Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Badger3k »

QuiteSo wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
feralandproud wrote: Can anyone tell me what this fucking mouth-breather is going on about?
It's concerning Pat Condell and http://t.co/KESjCY9IZV.
Ahhh, but this is written by Avicenni, a suspected rapist who ool0n supports :lol:
Huh? I knew about the self-abuse, but not that. Was that something on twitter?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Badger 3K wrote;
IIRC Avicenni falsely accused himself of rape, and then when someone repeated that he had falsely accused himself of rape he blamed "slymepitters" of accusing him of rape, or something like that.

free thoughtpolice

Oh, and it turns out Avicenna is an Indian, the same people that chased the Romas out of India 600 years ago, therefore Avi is an ethnic cleansing monster that is responsible for the start of the long era of prejudice the Roma peoples have experienced.
And he hates white people too. :dance:

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Badger 3K wrote;
IIRC Avicenni falsely accused himself of rape, and then when someone repeated that he had falsely accused himself of rape he blamed "slymepitters" of accusing him of rape, or something like that.
fun times

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=351&p=124677&hilit ... na#p124677

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pitchguest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
feralandproud wrote: Can anyone tell me what this fucking mouth-breather is going on about?
It's concerning Pat Condell and http://t.co/KESjCY9IZV.
Pat Condell is such a mixed bag. At certain points he says things that are absolutely sound, things that you find you absolutely agree with.

And at certain points he links to conspiracy sites like Frontpage Magazine. Like, what the fuck?

Says he's a secular humanist, but votes for the UK Independence Party (UKIP) who opposes same-sex marriage and thinks marriage should belong with the church. What?

He says he's not opposed to immigration, but supports the EDL. I seriously can't figure it out.
About the marriage thing, I can see where he's coming from. He may think that the whole shebang about getting married is silly; people should be able to get in relatinoships without having to tell the State about it, so the churches could keep their market within the "tradition marriage" crowd. It's my own opinion about marriage: I don't really think people should be fighting for equality of marriage, they should be fighting for making marriage irrelevant for everybody.

Of course, as long as marriage = a series of fiscal and social benefits, this idea is completely bullshit, and I'm the first to admit that (so I'm all in for marriage equality).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nice to see 3 of the first 6 comments on PZs Darwin post question are "who gives a fuck".

At some point PZ will wake up to the fact that the bridge over the Rubicon only permits one way traffic.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Donglegate was only a matter of time, seriously.
Every feminist seems dumbstruck by the backlash against them, but barely any of them have the guts to say to someone like her "you're nuts." Every establishment has some nonsensical rule that everyone thinks is stupid but they have to follow it because of someone like her coming along.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Donglegate made me realize just how crazy PZ and his minions really are.

Elevatorgate had left me scratching my head, mind you, but Donglegate and the Horde's treatment of EBW? As Eugene Struthers so eloquently put it: "Whole. Notha. Level."

But I didn't come here until Shmeargate.

free thoughtpolice

I wonder if this comment will make it through moderation on Ophie's latest post;
Raging Bee

November 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm (UTC -8)

We are seeing the cult-like elevation of one inalienable ‘truth’ above all others.

Well, yeah, there IS one, count it, one, objective truth, and it SHOULD be elevated above things that aren’t true. What sane and honest adult would have a probelm with this?
</blockquote>

So you agree with Gittos that SJW's like you are incapable of questioning the "objective truth" of their asserted dogma?
Yes Raging BS; no sane person would question the objective truth that we live in a rape culture! :drool:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive1987 wrote:Nice to see 3 of the first 6 comments on PZs Darwin post question are "who gives a fuck".

At some point PZ will wake up to the fact that the bridge over the Rubicon only permits one way traffic.

Myers says:
#1, Anthony K:

Yeah, because “magical science mojo” totally clues everyone in that I’m dead serious in my concern.
yeah, maybe he's starting to get a clue...

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

I like poking fun at pompous bullshit as much as the next person, or in fact more than most people, but I try not to exaggerate the implications of one pompous-bullshit article unless there’s good reason to think that more than six people read it.
Straight from the Ophie's mouth. Seriously, I think maybe she needs an intervention.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

And but there can't be witches if there aren't fires and witches, right? Right.

