being understanding" and yet you are guilty of all of that. Here's someone working in the lower circles of retail hell, aka Hot Topic. Now, i know putting oneself in someone else's shoes is something only other people do, but try to imagine working retail in the store where all the fuckwit emo/goth dipshits shop. Try to imagine the amount of pretentious nerd assholes kitty has to deal with. Every Day.

A comic book store isn't as bad, because Hot Topic has that "ooooh, SEXAH" shit going on that comic book stores don't. Seriously. Hot. Topic. Fitting. Rooms. <brrrr>

Now, as we note from her final response, she'd just moved. Moving, even just down the street, is a really stressful experience. Especially if you can't just take days off, or you don't have access to a truck or moving van, and you have to drag that shit in cars. It fucking sucks, and it will put you in a right bad mood.

So you're moving, and you finally get done. And you finally get some fucking internet and you go on facebook to just catch up, or maybe put the "OH DEAR GOD, IT'S FINALLY FUCKING DONE" and what do you see?

Christopher Ryan's bullshit. Someone you probably don't remember, because in a Hot Topic, dips like him are every 4th customer, is spamming your fucking IM, and getting whiny that you haven't fucking responded.

I may not FULLY agree with her response, but I can absolutely, sure as shit UNDERSTAND it.

Funny how you demand understanding FROM her, but refuse to have any FOR her. Maybe you should start living up to the standards you demand of others?
BillHamp wrote:Finally, I'd like to point out that Kitty says "If you have to tell somebody you're a nice guy, you're doing something wrong. Or you're not actually a nice guy, your a pushy fucking creap leaving in a fantasy world where girls fit...." It's funny that she makes all kinds of judgements about the guy after stating previously that they are strangers and he can't possibly know anything about her and be able to say all the things he says. How the fuck does she know anything about him then? What makes her think that if his 5-minute in person conversation with her didn't reveal that she's a psychotic asshole that her less than 5-minute interaction on the Internet could reveal anything about him?
Yeah. How dare she jump to conclusions based on no data. :roll:
BillHamp wrote:All of this makes clear that her response was calculated to earn her some attention. Christopher just happened to be the vehicle for tirade. It could have been any guy (provided she knew for sure she wasn't interested) and he just happened to be in the wrong place when Kitty decided she should take offense so as to get some attention. The good news is that Kitty will always be miserable. She will always treat people this way and so always end up feeling like shit. It is justice, in a way.
She should be more understanding of other people's situations. Like you are.

MiceWars

Post by MiceWars »

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Most of this social justice micro-engineering - the bits that aren't actively harmful - is soundly outdone by social competence. Between social competence, fundamental empathy, and actual science, most of the rest seems like an insane echo chamber trying to optimise a few angles of the epistemologically impossible or opaque from immovable premises.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

welch wrote: In one of his more ignored performances, in "Dead Again", Robin Williams plays a thoroughly hateful psychiatrist who lost his license because, as he puts it
"Hey, thumbdick, I was a damn good shrink. Sixteen and a half years I worked with a lot of people through a lot of shit. OK, I slept with a patient or two. It's not like I didn't care about them. I loved being a doctor. I used to not charge half my patients. Then the fucking state comes along, they send in some bitch undercover, and I'm fucked. Ain't fair, is it?".

It's a minor role, but he has a great speech that always made a lot of sense. In the scene, he works in the meat department of a store, and is talking to Kenneth Branagh, and the fact that branagh's character is "trying to quit smoking"...
COZY CARLISLE
Mr. Church?
MIKE CHURCH
Yeah?
COZY CARLISLE
Someone is either a smoker or a non-smoker, there's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are and be that.
MIKE CHURCH
Well, you know, I'm trying to quit.
COZY CARLISLE
Don't tell me you're trying to quit. People who're trying to quit are basically pussies who cannot commit. Find out which one you are. Be that. That's it. If you're a non-smoker, you'll know.
For whatever reason, i found that concept to be of great use when trying to stop doing things that were obviously self-destructive. I had a choice, be one or the other.
That's rich, coming from a cyborg.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BillHamp wrote:All I can say to Christopher
Today Kotaku links to the original posting at tumblr (I didn't see that yesterday)

But you can see how she posts this, boasting to all of tumblr she was acting like a cunt
http://i.imgur.com/Ib9PB1G.jpg

and also fully identifying Christopher first name and last, while only identifying herself by the name Kitty.

http://i.imgur.com/3pGdjMY.jpg

And Kotaku doesn't bother to do the decent thing and block out the guy's last name either.

