Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Also, I think in the UK (virtually) all bachelors degrees are, by default, "with honours"?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

So in Australia we teach in 3 what others do in four .. :D

Typically our fourth year is an optional "honours" one (so for instance I have a "BA Hons" in History)

I know the Oxford Undergrad in classics is four whereas Cambridge is three. Weird how a basic academic building block is so .... subjective.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And a so called "Bachelor of Communications" is still a trade course best taught at a technical College.

You know, like engineering. Not real University stuff.

;)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Lsuoma wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
You cannot understand the full horror of duck rape until you have seen a duck getting a hard-on in slow motion.

[youtube]qwjEeI2SmiU[/youtube]

It's dethpicable.
FTFY

[imghttp://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/40499/1939261-daffy_duck.jpg[/img]
Nicely "fixed", you fascist tit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

It's dethpicable.
FTFY

[imghttp://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/40499/1939261-daffy_duck.jpg[/img]
Nicely "fixed", you fascist tit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
The first "F" stood for "fucked".

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... y_duck.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote:And a so called "Bachelor of Communications" is still a trade course best taught at a technical College.

You know, like engineering. Not real University stuff.

;)
As defined by the Oxford English Dictionary (yes I know :o )

"An institution of higher education offering tuition in mainly non-vocational subjects and typically having the power to confer degrees"

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Brive1987 wrote:Evidenced based feminism video is up from FtBcon

Near the end of the vid, Hornbeck says "As a man I will never have to look over my shoulder when I walk to the car park at night". Boy is he in for a very rude shock in a few more years.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Pitchguest wrote:By the way, I forgot to link to this delectable Twitter conversation, where Pharyngulite nutcase Ing is trying to project other people's feelings with little success. The guy doesn't even know who s/h/it IS! It's just really, really bizarre. I lol'd.

http://storify.com/elevatorgate/convers ... -and-ingda
This could be beautiful. I don't Twit, but it seems that MRA_Hater Poe'd the usual crew, including Ing and the hapless Oolon, and became authorized to block people on the BlockBot:

http://i.imgur.com/wiD9vVT.png

:bjarte:
That is hilarious. This appears to have occurred back around October 5th.
https://twitter.com/MRA_Hater

No wonder we haven't heard from Oolon in a while. So if Oolon had not disabled the automatic false flagging reports to twitter, then that could have caused problems for many of their accounts.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ianfc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Evidenced based feminism video is up from FtBcon

Near the end of the vid, Hornbeck says "As a man I will never have to look over my shoulder when I walk to the car park at night". Boy is he in for a very rude shock in a few more years.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... s-eve-dies

dogen

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:So in Australia we teach in 3 what others do in four .. :D

Typically our fourth year is an optional "honours" one (so for instance I have a "BA Hons" in History)

I know the Oxford Undergrad in classics is four whereas Cambridge is three. Weird how a basic academic building block is so .... subjective.
The UK undergraduate education system is quite different from the US one. A typical undegrad degree in the US takes 4 years, and the students come out knowing less (about their chosen major) than 3-year undergrads from the UK. The difference comes from the fact that students in the UK specialize from the age of 16,whereas US students remain quite unfocused/diverse in their studies throughout their undegrad stage.

This, however, flips during the PhD phase. In the UK there is (or didn't used to be -- MSci degrees may have changed this) no formal concept of 'grad school' -- you start on research from day 1, and there are no classes to attend. In the US, students attend classes for the first couple of years, and only then start working on their PhD research. These classes, IMHO, catapult them ahead of their UK peers in terms of their understanding of their chosen subject. I like this; but it has the downside of prolonging the time spent getting a PhD. In the UK it's possible to get a PhD before you're 24; in the USA, unlikely unless you're a prodigy.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

dogen wrote:

The UK undergraduate education system is quite different from the US one. A typical undegrad degree in the US takes 4 years, and the students come out knowing less (about their chosen major) than 3-year undergrads from the UK. The difference comes from the fact that students in the UK specialize from the age of 16,whereas US students remain quite unfocused/diverse in their studies throughout their undegrad stage.

