Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by John D »

Sulman wrote:Best put your umbrellas up.

http://www.starstryder.com/2013/11/06/t ... -humanity/
I think someone talked about my boobs at work so I have PTSD. Is this the story? Am I missing something?

(So my daughter, who is well endowed, is walking through her college dorm when a guy yells, "Hey girl... does your momma know you're wearin a shirt like that?" and my daughter yells, "Hell, my momma bought me this shirt! haha!" and he yells "So watcha doin tonight?" and she yells "Sorry, I've gotta boyfriend! haha!" and they both walk away.... and they both do something else.... and they go on with their life.)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Southern wrote:Well, I play lots of videogames and I have an actual day job. So she could, in theory, have a honest-to-god job.

Of course... because of my day job, I have an awfully long backlog of games that I bought and have yet to play. I bought Gran Turismo 5 and I barely run a couple of races in a VW Wagon. I bought Tales of Xillia, which has two main characters with two different endings (so, twice the already long 100+ hours of gameplay) and I have yet to start playing it. Hell, I bought Disgaea 4 (a notorious time-sink) and I didn't remove the plastic wrap from it.

Maybe I should quit my job and start boozing up and begging for money to solve that. Is there any ladies in the Pit that would wish to Patron me? Maybe an unfunny cartoonist one? A middle-aged college teacher? I can colour my hair if it does for you.
I still haven't touched Portal 2.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

John D wrote:

I think someone talked about my boobs at work so I have PTSD. Is this the story? Am I missing something?

(So my daughter, who is well endowed, is walking through her college dorm when a guy yells, "Hey girl... does your momma know you're wearin a shirt like that?" and my daughter yells, "Hell, my momma bought me this shirt! haha!" and he yells "So watcha doin tonight?" and she yells "Sorry, I've gotta boyfriend! haha!" and they both walk away.... and they both do something else.... and they go on with their life.)
Quite, but it is more about who it is. I expect the usual suspects are frothing.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

James Caruthers wrote:

Am I going insane due to the crazy rhetoric in this post, or is this entire diatribe, complete with "PTSD" claims, due to a drunk guy trying to grab her tits? I mean, that's it, right?

Flip the genders and let's see if "it gave me PTSD" is still a reasonable reaction.

"A drunk woman tried to grab my dick."
And then last week, the fading scars of what happened were cut open with a rusty blade.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This is the same one that Phil Plait and others rushed to defend when people confronted her about her belief in sky fairies when she claims to be a skeptic. The respect just keeps draining away. Another one jumping on the PTSD bandwagon. :violin:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

Am I going insane due to the crazy rhetoric in this post, or is this entire diatribe, complete with "PTSD" claims, due to a drunk guy trying to grab her tits? I mean, that's it, right?

Flip the genders and let's see if "it gave me PTSD" is still a reasonable reaction.

And then last week, the fading scars of what happened were cut open with a rusty blade.
This is the same one that Phil Plait and others rushed to defend when people confronted her about her belief in sky fairies when she claims to be a skeptic. The respect just keeps draining away. Another one jumping on the PTSD bandwagon. :violin:
It sounds like she is talking about at least two seperate events.
Her TAM talk seems to be about workplace harassment she faced (and therefore nothing to do with any Shermer incident) and she mentions in the current article that she was asked by her workplace to be more specific about the details. She submitted these details - presumably about incidents that happened in academia - and worried that the investigation might harm her career. She was then told that she couldn't make a formal complaint since there was a statute of limitations of 300 days and she was too late.

The other event is the Shermer(?) case. She seems to have only recently started thinking of this as being more serious than she had previously thought.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

Brive1987 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpo ... th-science

Regarding her latest column, it looks like she's giving up any pretence of writing anything about real science, even that of the fringe variety, and decided to hit the low hanging fruit of ghost hunters, using her favorite weapon - snark.

Unfortunately she is neither a good nor a funny writer and the piece ultimately comes across as lazy and disrespectful of the reader.
A couple of wikipedia searches is hardly what I would call real background research - especially when writing for a science publication.
Hi, any chance of a freezepage for the discriminated against Australian? .... Please.
http://www.freezepage.com/1383768187GPRSMPKWLW

Remick

Post by Remick »

ERV wrote: The world just cant handle a genius of Rebeccas caliber.

[youtube]hXud6iXXSqw[/youtube]

Usually I am with you on the gems you find on twitter, but I don't get this one. So she plays video games, so what? We should encourage her to do that, and leave everything else alone.

Who gives a fuck what she does with her spare time(regardless of how much 'spare' time she has).

She is just a politician that keeps getting people to vote for her. Is the problem really her, or is it that she is still invited to speak?

Once she hasn't spoken at an event for 2 years, no one is going to be paying her to write for them either.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The anti Harris diatribe, even here, is astounding.

The guys argument does not boil down to "search the brown boys". That is exactly the stupid simplification I criticised RW of.

He specifically says that "ethnicity, gender, age, nationality, dress, travelling companions, behaviour in terminal and other outward appearances" should be used to separate the stream into high, medium and low probability candidates. Ok, have we all got that locked in? Can we pause on that and ponder? Are we controversial yet?

