Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
acathode

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by acathode »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:1. But there is a gaming community as much as there is an atheist community, even though anyone can be a private atheist without ever coming into contact with another atheist. The 'community' may not include all gamers, sure, but it doesn't mean there aren't gamers out there talking to each other and consuming similar kinds of media.
Nah, today you simply can't bunch up gaming and gamers into one single community.
The diversity and the amount of gamers and games today is simply so big that if you're going to try to speak about a "gaming community", you're also going to have to start speaking of a "book reading community". What you have in gaming is a bunch of various communities, focused on various games or various genres, much the same way as you might say there's a "fantasy readers community" or a "Star Trek community", you have a "WoW community", a "LoL community" or a "indie community" in gaming.

You just can't compare to the A/S community either, the A/S community is a ant when you compare it to gaming (or anything tbh). Hell, just compare the youtube athiests to something like Yogscast, which is basically 2 guys playing minecraft, and their close to 6 million subscribers...

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

A lot of this comes back to an unfulfilled discussion on what constitutes sexism (or racism). The term "discrimination" does not inherently carry a negative meaning, it has a negative connotation through colloquial usage. An obvious example is the selection of partners. Not just by gender, but what about if your notion of physical attractiveness was denigrated as bigoted?

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Pagancat wrote: First you start off with open forums, then you engage people in open debates. Before you know it your running death camps and ethnically cleansing your neighbourhood. Oh yes its all fun and games with free speech until the pogroms start.
"Free speech,it leads to genocide." Hmm, that sound familiar.

Oh yeah:

[youtube]lJNtIk_uWzo[/youtube]

OK, so science leads to killing people and free speech leads to genocide, got it.

I guess that would mean the enlightenment take as a whole leads to what, the total annihilation of the universe?
:think:

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

deLurch wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:What do people here think about the overwhelmingly one-sided article on Anita Sarkeesian on Wikipedia? The consensus on the talk page suggests there are no credible notable sources out there that are critical of her. If that's true, it's got to be one of Wikipedia's fatal weaknesses. I've noticed the same trend on other biographical articles that are similarly whitewashed.
It is an imperfect system. If you think you have a better system, speak up.
Wikipedia is fine. And since according to wiki guidelines, blogs and random youtubers are not notable (except in special circumstances), then they are probably right that there is no notable criticism of her. Relevant info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources
Anyone can create a personal web page or publish their own book, and also claim to be an expert in a certain field. For that reason self-published media—whether books, newsletters, personal websites, open wikis, blogs, personal pages on social networking sites, Internet forum postings, or tweets—are largely not acceptable. This includes any website whose content is largely user-generated, including the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), CBDB.com, collaboratively created websites such as wikis, and so forth, with the exception of material on such sites that is labeled as originating from credentialed members of the sites' editorial staff, rather than users.

"Blogs" in this context refers to personal and group blogs. Some news outlets host interactive columns they call blogs, and these may be acceptable as sources so long as the writers are professional journalists or are professionals in the field on which they write and the blog is subject to the news outlet's full editorial control. Posts left by readers may never be used as sources; see WP:NEWSBLOG.

Self-published material may sometimes be acceptable when its author is an established expert whose work in the relevant field has been published by reliable third-party publications. Self-published information should never be used as a source about a living person, even if the author is a well-known professional researcher or writer; see WP:BLP#Reliable sources.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

dogen wrote:[youtube]J2h4vITidvo[/youtube]
What's the main point of that video? It got me extremely bored. I don't really care about "Mr Bagget" or some "handwriting seminars" or crap like that.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Badger3k wrote: From what I hear, they are working on a Mirror's Edge 2. I played the demo but never got the game because I sucked at the mechanics. Trying to parkour was more like QWOP for me.
She was reportedly hired by EA to work on Mirror's Edge 2. I wonder what will come of that... :think:

---

As for all of the arguments for or against Sarkeesian's ideas, something that I see getting trampled underfoot by most is the fact that this is [arguably?] ART that's being talked about. Now, maybe I missed the memo in all of my years spent going through art school [el-oh-el, appeal to authority], but when the fuck did it become the case that artists and/or creatives have to cater to anyone's fucking mores and/or tastes? But, of course, ignoring this point is exactly what people on her side of the argument would love for everyone to do. It's a lot easier to build a threat narrative about the "depiction of women in videogames", and get a moral panic rolling if everyone forgets about freedom of expression. Because if goddamn Piss Christ [not a misspelling of "Peezus Christ"] can be protected under freedom of expression, even here in Jesusland, then what chance do killjoy Feminist harpies and their whiteknights have of getting shit like this suppressed?:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 94fe60.png

Above is one of the latest items added to the list of blasphemies committed against the Church of the Holy Yoni by videogame developers. Now, you've got Feminist drama bloggers, who *pretend* to give two shits about the medium, demanding to know the "purpose" behind this character's ["Quiet", from MGSV] attire, as if there needs to be one! Quite honestly, I find it all pretty insulting, and it's also disappointing that most of the people trying to counter these harpies' arguments completely overlook this point [I've done it as well in the past, but I'm done]. To conclude, I'll leave you with the worlds of this fellow...
Instig8iveJournalism wrote:Art serves itself. The first step in assaulting an art form is to praise false or irrelevant merits. When teaching art, the lesson is art. So when people talk of "educational value" in art, they're implicitly denying the existence of an inherent value. Anita Sarkeesian and Hilary Clinton both make sure to tress that games are fun, can encourage teamwork, and can improve hand-eye coordination, not as a concession to the importance of videogames, but as an assault on their meaning. They could just as easily be describing a ball game. To them, art serves as a tool for tricking people into learning or believing in something. Hilary says that videogames are being misused to teach violence. Anita says videogames are being misused to teach misogyny.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@JackRayner:

A bikini combat suit is retarded. She's just presented as eye candy since there is no logical reason to create a bikini combat outfit with stockings. Stockings. Those things rip when you put them on. I guess she's only missing combat high heels. Also, the point is not banning the shitty portrayal of women but rather to criticize them and to force the game developers not to make ridiculous character design concepts.

acathode

Post by acathode »

JackRayner wrote: Now, maybe I missed the memo in all of my years spent going through art school [el-oh-el, appeal to authority], but when the fuck did it become the case that artists and/or creatives have to cater to anyone's fucking mores and/or tastes?
Around the same time as they started seeing all stories and art as prescriptive instead of descriptive. Just look at how much trouble many of them are having with things like Game of Thrones, they just seem unable to realize that just because the author crafted a story that describes a very patriarchal time and culture, it doesn't mean that the books or the author prescribes such a society.

Satan

Post by Satan »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Anita Sarkeesian makes some pretty convincing points?
The under-representation of women's agency in popular fiction, as a point independent of Sarky, is an issue, but I think anyone who finds Sarky convincing is far too easily convinced.

Sarky's videos are built on taking simple, single sentence propositions, that are self-evident to anyone familiar with media criticism and expanding them to multi-paragraph length through repetition alone. Instead of making reasoned arguments, Sarky beats her audience over the head with repetition until it gives in from fatigue. Her videos are not works of sophisticated intellectual argumentation carefully tuned to persuade a critical audience, but rather are the video equivalent of expanding a simple sentence to fill an entire page without adding deeper content. Repetition is not argument.

