Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Darren

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Darren »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ä uest wrote: I am hopeful it is only a tree that Dillahunty ends up hitting.
Cop car. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!
At least they'll have it on video...

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Slither wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:One person, "Roxie", was banned in the New Rules thread today.

Let's see what egregious behavior Roxie committed, shall we?
PZ Myers wrote: Roxie is also banned. The trolling was way too obvious.
Wow! That is "trolling"?!! And PZ wants to make his blog kinder and more welcoming? Words fail me.
How to troll Pharyngula in three easy steps:

1) Click 'Comment' on any post
2) Type something (anything, really)
3) Post comment

Viola! You've just trolled Pharyngula!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Slither wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:One person, "Roxie", was banned in the New Rules thread today.

Wow! That is "trolling"?!! And PZ wants to make his blog kinder and more welcoming? Words fail me.
PZ just doesn't want to babysit his regulars anymore, apparently. Fuck the people who were too timid to post before, but saw an opportunity to give their opinions from a lurker's viewpoint.

I guarantee nothing will change over the long run.

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

Let's see what egregious behavior Roxie committed, shall we? Consider it a case study.

A few comments to start:
1) All of the posts below are by Roxie except the 3 where I've given another name in the quote box header.

2) All bolding was added by me. The colored font is Myers' usual ban-red. Roxie didn't use blockquote so the quotes are just as she/he included them within her/his posts.

3) These are all of Roxie's posts in the thread, as far as I found. I did not try to include other people's replies to Roxie; there were many. (There are >450 comments in the thread, so it looks like lots of regular commenters there have at least as many posts as Roxie in that thread.) I did not look to see whether Roxie has any other history at Pharyngula.

4) Remember, Myers' blog post had said: "I don’t quite know how to fix everything, so let’s crowdsource it — you people leave comments here telling me what rules you think might work to get the knifey-bitey-smashy atmosphere to lighten up a little." He did NOT specify that input was restricted to regular commenters.

PZ Myers wrote:I notice we had an interesting real-life example here overnight: Roxie. Total troll — a person who has never ever posted here before shows up in a community thread and starts flinging “advice”, which is actually nothing but using the thread as an excuse to criticize while offering no productive suggestions at all. Maybe people can take a look at the responses to Roxie here; were they measured and appropriate? Were they too harsh? Were people too quick to condemn? Were there substantive responses, even in harsh disagreement?

Roxie is also banned. The trolling was way too obvious.
Your post basically says it all about Phraryngula and also about "safe space" forums with heavy moderation.

I have never seen a safe space forum not devolve into this sort of corrupt bullying. And yes, that is as obvious as requoting "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

The past 24 hours of Phargyngula have gone full circle from recognition of his problem, to trying to move away from it, to listening to his readers validate why his problem is actually good and needed, to PZ's recommitting.

[youtube]UPw-3e_pzqU[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Wow. That Chris person on Skepchick left out that they weren't booted from the Con, they chose to wrap up and go home (well, one did). At least, as far as everything I have seen that is what happened.

PZ, lying hypocrite. Surprise. Roxie was giving advice, it was just advice they don't want to hear, so that made her a troll. The answer to your questions, PZ, would be No, Yes, Yes, and No. That was easy.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Slither wrote:

Called it!

http://i.qkme.me/35j6o3.jpg

Darren

Post by Darren »

Forgive my laziness, but is this the same thread PZ where specifically asked for the opinions of non-regulars? Because the regulars were so "jaded"?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Darren wrote:Forgive my laziness, but is this the same thread PZ where specifically asked for the opinions of non-regulars? Because the regulars were so "jaded"?
Good memory! Yes, in comment #79 (before Roxie's first post)

http://i.imgur.com/vG8XkwM.png?1

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

bovarchist wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
I can't see that it is reasonable to argue that prostitution is inherently or intrinsically wrong – at best, no more than a quid pro quo on the same order as most other economic transactions – but it turns into a hell-on-wheels when we deny the protections of the law to those within the business most in need of it.

Prostitution itself is legal here in Canada. What isn't is running a bordello, or "communicating for the purposes of". Kind of hypocritical which, not surprisingly, produces some "growths" if not cancers of one sort or another.
And yet there are bordellos everywhere, under the name of 'massage parlors'. So i hear.
Yes, I had heard that too. But after doing a serious statistical survey followed by some dedicated field work, I am pleased to report that what you have heard is quite true.

