Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
bhoytony

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by bhoytony »

Gumby wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Well, they finally got what they wanted - the sexeh photoshops. Let the whining begin.
That'll probably keep her fake PTSD going for another two years.
Should have used a dog's dick, that would have triggered her going off like a fucking firework.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Ania Bula February 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

I think my discomfort with this post can be summarized as this:
If you don’t belong to the marginalized group that is pointing out that a certain term makes them uncomfortable or is a contributor to their marginalization, is it fair for you as an outsider to say “It’s ok because it doesn’t make me uncomfortable” ?
Rebecca Watson February 15, 2014, 5:51 pm

If that had been what I said in the slightest, you would have a point.
Ania Bula February 15, 2014, 6:11 pm

It is not what you said, but it is how it read.
Stupidgate keeps delivering the lulz.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I've been watching this guy Lindybeige. He's has a degree in archaeology, strong geek cred and does lots of vids on historical arms and armor. For instance, he has some points on dual-wielding and crap fighting in movies and many other things.

Well worth watching his stuff. And not just because, when he gets going he sounds a lot like John Cleese.

Here's a video where he makes some sensible comments on terrorism. Now, let's play "spot the ablist language".

[youtube]vWbtN1mwgkU[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

bhoytony wrote:
Gumby wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Well, they finally got what they wanted - the sexeh photoshops. Let the whining begin.
That'll probably keep her fake PTSD going for another two years.
Should have used a dog's dick, that would have triggered her going off like a fucking firework.
Fuck, I can't be expected to remember everything.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

John Greg wrote:Erm, "Pharyngulhanas", I mean ... I think.
Well, yeah, but, um, actually it is "Pharyngulanhas." Just sayin'.

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:oh, you can do it. But the first time the system engages, you have to basically get a new lathe. Dude designed a circular saw that does that. Impressive as hell, he demos on his own fingers. But it's a new saw because going from HIGH RPMS to nothing in under .1 seconds destroys the thing.
In other words, such a system would never work on a metal turning lathe becasue you have many times more rotational mass to try to stop.

The average 3-jaw chuck on a 1 1/4 spindle lathe (I.D.) weighs over 30 lbs and is powered by a 5 horse electric motor.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ya well I'm fuckin' "H" impaired and self-identify as himpaired modernized to ximpared you ableist fuckwit and where I place my Hs I have no control over so the'yre where theyr'e supposed to be so ya well ya....

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

John Greg wrote:
Ya well I'm fuckin' "H" impaired and self-identify as himpaired modernized to ximpared you ableist fuckwit and where I place my Hs I have no control over so the'yre where theyr'e supposed to be so ya well ya....
*safe gestures of affection if you want them*

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

This fella, Jrod, has said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ent-437617):
Scienceblogs, where Abbie blogs, has censored the slymers in a far more, what’s the word? oh yes, draconian, way. Yet I don’t know of any pitters going to random blogs on that network to moan about it. Nobody seems to fault Abbie for remaining there. Of course, it this did happen I surely missed it. Got a link?
AND
If you really want to go back to “where it started,” that would be when Rebecca Watson made the purely evil observation that creeping on women at atheist conventions makes women less inclined to go to atheist conventions, in direct response to a question about how to get more women to come to atheist conventions.
AND
Say, how exactly is PZ Myers preventing anyone from the pit from “defending themselves”?

I've stated that I've bowed out of this conversation, so, does anyone feel like correcting this halfwit?

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Pitchguest wrote: To someone who's not familiar with SJL tactics, imagine how jarring it must be to be lectured to how much less "privilege" you have (or are supposed to have) just because of the colour of your skin. (Or gender, or ethnicity, or sexual preference.) Fuck. That.
Indeed. And now imagine that some poor bastard with self-esteem issues unwittingly stumbles into one of these SJL comment sections and gets surprise-gang-pounce-privilege-shamed. As I've said before, it's straight-up bullying when these fuckers attack someone so viciously over mild disagreement. The intent seems to be to tear the person down as ruthlessly and relentlessly as possible, to convince them that they're a worthless human being who is actively making the world a worse place. If the person isn't particularly stable emotionally or psychologically, this really can lead to trouble. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

*safe gestures of affection if you want them*
Ya and what if I don't have any fuckin hands to gesture with, huh? How ya think that makes me feel? What if I'm just a lump of torso and no spinal chords to give me any feels too? Huh? You and your smelly canibal fishes; that's all youse types ever think about.