And magic toilets.

Or summat.

And anyway, how sexist to assume that witches are females. During the, um, real hunt of, erm, real witches in Salem et al, they targetted men too and they didn't call it warlock hunting.

I mean really. :naughty:

Witchists.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

The SlymePit passed the “50% greater than” AtheismPlus mark today:
Slymepit Statistics:
Total posts 144008 • Total topics 343 • Total members 829 • Our newest member

AtheismPlus Statistics:
Total posts 95999 • Total topics 5065 • Total members 2833 •

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Nice to see 3 of the first 6 comments on PZs Darwin post question are "who gives a fuck".

Myers says:
#1, Anthony K:

Yeah, because “magical science mojo” totally clues everyone in that I’m dead serious in my concern.
yeah, maybe he's starting to get a clue...
AnthonyK makes a sound point. Well at least an internally consistant one. If you rail against white male old figureheads why would you then post about a haj to Darwin's house complete with vivacious replications of the old man's daily walk routines?

Of course PZ ducks the elephant by referring only to his embeded escape clause.

Nb AnthonyK came right out and said PZ was only paying lip service to his stated ideals. First step to 'pitdom.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Kareem wrote:
Donglegate was only a matter of time, seriously.
Every feminist seems dumbstruck by the backlash against them, but barely any of them have the guts to say to someone like her "you're nuts." Every establishment has some nonsensical rule that everyone thinks is stupid but they have to follow it because of someone like her coming along.
I'll have to disagree, woman-dominated "establishments" in general get away with most things that make feminist "victimhood-seekers" like Richards froth at the mouth, if those things had been done by a man. There's a pretty obvious double standard in our society for what's considered "PC", where men and women are playing by very different rule-books.

Richards for example, would've had a seriously hard time getting anyone fired, if she'd been at a conference for some women-dominated business and overheard two women joking privately about sex. Not that she'd ever try getting two women fired for cracking sex-jokes though, since feminists and SJWs like Richards usually enshrine those double-standards, and call it "empowering women".

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

free thoughtpolice

Another gem from Ophie's "The hysteria around the discussion of rape"!

A. Noyd

November 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm (UTC -8)

“Any attempt by journals like Feminists at Law to limit our access to alternative or critical views…”

Yet another fucking shitbag who thinks that victim-blamey, misogynistic approaches to rape discussions are alternative, critical and rare when they’re completely mainstream, thoroughly uncritical and so widespread that in most places it’s almost impossible to get access to any other view.

“…should be recognised as more than an attack on those making arguments they disagree with: it is an attack on our right to know.”
Yet another example of FTBer's commitment to freethought, skeptical inquiry, and the willingness to question fashionable nonsense, oh and freeze peach (tee hee) or free dumb of speech (tee hee hee).

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It's pretty amazing that back in 2005/2006 he won the best SCIENCE Blog award back-to-back. Now he's driven out the science-oriented, the skeptical oriented and they shit on something as innocuous as that sense of 'wonderment' and 'curiosity.'

What a bunch of tools.

Oh, and speaking of tools, Damion is still being a tool at his blog. Hate the Pit. Hate FTB. Hate everyone who does as he does while not recognizing what he does (rude and jerkoffish comments) while pretending to 'be above the fray' and declaring a pox on all our houses...

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Badger 3K wrote;
Ok. I had firgotten about that.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What if Brony declares himself a trans Appaloosa?
A horse of a different colour? ....
From Steersman to Ophelia Benson in one comment.
:confusion-questionmarks: What the heck is that supposed to mean?

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Tribble wrote:Damion is still being a tool at his blog. Hate the Pit. Hate FTB. Hate everyone who does as he does while not recognizing what he does (rude and jerkoffish comments) while pretending to 'be above the fray' and declaring a pox on all our houses...
Doesn't he know what happened to the first guy who said that?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Mykeru wrote:I had a gingerbread cookie. Usually I bite their heads off first. This time I started at the toes.
outrageouscookie.jpg
Looks like you came on the neck stump.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I don't hate the Pit or FtB. Someone is projecting.