He also says that if you are looking for Moslem terrorists and you have someone that to all appearances (from I guess "God is Great" tee shirts to burqus) - ie if god forbid there are pretty clear markers, then they fit the high profile, not for terrorism but for closer review.

Because no-one here on the street has seen someone and thought "yep they are a Moslem" have they? Of course not.

The efficacy of the overall exercise is a separate point to this obvious requirement to filter on the available, subjective, occasionally cultural, information available. Because without profiling all we have left is stealing pots of honey from ageing Oxford dons.

Assume we will have border security, assume islamic terrorism remains a threat and assume we can't search everybody. Against this I'd be happy to hear where the logic of Harris breaks down. (Remembering that locked in point from above). So far all I've seen are reactions against the dog whistle of racism.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Some Lurker wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Regarding her latest column, it looks like she's giving up any pretence of writing anything about real science, even that of the fringe variety, and decided to hit the low hanging fruit of ghost hunters, using her favorite weapon - snark.

Unfortunately she is neither a good nor a funny writer and the piece ultimately comes across as lazy and disrespectful of the reader.
A couple of wikipedia searches is hardly what I would call real background research - especially when writing for a science publication.
Hi, any chance of a freezepage for the discriminated against Australian? .... Please.
Thank you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

On a calmer note, I guess a problem here is that of all the markers Harris mentions people zoom in on the racial, he defends and pretty soon the debate is all about race.

No-one wants to see a line of people be spectrum machined into the left and right lines. But I don't think this is actually Harris suggestion. Nonetheless outward appearance is an imperfect marker for ethnicity, which is an imperfect marker for religion. And therefore part of the whole unhappy mix.

I guess once Oxford dons start blowing up planes the logical target profile will happily broaden.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Badger3k wrote:
Southern wrote:Well, I play lots of videogames and I have an actual day job. So she could, in theory, have a honest-to-god job.

Of course... because of my day job, I have an awfully long backlog of games that I bought and have yet to play. I bought Gran Turismo 5 and I barely run a couple of races in a VW Wagon. I bought Tales of Xillia, which has two main characters with two different endings (so, twice the already long 100+ hours of gameplay) and I have yet to start playing it. Hell, I bought Disgaea 4 (a notorious time-sink) and I didn't remove the plastic wrap from it.

Maybe I should quit my job and start boozing up and begging for money to solve that. Is there any ladies in the Pit that would wish to Patron me? Maybe an unfunny cartoonist one? A middle-aged college teacher? I can colour my hair if it does for you.
I'm still looking for the crimson nirnroots in Blackreach.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So Watson writes a piece for Popsci saying that a ghost detector didn't work. Damn fine work there, Becky - you really broke a paradigm with that one. Course, I guess it was supposed to be a humourous, light-hearted piece, but given that the Glob's contrived attempts at world-weariness only ever come across as the sullen snorts of a terminally stroppy mare-donkey...well, let's just say the desired effect was lacking somewhat.

I'm wondering what Popsci will humour her with when it comes to her next filler piece - Uncle Rico's Time Machine, maybe?

[youtube]L3LHAlcrTRA[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

OK, after doing a little cross-checking I think the most likely place that Pamela Gay's 2008 incident happened was DragonCon of that year.
I'm pretty sure that this is a picture from the party in question.
No sign of Shermer but here's Pamela Gay with Satan himself DJ Grothe.

I'm not sure if this was before the stumble/grope or after (she doesn't exactly appear traumatized in this shot)

http://i.imgur.com/JfhWorS.jpg

I would say that both DJ Grothe AND Pamela Gay look a bit drunk in this picture.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:OK, after doing a little cross-checking I think the most likely place that Pamela Gay's 2008 incident happened was DragonCon of that year.

I'm not sure if this was before the stumble/grope or after (she doesn't exactly appear traumatized in this shot)

I would say that both DJ Grothe AND Pamela Gay look a bit drunk in this picture.
I don't know, based on DJs hands off stance I'd guess he was feeling a bit .... Uncomfortable there ...

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Brive1987 wrote:

I look at it more as PopSci Au looking after our brains.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Bjarte Foshaug may be a terrible cartoonist, but then again, he's just a guy doing doodles on the Internet.

Far more puzzling to me is the comic strip Reply All, which is syndicated and actually appears in newspapers across the country. The artist, Donna A. Lewis, has zero artistic talent or sense of humor, and yet somehow has managed to get paid for her work. Can anybody explain this to me? Author bio information says she's an attorney working for Homeland Security who taught herself to draw in law school. Should I feel safer?

www.gocomics.com/replyall

windy

Post by windy »

James Caruthers wrote:

It seems to be more because in her 2012 TAM talk she accused her astronomer colleagues of constantly groping and harassing her, and that appears to have pissed some people off.
I did not give this talk lightly. I suspected I’d experience backlash for daring to admit that I too am one of those women who has been touched, who has been held back, who has suffered self-doubt related to my gender. What shocked me was the form and degree of backlash. As a result of this talk I faced threat of professional reprimand. Let me state this more clearly, because I admitted that gender related comments hurt my self esteem, there were authority figures who demanded I be punished.
That last sentence doesn't pass the smell test. Suddenly the complaint isn't over tits and ass grabbing, but "gender related comments"?

