bhoytony

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by bhoytony »

Southern wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
clownshoe wrote:*NEW* Full Frontal Zealotry podcast - episode S02E13
Trigger Warning: CLUNGE COMMOTION
http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/286
Just remembered I meant to praise you for the excellent show. Finally somebody who shares my view that Pussy Riot are shite (not to mention ineffective attention whores). FFZ my fave podcast.
Confirmed: Boytoy doesn't like pussy.
I do like clunge though.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh, Mykeru, CMON! Big picture of Rebecca Watson's smilling on the foreground and no Tigger Warning?! The FTB people are right: the Slymepit is a highly unsafe space to thread.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Peezus has decided to pick a fight with Dawkins over a recent tweet.

It's the top one in this list:

http://i.imgur.com/3rEt4KZ.jpg

I don't see the big problem. I'm guessing (from the other tweets he's done today on this question) that he's not discounting philosophy entirely, but rather pointing out a deficiency or limitation with the kind of armchair philosophy that had been common until this point.
Right, Peezus, because "natural philosophy" was the old name for 'science', then Dawkins' can't be referring to all the other types of philosophy.

I don't have a problem with Dawkins' comment either, cuz philosophy hasn't provided us one single, concrete, unequivocal answer to anything.
I think you’re being rather uncharitable there Matt, and not particularly accurate. Why just look at what the field has done to answer the question on how to reduce the unemployment rate …. :rimshot:

But seriously folks, one might argue that there are many concepts and techniques that have grown out of philosophy – arguably logic and science itself – that are of more than passing value; maybe the “problem” is that as the questions become more defined and tractable and useful the results pass into the realm of science.
I don't think anyone would suggest that philosophy and science are unconnected. But philosophy is an ill-defined term, and the fields of study within the purview of science vary widely depending on whom you ask (and in what language you ask in). So, whether "logic and science itself" have grown out of philosophy is a rather meaningless question until one defines one's terms.

Some people define philosophy so loosely that it seems to mean little more than people thinking, and with that definition it's clearly the case that "logic and science itself" have not only grown out of philosophy but are also in some sense subcategories of philosophy. Judging from PZ's defense of philosophy a few months ago, I get the feeling that he's decided to subscribe to a definition not too far removed from this virtually all-encompassing one.

Even if science is regarded as a subcategory of philosophy, it's still pretty damned different from the rest of philosophy, and that fact can't have escaped the earliest "scientists." They knew they were doing something different.

I don't denigrate philosophy. When done well, it demands much of and sharpens one's logical faculties. And questions that can't be answered are still worth pondering if pondering them brings you joy.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Guest wrote:
Why do you continue to address Ms Elyse MoFo Andery in a serious manner? Your Poe detector should be pegged out by now. She's (if this is in fact, a she. For all we know this is the BF of the girl in the pic) obviously trolling for the lulz, and doing a good job of it, judging by the response here and on twatter. The over the top name, obvious hypocricy (even more obvious than the hoarde) and outrageous comments should've given it away.

Once you view her as an obvious joke, her posts are actually pretty funny.
It's a good point. I just find it hard to believe the other twitter account is also a troll account. Trolls also tend to not post RL pics of themselves.

Unlike Oolon or Oggie, she doesn't seem as likely to be a troll. But she very well could be.

James Caruthers

Pitchguest wrote:
Must admit it was a surprise to me as I’d only hung out at FTB/Skepchick then a bit at Shakesville. So learning some of what the pitters/MRAs/etc say is actually true was a shock.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHA! AHAHAHA! :laughing-rolling:
I must admit, I laughed. What he said was truly :bjarte:

It seems a FTBlogger cannot even permit themselves to admit that the Pitt might once in a while say something true. :lol:

So now that Oolon has made them aware of the existence of TERF, a well-known wing of feminism which has been largely influential on issues like domestic violence (trans women excluded from shelters) and "women's spaces" (trans women excluded from these also), what will the pharyngulanhas do with this information?

Guestus Aurelius

<edit>
Guestus Aurelius wrote:
<snip>

... But philosophy is an ill-defined term, and the fields of study within the purview of science vary widely depending on whom you ask (and in what language you ask in).

</snip>
</edit>

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:<edit>
Guestus Aurelius wrote:
<snip>

... But philosophy is an ill-defined term, and the fields of study within the purview of science vary widely depending on whom you ask (and in what language you ask in).