Not so pleasing to report though is a few anecdotes that suggest that such establishments pay substantially higher business licence fees than most other places do. Which hardly seems cricket, to say the least. And they also seem to be leaned on heavier and quicker without just cause as a result of the nature of their business. While I’m not sure of the details, one such place in the area was ordered closed recently because of some complaints from the neighors – a new housing complex.

In any case, if you were interested in the phenomenon, I would recommend Red Lights on the Prairies by James H. Gray, a decidedly fascinating account of prostitution in Western Canada from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Interesting fact that Winnipeg in 1910 had 60 hotels, 50 "disorderly houses", 3 schools, and 16 churches.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Darren wrote:Forgive my laziness, but is this the same thread PZ where specifically asked for the opinions of non-regulars? Because the regulars were so "jaded"?
-Ask for newbies to post
-Get pissed off when newbies post
-Ban them

I just can't figure out why Peezus is having trouble making his forum less toxic! :roll:

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Peezus Myers and his AtheismPlus cohorts can't crash and burn soon enough. They've done more damage to the cause of atheism and left-wing politics than any creationist group could hope to accomplish.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Klxj4YW.jpg
Ha ha! It's almost like his ass-kissing beard turns pink when a tree looms.

Great shop on the hypocrisy meter as well.

BTW, has anyone noticed the number of blogs bagging RW and tablegate? It's a veritable dogpile, I tell you!

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I don't know how you folks can support Roxie. They were obviously trolling by flinging "advice" that was "relevant to the topic" and since they hadn't commented before, that must mean they were new to the community, and were definitely not a lurker who never chimed in previously because of the toxicity of the comment section. Duh, guys. Duh.

I'm sorry, my liver just failed from my own sarcasm. I'm going to rub some whiskey on it and go lay down.

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

What, compassionate bitchiness has failed already?

No doubt it's the fault of the Slymepitters.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dammit, the lulz this weekend by Roth & Watson & Myers have serious cut into my catch-up-on-work time. Gotta revise a chapter by tomorrow at 8am. Yell at me if you see me posting any more in the next 14 hrs, okay?

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

Let's see what egregious behavior Roxie committed, shall we? Consider it a case study.

@ Maureen Brian, John Morales et al

I don’t have a problem with “naughty words” or swearing. I’m a grownup and appreciate it as a way to let off steam or add colour to a narrative, but I don’t see the need to use vile insults and profanity as an unnecessary adjunct to debate, just because you don’t happen to agree.

There seems to be a culture of viciousness here, where it’s seen as cool and wonderful here to call unsuspecting commenters assholes, rape apologists etc and to go fuck themselves etc. I would think most newbs commenting here wouldn’t be used to that sort of treatment, so that immediately puts them at a disadvantage.
PZ Myers wrote:I notice we had an interesting real-life example here overnight: Roxie. Total troll — a person who has never ever posted here before shows up in a community thread and starts flinging “advice”, which is actually nothing but using the thread as an excuse to criticize while offering no productive suggestions at all. Maybe people can take a look at the responses to Roxie here; were they measured and appropriate? Were they too harsh? Were people too quick to condemn? Were there substantive responses, even in harsh disagreement?

Unbelievable. His OP was a bit vague, but I think it is clear now that his concern was mostly about too much infighting among his cult, not the treatment of visitors.

(And thanks for wading through the excrement to collect this.)

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Aneris wrote:Oh noes. We must set up a petition to help the commentariat. The new rules will be the end of nerd, caine, sallystrange, chigau, tony douche and the others, who are relentlessly negative and repetetive and who don't get along well with others. What about the lulz?
I'm glad there are no rules like that here. Relentless negativity and repetition are my forte.
I'm also glad there are no rules like that here. Relentless negativity and repetition are also my forte. You fucker.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Gumby wrote:
comslave wrote: We'll need to contract with Intel to make a violin small enough.
I hear there's been significant advances in the field of quantum violins.
We've got to do something to stop all the sax and violins at conferences.

FlyingV

Post by FlyingV »

Skep tickle wrote: #333

Why is PZ asking for substantive responses if he doesn't write a substantive blog?