So Kotaku, Tumblr, and so many others agree the dude is a creep. Kotaku acts like the Gawker site they are and virally spreads his full name.

And I wonder why I shouldn't take this empowerful young feminist warrior at her word and agree she was acting like a fucking cunt.

welch

Post by welch »

JacquesCuze wrote:
BillHamp wrote:All I can say to Christopher
Today Kotaku links to the original posting at tumblr (I didn't see that yesterday)

But you can see how she posts this, boasting to all of tumblr she was acting like a cunt
http://i.imgur.com/Ib9PB1G.jpg

and also fully identifying Christopher first name and last, while only identifying herself by the name Kitty.

http://i.imgur.com/3pGdjMY.jpg

And Kotaku doesn't bother to do the decent thing and block out the guy's last name either.

So Kotaku, Tumblr, and so many others agree the dude is a creep. Kotaku acts like the Gawker site they are and virally spreads his full name.

And I wonder why I shouldn't take this empowerful young feminist warrior at her word and agree she was acting like a fucking cunt.
Yeah. Bitches should be more understanding. Like y'all.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Service Dog, buddy, good to see you! I missed you, let's say, "creative" mind. That art expo thing you posted last time was... something to remember, I guess.

Apples

Post by Apples »

BillHamp wrote:So I thought I take a minute to weigh in on two issues the SJWs have brought up. I have not patience for FtB, A+, etc., so I never engage them. Some of you do have that masochistic streak, however, so you'll relate. The first topic is sex, which is to say how physicial gender may differ from one's gender identity. This rant comes courtesy of Schala, who seems to know next to nothing about biology. The following quote confirms it and I will dissect it, piece by piece to make several points about biology. I will say that most you already know this stuff, but I feel obliged to say it anyway just in case someone from FtB is lurking here and accidently educates xe's self. *snip*
Thanks for this - good post.

Southern

Post by Southern »

didymos wrote:What in the....
Uncomfortable? No. Baffled? Yes.
So, what she is saying is that she screams like a cow being tortured while she's being raped? Well, who'd know.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BillHamp wrote:So I thought I take a minute to weigh in on two issues the SJWs have brought up....
Are you OK with us referencing this excellent response to Schala?

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

welch wrote:
BillHamp wrote:Next rant. This one regards the "creepy" stalker.

you know, that's sometimes true, but not enough to be the trope it is. I've seen a lot of what would generally be considered good-looking guys get turned down for being creepy or any other reason. Some women are kind of shallow, as are some men. what a shock.

And yes, she's trying to find out how this guy found out about her. That seems to be a reasonable thing to do. "Holy shit, it's a con creeper. Wait, I need to find out how he found out about me, so I can put a goddamned halt to that too." If someone is really stalking you or similar, you're going to want to know how they are finding out info so you can maybe do something about that. I know it's often difficult, but sometimes, (and I know there's no fun in this), but sometimes allowing for inconvenient conclusions seems to be a big part of this "skepticism" thing you all think is so fucking important.

Yet, in every example like this, (and this is not the first one on the pit), the reaction from y'all is the same, and it's the perfect mirror image of the feminist one. Instead of the woman being able to do no wrong, now it's the guy.

Maybe you, like watson and PZ, should stop abusing "skepticism" or just admit it's not all that important to you.
BillHamp wrote:At that point, she pulled a Rebecca Watson. She defined a behavior that is ambiogous as creepy. In other words, the guy's behavior could be seen as creepy, but it could also be seen as endearing. How many stories have we all heard of the persistent guy who tracks a girl down, has friends set up chance meetings, brings flowers, and basically stalks her before she says yes and they live happily ever after? We've all heard those stories because half the time it is our grandparents. It goes the other way too, with women stalking men and them living happily ever after. The only difference between those people and Kitty is in how THEY choose to define creepy.
So because person A found said behavior endearing, no one else is allowed to have a different opinion. Awesome. Fuck, let's just apply that to all kinds of things then.

and yes, "creepy" is a highly subjective concept. Just like "handsome" or "funny". It is *entirely* possible that a woman who is not Kitty might find that behavior to be absolutely romantic, instead of clingy, needy, and attention-starved. She'd not be wrong for her feelings on that EITHER, even though they aren't Kitty's.