</snip>
</edit>
Well said, I couldn't agree more! ;)

James Caruthers

JacquesCuze wrote: I was trying to be polite and not point that out. She apparently lacks any self-awareness. It does raise the odds of her being a Poe.
Yeppo. Very common, imo, among the NPD sorts. They may have some underlying confidence and image issues, but they project a strong impression of obsession with their appearance and acting like they're super hotties. Even though reality is usually cruel to them in that regard. :lol:

I find it totally reasonable that a plain-looking woman could go her whole life being pampered and spoiled, then wake up one day at around age 40 to find her looks fading fast, and still act like the spoiled bitch she was at age 12. Some people age but don't mature.

James Caruthers

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gefan wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: ...Somebody hire this guy a divorce lawyer before it's too late.
He doesn't need a divorce lawyer. He needs a new identity and a cab to the airport.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This .Gifan guy is pretty funny. He should maybe make a video. Some day, maybe.

James Caruthers

http://www.livestrong.com/article/72046 ... watch-out/

Someone needs to send this to Elyse's husband.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

real horrorshow wrote:
Wait, you're expecting Philosophy to come up with a final definitive 'answer'? Like what, 42?

Philosophy is not an event, it's a process, like science. Unless you assume the existence of an external moral authority, like god, then I'm afraid you aren't going to get 'definitive, unequivocal answers' to questions like 'how to lead a good life'.
No, I don't expect it to. I'm noting that, however long the process, philosophy never can.

To Dawkins' point: philosophers tried for a very long time to answer, 'why is there such diversity of life?' to no avail. Darwin got it: random variations non-randomly selected by environmental pressure. Has philosophy ever gotten even close to such a result?

What questions is Philosophy 'processing' now?
By the way, you're not seriously characterising what Carrier or Hornbeck get up to as Philosophy are you? I mean I know Carrier considers himself The Universal Genius, but come on!
Those two are particularly dim-witted, but they aren't unique in seeing philosophy as a viable substitute for scientific inquiry. And a whole lot of what goes on in philosophy is utter, nonsensical shit. Lacan was a complete poe, yet you'll find his disciples tenured at major universities.

James Caruthers

Brive1987 wrote:Avicenna really is a twat.
I don’t get Birthdays or Christmas or New Year’s Eve. Hell, the biggest party my country threw in the Royal Wedding, The Jubilee Celebration and the Olympics? I didn’t see ANY OF IT. I have given up a lot.
He's a sorry motherfucker, the poor, poor victimized man.

He treats the DDoS like a personal attack on him, like someone woke up that morning and thought "FUCK AVICENNA SPECIFICALLY, I hate that guy." He even bawwwed on reddit about it, again making the DDoS all about him. You can google it pretty easily.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Even if science is regarded as a subcategory of philosophy, it's still pretty damned different from the rest of philosophy, and that fact can't have escaped the earliest "scientists." They knew they were doing something different.

I don't denigrate philosophy. When done well, it demands much of and sharpens one's logical faculties. And questions that can't be answered are still worth pondering if pondering them brings you joy.
A good definition would go a long way right now.

I don't think no philosophical endeavors are any good. They can be useful ways to look at & approach things. Many, though are just crazy-talk or word games. Philosophy, however, never negates science or is a substitute for science.

So, what categories of philosophy are out there (past & present), and what do you all think of them?

James Caruthers

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

James Caruthers wrote:I find it totally reasonable that a plain-looking woman could go her whole life being pampered and spoiled, then wake up one day at around age 40 to find her looks fading fast, and still act like the spoiled bitch she was at age 12. Some people age but don't mature.

You gotta check this one out:

Everything She Ever Wanted

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

real horrorshow wrote:
Guest wrote:You're right, I dont know who she is, nor do I particularly care. All that I can go off of is an online persona that is as phony as a $3 bill. Perhaps she's just trying to be the Benny Hinn of Feminism, but it's such a transparent act that even other feminists have to see her as a fraud.

Are there videos of her curing misogyny by smacking people on the forehead and saying "In the name of Dworkin you are HEALED!!!"???

Am I the only one who read this as "Benny Hill of Feminism"? A concept so bizarre it nearly re-formatted my brain.
No, you are not the only one because "Benny Hill" is also how I read it at first. Once I recalled the "drunken frat boy party hearty act" she is noted for it all made sense.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Badger3k wrote:
Pogsurf wrote:
ThimbleBrain wrote:Does anyone else find it terribly ironic that someone’s here exhorting how there’s much less misandry at the slimepit, where “Thimbledick” passes for reasonable discourse? There’s nothing more misandristic then equating a man’s worth to the size of his penis. And nothing more skeptical than lying repeatedly about someone without any proof until the lie sticks.