The Shermer discussion only ripped these wounds open with a rusty knife, or something.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Remick wrote:

Usually I am with you on the gems you find on twitter, but I don't get this one. So she plays video games, so what? We should encourage her to do that, and leave everything else alone.

Who gives a fuck what she does with her spare time(regardless of how much 'spare' time she has).
Its not that she plays video games. Its that she fancies herself oh-so-intelligent, yet she cannot contribute to society in any meaningful fashion whatsoever.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ERV wrote:
Remick wrote:

Its not that she plays video games. Its that she fancies herself oh-so-intelligent, yet she cannot contribute to society in any meaningful fashion whatsoever.
On last weeks SGU gender rant I could swear at one point she almost stalled with self awareness of how dumb, earnest and boring she was coming across with her prepared speech. There really was "a moment".

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dick Strawkins wrote:OK, after doing a little cross-checking I think the most likely place that Pamela Gay's 2008 incident happened was DragonCon of that year.

She seemed a bit miffed that she wasn't invited to TAM 2013 and got into a snippy exchange with Drescher over it. It might have added to her feelings of professional persecution for her 2012 talk.

http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=270

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil Plait and Michael Shermer from the 2008 DragonCon party.

http://i.imgur.com/odRIAfw.jpg

Lots more pictures on Phil Plaits flickr page of the party.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badastrono ... 990/page2/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

It seems to be more because in her 2012 TAM talk she accused her astronomer colleagues of constantly groping and harassing her, and that appears to have pissed some people off.
I did not give this talk lightly. I suspected I’d experience backlash for daring to admit that I too am one of those women who has been touched, who has been held back, who has suffered self-doubt related to my gender. What shocked me was the form and degree of backlash. As a result of this talk I faced threat of professional reprimand. Let me state this more clearly, because I admitted that gender related comments hurt my self esteem, there were authority figures who demanded I be punished.
That last sentence doesn't pass the smell test. Suddenly the complaint isn't over tits and ass grabbing, but "gender related comments"?

The Shermer discussion only ripped these wounds open with a rusty knife, or something.
So her idea of a night in is to get her female friends around to play "Cards Against Humanity" ... and gets depressed?

"I am still broken". "I hate myself". Anyone want to risk a doxxing by making the obvious suggestions he needs professional help, not a blog post?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

John D

Post by John D »

bovarchist wrote:Bjarte Foshaug may be a terrible cartoonist, but then again, he's just a guy doing doodles on the Internet.

Far more puzzling to me is the comic strip Reply All, which is syndicated and actually appears in newspapers across the country. The artist, Donna A. Lewis, has zero artistic talent or sense of humor, and yet somehow has managed to get paid for her work. Can anybody explain this to me? Author bio information says she's an attorney working for Homeland Security who taught herself to draw in law school. Should I feel safer?

http://www.gocomics.com/replyall
Reminds me of that comic Cathy. God... that was shit. I read it every Sunday because, face it, before the interblogs we were bored as shit. I didn't laugh once at that thing. I guess someone must have thought it was funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Another picture from the party.

For someone who now seems traumatized that Shermer nearly groped her breasts at that party, the following picture doesn't exactly paint her as a shrinking violet on the night in question.
What exactly is going on with the guy below?

http://i.imgur.com/1TAcYtm.jpg

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

James Caruthers wrote:

No, you're not insane. I saw the tiny scroll bar on the right and thought there was plenty more to come but it turned out to be all comments.

As to the glass ceiling, I could easily imagine male colleagues being too polite/pussy and saying the reason for non promotion was because of gender.

I think it takes a certain amount of arrogance to look around your office/department at your male colleagues and assume that they're stuck in the same position for reasons different to your own.

Southern

Post by Southern »

DJ Grothe' smile is positively rapey. And he has a moustache. ARREST THIS MAN RIGHT NOW!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Another picture from the party.

For someone who now seems traumatized that Shermer nearly groped her breasts at that party, the following picture doesn't exactly paint her as a shrinking violet on the night in question.

I literally ought hat a 'shop!!

My guess "he was going for the low hanging fruit"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Another picture from the party.

The guy with the hat has a Hello Kitty cup. That, and the hat, make him so badass that she felt safe. She knew the guy trying to look at her tits didn't stand a chance if he tried to grope her; Hat Hello Kitty Guy would shove his cane on the othe guy's ass with just a swft move. And then he would make sweet, sexy love with her, because c'mon. That cup, and the hat, makes the panties drop, man.

Seriously, I envy that guy. I only wish I could look so badass with a Hello Kitty cup.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hmm, I blame iPad on mobile phone hotspot for my gibberish. 'pologies

Remick

Post by Remick »

ERV wrote:
Remick wrote:

I don't disagree, but you could just as easily reply to any tweet she makes in the same way, since none of them contribute.

Besides, I don't think she is trying to contribute to society in any way. She is just trying to stay on the free money train. Do you really think she is incapable? She is lazy, and she will continue to be as long as her fans let her. Hardly the first person to do this. There are probably plenty of skeptics that we all like who give the same talk over an over, because they can.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, why insult her for something she does on purpose?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Bingo!

http://i.imgur.com/20vC9Cs.jpg
That's petty clear.

