Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Service Dog »

Southern wrote:....
That said, you should at least start by getting a degree in something "employable" first, then using your financial security as the stepping point into other areas of knowledge. If you want a degree in Medieval History, by all means go and do that, but first make sure you can feed and shelter yourself for the years to come. It's the minimus we should ask from adults: that their pursuit for their pet peeve doesn't burden the rest of society because they can't feed themselves with it.
I think "get a degree in something employable" is the wrong way to go. A better solution is to accept plummeting downward in standard of living. A Medieval History degree goes great with living without heat or hot water, or not being able to afford to have kids. It goes poorly with expecting to maintain the suburban standard of living of one's parents.

My personal hero has an MFA in Conceptual Pottery, but has learned to economize. Rather than pay for a computer and internet connection, or an apartment lease; he just lives on the sidewalk in Seattle, and masturbates to Jen McCreight directly-- eliminating the digital middleman. The Masturbating Hobo is the platonic ideal Slymepitter, he's Rousseau's noble savage, a neitzschean muse for the ages.

A different education path could have made him employable as a middle-manager at Boeing-- it would made him richer, but the world much poorer.

http://xaxor.com/images/other/11149/homeless_08.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

mordacious1 wrote:Well, so much for posting something from photobucket. But it was a picture of an older Helen in a bikini, and I must say, she still looks good. Ever see a picture of her when she was younger? Wowsa!
Rent the X-rated version of the 1978 "Caligula". You see a loooooot of young ms. mirren.

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Well, I would destroy that.
smoking. fucking. hot.

smoking

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/photos/duches ... 09608.html

Kate Middleton looks like shit. I'd take Helen Mirren over KM any day.
No need to make hard decisions. Ain't nothing wrong with love between a man and a woman, or a woman and woman, or two women and a man.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote:
Southern wrote:....My personal hero has an MFA in Conceptual Pottery, but has learned to economize. Rather than pay for a computer and internet connection, or an apartment lease; he just lives on the sidewalk in Seattle, and masturbates to Jen McCreight directly-- eliminating the digital middleman. The Masturbating Hobo is the platonic ideal Slymepitter, he's Rousseau's noble savage, a neitzschean muse for the ages.
That is the best paragraph of text I have ever read.

I think I need to go wipe...

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Well that's lovely. The Swedish Liberal party (liberal in the European sense of leaning center/right of center) has, if the reporting is correct, decided to push for a law that requires proof that everyone agreed to sex, rather than proof that someone said no.
Google translated article.
To be clear, in a theoretical perfect world I'd be all for it. In practice, however, short of recording the whole thing I can't see how the hell it would work.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Service Dog wrote:
My personal hero has an MFA in Conceptual Pottery, but has learned to economize. Rather than pay for a computer and internet connection, or an apartment lease; he just lives on the sidewalk in Seattle, and masturbates to Jen McCreight directly-- eliminating the digital middleman. The Masturbating Hobo is the platonic ideal Slymepitter, he's Rousseau's noble savage, a neitzschean muse for the ages.
Complete horseshit: I have a degree in Analytic Philosophy and even I wouldn't jerk off to Jen McCreight.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Dana Hunter over on FTB's 'En Tequila es Verdad' has a post up now that illustrates the problem with taking SJ warriordom to it's logical conclusion.
That post was concentration of stupid.
Dana Huner wrote:I’m sorry, but we ladies have spent lifetimes subservient to dood wishes. We’re taught from a young age that what the doodz want, they get. If you want to be a cool lady, you don’t ask for, oh, say, The Notebook. You ask for a kung fu movie. And even then, if there’s a game on, the doodz get to overrule you.
lol. "The Notebook"? Seriously? The movie where ladies get to fantasize about the guy who doesn't accept "No", or "No" or "NO" for answer many times? How so fucking joke of feminist of you Dana Hunter. :lol:

[youtube]1gDTFygaSws[/youtube]

"The Notebook"
:lol: I'm still laughing. Just watch the clip if you don't know what is it.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Of interest:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/5 ... 1370827430

For performance artist Adrienne Truscott, dreams like this are the stuff of inspiration. In her new solo show, "Adrienne Truscott's Asking for It! A one-lady rape about comedy starring her pussy...and little else!" Truscott wears a cropped denim jacket, boots, a wig, and, well, not much else.
http://thehairpin.com/2013/11/a-convers ... about-rape

I wonder what the SJW's would think of this lady.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Mykeru wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Complete horseshit: I have a degree in Analytic Philosophy and even I wouldn't jerk off to Jen McCreight.

It was a typo. I meant to say "jerk off at Jen McCreight."

Jerking off to McCreight is what A+, FtB, and Skepchick are for. Big difference.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Foshaug uses Apple Chancery for his dialog, because Apple Chancery has to be the most hackneyed face after Benguiat.