This, however, flips during the PhD phase. In the UK there is (or didn't used to be -- MSci degrees may have changed this) no formal concept of 'grad school' -- you start on research from day 1, and there are no classes to attend. In the US, students attend classes for the first couple of years, and only then start working on their PhD research. These classes, IMHO, catapult them ahead of their UK peers in terms of their understanding of their chosen subject. I like this; but it has the downside of prolonging the time spent getting a PhD. In the UK it's possible to get a PhD before you're 24; in the USA, unlikely unless you're a prodigy.
That sounds like US students need grad school because their undergrad studies were so ... crap.
Provides illumination on PZ's tenuous grasp on relevancy though. What you are really saying is that he is a year 12 high school teacher.

Not that there's anything wrong with that per say ....

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Year 12 relevant to Aust/UK of course. I assume from this USA year 12 teachers are actually Year 9 equivs ... ;)

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

It took me ten years to get my degree. :( Including a barely successful jaunt in classical studies, where in my fourth year I realized every one was talking rubbish in my last required seminar.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:By the way, I forgot to link to this delectable Twitter conversation, where Pharyngulite nutcase Ing is trying to project other people's feelings with little success. The guy doesn't even know who s/h/it IS! It's just really, really bizarre. I lol'd.

http://storify.com/elevatorgate/convers ... -and-ingda
This could be beautiful. I don't Twit, but it seems that MRA_Hater Poe'd the usual crew, including Ing and the hapless Oolon, and became authorized to block people on the BlockBot:

http://i.imgur.com/wiD9vVT.png

:bjarte:
That is hilarious. This appears to have occurred back around October 5th.
https://twitter.com/MRA_Hater

No wonder we haven't heard from Oolon in a while. So if Oolon had not disabled the automatic false flagging reports to twitter, then that could have caused problems for many of their accounts.
Could it have been Oolon's own "friends" who complained to twitter about the BlockBot?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ianfc wrote: Near the end of the vid, Hornbeck says "As a man I will never have to look over my shoulder when I walk to the car park at night". Boy is he in for a very rude shock in a few more years.
Well then Hornbeck's a fucking moron. A Y-chromosome is no magic protection against assault.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Gumby wrote:
ianfc wrote: Near the end of the vid, Hornbeck says "As a man I will never have to look over my shoulder when I walk to the car park at night". Boy is he in for a very rude shock in a few more years.
Well then Hornbeck's a fucking moron. A Y-chromosome is no magic protection against assault.
Yeah, what a dickless pussy. People (including men) shouldn't live in perpetual fear of being mugged or carjacked, but it's not a bad idea to look around a little bit and to keep your ears open.

Oh, shit. That's victim blaming.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The idea in Aust BA tertiary studies (History) is that by year 12 school you will be writing essays that draw on secondary sources beyond the text book.

Three years at Uni teach you to entirely rely on constructing an argument from disparate sources plus be challenged by the tutorial system = critical thinking.

Year 4 honours requires you to write an original thesis (mini PhD) based on primary sources = research

First class honours allows you to enter PhD - because you have kinda demonstrated your research creds. Second class honours and you can try and prove your mettle with an MA that for exceptional students can convert. Otherwise MAs are useful for secondary teaching.

You wouldn't do MA or PhD without a defined purpose in mind.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

By barely successful, I mean almost successful. :violin:

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I comfort myself by bestowing a doctorate degree on myself, being a dictator, university president, and a deity and all.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Also, I think in the UK (virtually) all bachelors degrees are, by default, "with honours"?
Whenever someone says, "with honours" I always get transported back to that scene in Men in Black.

[youtube]OXRi28W-ENY[/youtube]

"With honours." Hahaha. It cracks me up.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Yeah, what a dickless pussy. People (including men) shouldn't live in perpetual fear of being mugged or carjacked, but it's not a bad idea to look around a little bit and to keep your ears open.

Oh, shit. That's victim blaming.
I simply would not take my family to the Sydney CBD post 10.00pm at the moment because there is a real risk of random bullshit. That is not living in fear any more than me telling my teenage daughter not to be a fool and wear Miley inspired clothing to Kings Cross on a Saturday night, or thinking that now might not be the time to visit the pyramids. Its just a typical risk vs return calculation.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:By barely successful, I mean almost successful. :violin:
In Watson's case, "barely succesful" is accurate. HEY-O! :rimshot:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

You mean fail. :lol: Kinda like when I realised what "classical archaeology" was all about after two years. The mention of "middle Minoan 3B pottery" still strikes fear into me.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Pitchguest wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Also, I think in the UK (virtually) all bachelors degrees are, by default, "with honours"?
Whenever someone says, "with honours" I always get transported back to that scene in Men in Black.