Sarky's true skill is marketing. She's been very effective at marketing herself as a public intellectual but, in terms of substance, her works fall below the depth or quality that would justify the attention she gets.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Trophy wrote:@JackRayner:

A bikini combat suit is retarded. She's just presented as eye candy since there is no logical reason to create a bikini combat outfit with stockings. Stockings. Those things rip when you put them on. I guess she's only missing combat high heels.
Either you're trolling me, or my entire point flew way over your head. For fun, I'll leave you with something else whose "logic" you can question away at:

[youtube]msWbNfEOFlk[/youtube]
Also, the point is not banning the shitty portrayal of women but rather to criticize them and to force the game developers not to make ridiculous character design concepts.
Also, did you even think about what you were writing before you hit the submit button? You say "the point is not banning", and then you follow it by writing that it's to "to force game developers" to not design characters this way? Peezus Christ! :doh:

Again, I'll add that it isn't the job or obligation of artists and/or creatives to cater to your mores and/or tastes. "Shitty" and "ridiculous" are subjective. If you don't like it, you're free to look away, not buy it, and even to bitch and whine about it. Trying to ban it [or "force others to not make it", if you prefer] based on your shitty and ridiculous [LOL] views is control-freak bullshit, however. Get that checked out... :hand:

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

An Addendum on the "Panty & Stocking" video I posted above. Panty & Stocking is a cartoon about two angels that got kicked out of heaven for bad behavior, and they're stuck on Earth until they can kill enough "ghosts" to buy their way back into heaven.

What I actually wanted to call attention to, in that short clip, was the fact that the two protagonists fight by removing their panties and stockings [respectively] and using them as weapons. However, I realized that the rest of the clip contains a lot of other stuff that your average moralizer would object to. There's a monster made out of shit, and enough cursing to get it banned from most television networks even if it was censored as it is in this clip.

Now, any control-freak, moralizing asshole can sit here and scream "WHY? WHAT'S THE LOGIC BEHIND MAKING CHARACTERS THAT USE UNDERGARMENTS TO FIGHT, AND GIANT MONSTERS MADE OUT OF SHIT, AND FOR ALL OF THIS PROFANITY?!", but in the end, "Just because" is an adequate answer. There's such a thing as freedom of expression, and if you or anyone else doesn't like this sort of shit, you can just fuck off and not patronize it. :P

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I love video games, but I never thought of myself as part of a community. If I wanted to be part of a community, I wouldn't be playing video games.

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

>ASarkeesianGirlGamer was killed by BBgun
{Global}ASarkeesianGirlGamer BBgun is Tbagging me he is a sexist pig and this is why there are no girls on your server. Admin Ban him now.
{Global}BBgun Sorry AS come get your stuff.
>ASarkeesianGirlGamer was killed by BBgun
{Global}BBgun Stupid cunt
{Global}ASarkeesianGirlGamer Admin did you see that. He is using sexist language. Ban him. He is Tbagging me again. Ban him now.
{Global}Pwner Fuck off AS. BB is admin and this is HER server.
>ASarkeesianGirlGamer has left the game

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I'm not sure how we missed this one.

It's a post by Taslima from about a week ago.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... h-monkeys/
My day with monkeys

by Taslima Nasreen

I bought dozens of bananas and went to Dalhousie road in Delhi. Lots of beautiful, elegant, intelligent monkeys ran towards me to get bananas. I tried to distribute bananas among them in equal shares. But it was impossible to make them stand in a queue. I did not want alpha males to snatch bananas from oppressed monkeys.
They love bananas. Wish I could feed them everyday. But the traffic police around the road was not happy with me, they asked me to stop feeding monkeys. I didn’t know that it was illegal to feed monkeys on the road. Why should love and care be illegal? They don’t find food in the jungle, so they came to the city. Why shouldn’t we feed them when there is almost no traffic and they are very hungry!
He is eating one, protecting another.
He got 3 bananas. But his hands are not free. So he is peeling the banana with his mouth. They are smarter than me.

As usual when Taslima writes about anything connected to science, it comes across like a POE. It's kind of horrifying to think that she qualified as a physician when her understanding of basic science is so witless.
She shows pictures of monkeys in the middle of the street begging bananas from her, and seems clueless as to why it's a bad idea to encourage (oppressed?) monkeys to seek their food in this way.

Bad Taslima!
Don't encourage the monkeys!
We all know where that will lead...

http://i.imgur.com/tn5xNmD.jpg

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tribble wrote: ...Like I said way earlier in this thread. The chances of a white woman being raped once in her life is 7%. The chances of being raped twice is less than one-half percent. Yet many of these women tell us they've been raped multiple times (four or more separate instances). So many times that it stretches the boundaries of credulity.

And yet I'm "bad misogynist" for pointing out the story is so unlikely that it's not believable.
The confusion, I think, comes from the fact you're not using the same definition of rape as they are.
You're using the legal definition, they're using the SJW / RadFem definition under which about 90% of them are probably being raped as I type this.

This is why they never want to go to the police (because they won't be believed, because Patriarchy TM). In cases involving what they are talking about most of the time, the authorities would indeed tell them to pound sand and stop wasting their time.
The baboons sincerely regard this as an outrageous injustice.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

acathode wrote:
JackRayner wrote: Now, maybe I missed the memo in all of my years spent going through art school [el-oh-el, appeal to authority], but when the fuck did it become the case that artists and/or creatives have to cater to anyone's fucking mores and/or tastes?
Around the same time as they started seeing all stories and art as prescriptive instead of descriptive. Just look at how much trouble many of them are having with things like Game of Thrones, they just seem unable to realize that just because the author crafted a story that describes a very patriarchal time and culture, it doesn't mean that the books or the author prescribes such a society.
Yeah. I remember that a lot of people gave [are still giving?] Quentin Tarantino a lot of shit over the stuff depicted in Django Unleashed. The ultra-gory violence [which is basically in most of his films], and the use of "nigger" throughout seemed to top the list of grievances, from what I can remember. Personally, I'm glad Tarantino has the balls to tell every one of these people to go fuck themselves. Call me biased, but I truly respect an individual that refuses to compromise on their vision.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

BillHamp wrote: Precisely. If there is a problem with how private companies make games sold to private individuals, the answer is not a kickstarter campaign to complain about it. The answer is to produce your own video game that will be a marketing success and change the industry. Anything else is just being a whiny asshole with no backbone and no talent.
QFT. :clap:

Satan

Post by Satan »

JackRayner wrote: As for all of the arguments for or against Sarkeesian's ideas, something that I see getting trampled underfoot by most is the fact that this is [arguably?] ART that's being talked about.
I'm not seeing it.

YMMV, but art starts to fade away when budgets reach six figures and dies entirely when shareholder returns are involved.

Triple-A gaming titles are commercial investments run for the benefit of executives and investors, full stop, and don't deserve the level of respect for artistic integrity that's due to projects where those people who contribute to the artistic vision see most of the revenue.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

JackRayner wrote:Also, did you even think about what you were writing before you hit the submit button? You say "the point is not banning", and then you follow it by writing that it's to "to force game developers" to not design characters this way? Peezus Christ! :doh:
Oh no, you're right. Criticism = censorship. How stupid of me. You are absomootely correct.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

A bikini combat suit is retarded. She's just presented as eye candy since there is no logical reason to create a bikini combat outfit with stockings. Stockings. Those things rip when you put them on. I guess she's only missing combat high heels. Also, the point is not banning the shitty portrayal of women but rather to criticize them and to force the game developers not to make ridiculous character design concepts.
....none of which is specific to women.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rambo&u ... kQXP8IHwCQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=arnold+ ... kwW2oICwBQ

http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/ut ... allery.jpg

And so on an so forth.

Characters are supposed to be larger than life, practicality is not necessary or even relevant. Cmon this isn't hard to understand.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Satan wrote:
JackRayner wrote: As for all of the arguments for or against Sarkeesian's ideas, something that I see getting trampled underfoot by most is the fact that this is [arguably?] ART that's being talked about.
I'm not seeing it.

YMMV, but art starts to fade away when budgets reach six figures and dies entirely when shareholder returns are involved.

Triple-A gaming titles are commercial investments run for the benefit of executives and investors, full stop, and don't deserve the level of respect for artistic integrity that's due to projects where those people who contribute to the artistic vision see most of the revenue.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119174/

Bullshit. Budget has nothing to do with it. The amount of executive meddling definitely does, but not all triple-A games are like that. Or perhaps you don't think Bioshock counts as art.

