Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

So something that I keep seeing, not just here, but really, all over.

Just because someone isn't singing the Free Software Song, that doesn't mean they don't know about free software. Assuming they have no idea about it, or that they are using it right now is, when you think about it, insulting as fuck. Because when you say shit like that, you're telling the other person "clearly you're too stupid to know you're using free software RIGHT NOW."

Well no, asshole, that's not the case. It is entirely possible to recognize the HUGE benefits and contributions of Free software and still think that RMS and his legions are dipshits who hurt their cause as much as help it.

You may want to not assume the only reason for criticism is stupidity or ignorance. Just sayin'.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Steersman wrote:
Though I don't get the one with the crane.
It's from Spinal Tap. They were going to really shock the crowds with their huge stonehenge set piece. A scaling error produced a rather expensive but entirely underwheliming midget version.

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

welch wrote:So basically, if you aren't a programmer, you have to hope the person you're asking is competent and telling you the truth. Which you have absolutely no way to verify yourself. Except by finding someone ELSE to to check on them, so on and so forth. Which is exactly the situation that people have with closed source software. They have to rely on someone else. Free the software, free the software hackers.
For systems that run on non-free software I have no choice at all to have someone else that I trust inspect it. Just because free software doesn't solve all problems doesn't mean it is not an improvement.
welch wrote:Open source, free software, whatever the fuck version you want to use is a developmental methodology. Nothing more.
Open source is a developmental methodology, "Free Software" as the FSF and RMS use the term is a set of freedoms for a user.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
welch wrote:It confers neither moral superiority nor inferiority no matter how many times RMS stamps his feet otherwise, and the kicker, the kicker in all of this is that the current version of the GPL restricts the SHIT out of what you're allowed to do with GPL 3 software.
I have not seen RMS assert that free software confers moral superiority, with or without stamping his feet. Link?
welch wrote:If you want actual "free" software, you use BSD licensed kit. Anyone saying the GPL is a fully free license is either ignorant or lying.
What the FSF means by "Free Software" is clearly defined and their licenses conform to that definition. Since the word "free" can have a lot of different meanings you can certainly come up with other interpretations of what "Free Software" or "fully free" means to you. If those interpretations differ from those of the FSF then you are free to use other licenses or modified GPL licenses. The FSF even helps you with that by listing some alternatives http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

welch

Post by welch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
welch wrote:
spiffigt wrote: The difference being that you can hire as many people as you want/can afford to check the software. Will all of them lie in exactly the same way? In closed source you have to trust exactly one entity - the provider of the software.
Because you can pay for that in cheese, or cheap beer, right? So if you aren't a programmer or have lots of spare money laying around, the difference between open source and closed source is:

a) Price
b) See a)

I can dump all the parts needed to build an aircraft carrier in your yard. Doesn't mean it's going to do you a lick of fucking good. Same concept. Source code, especially given the state of some of that shit, (sendmail...brr), does a VERY limited number of people some good. For the average non-technical person, it does them no good at all. It takes a lot of expertise to use that shit.
Not attacking your position, but are you saying that it's better to have no chance of understanding than a small one? If I have some questions about most open source code, there's usually somewhere to research or even someone to ask. With the big players, you simply hope that they did it right, and that government and said industry giants aren't colluding on some level. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your position?
No, I'm not. To the right people, access to the source code is a really good thing. It has helped create a lot of really awesome stuff, and I freely and happily acknowledge it. (it also predates stallman by some decades.) But it is not, as Stallman et al want to pretend, the key to computing nirvana. In fact, if you objectively look at his model, it's anything but "free". Compare the BSD license, (an actual free license) to the current version of the GPL. The difference on every level is huge. The GPL is free, but the kind of freedom that comes with a gun at your head. BSD is an actual free license, and RMS is not overly fond of it because of the lack of arm-twisting.

To quote Jordan Hubbard, one of the folks who founded FreeBSD:
The GPL is not something we really considered to be a license so much as a political manifesto, and speaking purely for myself, I prefer to keep my license agreements and my politics separate. I feel that code which isn't being used in a situation where it COULD be used is code which isn't achieving its full potential and the GPL scares a lot of potential users away, which is simply counter-productive in my opinion. I don't care whether or not the users give their changes back to me, that's just an added bonus if it happens and nothing I'd want to try and enforce at the point of a gun.
RMS views this as a moral issue and treats people the way you'd expect. If you don't agree with him, you're a bad person. Software and companies that don't conform to his view of the world are *morally* bad.

Thanks but no thanks.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Fuck, it's a rat. Unless it is well and truly inbred or something, rats can shake an infection that would kill any other self-respecting critter. When you see them in the "wild" settings, you find them with horrific scars or even missing limbs, tails, eyes...they are tough.
For some reason the rat surgery picture reminded me of this:

[youtube]2EVXQYaRCjg[/youtube]

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

welch wrote:
spiffigt wrote:
welch wrote: So basically, if you aren't a programmer, you have to hope the person you're asking is competent and telling you the truth. Which you have absolutely no way to verify yourself. Except by finding someone ELSE to to check on them, so on and so forth. Which is exactly the situation that people have with closed source software. They have to rely on someone else. Free the software, free the software hackers.
The difference being that you can hire as many people as you want/can afford to check the software. Will all of them lie in exactly the same way? In closed source you have to trust exactly one entity - the provider of the software.
Because you can pay for that in cheese, or cheap beer, right? So if you aren't a programmer or have lots of spare money laying around, the difference between open source and closed source is:

a) Price
b) See a)

I can dump all the parts needed to build an aircraft carrier in your yard. Doesn't mean it's going to do you a lick of fucking good. Same concept. Source code, especially given the state of some of that shit, (sendmail...brr), does a VERY limited number of people some good. For the average non-technical person, it does them no good at all. It takes a lot of expertise to use that shit.
I was leaning towards organizations not individuals. Very few people have the time or knowledge to evaluate most anything in their lives - least of all the software they're using.