Joseph Porter, KCB

Post by Joseph Porter, KCB »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Meanwhile, over at Pharyngula; the jokes about the passing of psychic Sylvia Browne are OK until someone makes a potential gender slur:
tsig

21 November 2013 at 7:41 am (UTC -6)

Ding, dong the witch is dead.

(someone had too)
CaitieCat

21 November 2013 at 7:54 am (UTC -6)

@42: someone had to

Yeah, what kind of thread would it be without a little casual misogyny? Thanks ever so much.
The thread has now morphed into a debate as to whether witch is a PC insult, like say asshole.

But, oh, Peezus Christ they're dense.

Sylvia Browne was a psychic (not a psy-chick!), a diviner. While "witch" isn't a synonym, it's pretty close, there's overlap. And arguably she was an evil woman who preyed upon the misfortunes of others. So stretching the definition of witch in order to use a quote from "The Wizard of Oz" is just purely word-play, not "gendered insult" at all.

But not to the Commentariat, because they get invisible internet points for being the first to sniff out otherwise inscrutable and non-existent sin. They are, indeed, like medieval witch-hunters (or like Joe McCarthy and HUAC, or Pavlik Morozov), taking so much satisfaction in denouncing others for apostasy, because by denouncing others they demonstrate their own holiness (and protect themselves from being charged as suspiciously weak on unbelievers, and thus possible heretics themselves).

It all reminds me of Stalinism and witch hunts and cultish religion, and it's the antithesis of skepticism and Rationalism, which is about not getting caught up in dogma and hysteria and tribalism and witch-hunting.

It's just so claustrophobic and creepy and cultish, I just imagine them sitting around in a virtual circle, eyes shifting left and right to spot the sinner, because they all know that someone has to be publicly scourged, pilloried, and "re-educated" every day, and each one thinking, "the sooner we find today's victim, the less chance it'll be me."

And they enact this ugly old tribalistic religious ritual in the name of atheism! Peezus Christ!

welch

Post by welch »

d4m10n wrote:I don't hate the Pit or FtB. Someone is projecting.
The important thing is you feel superior to both.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Jonathan wrote:Somebody fetch the popcorn.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-719970
This reminds me of the on-going debate as to which is more common - the clockwise or anti-clockwise haggis. Cryptozoologists have been unable to resolve this question due to budget cutbacks at the Discovery Channel.

It's well known that wild haggis in their natural environment of the steep slopes of the Scottish highlands have evolved in two distinct enantiomorphic populations - those where the left legs are longer than the right, and those where the right legs are longer than the left.

"Long-left" haggis negotiate the mountains in an anti-clockwise direction whilst the "long-right" haggis ascend and descend clockwise.

The more interesting question however, is what happens when a haggis (of either chirality) encounters one of those topographic optical illusions where things appear to roll up a hill.

P.S. Not drunk.

welch

Post by welch »

So for those of you who pay attention to the news, yet another FSU football player is involved in a sexual assault/rape case.

I don't know enough about the specifics to comment, but am I surprised? no. But if you want a good idea of the root of the problem, here:

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt ... 1467707410

The thing is, this isn't bumfuck Ohio, where the only good thing is the football team. FSU is, academically and in terms of research, a good university. Maybe not great, but damned good. FAMU is a solid second-tier Uni, and even TCC is a great two-year school.

There's a state government here, there's a lot of things going on.

But it's all about the fucking 'Noles. The only thing that matters to so many people here is that football team and the goddamned coach. Bobby Bowden could take a shit on your car, and it'd be your fault if you complained.

This isn't about rape. Rape is, sadly, an inevitable side effect. This is about telling a small group of people, a small group of very young, and in some cases, terribly naive men that they are above everything. The rules don't apply to them. *none* of the rules. Rape nothing, we're talking about any of them. They hear that from people they trust probably more than anyone else on the planet, and what do you expect?