PZ, my productive suggestion to you is to either not allow comments or to have one clear rule about comments: Agree with me or get banned. It's your little corner on the internet, and if you don't want people to post dissenting opinions on your blog, then by all means, don't allow them. Just own up to it and stop pretending you give a sh*t what anyone else has to say.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:Dammit, the lulz this weekend by Roth & Watson & Myers have serious cut into my catch-up-on-work time. Gotta revise a chapter by tomorrow at 8am. Yell at me if you see me posting any more in the next 14 hrs, okay?
Now if this was A+ you could ask for a temp ban ... but you are allegedly an adult I trust?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Ä uest wrote: <snip>
Not just that, it's the whole marijuana is a gateway drug claim versus how people respond to legal substitute goods versus illegal goods.

So would trying legal marijuana inevitably lead to meth use because marijuana is a gateway and people will strive for illegal but better highs, or will people stick with alcohol and marijuana and illegal meth use will drop off.
completely different high - marijuana and alcohol are depressants. "an illegal, but better high" would lead to mushrooms, perhaps heroin, not meth.
I had forgotten about that dichotomy between depressants and stimulants. Although there seems to be some controversy whether marijuana entirely qualifies as the former:
While many psychoactive drugs clearly fall into the category of either stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogen, cannabis exhibits a mix of all properties, perhaps leaning the most towards hallucinogenic or psychedelic properties, though with other effects quite pronounced as well.
Other notes there suggest, if I remember correctly, that it very much depends on the individual psychological and genetic makeup. Also on the concentration of the “84 other cannabinoids” in the plant. I remember reading sometime ago that, with all of various grow-ops in the market, there has been a very significant increase in the concentration of several of those psychoactive ingredients – artifical selection in action, with not entirely beneficial consequences.

But I remember many years ago thinking, in some jest, that it might be fun to join one of the religions of the native tribes of Mexico or the American south who used psilocybin as part of their ceremonies as that use was apparently protected by law.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

3) Post comment

I think the process goes more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/OTKfZty.png

Southern

Post by Southern »

Ha! I always knew that Lsuoma is exactly like PZ.

robnixxo

Post by robnixxo »

This whole "tone troll" concept seems like a cheap way for them to get rid of anyone with a differing opinion before they even have a chance to elaborate or defend themselves. Could even be someone who in the end would agree with them, but they don't even give them a chance because they started off with the wrong question. It's getting fucking ridiculous. Martin Wagner (the white knight from the Atheist Experience) is polluting their blog and their FB with this shit.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Rope apologist wrote:What, compassionate bitchiness has failed already?

We're a shitty group, I tells ya!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... eb5f24.gif

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Neil deGrasse Tyson was awfully prescient in not wanting to get tangled up in the atheist community. He probably would've been accused of rape by now.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson was awfully prescient in not wanting to get tangled up in the atheist community. He probably would've been accused of rape by now.
I don't know. I think he is granted at least some SJW auto-immunity because he's a brown person.

Southern

Post by Southern »

robnixxo wrote:This whole "tone troll" concept seems like a cheap way for them to get rid of anyone with a differing opinion before they even have a chance to elaborate or defend themselves. Could even be someone who in the end would agree with them, but they don't even give them a chance because they started off with the wrong question. It's getting fucking ridiculous. Martin Wagner (the white knight from the Atheist Experience) is polluting their blog and their FB with this shit.
Martin Wagner is a fucking disgrace. I never liked him on Atheist Experience, his episodes were boring, and he only comes forth to spew trite bullshit. I mean, say what you want about Dillahaunty, Tracy, or Glasser, they at least bring something to the table (even if it's not something that interesting). But Wagner? Peezus Christ.

I wonder how he and Jeff Dee went along - Dee always sounded like an arrogant prick with no qualms on calling bullshit by it's name (and, of course, he was the one responsible for the "Ann Coulter is a fucking cunt" episode of Non-Prophets; I suppose Matt was giving him stern looks on the studio the whiole time).