Kitty however is not impressed with this behavior, and since we're not talking about every person on the planet, but rather one specific one, what someone else might think of this is somewhat immaterial. (PEOPLE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME. THIS MAY BE SCARY, BUT IT'S TRUE!)

Kitty does in fact have the right to her feelings, just like (AGGGGH) Watson does. To go back to EG yet again, I, and i'm pretty sure i'm not alone, never had a problem with how Rebecca Watson felt about EG's advances. (let us set aside the 'did he exist' issue, the evidence either way is essentially non-existent.) I don't have to agree with her takeway, or "guys don't do that", and I don't, but she is not wrong in her feelings about it. Kitty isn't demanding all men behave this way, she's telling one specific man to fuck off, and her greatest sin is that she's not being "nice" about it.

O.

Noes.

Teh Horrorz. Teh Horrorz.
BillHamp wrote:She is forcing her definition of creepy onto a person simply because she isn't interested. Not only is that a double standard, it demonstrates a complete lack of both empathy and sympathy. The guy took a chance on a girl he was attracted to. He did it awkwardly, but he put his feelings out there. Rather than just say "sorry, not interested," she chose to go ballistic because that made HER feel superior, that earned HER some SJW credibility, that gave HER something to talk about. What he expressed were his feelings and he did it in the only way he knew how. It may not be the way Kitty wanted it, but that doesn't make it wrong or creepy.
How dare a person who is not you, with a different background and worldview react to a situation in a way you wouldn't have. What a cunt.
BillHamp wrote:She also foists upon this guy a huge amount of personal baggage of her own. All I can say to Christopher Ryan, if he is listen, is that you dodged a bullet my friend. You probably feel like shit, but take into account that fact that Kitty is a complete and total asshole. You just saved yourself from month, years, or even a lifetime of being treated in person like she just treated you on the Internet. You don't need a toxic, inconsiderate, emotionally damaged person like that in your life. You'll find a girl who shares your interests and when you do, she'll wonder what is wrong with Kitty that could have caused her to treat you the way she did. You stumbled into a hornet's nest of SJWism and you got stung. Be thankful that is all you got. Consider it a lesson in the type of person to avoid in the future.
You know what, if you remove all your own personal butthurt over this, the core of your advice is good. Kitty clearly isn't a good fit for this guy.

But you can't stop there. You have to make sure, based on...nothing. I mean shit, you haven't even interacted with her to the insanely limited degree you interact with anyone on this forum who you ONLY know through this forum, and yet, you know everything about her.

it's funny. You're bagging on her for not "taking the nicer option" for not "trying to see the good in him", for "not being understanding" and yet you are guilty of all of that. Here's someone working in the lower circles of retail hell, aka Hot Topic. Now, i know putting oneself in someone else's shoes is something only other people do, but try to imagine working retail in the store where all the fuckwit emo/goth dipshits shop. Try to imagine the amount of pretentious nerd assholes kitty has to deal with. Every Day.

A comic book store isn't as bad, because Hot Topic has that "ooooh, SEXAH" shit going on that comic book stores don't. Seriously. Hot. Topic. Fitting. Rooms. <brrrr>

Now, as we note from her final response, she'd just moved. Moving, even just down the street, is a really stressful experience. Especially if you can't just take days off, or you don't have access to a truck or moving van, and you have to drag that shit in cars. It fucking sucks, and it will put you in a right bad mood.

So you're moving, and you finally get done. And you finally get some fucking internet and you go on facebook to just catch up, or maybe put the "OH DEAR GOD, IT'S FINALLY FUCKING DONE" and what do you see?

Christopher Ryan's bullshit. Someone you probably don't remember, because in a Hot Topic, dips like him are every 4th customer, is spamming your fucking IM, and getting whiny that you haven't fucking responded.

I may not FULLY agree with her response, but I can absolutely, sure as shit UNDERSTAND it.