This is relevant to the discussion of whether or not game designers should be shamed into self-censorship:

[youtube]jyoOfRog1EM[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Satan wrote:
I'm not seeing it.

Like I said, it's arguable. [Defining "art" itself is already problematic enough. I remember a class in particular in which huge arguments over this would erupt on a regular basis.]

For me, I say many are definitely art, and some [like with the concept you're describing] are more like products that are the summation of a lot of artwork, but whose sum is not necessarily art. The game whose character I used as an example, Metal Gear Solid V, I will argue is definitely art. Like with great films, everyone working on the game [and all previous "Hideo Kojima Game"] is doing so to advance a vision that is not their own. Their contributions might tweak and even improve the final product, but the vision is the director's. For me to take Hideo Kojima's games out of the "art" category, I would need to do the same with many great films...
Trophy wrote:
JackRayner wrote:Also, did you even think about what you were writing before you hit the submit button? You say "the point is not banning", and then you follow it by writing that it's to "to force game developers" to not design characters this way? Peezus Christ! :doh:

Oh no, you're right. Criticism = censorship. How stupid of me. You are absomootely correct.

Ohhhhh! I'm SO sorry! I didn't know that your use of "to force" in "to force game developers [to not design characters this way]" was different from that used in the vernacular! My bad! :o

... :roll:

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

acathode wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Guest wrote:Question, do you guys have any real, unbiased sources for the whole "Wage Gap is a Myth" thing? I've been looking around at those sources, but it's starting to look like a lot of them are Conservative think-tanks. It sounds plausible to me, but it looks like they could also be bullshitting. Thanks.
My own belief is that "Wage gap is a myth" is itself bullshit. Starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male-femal ... er_pay_gap

Besides, any claims of "Wage gap is a myth" should also be able able to explain the outcomes of experiments such as this (tl;dr version: send CVs that are identical except in the name and measure the call back).
Well, if you accept Swedish statistics:
http://www.mi.se/files/PDF-er/ar_foreig ... s_2012.pdf

The weighted difference, when occupation, job sector, level of education, number of working hours, etc, is accounted for, is 6.1%. So yeah, there's still a gap (here in Sweden at least) that we should try to address, but it's also hardly as big as it's made out to be by the feminists, who prefer to use the unweighted numbers, which are more than the double.
Interesting link. I'm more familiar with Denmark but assuming that Sweden is very close to Denmark in its social and governmental policies, I can see how gender gap could be much smaller in Scandinavian countries. For one, they have high taxes on their high brackets which in general reduces any income gap (compare Sweden & Denmark vs US: on various income inequalities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... e_equality ) and second for a lot of gonvermental jobs, there is no or very little negotiation step which means your job title pretty much determines how much money you are going to get and in many universities, the promotions or raises are also fixed and only depend on the time rather than subjective evaluations.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Fter reading the various comments on Jen's post in which she announced she was glad, "not be officially involved with the atheist movement anymore", I had a look at her post. It is mostly a collection of any-Dawkins whines from her SJW buddies, plus some more sniping at DJ Grothe and some US based atheist political party.
Nothing to see here.

What caught my eye, however, was her previous post in which she talked about her mother.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... /#comments

If I'm recalling correctly, her mother had previously been treated for (breast?) cancer and had unfortunately recently been diagnosed with another malignancy - ovarian cancer.
There are lots of tumor types that these days respond well to treatment - breast, prostate, colon, stomach cancers etc.
Unfortunately ovarian cancer is not one of them.
It is usually discovered at a late stage through secondary effects on other organs (it tends to grow slowly in situ and gradually fills up the spaces aroung the kidneys and bladder, and it's the effect on these organs that alerts the physician.)
It is usually treated with a combination of surgery (to reduce the mass) and chemotherapy (to try to kill the cancer cells) but these have, unfortunately, a low rate of long term success.
It isn't the kind of rapid killer like glioblastoma or pancreatic cancer can be, but even with good treatment you are unlikely to last five years.
For her mom's sake I hope she is one of the minority that have long term remission.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

DownThunder wrote:

And so on an so forth.

Characters are supposed to be larger than life, practicality is not necessary or even relevant. Cmon this isn't hard to understand.
Yes, I'm not denying that. Both men and women can have sexy hot bodies which when presented can help sell a product. And it would be hyportical of most people if they deny that they enjoy looking at hot bodies. The point is that one can present the hot bodies in a stupid way (e.g., bikini combat suit) or in a tasteful/thoughtful way.

Morrigan is a mage so she doesn't need armor and her outfit can reflect that:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5749/morrigan2.jpg

Aveline on the other hand is a tank so her armor reflects that:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 3c4f1g.png

So yeah, I'm not opposing naked skin or using sexy men/women to sell products. It's just sometimes they make too obvious and stupid. This is really an easy point to get and acknowledge, so it'll be boring for me to comment on again.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

I want to make a response in specific to the stupidity behind "criticism isn't censorship" argument.

There's a difference between "criticism" and building a threat narrative by impugning bigotry, and the promotion of bigotry, onto something. Someone starting the discussion by impugning malice onto their target isn't looking for an open discussion, or a debate. They're looking to for the target to shut the fuck up or to be shut up.

Literally, less than 40 seconds into her original money begging video on Kickstarter, she says
Unfortunately, in addition to all of these benefits, many games tend to reinforce and amplify sexist and downright misogynist ideas about women.
[And ever since those words were broadcast over the internet, gamers who like these evil, bigotry amplifying games, and the evil developers that make them, have been getting browbeatings over this nonsense at every turn, while the moral crusaders have yet to lift a finger to, as that one guy said, "be the change [they] want to see in the World".]

If you think this is an honest argument, then have fun being a gullible fuck and jumping on moral panic bandwagons. I'll pass on that, thank you very much. :hand:

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

PZ has targeted SETI now. Of course rather than respectfully disagreeing he calls it a boondoggle.

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

Michael J wrote:PZ has targeted SETI now. Of course rather than respectfully disagreeing he calls it a boondoggle.

So making an actual scientific attempt to detect aliens is boondoggle. Wait isn't he giving a talk to a bunch of Chariots of the Gods loons. Sounds like a prep for his talk to the ancient aliens retards who have answered the aliens question. Why waist money on science when this bunch of conspiracy theorists already have the answers.
Astronomy envy, or laying the groundwork so his more intellegent followers don't mock his talk at a woo circlejerk.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@JackRayner:

"She says, "Unfortunately, in addition to all of these benefits, many games tend to reinforce and amplify sexist and downright misogynist ideas about women.", If you think this is an honest argument ..."

Okay, let's review:
1) She didn't say "evil developers". You made it up. In that sentence that you quoted, she has not assigned malice to anyone. Maybe she blieves "reinforcement of sexist and downright misogynists" are done subconsciously without the developers realizing it.
2) And what the hell is a "threat" narrative?
3) Now, Anita Sarkeesian could be fuckfaced fraud, I'm still undecided on that but it's not difficult for me to accept that she actually believes what she says so she could be "honest".
4) And finally, the quote that you pulled is too general and too meaningless to agree or disagree with. What's "many games"? 3? 4? 10? 15? Over how many years? What if a game is great and has deep female characters but some aspects of it could be criticized, does it count? Do marginal and stupid games such as Cluster's Revenge count? Without going deeper into the discussion it's difficult to issue a "Yay or nej" verdict. Although I've to say that while sometimes she makes good points, most of their arguments are too shallow and follow a laundry list format.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

dogen wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
dogen wrote: Not directly; but of course she's completely familiar with this genre. Take for instance this picture crowing about the success of her kickstarter campaign:
5d27050b633d3cd77535c4553ef9d4ee_main.jpg
Note the background for the image: it's from Mirror's Edge, which has a female protagonist.
From what I hear, they are working on a Mirror's Edge 2. I played the demo but never got the game because I sucked at the mechanics. Trying to parkour was more like QWOP for me.
Me too. The game looks *gorgeous*, but I find I rapidly get disoriented and end up face-planting. I'm usually pretty good at FPS games, but not this one...

