Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Guest wrote: sudo make me a sammish.
I patched that (parse)hole already. :snooty:

ROBOKiTTY

Re: meanwhile, in Florida

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Apples wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... ostpopular

Kenneth Haskins Set Apartment Fire Because Manager Told Him To Stop Masturbating: Police
Posted: 02/04/2014

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/1602204/thum ... -large.jpg
I thought that was a photoshopped picture of Ken Ham at first.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Gefan wrote:This may actually be even worse: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/ ... eropostale

Then again, it may not.
Either way, please, please bring on the apocalypse.
This is a young girl talking about something she loves to do often. Shopping for expensive stuff she OMG likes. It's like Oprah's favorite things/give away shows only she gets all the stuff. I bet a lot of young teen girls are living vicariously through her.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:My pregnant sister just told me that I'm having a niece!

So I of course told her to check her cis privilege, stop gender essentializing, and let xe choose xir own gender when xe is ready to do so.

(True story.)
SJW bullshit aside, congrats to your sister, and to you by proxy. Nice job, well done...etc

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Aneris wrote: Free Will?
However, while it is generally agreed upon that “free” doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want – quite the contrary as I just established – we are stuck in this system and can never replay time and see it if really is the same. When we come into similar situations, within that universe-system, we obviously can and routinely chose different than we did before.

Compatiblists (and I tend towards that view) fully accept that you “only” chose differently because of numerous chain reactions that “make you do it”. I don’t even find it useful to differentiate between different chains of causes inside our outside your body, since they go criss-cross all the time and the boundaries aren’t that useful, as I’ve established here.

It doesn’t matter if some part of your brain changes the state of another part, of if some other brain did it, and each of that is – of course – enmeshed in numerous other causal chains. Likewise, I don’t find it useful to refer to emergence, since causal chains happen on all levels of complexity, physical, chemical, biological, personal or social. Emergent properties are a product and part of the very same fabric. They aren’t mere illusions, either. If you establish eye contact with some other human, and three years down the line you both welcome another young citizen on earth, it is not just particles directly operating in ways available to particles. Evolution, or social conventions, culture and the whole outfit are (caused by, and are themselves) this chain reaction, too.
not sure if youve seen this video before or tuned into this youtuber but i think you and steers would be interested

[youtube]la31lOcbDHc[/youtube]

a lot of his videos are very good

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

So I of course told her to check her cis privilege, stop gender essentializing, and let xe choose xir own gender when xe is ready to do so.

(True story.)
SJW bullshit aside, congrats to your sister, and to you by proxy. Nice job, well done...etc
Nice job? Is this one of those Alabama-style families? (Lol)

Congrats to everyone, though.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins said:
I used to wonder why Sid Rodriguez managed to escape her ire (it's my experience that vindictive types tend to reserve a special ring in hell just for their ex-partners) until it recently emerged that the relationship ended when she suddenly moved in with Adam Isaac in 2010.
The plot thickens. Anyone have a link or know when she came back from UK?

I too used to wonder how she drew no patriarchal lessons out of a marriage which sprang from TAM. Her comment on the divorce always seemed sheepishly coy:

http://skepchick.org/2011/04/a-note-abo ... onal-life/

I see now her note was to preempt dropped jaws as she drunkenly climbed all over a new beau at the Con.

I had just assumed Sid eventually broke down in tears once too often due to his living hell and she walked away in disgust. I was probably half right.

deLurch

Re: meanwhile, in Florida

Post by deLurch »

Apples wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... ostpopular

Kenneth Haskins Set Apartment Fire Because Manager Told Him To Stop Masturbating: Police
Posted: 02/04/2014

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/1602204/thum ... -large.jpg
I fell incredibly bad for the other Kenneth Haskins in Florida now.
http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/d ... skin-yc3gk

On the flip-side, the one in the picture above would probably rank highly on the SJW oppressed list. Mental illness. Disabled. Poor. We should give him a free pass to the next Skepticon.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Okay, largely because my pain receptors have been effectively cauterized over the last few months anyway, I sat through Beckybooze's latest beer-money drive.

A question: If it's so fucking horrible that The Creation Museum made money out of the Nye-Ham debate, then am I to assume that this cretin...

http://struckbyenlightning.files.wordpr ... s-dino.jpg

...and his gaggle of fellow baboons got in there for free?