The sad part is, they're all cattle. Literally:
One of Derek's better-adjusted athletes said it wasn't the practices or the physical abuse that bothered him, but how the coaches force-fed him and his teammates. "They watch me clean the plate," the player told Derek. "'You let that settle and then go lift.'" That's in addition to the supervised supplement-swallowing, the pills and powders of who the hell knows what. "He looks down at me, this monster man, this beast, and now he's got kid eyes," Derek tells me, "and he says to me: 'Mister Derek, sometimes I'm not hungry anymore.'"
Eat your feed, then go perform for your handlers. As long as you perform, you're god.

Get hurt, flunk out, fail in any one of the dozens of ways you can fail? You're gone. Forgotten. You don't exist anymore.

People ask me, as they will when your son is 6'5", and skinny, if he ever wanted to play sports, and I tell them the truth, "not as a thing. He likes them as fun things with friends. Not as a end unto itself.

But having seen the "up" and downsides of how these kids get treated and twisted, i'm constantly glad he never had the desire.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Meanwhile, over at Pharyngula; the jokes about the passing of psychic Sylvia Browne are OK until someone makes a potential gender slur:
tsig

21 November 2013 at 7:41 am (UTC -6)

Ding, dong the witch is dead.

(someone had too)
CaitieCat

21 November 2013 at 7:54 am (UTC -6)

@42: someone had to

Yeah, what kind of thread would it be without a little casual misogyny? Thanks ever so much.
The thread has now morphed into a debate as to whether witch is a PC insult, like say asshole.

But, oh, Peezus Christ they're dense.

Sylvia Browne was a psychic (not a psy-chick!), a diviner. While "witch" isn't a synonym, it's pretty close, there's overlap. And arguably she was an evil woman who preyed upon the misfortunes of others. So stretching the definition of witch in order to use a quote from "The Wizard of Oz" is just purely word-play, not "gendered insult" at all.

But not to the Commentariat, because they get invisible internet points for being the first to sniff out otherwise inscrutable and non-existent sin. They are, indeed, like medieval witch-hunters (or like Joe McCarthy and HUAC, or Pavlik Morozov), taking so much satisfaction in denouncing others for apostasy, because by denouncing others they demonstrate their own holiness (and protect themselves from being charged as suspiciously weak on unbelievers, and thus possible heretics themselves).

It all reminds me of Stalinism and witch hunts and cultish religion, and it's the antithesis of skepticism and Rationalism, which is about not getting caught up in dogma and hysteria and tribalism and witch-hunting.

It's just so claustrophobic and creepy and cultish, I just imagine them sitting around in a virtual circle, eyes shifting left and right to spot the sinner, because they all know that someone has to be publicly scourged, pilloried, and "re-educated" every day, and each one thinking, "the sooner we find today's victim, the less chance it'll be me."

And they enact this ugly old tribalistic religious ritual in the name of atheism! Peezus Christ!
That all rings frighteningly true.

dogen

Post by dogen »

welch wrote:So for those of you who pay attention to the news, yet another FSU football player is involved in a sexual assault/rape case.

I don't know enough about the specifics to comment, but am I surprised? no. But if you want a good idea of the root of the problem, here:

The thing is, this isn't bumfuck Ohio, where the only good thing is the football team. FSU is, academically and in terms of research, a good university. Maybe not great, but damned good. FAMU is a solid second-tier Uni, and even TCC is a great two-year school.
At least in my field, OSU > FSU. Bumfuckery indeed.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:But, oh, Peezus Christ they're dense.

I used to wonder how anyone could live in a world where everything had to be viewed through that Social Justice lens and pretty much EVERYTHING is found wanting.

What do you do for fun in such a world? What can you read? What can you watch?

But except for a few bitter extremists I'm sure many of them enjoy their secret sinful cavorting with verboten entertainment on the side. They just have to keep up appearances in front of the church.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

I've been gone for a while since I was investigating the roots of victim feminism as being a parasitical ideology that corrupted Universal Suffrage, The Womens Rights movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the humanities, literary criticism, politics and any group it attaches itself to.