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:
Apples wrote:Never thought I'd say it, but I kind of like this Surlyramic. :bjarte:
Ooh, it's simply beautiful. On what occasion were you thinking of wearing this classy item?
Well, on a date with Bjarte Floshaugh, of course.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Guest wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Lathes have existed for decades, but they still haven't designed a mechanism that forces a stop if things get tangled in them?

Seems like such a rudimentary flaw that should've been sorted out years ago. They did it with escalators, why not lathes? Or was it simply that this one was an older model? Ehh. What a waste.
They don't bother with that type of safety mechanism because the assumption it that the operator isn't an idiot.

Most metal cutting machines have a big red panic button to shut them off if need be but they don't do much good when your head is pulled into a spinning 3-jaw chuck.
That's not fair to generalise that workshop accidents occur due to idiocy. There is an infinite number of variables including things like fatigue or an unexpected distraction.

And yes they do bother with these kinds of safety mechanisms:

[youtube]OMD3agP5hv0[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Well, Soraya Chemaly has the syllable "Chem" in her name - close enough...

And she's also a feminist

Chem + ist =

I wonder whats up with the fact that they are missing some of the usual suspects.
Where's Rebecca Watson?
Where's Amanda Marcotte?
Where's Ophelia Benson?

It can't be that they've spoken before - that certainly hasn't prevented Melody from asking back some of the others.

The name Sarah Jones rings a bell.
Didn't she have an freakout argument with someone from FTB recently?
Was it Ophelia? (does someone here remember?)
Oops, forget that, I've just noticed Ophelia is still included. :doh:

It's just Marcotte and Watson that have gone missing.
No Marcan'tadmitthoseDukeboysweren'tguilty? No Beckybooze? What?!?!?

But seriously, what the hell is Surly Amy going to talk about? How to circumvent conference table policies?

Really?

Post by Really? »

I'm forcing supermegatugs on you, whether or not they're welcome. Thank you for extending my life for two minutes with that laugh.

Really?

Post by Really? »

bhoytony wrote:Just clicked a link on that Women In Secularism page and I have to say I think Lindy West looks pretty hot.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3531/du72.png

Yep, she's quite a .......wait a minute

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8229/s2fu.png
http://www.designer-daily.com/wp-conten ... opping.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Apples wrote:Never thought I'd say it, but I kind of like this Surlyramic. :bjarte:
Ooh, it's simply beautiful. On what occasion were you thinking of wearing this classy item?
Isn't a "Day of the Dead" pendant appropriating Mexican culture? images/smilies/eusa/naughty.gif
Awesome point. She should be ashamed and she should apologize for this at WISC III. (Oh, by the way, when is MISC I?)

Further, if you want one of those, just ask any first-grader to make you one in their next art period.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Southern wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Well, on a date with Bjarte Floshaugh, of course.
Do a GIS for "day of the dead skulls" and you will find examples of intricate designs, too complex to carve into a cat turd. But the simpler ones have a coherent pattern, symmetry. Fuck, here's some cookies:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NPDlUYIosFI/T ... 00x462.jpg

Amy Roth's version is just a bunch of embossed sticker designs slammed on any old way. It"s as if she said to herself "It's hard to fuck up a Day of the Dead skull, but dammit, I'm not giving up until I do".

Then she channeled her inner retarded monkey and fucked it up good.

Lazy shit, that.

SouthernThe Spammer

Post by SouthernThe Spammer »

I'm posting through a proxy server just to tell you that the Fascist Tit got my IP blocked, with some lame excuse of it being used for spam, when everybody knows that he can't handle the truth and he's exactly like PZ Myers.

Your silencing tactics will not work against me, Fascist Tit. I will persevere, for the opressed, unprivileged people all around the world! Even with PTSD raging through my head right know, and trying to not literally shake with rage, I will keep my work of #MustDenounce the abuse that we the opressed snowflakes from Canada to Argentina, from Chile to Russia, are subjected daily through the hands of cis-scum MRA like yourselves. I have the power of millions, billions on Twitter, Tumblr and Freethought Blogs fighting alongside me to make our voice heard! All The Power To The Special People! All The Power To The Idiots!