[youtube]OXRi28W-ENY[/youtube]

"With honours." Hahaha. It cracks me up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounded like Watson's audition to SGU after listing to a "30 seconds with Bob" segment. Spot the odd one out!

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Brive1987 wrote:
You mean fail. :lol: Kinda like when I realised what "classical archaeology" was all about after two years. The mention of "middle Minoan 3B pottery" still strikes fear into me.
Well, I voluntarily withdrew from that course that would've given me a degree. I probably could've made things up like the rest of them, but my religion frowned on such skullduggery. :snooty:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Well, I voluntarily withdrew from that course that would've given me a degree. I probably could've made things up like the rest of them, but my religion frowned on such skullduggery. :snooty:
You have proven yourself here as no skulldugger. Much KiTTYKrEDIT to you for that.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Agreed. The whole formal "look what I achieved" uni thing is of abstract value only unless you want to be an academic or use it for street creed.

Which brings us full circle to Watson.

Git

Post by Git »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
You have proven yourself here as no skulldugger. Much KiTTYKrEDIT to you for that.
Skullduggery....or skullfuckery?
skullfuck_xray.jpg
(82.79 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I was gonna become an archaeologist, but I grew weary of the skullduggery.

dogen

Post by dogen »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:I was gonna become an archaeologist, but I grew weary of the skullduggery.
You got out before your life was in ruins, eh?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Good decision? in hindsight you never can "tell"

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

When playing chess with a classical archeologist who specializes in Near Eastern studies, you must always keep an eye on Uruk.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

So apparently the recent EVE Online battle that resulted in the destruction of over 100 Titans cost more than the equivalent of $500,000 in damages. I think this should come as a wake-up call to society to assess whether it makes sense that so much productivity can be measured in an endeavour and blink out of existence in an instant, the stakes of which are ntirely controlled by one party -- the game developer-publisher dyad.

There are some huge ethical concerns to think about here, beyond EVE Online itself. Think about microtransactions, which are increasingly the primary earner for video game developers. We have companies charging money for all kinds of immaterial things, many of which are already on ethically questionable grounds. Lockboxes, achievements and badges, time-limited access, and the ability to skip gameplay designed to be soul-crushingly repetitive (grind until the heat death of the universe for this epic set!) or encourage spam (find 50 friends to click links daily for perks or to advance!).

The dark side is that a single act by the developer-publisher duo can wipe away all your progress and investments. A nerf can make your top-tier gear obsolete. A new resource can turn your imaginary money to dirt as everyone migrates to the new currency. Protest all you like, and the dev can ban you, and unless you're willing to take them on in court, there's nothing you can do about it.

The most insidious part of it is the publisher can pull a switch and yank the game world out of existence. All of the productivity poured into online and microtransaction-enabled games and the perceived wealth you possess in these alternate realms are completely at the mercy of the publisher's willingness and ability to host them. Players are responsible for pumping games with money if they want the privilege of continuing to pump money into publishers' pockets, and for any reason, publishers may still decide to take their business elsewhere. Capitalism reversed. The graveyard of MMORPGs is littered with corpses of broken memories.

I don't trust any MMO any further than I can throw it, not until users obtain essential rights that give them a stake in the worlds they're helping to create. I extend the same logic to online services (especially those in the cloud), though that's for another day.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Of course Bostrom has long set such petty concerns in true context.
http://www.simulation-argument.com/

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:So apparently the recent EVE Online battle that resulted in the destruction of over 100 Titans cost more than the equivalent of $500,000 in damages. I think this should come as a wake-up call to society to assess whether it makes sense that so much productivity can be measured in an endeavour and blink out of existence in an instant, the stakes of which are ntirely controlled by one party -- the game developer-publisher dyad.

There are some huge ethical concerns to think about here, beyond EVE Online itself. Think about microtransactions, which are increasingly the primary earner for video game developers. We have companies charging money for all kinds of immaterial things, many of which are already on ethically questionable grounds. Lockboxes, achievements and badges, time-limited access, and the ability to skip gameplay designed to be soul-crushingly repetitive (grind until the heat death of the universe for this epic set!) or encourage spam (find 50 friends to click links daily for perks or to advance!).

The dark side is that a single act by the developer-publisher duo can wipe away all your progress and investments. A nerf can make your top-tier gear obsolete. A new resource can turn your imaginary money to dirt as everyone migrates to the new currency. Protest all you like, and the dev can ban you, and unless you're willing to take them on in court, there's nothing you can do about it.