Discourse. You’re doing it wrong.
My bolding.

His dick must be minute.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-475683
Forgot about this - he doesn't get it. By their standards, gendered insults are always sexist (well, we're being consistent about their views, not that they are consistent) - we don't consider that misandrist, just as (I believe) we don't consider "cunt" or "twat" to be misogynistic. So, we can say we have less misandry since we don't consider that insult to be that way. Not sure why it's so hard to grasp.
Personally I am quite happy to be described as racist, sexist, misandristic, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, misanthropic etc. etc. because all that means is that you are suffering from the human condition, you have lived a little, and have perhaps made mistakes. It is the fools that have deluded themselves into believing they have none of these qualities that you have to watch, for they lack insight into their own condition. To truly understand whether someone has acted in a good or bad way you have to understand their motivations and know what their intentions were in a given situation. This means you have to get closer to people to understand them properly. Pushing people away makes it harder to judge, not easier. Have you never wondered why the police round up suspected criminals and interrogate them, and then they speak to lawyers and then they are asked to explain themselves in court, and then only after all that is a jury asked to judge whether they did right or wrong? It's hard to make judgements about other people's motives, not easy.

Who cares if some little cunt with a degree in sociology and too much time on his hands calls you a sexist? I don't.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:
Guest wrote:
Why do you continue to address Ms Elyse MoFo Andery in a serious manner? Your Poe detector should be pegged out by now. She's (if this is in fact, a she. For all we know this is the BF of the girl in the pic) obviously trolling for the lulz, and doing a good job of it, judging by the response here and on twatter. The over the top name, obvious hypocricy (even more obvious than the hoarde) and outrageous comments should've given it away.

Once you view her as an obvious joke, her posts are actually pretty funny.
It's a good point. I just find it hard to believe the other twitter account is also a troll account. Trolls also tend to not post RL pics of themselves.

Unlike Oolon or Oggie, she doesn't seem as likely to be a troll. But she very well could be.
Very unlikely she is a troll. Amazingly, I think a few people are taking too much of what she says at face value.

As someone else said, most of what she says to her husband & then shares on twitter are not that far off from the normal banter than many husbands and wives have. Call them half jokes. Call it black humor in a bad situation. She shares them because she thinks they are funny & wants to share with the world the joke she made. Fair enough. LIke when she said she wasn't going to clean with him to take their minds of things... She more than likely said that. But on the flip side, we don't know if she then pitched in. Or if she spent the whole day cleaning. She does have a rug-rat after all. It would seem near impossible for her to get by raising that child with out doing a bare minimum of cleaning. Perhaps she had spent the whole day cleaning and there was just a bit of a mess.

Now a few on here seem to argue that she has bad tact by making jokes at her husband's expense, when things are down for him.

Now other things don't appear to be jokes. Like the purchases & the photos of her new stuff and her shopping haul, or the heavy drinking of wine. That takes more effort to mock up than to just a one liner.

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Even if science is regarded as a subcategory of philosophy, it's still pretty damned different from the rest of philosophy, and that fact can't have escaped the earliest "scientists." They knew they were doing something different.

A good definition would go a long way right now.

I don't think no philosophical endeavors are any good. They can be useful ways to look at & approach things. Many, though are just crazy-talk or word games. Philosophy, however, never negates science or is a substitute for science.

So, what categories of philosophy are out there (past & present), and what do you all think of them?
Epistemology ftw! Evolutionary epistemology in particular.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

In other news: Take this Atheists:

http://i.imgur.com/AMswG.jpg

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Pitchguest and Mykeru:

Monopod man was indeed identified, and he was most definitely not Thoms. Thoms is a Canadian dunce who started up the Northeren Skeptic blog. He is, or at least was, a deep fan of Watson, Myers, Laden, et al.

He was the first person I ever saw, even before FTB people, who actually went in and edited commenters' comments to suit his own particular views on discourse and the banhammer.

He also had a tendency to simply black out parts of commenters' comments that he didn't like.

Also, at one point in time, one of his blog hosts began adamantly, and specifically, redefining words to meet her own personal requirements -- sometimes to the point of utter idiocy. When I pointed that out, and included the proper dictionary definitions, Thoms threatened to have me banned for, and I kid you not, harrassing and intellectually assaulting his blog hosts.