Of course, since I have dynamic IP, I could just reset my modem and solve this problem by myself, but then I would not be able to blame the Slymepit for it. Also, blaming the victim rape apology. I'll just ask ThimbleDick to provide me tech support and a $20 blowjob later.

Post by guest »

Didnt know there was more to the Twitter fight

@ two years ago, I was still going to the Magic Castle with someone I would now guess is a sociopath.

6:19am - 30 Jan 14

Dobby

Post by Dobby »

John Greg wrote:Ya and what if I don't have any fuckin hands to gesture with, huh? How ya think that makes me feel? What if I'm just a lump of torso and no spinal chords to give me any feels too? Huh? You and your smelly canibal fishes; that's all youse types ever think about.
I have all of those afflictions plus a stuffy nose, so you can take your "smell" ableism and stick it!

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Mykeru wrote:I've been watching this guy Lindybeige. He's has a degree in archaeology, strong geek cred and does lots of vids on historical arms and armor. For instance, he has some points on dual-wielding and crap fighting in movies and many other things.

Well worth watching his stuff. And not just because, when he gets going he sounds a lot like John Cleese.

Here's a video where he makes some sensible comments on terrorism. Now, let's play "spot the ablist language".

Thank you, that was terrific. Not as terrific as that Göring dude who makes the civil war videos here, but pretty darn terrific nevertheless.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Mykeru wrote:I've been watching this guy Lindybeige. He's has a degree in archaeology, strong geek cred and does lots of vids on historical arms and armor. For instance, he has some points on dual-wielding and crap fighting in movies and many other things.

He was doing OK until he said that he was unaware of any terrorism campaign that has ever achieved its aims ...

I think the IRA are pretty happy with the outcome of their terrorism (massive concessions by the British government, restructuring of the entire government of NI), and I'm fairly sure Al Qaida are pretty happy with the outcome of theirs (massive wide scale disruption both financial and social)

Yes, they may be idiots, and stupid - but not because terrorism doesn't work, it very clearly does work spectacularly well, it just has a very high cost to the terrorists themselves

Much like Tumblr feminists and SJWs are the Internet terrorists of today ... swarm in, crap over everything, attack anyone who disagrees... might be costly to their own personal lives/sanity/etc but it sure as hell creates a lot of noise which populist minded people seize upon to promote their own agendas

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote: He was doing OK until he said that he was unaware of any terrorism campaign that has ever achieved its aims ...

I think the IRA are pretty happy with the outcome of their terrorism (massive concessions by the British government, restructuring of the entire government of NI), and I'm fairly sure Al Qaida are pretty happy with the outcome of theirs (massive wide scale disruption both financial and social)
Is Ireland an independent Catholic state? Did Al Qaeda achieve their aim of a pan-Arab theocracy?

No. But those were their aims.

Just because someone didn't fail utterly and completely, managed to accomplish "something" and got some "concessions", doesn't mean they achieved what they used the terrorism to accomplish.

Also, look at the IRA. I mean, which IRA, as there was the aor Uladh (1950s), Saor Éire (1967–1975), Provisional IRA (1969–present), Official IRA (1969–present), Irish National Liberation Army (1974–2010), Irish People's Liberation Organisation (1986–1992), Continuity IRA (1986–present), Real IRA (1997–present), Óglaigh na hÉireann (Real IRA splinter group) (2006–Disbanded)

Splitters!

I may be naive, but I get a sense that a fractious organization isn't one that's achieving much of anything.

And no, I'm not going 15 rounds over this.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Meanwhile, on Pharyngula...
FossilFishy(Anti-Vulcanist)

17 February 2014 at 11:39 pm (UTC -6) Link to this comment

Ogvorbis

Should our lives be different and we were geographically close I wouldn’t hesitate to leave you alone with my child. I say this as someone who must, without fail, go and check on his sleeping daughter if I happen to wake up in the night. I can’t get back to sleep for the irrational fear that someone has spirited her away without waking me. Please understand that there is no higher trust that I could place upon a person than this.

I suspect that you will deem yourself unworthy of such a trust, but that decision is not yours to make my friend. It’s mine. And despite the hollowness inherent in my claim, times and distances being what they are, I mean the above in all sincerely.
Too bad that John Wayne Gacy was executed. He would have been such a great entertainer at the birthday parties of FossilFishy's kid.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I once got a nasty paper-cut after opening an enveloppe.
You thus know exactly what it's like to be as disabled as Stephen Hawking. [/Melody]

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Jan Steen wrote:Meanwhile, on Pharyngula...