The most insidious part of it is the publisher can pull a switch and yank the game world out of existence. All of the productivity poured into online and microtransaction-enabled games and the perceived wealth you possess in these alternate realms are completely at the mercy of the publisher's willingness and ability to host them. Players are responsible for pumping games with money if they want the privilege of continuing to pump money into publishers' pockets, and for any reason, publishers may still decide to take their business elsewhere. Capitalism reversed. The graveyard of MMORPGs is littered with corpses of broken memories.

I don't trust any MMO any further than I can throw it, not until users obtain essential rights that give them a stake in the worlds they're helping to create. I extend the same logic to online services (especially those in the cloud), though that's for another day.
You can't apply the microtransaction ethics to Eve, it is unlike any other game. For a start you can't sell those in game assets easily and you do not buy them, they are created by effort within the game. So the value attributed is simply an estimate based on illegal sales value which is crap anyway as selling that many titans would crash the market as well as be obvious. You cant just buy a Titan anyway and expect to keep it as they cant be docked and are trivial to scan down. You won't even have someone who can pilot it. So only an idiot would buy one or another corporation large enough but they would have their own so why would they bother to pay real cash for it?

These Titans are not owned by one or several players, they are owned by corporations and alliances which have agreed anything goes in the game, including lying, cheating and destroying. Titans need a considerable support network to be of any use (like carriers in the Navy) The relationships between players, corporations and alliances is highly complex which is why the game is deeper than any other MMORPG can even dream of. Eve is an SJW's worst nightmare and the whole premise of the game is managing risk and a real fear of loss which other games do not provide. If that loss was not real most people playing the game, including myself at one time, would not be playing it.

So while your comments may be valid for many games they are irrelevant to Eve in my opinion. It is not like any other game on the market.

In other words assets in Eve do not make you better in the game at all. There is no such thing as a 'Sword of death' and anyone who tries to buy their way into the game will fail. A skilled player with a crap ship will always thrash a novice with superior ships. In fact the level of ships is relative to their intended purpose rather than 'better'. Assets may enable you to do something but player skill, nerve and effort are all that counts. If the developers pulled the plug people would not be crying about lost assets, they would be crying the game they enjoy is gone.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I'm speaking in abstract terms. Now I don't play EVE, as the kind of cutthroat laissez-faire PvP system simply does not appeal to me, but I think the general idea still works in its case. Time is an investment as much as money, so the difference can be abstracted away. If CCP Games hadn't designed the game to work this way, it would not be like this. They hold the power to crash any aspect of the in-game economy, and while popular backlash may keep developers from making unpopular decisions, the customers and the owners are in an unequal mutualistic relationship, as in any other MMO or online service.

I think the question is still valid: is it right that a company is able to create an alternate reality in which the rules are such that people may make substantial investments (with time or money or emotionally) and yet lose any satisfaction they may derive from that investment at any moment? I think the usual free market rhetoric totally fails here, because people cannot walk away and find another supplier of the same alternate reality -- each one, however derivative, is by design a unique subjective experience. Indeed, IP law expressly forbids the latter from happening.

Many common practices in MMOs and other microtransaction-enabled games are ethically similar to gambling, which society rightly regulates. I think there's a lot that could be done to reduce the harm and rein in greed in the industry.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 8JJU0hlq3X
Has anyone been following the Amanda Knox case?

I'm still confused over the whole thing. It doesn't look a cut and dried case to me based on the evidence I've seen however I've noticed that some prominent US legal commenters seem to think the decision to find her and her former boyfriend guilty of murder (at her recent retrial) was not unfair.

Putting aside the question of evidence for a second and concentrating only on the legal judgement, what we have here is a US citizen convicted of the sexual assault and murder of a woman.
She is remaining in the US at present and has said she will fight any extradition proceedings (her ex-boyfriend has already been arrested due to the worry that he will attempt to flee Italy).
In effect this means that the US is presently harboring someone who has been convicted of rape and murder.

This is far beyond the Roman Polanski situation in terms of gravity and finality.
Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that those who seek to end rape culture should be up in arms about?

Where are the SJW campaigns to have Knox extradited?
:think: Have I missed them?

Post by guest »

Brive1987 wrote:It is clear from every reading of SGU that Watson is "not into science" and secretly (or not so) disassociates from those that are.

She is also somewhat less than stellar (see what I did there?) when it comes to academic theories and models relating to gender studies - a niche opportunity she gripped with two dead hands.