I have never tried to make sense of sendmail's code but I have had the misfortune to try to make sense of some icky-icky source in my day. Lately I've mostly had to suffer porting linuxtards programs that have never heard of anything non-linux/glibc. Like hardcoding /bin/bash everywhere.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Aneris wrote:I appreciate what Justin is doing. And I'm not even in the US, I can enjoy it from a safe distance. Seriously though, the Republicans and their Dominionist and Theocratic pals are rather scary and I really do appreciate when people do this type of activism. Thanks Justin.
Justin, in comparison to the online slacktivists, is actually out there doing something.

Suggestion for Justin: have the Home Depot cut you some 1 by 3 strips to the length of that banner, and staple the long edges of the banner to them for rigidity.

welch

Post by welch »

goddamn 'nym wrote:
welch wrote:So basically, if you aren't a programmer, you have to hope the person you're asking is competent and telling you the truth. Which you have absolutely no way to verify yourself. Except by finding someone ELSE to to check on them, so on and so forth. Which is exactly the situation that people have with closed source software. They have to rely on someone else. Free the software, free the software hackers.
For systems that run on non-free software I have no choice at all to have someone else that I trust inspect it. Just because free software doesn't solve all problems doesn't mean it is not an improvement.
welch wrote:Open source, free software, whatever the fuck version you want to use is a developmental methodology. Nothing more.
Open source is a developmental methodology, "Free Software" as the FSF and RMS use the term is a set of freedoms for a user.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
welch wrote:It confers neither moral superiority nor inferiority no matter how many times RMS stamps his feet otherwise, and the kicker, the kicker in all of this is that the current version of the GPL restricts the SHIT out of what you're allowed to do with GPL 3 software.
I have not seen RMS assert that free software confers moral superiority, with or without stamping his feet. Link?
welch wrote:If you want actual "free" software, you use BSD licensed kit. Anyone saying the GPL is a fully free license is either ignorant or lying.
What the FSF means by "Free Software" is clearly defined and their licenses conform to that definition. Since the word "free" can have a lot of different meanings you can certainly come up with other interpretations of what "Free Software" or "fully free" means to you. If those interpretations differ from those of the FSF then you are free to use other licenses or modified GPL licenses. The FSF even helps you with that by listing some alternatives http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

"A Stark Moral Choice"

also, again, for the love of christ, why must FSF people assume that if you don't love the FSF, the ONLY possible reason is because you don't know anything about it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ still doesn't get why responsible, reputation focused organisations get really nervous when shit erupts.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -american/

This blindness to issues of corporate governance is evidenced in his posts on JREF as well.

The fact he thinks companies should react in this same moralising do or die manner as the committed SJW shows just how little relevance there is to be found in liberal arts Hicksville USA.
Yeah - definitely clueless, but he lives in his own little isolated world, and has very little experience with what we like to call the real world. It includes such things as liability, which hopefully he will receive some instruction in as soon as Shermer's lawyers finish their work. I guess that Ken from Popehat fellow is the go-to guy for social justice justifications? I haven't gone there and read what he wrote, but seeing him promoted as often as he is by the SJWs makes me suspicious of his advice (again, I haven't read his stuff, so I have no factual data on it, just my feeling).

Since we are such a litigious society, companies like SA have to take precautions, and while PZ may claim that he is unconcerned with lawsuits (since he is on the side of everything Right and Holy), his insistence that everyone else act that way (and respond in the appropriate SJW manner) is just fucked up. Lost my train of thought on where I was going with that. Maybe it'll come back later.

welch

Post by welch »

spiffigt wrote:
welch wrote:
spiffigt wrote: The difference being that you can hire as many people as you want/can afford to check the software. Will all of them lie in exactly the same way? In closed source you have to trust exactly one entity - the provider of the software.

a) Price
b) See a)

I was leaning towards organizations not individuals. Very few people have the time or knowledge to evaluate most anything in their lives - least of all the software they're using.

I have never tried to make sense of sendmail's code but I have had the misfortune to try to make sense of some icky-icky source in my day. Lately I've mostly had to suffer porting linuxtards programs that have never heard of anything non-linux/glibc. Like hardcoding /bin/bash everywhere.
Oh I know, and it's all over. I took a look at using VMware's command line stuff on a non-linux unix. They hardcode in so many linux assumptions that you'd almost have to rewrite the entire fucking thing.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 97#p135697):
It also doesn't make anyone do shit they wouldn't normally do, it just gives them an excuse.
Actually, I don't think you are technically right with that. As far as I can remember, alcohol can indeed make people do things they would not ordinarily do, due to the effect it has on cognitive function, subduing or releasing even deeply enforced social constraints and morés that people function socially with, and, so to speak, allowing the R-complex to take precedence over the cerebral cortex and its social functions controls.

I could, of course, be wrong about that, but I don't think I am.

Bottom line: I think there is too much oversimplification of alcohol's effect on cognitive/behavioural function.