THE classic comic strip face is, duh, Comic Sans.
He probably uses it because it's the first one on the list.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Trophy wrote:That post was concentration of stupid.
Dana Huner wrote:I’m sorry, but we ladies have spent lifetimes subservient to dood wishes. We’re taught from a young age that what the doodz want, they get. If you want to be a cool lady, you don’t ask for, oh, say, The Notebook. You ask for a kung fu movie. And even then, if there’s a game on, the doodz get to overrule you.
http://i.imgur.com/ZIH8TX6.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Meyers has got himself tangled up in the Gordian knot of intent vs perception which he and his friends love to use against us.

His post:
http://i.imgur.com/FiCwYIS.png

And the response from a commenter:

http://i.imgur.com/elrTtJH.png
Oh PZ got owned big time! He didn't even read the article, only the part he found offensive. Amazing.
PZ'z a SCIENTIST! He's above mundanities like RESEARCH and FACTS.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

another lurker wrote:Of interest:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/5 ... 1370827430

For performance artist Adrienne Truscott, dreams like this are the stuff of inspiration. In her new solo show, "Adrienne Truscott's Asking for It! A one-lady rape about comedy starring her pussy...and little else!" Truscott wears a cropped denim jacket, boots, a wig, and, well, not much else.
http://thehairpin.com/2013/11/a-convers ... about-rape

I wonder what the SJW's would think of this lady.
That's my neighbor! I think a working title for her show was "I'm Not Bragging, But I've Been Raped... Twice!"
From the interview, I think she says all the right stuff to please SJWs.
But she's far too much of a sex worker for them to really support her.

Here's a great intro:

[youtube]sSrqR3lEyiA[/youtube]

F

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Just to contrast to Bjarte Whatevadafuck, that reminds me of one of my favorite B. Kliban cartoons:
kliban kli7.GIF
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 366 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Foshaug uses Apple Chancery for his dialog, because Apple Chancery has to be the most hackneyed face after Benguiat.
He probably uses it because it's the first one on the list.
What makes this so funny is, it's almost definitely true.

acathode

Post by acathode »

TedDahlberg wrote:Well that's lovely. The Swedish Liberal party (liberal in the European sense of leaning center/right of center) has, if the reporting is correct, decided to push for a law that requires proof that everyone agreed to sex, rather than proof that someone said no.
To be clear, in a theoretical perfect world I'd be all for it. In practice, however, short of recording the whole thing I can't see how the hell it would work.
It's a result of the lobbying I was talking about earlier, which followed after a controversial non-guilty verdict in the gang-rape trial.

The thing is that it's pretty much impossible to get a grasp of what they actually want to implement as law when they are talking about this without actually giving details of what they want. The whole discussion is technically about actually implementing the idea of "consent" into Swedish law, as Swedish laws currently don't actually bother mentioning consent at all when it comes to rape etc. Instead rape is defined as forcing someone to have sex, or taking advantage of someone when they are helpless, which is in line with the Swedish word for rape, "våldtäkt", which could be translated to something close to "take with violence".

However, what this would actually mean for rape laws and rape trials differs GREATLY depending on who you listen to, as it seems they are asking for VERY different things, yet everyone keep using the same name, "samtyckeslagstiftning", or translated, "consent laws".

If you for example read the proposal from 2010 about implementing consent into the law, it's noted that the burden of proof and the amount of evidence to find someone guilty is not to be changed, and as a result they also noted that conviction rates will not increase. This leads them to one of the negative consequences of changing the law, which is that there is a big expectation for the change to increase conviction rates that will not be realized by the change.

If you however look at what feminists are pushing for, they clearly have stated that they in various ways expect a change to greatly increase conviction rates, so one has to conclude that they also want to lower the bar of evidence required or change the presumption of innocence ("believe the victim!").

Personally, I think there's theoretically a valid point in the discussion, our law should mention consent because that's kinda how the people think of rape today, but... Considering how fucked up the political situation and how infested the issue is with SJW feminists, I also think that if the law where to actually change, the chances are big that we will end up with a fucking mess instead of a proper, functioning law.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

acathode wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Well that's lovely. The Swedish Liberal party (liberal in the European sense of leaning center/right of center) has, if the reporting is correct, decided to push for a law that requires proof that everyone agreed to sex, rather than proof that someone said no.
It's a result of the lobbying I was talking about earlier, which followed after a controversial non-guilty verdict in the gang-rape trial.

The thing is that it's pretty much impossible to get a grasp of what they actually want to implement as law when they are talking about this without actually giving details of what they want. The whole discussion is technically about actually implementing the idea of "consent" into Swedish law, as Swedish laws currently don't actually bother mentioning consent at all when it comes to rape etc. Instead rape is defined as forcing someone to have sex, or taking advantage of someone when they are helpless, which is in line with the Swedish word for rape, "våldtäkt", which could be translated to something close to "take with violence".