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
She has now set a clear precedent of physical insult.
Fat-shaming ('jowly'), age-shaming ('middle-aged'), baldness-shaming (this hasn't caught on in SJW circles, no doubt because it mostly happens to men), gender-shaming and race shaming. In the context in which she said it, we are to assume all of these traits are negatives.

In the jackpot of SJW bigotry, she has managed to hit all sevens. Proving once again that their SJW morals are less important than having people who are on "their side" of the issue.
Every time Twatson EVER complains about someone else who is xxx-shaming she should be reminded of this comment.

Every. Fucking. Time.
its basically all shes ever done

embrace geekdom, but unsult someone who contradicted her in youtube comments by insulting geeks

embrace feminism, but never concern herself with insulting other women using the same language feminists cry 'patriarchy!' over

she is basically the pinnacle if disingenuousness

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I thought Keith Haring was dead.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

deLurch wrote:
Gefan wrote:This may actually be even worse: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/ ... eropostale

Then again, it may not.
Either way, please, please bring on the apocalypse.
This is a young girl talking about something she loves to do often. Shopping for expensive stuff she OMG likes. It's like Oprah's favorite things/give away shows only she gets all the stuff. I bet a lot of young teen girls are living vicariously through her.
I've watched unboxing videos. Mostly for guitars and music stuff. I also watch other people playing and talking about video games. How dare I live vicariously through others over youtube. I'm a shallow wanker. I bet I live in my moms basement. My stupid creepy neckbeared cis male self!

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Don't go giving the SJWs ideas, Guestus! You know they're all reading this site... :naughty:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news ‘Fuck the EU,’ frustrated Nuland says to Pyatt, in alleged leaked phone call (UPDATED)
In a conversation leaked online and posted to YouTube on Feb. 4, voices closely resembling those of U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt and U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland discuss loosely the roles of Ukrainian opposition leaders and the United Nations, and frustration over inaction and indecision by the European Union in solving Ukraine’s political crisis.

The woman, who sounds like Nuland, can be heard on the recording saying “fuck the EU,” while the man, who sounds like Pyatt, refers to Vitali Klitschko as the “top dog” among opposition leaders but implies that Klitschko is too inexperienced to hold a top government post.

The Kyiv Post could not verify the authenticity of the conversation. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv had no comment today, but said that Nuland might address the issue during a press conference in Kyiv on Feb. 7.

The Associated Press, citing a State Department official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the matter, said the audio sounds like an authentic recording of a call that occurred last week.

If true, the disclosure represents a potentially big breach in security, which had been tightened at U.S. embassies following the WikiLeaks disclosures of several years ago.

The leak appears to be a smear campaign aimed to split the EU and U.S., who have been critical of the Ukrainian government's handling of the more than two months of anti-government protests. The tape is also likely to fuel Russia’s claims the U.S. and EU are manipulating and even funding the protest movement in Ukraine.
[youtube]Q6f3rHZV5JQ[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:Dick Strawkins said:
I used to wonder why Sid Rodriguez managed to escape her ire (it's my experience that vindictive types tend to reserve a special ring in hell just for their ex-partners) until it recently emerged that the relationship ended when she suddenly moved in with Adam Isaac in 2010.
She did an interview with a local public access cable channel in Buffalo at the end of last year/beginning of this year.

If you go to the 1 minute 20 second point the subject of how long she has been in Buffalo comes up and she tells the interviewer that she's been living there exactly three years.
And that she moved there to be with her boyfriend (Adam Isaac.)

That would give us a timepoint of the end of 2010/beginning of 2011.

As you noticed yourself, the announcement of her separation from Sid occurred in April 2011 - about four months after she had moved in with Adam Isaac.

[youtube]hL74L0-uXCI[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

New Rebecca Watson patreon subscribers only video.

NBC my note on volume below.....

http://i.imgur.com/2Zeib1W.jpg

Of note:

She doesn't know how to use or test her equipment and doesn't review her work. No audio - unless you turn it right up.

She slams NECSS keynote Laurence Krauss and warns women off him if in a bar. Passive aggressive "just joking" (approx 2.40 in)

Her genetic test shows she is "very white". I suspect she is secretly relieved.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Since the idea of free will was brought up earlier, I'm adding my 0.02 mewla as well.
<snip>
I think it makes better sense to think of a hjoomin as a set of overlapping parts whose prototype has been tooled to work for a common goal of reproductive success. That's the only reason its parts seem to work in harmony, thus giving the higher-level emergent consciousness the clue that the body follows its illusion of a will.
You may need to explain this to Steers, as he seems to think that "emergence" (and complexity) is a kind of "get out of determinism free" card.
Not exactly. Not that there are no causal roots to an emergent property, but that once the property has emerged it has some causal efficacy of its own, that it is capable of “starting causal chains” that no subgroup of roots is capable of.