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

A regular commenter on Pharyngula, haven't got ref or quote presently, suggested that much of the present strife is due to a fallout on facebook amongst a group of regular commenters that has resulted in two very hostile groups at Phartngula. I haven't heard about this, can anyone enlighten me.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Haven’t read it yet, but I sort of think that the SGU interview that Brive1987 referenced above provides somewhat of an answer (linky?). I think this place kind provides the contrast with Pharyngula that emphasizes the point that, once a forum starts down the path of heavy moderation and arbitrary banning the more or less inevitable result is places like Pharyngula and AtheismPlus. Someone provided this link to an article on Internet Silos which provides further justification.
SGU interview = http://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcast/sgu/424 @ 58:58

Context is new media and its capacity to create non intellectual "safe zones". The example used is anti-vax - but the terms used by Steve (trolls etc) make me think his point was made with a broader point in mind.
Thanks for the link and for the time stamp.
Brive1987 wrote:Its funny - I used the link to the article on silos at the bottom of the post that got me shot on pharyngula.
If you still have the text of that comment you might want to consider posting it here. Further evidence of PZ’s rather draconian if not totally deluded and bigoted moderation policies. Curious too, considering that you seem to have posted quite frequently over there over some period of time – one would have thought that might have bought you something in the way of some consideration, that you weren’t tainted with “The Slyme!!!!!11!” then. Maybe that’s what brought you over from “The Dark Side!”.
Brive1987 wrote:PZ is the clichéd "only soldier in a group that's marching in time". I wonder if it even registers that:

Sam Harris thinks he is the Shepherd of Trolls - http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/wrestling-the-troll

Steve Novella finds him unhelpful - http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -religion/

Massimo Pigliucci is unimpressed - http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com. ... ddles.html

I can't think of three more different or better qualified Skeptics to be benchmarked by. I shudder to think of what Sagan would say.
I’ve read that post of Pigliucci’s and quoted or linked to it here several times. Really kind of cuts PZ off at the knees - "juvenile hormonal rage" was I think one of the choicer terms he used.
Ta. I put my FtB post up in my first comment here - but I've wacked it down below as well.

I knew the links were old hat - but I just wanted the satisfaction of seeing them together :idea: It helps to occasionally remind yourself that there are options to the drama.

By way of FtB context. I've personally undergone a transformation from:

-> big tent skeptic -> Oh I get the concept of SJW, thats a new/interesting take on the world, let me mentally try it on -> Umm interesting conceptually but a big fail as a real world ideology -> you guys are idiots and completely ideologically driven.

I had been reading FtB since Expelled. And watched the train wreck. With a few exceptions I generally commented only when I *really* disagreed with a point.

That said I do believe in an informed but principled approach to life. So if you are going to run a WiS Conference [fail per CSI Mission statement] - then do it properly and professionally (principle). Don't tweet WBC (principle). Don't scam DragonCon and bullshit when called (principle). etc etc

Right now I am SkepticInc orientated and pining for the old days when Skepticality was fresh and new. I feel quite sorry for Derrick over DragonCon. I think Swoopy had the right idea to flee.

My FtB post below .... I couldn't believe it was deleted with my sig message. Well actually I can. Context was, of course, Shermer.

I can't see anyone engaging with wanderson's #39 point: take the subjective anecdote seriously and then seek corroboration via tests etc before doing something irreversible. The implication is that you can take the rape allegation seriously AND request additional evidence before hanging anyone in the court of public opinion. You may not agree but that was the point in play.u

Caine why were you on this thread at all if you are sick of other people's opinions you disagree with and find so tiresome? Let newcomers come to their own negotiated conclusions, even if via repeat performance - I'm sure you don't want to project the image that this space is all about you and your specific already formed opinions?

I wonder how many more lurkers would engage if each post had:

* Lounge stream where differences could be discussed by the wider community without the 'tone that shall not be named' and

* Thunderdome stream (ie status quo) where the usual suspects could make their contributions to each other:

"Oh, aren’t you sweet? Tell ya what, Elizabeth, go fuck yourself. After dealing with these doucheweasels pretty much non-stop since the 8th, I’m out of patience. I’m also out of this thread, because I just can. not. deal. with. the. same. old. shit. again today. I certainly don’t need you telling me what to do because you’re feeling all sorry for Dr. Doucheweasel. I can make up my own mind about stuff like that, thanks."

"By the way, I don’t really give a shit about your blithering or your opinions (or even what your definition of the word “believe” is, for example). I just wanted to make a note of your incoherence."

Regardless of intent, PZ does sometimes post lazy or genuinely contentious views. Too often (always?) disagreement is conflated, by the small vocal horde, as an attack on the underlying patriarchy/privilege based model - the one topic definitely off the table on this site.

http://www.edge.org/response-detail/23777

Southern

Post by Southern »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson was awfully prescient in not wanting to get tangled up in the atheist community. He probably would've been accused of rape by now.
Oh, I would've loved to see how the SJW crowd would cope that with the "black man rapist!" racist trope. Bagging on honkies is too easy for them; I would want to see them outside their comfort zone for a while.