However, what this would actually mean for rape laws and rape trials differs GREATLY depending on who you listen to, as it seems they are asking for VERY different things, yet everyone keep using the same name, "samtyckeslagstiftning", or translated, "consent laws".

If you for example read the proposal from 2010 about implementing consent into the law, it's noted that the burden of proof and the amount of evidence to find someone guilty is not to be changed, and as a result they also noted that conviction rates will not increase. This leads them to one of the negative consequences of changing the law, which is that there is a big expectation for the change to increase conviction rates that will not be realized by the change.

If you however look at what feminists are pushing for, they clearly have stated that they in various ways expect a change to greatly increase conviction rates, so one has to conclude that they also want to lower the bar of evidence required or change the presumption of innocence ("believe the victim!").

Personally, I think there's theoretically a valid point in the discussion, our law should mention consent because that's kinda how the people think of rape today, but... Considering how fucked up the political situation and how infested the issue is with SJW feminists, I also think that if the law where to actually change, the chances are big that we will end up with a fucking mess instead of a proper, functioning law.
The controversial case involved a young girl attending a party and who went to a bedroom where five or six boys had sex with her. She claimed afterwards that she did not consent to the sex but was too scared to say no.
There's a bit more to the story as the incident happened in Tensta - a suburb of Stockholm that is populated by immigrants of Somali origin.

I'm guessing the feminist response to the story is that having a law that requires explicit consent to be asked and given before sex takes place, would have made conviction in this case much easier.
But then again, how many people can say they always explicitly ask for consent in sexual situations, rather than simply relying on body language?
Yes, you would catch some rapists with a law of this nature (assuming both parties tell the truth) but you would also have many non rapists finding themselves technically breaking the law despite having no intent to rape.

It's not as if there is no alternative to this measure; simply teaching people to be assertive in saying no to unwanted sex would achieve a similar effect.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

James Caruthers wrote:
Aneris wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Patriarchy is whatever FTB needs it to be. It's the same as saying "the jews" or "the Illuminati."
I got that impression too, yet that wasn't enough for me. I rather like to show them and point them somewhere instead of merely repeating claims that are floating about. Now that there is some general idea about different meanings, nobody on their side can claim it was all clear and generally agreed upon, which I hope becomes apparent already in this collection (I do not think they suddenly converge when each instance is compared). I also learned that Pharyngula Wiki has no entry, but just found out that the Social Justice League controlled RationalWiki does. It also mixes different things into each other and pretends controversy is a MRA thing. Of course, that's a guilty by association/appeal to emotion trickery. It's not unlike claiming only Nazi & Communists find Creationism or the Bible controversial. But that happens when shepherd PZ Myers and his flock gain control over a “rational” wiki.
The two most common definitions I have heard of Patriarchy, from both feminists and MRAs, define it very similarly to how conspiracy theorists define Bilderberg/Illuminati, and how racists define whatever the fuck they think jews are doing.

So on the most basic level, the patriarchy is an order of men who work together (consciously on not) to suppress the rights of women and elevate the rights of men. I think most feminists and SJWs would agree with this definition. MRAs, I have found, typically use the feminist definitions for feminist words, if they bother to use them at all.

And just like jewish conspiracy theories from the KKK, the patriarchy is supposed to have infected absolutely everything. I've heard a few neo-nazis claim that music after a certain time period (1960s or so) was all "Jewish" and was designed to corrupt the brains of America. I have to point out how similar this racist conspiracy theory is to the feminist claim that all music not created by feminists to glorify and empower women is part of the patriarchal plot to keep women down.

They really do bugger up the whole argument with this "patriarchy doesn't have to be intentional" claim. I understand the point, but fuck, way to make your claim impossible to prove or disprove. It's a perfect out for anyone to accuse anyone else of being patriarchal, toss out some word salad to justify the accusation, and then get that person shamed or fired. The only consistent method I have observed that SJWs use to determine whether or not someone is racist or sexist is, ironically that person's gender or skin color.