For instance, the classic example of the phase change from water to ice: virtually if not entirely impossible, if I’m not mistaken, to predict or analyze a system based on the behaviour of one form when conditions of temperature and pressure have moved the system into the realm of the other. To maybe foreshadow an eventual response to Aneris, similarly with consciousness and free will: “mind” seems to be a rather different critter from “matter” even if they each happen to “supervene” [always wanted to use that word in a sentence] on or influence each other.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Not that I think it is that relevant, but you could probably narrow it down by looking at the change in backgrounds on her youtube videos during that time.

Post by guest »

I too used to wonder how she drew no patriarchal lessons out of a marriage which sprang from TAM. Her comment on the divorce always seemed sheepishly coy:

http://skepchick.org/2011/04/a-note-abo ... onal-life/

I see now her note was to preempt dropped jaws as she drunkenly climbed all over a new beau at the Con.

I had just assumed Sid eventually broke down in tears once too often due to his living hell and she walked away in disgust. I was probably half right.
last time they were together was Copenhagen.
Then she went alone to Skepchick con

went to Buffalo in September
marriage quit around then.
then asked Twitter for someone to mind her luggage & then did the Australian tour.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Someone commented on the comment by La Marcottee about the raepty raep creepy statue? Here is what it looks like:

http://www.boston.com/yourcampus/news/a ... 125381.jpg

*shrug*

Was this the subject of the article that our fair lass, that bastion of independant and thoughtful thought about thinky stuff that rightfully should be reported on by those organs noted for their journalistic integrity and sober second thought only?

Welp, a lesser light has opined that a Realistic statue of man in his underwear at Wellesley College sparks controversy
... the statue of the sleepwalker -- which is hard to miss in a high-traffic area by both pedestrians and drivers near the campus center -- has caused outrage among some students in just one day after its Feb. 3 installation. Zoe Magid, a Wellesley College junior majoring in political science, started a petition on Change.org with other students asking college president H. Kim Bottomly to have the statue removed.

"[T]his highly lifelike sculpture has, within just a few hours of its outdoor installation, become a source of apprehension, fear, and triggering thoughts regarding sexual assault for many members of our campus community," says the petition. "While it may appear humorous, or thought-provoking to some, it has already become a source of undue stress for many Wellesley College students, the majority of whom live, study, and work in this space."

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Amanda Marcotte is feeling her age: read what she has to say about college feminists:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... an_in.html
Wellesley Students Complain That a Statue of a Man in His Underwear Is “Sexual Assault

I'm sure this story is on its way to a conservative media outlet near you, where some white, privileged man in tighty-whities will roll his eyes about the hysterical feminists, which, in this case, well—good call. Still, one thing I've been trying to keep in mind is that the women getting wound up about the statue are really young and just starting to explore the identity of "feminist." College is a time for taking everything too far, from drinking beer to sports fandom to sexual drama to using your fancy new vocabulary words picked up in women's studies courses. Which doesn't mean that one should refrain from having a laugh over this, of course. Let's hope Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein are taking careful notes for the next season of Portlandia
So these 18-23 year olds are too young to know what they are doing, although they can vote, fight & die, drive, work, found tech companies, and of course determine their own reproductive choices and when they've had too much to drink.

They take things too far. Abuse jargon picked up in women's studies courses, and are proper targets for mocking.
Wait, so there *is* a point where you can call feminists "hysterical"? Where it's a "good call", even? Did I miss a memo or something?
To be fair, the statue is pretty creepy...

http://i.imgur.com/ihW9skD.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The latest from HJ Hornbeck, Autodidact:

HJ admits to having made up his own methodology for determining the statistical significance of research results.

Still no word on how many sexes there are.

Post by guest »

deLurch wrote:
Not that I think it is that relevant, but you could probably narrow it down by looking at the change in backgrounds on her youtube videos during that time.
from dragoncon, she's with him. he's on the end.
http://twitpic.com/2oel09

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rpguest wrote:
Aneris wrote: Free Will?
However, while it is generally agreed upon that “free” doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want – quite the contrary as I just established – we are stuck in this system and can never replay time and see it if really is the same. When we come into similar situations, within that universe-system, we obviously can and routinely chose different than we did before.