Parody Accountant

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Aneris wrote:I appreciate what Justin is doing. And I'm not even in the US, I can enjoy it from a safe distance. Seriously though, the Republicans and their Dominionist and Theocratic pals are rather scary and I really do appreciate when people do this type of activism. Thanks Justin.
Justin, in comparison to the online slacktivists, is actually out there doing something.

Suggestion for Justin: have the Home Depot cut you some 1 by 3 strips to the length of that banner, and staple the long edges of the banner to them for rigidity.
Seriously, man, do that.

Or ask FFRF for access to their stockpile of old (but rigid) banners. Show them this exact picture, and the positive / neutral press you got. They'll understand the reasonable request, I'm sure.

You would look better with more people there. Nobody from NEPA? Or were those 2 other people atheists? I thought they were just people walking to their apartment building. I also thought you might be protesting an apartment building for some reason (context missing). It's always tough to frame a photograph to include the context of a particular protest, but worth doing. If it's a church, show the steeple, etc.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

SkepticalCat wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Fuck, it's a rat. Unless it is well and truly inbred or something, rats can shake an infection that would kill any other self-respecting critter. When you see them in the "wild" settings, you find them with horrific scars or even missing limbs, tails, eyes...they are tough.
For some reason the rat surgery picture reminded me of this:

[youtube]2EVXQYaRCjg[/youtube]
Is be funny. I kept thinking of FtB ingroup/outgroup dynamics with the two rats...

Huehuehue

Post by Huehuehue »

Badger3k wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ still doesn't get why responsible, reputation focused organisations get really nervous when shit erupts.

This blindness to issues of corporate governance is evidenced in his posts on JREF as well.

The fact he thinks companies should react in this same moralising do or die manner as the committed SJW shows just how little relevance there is to be found in liberal arts Hicksville USA.
Yeah - definitely clueless, but he lives in his own little isolated world, and has very little experience with what we like to call the real world. It includes such things as liability, which hopefully he will receive some instruction in as soon as Shermer's lawyers finish their work. I guess that Ken from Popehat fellow is the go-to guy for social justice justifications? I haven't gone there and read what he wrote, but seeing him promoted as often as he is by the SJWs makes me suspicious of his advice (again, I haven't read his stuff, so I have no factual data on it, just my feeling).

Since we are such a litigious society, companies like SA have to take precautions, and while PZ may claim that he is unconcerned with lawsuits (since he is on the side of everything Right and Holy), his insistence that everyone else act that way (and respond in the appropriate SJW manner) is just fucked up. Lost my train of thought on where I was going with that. Maybe it'll come back later.

I tried reading one of his articles about "what to do if someone threatens to sue you for defamation" or something. It was just awful to read but the advice seemed accurate (on a very vague reading). http://www.popehat.com/2013/09/26/so-yo ... tion-suit/

Just the website is really awful to look at, but I don't have any grounds to say he's incompetent.

I think he's a "go to guy" because he does a lot of free speech stuff, and the SJW's (like Blaghag) were getting defamation based threats, so it was natural for the connection to be made. YMMV.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Linus wrote:Clockwork Orange isn't porn.
Under many local interpretations, its graphic display of rape would make it pornographic. I believe it received an "X" rating when released in the US.

The new law being proposed in the UK could well be extended to cover works such as Clockwork Orange.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Huehuehue wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

I tried reading one of his articles about "what to do if someone threatens to sue you for defamation" or something. It was just awful to read but the advice seemed accurate (on a very vague reading). http://www.popehat.com/2013/09/26/so-yo ... tion-suit/

Just the website is really awful to look at, but I don't have any grounds to say he's incompetent.

I think he's a "go to guy" because he does a lot of free speech stuff, and the SJW's (like Blaghag) were getting defamation based threats, so it was natural for the connection to be made. YMMV.
Could be - thanks for the opinion. I remember something of the discussion here about that, especially certain parts about claims and evidence (IIRC).

In other news, PZ releases another stinker - apparently some reporter (or journalist) was blocked by the Block Bot and took offense. PZ is quick to deny any responsibility for it (which is somewhat fair - he didn't start it, but sure supports it through his actions if not words). I did find this bit hilarious:
These Ego Warriors are desperately trying to connect the dots. They don’t like being on the block_bot, and they have this vague unease about not fitting in with the community on Atheism+ — so they must be the same thing! Throw them into the pot!
Um, the Block Bot was started by the colon to protect the precious flowers of A+. Denying that they are the same is a bit...lame?

There's a bit more - the usual protestations about FTB, but I find this part really, really ironic:
So please, stop trying to fit a complex set of diverse voices into your pathetic, simplistic narrative. And if you find something we say bruises your fragile ego, just stop reading us. We won’t mind. Actually, we’d prefer it if you freaking narcissists would take a hike and leave us alone.
Where have we heard that before? :think:

Pre-post ETA: I find the title very funny. If I mentioned PZ Myers to, well, everybody else I know in meatspace, the reaction would be exactly the same. Small fish, PZ, small fish.

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

welch wrote: Oh I know, and it's all over. I took a look at using VMware's command line stuff on a non-linux unix. They hardcode in so many linux assumptions that you'd almost have to rewrite the entire fucking thing.
I don't know about you but it really makes me want to hurt people. :evil: (Not that I would of course.)
I fail to come up with a good analogy at the moment (fail be me).
One I remember is getting OpenCBM to compile and run on NetBSD. F-f-f-f-f. It wasn't really difficult per say but time consuming and frustrating because it didn't HAVE TO be like this!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Popehat seemed to be a reasonable guy. As with all lawyers, just because he's helping PZ doesn't mean he agrees with him. If I could bet on it, I would bet that 'ol Popehat thinks that PZ screwed the pooch on this, but will help him salvage what he can from the debacle.