This took me quite a while, I had do go back further than I imagined, back past the joyless Temperance movement, back past the racist and classist women looking to gain extra favour for themselves while their sons and brothers were turned to mincemeat in French Fields. I had to go back past the late Victorian Puritans, even back before Mary Shelley wrote her wonderful treatise on women, "The Modern Prometheus."

Eventually I found the ur-text, It took me ages. It is a manifesto by the poet, Robert Southey, a romantic poet who was contemporary with the Shelleys. This firebrand polemic is startling in both it's imagery and attacks on Patriarchal authority. Well thought out and stark in it's honesty it may well change a few minds here, but for the more sensitive masculine soles here I warn you, read no further unless you wish to have your preconceptions shattered and be left "shaking with [add your own emotion]"

Trigger Warning
What are little boys made of made of
What are little boys made of
Snips & snails & puppy dogs tails
And such are little boys made of.
What are young women made of
Sugar & spice & all things nice

welch

Post by welch »

dogen wrote:
welch wrote:So for those of you who pay attention to the news, yet another FSU football player is involved in a sexual assault/rape case.

At least in my field, OSU > FSU. Bumfuckery indeed.
I was talking more about the middle of the state and the highschool football player rape case.

windy

Post by windy »

Badger3k wrote: No, you see, the child trafficking is a cover by the evil agents of the Patriarchy, who seek to oppress the freedom and equality loving Roma, who are true champions of feminism. Plus, Pat Condell is bad, therefore anything he supports is bad. Do any of us actually expect any consistency or fact checking from this crowd?
It must be true, someone read about it in a comic book!
tintin_roma.png
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Unfair targeting does happen, but it seems rather "hyperskeptical" to use it to dismiss allegations of child trafficking.
Badger3k wrote:I agree with others on Condell - sometimes he makes excellent points, but then he puts his boot in his face. Very mixed bag.
Yep.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Sunder wrote: I used to wonder how anyone could live in a world where everything had to be viewed through that Social Justice lens and pretty much EVERYTHING is found wanting.

What do you do for fun in such a world? What can you read? What can you watch?

But except for a few bitter extremists I'm sure many of them enjoy their secret sinful cavorting with verboten entertainment on the side. They just have to keep up appearances in front of the church.
:text-yeahthat:
Richard Dworkins wrote:I've been gone for a while since I was investigating the roots of victim feminism as being a parasitical ideology that corrupted Universal Suffrage, The Womens Rights movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the humanities, literary criticism, politics and any group it attaches itself to.

This took me quite a while, I had do go back further than I imagined, back past the joyless Temperance movement, back past the racist and classist women looking to gain extra favour for themselves while their sons and brothers were turned to mincemeat in French Fields. I had to go back past the late Victorian Puritans, even back before Mary Shelley wrote her wonderful treatise on women, "The Modern Prometheus."

Eventually I found the ur-text, It took me ages. It is a manifesto by the poet, Robert Southey, a romantic poet who was contemporary with the Shelleys. This firebrand polemic is startling in both it's imagery and attacks on Patriarchal authority. Well thought out and stark in it's honesty it may well change a few minds here, but for the more sensitive masculine soles here I warn you, read no further unless you wish to have your preconceptions shattered and be left "shaking with [add your own emotion]"

Trigger Warning
:clap:

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

First of all, sir, Columbus, Ohio, is considered one of the premiere living spots for gay men, so bumfuckery is welcome and accepted. It's not some sort of backwoods area like Tallahassee.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
First of all, sir, Columbus, Ohio, is considered one of the premiere living spots for gay men, so bumfuckery is welcome and accepted. It's not some sort of backwoods area like Tallahassee.
I don't know what's the bumfuck in Ohio, but I can tell you the corridor between Ashtabula and Madison is the taint.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Well, I was drunk last night. Hope I didn't miss anyone embarrassing themselves by freaking out about the baboons, then making a dramatic flounce? That shit is always good for a laugh.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Steersman wrote: :confusion-questionmarks: What the heck is that supposed to mean?