I think there is a tendency within feminism to keep feminist meanings of words nebulous. Part of the problem someone like Aron has is he thinks these words have consistently-applied definitions. The feminists whose asses he is kissing are more than happy to let him go on believing that, until they decide their victim status has expired. Then we'll suddenly be hearing about how patriarchy surrounds them every day like oxygen molecules (because some woman somewhere saw a halloween costume of a mexican salsa dancer, designed by a mexican salsa dancer, and it offended her), and anyone who asks them how that's even fucking possible will be called a rape apologist. :lol:

The parallels with radical feminists and conspiracy theorists are just overwhelming. Far too many to list. Go to some video where 9/11 truthers or New Agers are arguing in the comments with skeptics, and you'll hear the same arguments coming from the conspiracy theorist that you do from these kinds of feminists. Doubt that 9/11 was an inside job? SHEEP, I BET YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING THE GOVERNMENT SAYS. Doubt that Atlantis was a real place? ARROGANT SCOFFER, WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY AND BITTER? Maybe you think that music has nothing to do with jewish mind control? YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A PAWN OF THE JEWS. Patriarchy (as described by feminism) doesn't exist or is too poorly defined to mean anything? WHY DO YOU HATE WOMEN? CLEARLY YOU ARE ANGRY AND BITTER. YOU'RE JUST A PAWN OF THE PATRIARCHY. I BET YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING MRAS SAY. :lol:

RationalWiki is a fucking joke. "Rational" was never meant to be a code word for one side of a two-side political spectrum.
I didn't have to quote the whole thing, but it's an important post.

Nebulous definitions of words (e.g., patriarchy, feminism, sexism, misogyny, rape, apology, blame, racism, oppression, ally) indeed allow for goalpost-shifting at the equivocator's whim. It's problematic because the surface-level definitions attract good, reasonable people, most of whom are content simply to have identified themselves with the right (read: PC) side and won't probe any further. Only the minority who probe further will run into the precarious word games undergirding the whole SJ structure, a structure that threatens to collapse if enough people realize how weak its foundation is. But if by the time you glimpse beneath the surface you've already put all your chips in, you probably won't even notice all the bullshit you're swimming in, and consequently you mindlessly reinforce the structure and make it more difficult for those capable of actual critical thinking and evidence-based reasoning to call out that bullshit.

Caruthers also points to a major flaw in the SJW mindset, and I'll add that it's a flaw of many other ideologies, too:
James Caruthers wrote: And just like jewish conspiracy theories from the KKK, the patriarchy is supposed to have infected absolutely everything.
Many people (including scholars who should know better) fundamentally misunderstand how culture works. They assume that any widespread idea in a culture must be ubiquitous, playing into every interaction, decision, and thought process of every individual. This is as much an assumption about human psychology as anything, and there's no evidence for it whatsoever (FLOOSH!). The assumption certainly makes it easier to grapple with understanding culture, but only because it ignores what makes culture so complex.

I've encountered cultural historians who do this, too—Composer X lived in a time and place when/where Painter Y and Philosopher Z were exploring certain ideas in their work, and so therefore Composer X must have been influenced by Painter Y and Philosopher Z because I see some similar ideas in Composer X's work. Or: Composer X, Painter Y, and Philosopher Z were all absorbing the same cultural currents, and that explains the similarities I detect in their work. Of course, sometimes there is enough evidence to support these kinds of claims, but often there really isn't. And even though there's probably almost always some truth to the broader "cultural currents" idea, it's frequently overstated and used as a cop-out to reassure ourselves that we understand culture.

Assumptions about human psychology strike me as a problem common to political ideologies. When conservatives in the US insist that a stronger safety net for the needy will collapse the economy because it disincentivizes work, they're making a claim about human psychology. There happens to be a kernel of truth to it (i.e., nations with stronger safety nets tend to have slightly higher unemployment rates and lower productivity), but it's stated as some absolute truth that will inevitably lead to disaster. Another example: a liberal friend on Facebook insisted that a Republican plan to raise the maximum number of hours per week that employed high-school students could legally work would inevitably lead to significantly lower graduation rates in the state in question. No matter that data on graduation rates and child labor laws for US states are readily available and reveal no such correlation.

Sorry if this wasn't particularly coherent, but I do think that Caruthers is getting at some truth and I felt compelled to riff on it.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY5wPTZCUAEWKnB.jpg:large

A new genuine Bjarte!

It's like finding a Van Gogh, hidden in your granny's attic!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

James Caruthers wrote: The two most common definitions I have heard of Patriarchy, from both feminists and MRAs, define it very similarly to how conspiracy theorists define Bilderberg/Illuminati, and how racists define whatever the fuck they think jews are doing.

So on the most basic level, the patriarchy is an order of men who work together (consciously on not) to suppress the rights of women and elevate the rights of men. I think most feminists and SJWs would agree with this definition. MRAs, I have found, typically use the feminist definitions for feminist words, if they bother to use them at all.