Funny how you demand understanding FROM her, but refuse to have any FOR her. Maybe you should start living up to the standards you demand of others?
BillHamp wrote:Finally, I'd like to point out that Kitty says "If you have to tell somebody you're a nice guy, you're doing something wrong. Or you're not actually a nice guy, your a pushy fucking creap leaving in a fantasy world where girls fit...." It's funny that she makes all kinds of judgements about the guy after stating previously that they are strangers and he can't possibly know anything about her and be able to say all the things he says. How the fuck does she know anything about him then? What makes her think that if his 5-minute in person conversation with her didn't reveal that she's a psychotic asshole that her less than 5-minute interaction on the Internet could reveal anything about him?
Yeah. How dare she jump to conclusions based on no data. :roll:
BillHamp wrote:All of this makes clear that her response was calculated to earn her some attention. Christopher just happened to be the vehicle for tirade. It could have been any guy (provided she knew for sure she wasn't interested) and he just happened to be in the wrong place when Kitty decided she should take offense so as to get some attention. The good news is that Kitty will always be miserable. She will always treat people this way and so always end up feeling like shit. It is justice, in a way.
She should be more understanding of other people's situations. Like you are.
Welch, you're missing the point, putting words into my mouth, and applying just about every fallacy under the sun to make an erroneous point aimed at a strawman. I'm not saying she didn't have a right to reject the guy or to find out more about him, I'm saying she acted like a total fucking asshole. Much like yourself.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Fuck, Welch, not every creep deserves a truly public shaming. Sure, he was creepy. Sure she had the right to her feelings that he was creepy. I believe that people are objecting to the name-and-shame culture, especially when she's not willing to ante up her own name.

Now, you feel for her, but not for him. You might be fine with making a romantic misstep and becoming a laughingstock for teh whole wide intertubes. You are clearly at home in being a cunt, completely out of the closet about it, and I salute you for it. That poor dude, well, he might not feel the same way. Because, you know, people ARE different. Really, I have that on good authority.

Also, you may spare me the "bless your heart" thing. I'm sure you think it the very apex of biting southern humor. You have my pity.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BillHamp wrote:So I thought I take a minute to weigh in on two issues the SJWs have brought up....
Are you OK with us referencing this excellent response to Schala?
I'm cool with anything I put out in public being used for any reason, though I appreciate your asking. I figure if I put it up in public, it's free game.

Guestus Aurelius

MiceWars wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Most of this social justice micro-engineering - the bits that aren't actively harmful - is soundly outdone by social competence. Between social competence, fundamental empathy, and actual science, most of the rest seems like an insane echo chamber trying to optimise a few angles of the epistemologically impossible or opaque from immovable premises.
Are you referring to anything in particular? (Not being snarky, it's a sincere question.)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

ROBOKiTTY said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 62#p163865):
I really have no idea why anyone follows Elyse Anders. What does she do that's noteworthy? Elise Andrew of I f'ing Love Science follows her, which to me really undermines Andrew's credibility as a science enthusiast-cum-educator.
She has done some very good work with her various "Get Vaccinated" campaigns.

Other than that, I don't know. Not very much, I suspect.

Guestus Aurelius

In a recent comment here I asserted that debates about "constructedness" often devolve into a discussion of whether knowledge and truth are mere constructs. Steersman has kindly proved me right:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2014 ... ment-48326
Steersman wrote: Although one might reasonably ask how you think a theory could be falsified if there isn’t an “absolute truth”, even if imperfectly grasped, to compare it against. Or are truth and reality themselves only “social constructions”?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

From the linked article:
Ben Radford wrote:Of course, most reports of sexual assault, abduction, and other serious crimes are true. The vast majority of the time when a man says he was carjacked, or a woman says she was assaulted, it really did happen. No one doubts or denies that, and that is part of the reason that victims are believed-as they should be, unless further evidence and investigation reveals that it did not happen. As Alan Dershowitz pointed out during a recent appearance on BBC News, most people who are accused of a crime are in fact guilty.

MiceWars

Post by MiceWars »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Are you referring to anything in particular? (Not being snarky, it's a sincere question.)
I'm referring to extremely elaborate theorising on abstract concepts we know very little about the functioning of... like micro-aggressions + invalidations, cultural appropriation... These are real things. But most of how it's used in SJW land is procrustean narrative, extrapolations to the absurd or unknowable but with incredible amounts of indignant faith.

I wasn't singling out anything, but ending the use of dreadlocks to contribute to a culture where black people are treated better would be an example. Dealing with oughts in cultural appropriation, or most of any micro social behaviours, in such a hyper-detailed theory heavy way is just... And the extremes that epistemic privilege with regards to identity goes (again, a real thing) are just insane.

I have no idea why I wrote "I don't see all the fuss is about"... I guess I don't really have much to add, this has all been discussed much better here, but most of it is newer to me than a lot of you, so I'm just trying to organize these thoughts and say hi.