Ogvorbis

Should our lives be different and we were geographically close I wouldn’t hesitate to leave you alone with my child. I say this as someone who must, without fail, go and check on his sleeping daughter if I happen to wake up in the night. I can’t get back to sleep for the irrational fear that someone has spirited her away without waking me. Please understand that there is no higher trust that I could place upon a person than this.

I suspect that you will deem yourself unworthy of such a trust, but that decision is not yours to make my friend. It’s mine. And despite the hollowness inherent in my claim, times and distances being what they are, I mean the above in all sincerely.
Too bad that John Wayne Gacy was executed. He would have been such a great entertainer at the birthday parties of FossilFishy's kid.
Oggy is probably still wanking over fishy's invitation.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Guest wrote:
dogen wrote: Also, the spanners sitting next to the lathe are an accident waiting to happen. They should be stowed somewhere safe.

But given the origin of the photo (Wikipedia labels it US Government Publicity photo of American machine tool worker in Texas), I'm not going to toss my surlies over this one...
Actually, they're quite safe where they're sitting. You've obviously never worked as a machinist either.
Never claimed to be. Just repeating what I was taught about using a metal lathe when I was a teenager.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest wrote:They don't bother with that type of safety mechanism because the assumption it that the operator isn't an idiot.

Most metal cutting machines have a big red panic button to shut them off if need be but they don't do much good when your head is pulled into a spinning 3-jaw chuck.
Students = Idiots. Anyone working with potentially dangerous equipment = Idiots.

I did a search & didn't find anything.

The Big Red Stop button is no good for an individual. Maybe a pressure pad that the student has to stand on for the lathe to work. I they go off it, it stops. Or a pressure sensitive shelf for the lathe. If they hit it hard, it stops.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Gumby wrote:OK, so I'm immature.

http://i58.tinypic.com/x58nxy.gif
For fuck's sake, Gumby! I wouldn't touch her with yours. Being that close makes me feel like I might puke. Thick, white vomit. All over her face......

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Mykeru wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote: He was doing OK until he said that he was unaware of any terrorism campaign that has ever achieved its aims ...

Is Ireland an independent Catholic state? Did Al Qaeda achieve their aim of a pan-Arab theocracy?

Just because someone didn't fail utterly and completely, managed to accomplish "something" and got some "concessions", doesn't mean they achieved what they used the terrorism to accomplish.

Also, look at the IRA. I mean, which IRA, as there was the aor Uladh (1950s), Saor Éire (1967–1975), Provisional IRA (1969–present), Official IRA (1969–present), Irish National Liberation Army (1974–2010), Irish People's Liberation Organisation (1986–1992), Continuity IRA (1986–present), Real IRA (1997–present), Óglaigh na hÉireann (Real IRA splinter group) (2006–Disbanded)

Splitters!

I may be naive, but I get a sense that a fractious organization isn't one that's achieving much of anything.

The IRA actually pushed back independence. It is no coincidence that Scotland is getting the vote in a few months for Independence with no terrorism at all and Northern Ireland is not. The devolution in Wales and Scotland was not beset with problems and, arguably, they have been given more power as a result than Northern Ireland too.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

http://i.imgur.com/PPy2Sty.png

Ahh.....so Philip Seymour Hoffman isn't dead; he's just transitioning.

Some lurker

Post by Some lurker »

Off topic but does anyone have a good takedown of the "1 in 5 college girls are raped" statistic.
I ask this because while the stat sounds alarmist and bullshit I have yet to hear a decent response. The responses I have heard have simply been things like "most of the victims did not think they were raped or did not act the way I expect rape victims to act". The problem with this kind of rebuttal is that if the methodology for the 1 in 5 stat holds up then surely the above simply tells us something about how rape victims react to rape and therefore does nothing to invalidate the study.
What I am looking for is which questions from the survey that led to the 1in5 stat were misleading the subjects or how were the subjects' answers misinterpreted.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

Splitters!