Krauss (off camera) drops pants as a distraction to all.

Right hand restrains.

Left hand moves in for the kill.

dogen

Post by dogen »

bovarchist wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

I'm still looking for the crimson nirnroots in Blackreach.
Don't look, listen!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

I have some sympathies for what she went through and she (nobody in fact) deserves to be unwillingly touched or made her/his work place turned uncomfortable by people making inappropriate comments but geez, the article is really over the top:
I am struggling with hearing that an event I categorized as “A drunk ass tried to grab my boobs,” is now being discussed by witnesses as, “He tried to sexually assault her in a bar while intoxicated.” I had created a euphemism for myself, and having that euphemism striped away is making me realize that I have been hiding from myself the true degree to which I have been harmed.
So she had managed to get over an extremely mild incident with no problem until her "friends" tried to spin it in the most horrible way and now she cannot cope with it anymore. Score 1 for feminism. So let's see ... when I was a kid a car bumped hard into ours so maybe it helps if I keep repeating to myself "I had a potentially lethal car crash as a child" before going to sleep every night and see how it improves my life. Yay!
During my July 2012 talk at The Amazing Meeting ... I briefly addressed many of the issues that hold women like me back ... What shocked me was the form and degree of backlash.
I don't remember that talk but I don't doubt her when she says she received backlash. But reading the rest of the article, I really cannot bring myself to trust the adjectives she uses.
because I admitted that gender related comments hurt my self esteem, there were authority figures who demanded I be punished. While my direct supervisor and the dean we report to have always made me feel respected and have supported me, there were others within my profession who demanded I publicly apologize; that I be formally punished for what I said.
So the people who actually had the power to hurt her career were very supportive. Also, on "authority figures in Academia can hurt ma career!" I'm again skeptical of her evaluation of the situation: they cannot create obstacles in her getting tenure, because as far as I know she can request them *not* be in her committee. BTW, who are "others within my profession"? Since it's public we should know them right? Does anyone have anything on this?
And I did name names and I did use specifics … and my words were distributed widely enough that word of what was happening got back to me nearly a dozen timezones away. When I learned what was happening, I spontaneously (and thankfully silently) burst into tears.
That's possible but they sound more like rumors and rumors are unreliable.

[qulote]I felt I had to get a lawyer in order to make sure my career wouldn’t be ruined – someone to find ways to use the existing guidelines to protect me. I exhausted my (admittedly small) savings. I started working more and more in isolation. I was diagnosed with PTSD. I tried to hide in my work, and that alone may have kept me going.[/quote]

Okay let's see. Someone tried to grab her boobs. She made a complaint and named names. She heard "naming names" has put her in trouble. She thought her career was over even though she doesn't mention a single actual event. Were her papers unfairly rejected? Were her grants unfairly denied? Was she privately told she won't get tenure? I don't know maybe but she doesn't mention any of that.
And I hate myself for wishing this would all just go away, instead of wishing that there could be justice. But I guess I fear that justice has a price I don’t have the life blood to pay for.

Read that again. It’s fucked up. But it’s who I am, … and when I read the hashtag #RipplesOfDoubt a few weeks ago, I realized how often we women make that decision. I’m fucked up, but I’m not alone. Too many of us fill our heads with euphemisms and excuses. It’s so much easier to think, “It’s a drunk guy being a drunk ass.” It hurts so much more to say, “I had someone try and sexually assault me.”
There we go again with over-the-top reactions and this time she is targetting herself with destructive self-doubt and negative emotions. Really, well done. Score 2 for online feminism.
I am a survivor.
Sure, what the heck, let's ruin another word. So now survivor means having survived a drunk guy almost grabbing your boobs.

Remick

Post by Remick »

That's really weird, my female biology teacher somehow ended up with an honors bio class of 32 (18 girls, 14 boys), where only 1 boy was exempt from the final(had a solid A average), where as 11 of the girls were.

I also got a C. Blah blah blah, about possible reasons why. I just didn't try that hard. Somehow managed to get into a good school and have a career in STEM.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Phil Plait and Michael Shermer from the 2008 DragonCon party.

http://i.imgur.com/odRIAfw.jpg

Lots more pictures on Phil Plaits flickr page of the party.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badastrono ... 990/page2/
Evidence of the sexual nature of their participation, as shown in their gestures. Phil is doing the "male" part, and Shermer the "female" part, showing "yep, that's is what we do here". (I made this up of course)
German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Aneris wrote:That's Kaya Scodelario, as seen on "Skins", which I found fun at the time, since she looked simulatenously nice and orderly as well as mischievous somewhat in line with the origin of the nickname.
What is the origin of the nickname, if I'm allowed to asked? I always thought of you as a backward sirena. How ever that would work
There you go: viewtopic.php?p=115300#p115300

It seems to be an actual name in middle and south america, and when typed into google translator, it thinks it's danish, which is a tad closer to home.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Wait, wait - first para: Becky has a like real job with co- workers and everything. And she knows Excel?
I think co-worker here is code for "boyfriend" and Excel code for "napkin where I try and work out 52 x $166".