Her main claim to fame is being the self defined unattainable goal of the JREF forum nerds which then extended to the wider skeptic community via SkepChick, the coquettish female gender balancing snarky triple bottom line colour and movement of SGU and the unwitting catalyst for the schism via a completely un-preplanned stream of consciousness video which happened to superficially hit at least 4 trigger points.

I have just cancelled my $1 a month patreon support. I will reinstate for the group - but only if anyone is interested in the lolz.
Ripping off a $1 paid product for lots forfree does appeal as sure it shits her. But I worry if you find it painful? How bad was it? Curious about if standards of her vids will continue to drop.

Australian degrees aren't padded like USA degees with Liberal Arts requirements like having to have language and culture electives. Usa prides itself on well rounded grads and leave focus for post grad studies.
Ive heard of Austrlians being ahead due to the focus the can have with is absent in the USA ones.

Post by guest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 8JJU0hlq3X

I'm still confused over the whole thing. It doesn't look a cut and dried case to me based on the evidence I've seen however I've noticed that some prominent US legal commenters seem to think the decision to find her and her former boyfriend guilty of murder (at her recent retrial) was not unfair.

Putting aside the question of evidence for a second and concentrating only on the legal judgement, what we have here is a US citizen convicted of the sexual assault and murder of a woman.
She is remaining in the US at present and has said she will fight any extradition proceedings (her ex-boyfriend has already been arrested due to the worry that he will attempt to flee Italy).
In effect this means that the US is presently harboring someone who has been convicted of rape and murder.

This is far beyond the Roman Polanski situation in terms of gravity and finality.
Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that those who seek to end rape culture should be up in arms about?

No campaign see Vanity Fair sites for good iverviews

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I heard it was a double jeopardy issue that would make the USA think twice about handing her over.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

guest wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:It is clear from every reading of SGU that Watson is "not into science" and secretly (or not so) disassociates from those that are.

She is also somewhat less than stellar (see what I did there?) when it comes to academic theories and models relating to gender studies - a niche opportunity she gripped with two dead hands.

Her main claim to fame is being the self defined unattainable goal of the JREF forum nerds which then extended to the wider skeptic community via SkepChick, the coquettish female gender balancing snarky triple bottom line colour and movement of SGU and the unwitting catalyst for the schism via a completely un-preplanned stream of consciousness video which happened to superficially hit at least 4 trigger points.

I have just cancelled my $1 a month patreon support. I will reinstate for the group - but only if anyone is interested in the lolz.
Ripping off a $1 paid product for lots forfree does appeal as sure it shits her. But I worry if you find it painful? How bad was it? Curious about if standards of her vids will continue to drop.

Australian degrees aren't padded like USA degees with Liberal Arts requirements like having to have language and culture electives. Usa prides itself on well rounded grads and leave focus for post grad studies.
Ive heard of Austrlians being ahead due to the focus the can have with is absent in the USA ones.
You are right. It was the beer talking today. I will reinstate the lolz.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

dogen wrote:

I got my first doctorate at about 15. It was in Divinity. Just filled in the coupon in the comic book and sent off my $10. The certificate looks considerably more impressive than my actual PhD and, in general, has been far more useful.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:

I heard it was a double jeopardy issue that would make the USA think twice about handing her over.
That would only be the case if the initial verdict was not guilty and the second guilty. In the case of Knox this isn't the case - she was found guilty in the original trial.

Cocheese

Post by Cocheese »

ROBOKiTTY wrote: I think the question is still valid: is it right that a company is able to create an alternate reality in which the rules are such that people may make substantial investments (with time or money or emotionally) and yet lose any satisfaction they may derive from that investment at any moment? I think the usual free market rhetoric totally fails here, because people cannot walk away and find another supplier of the same alternate reality -- each one, however derivative, is by design a unique subjective experience. Indeed, IP law expressly forbids the latter from happening.
When you buy and play an mmo, you're paying for an entertainment service. Whatever investments you make in terms of time and effort are done with the explicit knowledge that the virtual world you are inhabiting could cease to exist at any time.

Consider a bricks and mortar business like a neighbourhood pub. You may spend many years as a regular there, and invest a lot of time, effort, and money into building relationships with the other regulars. But you do that knowing full well that you'll have no recourse and will receive no compensation if that pub shuts down and disappears.