I am wondering why it's taking so long for Shermer to file suit. I don't have a lot of knowledge of defamation laws, but I would think in this instance it would be wise to strike while the iron is hot.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Badger3k wrote:

Yep. He got confused as well when he mistakenly received a briefing note DJG wrote for his Board re the TAM ticketing price 'scandal'. PZ immediately released the email despite DJ requesting it remain under professional privilage and then deconstructed it as if it had been an ethics based reply to PZ and his horde.

PZ simply didn't get or care that DJ had a professional responsibility to provide his board, with a warning and talking points - if the topic was brought up.

Same sort of thing here, SA didn't have the luxury to sit thumb in bum over the holiday break and engage 'later on'.

Post by Guest »

Huehuehue wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Popehat

First, popehat is a group blog, though for all intents, Popehat is Ken White.

I find he's a mixed bag.

He's a lawyer, definitely well-versed on the issues, smart, willing to acknowledge the other side has legitimate complaints (or in the case of a legal argument makes a good argument.)

I often agree with him, often don't, am often educated by what he writes, and often laugh reading him because he has a pretty good sense of humor, does his research well, and can insult people with the best of them.

He seems to firmly believe that "speech has consequences" and that that is a good thing, meaning, and I think I have this right, it's okay for Internet lynch mobs to demand firings of people that have tweeted obnoxious statements.

That's where I disagree with him the most, I think most Internet shaming campaigns are disproportionate at the very least, and I dislike the speech policing and silencing aspects of it. And I also believe that for ugly speech, the answer is more speech, not firings.

I am pretty sure there are pitters that disagree with me on that and are more tuned into what Popehat believes.

There's a small community of online free speech lawyers of varying fame: Turley, Volokh, Popehat, Randazza. They have very different backgrounds. Sometimes they are all on the same side of a case. Sometimes they are on different sides. Sometimes they are representing different sides of the case. It's interesting to follow them.

I prefer Turley and Volokh, as a layman, I think they provide more explanation of what the law is and why. Of course, they are both professors.

Of some note, I gather Ken White is religious.

Git

Post by Git »

Gumby wrote:
justinvacula wrote:It's just too bad we never got Ron Lindsay distributing ice cubes :p

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... tion/P200/
I've made progress on that since the last time you asked.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... d2d295.jpg

In a few more months it should be done. Really.
http://www.dvdinfo.be/images/reviews/1004-2.jpg

So now we know who the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies (by Von Clomp) really is.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Slacktivist?

Screw you - I'M OUT THERE BABY!
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EPNPGHZZ ... r_rdp_perm

Loftus would be so proud of my 'brush war' campaign.

:snooty:

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

welch wrote: oh bless your heart, you think that because I think RMS and his little fundies are full of shit that I have no use for open software. Could you be any more precious? Or wrong? There are a number of advantages to that developmental methodology, and just as many disadvantages, which is why things like Open/LibreOffice have such shitty UI. On the server side, it's awesome. On the human side, it blows fucking chunks.
I think you need to pick better examples. LibreOffice was forked from OpenOffice in 2010. Most of its "shitty UI" was written by StarDivision/Oracle.

welch wrote:http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

"A Stark Moral Choice"
The section in question discusses a personal choice for his career somewhere around the KT boundary. It does not back your claim that RMS argues that free software confers moral superiority (to whom anyway?).
welch wrote:also, again, for the love of christ, why must FSF people assume that if you don't love the FSF, the ONLY possible reason is because you don't know anything about it.
I am not an FSF person. I linked to the FSF because you were confusing their definition of "free software" and your own and were asserting that their license is in conflict with their own ideals. If you insist that you actually knew that and were deliberately spinning this to make them look like hypocrites then please don't do that again in the future.

Git

Post by Git »

welch wrote:So something that I keep seeing, not just here, but really, all over.

Just because someone isn't singing the Free Software Song, that doesn't mean they don't know about free software. Assuming they have no idea about it, or that they are using it right now is, when you think about it, insulting as fuck. Because when you say shit like that, you're telling the other person "clearly you're too stupid to know you're using free software RIGHT NOW."

Well no, asshole, that's not the case. It is entirely possible to recognize the HUGE benefits and contributions of Free software and still think that RMS and his legions are dipshits who hurt their cause as much as help it.

You may want to not assume the only reason for criticism is stupidity or ignorance. Just sayin'.
As someone who has a degree in, and spent 15 years as a commercial software programmer, I find myself violently agreeing with everything Welch has said on this subject. He is speaking sense, at least on this one. Listen to him.

Additionally, I think there's a reason ESR > RMS when it comes to Industry Adoption of Open-Source. RMS is a puritanical ideologue, even if he was perhaps needed to kick it all off. ESR on the other hand, knew and was able to massage the benefits of adopting open-source in industry's own terms. He didn't let perfect be the enemy of good in other words, something RMS never got Hence why RMS's FSF is still nowadays, 20 years later, a small irrelevant cult still pissing about trying to write their own kernel (HURD), and Open-Source (influenced by ESR's Cathedral and the Bazaar) is a multi-billion dollar industry.