Admittedly she is coy shifting from "my" habits to watching "someone". Slippery little sucker.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

jet_lagg wrote:
I like the book, and I think good scholarship should be supported. If you really dislike Carrier so much you'd prefer not to give him any money at all, then download the thing off piratebay. Jesus...
Jan Steen wrote:As a (somewhat) math type I find Proving History confused and pompously written.
jet_lagg wrote:That's probably because you're a math type. And I mean that in a non snarky way, seriously.

In my experience, those from mathematical fields tend to not get what the humanities are doing in the same way those in the humanities tend to not get what those in mathematical fields are doing. Suffice to say, his work is peer reviewed by a mathematician who specializes in bayes, and I've yet to see an actual critique of it (from a mathematician or otherwise) that brings up any points which aren't already addressed in the book (particularly the footnotes, which often reference much more technical literature backing Carrier's position).
Jan Steen wrote:Here are some critiques (see also the comments) from someone who appears to know far more about probability theory than Carrier does:

http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/p ... troductio/
http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/t ... s-theorem/
I'm familiar with that. Carrier and a second mathematician actually discussed all of the objections in depth and worked out the confusions. I realize Carrier is not popular here (and I can't offer any defense against many of the accusations leveled against him), but he does treat criticism of his scholarship seriously and can be persuaded by good arguments and evidence.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/2616

The other mathematician I refer to is Ian (if you want to follow him on the comments).

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Brive1987 wrote:

I don't know, based on DJs hands off stance I'd guess he was feeling a bit .... Uncomfortable there ...
It's called Hover Hand

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hover-hand

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

In PGay's comments OBenson is "heartbroken" over the situation. Lets see I accuse co-workers of sexism branding all with doubt (gutsy) they push back (equal and opposite ... - inevitable), I collapse into a heap and my sisters educate me that I have been assaulted and patriarched.

Another day on the ranch.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

It's called Hover Hand

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hover-hand
And "they" say the 'pit isn't educational. Thanks!

welch

Post by welch »

TiBo wrote:
welch wrote:I agree that profiling is a useful tool, but Harris is just being lazy and a bit cowardly in his profile "muslims" shit...[...]...Um, look Sam, i know you have this really specific idea of what it takes to be dangerous, but I'm going to point out that a small child can carry explosives, ...[...]...it makes them more attractive to terrorists.
Reminds me of a saying Hitchens introduced, while talking about the possibility of reperations towards the descendants of slaves.

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien / The perfect is the enemy of the good."

I would argue that there is no need to instate a profiling system which promises to be 100% perfect.
For a start, it's sufficient to instate a system, which focuses on characteristics which we already KNOW were present in the terrorists who compromised airline security in the past. And that system should not be restricted to a single factor, and should also not exclude factors which are considered 'offensive'. The experiences from that system will be the foundation for later improvements and (if neccessary) for swift reactions, concerning changing behaviour of terrorists.

Apparently, the Israelis do their screening successfully. I'd suggest: Because they are forced to.
They don't have the typical western luxury of intellectually detracting themselves from what is important: Defending themselves.
It's one thing to look back a decade and fantasize about what perfect measurements one could exercise in the future, and it's another thing to be surrounded by sworn enemies who try to attack you on a daily basis. Only one of them forces you to put things into perspective and get your act together.

To me, argueing in favor of a perfect solution, instead of a good solution, is highly supicious. Not only because it reminds me so much of presuppositional apologetics a la ten Bruggencate (99% certainty = 0% because no perfect epistemology without god at its foundation), it also makes me wonder, if the proponent isn't secretly holding the view, that society should carefully weigh potential fatalities of a terrorist attack against abandoning the pretense of unconditional openness towards outsiders, in short: As long as we can pretend to not be prejudiced, it doesn't really matter that a few of our people will eventually die.

what, exactly, does that have to do with my statement? Which mind you, was not anti-profiling. it was pointing out the huge gaping flaws in harris's musing:

1) Muslims don't "look" like anything. It's not an innately identifiable characteristic. It is something that can apply equally to some dude from saudi with a beard, a robe screaming about Allah in his native language to some redheaded kid in london to a rich white lady in fucking Armani. You can't profile because they look "muslim" any more than you can profile because they look "irish" (another idiotic thing Harris said). What harris means, but hasn't the stones to baldly say is that he favors profiling based on people looking arabic. This is something that actually could be done, but is still stupid in that the only thing looking "arabic" means is that your short-term genetic background has some folks from a certain part of the world in it.

2) Harris has an extremely limited and dangerous view of how someone can be "dangerous". An 80 year old paraplegic woman in a wheelchair stuffed with explosives and her hand on the detonator button is pretty fucking dangerous, but harris seems to think checking them out is just stupid as fuck. Same thing with a small child who has a backpack full of Explosive Barbies. He also seems to think terrorists are fucking idiots. Yes, most of them are, because most people are fucking idiots. But to assume that terrorists won't notice that all of a sudden fogies and infants are getting a free ride? Gimme a fucking break. Just because someone isn't youngish, in good shape and male doesn't make them any less dangerous. I have a friend in his mid 40s who looks like the happiest little doughboy dude ever. He's also fucking terrifying, because the Marines taught him how to use a rifle to shear the top of your head the fuck off from a mile away. Sam's definition of "dangerous" is far more dangerous than people seem to think.