The IRA actually pushed back independence. It is no coincidence that Scotland is getting the vote in a few months for Independence with no terrorism at all and Northern Ireland is not. The devolution in Wales and Scotland was not beset with problems and, arguably, they have been given more power as a result than Northern Ireland too.
Just being a bit of a devils advocate, how does it follow that what works for Wales and Scotland would work for Northern Ireland.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Ape+lust wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:He's nostalgic because people used to like him. Then he pulled back the curtain:

:hankey:
http://imgur.com/6l2Yj5s.jpg
[youtube]m0-ohru2_0o[/youtube]

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Some lurker wrote:Off topic but does anyone have a good takedown of the "1 in 5 college girls are raped" statistic.
I ask this because while the stat sounds alarmist and bullshit I have yet to hear a decent response. The responses I have heard have simply been things like "most of the victims did not think they were raped or did not act the way I expect rape victims to act". The problem with this kind of rebuttal is that if the methodology for the 1 in 5 stat holds up then surely the above simply tells us something about how rape victims react to rape and therefore does nothing to invalidate the study.
What I am looking for is which questions from the survey that led to the 1in5 stat were misleading the subjects or how were the subjects' answers misinterpreted.
Google Mary Koss rape study.

Follow up by Googling Mary Koss and (Cathy Young, Heather MacDonald, Glenn Sacks).

The critiques that stick in my mind are:

1. It's a 1980 study, getting a bit long in the tooth
2. Ill defined what people are claiming.
Do they claim it's rape, or rape & sexual assault? (*)
Do they claim it occurs to them IN college, or upto and including college?
Do they claim it's a lifetime statistic?
3. Many of the women Koss surveyed stated on the survey they were not raped. Koss ignored that and instead assigned rape to them based on legal standards. (IE the sort of logic that turns Baby It's Cold Outside into a rape song as opposed to a song of flirtation.)
4. It's anti feminist and patronizing: by telling women they've been raped rather than believing how they describe their experience you are removing agency from them
5. the questions themselves are ambiguous and for example, lump any amount of alcohol consumption into rape, and/or lump any sort of pressure for sex including "ah honey, I really want toooooo, come onnnnnn" whines into coercive rape.

I believe those apply to Koss, and they also apply to many surveys about rape since then.

(*)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... s-sexual-a
January 22, 2014
Memorandum -- Establishing a White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault
Studies show that about one in five women is a survivor of attempted or completed sexual violence while in college.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/01/ ... al-assault
A Renewed Call to Action to End Rape and Sexual Assault
Valerie Jarrett
January 22, 2014

The statistics around sexual assault in this country are nothing short of jarring. A report just released by the White House Council on Women and Girls entitled, “Rape and Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action” reveals that nearly 1 in 5 women, and 1 in 71 men have experienced rape or attempted rape in their lifetimes.
So the 1 in 5 shows up as rape, or sexual assault, and as youth till college, or in college, or lifetime, depending on who you talk to.

Valerie Jarrett is one of President Obama's closest advisors.

Another statistic, I recently read during the Woody Allen stuff that 1 in 4 girls is molested during childhood.

So 1:4 girls molested in childhood, 1:5 girls assaulted in college, how many women do you think are assaulted after college? I think it's safe to conclude either the stats are nonsense, or all women are assaulted always.

/shakes fist at Patriarchy

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

The 1 in 5 also shows up as 1 in 4.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ianfc wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

Splitters!

Just being a bit of a devils advocate, how does it follow that what works for Wales and Scotland would work for Northern Ireland.
You're not Devil's Advocate as I agree. NI is unique which could explain the issues of devolution there better than mine. There is no simple answer. The one thing I do despise is the far left's insistence that it is all one group's fault, 'The British', and their rose tinted view of armed Irish Nationalism when of course it is a lot more complex than that. But then SJW's so love to keep things simple. That enables them to label the goodies or baddies which they so desperately need for their cult narrative and their brains are incapable of nuance anyway. I always find it funny when they say 'educate yourself' when I find their opinions as subtle and simplistic as a brick.

Guestus Aurelius

Jan Steen wrote:Meanwhile, on Pharyngula...

Ogvorbis

Well, that makes sense.

Wait, what's that you say? You mean FossilFishy's trying to prevent harm from befalling his daughter? :think:

Dornier Pfeil

Post by Dornier Pfeil »

James Caruthers wrote:http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/
What’s wrong with exercising?
-snip-
The real problem, in general, is the idea that people must exercise, that we somehow have an obligation to do so, that we have an obligation to be healthy. And that’s pure shit. There is no ethical requirement to be healthy — indeed, no blanket definition of health that is not ableist and problematic — nor one to exercise. Shaming people because they do not exercise is a shitty thing to do. It’s none of your fucking business whether they exercise or not.