And just like jewish conspiracy theories from the KKK, the patriarchy is supposed to have infected absolutely everything. I've heard a few neo-nazis claim that music after a certain time period (1960s or so) was all "Jewish" and was designed to corrupt the brains of America. I have to point out how similar this racist conspiracy theory is to the feminist claim that all music not created by feminists to glorify and empower women is part of the patriarchal plot to keep women down.
I certainly see parallels with the rhetoric expounded in support of 'the patriarchy' with the effluvia from white surpremacists when they talk of ZOG. Certainly, in Jon Ronsons' 'Them: Adventures With Extremists', various factions - from Pastor Richard Butler's Aryan Nations to radical Islamic extremists - view the tentacles of ZOG as being so pervasive and far reaching that they consider large swathes of non-jews to be doing the bidding of Jews, either consciously or not. As Ronson himself observed - according to these sorts, you don't actually have to be Jewish to be a Jew.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY5wPTZCUAEWKnB.jpg:large

A new genuine Bjarte!

LINK!! GOD DAMN YOU!

I prefer to think of these genuine Bjarte's as "Banksy's". Easy to replicate visually but the deeper meaning cannot be copied. Just look at that image, for fucks sake. It couldn't be less funny could it? It would be funnier without text. It would be funnier if the text was a recipe for flan. Literally anything else in the speech bubble would be funnier that what Bjarte's written.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Visually similar images" = Forever Alone. heh.
http://i.imgur.com/XKBrG7H.png

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Service Dog wrote:"Visually similar images" = Forever Alone. heh.
http://i.imgur.com/XKBrG7H.png
Hahaha. No doubt.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bjarte is the current king of the Pit. The last three days or so have been all about the Bjarte.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Bjarte is the current king of the Pit. The last three days or so have been all about the Bjarte.
All the faux Bjartes should be collected on a Tumblr site or something,

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Hunt wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Hunt wrote:Ack. Just made the mistake of actually reading Hunter's post. Yeah, if the guy really did threaten violence and transphobia just because he saw an unexpected penis, and if he carries that sentiment into the present, I can see where that might call for a stand. Unfortunately, Hunter doesn't give us enough info to make a judgement call. Who votes that B actually has the straight poop and Hunter is overreacting? And now she's going to cut off another sanity check in her life.

Some people have a talent for making themselves miserable.
I thought her initial statement: "It wasn’t over-the-top, just the typical red-blooded American male brand where there’s no way in hell he’s gonna end up in bed with a man, no matter how good his or her makeup is", ruled out the possibility that he threatened violence and still felt the same today.
Wouldn't threatening to almost kill someone be "over-the-top"?
It seems most likely he had something similar to the initial "Crying Game" reaction, which for a contemporary hetero adolescent male is pretty much the only reaction possible. I imagine a certain amount of anger would also be present, but who's to say it wouldn't be justified?! I mean, there is a certain presumption being made by the prostitute. But who knows, this is Dana Hunter writing, after all.
The NYT has a column called The Ethicist. A couple of years ago a woman wrote to him with this story. She goes to a reform synagogue and met this guy. They hit it off and started dating. Eventually they reach naked time, at which point the guy reveals he has a vagina. The woman is upset and feels deceived. She wants to know if she should warn others in her congregation. The Ethicist tells her that she's under no obligation to keep the transman's secret, but making some kind of announcement would be rude and that she should just tell her story to a couple of friends and word will get out.
This was covered on a gay blog I read. You could've heard the wailing in the comments section. According to a lot of commenters both the woman and the Ethicists were monsters. I feel for trans people because it's an inconceivably difficult situation and the rates of violence against them exceeds that of pretty much every minority, but if you aren't going to disclose then you should expect people to fel deceived, and no one is required to keep your status private. The fact that a lot of commenters felt that a straight woman wouldn't happily munch on this dude's vagina made her a horrible bigot shows how disconnected SJWs are from the real world and that is a hinderence to actual progress.

katamari Damassi

The Bjarte "Outrageous" would make an excellent fake surlyramic.

katamari Damassi

The Bjarte "Outrageous" would make an excellent fake surlyramic.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

katamari Damassi wrote:The Bjarte "Outrageous" would make an excellent fake surlyramic.
A dog turd on a boot lace would make...ah, fill in the rest yourself.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Service Dog wrote:The Social Justice Warriors seek to install themselves as the HR Department of the world, beyond the workplace.
Whole post was good, but this insight deserves pulling out and applauding.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
acathode wrote:

The controversial case involved a young girl attending a party and who went to a bedroom where five or six boys had sex with her. She claimed afterwards that she did not consent to the sex but was too scared to say no.
There's a bit more to the story as the incident happened in Tensta - a suburb of Stockholm that is populated by immigrants of Somali origin.

I'm guessing the feminist response to the story is that having a law that requires explicit consent to be asked and given before sex takes place, would have made conviction in this case much easier.
But then again, how many people can say they always explicitly ask for consent in sexual situations, rather than simply relying on body language?
Yes, you would catch some rapists with a law of this nature (assuming both parties tell the truth) but you would also have many non rapists finding themselves technically breaking the law despite having no intent to rape.