I absolutely agree that you will never have a perfect system, but what Harris is talking about is just stupid.

windy

Post by windy »

Trophy wrote:
During my July 2012 talk at The Amazing Meeting ... I briefly addressed many of the issues that hold women like me back ... What shocked me was the form and degree of backlash.
I don't remember that talk but I don't doubt her when she says she received backlash. But reading the rest of the article, I really cannot bring myself to trust the adjectives she uses.
because I admitted that gender related comments hurt my self esteem, there were authority figures who demanded I be punished. While my direct supervisor and the dean we report to have always made me feel respected and have supported me, there were others within my profession who demanded I publicly apologize; that I be formally punished for what I said.
So the people who actually had the power to hurt her career were very supportive. Also, on "authority figures in Academia can hurt ma career!" I'm again skeptical of her evaluation of the situation: they cannot create obstacles in her getting tenure, because as far as I know she can request them *not* be in her committee. BTW, who are "others within my profession"? Since it's public we should know them right? Does anyone have anything on this?
This is what she said at TAM about it:
This talk is one I struggled to write. To finish this talk I have to step out of my comfort zone and give an honest acknowledgement that trolling isn’t something that just happens in nebulous random places on the internet and it isn’t just people being verbal in their close-mindedness. Sometimes things are more physical and more scary. As an astronomer, at professional conferences, I’ve randomly had my tits and ass grabbed and slapped by men in positions of power and by creeps who drank too much. This is part of what it means to be a woman in science. With the creeps I generally hold my own and get them to back off like I would with any asshole in a bar. With the people in power… I commiserate with the other women as we share stories of what has been grabbed by whom. I know as I say this that it sounds unbelievable – and how can we report the unbelievable and expect to be believed?

This isn’t to say women shouldn’t go into astronomy. It is just to say that in the after hours events, you sometimes need to keep your butt to the wall and your arms crossed over your chest.

Some of you have to have power to stop discrimination and harassment. It pisses me off to know that as strong as I am, I know I’m not powerful enough to name names and be confident that I’ll still have a career.
https://www.starstryder.com/2012/07/15/ ... ld-better/

I'm not sure why someone would bother to make a professional complaint over these vague accusations, so it seems likely that we aren't getting the whole story.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Trophy wrote:
Pamela Gay wrote:I am a survivor.
Sure, what the heck, let's ruin another word. So now survivor means having survived a drunk guy almost grabbing your boobs.
No shit - anyone who says "I am a survivor" who isn't actually referring to a plane crash, a potentially lethal cancer, a concentration camp, or a comparable brush with death, is a fucking opportunistic douche.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Brive1987 wrote:The anti Harris diatribe, even here, is astounding.

The guys argument does not boil down to "search the brown boys". That is exactly the stupid simplification I criticised RW of.

He specifically says that "ethnicity, gender, age, nationality, dress, travelling companions, behaviour in terminal and other outward appearances" should be used to separate the stream into high, medium and low probability candidates. Ok, have we all got that locked in? Can we pause on that and ponder? Are we controversial yet?

He also says that if you are looking for Moslem terrorists and you have someone that to all appearances (from I guess "God is Great" tee shirts to burqus) - ie if god forbid there are pretty clear markers, then they fit the high profile, not for terrorism but for closer review.

Because no-one here on the street has seen someone and thought "yep they are a Moslem" have they? Of course not.

The efficacy of the overall exercise is a separate point to this obvious requirement to filter on the available, subjective, occasionally cultural, information available. Because without profiling all we have left is stealing pots of honey from ageing Oxford dons.

Assume we will have border security, assume islamic terrorism remains a threat and assume we can't search everybody. Against this I'd be happy to hear where the logic of Harris breaks down. (Remembering that locked in point from above). So far all I've seen are reactions against the dog whistle of racism.
Did you read the actual debate that was linked? If you haven't, then you should, since our arguments have effectively lined up with the ones presented there. If you have read it, please explain exactly what part of the rebuttal to Harris could be summarized as "we shouldn't profile because it's racist".

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Lots of photos of the party available but nothing showing anything like an attempted grope (apart from the bottom pic)

http://i.imgur.com/81am8nQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GLl4mEy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X578K64.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FrcvSnh.jpg

Post by Guest »

jet_lagg wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
I like the book, and I think good scholarship should be supported. If you really dislike Carrier so much you'd prefer not to give him any money at all, then download the thing off piratebay. Jesus...
Jan Steen wrote:As a (somewhat) math type I find Proving History confused and pompously written.
jet_lagg wrote:That's probably because you're a math type. And I mean that in a non snarky way, seriously.