ESR, whilst a bit unhinged even for me in many ways, also named the Kafkatrap.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Linus wrote:Why is it every time the slymepit learns of an alleged sexual assault or harassment you seem to focus almost 100% of your criticism on the victim?
Umm, maybe because the only alleged assault stories that get brought up at the Slymepit are the bullshit ones?

This Justine's story just doesn't add up, and her buddies tell it in a different sequence of events that trash her claim of non-willing participation. And, she excuses herself for getting hammered because po' lil' vegan only had one stalk of broccoli all night to absorb the 15 shots of tequila she subsequently imbibed of her own free will? Give me a break!

As Scented Nectar points out, Justine's own online admissions clearly mark her as a whack-job. Socially-adjusted, non-mentally ill adults who behave like adults do not find themselves in situations like this.

Affording empathy and encouragement to train wrecks like Justine* is an insult to people who, through no fault of their own, actually became victims of assault or abuse.

* Is that her real name, or just an homage to de Sade?

Southern

Post by Southern »

yomomma wrote:This is so wrong, but OTOH, I guess if you actually know that you are, let's say, 90% genetically predisposed to having a child who will have a disability which will make h/er suffer, that it seems inhumane to knowingly reproduce. Ethically, I'd say it's wrong to reproduce if you know you will likely have a child with a poor quality of life, but I also don't want the government to intervene and mandate it. That's kind of a trick question.

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."
And the Jews. Don't forget the Jews.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Southern wrote:
yomomma wrote:This is so wrong, but OTOH, I guess if you actually know that you are, let's say, 90% genetically predisposed to having a child who will have a disability which will make h/er suffer, that it seems inhumane to knowingly reproduce. Ethically, I'd say it's wrong to reproduce if you know you will likely have a child with a poor quality of life, but I also don't want the government to intervene and mandate it. That's kind of a trick question.

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."
And the Jews. Don't forget the Jews.
I think you'll find "serious inheritable disabilities" covers that.

;)

CaptainFluffyBunny

" had to use an old, small capacity card in my camera today, and much to my surprise, I found 8 photos on it. Photos of Chas and Alfie from when we first brought them home in October of 2010. I’ll be digging them up this Spring to collect their skulls."
http://ratifiedtwentyfive.wordpress.com/page/3/
I forgot who posted the link to Caine's site, but I went there, and now I hate you. :shock: I don't know which was worse, the writing or the photos. No trigger warning, not that any would have sufficed. I am shaking with rage tears. :cry:

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

welch wrote:To quote Jordan Hubbard, one of the folks who founded FreeBSD:
The GPL is not something we really considered to be a license so much as a political manifesto, and speaking purely for myself, I prefer to keep my license agreements and my politics separate. I feel that code which isn't being used in a situation where it COULD be used is code which isn't achieving its full potential and the GPL scares a lot of potential users away, which is simply counter-productive in my opinion. I don't care whether or not the users give their changes back to me, that's just an added bonus if it happens and nothing I'd want to try and enforce at the point of a gun.
Which part of the GPL requires sending changes back to the author?
I have since ca. 2005 not seen any chip vendor that wasn't offering a Linux implementation for their SoCs. I have never seen a *BSD port being offered no matter how permissive the license. These are some of the most restrictive and secretive people around and they manage to handle Linux' GPLv2.
welch wrote:RMS views this as a moral issue and treats people the way you'd expect. If you don't agree with him, you're a bad person. Software and companies that don't conform to his view of the world are *morally* bad.
Well here is RMS criticizing some random company: http://stallman.org/apple.html
You will notice that he has specific claims about specific business practices of that company. Your assertion that he smears everyone just for not offering free software is a caricature of the very detailed criticisms that he actually offers.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Guest wrote:
I prefer Turley and Volokh, as a layman, I think they provide more explanation of what the law is and why. Of course, they are both professors.

Are you talking Volokh of "The Volokh Conspiracy"? I've read his blog from time to time and do enjoy it. He's pretty right of center though. Surprised anyone on the Pit would follow him.

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

Git wrote:As someone who has a degree in, and spent 15 years as a commercial software programmer,
I don't even disagree with welch on that one but I can't help but highlight your argument from authority. Now lets get to comparing who has the biggest one.

Post by Guest »

yomomma wrote:
Guest wrote:

Are you talking Volokh of "The Volokh Conspiracy"? I've read his blog from time to time and do enjoy it. He's pretty right of center though. Surprised anyone on the Pit would follow him.
If it matters, I would say he's more libertarian than conservative.
He is a staunch 1st Amendment advocate and explains the history and legal theories at his blog.
In the comments are plenty of people, often hundreds, of knowledgeable lawyers, engineers, doctors, physicists, other professors, etc., many of whom are very well read themselves and often disagree with him
He is a former software engineer who managed to escape
He is a Jew who got out of the Soviet Union
He is a non-practicing Jew but very much a cultural Jew
He is roughly my age, and the older we get, the closer to my age he becomes
He is almost certainly a genius
His blog network doesn't bully people but are a very significant group and often quoted these days by the Supreme Court and other coruts
His blog network much as I dislike this, doesn't play at being activists, instead they form unique and apparently legally significant challenges to laws and legislation they do not like (including specifically, the ACA)
Several of his bloggers, like Orin Kerr, are experts and widely cited in their areas (4th Amendment) and even though I disagree with Kerr on US v. Jones and other cases I never fail to learn something, even grudgingly, by reading those bastards
There are actually quite a few Jews of varying degrees at his blog which helps me keep informed on issues surrounding popular Jewish culture, popular culture and American Judaism, Israel, and other foreign policy issues, even if I disagree with the various opinions being expressed.
He is a Bruin.
And I'm not quite a member of the pit, mainly being an almost mra, agnostic cultural Jew and a guest.