(Of course, that's just the lulz option; I actually prefer Mr. Tyson as he is now, away and safe from this bullshit.)

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Gumby wrote:

Didn't we take oolon's racist hat away when he left the pit?

ATTN Newcomers - that smiling turd is usually reserved for Oolon, the everyman's pariah. Oolon was a 'cunt-saying', 'admitted troll', from the pit. His favorite past-time was to troll both sides. He still does it, but he no longer comes here. He flounced sometime after he got PTSD after a freak eyebrow-trimming accident (to this day, lit matches trigger him).

And nothing of value was lost that day. I have pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/JoOO3Rf.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Parody Accountant wrote: Didn't we take oolon's racist hat away when he left the pit?

ATTN Newcomers - that smiling turd is usually reserved for Oolon, the everyman's pariah. Oolon was a 'cunt-saying', 'admitted troll', from the pit. His favorite past-time was to troll both sides. He still does it, but he no longer comes here. He flounced sometime after he got PTSD after a freak eyebrow-trimming accident (to this day, lit matches trigger him).

That reminds me, I have to start preparing the spices for my mutton vindaloo next weekend.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ianfc wrote:A regular commenter on Pharyngula, haven't got ref or quote presently, suggested that much of the present strife is due to a fallout on facebook amongst a group of regular commenters that has resulted in two very hostile groups at Phartngula. I haven't heard about this, can anyone enlighten me.
Too bad I don't have Facebook; popcorn is always good when it's sponsored by PeeZee's Asylum.
homer_eating_popcorn.jpg
(43.38 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Gumby wrote:
I don't know. I think he is granted at least some SJW auto-immunity because he's a brown person.
:o :o :o :o
That's racist. Just because he's black, doesn't mean he has aids. :naughty:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Didn't we take oolon's racist hat away when he left the pit?

I found what oolon was doing all this time after he flounced: preparing for the Olympic Games!

[youtube]KDPTC-yAmgo[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, Abbie, when you have a moment, get this sorted out please: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23932400

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote: ATTN Newcomers - that smiling turd is usually reserved for Oolon, the everyman's pariah. Oolon was a 'cunt-saying', 'admitted troll', from the pit. His favorite past-time was to troll both sides. He still does it, but he no longer comes here. He flounced sometime after he got PTSD after a freak eyebrow-trimming accident (to this day, lit matches trigger him).
Quit turdsplaining, you fuckwitted doucheweasel!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Skep tickle wrote:
Good memory! Yes, in comment #79 (before Roxie's first post)

http://i.imgur.com/vG8XkwM.png?1
Oh, great!

So we have gone from:
PZ Myers wrote:Newb comments are especially useful
to:
PZ Myers wrote:Total troll — a person who has never ever posted here before shows up in a community thread and starts flinging “advice”
In the space of 250ish comments.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Gumby wrote:
:o :o :o :o
That's racist. Just because he's black, doesn't mean he has aids. :naughty:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... c9f658.gif

acathode

Post by acathode »

<snip>
Not even remotely surprising... but still, I'm happy. The main thing that keep driving people away from FTB, straight into the welcoming arms of the pit, is the vicious flaying most newcomers get by the commentariat, usually finalized by PZ bringing out the banhammer. It's really not the actual content of the blogposts that drives most people away, it is instead the toxic tone and the hypocrisy of what goes on in the comment section. How many pitters here didn't get some crucial help seeing through PZ's bullshit by the vicious and unfair treatment they received when they tried to comment? Imagine if PZ had some brains and took some cues from the master peddlers of bullshit, ie. the real cultists and real religions, who treat newcomers with silk gloves and extreme kindness (not screaming angrily at them)?

If Myers had kept his comment sections civil, how empty would the pit be today? How many skeptics would still be eating up his bullshit? How fast would FTB be growing, not shrinking? So yeah... I'm happy PZ is this stupid, they'll continue as usual, and create more and more pitters while simultaneously ensuring the slow death of FTB, as no newcomers are staying and becoming part of the FTB community.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Southern wrote:
Oh, I would've loved to see how the SJW crowd would cope that with the "black man rapist!" racist trope. Bagging on honkies is too easy for them; I would want to see them outside their comfort zone for a while.