So hello Slymepit!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Mykeru wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Mykeru, you got a well deserved positive call out at Randi.org http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... 24&page=15
Nice, and just for shits and giggles:

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=586
You should have opened with a 10 minute full frontal rain dance to keep the attention of those suffering with ADD. But no, you had to erase their lived experiences you naughty boy.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Was the guy a bit creepy? Maybe. Perhaps just poor social skills. However, she reacted poorly. She turned this into a chance to get SJW cred. So fuck her. It should have been kept private.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:
or the current shitfit about a black Human Torch.

I understand the hissy-fit around Heimdall due to Thor being based (rather loosely) on Norse mythology. Not that I cared. Heimdall was pretty minor.

But the Torch is just whole-cloth made up. So I don't get that at all.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:Mykeru, you are my favorite cow skull person in the world. You're also a cnut, but I think I can forgive you for that.

Bravo, kind sir. Amazing documentary.

Yeah, it was, wasn't it.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Without attempting to diminish the feelings of the transgendered and the fact that they feel a real disconnect between their self-image and their biology --- it strikes me that one of the fundamental flaws of the younger generation is they took the standard parental encouragement "you can grow up to be anything you want to be" as the literal truth.

Me, I identify as trans-Batman.

In Kindergarten my daughter's teacher said that crap. So my daughter said she wanted to be a 'cat' when she grew up. So there was back=peddling.

Then she said basketball player. She was, and has almost always been, the shortest person in her year and is absolutely horrible at sports. Kindergarten teacher ended up 0-2. Daughter got an early life-lesson that NO, you can't be what ever you want so you better figure out what you can do so you can try out the realistic options.

Guestus Aurelius

MiceWars wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

I'm referring to extremely elaborate theorising on abstract concepts we know very little about the functioning of... like micro-aggressions + invalidations, cultural appropriation... These are real things. But most of how it's used in SJW land is procrustean narrative, extrapolations to the absurd or unknowable but with incredible amounts of indignant faith.

I wasn't singling out anything, but ending the use of dreadlocks to contribute to a culture where black people are treated better would be an example. Dealing with oughts in cultural appropriation, or most of any micro social behaviours, in such a hyper-detailed theory heavy way is just... And the extremes that epistemic privilege with regards to identity goes (again, a real thing) are just insane.

I have no idea why I wrote "I don't see all the fuss is about"... I guess I don't really have much to add, this has all been discussed much better here, but most of it is newer to me than a lot of you, so I'm just trying to organize these thoughts and say hi.

So hello Slymepit!
Welcome.

Fuck off.

MiceWars

Post by MiceWars »

Guestus Aurelius wrote: Welcome.

Fuck off.
He he.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:One of the nice things about being a perpetually underage KiTTY is that I don't drink, ever. My system cannot tolerate alcohol, so I stay far and away from it and feel no temptation whatsoever. I'm flaunting my alcohol-free privilege, aren't I? :dance:
I do not drink much myself as my control tends to slip under the influence and there are usually consequences to that. Fortunately I appear to have no strong attractors for drink which makes it fairly easy to do.

welch

Post by welch »

BillHamp wrote: Welch, you're missing the point, putting words into my mouth, and applying just about every fallacy under the sun to make an erroneous point aimed at a strawman. I'm not saying she didn't have a right to reject the guy or to find out more about him, I'm saying she acted like a total fucking asshole. Much like yourself.
Aww puddin', that's why I completely and extensively quoted you. Because that makes strawmanning so much easier.

If you don't like people doing that, maybe think about what you say firAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Sorry, LSD flashback.

you thinking about what you're spouting before you go into EBUL WIMMEN mode.

Lemme guess...you pulled this crap once and got shot down for the same reason, and are still crying over it.

welch

Post by welch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Fuck, Welch, not every creep deserves a truly public shaming. Sure, he was creepy. Sure she had the right to her feelings that he was creepy. I believe that people are objecting to the name-and-shame culture, especially when she's not willing to ante up her own name.

Now, you feel for her, but not for him. You might be fine with making a romantic misstep and becoming a laughingstock for teh whole wide intertubes. You are clearly at home in being a cunt, completely out of the closet about it, and I salute you for it. That poor dude, well, he might not feel the same way. Because, you know, people ARE different. Really, I have that on good authority.

Also, you may spare me the "bless your heart" thing. I'm sure you think it the very apex of biting southern humor. You have my pity.
I bet your pity works better on people who know you.