In my experience, those from mathematical fields tend to not get what the humanities are doing in the same way those in the humanities tend to not get what those in mathematical fields are doing. Suffice to say, his work is peer reviewed by a mathematician who specializes in bayes, and I've yet to see an actual critique of it (from a mathematician or otherwise) that brings up any points which aren't already addressed in the book (particularly the footnotes, which often reference much more technical literature backing Carrier's position).
Jan Steen wrote:Here are some critiques (see also the comments) from someone who appears to know far more about probability theory than Carrier does:

http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/p ... troductio/
http://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/t ... s-theorem/
I'm familiar with that. Carrier and a second mathematician actually discussed all of the objections in depth and worked out the confusions. I realize Carrier is not popular here (and I can't offer any defense against many of the accusations leveled against him), but he does treat criticism of his scholarship seriously and can be persuaded by good arguments and evidence.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/2616

The other mathematician I refer to is Ian (if you want to follow him on the comments).
Carrier begins his defense by claiming that all the criticism that he has ever heard, EVER, about his theory, can be addressed by 'read the book' or 'read the book more carefully'.

He ends stating how he's not impressed with any of this criticism, after a typical long-winded tour de farce describing that he couldn't possibly be wrong, because reasons.

How do you see him treating criticism of his scholarship seriously there? He also doesn't adjust his positions; he begins and ends with saying all the criticism of him ever is wrong.

You're sure you're not the Dick Carrier?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:

You just don't understand. If you ignore a bunch of loud, obnoxious whiners who go around calling the biggest names in atheism misogynists and rapists, and crying for special conference rules and new laws to punish (mostly male) sexuality, if you just ignore them, they will totes go away!
I'm of the same mind and that's why I don't really get involved in the Benson bashing anymore. Don't get me wrong, it was fun when I was new to all this but now it's just so "meh" I can't really be arsed. Depends how bad a mood I'm in at least.
She's an irrelevant auld bint and I've found ignoring her pisses her off more than openly insulting her.
Having said that.....I heard a rumour today that the reason she hasn't found a man to settle down with is because every time she opens her legs for a bloke he dies of an Egyptian curse.
James Caruthers wrote:On an unrelated note, keep the Bjarte Flooshhog comics coming, Parsehole. My sense of humor is weird, so I find them hilarious.
Thanks very much to you and everybody else for the compliments but I'd say savour the two I've made as I doubt I'll be making any more. I know when a joke has worn thin. If he pops his boring head up again I may reconsider.

Incidentally, I posted that first "Wacky Adventures Of Bjarte Foshaug" comic months ago and nobody commented so I thought it had gone over everybody's head. Didn't stop me trying again though....

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:So Watson writes a piece for Popsci saying that a ghost detector didn't work. Damn fine work there, Becky - you really broke a paradigm with that one. Course, I guess it was supposed to be a humourous, light-hearted piece, but given that the Glob's contrived attempts at world-weariness only ever come across as the sullen snorts of a terminally stroppy mare-donkey...well, let's just say the desired effect was lacking somewhat.

I'm wondering what Popsci will humour her with when it comes to her next filler piece - Uncle Rico's Time Machine, maybe?

[youtube]L3LHAlcrTRA[/youtube]
Fucking hell Tigz. You do make me LOL.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Incidentally, I posted that first "Wacky Adventures Of Bjarte Foshaug" comic months ago and nobody commented so I thought it had gone over everybody's head. Didn't stop me trying again though....
It's time had finally come.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I'm pretty sure I must be the only person on the internet without PTSD.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I do wonder if, over and above a legitimate grievance and annoyance at horndog con attendees that someone's memory can be improved by those with an agenda.

welch

Post by welch »

Trophy wrote:
welch wrote:
justinvacula wrote:More siliness from feminists...within the article, there is an assumption that portraying scantilly-clad women in media is "sexism" and "reinforces gender stereotypes." News to feminists: men are portrayed throughout media buff and shirtless just about as much or even more than women are portrayed as scantily clad. Sex sells. Advertisers know their markets...and the men/women are happy 'showing off' and celebrating their bodies. Just one more reason I can't take modern feminism seriously...http://timesleader.com/news/apfeatures/ ... smartphone

http://timesleader.com/news/apfeatures/ ... t-movie-ra

(AP) You expect movie ratings to tell you whether a film contains nudity, sex, profanity or violence. Now movie theaters in equality-minded Sweden are introducing a new rating to highlight gender bias, or rather the absence of it.To get an "A'' rating, a movie must pass the so-called Bechdel test, w...

timesleader.com

LikeCommentShare

You know what passes the bechtel test more than any other genre?

Lesbian Porn.

Also, a movie version of a volleyball combat video game. Starring Eric Roberts.

The bechtel test is an interesting guideline, but like all such things, it's been given a status it really doesn't deserve.
:lol: That's so ridiculous. Any movie on Robinson Crusoe is so going to fail these on so many levels.
To get an "A'' rating, a movie must pass the so-called Bechdel test, which means it must have at least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man

*snip*

The Bechdel test got its name from American cartoonist Alison Bechdel, who introduced the concept in her comic strip "Dykes to Watch Out For" in 1985. It has been discussed among feminists and film critics since then, but Tejle hopes the "A'' rating system will help spread awareness among moviegoers about how women are portrayed in films.
Way to miss the whole point of "Bechel test" for these law makers. The point isn't that any movie that passes the test is not sexist. The point of the "test" (which was supposed to be funny in a bitter way) is raising consciousness regarding gender biases and imbalances. If you are a producer and you are fucking aware of that, then good. You don't have to insert two magical women in every movie that you produce or every book that you write to get a meaningless "A" rating.
If you're going to get whiny about missing a point, you should take care not to do so yourself.