<snip>
not sure if youve seen this video before or tuned into this youtuber but i think you and steers would be interested

[.youtube]la31lOcbDHc[/youtube]

a lot of his videos are very good
Even though I haven't watched it all yet it definitely looks interesting, although I'm not sure that his conclusion - that we should "abandon the concepts of free will and determinism entirely" - is all that tenable or necessary. But thanks in any case.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The latest from HJ Hornbeck, Autodidact:

HJ admits to having made up his own methodology for determining the statistical significance of research results.

Still no word on how many sexes there are.
Seems that once you cross the “Rubicon” of two, and using what are apparently HJ’s criteria and definitions, one could say that there is virtually an infinite number of them – one for every last combination of every attribute that has ever been noted within the traditional confines of “male” and “female”.

Apart from any other consideration, even providing separate toilets for each at airports might be a bit of an expense ....

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

guest wrote:
deLurch wrote: Not that I think it is that relevant, but you could probably narrow it down by looking at the change in backgrounds on her youtube videos during that time.
from dragoncon, she's with him. he's on the end.
http://twitpic.com/2oel09
I don't think the fact that they are at the same conference at that time means all that much. If you look at skeptic conference group pictures you'll notice that the same people crop up all the time. DJ Grothe used to be the host of point of inquiry so the fact that Isaac (who used to work on that show) is in the same photo may be to do with those two knowing each other.
In fact I think Isaac is present in group photos from the TAM (8?) where Rebecca got married.

The question of video backgrounds changing is interesting though. Rebecca basically stopped making videos for more than a year, soon after Elevatorgate and therefore, if we can believe a timeline of late 2010 for when she moved in with Isaac, just after she moved in with someone whose job it is to make videos!

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

JacquesCuze wrote:Amanda Marcotte is feeling her age: read what she has to say about college feminists:

Wellesley Students Complain That a Statue of a Man in His Underwear Is “Sexual Assault

I'm sure this story is on its way to a conservative media outlet near you, where some white, privileged man in tighty-whities will roll his eyes about the hysterical feminists, which, in this case, well—good call. Still, one thing I've been trying to keep in mind is that the women getting wound up about the statue are really young and just starting to explore the identity of "feminist." College is a time for taking everything too far, from drinking beer to sports fandom to sexual drama to using your fancy new vocabulary words picked up in women's studies courses. Which doesn't mean that one should refrain from having a laugh over this, of course. Let's hope Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein are taking careful notes for the next season of Portlandia
So these 18-23 year olds are too young to know what they are doing, although they can vote, fight & die, drive, work, found tech companies, and of course determine their own reproductive choices and when they've had too much to drink.

They take things too far. Abuse jargon picked up in women's studies courses, and are proper targets for mocking.
Flip the script. Imagine was response a men's rights activist would get if he said "college is a time for taking everything too far, from drinking beer to sports fandom to having lots of random sex with different women to using your new men's rights studies words (gynocentrism, mangina) to find female privilege everywhere."

Imagine the feminist response. :lol:

But yeah, again we get a feminist with the sexist message that 18-30 (at my college, that's the actual age range, most are older than 24) year-old women who can own their own businesses, vote, fight and die for their countries, drive, work, become or not become mothers, live on their own, manage their money and choose their field of study are still helpless children who cannot be held responsible for the things they say and do when under feminist brainwashing.

Also I find a statue in its underwear very triggering. All statues should be buck naked to conform to the roman and greek classical standards that I prefer. :snooty:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

<snip>

Wait, so there *is* a point where you can call feminists "hysterical"? Where it's a "good call", even? Did I miss a memo or something?
To be fair, the statue is pretty creepy...

http://i.imgur.com/ihW9skD.jpg
:shock: :lol:
Maybe if it's removed from Wellesley it might find a home in Minnesota ....

James Caruthers

debaser71 wrote:Marcotte needs to Back The Fuck UP and listen to the women.
She's invalidating their lived experiences! They don't get to choose what triggers their hypersensitive feels, and it's Marcotte's job to respect that!

James Caruthers

Dick Strawkins wrote:I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/04/i ... -standard/

It's Marcotte trying to justify torch and pitchforking those you don't like.

According to her:
No feminists that I know of have ever in sincerity said that the court should throw out the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard in proving a crime. However, as Brady points out, that’s a criminal standard. It’s perfectly reasonable to have other standards for other situations, such as determining if you feel someone in your community is guilty and needs to be shunned as a danger to women.
So she suggests that we adopt a new standard - that of preponderance of evidence - that will suffice to condemn an individual to the backwaters of respectability.