AnonymousCowherd

Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA! WHAT??! The talk labelled "Evidence-based Feminism" is by HJ Hornbeck?? SOLO? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1) I love that he's wearing an A+ shirt, even though Peezus and Beckybooze spend a lot of their time denying there's any connection at all between the groups and their philosophies.

2) HE'S MANSPLAINING! Or is he not a cismale PONC?
I can't be arsed watching that - but that's OK, the A+ team should post a transcript for the arse-impaired Real Soon Now. Won't it?

AnonymousCowherd

Brive1987 wrote:The idea in Aust BA tertiary studies (History) is that by year 12 school you will be writing essays that draw on secondary sources beyond the text book.

Three years at Uni teach you to entirely rely on constructing an argument from disparate sources plus be challenged by the tutorial system = critical thinking.

Year 4 honours requires you to write an original thesis (mini PhD) based on primary sources = research

First class honours allows you to enter PhD - because you have kinda demonstrated your research creds. Second class honours and you can try and prove your mettle with an MA that for exceptional students can convert. Otherwise MAs are useful for secondary teaching.

You wouldn't do MA or PhD without a defined purpose in mind.
There also used to be a "Pass Masters" for those who didn't get into the Honours year, which didn't go any further but gave a fourth year qualification for various things. This was at least one step up from the Pass Masters at (I think) Oxford some years ago, which involved paying an extra tenner at the end of the degree to convert it. At least one previous Oz PM took advantage, according to his numerous enemies.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: AHAHAHAHAHAHA! WHAT??! The talk labelled "Evidence-based Feminism" is by HJ Hornbeck?? SOLO? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1) I love that he's wearing an A+ shirt, even though Peezus and Beckybooze spend a lot of their time denying there's any connection at all between the groups and their philosophies.

I can't be arsed watching that - but that's OK, the A+ team should post a transcript for the arse-impaired Real Soon Now. Won't it?
I watched a tad bit of it. The initial part he was kind of all over the map and hard to follow, so that small section of time boils down to poor speech writing. But then he got into a groove of explaining how several meta-studies he had read support that men & women are more alike than they are different on a large number of subjects. Overall, an idea that I subscribe to myself, so I kind of liked it. But it was kind of long & repetitive. At the point I dropped out, he hadn't really gone into detail on the studies & I had better things to do than to hear someone preach to my choir if it didn't provide new useful information. He may have done better or gone elsewhere.

Visual aids would have helped in his talk. He did provide a QRCode at the start of the talk on a board, but that was on a low resolution youtube broadcast. I kind of doubted that it QRcode would work. But by the time I brought out my cell phone camera to test it out, it was gone.

Remember. Not everything every FTB associate says is instantly wrong or stupid. There is good & bad.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA! WHAT??! The talk labelled "Evidence-based Feminism" is by HJ Hornbeck?? SOLO? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh shit, I totally forgot about that. Yeah. That's a point. Where's the fucking transcript?

Doesn't Lousy realise that he's preventing the hearing impaired from Hornbecks "Evidence-based Feminist(tm)" wisdom? Tsk tsk tsk. Shameful. :bjarte:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:

Allan Dershovitz on the question of double jeopardy and the case against Knox:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v ... homepage-t

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Allan Dershovitz on the question of double jeopardy and the case against Knox:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v ... homepage-t
My ten minute speed-judgment. I've literally never concentrated on the case and just spent ten minutes reviewing it, but I'm now ready to render my infinitely wise judgment:

She's obviously a narcissist and opportunist, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's Hannibal Lecter. Anyone who gets prettied up and accepts three million dollars for an interview pursuant to a woman's murder is seriously fucked in the head, but again, that doesn't a Hannibal Lecter make. People should consider whether the prurience and hysteria that leads them to believe she's a psychopathic murderer doesn't actually originate in their own urges and imagination. Also, and I think this should be considered with a certain amount of weight, the public has kind of been primed to be credulous to this kind of story by fictional accounts. For instance, consider the Talented Mr. Ripley movies, that involve young, traveling Americans who just happen to turn out being psychopathic serial killers. So, it's quite possible that the public are subconsciously following a fictionalized narrative and applying it to events as they unfold.

Anyway, that's my 10-minute opinion, take it or leave it.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:[.quote="Brive1987"][.img]http://i.imgur.com/0W0Pc3n.jpg[/img][./quote]

He uploaded it here:
Transcript on Google Docs, I haven't watched it and didn't read it. I'm currently digesting the Free Will debate, as sparked by Dennett and Harris.