H'e a moron, who like an oolon, think he knows way, way more about stuff-and-the-world than he actually does.

Guestus Aurelius

real horrorshow wrote:In other news: Take this Atheists:

It makes sense if you think of the guy in the picture as Jesus.

real horrorshow

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:In other news: Take this Atheists:

It makes sense if you think of the guy in the picture as Jesus.
http://i.imgur.com/70j3Y.jpg

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

rayshul wrote:I'm pretty okay with people touching and interacting with my kids. There are quite a lot of homeless people and student types in the area (inner city) and so we get a lot of hellos and comments and sometimes he shakes hands and gets patted or gets given sweets/drinks from other people. Yeah I know, my babies takes candy from strangers. :) I think it's lovely.
My father was working in his garden when a young girl crashed her bike on the footpath, nothing major. He did nothing because he was too afraid of being accused of hanky panky. Maybe a sad father but certainly a sad world.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

deLurch wrote: Very unlikely she is a troll. Amazingly, I think a few people are taking too much of what she says at face value.

As someone else said, most of what she says to her husband & then shares on twitter are not that far off from the normal banter than many husbands and wives have. Call them half jokes. Call it black humor in a bad situation. She shares them because she thinks they are funny & wants to share with the world the joke she made. Fair enough. LIke when she said she wasn't going to clean with him to take their minds of things... She more than likely said that. But on the flip side, we don't know if she then pitched in. Or if she spent the whole day cleaning. She does have a rug-rat after all. It would seem near impossible for her to get by raising that child with out doing a bare minimum of cleaning. Perhaps she had spent the whole day cleaning and there was just a bit of a mess.

Now a few on here seem to argue that she has bad tact by making jokes at her husband's expense, when things are down for him.

Now other things don't appear to be jokes. Like the purchases & the photos of her new stuff and her shopping haul, or the heavy drinking of wine. That takes more effort to mock up than to just a one liner.
Quoted for tr00f.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Is the online tag new or have I just noticed it

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

John Greg wrote:Pitchguest and Mykeru:

Monopod man was indeed identified, and he was most definitely not Thoms. Thoms is a Canadian dunce who started up the Northeren Skeptic blog. He is, or at least was, a deep fan of Watson, Myers, Laden, et al.

He was the first person I ever saw, even before FTB people, who actually went in and edited commenters' comments to suit his own particular views on discourse and the banhammer.

He also had a tendency to simply black out parts of commenters' comments that he didn't like.

Also, at one point in time, one of his blog hosts began adamantly, and specifically, redefining words to meet her own personal requirements -- sometimes to the point of utter idiocy. When I pointed that out, and included the proper dictionary definitions, Thoms threatened to have me banned for, and I kid you not, harrassing and intellectually assaulting his blog hosts.

H'e a moron, who like an oolon, think he knows way, way more about stuff-and-the-world than he actually does.
Okay, I thought his being monopod man was too precious anyway. That he looks like a couple miles of rough road should suffice.

The funniest thing is that you are totally right: He is the epitome of the crap atheist. You know what I mean, someone who goes around being all godless and shit not from any critical foundations, but because he thinks it makes him smarter than the common people. Meanwhile, he's a fucking idiot. You can tell from his insistence on "intellectual discourse" because he uses it in exactly the same way some guidette from Jersey Shore uses the term "classy", demonstrating that by openly using the terms, they ain't got shit. He'll grow up to be one of those bearded, pontificating, Tilly-hat wearing old-fuck douche-bags who, when I do attend skeptic functions, I want to punch right in the fucking face.

And he still reeks of Becky's ass-end.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Brive1987 wrote:Avicenna really is a twat.
I don’t get Birthdays or Christmas or New Year’s Eve. Hell, the biggest party my country threw in the Royal Wedding, The Jubilee Celebration and the Olympics? I didn’t see ANY OF IT. I have given up a lot.
HAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA

He doesn't have a TV like the rest of the 95% of the British population that watched the Jubilee and Olympics on????

What a seriously deluded muppet he is

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Cunt of Cuntcunt shows he's a complete cunt. World keeps turning.

http://i.imgur.com/HZvaUcC.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-750548

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Leaving this right here:
goddamnwin.JPG
(134.67 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Air New Zealand does some great inflight safety videos. However this one is causing a storm because of "sexualised" imagery of women.

Really? Really!

[youtube]SQDip9V49U0[/youtube]

real horrorshow

Mykeru wrote:Okay, I thought his being monopod man was too precious anyway. That he looks like a couple miles of rough road should suffice.