Maybe he could have backed off after...oh, day 4? Day 5?

Nah. It's all her fault.

welch

Post by welch »

TedDahlberg wrote: From the linked article:
Ben Radford wrote:Of course, most reports of sexual assault, abduction, and other serious crimes are true. The vast majority of the time when a man says he was carjacked, or a woman says she was assaulted, it really did happen. No one doubts or denies that, and that is part of the reason that victims are believed-as they should be, unless further evidence and investigation reveals that it did not happen. As Alan Dershowitz pointed out during a recent appearance on BBC News, most people who are accused of a crime are in fact guilty.
May as well label that response "gravity", it was that inevitable.

MiceWars

Post by MiceWars »

John D wrote: "Alcoholism" is best defined as a physical addiction to alcohol. As far as I can tell I do not have this condition. I have often stopped drinking for a week at a time with no ill effects. It does not even seem to affect my sleeping.
Is it? I can do the same, and I've never drank frequently for months on end - the problem is, when I've had a few, I end up in a totally compulsive state. This has gotten worse and worse over the years, even as the drinking behaviour of my peers moderates. I don't become mean or anything, but I pursue alcohol in very self-destructive ways that could last for days.

Though I wouldn't have in the past, my friends would definitely define me as an alcoholic, and they're Irish.

I just have to stick with not drinking.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:Was the guy a bit creepy? Maybe. Perhaps just poor social skills. However, she reacted poorly. She turned this into a chance to get SJW cred. So fuck her. It should have been kept private.
THAT part, i do disagree with. Because it is uncool barring some pretty narrow situations, i.e. a publicly homophobic person being outed as gay, someone making *actual* threats, (not just "U R UGLEE BITCH HUR HUR" shit, but you know, the kinds of things the cops start getting interested in), etc. Actual definable situations. (you discover a public company is dumping dioxin in the water.)

Her reaction is her reaction, and I think the fucking pearl-clutching and vapors over ebul mean kitty, especially from THIS lot is hypocritical idiocy writ large.

But yeah, I agree that making this kind of thing public, regardless of who or "why" was a dick move, and that does suck.

John D

Post by John D »

On a different topic, I enjoyed this article about post-modernist babble.... and the comments are good for a chuckle.
http://thepaperthinhymn.com/2010/01/26/ ... modernism/

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

This 'Kitty' person is unfit to bear ROBOKiTTY's holy name, even in conventionally capitalized form.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:This 'Kitty' person is unfit to bear ROBOKiTTY's holy name, even in conventionally capitalized form.
what about

http://i.imgur.com/j5ntkLd.png

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My ear was culturally appropriated by a very drunk lady last night at the pub. It still hurts this morning. (had something to do with being drunk as shit and trying to intervene between her and a bouncer. Bouncer was nice enough. She wasn't.)

Note to meself: don't go out anymore!

Thanks a lot Mykeru. But of note, it was just one drunken night out of a good run of sober days (Gefan, open your mog about my beer-drinking at 9:00am, and I'll hunt you down! Ooops!).

I don't drive (scared shitless of cars and car rides. Accident where I almost lost my legs age 14), I don't murder (snicky cops are way too efficient) and I never rape (consensual is way better).

Oh dear, my head hurts!
Don't listen to these boring twats Phil. Come with me for a wee swally, I've stocked the cocktail cabinet.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5275/xbsm.png

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Referring back to tenure, here is a professor who probably does need tenure to protect her academic freedom:

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/tenure ... uit-issue/

http://i.imgur.com/1SjNbWX.jpg

Turns out:

The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue is porn.
The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue is WORSE THAN porn because it is circulated in public.

The Swimsuit issue leads to misogyny and rape.
So do "boobie girls working on the NFL sidelines"

"Neither one of these things has anything to do with sports, but about marking out athletics as the property of heterosexual men."

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

welch wrote:
another lurker wrote:Was the guy a bit creepy? Maybe. Perhaps just poor social skills. However, she reacted poorly. She turned this into a chance to get SJW cred. So fuck her. It should have been kept private.
THAT part, i do disagree with. Because it is uncool barring some pretty narrow situations, i.e. a publicly homophobic person being outed as gay, someone making *actual* threats, (not just "U R UGLEE BITCH HUR HUR" shit, but you know, the kinds of things the cops start getting interested in), etc. Actual definable situations. (you discover a public company is dumping dioxin in the water.)