What could possibly go wrong?

Those of you who weren't born yesterday will have noticed that it is trivial to find examples of people taking unsourced heresay as cast iron 'proof'. And even in situations where they don't assume the proof is enough on its own, they will utilize the woo-calculus - five pieces of unreliable evidence equals one piece of incontrovertable proof.

It is truly horrifying to recall that Marcotte was a prominent member of John Edwards team during Edwards attempt at landing the democratic presidential nomination. Imagine someone like her being handed power over others! :shifty:

Of course Ophelia is purring appreciatively over this approach.
Do any of these third raters have the slightest inkling of history and the fact that society has spent a century developing checks and balances to prevent this sort of lynchburg justice?
Buy stock in Guillotines now and you can clean up with the SJWs take over the US and UK courts.

I love how they claim you need two standards: one for the court, and one for in public. Of course, the legal one is the one where you reserve judgement and consider evidence. The public one has you baying for blood and always choosing the victim's side (if she's a woman) over the accused. They don't think that this will poison juries against the accused in these cases? I can't buy that. Their goal is to remove the presumption of innocence, and if they can do so while arguing that they are not doing so, so much the better. I mean, you have examples of feminists calling for convictions of men who were falsely accused of rape (the evidence that they did not do it being ironclad) after the verdict was reached. This has nothing to do with justice and everything to do with vigilantism.

You also see evidence of this in that many feminists seem to argue a single instance of rape or sexual misconduct should be enough to justify castration as a penalty. The same feminists who will argue against the death penalty for a mother who murders, will argue in favor of castration for a man who commits a sex crime. I thought social progressives were supposed to be in favor of rehabilitation? I know a guy actually who did sexually abuse someone. As far as I can tell, it took a long time, but he managed to be completely rehabilitated and is living as a productive member of society. All his life, he'll face the knowledge of what he did (which you can tell does bother him a lot) and people will look at him differently. Many people will refuse to associate with him because of his past. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve that punishment, but would it really help any if they'd castrated him as well? Perhaps we should go back to chopping off thieves hands. "Let the punishment fit the crime" and such.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

The fact that the debate raised money for AIG was Watson's only point that Bill Nye didn't demolish himself, and its as stupid as her other points. Because AIG is sinking like the titanic.

The creation museum is suffering from declining attendance(1) Ken Ham's "Ark Encounter" theme park is struggling and using sketchy methods to get financing(2) and if you check their webpage they have only raised about 60% of the fundraising goal of $24.5 Million for it (3). They were talking about opening that thing this year! So no, they will not be making their exhibits "more persuasive" as Watson speculates, they will be throwing that money into six flags over sunday school in a vain effort to save it from folding before it even opens its doors.

(1)http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _park.html
(2)http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2 ... ecreasing/
(3)http://arkencounter.com/donate/

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Gefan wrote:Okay, largely because my pain receptors have been effectively cauterized over the last few months anyway, I sat through Beckybooze's latest beer-money drive.

A question: If it's so fucking horrible that The Creation Museum made money out of the Nye-Ham debate, then am I to assume that this cretin...

Joggers and what appears to be a pinstriped suit, Myers must be a cunt.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

James Caruthers wrote:

Flip the script. Imagine was response a men's rights activist would get if he said "college is a time for taking everything too far, from drinking beer to sports fandom to having lots of random sex with different women to using your new men's rights studies words (gynocentrism, mangina) to find female privilege everywhere."

Imagine the feminist response. :lol:

But yeah, again we get a feminist with the sexist message that 18-30 (at my college, that's the actual age range, most are older than 24) year-old women who can own their own businesses, vote, fight and die for their countries, drive, work, become or not become mothers, live on their own, manage their money and choose their field of study are still helpless children who cannot be held responsible for the things they say and do when under feminist brainwashing.

Also I find a statue in its underwear very triggering. All statues should be buck naked to conform to the roman and greek classical standards that I prefer. :snooty:
Absolutely. This is one of those points that seems so obvious it has to paint those like Amanda who cannot see it as either stupid or dishonest.

I tweeted her earlier
Though I've never interacted with her on twitter, I am somehow on her block list. (Same with PZ who claims he doesn't use the blockbot) Never tweeted either of them, I am blocked by both of them.