Even though they nowadays try to distance themselves from A+, they are not really in a position to do so, since according to them it is the default position of every good person around. By definition, being some common, basic sensible things, would automatically make you an enemy: you can't be neutral on e.g. slavery, either. How could you reject equality, treating women as people, and so on? Well, if you don't reject this, you are Atheism Plus, by definition. They should be held by that standard until the end of time, or until they apologize and set the matter straight.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Whargarbl!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Becky Whatnot's latest:

http://i.imgur.com/8LAd5yV.png
When I was in college pursuing a bachelor of science in communication...
I love it! Instead of just saying "pursuing a degree in communication", or even "pursing a BS", she had to go with the uncommon variant of "pursuing a bachelor of science". I think she is starting to feel the heat on her lack of science credentials, and her blatant cheek in calling herself a science blogger. But who knows, maybe when she says she was "pursuing a bachelor of science in communication", maybe she just means she was chasing an unmarried scientist, plaguing him with phonecalls and emails?
I cannot tell you how many times it was beaten into me that sex does not sell.
Err, trigger warning, please? That is an excrutiatingly poorly-judged choice of phrase, Becky. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

http://skepchick.org/2014/01/petas-sexu ... dont-work/
Very interesting wording. Makes me wonder if maybe she never actually got her degree. Instead of saying "When I was in college pursuing a bachelor of science in communication", wouldn't a graduate say something more like "When I was in college getting my [or at least pursuing my] bachelor of science in communication"?

Also, I'm pretty sure that there a lot of evidence that sex does indeed sell. It attracts the attention of the target potential customers (both men and women). Maybe what she remembers is some teacher disapproving and saying that sex shouldn't sell.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:I'm speaking in abstract terms. Now I don't play EVE, as the kind of cutthroat laissez-faire PvP system simply does not appeal to me, but I think the general idea still works in its case. Time is an investment as much as money, so the difference can be abstracted away. If CCP Games hadn't designed the game to work this way, it would not be like this. They hold the power to crash any aspect of the in-game economy, and while popular backlash may keep developers from making unpopular decisions, the customers and the owners are in an unequal mutualistic relationship, as in any other MMO or online service.

I think the question is still valid: is it right that a company is able to create an alternate reality in which the rules are such that people may make substantial investments (with time or money or emotionally) and yet lose any satisfaction they may derive from that investment at any moment? I think the usual free market rhetoric totally fails here, because people cannot walk away and find another supplier of the same alternate reality -- each one, however derivative, is by design a unique subjective experience. Indeed, IP law expressly forbids the latter from happening.

Many common practices in MMOs and other microtransaction-enabled games are ethically similar to gambling, which society rightly regulates. I think there's a lot that could be done to reduce the harm and rein in greed in the industry.
There are countless online games of course they can walk away. Also most if not all games with micro transactions which you can use to buy advancement suck badly (as opposed to fluff items which is totally different) and have a short shelf life. If people are addicted to that then tough luck, they are simply too dumb to be helped.

Anyway Eve-Online does not do micro-transactions like that and the company gets zero income for the replacement of destroyed assets. So using the $500,000 as an example is a very bad one. It's not even a real figure, someone made it up. So I suspect you are making a gross generalization without knowing the numerous types of micro transactions and what they actually do in any given game. They all vary.

If you want to regulate it all then go ahead, big brother will love that. Personally I think adults should be treated as adults and not protected from every consequence of their actions. If they are dumb enough to buy their way into a game the game invariably sucks anyway (you can't in Eve, you will lose the lot fast if you tried) and they will be too dumb to use whatever they have outside puerile and meanlingless bragging rights.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Hunt wrote:She's obviously a narcissist and opportunist, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's Hannibal Lecter. Anyone who gets prettied up and accepts three million dollars for an interview pursuant to a woman's murder is seriously fucked in the head, but again, that doesn't a Hannibal Lecter make.
She has spent years in jail. She has had legal fees up the wazoo, and more coming down the pike to fight extradition. She didn't get to complete her education. Her reputation in this matter is spread far and wide so career options might be a little more difficult. Those interviews are the only asset she has.

If I were in her shoes, I don't think I would feel as if there is much choice.

The Hispanic guy who killed Levon Martin has taken to selling crappy oil paintings on ebay to get a little bit of scratch money.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

But on the flip side, I probably wouldn't not have killed my roommate in a threesome gone wrong.