Incidentally, does anyone find the third-person perspective in the GTA franchise very frustrating? Or am I just spatially challenged?
Sometime - usually with camera work, or when trying to aim. I am having that problem with AC:B right now - try to jump, and end up going off to the side and falling to my death, or targeting someone and killing the civilian next to him.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Fter reading the various comments on Jen's post in which she announced she was glad, "not be officially involved with the atheist movement anymore", I had a look at her post. It is mostly a collection of any-Dawkins whines from her SJW buddies, plus some more sniping at DJ Grothe and some US based atheist political party.
Nothing to see here.

What caught my eye, however, was her previous post in which she talked about her mother.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... /#comments

If I'm recalling correctly, her mother had previously been treated for (breast?) cancer and had unfortunately recently been diagnosed with another malignancy - ovarian cancer.
There are lots of tumor types that these days respond well to treatment - breast, prostate, colon, stomach cancers etc.
Unfortunately ovarian cancer is not one of them.
It is usually discovered at a late stage through secondary effects on other organs (it tends to grow slowly in situ and gradually fills up the spaces aroung the kidneys and bladder, and it's the effect on these organs that alerts the physician.)
It is usually treated with a combination of surgery (to reduce the mass) and chemotherapy (to try to kill the cancer cells) but these have, unfortunately, a low rate of long term success.
It isn't the kind of rapid killer like glioblastoma or pancreatic cancer can be, but even with good treatment you are unlikely to last five years.
For her mom's sake I hope she is one of the minority that have long term remission.
Good eye. Thanks for pointing that out here. I'll join you in hoping that everything goes as well as it possibly could. That's tragic.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

ccdimage wrote:
Michael J wrote:PZ has targeted SETI now. Of course rather than respectfully disagreeing he calls it a boondoggle.

So making an actual scientific attempt to detect aliens is boondoggle. Wait isn't he giving a talk to a bunch of Chariots of the Gods loons. Sounds like a prep for his talk to the ancient aliens retards who have answered the aliens question. Why waist money on science when this bunch of conspiracy theorists already have the answers.
Astronomy envy, or laying the groundwork so his more intellegent followers don't mock his talk at a woo circlejerk.
If there is intelligent life capable of reaching earth, I think its best to keep the SJWs in the dark about such things.

Aliens: We come in peace Earthlings.

SJW Welcoming party: Check your privilege, Schrodinger's Invaders!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I'm not sure how we missed this one.

My day with monkeys

by Taslima Nasreen

I bought dozens of bananas and went to Dalhousie road in Delhi. Lots of beautiful, elegant, intelligent monkeys ran towards me to get bananas. I tried to distribute bananas among them in equal shares. But it was impossible to make them stand in a queue. I did not want alpha males to snatch bananas from oppressed monkeys.
They love bananas. Wish I could feed them everyday. But the traffic police around the road was not happy with me, they asked me to stop feeding monkeys. I didn’t know that it was illegal to feed monkeys on the road. Why should love and care be illegal? They don’t find food in the jungle, so they came to the city. Why shouldn’t we feed them when there is almost no traffic and they are very hungry!
He got 3 bananas. But his hands are not free. So he is peeling the banana with his mouth. They are smarter than me.

As usual when Taslima writes about anything connected to science, it comes across like a POE. It's kind of horrifying to think that she qualified as a physician when her understanding of basic science is so witless.
She shows pictures of monkeys in the middle of the street begging bananas from her, and seems clueless as to why it's a bad idea to encourage (oppressed?) monkeys to seek their food in this way.

Bad Taslima!

Holy fuck is that stupid. They "can't" find food in the jungle? How about, they know that if they come to the city and beg, they will get handouts - much easier than searching for food. Then they may get killed in traffic, or attack someone, or even get to the point where they have problems supporting themselves. This is why there are laws preventing feeding of wild animals (such as bears or alligators). The whole "alpha males stealing from oppressed monkeys" bit - wtf? I'd ask if she was an idiot, but we know the answer. Not sure of the type of monkeys or social structure, but if they have alpha males, that might mean the non-dominants don't mate (or, in SJW speak - don't rape). Surely monkeys not raping is a good thing?

She can't figure out how to open things with her mouth if her hands are full (of course, we normally put things down, but ask any kid who has a death grip on things). Who the hell hasn't opened a bag of chips with their teeth? (or a beer bottle for some people) - I can't even...just...aagh.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Trophy wrote:
DownThunder wrote:

And so on an so forth.

Yes, I'm not denying that. Both men and women can have sexy hot bodies which when presented can help sell a product. And it would be hyportical of most people if they deny that they enjoy looking at hot bodies. The point is that one can present the hot bodies in a stupid way (e.g., bikini combat suit) or in a tasteful/thoughtful way.

So yeah, I'm not opposing naked skin or using sexy men/women to sell products. It's just sometimes they make too obvious and stupid. This is really an easy point to get and acknowledge, so it'll be boring for me to comment on again.
No, totally agreed. It's like the upcoming Ecco: The Dolphin sequel. They're continuing where the third game left off - half of it took place in the nightmares of a human, the other half in the nightmares of a dolphin.

Now the company has caved to sexism.

FYI - I made this all up.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I'm not sure how we missed this one.

My day with monkeys

by Taslima Nasreen

Bad Taslima!

There's actually one sentence in her post with which I'm at least inclined to agree...

feathers

Post by feathers »

JackRayner wrote: Because if goddamn Piss Christ [not a misspelling of "Peezus Christ"] can be protected under freedom of expression, even here in Jesusland, then what chance do killjoy Feminist harpies and their whiteknights have of getting shit like this suppressed?:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 94fe60.png
Looks perfectly functional. The sparse, elastic clothing gives a large freedom of movement during hand combat, and is designed to give the largely ciswhiteheterosexual opponent a constant throbbing erection, impairing his concentration.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Trophy wrote:
No, he is right. "Force" in the context you're using it in ("to force") implies involuntary compulsion. "Inspire" would be a better word. If the point is to INSPIRE game developers to design their characters in a different way, then that is fair enough.

But I don't think that's what Anita's trying to do. I think she is, as you say, trying to "force" developers to see it her way. And if not, well, they're either of the several buzzwords used within the radical feminist spectrum (misogynist, sexist, rape apologist, etc, etc, etc). With the knowledge that Anita isn't even a gamer (by her own admission) then I can't really accept her input as valid either, by virtue of her being a supposed "expert" on sexism in videogames.

I thought she had at least PLAYED the games she scrutinizes, but not even there does she qualify. So much for all that "research."

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/1MveAQ9.jpg

So says a commenter.
On Pharyngula.
:doh:

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

DownThunder wrote:
ccdimage wrote:

If there is intelligent life capable of reaching earth, I think its best to keep the SJWs in the dark about such things.

Aliens: We come in peace Earthlings.

SJW Welcoming party: Check your privilege, Schrodinger's Invaders!
I found the site. http://www.paradigmsymposium.com/
That fucking Fish statue thing on their webpage gives me rage. I am compelled to bite. Fucking troll image.
IncaFlyer.png
What is it?
(60.77 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
It's a Fish you blind conspiracy pieces of shit.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Pitchguest wrote:
Trophy wrote:
No, he is right. "Force" in the context you're using it in ("to force") implies involuntary compulsion. "Inspire" would be a better word. If the point is to INSPIRE game developers to design their characters in a different way, then that is fair enough.

But I don't think that's what Anita's trying to do. I think she is, as you say, trying to "force" developers to see it her way. And if not, well, they're either of the several buzzwords used within the radical feminist spectrum (misogynist, sexist, rape apologist, etc, etc, etc). With the knowledge that Anita isn't even a gamer (by her own admission) then I can't really accept her input as valid either, by virtue of her being a supposed "expert" on sexism in videogames.