It's not as if there is no alternative to this measure; simply teaching people to be assertive in saying no to unwanted sex would achieve a similar effect.
That law wouldn't have changed the situation. If she's too scared to say "no", then the likelihood of her saying "yes" out of the same fear goes up, and now you have "proof" of consent. Next you'll have to prove it was freely given and now it's all mind reading and test tube babies because who the fuck would risk having sex?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Bjartniks respond, with hollow-eyes, metallic laughter, and plastic dogma.

http://i.imgur.com/4jJm6Xb.png

Absract Bjarte, 2013
http://i.imgur.com/VubcnzR.jpg

Window into Mother Redux, (Ogvorbian Semen Toilets Dreamscape), 2013

Unicameral Self-Zone, 2013

Testosterone Poisoning Gaia, 2013

Art+ tillary, 2013 (with Richard Carrier)

Draw Muhammad Day, 2013 (with Rebecca Watson) model: Lazy Savant, styling: Zvan Leather

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Private Rex attempts to join the Setar Division.
A "teachable moment" results.

[youtube]Z2xENZL39E4[/youtube]

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

My fainting couch, please!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I just had a new idea: someone should do a "Hitler Reacts" video, but with all the FtB/A+ crowd.

If only someone would do that.

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

acathode wrote:
spiffigt wrote:
acathode wrote: Speaking of threats, a guy in a Swedish newspaper wrote a small column two days ago [...]
I have missed this. Linky?
Original column: http://www.expressen.se/gt/kronikorer/k ... s-drommar/
Blog-post by SVDs editorial writer Sanna Rayman about the twitter-storm that followed, mentioning some of the viler tweets that are now removed: http://blog.svd.se/ledarbloggen/2013/11 ... barnrumpa/
Thanks!

The reactions are truly of the stupid (and ugly) kind. Rayman's article was kinda' sheit too but that's neither here nor there.
Quick, Karl-Johan, change your gender identity and cash in on e-begging and the 'con speaking business. I'm sure there's room for you in the clown car. But what do I know, perhaps he likes having an actual job.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Surly Amy: Turning other peoples creations into cheap crap.
For an artist, Amy appears to struggle with originality.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote:
Window into Mother Redux, (Ogvorbian Semen Toilets Dreamscape), 2013
Jesus Christ.

You bastards are going to kill me. That title, I'm in tears, it's like an H.R. Geiger from an alternate reality!

And a new Gefan video too.

:D :D :D

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

My official Rebecca stalking post for today. This is just too easy:
Sure, that would never happen in the SJ sphere.
Pretty much never justified, right. Probably a deep rift waiting to happen within the FTB/Skepchick alliance. Ophelia's raged herself into a coma, I guess, that's why she couldn't condemn Rebecca's ruthless tweets yet. Or maybe she waits for someone else to write a blogpost that she can then copy.

Then there's also this:
I don't think Rebeccca even knows the meaning of the word 'science' anymore when she thinks her inane ramblings qualify. I'd also like to see the Venn diagramm of people wanting her to keep her "cunt mouth shut" with people wanting her to "keep making science videos." Have a drink, sweety, you're all confused. :lol:

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

Service Dog wrote:I just had a new idea: someone should do a "Hitler Reacts" video, but with all the FtB/A+ crowd.

This could be so awesome! :clap:

Southern

Post by Southern »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I just had a new idea: someone should do a "Hitler Reacts" video, but with all the FtB/A+ crowd.

This could be so awesome! :clap:
I bet the person who does that will be forever recognized by the FTB/A+ crowd as a worthy foe. But who will rise up to this challenge? Or, like they used to say in Mexico:

¿Oh, y ahora, quien podra defenderme?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Yeah, Becky, please keep your cunt shut. The last thing we need is a remake of Chatterbox! starring yourself.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gefan wrote:Private Rex attempts to join the Setar Division.
A "teachable moment" results.

[youtube]Z2xENZL39E4[/youtube]
Pfffft! There aren't half that many people in Morris MN.

I still giggle uncontrollably each time I see "Der Peezusbunker." :lol:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

A new genuine Bjarte!

LINK!! GOD DAMN YOU!

I prefer to think of these genuine Bjarte's as "Banksy's". Easy to replicate visually but the deeper meaning cannot be copied. Just look at that image, for fucks sake. It couldn't be less funny could it? It would be funnier without text. It would be funnier if the text was a recipe for flan. Literally anything else in the speech bubble would be funnier that what Bjarte's written.
It got retweeted by comedy fans Ophelia and Aratina.

welch

Post by welch »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:My official Rebecca stalking post for today. This is just too easy:
Sure, that would never happen in the SJ sphere.
Pretty much never justified, right. Probably a deep rift waiting to happen within the FTB/Skepchick alliance. Ophelia's raged herself into a coma, I guess, that's why she couldn't condemn Rebecca's ruthless tweets yet. Or maybe she waits for someone else to write a blogpost that she can then copy.