BTW, there was discussion in the past two weeks that that ".@" reply thing was somehow rude or ineffective. I have tried to figure out exactly what it does and it's still not clear to me. But it seems that if I don't include the period then no one would see that tweet. If I do include it, then "my followers" (I am Jim Jones) will see it.

James Caruthers

Jacques, PZ spends more time on here than I do. So it's no surprise you're blocked by him.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:The question of video backgrounds changing is interesting though. Rebecca basically stopped making videos for more than a year, soon after Elevatorgate and therefore, if we can believe a timeline of late 2010 for when she moved in with Isaac, just after she moved in with someone whose job it is to make videos!
June 3rd, 2010. Last Apartment shot.
[youtube]IAlEcB4KNDo[/youtube]

June 29th, 2010 - Ha!
[youtube]c97BNzxHPm8[/youtube]

July 20, 2010 - New Place in London (more than 1 room)
[youtube]ohL6P6sMKXw[/youtube]

Nov 16, 2010 <-Last shot in "new" London apartment.
[youtube]HmZsQTb7eJM[/youtube]

Dec 21, 2010 <- "back" from world tour, new back ground. I am thinking new apartment to be better seen in the next video.
[youtube]WfL22R1t1mo[/youtube]

January 14th 2011<-Clearly a new place
[youtube]f31CeUzZ1CQ[/youtube]

March 31st 2011 <- Last video at new place
[youtube]Yw2iqnIQpzI[/youtube]

April 29th 2011<-New place again
[youtube]ybrVvTy2Nsc[/youtube]

Ah fuck it. At this point I think she just spends her life couch surfing.

I have no clue what this has to do with anything. But the "Don't be a dick" video was amusing with historical lenses on.

Oh, and I found this absolute gem.

[youtube]W8AicRGlDeI[/youtube]
Watch it from the 1 minute mark until the 2 minute mark.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Gefan wrote:Okay, largely because my pain receptors have been effectively cauterized over the last few months anyway, I sat through Beckybooze's latest beer-money drive.

I just want to say this: whenever I read the word "cretin" in reference to PZ Myers, I burst in laughter and I have to explain everyone that no, I'm not crazy.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

deLurch wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:The question of video backgrounds changing is interesting though. Rebecca basically stopped making videos for more than a year, soon after Elevatorgate and therefore, if we can believe a timeline of late 2010 for when she moved in with Isaac, just after she moved in with someone whose job it is to make videos!
June 3rd, 2010. Last Apartment shot.
[youtube]IAlEcB4KNDo[/youtube]

June 29th, 2010 - Ha!
[youtube]c97BNzxHPm8[/youtube]

July 20, 2010 - New Place in London (more than 1 room)
[youtube]ohL6P6sMKXw[/youtube]

Nov 16, 2010 <-Last shot in "new" London apartment.
[youtube]HmZsQTb7eJM[/youtube]

Dec 21, 2010 <- "back" from world tour, new back ground. I am thinking new apartment to be better seen in the next video.
[youtube]WfL22R1t1mo[/youtube]

January 14th 2011<-Clearly a new place
[youtube]f31CeUzZ1CQ[/youtube]

March 31st 2011 <- Last video at new place
[youtube]Yw2iqnIQpzI[/youtube]

April 29th 2011<-New place again
[youtube]ybrVvTy2Nsc[/youtube]

Ah fuck it. At this point I think she just spends her life couch surfing.

I have no clue what this has to do with anything. But the "Don't be a dick" video was amusing with historical lenses on.

Oh, and I found this absolute gem.

[youtube]W8AicRGlDeI[/youtube]
Watch it from the 1 minute mark until the 2 minute mark.
You have too much time on your hands.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

(True story.)
Thank you?

:think:

:bjarte:

Southern

Post by Southern »