I thought she had at least PLAYED the games she scrutinizes, but not even there does she qualify. So much for all that "research."
Okay fair enough. By force I mean "market force. BTW, because of all this discussion on AS, I've listened to this song 15 times in a row now ... I need hheellllppp!!!

[youtube]9Wl_uQOABxg[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

"She says, "Unfortunately, in addition to all of these benefits, many games tend to reinforce and amplify sexist and downright misogynist ideas about women.", If you think this is an honest argument ..."

Okay, let's review:
1) She didn't say "evil developers". You made it up. In that sentence that you quoted, she has not assigned malice to anyone. Maybe she blieves "reinforcement of sexist and downright misogynists" are done subconsciously without the developers realizing it.
2) And what the hell is a "threat" narrative?
3) Now, Anita Sarkeesian could be fuckfaced fraud, I'm still undecided on that but it's not difficult for me to accept that she actually believes what she says so she could be "honest".
4) And finally, the quote that you pulled is too general and too meaningless to agree or disagree with. What's "many games"? 3? 4? 10? 15? Over how many years? What if a game is great and has deep female characters but some aspects of it could be criticized, does it count? Do marginal and stupid games such as Cluster's Revenge count? Without going deeper into the discussion it's difficult to issue a "Yay or nej" verdict. Although I've to say that while sometimes she makes good points, most of their arguments are too shallow and follow a laundry list format.
1] It's called hyperbole, ya cunt. As for assigning malice, is the amplification of discrimination and hatred against women not enough malice for you? Add *stupid* to that "cunt" I wrote just before [unless you can show me evidence that Sarkeesian believes this is all just one big misunderstanding on the part of menz].
2] What, you're not a fan of Mykeru's work?
3] Well, I guess I should probably assume it is stupidity rather than malice/dishonesty when someone sets out to perform an exercise that is the opposite of the scientific method. But something about her past history, like the way she lies, misconstrues easily found facts, disables comments and ratings on her videos [popular creationist tactic], avoids debate like it's the fucking plague, etc, makes it really fucking hard for me to do so. Sorry [for being an informed, non-gullible fuck]?
4] Sorry. I shouldn't have expected you to watch the video in the page that I linked to, so that you could see that she says "with a few notable exceptions", basically all female character falls under one of her [TRIGGER WARNING!: Hyperbole ahead!!!1] evil tropes. But yeah. There it is.

I'm not sure why I keep wasting my time with this. I should just laugh at and ignore you like I do anyone gullible enough to think Becky has prosopagnosia. Sarkeesian is to gaming what Becky is to atheism/skepticism. The differences of note being that Sarkeesian takes better care of herself, and that she decided to sell her bullshit to a much less skeptical community, and is raking in the dough big time because of it...

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote: I'm not sure why I keep wasting my time with this. I should just laugh at and ignore you like I do anyone gullible enough to think Becky has prosopagnosia. Sarkeesian is to gaming what Becky is to atheism/skepticism. The differences of note being that Sarkeesian takes better care of herself, and that she decided to sell her bullshit to a much less skeptical community, and is raking in the dough big time because of it...
Or, in less words, if Becky had founded Gamerchick instead of Skepchick, a blog where gamer grrrls bitch and complain about the evil menz in the gaming community, she would be making a lot more money now...

ThePrussian

Post by ThePrussian »

Well, it has finally happened. Myers has finally given his formal repudiation of science and reason, deciding that his pissant political ambitions need to trump everything, up to and including science:

http://www.skepticink.com/prussian/2013 ... d-science/

I take some bleak satisfaction in having had his number for years now.
Coward, liar, arrogant blowhard, bully and fool: all these might, perhaps, be redeemable. But when someone decides to subordinate the scientific method to his political prejudices, when he is willing to not bother to do the most elementary effort due to any scientist because he does not wish to have his prejudices challenged – that is the ultimate corruption. Science was the sparkplug for the Enlightenment, and it remains the final line of defence against the forces of unreason. Someone who betrays it has declared that there is nothing he will not abandon.
Fuck him and anyone damn fool enough to indulge him now.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:@bovarchist:

The original question was about "wage gap" which to me implies both gender and racial wage gap. Besides, similar experiments have been done with respect to gender as well (http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/perdita/GenderBias/).
Things to consider:

In brute hours, in 'full-time' jobs men work 5% more hours per day. When selecting benefits from a cafeteria plan, men are more likely to choose wages in lieu of benefits, women benefits in lieu of wages. Benefits, btw, aren't measured by the DoL.

In danger and difficulty, 9 of the 10 most dangerous jobs are dominated by men. Men take jobs with less desirable characteristics in pursuit of higher pay. They work longer hours and overnight shifts. They tar roofs in the sun, drive trucks across the country, toil in sewer systems, stand watch as prison guards, and risk injury on fishing boats, in coal mines, and in production plants. Such jobs pay more than others because otherwise no one would want to do them otherwise.

Men take more risk in their careers. And suffer for it. The huge swaths of 50-something executives who failed to move up in their careers and are desperately seeking a change. It's enough to make you weep. And I bet you've never seen it. As a former CPA I had two great 'new business startup' demographics -- young men who couldn't break in and old men who were washed out of their executive life. Middle-age men, not so much.

Women, by choice, go to lower paying 'touchy feely' jobs that have regular hours, more comfortable conditions, little travel, and greater personal fulfillment despite, in many cases, this is despite having every educational opportunity and encouragement given to them (STEM fields). I saw this in public accounting. Men and women get hired in at equal rates. Women wash-out faster. Nobody is forcing them out, they hate the travel (auditing), the long-hours (busy season) and sitting in a cubical slaving away all day with little personal contact. In public accounting as the day starts, as a group, the men are in first and out last whereas the women are in last and out first. Every day.

Children are a big influence. To both genders. Men seek higher paying jobs to support the family (longer hours, more difficult jobs, far less family life and alienation) while women seek jobs that are 'kid' and 'schedule' friendly so they can do the direct rearing. So, it's not just women making the sacrifices, though you'd never know it from the wailing and moaning out of feminists. Tough choice for both genders -- be alienated from your children (like my grandfather and father) or shoot your career in the ass (like I and my brother did) but have a great relationship with your kids because you can't have it all -- no matter how many idiot feminists tell you that you can.

And all that being said. In the 20-largest metropolitan areas, young college-educated women out-earn their young male contemporaries. At some point these women will make the hard choices regarding reproduction and choose to stay on the 'man path' of long hours, hard work and sacrificing for the family through work and career. Or they can ramp-down the career and sacrifice it for personal fulfillment and raising children and then blame men without realizing that the men made the opposite choice on the same goddamn coin of sacrifice, yet they're (men) punished for it.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gefan wrote:
The confusion, I think, comes from the fact you're not using the same definition of rape as they are.
Quite right.
This fact is crucial to understanding the terms 'rape culture' and 'rape apologist' as used by SJWs.

Their definition of these terms seems to be based on the idea of 'consent'.
In other words, if there is no explicit consent for sexual intercourse then the act is rape and seeking to justify is as non-rape is the action of a rape apologist, someone who is supporting rape culture.

The trouble is, of course, that the terms 'consent' or 'non consent', while sounding black and white, have a wide degree of grey.
For example, should you regard sexual consent in the same way you would regard legal consent or medical consent - whereby the individuals should have it explained to them the various previously unspoken details (including ethical) underlying the action?

What about situations whereby one partner lies to the other in order to coaxe them into bed?
For example the case of the Israeli muslim who used a short form of his name in order to trick a woman into thinking he was Jewish - and was subsequently convicted of rape - because she didn't consent to having sex with a muslim.
How about telling someone, falsely, that your intentions are marriage, in order to keep them sleeping with you?
What about having an affair and not telling your partner so that they keep sleeping with you - while not consenting to being involved in an open relationship?