I do think the Bechdel test is an interesting thing to apply to movies as a whole, because it can show you how odd it is when you look at large numbers of movies and realize how many of them have the same sort of tropes.

However, in and of itself, as a grading of the quality of a movie for rating purposes, it's kind of fucking stupid. For example, take "Gravity". Given most of the scenes are either Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, or Sandra Bullock solo, it is rather difficult for that movie to pass the test. So it cannot get an "A" rating. Does that mean there's some hidden sexism in the movie? Nope. Just means the way the story is told, it's kind of impossible to pass the "test".

What about a movie like "The Life of Pi"? That has almost no human interaction, so even if we make the main character a woman, it can't pass the test. Congratulations, you can't get an A rating in sweden, even though the main character is a woman. Boo-fucking-ya.

So what happens if that rating turns out to be of fiscal importance? Well, the answer's obvious. You start inserting meaningless scenes of two women addressing each other by name and talking about how their fucking lawnmower doesn't work, or the car they just bought.

Congratulations, checkbox filled, and it only took five minutes of useless footage. Fuck, it doesn't even have to be from the same movie. Just shoot that scene and stick it in there. Doesn't matter if those two women showed up prior or again. Checkbox filled, rating attained. I mean, it totally fucks up the intent of the test, which I generally think is a good one, but once you start getting into regulations and law, intent doesn't matter, just the letter.

The Swedish thing is what happens when you stop using what can be a useful guideline to maybe think about how your write your characters and turn it into a stupid fucking requirement to get the right pat on the head from dad.

Again, keep in mind that a video that is nothing but two women addressing each other by name and talking about how good each other's hand feels in their asses "passes" the "test".

I eagerly await your next salvo in "Points: How the fuck do they work?"

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Reminds me of when the job centre didn't allow me to pursue a career of being an international MI5 super-spy for fear of me being "too damn good at it"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jet_lagg wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The anti Harris diatribe, even here, is astounding.

Did you read the actual debate that was linked? If you haven't, then you should, since our arguments have effectively lined up with the ones presented there. If you have read it, please explain exactly what part of the rebuttal to Harris could be summarized as "we shouldn't profile because it's racist".
I come back after work or at lunch rather than make a fool of myself (again) now.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Remick wrote:

She is just a politician that keeps getting people to vote for her. Is the problem really her, or is it that she is still invited to speak?

Once she hasn't spoken at an event for 2 years, no one is going to be paying her to write for them either.

It's not about the video games. It's about the Chutzpah of sending out the "Girl in Distress, Support Me" signal and e-begging for money, yet in a week telling everyone that you just beat the second hardest level in a game that takes a huge number of HOURS to play each session.

And despite all the claims of people who say they 'routinely beat' the Immortal level, the truth is that just one in five hundred Civ V game owners ever manage to beat the game on Immortal. Most give up (out of boredom) LONG before they get there because it takes a long time and a lot of maps before you 'get it down' and are good enough to take on the incredible cheating AI. (Unless you abuse something like ROP (patched out)).

So, it takes a HUGE amount of practice, plus a lot of luck, to beat that level.

And that's what the blue-haired She-Devil was doing (while running out of money) before she started her e-begging campaign. Which I find revolting as it's the exact opposite of how I live my life.

For example, when I was starting my CPA firm I could have e-begged people (or my relatives) for 'sponsorships' while using the 'sponsorhip' to sell dubious genetic testing kits then, later, bragged about my Civilization I score or some shit. But I didn't.

Instead of begging and whining I worked as a housekeeper (like Molly Maids). That's right, I fucking scrubbed toilets, cleaned dog-shit out of carpets, washed dishes, did windows and otherwise made sure rich slobs could come home, at least one day a week, to a clean house. And I did this as a licensed CPA with an MS in Accountancy from an elite accounting program.

That's why I criticize.

It's not games. I love games. I play all kinds of games. But I don't run around leeching off people because I'm too god-damn lazy or 'proud' to do shit work for a living to make ends meet. If scrubbing toilets is what I have to do, then scrubbing toilets is what I do. And I have done so. For an entire year I scrubbed toilets to make ends meet while I grew my firm.

And I've got friends, who are also professionals, who did the equivalent. Worked night jobs. Worked as a UPS truck loader. Worked as a delivery driver. Worked in fast food. Worked as waiters/waitresses. Whatever it took so they could grow their law firm or CPA firm or Architecture firm...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bhoytony wrote:I'm pretty sure I must be the only person on the internet without PTSD.
I have PTSD but it wasn't anything to do with internet debate.
I found an old Polaroid in a hedge of Ophelia Benson eating a banana.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

There is something very, very wrong with Pamela Gay. In that screed she wrote, she included this exchange between her and the 'man with power' (which I assume is Shermer),
“There is absolutely no way for a woman to walk up to any man, let alone a prominent man they don’t really know, and say, ‘Pardon me, while you seemed to be drunk, you did this inappropriate thing.’
What?

There is absolutely NO WAY? No way whatsoever? Really??

Errr...

wow. This woman is trying to pass herself off as a survivor? As someone who is *strong*? That... is an insult to all women everywhere.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Just for the record, Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest films ever made but only after watching it at least twice.