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHERE'S THE TIGGER WARNING FOR TWATSON'S FACE OVERDOSE?! SOMEONE BAN DELURCH NAO!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Steersman wrote: Indeed. Part of the reason why I think that the analogy afforded by the engineering concept of “degrees of freedom” has some utility as I think part of the “conflicting understanding” derives from an all-or-nothing view, from the belief that our behaviours can’t be strictly determined in some areas while exhibiting some free-will in others.
I don't think 'degrees of freedom' are a useful concept in a discussion of free will, as they amount to a tautology. It's as if you're chained to a wall in a dark room, and you're saying that you're free to move so far as the chains and the dimensions of the room permit. It's technically true, but can you reasonably call that freedom?
If you wish to define freedom as an absolute then no. But then it seems rather difficult to claim, for example, that Americans possess any more of it than North Koreans. Rather important, I think, to realize that virtually everything, with the possible exception of the speed of light, is relative, that each attribute is subject to qualification and categorization.
ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Steersman wrote: I think that – “choice” – is a worthwhile and important element and distinction. However, I don’t think that your conclusion is all that supportable, at least if you’re prepared to concede that choice is something that is exhibited by computers and other control systems. ...
If your unconscious body has already generated a response or thought before it bubbles up to your consciousness, how are you free to choose? A freedom that you have no conscious control over is not really your freedom. If you are tapped on the knee with a hammer, are you free to choose your knee-jerk reflex? ...
That seems to be a pretty big “IF” there – you have some proof that each and every process of our “unconscious bodies has already generated a response or thought before it bubbles up to [our] consciousness”? Seems to be a case of an unwarranted assumption, a question of assuming what is to be proved, a begging of the question. Not to mention eliding the question of choice.

While I’ll readily agree with you that getting our knees whacked with a hammer is quite clearly a case where our “unconscious bodies” have generated said type of response, the question is whether every unconscious process so qualifies. Consider a case where we note that we are hungry - our unconscious body "talking" to us - and we decide – make a conscious choice – between stopping for a quick burger and waiting till we get home for something more palatable and nutritious. We consciously balance conflicting objectives and incorporate knowledge of our state – how much money we have, how long a trip, how much of a detour, availability of restaurants, etc., etc. – before choosing a course of action. And in that process and its conclusion is, I think, the essence of autonomy and free will.

But it seems to me that you’re trying to judge all processes by the criterion of a reflex, that you’re inferring that because you’ve seen four white swans that all swans are white – the problem of induction.

In any case, you might find it of some interest to read John Holland’s Emergence: From Chaos to Order – available in the Vancouver Public Library, last time I looked – wherein he analyzes the emergent behaviours of a wide spectrum of computer systems, from Samuel’s checkersplayer program, to models for neural networks, to cellular automata. But a salient quote from it that is maybe of some relevance:
The whole is more than the sum of the parts in these generated systems: The interactions between the parts are nonlinear, so the overall behaviour cannot be obtained by summing the behaviours of isolated components.
And it is that non-linearity that is, I think, both crucial and rather decidely missing or ignored in typical extrapolations from one set of phenomena to another set.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

bhoytony wrote:You have too much time on your hands.
It didn't take that long. The initial shots show the background. I am curious as to why the other person thought it mattered.

Two people get married. They get divorced. Fairly common in today's world. If that some how counts as some sort of failing of any consequence more than just the two involved, then almost half the population of the US is equally guilty.

http://www.divorcerate.org/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Southern wrote:JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHERE'S THE TIGGER WARNING FOR TWATSON'S FACE OVERDOSE?! SOMEONE BAN DELURCH NAO!
Sorry about that.

Here's something to cleanse your palate. No more face. I promise.

http://i.imgur.com/3j8EBXV.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

deLurch wrote:
bhoytony wrote:You have too much time on your hands.
It didn't take that long. The initial shots show the background. I am curious as to why the other person thought it mattered.

Two people get married. They get divorced. Fairly common in today's world. If that some how counts as some sort of failing of any consequence more than just the two involved, then almost half the population of the US is equally guilty.

http://www.divorcerate.org/
I certainly don't see divorce as a failing. My own curiosity is over the question of why Sid was never (as far as we know) targeted for vengeance in the way others who have crossed Rebecca have been targeted.
When relationships break down they rarely end in a happy truce but in this case this is apparently the result - or, alternatively Sid was not involved in the breakup, it was a unilateral decision by Rebecca (and considering she'd moved in with Isaac I think we can work out her reason for ending the marriage.)

Satan

Post by Satan »

James Caruthers wrote:Nope, can't see a single reason why any police agency would dislike the Black Panthers. Must have been 100% racism and nothing else at all.
It's naive to think race had nothing to do with how the Black Panthers were treated by law enforcement.

The violent right wing openly carries firearms to intimidate their opponents, supports vigilantism, and has killed politicians and police officers. Despite this, the violent right is virtually ignored--or even tacitly supported--by law enforcement unless it does something very high profile, like bomb a government building.

On the other hand, the Black Panthers were wiped out by COINTELPRO.

American society has a much lower tolerance for black men brandishing weapons in public than it does for white rednecks brandishing weapons in public.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Really?