Her reaction is her reaction, and I think the fucking pearl-clutching and vapors over ebul mean kitty, especially from THIS lot is hypocritical idiocy writ large.

But yeah, I agree that making this kind of thing public, regardless of who or "why" was a dick move, and that does suck.
What? I assume you are saying that we've no right to react to kitty's behavior and call her out on it because we do similar things. Before I run with that assumption, maybe you'd like to clarify. We agree that what kitty did was pretty low, so where, exactly, do we disagree? I ask because THAT is my whole point and nothing else. Kitty was an asshole just to get SJW cred or because she lacks the empathy that she and her ilk insist the rest of us show. Pointing out her hypocrisy in being a total asshole to someone because she SHAMED him (creeper shaming??), something they fucking gripe about ad nauseam, is the whole point.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

welch wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote: From the linked article:
May as well label that response "gravity", it was that inevitable.
It's very important to get in there quickly to prime everyone on how to feel and what to think in case they were to otherwise accidentally stumble upon it themselves and draw a different conclusion without your helpful interpretation. Even better if you can get them to avoid reading it altogether and just get them to accept that it says what you claim it says. And triple points if you can do all that without even having to employ a quote, however skewed.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

It's nice that welch can empathize with the tumblrite. It's not nice that welch completely fails to empathize with the offending guy.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, has made mistakes that may have seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out to be obvious epic phail in hindsight or in the eyes of an observer.

To illustrate this in an example that may make sense to you, imagine you were working on a piece of software, and a nasty bug appeared. You saw nothing wrong in your code and blamed it on a coworker's module or commit made on the same day. Days passed without resolution, until someone took a peek at your code and spotted a subtle logical error that nevertheless seemed so utterly obvious once it had been pointed out to you.

You were utterly humiliated. Your coworker submitted the story with full chatlogs and emails to TheDailyWTF without changing your name. Strangers from around the world laughed at your mistake, analysed your correspondence for further missteps, pointed out your incompetence, and suggested you should be fired and your job given to Indians in call centres.

I imagine you might actually be okay with this, given your temperament. But newsflash -- not everyone is the same. There is more than one side to every story. Practise that skepticism you're so fond of: we have only heard one side of the story, and how do you know the chatlogs weren't selectively edited? You've reacting nearly as ridiculously as all the believe-the-victim crowd.

Guestus Aurelius

I think there's some confusion here—my impression was that welch simply forgot to include the word not when he wrote "THAT part, i do disagree with." Seems from the rest of his post that he agrees that it was a "dick move" for her to make the situation (and the guy's full name) public.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:It's nice that welch can empathize with the tumblrite. It's not nice that welch completely fails to empathize with the offending guy.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, has made mistakes that may have seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out to be obvious epic phail in hindsight or in the eyes of an observer.

To illustrate this in an example that may make sense to you, imagine you were working on a piece of software, and a nasty bug appeared. You saw nothing wrong in your code and blamed it on a coworker's module or commit made on the same day. Days passed without resolution, until someone took a peek at your code and spotted a subtle logical error that nevertheless seemed so utterly obvious once it had been pointed out to you.

You were utterly humiliated. Your coworker submitted the story with full chatlogs and emails to TheDailyWTF without changing your name. Strangers from around the world laughed at your mistake, analysed your correspondence for further missteps, pointed out your incompetence, and suggested you should be fired and your job given to Indians in call centres.

I imagine you might actually be okay with this, given your temperament. But newsflash -- not everyone is the same. There is more than one side to every story. Practise that skepticism you're so fond of: we have only heard one side of the story, and how do you know the chatlogs weren't selectively edited? You've reacting nearly as ridiculously as all the believe-the-victim crowd.
Yes. Precisely. My sentimonies exactly.

John D

Post by John D »

MiceWars wrote:
John D wrote: "Alcoholism" is best defined as a physical addiction to alcohol. As far as I can tell I do not have this condition. I have often stopped drinking for a week at a time with no ill effects. It does not even seem to affect my sleeping.
Is it? I can do the same, and I've never drank frequently for months on end - the problem is, when I've had a few, I end up in a totally compulsive state. This has gotten worse and worse over the years, even as the drinking behaviour of my peers moderates. I don't become mean or anything, but I pursue alcohol in very self-destructive ways that could last for days.