Then there's also this:
I don't think Rebeccca even knows the meaning of the word 'science' anymore when she thinks her inane ramblings qualify. I'd also like to see the Venn diagramm of people wanting her to keep her "cunt mouth shut" with people wanting her to "keep making science videos." Have a drink, sweety, you're all confused. :lol:
no you acephalic waste of liver function. When you're doing a video about science, do the science video. Everything is not about you, even if you're making the video. You want to make a video about your hate mail, do that too, fill yer boots. But stop acting as though everyone on the planet needs to know about your fucking drama every time they see/hear/talk to you.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

It's not all that funny, but CoP put up the raw files and I had ten minutes to kill at work, so ...
BJ - Copy.jpg
(68.42 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
And yes, I was too damned lazy to figure out how to remove the jester feet in the final frame or line up the dialog balloons properly.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote: ...here's a secret: Business majors and people who study "practical" things? They generally aren't very smart or capable.

Christ you're an idiot. In my old college the current GPA required to get into the College of Business is 2.90. It's easier to get into engineering, physics and just about every other major than business.

The reason being is that its HIGHLY COMPETITIVE due to business degrees being considered, by college students and companies, rather more important than shit like this:

Africana Studies 2.00
American Indian Studies 2.00
Anthropology 2.00
Chicana and Chicano Studies 2.00
Comparative International Studies 2.00
Music 2.00
Social Science 2.00
Urban Studies (Urban Cultures & Societies) 2.00
Women's Studies 2.00

And so on...

In fact, the FEW programs that have a higher GPA entrance requirement are TINY programs. Not huge programs like the ones run by the College of Business.

And those crappy programs. That's where a lot of the flunk-outs go. The ones that couldn't handle stuff like calculus and statistics and accounting, you know, the basic core business courses that everyone has to know to graduate...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm wondering: am I the only one here not having any degrees or education beyond junior-high? I feel left out.
I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anybody here that I left school at sixteen. All my education took place in Catholic schools and I couldn't wait to get away from those hypocritical fuckers. The head of the sixth form begged me to stay on and have a run at uni, but I'd had enough.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

A new genuine Bjarte!

For a moment I thought, "How could Dick Strawkins of all people have produced such an utterly shitty black hole of non-humour?"

Then I saw it was an original Bjarte. :lol:

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I'm guessing the feminist response to the story is that having a law that requires explicit consent to be asked and given before sex takes place, would have made conviction in this case much easier.
Well that's just the thing I was trying to get at, it's very hard ATM to figure out what anyone actually want. Everyone, from politicians to feminist organizations just keep repeating "consent laws!", but they must mean very different things with it, since they are expecting very different things to come out of it.
welch wrote:That law wouldn't have changed the situation. If she's too scared to say "no", then the likelihood of her saying "yes" out of the same fear goes up, and now you have "proof" of consent. Next you'll have to prove it was freely given and now it's all mind reading and test tube babies because who the fuck would risk having sex?
Our law already covers being under threat and being to scared to say no or forced to say yes. The thing with this case is that the girl apparently did not give consent and claims that she was to scared to say no, but since Swedish law don't actually care about consent, only if she was in a helpless state or if she was forced/threatened into sex, her non-consent wasn't enough.
The fact that she was scared would've been though, if the prosecutor had managed to show that the girl had a legitimate fear making her unable to say no, the verdict would've most likely been guilty. However, since there was another girl at the same party who said "no" to sex and had her wishes respected, the court judged that she didn't have sufficient reasons to be scared, and thus couldn't be considered to be in a helpless state (or something along those lines, again I'm no lawyer, and I haven't even read the court documents in this case, just the media coverage).

ps. Anyone else pondering if maybe Bjarte might be the answer to why the hell "Fred Basset" is in every damn newspaper? I mean, there must be at least one single person on this earth that find that find "Fred Basset" funny, else they wouldn't keep running it, and since the original author is dead, who else but Bjarte might it be?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jan Steen wrote:

A new genuine Bjarte!

For a moment I thought, "How could Dick Strawkins of all people have produced such an utterly shitty black hole of non-humour?"

Then I saw it was an original Bjarte. :lol:
You raise an important point - now that we've started making our own Bjartees we need to make sure we don't mix them up with the genuine articles. We don't want to give people the impression that we are as humorless as Foshaug - and more importantly, we don't want to accidently give the impression that Bjarte has ever made a funny cartoon!
:D

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Hunt wrote:Ack. Just made the mistake of actually reading Hunter's post. Yeah, if the guy really did threaten violence and transphobia just because he saw an unexpected penis, and if he carries that sentiment into the present, I can see where that might call for a stand. Unfortunately, Hunter doesn't give us enough info to make a judgement call. Who votes that B actually has the straight poop and Hunter is overreacting? And now she's going to cut off another sanity check in her life.