I find reading that blog much more interesting and valuable than dozens, hundreds, thousands, of the me-too, retweeting type of jump on the bandwagon with nothing original to say idiot blogs written by people supposedly more in line with my own personal politics.

I was at Mano Singham's blog while they were all very upset with what was happening to Obamacare (so was I), and they were proudly respewing the "official line" on what the Republicans and Supreme Court was doing, and I pointed out that Randy Barnett at the VC said this and that, and that's been backed by the court and verified by this paper and that, and the response was mainly, who volokh.com, who is Randy Barnett, and it was just yet another pathetic attack by people who themselves claim to be these experts on some political subject but turn out to know nothing about it, especially not knowing the name of the lawyer that came up with the principal argument against it. And A+ forbid they ever read with any sort of intellectual integrity the people they are told to hate.

Anyway, yes I read it, though not religiously. For me, it is an invaluable part of being an informed citizen.

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:

"Justin learns that batman didn't have a pink cape."
WHAT? Excuuuuse me, Mr. Welch, but:
Pink-Batman.jpg
(54.03 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Not only a pink cape, sir. Not only a pink cape.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Steersman wrote:
It's from Spinal Tap. They were going to really shock the crowds with their huge stonehenge set piece. A scaling error produced a rather expensive but entirely underwheliming midget version.
Thanks for explaining it to Steers :lol:

Steers, for your edification, here's the relevant clip from This is Spinal Tap:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Thanks PA. Gumby too for the elaboration.

Now both of you, get off of my lawn! ;-)

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

ummm I had a get off my lawn moment...when the kid at the video store (yeah video store) never heard of Spinal Tap.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Guest wrote:
yomomma wrote:
Guest wrote:

If it matters, I would say he's more libertarian than conservative.
He is a staunch 1st Amendment advocate and explains the history and legal theories at his blog.
In the comments are plenty of people, often hundreds, of knowledgeable lawyers, engineers, doctors, physicists, other professors, etc., many of whom are very well read themselves and often disagree with him
He is a former software engineer who managed to escape
He is a Jew who got out of the Soviet Union
He is a non-practicing Jew but very much a cultural Jew
He is roughly my age, and the older we get, the closer to my age he becomes
He is almost certainly a genius
His blog network doesn't bully people but are a very significant group and often quoted these days by the Supreme Court and other coruts
His blog network much as I dislike this, doesn't play at being activists, instead they form unique and apparently legally significant challenges to laws and legislation they do not like (including specifically, the ACA)
Several of his bloggers, like Orin Kerr, are experts and widely cited in their areas (4th Amendment) and even though I disagree with Kerr on US v. Jones and other cases I never fail to learn something, even grudgingly, by reading those bastards
There are actually quite a few Jews of varying degrees at his blog which helps me keep informed on issues surrounding popular Jewish culture, popular culture and American Judaism, Israel, and other foreign policy issues, even if I disagree with the various opinions being expressed.
He is a Bruin.
And I'm not quite a member of the pit, mainly being an almost mra, agnostic cultural Jew and a guest.

I find reading that blog much more interesting and valuable than dozens, hundreds, thousands, of the me-too, retweeting type of jump on the bandwagon with nothing original to say idiot blogs written by people supposedly more in line with my own personal politics.

I was at Mano Singham's blog while they were all very upset with what was happening to Obamacare (so was I), and they were proudly respewing the "official line" on what the Republicans and Supreme Court was doing, and I pointed out that Randy Barnett at the VC said this and that, and that's been backed by the court and verified by this paper and that, and the response was mainly, who volokh.com, who is Randy Barnett, and it was just yet another pathetic attack by people who themselves claim to be these experts on some political subject but turn out to know nothing about it, especially not knowing the name of the lawyer that came up with the principal argument against it. And A+ forbid they ever read with any sort of intellectual integrity the people they are told to hate.

Anyway, yes I read it, though not religiously. For me, it is an invaluable part of being an informed citizen.
Huh. Interesting.

Some of that I knew, most of it I didn't. I'll have to start reading it again.

Yeah, most readers and writers at the FtB think that anybody Libertarian leaning is pretty much a rapey, baby hating puppy killer. I believe most of them (the A+ers) think that the constitution is antiquated and slightly silly. The A+ers are also so tribal that they refuse to consider any position outside their very narrow scope of the world.

Post by Guest »

An interesting and quite witty essay written by Eugene Volokh's brother Alex that I find relevant to Internet Shaming Campaigns as well as a response to Feminists that frequently state that it is okay to ignore false accusations of rape in order to make sure all rape accusations are tried in court and have even stated that being falsely accused of rape is no big deal and quite possibly a good learning experience.

http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/guilty.htm

http://i.imgur.com/7X8phnh.jpg

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

A bit late...but my results:

http://i.imgur.com/Agx4lGH.jpg

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:An interesting and quite witty essay written by Eugene Volokh's brother Alex that I find relevant to Internet Shaming Campaigns as well as a response to Feminists that frequently state that it is okay to ignore false accusations of rape in order to make sure all rape accusations are tried in court and have even stated that being falsely accused of rape is no big deal and quite possibly a good learning experience.

http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/guilty.htm

To make it clear, the image below is just an excerpt if you want to read the whole thing you need to click on the link.

http://i.imgur.com/7X8phnh.jpg

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I am wondering why it's taking so long for Shermer to file suit. I don't have a lot of knowledge of defamation laws, but I would think in this instance it would be wise to strike while the iron is hot.
What makes you think he hasn't?