-MG
Wait, so many contradictions.

First I hear that fat people are healthy (they can be I guess) and the doctors are all in on a fat-shaming patriarchal conspiracy
Then I hear that it doesn't matter, it's their choice to be healthy or not (true enough)
Then I hear that you're not allowed to comment on that choice (not true)
Then I hear that commenting on someone's choice to be unhealthy, even politely, is bigotry (not true)

Not to mention this bullshit about "pain is always an indication to stop what you're doing." Um, no. Some kinds of pain are natural and healthy. Be healthy or don't. Be fat or don't. But don't cry victimhood when people comment on your appearance in a free society. Tell them to fuck off or whatever, but don't pretend you're as oppressed as black people back in 1920.
Thin privilege is being able to buy shirts at the same price as everyone else.
For senior t-shirt at my school, sizes small-xl are $15. XL+ are $17.
Two fucking dollars difference. And why? Capitalism, Bitch! It takes more cloth to tarp over that body, duh.
Thin privilege is taking self-defense classes after you’ve been attacked and not having people asume you do it to lose weight.
"OH, look at THIS fat bitch, she's only taking our anti-rape class to lose weight!" -said no self-defense instructor, ever.
Thin privilege is the fact that “curvy” is basically just a media code-word for “a thin woman with large breasts and wide hips”.

Thin privilege is the fact that “curvy” women are considered attractive if said curves are in their breasts and butts, but women with curves in their stomachs and thighs are deemed gross or unhealthy or lacking self respect/discipline.
Good news: "curvy" is now a code word for a pear-shaped woman with "curves" in their stomachs and thighs. All-lard diet optional.

You must be so proud.
If you expect someone else to pay for your healthcare there most certainly is an obligation to maintain some kind of good health and one thing the SJL'ers can usually be counted on to support it is the absolute requirement for tax supported universal healthcare.

Guestus Aurelius

Some lurker wrote:Off topic but does anyone have a good takedown of the "1 in 5 college girls are raped" statistic.
This isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's close. It's a takedown of the more general "1 in 4 women" statistic.

http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9502/sommers.html

AndrewV69

Re: I blame the patriarchy

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:
Extreme Park Crashes Taking Outsize Toll on Women

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/02/ ... eLarge.jpg

A Czech snowboarder named Sarka Pancochova led the slopestyle event after the first run. On her second trip down the course of obstacles and jumps, she flew through the air, performed a high-arcing, spinning trick, and smacked her head upon landing. Her limp body spun like a propeller into the gully between jumps and slid to a stop.

Pancochova was soon on her feet, and the uneasy crowd cheered. Her helmet was cracked nearly in half, back to front.

She was one of the lucky ones, seemingly O.K., but her crash last week was indicative of a bigger issue: a messy collage of violent wipeouts at these Olympics. Most of the accidents have occurred at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, site of the snowboarding and freestyle skiing events like halfpipe, slopestyle and moguls.

And most of the injuries have been sustained by women. ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/sport ... tw-nytimes
*shrug*

I seem to recall some women in Canada suing the IOC to be allowed to do ski jumping. Apparently the IOC relented after the women lost and then lost the appeal:

April 6, The IOC Executive Board approves one women’s ski jumping event (normal hill) for the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games program.
However, from the NYTimes article above there are no restrictions on "Extreme Park" (whatever that is) and so the women get to compete on the same field the men use ... so the women wind up with a disproportionate amount of injuries?

WTF? I never saw that coming at all. :bjarte:

BUT THERE IS A SOLUTION !!!!
“Most of the courses are built for the big show, for the men,” said Kim Lamarre of Canada, the bronze medalist in slopestyle skiing, where the competition was delayed a few times by spectacular falls. “I think they could do more to make it safer for women.”