It just struck me as funny at the time that you quoted someone, then added a cryptic sentence of your own. Not your usual style. ;)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Well, I was drunk last night. Hope I didn't miss anyone embarrassing themselves by freaking out about the baboons, then making a dramatic flounce? That shit is always good for a laugh.
Nah, there was just some of this sort of shit:
I am so over this shit. I keep going to FfTB, mostly Meyers's blog, but enough is enough. He's done, he's lost, he's a fucking lunatic just like the rest of his monks and nuns. Fuck him.
Which, although sloppy and overly-dramatic, really don't contain anything a reasonable person could disagree with.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

The latest video from (fake) Femfreq

[youtube]OoqRpQrOymE[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I've been gone for a while since I was investigating the roots of victim feminism as being a parasitical ideology that corrupted Universal Suffrage, The Womens Rights movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the humanities, literary criticism, politics and any group it attaches itself to.

Trigger Warning
Oh sure, you post a trigger warning, but you didn't post trigger warnings for the words "Richard DWORKIN" or "feminist" or "Mary Shelley."

Therefore I can FLOOSH your entire post, you matriarchal stud-shaming fuck! Stop triggering me! I haven't even called a woman a cunt yet today, I can feel my balls becoming a mangina!

[youtube]-aVLDiuNjvc[/youtube]
I better go back to that Nice Guys forum and look at more posters of women kicking prone men. Because, I dunno... That supposedly happened from 1990-2010? I don't know. >_<
http://www.the-niceguy.com/
Now you too can enjoy the MRA equivalent of the A+ forums. :violin: :violin: :violin:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

d4m10n wrote:I don't hate the Pit or FtB. Someone is projecting.
No, you just spent quite some time acting like a condescending twerp while quote mining and deliberately feeding into the false-equivalency/spawn of Satan crap that surrounds the Pit while getting on your high horse to denounce it as 'less than.' Because, after all, why address your repugnant false-equivalence-fostering behavior when you can just pretend to be 'better than both sides.'

Even if you're not. Like when you (when it suits you) go literal when someone uses a metaphor to criticize your behavior even though it's (in my book) pretty obvious its a metaphorical charge.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

James Caruthers wrote:
Therefore I can FLOOSH your entire post, you matriarchal stud-shaming fuck! Stop triggering me! I haven't even called a woman a cunt yet today, I can feel my balls becoming a mangina!

I better go back to that Nice Guys forum and look at more posters of women kicking prone men. Because, I dunno... That supposedly happened from 1990-2010? I don't know. >_<
Now you too can enjoy the MRA equivalent of the A+ forums. :violin: :violin: :violin:
Oh damn. I have to say I've been having a rotten day and that did worlds to cheer me up. Thanks for that.

Some people apparently took it really, really personally when they couldn't get laid as a youth. Protip: if you don't want to be just a friend, try expressing your interest in bedding them from the get go. You'd be amazed how well that works.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

An angry and important read. http://nextfullstop.wordpress.com/

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

You couldn't make it up. New adventures from the twitter front. There was some discussion on the merits of Richard Dawkins, where someone from the oolon camp wrote this (the lower comment by jay, queer as fuck)
Her profile in all seriousness reads:
jay, queer as fuck wrote:the heroine you deserve AND the one you need right now. muslim, bisexual, bipolar, femme, intersectional, geek, smarter than you, immodest
I pointed out that this is a somewhat eccentric combination doesn't exactly demonstrate an firm grasp of reality. Oolon rushed to her defense, retweeted and brought in one M. A. Melby. Who somehow took offense at... something.

It went on for a bit and we could find out a bit more about the demonstrably anti-science views of the Social Justice League . Unless it's some sort of joke, I found this alliance of muslim feminist ( :roll:) with the SJWs noteworthy, as it happens in the context of the recent bashing of people who voice critical opinions of Islam. What Watson began with “Dear Muslima” response finds its logical conclusion there. Extreme culturalism where other cultures misogyny is permissable since anything else would be imperialistic or something, while taking extreme offense with innuendos and double entendres. I'm not claming these are necessary the same people who hold these views next to each other, but I can't help but see them as a kind of alliance against Dawkins (and the parts of the Atheist Community which shares similar views).