The funniest thing is that you are totally right: He is the epitome of the crap atheist. You know what I mean, someone who goes around being all godless and shit not from any critical foundations, but because he thinks it makes him smarter than the common people. Meanwhile, he's a fucking idiot. You can tell from his insistence on "intellectual discourse" because he uses it in exactly the same way some guidette from Jersey Shore uses the term "classy", demonstrating that by openly using the terms, they ain't got shit. He'll grow up to be one of those bearded, pontificating, Tilly-hat wearing old-fuck douche-bags who, when I do attend skeptic functions, I want to punch right in the fucking face.

Oh, he reeks of worse than that:

http://i.imgur.com/n7mPsKv.jpg

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Mykeru wrote:
...And he still reeks of Becky's ass-end.
I bet Becky's Patreon fanboys would love to get a whiff of her arse.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

real horrorshow wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Okay, I thought his being monopod man was too precious anyway. That he looks like a couple miles of rough road should suffice.

Oh, he reeks of worse than that:

http://i.imgur.com/n7mPsKv.jpg
Was way ahead of you months ago:
LADENPOOPERo.jpg
(555.07 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ianfc wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
...And he still reeks of Becky's ass-end.
I bet Becky's Patreon fanboys would love to get a whiff of her arse.
Not a problem. Just visit her liquor store the same day she stocks up. It lingers.

real horrorshow

Mykeru wrote:Was way ahead of you months ago:
[voice trembling with rage]But didn't you make your pic from my pic the first time I posted it?[/voice trembling with rage]

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

KiwiInOz wrote:Air New Zealand does some great inflight safety videos. However this one is causing a storm because of "sexualised" imagery of women.

Really? Really!

They do a pretty good job of sexualising the men also but who gives a fuck about the men. What about the vowels doesn't anyone care.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

ianfc wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Air New Zealand does some great inflight safety videos. However this one is causing a storm because of "sexualised" imagery of women.

Really? Really!

They do a pretty good job of sexualising the men also but who gives a fuck about the men. What about the vowels doesn't anyone care.
Those vowels are a sweet, sweet, thing.

There were men in the video? You mean those finely muscled, athletic, tanned people who do not look anything like me or men that I know. I feel so inadequate now.

Guestus Aurelius

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Cunt of Cuntcunt shows he's a complete cunt. World keeps turning.

http://i.imgur.com/HZvaUcC.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-750548
But what about when two (or more) women disagree on something? If you agree with either, you necessarily disagree with the other and are therefore Not Believing The Womanâ„¢.

On the flip side, HJ Hornbeck, who is quite convinced that PMS doesn't exist, could learn a thing or two from Cunt of Cuntcunt. I'd like to see Hornbeck mansplain to my wife that her PMS is all in her pretty, little, impressionable, brain-washed head, that it's just a figment of our sexist culture's collective imagination. (In this case, yeah, I think HJ Hornbeck really should believe the women and consider that the mixed data in studies on PMS probably reflect a range of physiological responses that vary among women.)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

real horrorshow wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Was way ahead of you months ago:
[voice trembling with rage]But didn't you make your pic from my pic the first time I posted it?[/voice trembling with rage]
She gives classes, you know
melodyfly.jpg
(100.31 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ianfc wrote:

Really? Really!

It is almost as if they hate attractive people. Swimsuit + normal person =/= objectifying. Swimsuit + attractive person == objectifying.

Attractive people. Stop being attractive.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

KiwiInOz wrote: ...Those vowels are a sweet, sweet, thing.
Yes agreed, I like the different sounds. I gather vowel shifting is very common perhaps Robokitty has some thoughts on this.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

deLurch wrote:
ianfc wrote:

Really? Really!

It is almost as if they hate attractive people. Swimsuit + normal person =/= objectifying. Swimsuit + attractive person == objectifying.

Attractive people. Stop being attractive.
It's a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition sponsored video with the hook being a trip to a South Pacific Island. It features well known swimsuit models, not Air New Zealand Flight Attendants. SJW should get a grip.

On the other hand, I liked the Delta Safety Video a lot more. (Warning: it is unabashedly Eighties-ist.)