Compare the sports with downhill skiing, in which women have their own course, one that is shorter and less difficult to navigate. Or luge, in which female sliders start lower on the track than the men. Or ski jump, in which women were finally allowed to participate this year, but only on the smaller of the two hills. The Olympics have a history — sexist, perhaps — of trying to protect women from the perils of some sports.
:o :o :o

Sometimes the only solution is to let people go ahead and learn the hard way. Just do not expect any sympathy or empathy from me. If you are lucky the only thing I will do is point and laugh. Be prepared for me to mock and ridicule though.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:
If you expect someone else to pay for your healthcare there most certainly is an obligation to maintain some kind of good health and one thing the SJL'ers can usually be counted on to support it is the absolute requirement for tax supported universal healthcare.
Exactly. Just like if we spent trillions of dollars on war in Iraq, there is most certainly an obligation to give each taxpaying American a picture of an Iraqi who is now free thanks to us. This is the whole point of the country. You pays your money and you gets to control others.

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

I can think of at least one recent "successful" single act of terrorism, namely when Spain withdrew from Iraq after the Madrid bombings.

Of course, the Spanish reaction had more to do with the fact that the government lied through their teeth, blamed the Basques against all evidence, and lost the election as a result (the Socialists had already made it clear they wanted out). Still, a win is a win.

You could also argue that 9/11 was extremely successful, by provoking and inciting the US into irrational actions that led to a massive long-term boost for djihadis. "Saudis based in Afghanistan and Pakistan are attacking us - quick, let's invade Iraq!"

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:If you expect someone else to pay for your healthcare there most certainly is an obligation to maintain some kind of good health and one thing the SJL'ers can usually be counted on to support it is the absolute requirement for tax supported universal healthcare.
I think incentives toward healthy behavior is the best way to go about it. I'm a bleeding heart liberal though and consider a basic level of universal healthcare as a fundamental collective responsibility even if the person receiving it is an idiot making terrible decisions.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Sunder wrote:
Dornier Pfeil wrote:If you expect someone else to pay for your healthcare there most certainly is an obligation to maintain some kind of good health and one thing the SJL'ers can usually be counted on to support it is the absolute requirement for tax supported universal healthcare.
I think incentives toward healthy behavior is the best way to go about it. I'm a bleeding heart liberal though and consider a basic level of universal healthcare as a fundamental collective responsibility even if the person receiving it is an idiot making terrible decisions.
I pretty much share your views and re Dornier's notion of an obligation of maintaing good health to receive assistance, I wonder who is going to define and police this. Australia has a reasonable taxpayer funded healthcare system and is not predicated on whether you are an idiot or not. If you break your leg playing football or have lung cancer attributed to smoking you are equal under medicare.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Sunder wrote:
In Australia we have public and private health care. The public healthcare system can involve quite long waits for non-urgent care and is free for everyone. The private health system does have discounts for age and non-smokers etc. I think that adjusting premiums on the obesity of a client would be problematical as it could be seen in the same light as penalising somebody who develops cancer.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

ianfc wrote:
Sunder wrote:
I pretty much share your views and re Dornier's notion of an obligation of maintaing good health to receive assistance, I wonder who is going to define and police this. Australia has a reasonable taxpayer funded healthcare system and is not predicated on whether you are an idiot or not. If you break your leg playing football or have lung cancer attributed to smoking you are equal under medicare.
ninja'd

Really?

Post by Really? »

ianfc wrote:
Sunder wrote:
And we seem to be forgetting the fact that a taxpayer-funded health care system saves a ton of money when a person drops dead of a heart attack at 49. People who leech off the system until 105 cost much more.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

There is a movie that deals with this, I think it's called Carousel. Obligatory euthanasia at 25.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Maybe we should get rid of the mongoloids at birth

Post by Guest »

DownThunder wrote:
Guest wrote:They don't bother with that type of safety mechanism because the assumption it that the operator isn't an idiot.

That's not fair to generalise that workshop accidents occur due to idiocy.
I never said that. The type of accident that this device prevents would only result in doing something terribly wrong in the first place, hence an untrained idiot. For everything else, there's a panic button to shut the machine off.
There is an infinite number of variables including things like fatigue or an unexpected distraction.
That's what the panic button is for.

Does that look like a metal turning lathe to you? As I said before, lathes have several times the rotational mass of a tablesaw.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ianfc wrote:There is a movie that deals with this, I think it's called Carousel. Obligatory euthanasia at 25.
I don't see it with Carousel.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Logan's Run?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/

John D

Post by John D »

DownThunder wrote:
Guest wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Lathes have existed for decades, but they still haven't designed a mechanism that forces a stop if things get tangled in them?