I have seen those last two scenarios raised as cases we should view as 'rape' according to this SJW standard.
The more obvious scenario we are likely to face - and one in which probably 90% of the atheist schism is based on - is the question of sex while under the influence of alcohol.
It seems to me that there is an attempt by the SJWs to define common activity - things that have probably been practiced at some point or other by the vast majority of adults - as non-consensual, specifically the idea that people can have consensual sex after drinking a moderate level of alcohol.
I say moderate level specifically to exclude situations where someone drinks so much alcohol that they pass out, or lose the ability to physically resist, and are subsequently the victim of rape.

If every scenario where someone has been drinking means that (sober) informed consent was not possible then all such events can be treated as potential rape. It shifts the line from situations where most of us can agree that bad was happening (for example the Steubenville case) to a place where it is clear that what society as a whole now sees as acceptable sexual behavior (hooking up at parties, clubs, bars etc, and subsequently engaging in sex) is viewed at the very least as problematic, and at the most as encouraging 'rape culture'.

Apples

Re: dazzed and confoozed

Post by Apples »

windy wrote:
Apples wrote: http://theedixieflatline.wordpress.com/ ... s-breadth/

Oops. Somehow Daz seems to have mistaken meters for kilometers, because by my calculations if 1 million hairs makes 70 meters, a billion makes 70 km, not 70,000 km. So - not quite 1750 times around the earth or half-way to the sun, more like a slightly lengthy Sunday drive. As far as I can tell no one at Pharyngula or Daz's blog noticed the mistake.
The blog post has been updated with a complaint about the Slymepit and a promise to rewrite that section.

Apart from the math errors, how does this sort of thing help "conceptualize" anything? A billion hairs??
http://www.harrisonline.com/GRAPHICS/hairball.jpg
Henry Coffer is the only barber in Charleston, Missouri, and may be the only hair collector in the entire state. He's been saving the hair he cuts off customers' heads for several years and adding them to the hairball that he hopes will put him in the Guinness book. Until then, he keeps adding to the 167-pound mass, which sits in the bed of his pickup truck.
http://paulharrisonline.blogspot.com/20 ... rball.html

Incidentally, Daz sure has his priorities straight. He has time to check his traffic, read our discussion about his error, write a two paragraph rant-edit on the blogpost (with a link to the 'Pit! :D) about how we are "complete fucking wankers" for not pointing out the error privately... but he couldn't be bothered to correct the error and says he'll do so "as soon as he has the time." Priceless.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Anita Sarkeesian makes some pretty convincing points? Her videos certainly aren't perfect, and I ultimately reserve judgment until I see statistics on what percentage of the most popular games actually do relegate female characters to mostly or entirely passive roles, but she provides an awful lot of examples—far too many for her to be *FLOOSH* dismissed for unevidenced opinions.

My impression was that Thunderf00t's response videos were pretty weak and at times borderline dishonest. I recall him quote-mining her master's thesis for a use of the word "strength" in one sense (physical strength) and claiming that it contradicted her use of the word in her video, even though it was quite clear that in the video she was using it in an altogether different sense (emotional/mental toughness). He then went on some tangent about how males really are physically stronger than females on average, as if she'd said or implied otherwise.

Thunderf00t also asserted that Sarkeesian was missing the bigger picture that games are made to turn a profit (his implication presumably being that if there's sexism in games, then that's simply what the buyers of games want)—but she dedicated a whole section of her video to emphasizing that games don't exist in a vacuum, and that any sexism in them is indicative of broader cultural issues. Her point was that sexism (often of the subconscious variety that Trophy's been discussing in posts on this thread today) is still a problem in our society as a whole, and since the gaming community has for so long been so disproportionately male, the effects of said sexism are comparatively conspicuous therein.

I'm not a gamer, and I really don't know enough about the topic to come to a meaningful conclusion here. I can say that a lot of the guys I went to high school and college with who were gamers struck me as more than a little bit sexist, but that's just anecdote (*FLOOSH*). Sarkeesian, though, strikes me as rather impressive on the whole, and while I'll acknowledge that she seems to overstate her case in places, I think it's a mistake to lump her in with the IBP (Insane Baboon Posse). I don't know if she's right, but I don't question her integrity (notwithstanding the video posted in this thread about her actual "gamer"-ness), and she's no fake victim (yes, she discusses the online harassment and abuse she's been subjected to, but at least that harassment and abuse is real).
Her points, many of them, were completely wrong from a technical aspect. Many of them were so out of context that a creationist would have blushed. Further, her selected games were a very narrow and carefully contrived sample and mostly really old games. Donkey Kong? Really? I played that in the late 1970s I think it was. Maybe early '80s.

As for new games, she conveniently leaves out tons and tons of games that are either female lead (or either gender) and are among the best selling franchises of all time: Tomb Raider, KOTOR, Mass Effect Series, Baldur's Gate series, NWN series, Elder SCrolls series, Fallout series, Saints Row series, etc., etc., etc.. Or expects certain types of games to feature women which, in the genre, makes no sense. (As in there are ZERO female US Rangers, SEAL team, Recon soldiers in combat operations in the Gulf (or anywhere). You're not going to find a lot of female football (American or Traditional) players in Madden or FIFA.)

As far as her harassment, she doesn't allow comments or rating on her videos. If you have completely shut down 100% of the comments and ratings, how can you be harassed? Oh, yes, you fucking make it up!!! In short, she IS a fake victim and she takes comments from other people's channels and pretends they're made against her. So, no, she's not harassed nor does she 'engage in a dialogue' with the gaming community. She sits on her fucking throne and points fingers and cries victim when she's not victimized in any way, shape or form. She makes Watson look like third-team, career bench warmer in the phony victim Olympics.

She also slanders the hell out of the community. As a gamer, I can damn well tell you that the environment is NOT like that in large group settings. I'm a GW2 player and a (second-tier, not primary) Commander on SBI. None of that 'sexist' or 'homophobic' or 'racist' shit happens despite the assertions by various 'professional victim' and 'professional white knight' idiots who assert that it does. You come on to server teamspeak and do that crap, you're banned. You do that in most any adult guild, you're banned. You do that crap in map chat, you're reported and ANet gives you a three-day suspension (do it enough and it's a perma-ban). People just aren't interested in some douche-nozzle acting the fool and disrupting things. Especially sexist, homophobic and racist shit. Hell, even swearing isn't allow in most server channels and lots of guild channels.

Personally, I get tired of the myths around gaming and gamers. I really get annoyed with the White Knighting and pretend 'girlz rule, boys drool' crap because girls are (literally) just as bad when people/situations allow them to be just as bad: http://tinyurl.com/kx2ouxc This whole 'innocent, oppressed girl gamer' crap is a myth. The women in competitive gaming, when they have the freedom to do so, are just as vile, trash-talking, swearing and obnoxious as the men.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OK So I had to look (underline mine):

http://theedixieflatline.wordpress.com/ ... s-breadth/
[EDIT: To any slymepit readers. If you're reading an article and you notice a silly mistake, like the author having confused their units—turning metres into kilometres or vice versa, for instance—what do you do? Personally, I, being a helpful sort of chap an' all, would point it out, so that the author could fix the problem. But then, I'm not a complete fucking wanker, and I don't have the sense of humour of a twelve-year-old.

To anyone who isn't here for the purposes of shouting nyer nyer or similar playground noises, I made just such a mistake in the section beginning "Put yet another way, so as to graphically turn a very small number into a very big one." It needs a complete rewrite, which it will get as soon as I have the time.
—Daz]
The link to the Slympit takes me here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=351&start=10050

Postby James Caruthers » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 am • [Post 10051]
welch wrote:
If you catch a mack truck in your mouth, I might die of terminal pants-shitting.
:lol:
Caine? Is that you?
I dunno but might he have a subtle point? :lol:

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

:lol:

Seeing this again after following Andrew's link, and I just noticed that there's a comment by Caine in there!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The funny thing is, I watched Sarkeesian's TED talk long before I saw her videos on YouTube. I knew she was full of shit in her 'sexism' talk because I know gaming and the gaming community. But I did buy off on the 'poor Anita' being abused on the Internet bit. Until I found out that, in reality, it's almost NOTHING and is MASSIVELY OVERBLOWN on her part. So, lesson learned.
Service Dog wrote:Sarkeesian lied by exaggeration-- about the online abuse she received.