Post by Really? »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
She did an interview with a local public access cable channel in Buffalo at the end of last year/beginning of this year.

If you go to the 1 minute 20 second point the subject of how long she has been in Buffalo comes up and she tells the interviewer that she's been living there exactly three years.
And that she moved there to be with her boyfriend (Adam Isaac.)

That would give us a timepoint of the end of 2010/beginning of 2011.

As you noticed yourself, the announcement of her separation from Sid occurred in April 2011 - about four months after she had moved in with Adam Isaac.

[youtube]hL74L0-uXCI[/youtube]
Elementary, my dear Dick. I love the detective work that goes into pinning losers such as RW to the mat. She's a terrible person, but she is an amazing survivor. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if she never ever gets a real job and never contributes to society.

welch

Post by welch »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:A sane take on the statue: http://juliakite.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/605/
Bra-FUCKING-vo. She nailed it.

welch

Post by welch »

and now for something completely different:

[youtube]efnJ2OidSc0[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

JacquesCuze wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
I tweeted her earlier
Though I've never interacted with her on twitter, I am somehow on her block list. (Same with PZ who claims he doesn't use the blockbot) Never tweeted either of them, I am blocked by both of them.

BTW, there was discussion in the past two weeks that that ".@" reply thing was somehow rude or ineffective. I have tried to figure out exactly what it does and it's still not clear to me. But it seems that if I don't include the period then no one would see that tweet. If I do include it, then "my followers" (I am Jim Jones) will see it.
Be careful. Tweeting someone on Twitter qualifies as assaultrapemurderfacebashinghatecrime.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Wellesley College is located in New Zealand. Student size is 2,400. 663 people have signed the petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/presid ... vis-museum

This might be a downside to having a single gender college experience. Lack of exposure.

Post by Guest »

Satan wrote: The violent right wing openly carries firearms to intimidate their opponents, supports vigilantism, and has killed politicians and police officers. Despite this, the violent right is virtually ignored--or even tacitly supported--by law enforcement unless it does something very high profile, like bomb a government building.

On the other hand, the Black Panthers were wiped out by COINTELPRO.

American society has a much lower tolerance for black men brandishing weapons in public than it does for white rednecks brandishing weapons in public.
Citations or FLOOSH!!!! :geek:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Apropos of nothing, one of my favorite Los Angeles detective series, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, has had a pilot made for it for Amazon Instant. "Bosch".

Can't wait to see how Hollywood raped it. :/

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

deLurch wrote:Wellesley College is located in New Zealand. Student size is 2,400. 663 people have signed the petition.

This might be a downside to having a single gender college experience. Lack of exposure.
Kiwis are pretty thick.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

JacquesCuze wrote:Apropos of nothing, one of my favorite Los Angeles detective series, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, has had a pilot made for it for Amazon Instant. "Bosch".

Oh, I like Harry Bosch!

have you read any of Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir / Bernie Gunther series?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ianfc wrote:
deLurch wrote:Wellesley College is located in New Zealand. Student size is 2,400. 663 people have signed the petition.

Kiwis are pretty thick.
Guys -- is it snowing in NZ right now? Besides, I recognize the road in that picture -- I've driven it a hundred times.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/0 ... story.html

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Apropos of nothing, one of my favorite Los Angeles detective series, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, has had a pilot made for it for Amazon Instant. "Bosch".

Oh, I like Harry Bosch!

have you read any of Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir / Bernie Gunther series?
No, never heard of them before, but the quick google gives them a very interesting setting, 1930s Germany.

I grew up in LA, so I'm a sucker for LA & California detective fiction.

welch

Post by welch »

They mean the one near Boston

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:and now for something completely different:

[youtube]efnJ2OidSc0[/youtube]
Is that Michael Hogan's voice?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

JacquesCuze wrote:No, never heard of them before, but the quick google gives them a very interesting setting, 1930s Germany.

I grew up in LA, so I'm a sucker for LA & California detective fiction.
If you like Harry Bosches character, you'd like Bernie Gunther. Kerr works in Berlin settings (and Vienna and Havana!) the way Connelly does LA.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re the RW wall of video posted earlier.

I note in the July 2010 one she said "I moved" at least twice. I know she is narcissistic but I reckon that's a good flag Sid formed no part of I.

In Nov 2010 she doesn't get more than 40 sec into the vid without explaining that a good hand-job should always be prefaced with wine. Oops.