Seems like such a rudimentary flaw that should've been sorted out years ago. They did it with escalators, why not lathes? Or was it simply that this one was an older model? Ehh. What a waste.
They don't bother with that type of safety mechanism because the assumption it that the operator isn't an idiot.

That's not fair to generalise that workshop accidents occur due to idiocy. There is an infinite number of variables including things like fatigue or an unexpected distraction.

This will not work on a lathe. This table saw device detects the resistance in your skin.... like a touch screen. By the time your skin hit some conductive part of a lathe you would already be smashed up. I just don't see how it could work. Hair is not conductive and neither are clothes. I think if someone invented a safe lathe they would be rich and it would be very popular.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Guest wrote:
DownThunder wrote:

I never said that. The type of accident that this device prevents would only result in doing something terribly wrong in the first place, hence an untrained idiot. For everything else, there's a panic button to shut the machine off.
There is an infinite number of variables including things like fatigue or an unexpected distraction.

Does that look like a metal turning lathe to you? As I said before, lathes have several times the rotational mass of a tablesaw.
I think we need Cunt and Rystefn for this discussion.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

deLurch wrote:
ianfc wrote:There is a movie that deals with this, I think it's called Carousel. Obligatory euthanasia at 25.
I don't see it with Carousel.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Logan's Run?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/
Yep thats the one, enjoyed the movie. Carousel was the machine.

Post by Guest »

deLurch wrote:

Students = Idiots.
Yes.
Anyone working with potentially dangerous equipment = Idiots.
No, not with proper training and some common sense.
I did a search & didn't find anything.

The Big Red Stop button is no good for an individual. Maybe a pressure pad that the student has to stand on for the lathe to work. I they go off it, it stops. Or a pressure sensitive shelf for the lathe. If they hit it hard, it stops.

Many lathes have a foot pedal (it's a long bar in some cases) that shuts off the spindle and has a brake. That's the closest thing to what you're describing that you'll see on a shop floor.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Ah the big red button, never close enough when you need it.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Guest wrote:
DownThunder wrote:

Rotational mass? What the fuck is that?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Asking them their source for that figure is a good start.

Some random points:

* The 1-in-4 figure originated with a written survey of c. 3,600 individuals done by Koss back in 1985?? The questions asked 'has the following ever happened to you?' & described incidents that met the criminal definition of rape & sexual assault, but did not say "were you raped?" Koss' methodology has been widely criticized. For one, respondents self-selected. Second, it surveyed college graduates of all ages and asked 'has this ever happened during your lifetime?'

* Recent figures have been worked up in an attempt to corroborate Koss' 1-in-4 figure (& to save on printing costs for new posters). A 1-in-5 figure was arrived at (just barely, rounded up), but only by extrapolating sexual assault incidences among college freshmen women across 6+ average years of college attendance. However, incidence drops off dramatically after the freshman year (after the first three weeks of the freshman year, actually), and is exceedingly rare among grad students;

* Though these figures include all rape & sexual assault whether completed, attempted or threatened, they are usually referred to as "rape" by activists;

* US government studies consistently arrive at lower rates for the general population, for instance: 17.6 percent of women in the United States have survived a completed or attempted rape. (Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey, November 2000) . Or c. 1-in-6. Other studies arrive at estimates as low as c. 1-in-10;

* Sexual assault rates among lower socio-economic groups is always found to be higher. As these groups also have much lower college attendance rates, the figures don't match;

* The US Bureau of Justice Statistics found an annual incidence 1.8 per 1,000 for sexual assault. From 1995 to 2010, it estimated 619,000 total female victims age 12 or older, out of an adult (18+) female population of c. 119 million. (Those are the best figures I could find on short notice.) Somebody can do the math and extrapolate for more years;

* The BJS data are estimates of all sexual assaults, not just those reported to police. (Reporting is now at c. 40%);

* The FBI's UCR and the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) also have useful data.

1 in 6 is, of course, still intolerable. That's the general population; given demographics, the rate must be lower for college women. As I mentioned, the large majority of assaults occur during the victim's first three weeks on campus, and most involve alcohol. If activists are working from erroneous figures, the focus of anti-rape campaigns will be misdirected, diminished in effectiveness, and neglect more vulnerable populations.