She said "over 200" anti-Sarkeesian memes had been created, using her picture, at a meme generator site. Just a smidgen "over 200" memes had indeed been created... but about 1/3 of them were captioned with pro-Sarkeesian words. She counted her own supporters as abusers to beef up the numbers.
Which she went looking for. Kind of like when the FC(n) come here and find 'abuse.' Nobody made those comments to her. They just counter-trolled her for amusement and the butt of jokes because she's a troll.

In our community, PZ Myers is a troll and trolls the entire atheist/skeptic community with his feminist bullshit. We troll him back through memes because he refuses any realistic dialogue opportunities as he pontificates from his Throne on High. Just like AS.

How is that sexism? Myers trolls a community and pretends to be a victim of unenlightened fuckwits who push-back against his bullshit. And in the gaming arena, Sarkeesian trolls the community and pretends to be a victim of rampant misogyny because people push-back against her bullshit.

It's the same exact push-back. Yet Sarkeesian seems to claim some special, gender-related type of harassment. And that she shouldn't suffer push-back for trolling.
She called the Beat 'Em Up game featuring her face a domestic abuse game. A woman being hit isn't automatically domestic abuse... unless the abuser is/was her domestic partner. But 'domestic abuse' sounded more salacious, so that's what she called it.

I forgot about that. It was a juvenile game and similar games have been made about LOTS and LOTS of people including Bin Laden, George Bush and Barak Obama. She's not the first, nor will she be the last. And the game has NOTHING to do with domestic violence.
She said her wikipedia page was defaced with "pornographic" images. In actuality, the linked image was a Sex Ed cartoon from within Wikipedia's image collection. Not pornography. She pixelates the image in her "I was abused online" presentations, so audiences can imagine the Worst, not see the mild truth.
Of course she over-blows it. Of course she hides it was a 'nothing.' You can't get nearly as many SJW Victim points for a sex-ed cartoon as you can for vile porno.
My point in these examples is not to split hairs over minor differences ("over 200" memes vs. "nearly 200"),
but rather to highlight that-- in each case-- her inaccuracies were designed to push Damsel in Distress buttons. A gang of 200 brutes is a different mental image than a spirited exchange of opinions/ where her side scored fewer memes. "Domestic" violence is a hotbutton issue vs. garden-variety violence. "Pornographic" images suggest women being harmed vs. How To Put On A Condom Instructions.
Given these distortions, nothing she says should be trusted.
Got to give her props, she plays the victim well. But people do catch the inconsistencies. For example, some of the pixelated 'abusive comments' came from YouTube. Only she doesn't allow comments (or ratings) on YouTube. Some people have noticed that and pointed out that fact and that, therefore, they're taken from other people's channels. I have no doubt will be a legitimate Gold Medal favorite at the 2014 Victim Olympics.

BTW, Watson should sit at her feet and BEG for lessons because Sarkeesian pulled in over 100K to not play the games she criticizes (and get her criticisms wrong) while ripping off YouTube clips and Wikipedia. That's SJW grifting taken to a whole new level.

Tony Parsehole

Re: dazzed and confoozed

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Apples wrote:
Incidentally, Daz sure has his priorities straight. He has time to check his traffic, read our discussion about his error, write a two paragraph rant-edit on the blogpost (with a link to the 'Pit! :D) about how we are "complete fucking wankers" for not pointing out the error privately... but he couldn't be bothered to correct the error and says he'll do so "as soon as he has the time." Priceless.
[EDIT: To any slymepit readers. If you're reading an article and you notice a silly mistake, like the author having confused their units—turning metres into kilometres or vice versa, for instance—what do you do? Personally, I, being a helpful sort of chap an' all, would point it out, so that the author could fix the problem. But then, I'm not a complete fucking wanker, and I don't have the sense of humour of a twelve-year-old.

To anyone who isn't here for the purposes of shouting nyer nyer or similar playground noises, I made just such a mistake in the section beginning "Put yet another way, so as to graphically turn a very small number into a very big one." It needs a complete rewrite, which it will get as soon as I have the time.
—Daz]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! PRICELESS!
Yeah, if the author of a random blog anywhere on the internet is spouting shit in an attempt to appear deep, intelligent and profound, don't discuss it or laugh about it. Never ever. Ever.

What a fucking cretin.
"Hurr durr...Did U no dat da moon is made ov cheese hurr durr..I willz rite a massive blogpost about it an erryone will fink I iz da bestest at science..Wotz dat? Da moon izn't made ov cheese but is made ov rock? Oo iz a wanker for working dat out wivout informin' me first..."

http://theedixieflatline.wordpress.com/ ... s-breadth/

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

One of the fond memories that I have of Caine (from back in the day when I used to read and comment on FTB pharyungula) is from one of the usual big SJW bitchfests where caine and a bunch of others were being their usual selves, insluting and abusing people with different opinions. Annoyed by their assholiness, I asked how to make the killfiles work for the new FTB pharyngula. Unsuspectingly, Caine directed me to the right fix (possibly thinking "MRAs" would get it). I thanked her for her help and then immediately added her to the kill file :lol:. It was most satisfying experience ever 8-)!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BillHamp wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Sarkeesian lied by exaggeration-- about the online abuse she received.

I know one lifelong feminist & women's college grad (raised in a Ms. Magazine/pro-ERA women's lib household) who loathes Sarkeesian, and names Sarkeesian as the foremost example of why she no longer calls herself a feminist. So... Sarkeesian is doing some good in the world!
I see this happening more and more. People who are actually concerned about equal rights have moved away from being identified as feminists because of all the negative bagger the word carries thanks to the likes of Sarkessian-types, A+, FtB, etc. They have taken a serious movement and turned into a farce in which more time is spent trying to redefine common language than is spent actually trying to fix real problems. A case in point would be a kickstarter campaign to complain about video games when women are still being beaten and stoned to death for being raped in some parts of the world. It's hard to take Anita seriously about video games when real women are being murdered for being the victims of abuse.
I used to identify myself as a 'feminist.' My grandmothers were. My mother was. Most of her friends were. I grew up that way.

At this point in time, every single person with whom I've discussed feminism with in our family and who was a 'feminist' disavows this modern take on feminism. Some have done a 180 like David Horowitz & PJ O'Rourke and have turned themselves into reactionary Wing-Nuts (like my mother). Others, like myself and some other family members have turned into humanists. Others wail and bemoan what feminism has become and have engaged in the No True Scotsman fallacy to explain them away (my wife).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I think it's awesome. When my bf and I played WoW, we searched the world for a metal bikini + metal thigh highs. It's fantasy ffs! Dressing your character up in completely sexy/crazy clothes and then doing battle with giant tigers, and rats and fire gods is what it's all about!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Karmakin wrote:
BillHamp wrote:
Karmakin wrote: I would argue that the amount that this effect is real (and it's not non-zero) IS sexism. Preferring to play characters of one gender or another is sexism. It's not always an overtly harmful form of sexism, but it is something. Gender bias IS sexism.

That said, I think the amount of this type of sexism in the gaming community is overstated. I think that marketing departments think that it's much bigger than it actually is. So if one wants to make the argument that something needs to be done about game marketing departments I'd agree 100%. I'm not sure how big the problem is, but there is a problem...although I think the problem is marketing and not just gaming marketing.
That's ridiculous. Men preferring to play male characters is not sexism just as straight men preferring to have sex with women is not homophobia and gay women preferring sex with other women is not heterophobia. Your argument is totally specious.
You're comparing apples and oranges, but let me make it clearer.