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Aneris wrote:You couldn't make it up. New adventures from the twitter front. There was some discussion on the merits of Richard Dawkins, where someone from the oolon camp wrote this (the lower comment by jay, queer as fuck)
Her profile in all seriousness reads:
jay, queer as fuck wrote:the heroine you deserve AND the one you need right now. muslim, bisexual, bipolar, femme, intersectional, geek, smarter than you, immodest
I pointed out that this is a somewhat eccentric combination doesn't exactly demonstrate an firm grasp of reality. Oolon rushed to her defense, retweeted and brought in one M. A. Melby. Who somehow took offense at... something.

It went on for a bit and we could find out a bit more about the demonstrably anti-science views of the Social Justice League . Unless it's some sort of joke, I found this alliance of muslim feminist ( :roll:) with the SJWs noteworthy, as it happens in the context of the recent bashing of people who voice critical opinions of Islam. What Watson began with “Dear Muslima” response finds its logical conclusion there. Extreme culturalism where other cultures misogyny is permissable since anything else would be imperialistic or something, while taking extreme offense with innuendos and double entendres. I'm not claming these are necessary the same people who hold these views next to each other, but I can't help but see them as a kind of alliance against Dawkins (and the parts of the Atheist Community which shares similar views).
People that self-identity as Bipolar are usually a fucking hoot, FYI. And by hoot, I mean absolutely awful.

John D

Post by John D »

At the risk of Welch calling me a racist I will post this. Haha... almost peed myself.
[youtube]Dd7FixvoKBw[/youtube]

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

James Caruthers wrote:

Trigger Warning
Oh sure, you post a trigger warning, but you didn't post trigger warnings for the words "Richard DWORKIN" or "feminist" or "Mary Shelley."

Boozer, next time you're drunkenly laughing at some of your "cleverness," ask someone other than Bjarte if it's really funny. Or, so far as I can tell, other than any SJW It's-funny-only-if-it-agrees-with-us sack of blandness.

Humor rarely is the friend of ideologues, in fact.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

windy wrote: It must be true, someone read about it in a comic book!
tintin_roma.png

Yep.

Gypsies steal shit. It is known.

Gypsies hit my friend's tag sale before it even officially opened. A dozen of them swarmed her house and shoved things down their clothes. One lady bought an old suitcase. My friend opened it and found it stuffed with other things, some of it not even for sale.

I know an hospital nurse. When they admit a gypsy patient, they have to stow everything, because the entire extended family comes to visit and sweeps the hospital clean of anything not nailed to the floor. They train the little children to pilfer.

But it's okay because: Cultural Relativism. Who are we to judge?

toto

Post by toto »

Sulman wrote:An angry and important read. http://nextfullstop.wordpress.com/
It's certainly angry.

For context:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Since when the fuck is The Selfish Gene "sensationalist"?

I'd be fucking stunned if that idiot had ever even touched a copy much less read it.

free thoughtpolice

From the wit and wisdom of Greg Laden, please tell me what this means:

Good skeptical and feminist activism is not the same as whacking a horse to death with a baseball bad after it is already long dead. So to speak. Just sayin’

The “Demise of Bora” was a spectacular play, along the lines of a tragedy. The curtain has fallen, but everyone’s eyes are still affixed to the stage. So there is ample opportunity for people to act out their own little play on the apron. But really, it isn’t necessarily appropriate to do so. The point has been made, the issues have been addressed. Next problem, please.

I’m going to stop now before I make too many too-dense metaphors.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

Good skeptical and feminist activism is not the same as whacking a horse to death with a baseball bad after it is already long dead. So to speak. Just sayin’

The “Demise of Bora” was a spectacular play, along the lines of a tragedy. The curtain has fallen, but everyone’s eyes are still affixed to the stage. So there is ample opportunity for people to act out their own little play on the apron. But really, it isn’t necessarily appropriate to do so. The point has been made, the issues have been addressed. Next problem, please.