[youtube]eduNjwNvcH4[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I like Chrissy Teigen. She has nice tits.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Taking about sexualising women, guess who

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/ ... sfeb12.jpg

real horrorshow

ianfc wrote:Taking about sexualising women, guess who

It's Cruella De Ville's grandmother from the prequel A 101 Acrylic Leopards.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

real horrorshow wrote:

You are right on the acrylic leopard a little hint
Please remember to make fat women of all sizes, especially women who find themselves regularly sizing out of standard plus-size lines, welcome in this conversation, and pass no judgment on fat women who want to and/or feel obliged, for any reason, to conform to beauty standards

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

ianfc wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: ...Those vowels are a sweet, sweet, thing.
Yes agreed, I like the different sounds. I gather vowel shifting is very common perhaps Robokitty has some thoughts on this.
Don't really have anything interesting to say, except that when vowels shift -- and they do all the time -- they can initiate a chain shift. When a vowel starts to impinge on the phonetic space of another, the migrant vowel occasionally pushes the resident vowel out, potentially causing a chain reaction until all vowels are maximally distant from each other. This is the principle of maximal perceptual contrast. When a migrant vowel fails to push out the resident vowel, it creates a merger, an example of which is currently happening in British Columbian English with the FOOT and STRUT vowels.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

The converse of a push chain effect, as described above, is a pull chain, where the void left behind by a migrating vowel forces other vowels to reshuffle to restore equilibrium. The result may be a circular chain, where A > B > C > D > A.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

ROBOKiTTY wrote: language stuff
Tar for this , gives me some googling to do.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Isn't this Grimms Betonungverschiebung or something like that?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: Tammy Bruce launches Feminism 2.0

[youtube]ZR9FHKKbMZo[/youtube]

(some of the comments ... lol)

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

ianfc wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:

You are right on the acrylic leopard a little hint
Please remember to make fat women of all sizes, especially women who find themselves regularly sizing out of standard plus-size lines, welcome in this conversation, and pass no judgment on fat women who want to and/or feel obliged, for any reason, to conform to beauty standards
That is she who is a threat to all couches and munchies. She is both Domino's great asset as well as their bane. She is the SJW so ridiculous there are other social justice warrior tumblrs set up just to mock her.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news: Tammy Bruce launches Feminism 2.0

I saw that a few days ago and thought meh. I thought she had some good points, some bad points, and that what she is looking for will never come about. But today, Paul Elam made an example of her.

http://i.imgur.com/bId3eQx.jpg
Side note: I have just suffered a twenty minute block in writing this piece. Not the kind of block that comes when you don’t know what to say next. It is the kind of block that comes with not knowing how to say fuck you in strong enough terms without resorting to larger fonts and the caps lock.

Fuck you, Tammy Bruce, in a regular font will have to suffice.
Now some of what he says makes sense, and some of what he says clearly distorts how she feels, and all of what he says is said in the most off putting way to ensure no one will ever listen to his message, and just consider him a nut and a jackass.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

[yootube]ZR9FHKKbMZo[/yootube]

She got a few things wrong, and in some ways sounds worryingly like a traditionalist, but I think she's on the right track. I think the kneejerk reactions against her are not at all warranted.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JacquesCuze wrote:

But while I am dissatisfied with my body, the fact remains that I am still considered conventionally beautiful. And I know this.

http://i.imgur.com/1T7juxA.jpg
You can tell shes a fucking loser - silly mare's wearing (almost) a Broncos shirt (or should that be socnorB?)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Mykeru wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Dumbest picture of Beckyflooze ever.

Have some nightmare fuel:
beckybooze.jpg
Ok ok, you win. It was an ice slab that did it.

Now for the love of christ STOP! :pray:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pol Pot?

John D

Post by John D »

Haha. Well... it is interesting to point out what the "women's movement" has done. The changes brought on by feminism has not made most women very happy. But.... Tammy's ideas are bizarre.

Men do not need to be civilized. Last time I checked we are just as civilized as the bitches.... just sayin.

Women do not need to say no. People can do whatever they want with their sexuality. What makes for a happy life is a tight social group that shares a goal. One typical way this works out is through a monogamous mother and father... but their are more options that will become more popular. Women are not about to start sayin no. The girlz are likin the horizontal bop as much as the dooz is.

And finally.... the old patriarchy is dying. Men are no longer as interested in taking care of the little wife and kids. Why?... there are fewer rewards for this. The wife can always pack up and leave. The kids can always tell dad he is a stingy poor piece of shit. The media defines monogamous fatherly men as stooges and dopes. Doodz might as well try to hook up once in a while, play more video games, and watch internet porn.

I am glad I have a happy glide path as I travel through my 5th decade. Life doesn't get any easier.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Melissa McChewen?