There are two different types of games we're talking about, roughly speaking. You have games such as World of Warcraft, Saint's Row (in my mind because I just finished it), Mass Effect and so on. Games where you create your own character, an avatar. There's nothing wrong with creating an avatar that matches you, because in essence it's asking you to put yourself into the game. It's to be expected.

What I'm talking about are games such as say Tomb Raider, Bayonetta, Remember Me, Beyond Two Souls (not out yet, but soon), Lollipop Chainsaw, etc. that have games with primary female protagonists, and people who won't play these games because they feature female protagonists.

I do think that yes, this is sexism. I also think it's pretty damn rare, but not entirely non-existent. I also think that marketing and money folks think that it's MUCH more common than it actually is.

That's basically what I'm saying.

Tomb Raider is one of the all-time leading franchises within its niche in gaming history. You couldn't have picked a dumber example if Anita told you. Here's an EARLY sales blurb on the most recent:
The Tomb Raider reboot released on PC and consoles earlier this year has surpassed the 4-million-units-sold mark worldwide.

This accomplishment was referenced in a Gamasutra blog post written by Darrell Gallagher, the former studio head of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics who is now the head of product development and studios for Square Enix. The blog discusses dealing with changes in the industry and noted how the new take on Lara Croft had sold more than 4 million copies around the world since its release in March. This makes it the fastest selling game in the franchise's history, according to Gallagher.
And this from Wikipedia:
The game had sold more than 1 million copies in less than forty-eight hours of its release.[73] In the United Kingdom, Tomb Raider debuted at number one on the charts, becoming the biggest UK title launch in 2013 so far, surpassing the sales of Aliens: Colonial Marines. Tomb Raider set a new record for the franchise, more than doubling the debut sales of Tomb Raider: Legend. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Tomb Raider set new week one records as the fastest-selling individual formats of any Tomb Raider title so far, a record which was previously held by Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.[74] Tomb Raider also topped the charts in France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United States.[75][76][77][78][79] In the United States, Tomb Raider was the second best-selling title of March, excluding digital download sales, only behind BioShock Infinite.[80] In Japan, Tomb Raider debuted at number four with 35.250 units sold.[81] On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail, but has failed to reach predicted sales targets.[82] However, on 29 March 2013, Crystal Dynamics defended Tomb Raider's sales, stating the reboot had the "most successful launch" of any game this year in addition to setting a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.[83] On 22 August 2013, Darrell Gallagher, head of product development and studios for Square Enix, announced on Gamasutra that the game sold more than 4 million copies worldwide.[84]
Vs. anecdote without even a shred of proof. You're arguing in bad faith.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

During the PA State Atheist/Humanist Conference, I encountered absolutely zero hostility from conference attendees - much unlike the experience with the WIS2 crowd. Additionally, noone from FTB or Skepchick were invited to speak. What I did hear, though, from several people, is that they are sick of PZ, Watson, and co.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Oh, and in Age of Conan you can run around topless, boobs to the wind. I plan on doing that. Even though it's completely *tasteless* and * unrealistic*. However, my character will also be shooting fireballs from her hands - also completely *silly* and *unrealistic*

acathode

Post by acathode »

Trophy wrote:Yes, I'm not denying that. Both men and women can have sexy hot bodies which when presented can help sell a product. And it would be hyportical of most people if they deny that they enjoy looking at hot bodies. The point is that one can present the hot bodies in a stupid way (e.g., bikini combat suit) or in a tasteful/thoughtful way.

... ehm, yeah, it's stupid, but some games are stupid, others are realistic, and both are fine. Dragon Age is going for realism (or rather plausibility but w/e), while other games goes much wilder and go with "rule of cool" ("rule of sexy"?). Especially Asian games tend to have completely ridiculous costume designs, for both men and women. Just take a look at some of the costumes of FFX:
http://i.imgur.com/8EqCy8K.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/fxKZdAR.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/tEZURTS.jpg?1
When you start looking closer at them, you just go "wtf"... a skirt made out of belts? How the hell do you move in that thing? Why the hell did the main character forget one of his pant legs, and spend the whole game showing of his blue undies? And just why is the blue beast guy running around in a S&M-leather strap getup?!

I haven't played any MGS game, but when doing a quick image search for "MGS characters", realism isn't really the main thing that I get as results, instead I'm getting cyborgs and "rule of cool" stuff. I also get plenty of fully armored women, women with cleavage and , fully armored males, and male hunks showing tons of skin and muscles. Based on what I saw, those pics of "Quiet" really doesn't seem out of place in the MSG universe.

Of course, the "chainmail bikini" thing is a problem in some games, where the sheer stupidity of it actually do ruin the immersion, but it's a rather small problem compared to the one the neo-victorian feminists are shouting about.

ps. Sorry about the game discussion, sure it's boring the shit out of some pitters... but at least it's better than fighting over carpentry!

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

JackRayner wrote:An Addendum on the "Panty & Stocking" video I posted above. Panty & Stocking is a cartoon about two angels that got kicked out of heaven for bad behavior, and they're stuck on Earth until they can kill enough "ghosts" to buy their way back into heaven.

What I actually wanted to call attention to, in that short clip, was the fact that the two protagonists fight by removing their panties and stockings [respectively] and using them as weapons. However, I realized that the rest of the clip contains a lot of other stuff that your average moralizer would object to. There's a monster made out of shit, and enough cursing to get it banned from most television networks even if it was censored as it is in this clip.

Now, any control-freak, moralizing asshole can sit here and scream "WHY? WHAT'S THE LOGIC BEHIND MAKING CHARACTERS THAT USE UNDERGARMENTS TO FIGHT, AND GIANT MONSTERS MADE OUT OF SHIT, AND FOR ALL OF THIS PROFANITY?!", but in the end, "Just because" is an adequate answer. There's such a thing as freedom of expression, and if you or anyone else doesn't like this sort of shit, you can just fuck off and not patronize it. :P
Actually, it's because the whole thing is FUCKING HILARIOUS. The reason why the show exists is that it's a parody of Western animation (see the unique art style)...it's Powerpuff Girls meet Adult Swim. Turned up to...not 11...21. Both characters are designed to be stereotypical Americans ramped up.

The "transformation" scene is something you see in anime..again, they turned the subtext into text and ramped it up. This is something you'll see a lot.

The history of it (and that's important for context), is that this is by GAINAX, who's claim to fame is Neon Genesis Evangelion, one of the most influential and important anime series ever made. However their biggest hit recently is another mech series, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Note: See my avatar/picture thingy? It's actually a screen-cap from the second TTGL movie. This is a series where they set the groundwork for a downbeat tragedy of a story, and somewhere along the way they said FUCK IT, turned everything up to 21 and let the series build and build and build to the point where it ended with mechs throwing galaxies with one another.

Things REALLY escalated.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt was the follow-up to TTGL, and following off of the success of that, like I said. It's a parody of western animation turned up to 21. And it's equal parts hilarious and AWESOME. (The fights between P and S and their demon counter-parts are insane).

Anyway, that's the story behind that.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Tribble wrote:
Vs. anecdote without even a shred of proof. You're arguing in bad faith.
Nah. Just making my argument poorly.

My actual argument is that these people exist..but are EXTREMELY RARE. Furthermore they're not really worth talking about because they only play a few established series ANYWAY. (Call of Duty, Madden, etc.)

However, marketing and money people DO think that they're the majority of the gaming community. (Projection much?), and there is a very real hesitation to create games with female leads because of it. There's also again, that making a game with a female lead is risky because it's often scrutinized way more than a male lead would be. (Again, that brand of feminism doing more harm than good to their cause)

If people wanted to do the best thing they can to fix this, they'd be going after the marketing and money people directly with what you're talking about...NOT reinforcing their mistaken opinion, which is what AS is doing.