Though I wouldn't have in the past, my friends would definitely define me as an alcoholic, and they're Irish.

I understand and I am not trying to claim my definition of "alcoholic" is universal. My drinking can get a bit compulsive as you describe and it is scary.... scary enough that I cut back. By some definitions I am an alcoholic. I find, however, that this definition doesn't really help me. The common definitions are broad and fuzzy. Perhaps I should just not use the term.

I think it is useful to understand the addiction element to alcohol as a separate issue. I have reserved the term alcoholic for this, but this may be a mistake. My father had (and perhaps still has) a strong physical addiction to alcohol. It affected his sleep, and his diet, and his mood. He became terribly ill when he quit drinking. I know I do not have this condition. I realize I could develop this, but so far there is no way to tell if I will ever get this addicted.

Some people think alcoholism is a persistent recurring desire to drink. Well.... I have this for sure. But, many people have this same reaction to coffee. Is most of America addicted to coffee? Perhaps. Does this make them coffeeholics? I guess I don't really know how to answer this.

Some people are better off not drinking. I could get to this point one day.... I understand. It would not surprise me if I had to quit altogether some day. If I have to quit I know I will miss it.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

[quote="John D"But, many people have this same reaction to coffee. Is most of America addicted to coffee? Perhaps. Does this make them coffeeholics? I guess I don't really know how to answer this.[/quote]Caffeine IS addicting but not really in the same way. It's rare to see anyone drink coffee "to excess," because the addiction is usually satisfied fairly quickly.

Alcohol is also a much stronger diuretic than caffeine and dehydrates the body so the more you drink the thirstier you tend to become. Not so with coffee.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

John D wrote:
MiceWars wrote:

I understand and I am not trying to claim my definition of "alcoholic" is universal. My drinking can get a bit compulsive as you describe and it is scary.... scary enough that I cut back. By some definitions I am an alcoholic. I find, however, that this definition doesn't really help me. The common definitions are broad and fuzzy. Perhaps I should just not use the term.

I think it is useful to understand the addiction element to alcohol as a separate issue. I have reserved the term alcoholic for this, but this may be a mistake. My father had (and perhaps still has) a strong physical addiction to alcohol. It affected his sleep, and his diet, and his mood. He became terribly ill when he quit drinking. I know I do not have this condition. I realize I could develop this, but so far there is no way to tell if I will ever get this addicted.

Some people think alcoholism is a persistent recurring desire to drink. Well.... I have this for sure. But, many people have this same reaction to coffee. Is most of America addicted to coffee? Perhaps. Does this make them coffeeholics? I guess I don't really know how to answer this.

Some people are better off not drinking. I could get to this point one day.... I understand. It would not surprise me if I had to quit altogether some day. If I have to quit I know I will miss it.
The medical profession draws a distinction between dependence and addiction. Dependence refers to changes in physiology, such as you mention regarding diet, sleep, etc. Addiction is behavioral and is usually defined by changes in social relationships, changes in work habits, changes in personality, increased risk taking, etc. all related to getting the object of addiction. The definitions aren't perfect, but I think they are what you are getting at.

Alcoholism is no different than many other addictions in terms of craving and obsession/compulsion. The biggest differences are in health effects and social acceptance. There are differnt health effects with overconsuming caffee that tend to be less severe only because you need to drink a whole lot more to experience them in most cases. The big difference is social acceptance and the fact that alcohol alters function drastically. That is why people view it differently than other addictions. Most people don't understand addiction well at all, which is why we are no better at treating it now than we were fifty or one hundred years ago.

The bottom line is that if a behavior inteferes with your enjoyment of your life, then it is considered an addiction for medical purposes. Even if you enjoy the behavior, it would still be an addiction.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Fuck, one lousy misplaced bracket and it all comes tumbling down.

John D

Post by John D »

Sunder wrote:[quote="John D"But, many people have this same reaction to coffee. Is most of America addicted to coffee? Perhaps. Does this make them coffeeholics? I guess I don't really know how to answer this.
Caffeine IS addicting but not really in the same way. It's rare to see anyone drink coffee "to excess," because the addiction is usually satisfied fairly quickly.

Alcohol is also a much stronger diuretic than caffeine and dehydrates the body so the more you drink the thirstier you tend to become. Not so with coffee.[/quote]
I almost never drink alcohol because I am thirsty. I drink water or iced tea when I am thirsty. I drink alcohol when I want to drink alcohol. Haha.