Some people have a talent for making themselves miserable.
That follows the same pattern of cults. If someone disagrees with your beliefs, or acts against them in some way, then you have to separate yourself from them to prevent infection. The SJWs behave like other religious believers, and we've seen the isolation on A+ and FfTB. The idea of having friends who you disagree with just isn't in their mindset. The enemy must be stamped out or cast out - no exceptions. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have "abandoned" their kids similar to a fundie with a gay kid (or an atheist kid). The Cause is the ultimate - there can be no exceptions.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Esteleth, statistically significant to p ≤ 0.001

13 November 2013 at 9:37 pm (UTC -6)

Oh, Caine! This isn’t really a Thunderdome question, but you’re here and I’m curious.

Are you familiar with the band One Republic? Some of their music uses themes/sounds that I’m hesitantly pegging as being possibly Native-derived (and, for good measure, their latest album is called “Native”) and the artwork looks to my untrained eye as using iconography similar to some of the Plains nations. I guess I’m asking if – to your knowledge – they’re being imperialistic dirtbags grabbing at cultural traditions that aren’t theirs or not.
Good thing Esteleth asked a genuine .005% Oglalla Lakota this question. It's important to separate the phonies from the real thing. :clap:

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

Humor. Tool of the Patriarchy.

Bjarte Foshaug. Anti-Patriarchy.

The hipsters get it, you don't. Plus, how subtlety ironic is it to act as if you're going to be funny, but merely tell Truth? It is therefore Interesting, if your consciousness is raised.

I can hardly wait for SJW Rock.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tribble wrote:
Really? wrote: ...here's a secret: Business majors and people who study "practical" things? They generally aren't very smart or capable.

Christ you're an idiot. In my old college the current GPA required to get into the College of Business is 2.90. It's easier to get into engineering, physics and just about every other major than business.

The reason being is that its HIGHLY COMPETITIVE due to business degrees being considered, by college students and companies, rather more important than shit like this:

Africana Studies 2.00
American Indian Studies 2.00
Anthropology 2.00
Chicana and Chicano Studies 2.00
Comparative International Studies 2.00
Music 2.00
Social Science 2.00
Urban Studies (Urban Cultures & Societies) 2.00
Women's Studies 2.00

And so on...

In fact, the FEW programs that have a higher GPA entrance requirement are TINY programs. Not huge programs like the ones run by the College of Business.

And those crappy programs. That's where a lot of the flunk-outs go. The ones that couldn't handle stuff like calculus and statistics and accounting, you know, the basic core business courses that everyone has to know to graduate...
You are speaking from your experience and I am speaking from mine. I offer the following in the spirit of Slymepit love:

http://www.bullnotbull.com/gallery/imag ... rd-mba.jpg

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

@Dick Strawkins
we don't want to accidently give the impression that Bjarte has ever made a funny cartoon!
I think the original are hilarious. Am I the only one that finds a pathetic attempt at humor funny? Granted, you end up laughing mostly at Bjarte, but still...

They're a type of...hmmm...BJ Arte?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:
Toronto Mayor Rob For is at it again Toronto crack mayor: I’ve got ‘too much (pussy) to eat at home’ to proposition staffers.
Ford was answering accusations about a reportedly epic night of drug and alcohol-fueled misbehavior on St. Patrick’s Day, 2013. The night of frenzied partying allegedly involved cocaine, OxyContin, vodka, a prostitute and Ford telling staffer Olivia Gondek, “I want to eat your p*ssy.”

“I would never do that,” Ford asserted at the press conference, which was broadcast live over Canadian television networks. “I’ve got more than enough to eat at home.”
Say it like it is bro! I swear I want to move back to the GTA just so I can vote for him next election.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Selenite

Post by Selenite »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: I have learned way more (bullshit or factual) since I dropped school than I ever have while in school. It seems teachers and the whole educational system aren't doing what they should be doing.

Discuss.

ps: touch my yellow crayon, and it will be war!
You're looking at school wrong. A degree isn't an education. They're certifications. People definitely learn stuff while getting their degree, but if the goal is education (and you don't care about the paper at the end), a degree-program is a mediocre use of time, and a horrible waste of money.

Professors are generally doing stuff 'right'. They're running a certification program and training future researchers. They also produce stuff that's useful for education, like books, lectures and papers.

The problem is that people are paying for $40k+ professional certifications in areas they don't intend to do professionally. They shouldn't do this.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm wondering: am I the only one here not having any degrees or education beyond junior-high? I feel left out.
No tertiary education here Phil. You are not alone. I finished high school and intentionally failed it.