Any case will be tried in a court of law. Not in the press. Not in blogs or in discussion groups. It is pretty likely that the first piece of advice both Shermer's and Myer's lawyers gave them was to keep there mouths shut. So, it is possible that the lawsuit is already filed. And, if I was a betting man, I would guess it would be filed in Los Angeles County. Shermer and his lawyer live there, and when Popehat was looking for a lawyer for a consultation for PZ, he requested someone in LA County.

If you have $4.75US to spare, you can do a party search here:

https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/onlineS ... ivilIndex/

For additional fees, you can download any case documents.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Went to see Gravity 3D this afternoon. It's definitely worth seeing, even if it reeeaaally stretches plausibilty. The space cinematography is absolutely stunning, and Sandra Bullock does a pretty damn good job (although her dialogue gets a bit lame in a couple of places). If you live near an IMAX 3D theater (unfortunately I don't), I think it would definitely be worth the extra few bucks per ticket.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... f635f2.jpg

Parody Accountant

For the most part, nobody got close to the authoritarian end of the spectrum. I work in an atmosphere where one could expect authoritarian responses, and the handful I got to do the test were all similar (lower left quadrant).

My wife isn't political and doesn't pay attention to news/politics 99% of the time. She asked me the meanings of various questions ('what is protectionism?' etc.) but I carefully explained with neutrality. Her score was right about the same as mine.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... _garrison/

Someone posted this already. The comments are solid gold.
Peezus: #12, Tamar Fleishman: Oh, she’s an Ivy League educated theologian? Is that supposed to impress me? You should know that those credentials kind of have a negative effect. It tells me she’s an ignoramus with a fancy certificate hanging on her wall.
Unlike a professor who rejects all aspects of evopsych?
Peezus: Al Dente:
Garrison is upset because several months ago she was blocked for several days by the blockbot , a piece of software that FtB has nothing to do with.
Exactly. So she’s whining about #FtBullies.

Next thing you know, she’ll be invading Iraq.
Yeah, FTB has NOTHING to do with the block bot. That's why Oolon and his secret council don't even post on FTB. And the BB certainly isn't supported by FTB in any way! :roll:
Oh, and Tamar Fleishman? Fuck off. You stink of slyme.
Tamar Fleishman was a poster who got pissed off when the Pharyngulies started denigrating ivy league theology degrees. Did they forget about Matt and Bart Ehrmann?
Caine Fleur du Merde: Why should anyone be impressed? Plenty of people here hold degrees, same goes for a lot of people who don’t hang here. Degrees don’t speak to a person’s ability, or ethics, or much of anything outside of what particularly interested them. What a person does with said degrees, that’s a different matter.

Pardon my saying, but it’s a sign of a mind with a bent toward authoritarianism who automatically holds up degrees as worthy in regard to a type of worship – “be thou impressed!” Someone who has spent more time learning how to think critically is more likely to contribute to society overall, and in a constructive way. You don’t need degrees for that, just a willingness to learn and to think. Of course, learning to think critically also requires you turn that critical eye upon yourself, and you need to learn that yes, you’ll fuck up, so apologize for mistakes, learn, and move on.

I’m afraid Ms. Garrison is markedly lacking in the above.
Sorry Caine, we just haven't come up with a BA in Murderology yet. Good thing we have Caine here to tell us about thinking critically and avoiding authoritarianism.
[youtube]0GIGKYVeNCc[/youtube]

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Setar has a "problem" with someone calling the taliban "thugs"

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 517#p95297

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

DrVanNostrand

October 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm (UTC -5)

I agree with Garrison about one thing: that whole exchange was an exercise in futility (though not for the reason she thinks it was). She also used a tactic that’s really one of my pet peeves. Ending half of her argumentative tweets with some version of “please stop tweeting back at at me” is really sleazy and dishonest. She’s basically insisting that you let her have the last word, and if you don’t you’re harassing her. It’s really dishonest.
LOL

Somebody should dig up that twitter convo where someone from skepchick did this exact thing. I think it was SurlyAmy in response to David Silverman.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

yomomma wrote:
Guest wrote:

I'm left of center and read there all the time. There are times the political ideology and ignorance of how things work outside his realm of experience and economic fairy-tales and I'll rip him. But I find it's better to have one's mind challenged by people with different underlying views than cultivate the echo chamber and remain intellectually myopic because I might read something that 'offends' me.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

yomomma wrote:
Guest wrote:

I've checked in on Turley from time to time, and regularly read Jacobson of Legal Insurrection, who's solidly conservative. They offer sound legal analysis, regardless of their spin. I also read Breitbart a few times a week. I get info from these sources not avail elsewhere, while I know how to filter out the prayer-in-schools, global warming denialist BS.

But Scotusblog is the best source for news & analysis on US Supreme Court cases.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:Setar has a "problem" with someone calling the taliban "thugs"

:doh:

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Tribble wrote:
I'm left of center and read there all the time. There are times the political ideology and ignorance of how things work outside his realm of experience and economic fairy-tales and I'll rip him. But I find it's better to have one's mind challenged by people with different underlying views than cultivate the echo chamber and remain intellectually myopic because I might read something that 'offends' me.
Totes.