Is that in the comments? Greg telling everyone what to do again, I see.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

You beat me to it! It means now that Mr. pitbull walkin', gun totin', martial arts knowin' cock of the walk Greg MOTHERFUCKIN' Laden has spoken, it's time to move on. You know, whether it nearly ruined your life or not. In other words, they slandered and ran, so now everyone should just get over it.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

The Atheism+ Parody account had an easy target today.

free thoughtpolice

Aneris wrote:The Atheism+ Parody account had an easy target today.
Xe couldn't possibly talking about a skinny little dude that dyes his hair fluorescent red and wears a Groucho Marx nose and glasses disguise?

free thoughtpolice

Slightly off topic, an odd news item:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.2434102

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Tribble wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Have you read the biography for Myers on the speakers bios page?
http://whc2014.org.uk/speaker-bios/
PZ Meyers. A godless liberal biologist, P Z Myers is associate professor of biology at the University of Minnesota Morris, currently working with zebrafish in the field of evolutionary developmental biology.

I read this as a dishonest attempt to portray him as a scientist with an active field of research - a bit like describing Jerry Coyne as "currently working with drosophila in the field of evolutionary developmental biology", or Neil Shubin as "working with the fossils of sarcopterygian fish from the Devonian period in the field of evolutionary developmental biology".

In fact Myers hasn't had an active research project in over a decade and has published no peer reviewed research on zebrafish in that time.
He has written about keeping some zebrafish in his department, but it is totally disingenuous to describe it the way it appears in this bio. From what he has written about it on pharyngula I get the impression that he tries to show his students how to breed and cultivate zebrafish in the context of keeping lab animals that may be used for research.

They may perform some basic biology with the fish (dissection, identification of organs, statistical analysis of variation etc) - but basic biology is done in every highschool in the country using frogs and worms - and producing just as much research as Morris Minnesota, apparently.

Would you describe a high school biology teacher as "currently working with frogs and earthworms in the field of evolutionary developmental biology"?

Technically speaking you might be correct, but it is neither accurate, nor does it show respect, to real scientists who have made the effort to succeed in scientific research.
His last ZFIN paper:
DATE: 1997 SOURCE: J. Comp.-Asst. Micros. 9:169-181 (Journal)
REGISTERED AUTHORS: Myers, Paul Z., Sipple, Beth Ann
PubMed: none
BTW 'PubMed: none' means the paper wasn't considered worthwhile. Therefore, no PubMed reference #.

This was his last worthwhile ZFIN paper:
DATE: 1993 SOURCE: Development 117:1261-1274 (Journal)
REGISTERED AUTHORS: Grunwald, David, Myers, Paul Z., Stachel, Scott E.
PubMed: 8104775
Also, if you go to the UMM Biology department. He's got no grants and no active research going on there.
Wait-- I have to go back to this.

My new Bosslady just got promoted to full professor. She is quite a bit younger than PZ (she was starting college when he got his PhD), and is at at one of the top universities in the country.

Why isnt PZ a full professor yet?

DAMN YOU PATRIARCHY!!!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

feralandproud wrote:

You beat me to it! It means now that Mr. pitbull walkin', gun totin', martial arts knowin' cock of the walk Greg MOTHERFUCKIN' Laden has spoken, it's time to move on. You know, whether it nearly ruined your life or not. In other words, they slandered and ran, so now everyone should just get over it.
Come on. Greg has a lot of other lives to try to ruin, he can't care about the consequences. He has no time for the petty little details.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
windy wrote: It must be true, someone read about it in a comic book!
tintin_roma.png

Yep.

Gypsies steal shit. It is known.

Gypsies hit my friend's tag sale before it even officially opened. A dozen of them swarmed her house and shoved things down their clothes. One lady bought an old suitcase. My friend opened it and found it stuffed with other things, some of it not even for sale.

I know an hospital nurse. When they admit a gypsy patient, they have to stow everything, because the entire extended family comes to visit and sweeps the hospital clean of anything not nailed to the floor. They train the little children to pilfer.

But it's okay because: Cultural Relativism. Who are we to judge?
http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/mcodougle.jpg