As someone who leans right of center Libertarian, I regularly read several lefty sites including Mother Jones, Andrew Sullivan, DailyKos, the New Yorker and a few others. I especially find more left wing journalism to be way more in line with my views on skepticism and science. I really can't think of any lefty economics blogs though that I can read without rolling my eyes out of their sockets, but I was recently on keynesian economics research kick, trying to find out more about it. While I went into with negative preconceived notions, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that its economic philosophy was rooted in some real logic. While I don't agree with it and find some elements particularly problematic, I can definitely see why some economists would think it would work. I mean, I suppose it can, but parts of it seem rather idealistic.

But yeah, I agree with you. I personally love skepticism because it constantly challenges me to be objective even in situations where I know I'm biased. While I can't always shed my bias, skepticism helps me to at least try.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Bourne Skeptic wrote:Setar has a "problem" with someone calling the taliban "thugs"

Dafuq. They are more concerned about getting a word into carefully parsed SoJuSpeak correctness than about a girl getting shot in the head. Wouldn't want to malign those poor Taliban guys by calling them thugs, because another SJW has cobbled together a factually incorrect paper suggesting that the Thugs of Thugee fame were an oppressed people.

Maybe they should leave their keyboards and go preach the SoJuWa doctrine in Afganistan. I'm sure they'd have those fellas checking their firepower privilege in no time.

FlyingV

Post by FlyingV »

yomomma wrote:I personally love skepticism because it constantly challenges me to be objective even in situations where I know I'm biased. While I can't always shed my bias, skepticism helps me to at least try.
Agreed completely. It's made me more self-aware, and I argue politics far less often than I used to since I see just how much bias plays a role in it. It's also made it easier for me to admit when I just don't know enough about a topic to comment on it. What kinds of regulations should be placed on financial institutions? F if I know! It's complicated, and I just haven't done the research to understand it. I'm waiting for a South Park episode to explain it to me.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Suggestion for Justin: have the Home Depot cut you some 1 by 3 strips to the length of that banner, and staple the long edges of the banner to them for rigidity.
Seriously, man, do that.
Victim-blaming!

I. Don't. Even.

I am figuratively shaking like a literal fig leaf right now-- you armchair arm-pologists would blame Justin for his arms getting tired from holding that sign. He is the victim. He needs our hugs, not our "solutions"! (Apologies for using the able-ist term "hugs" in reference to someone whose arms may be too tired to lift the hug spoons.)

More importantly, Justin:

You have to be more aware of The Shit.

It's all around you.

You can't just pretend you don't see The Shit that's all around you.

Because once you step into The Shit, Justin, then The Shit is all over your shoe.

And instead of being the damn fine activist you could be, Justin, The Shit will follow you where-ever you go.

http://i.imgur.com/WkVOMRk.jpg

Parody Accountant

bwahahahahahah service dog

Post by Guest »

yomomma wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Totes.

As someone who leans right of center Libertarian, I regularly read several lefty sites including Mother Jones, Andrew Sullivan, DailyKos, the New Yorker and a few others. I especially find more left wing journalism to be way more in line with my views on skepticism and science. I really can't think of any lefty economics blogs though that I can read without rolling my eyes out of their sockets, but I was recently on keynesian economics research kick, trying to find out more about it. While I went into with negative preconceived notions, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that its economic philosophy was rooted in some real logic. While I don't agree with it and find some elements particularly problematic, I can definitely see why some economists would think it would work. I mean, I suppose it can, but parts of it seem rather idealistic.

But yeah, I agree with you. I personally love skepticism because it constantly challenges me to be objective even in situations where I know I'm biased. While I can't always shed my bias, skepticism helps me to at least try.
You're so far to the right you think Andrew Sullivan is a lefty site!

(Has Sullivan changed? He is known for being a conservative.)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
yomomma wrote:
Guest wrote:

I've checked in on Turley from time to time, and regularly read Jacobson of Legal Insurrection, who's solidly conservative. They offer sound legal analysis, regardless of their spin. I also read Breitbart a few times a week. I get info from these sources not avail elsewhere, while I know how to filter out the prayer-in-schools, global warming denialist BS.

But Scotusblog is the best source for news & analysis on US Supreme Court cases.
Heard of a Turley, but not sure if he is a lawyer (this one is an IDiot), so I may or may not know of that one. Breitbart is a muckraker and sleazy to boot, so I don't bother with him or his antics, but I have heard of Volokh and when I saw things posted (by others) that he wrote, he is generally good. I forgot about Scotusblog - I used to have that on my feed, but lost it in a crash. I'll have to see if I can add it again (at least, it sounds like the one I had before).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Badger3k wrote:
Breitbart is a muckraker and sleazy to boot, so I don't bother with him or his antics
Get your tenses right!

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Badger3k wrote: Breitbart is a muckraker and sleazy to boot, so I don't bother with him or his antics,
Actually he's dead, though his sleazy website lives on.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Have I done something wrong?

Consider your answer ...... :violence-smack: ...... carefully

http://i.imgur.com/2PiUrim.jpg

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:Have I done something wrong?

Consider your answer ...... :violence-smack: ...... carefully

http://i.imgur.com/2PiUrim.jpg
Did you login from the George W Bush presidential library?