(Of course, that's just the lulz option; I actually prefer Mr. Tyson as he is now, away and safe from this bullshit.)
Speaking of being out of your comfort zone accusing a black man of being a rapist...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_daioQefdwDA/R ... search.jpg

An oldie, but it still makes me chuckle.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ianfc wrote:A regular commenter on Pharyngula, haven't got ref or quote presently, suggested that much of the present strife is due to a fallout on facebook amongst a group of regular commenters that has resulted in two very hostile groups at Phartngula. I haven't heard about this, can anyone enlighten me.
Search this thread for "Mattir"

Mattir put up a long post recently on Pharyngula that was her posts in a private Pharyngula or FtB FB page from the prior week or so, mostly about other people's rape claims I think (I didn't read it in detail)

Concern #1 was breach of privacy

Concern #2 was accuracy (someone said she deleted stuff to tailor the message)

I tried searching Mattir at Pharyngula but, not sure why, nothing came up ('nym is different now, but people do refer to her in-thread as "mattir")

*ducks the shouting, gets back to WERK*

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

16bitheretic wrote:Reading some of the recent Pharyngula threads and I came across good ol' Setar:

Setár, genderqueer Elf-Sheriff of Atheism+

31 August 2013 at 2:47 pm (UTC -5)

#285:

t s th hght f nttlmnt t ct s thgh y r llwd t mk whtvr clms y wsh bt n ctvst grp, jst bcs tht grp hs vwpnts y dm “t rdcl”.

dn’t knw wh t ws tht wrngd y. Mnly bcs n n n th fckng frm hs sd jck sht bt nythng y’v mntnd thr. Myb knw sm f th ppl y’r tlkng bt, bt mst lkly knw thm frm bfr + — mstly frm hr, prbbly.

+ hs nthng t d wth yr prsnl dspts. ndrstnd f y dsgr wth + n sm wy, bt tht’s nt fckng lcnc t tss s ndr th bs nd blm s fr whtvr bd sht hppns t y whn lt f s prbbly dn’t vn knw y mr thn s nm n th cmmnts. S <>lv s th fck t f ths, pls.
Seriously? Do I need to start using a fucking translator program to read A+theism people's rants? I'm currently learning my 3rd language, one that has 3 different written scripts, and that shit is easier to make sense of than this headache inducing crap...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... 78797.jpeg
This will help.
http://www.disemvowelment.com/reemvowel.html
It is the height of entitlement to act is though you are allowed to make whatever claims you wish but in activist group just because that group his viewpoints you adam to radical _dn’t_ know who to was that wronged you mainly because in in in the fucking from his said jack shot but anything _y’v_ mentioned there maybe know some of the people _y’r_ talking but but most likely know them from before i i mostly from her probably i his nothing to do with your personal disputes understand of you disagree with i in some way but _tht’s_ not fucking licence to tissue is under the base and blame is for whatever bed shot happens to you when let of is probably _dn’t_ even know you more then is name in the comments is love is the fuck to of this please

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I dunno, Dr. Tyson gets rather friendly with a lady in this. :twisted:

[youtube]QWSLMTS9po8[/youtube]

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Skep tickle wrote:

Mattir put up a long post recently on Pharyngula that was her posts in a private Pharyngula or FtB FB page from the prior week or so, mostly about other people's rape claims I think (I didn't read it in detail)

I tried searching Mattir at Pharyngula but, not sure why, nothing came up ('nym is different now, but people do refer to her in-thread as "mattir")

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... osting.jpg

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:I dunno, Dr. Tyson gets rather friendly with a lady in this. :twisted:

[.youtube]QWSLMTS9po8[/.youtube]
Around 21:45. Don't show the SJW peeps. Their brains might implode.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

When I think of the Slymepit, I imagine a branded stadium filled with popcorn munching spectators, nattering away while watching the game on a field emblazoned with FtB / Skepchick / A+ colours and logos.

Sometimes the game slows, but then it picks up: points are cheered, we boo the goal kickers, injuries occur. Ebb and flow. Eventually, one day it will stop and we'll put the empty beer glasses in the trash and go home.

And then it will occur to us: there was only ever one team on the pitch.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Skep tickle wrote: BTW, I could of course be completely wrong about the order of operations and the time frame. And anything else :)
I apply a similar caveat to my previous post.

The quotes I posted aren't a smoking-gun, proving that Skepchicks misrepresent themselves as tax-exempt. The quotes just show they keep making inaccurate predictions of immanent 501(c)3 status, but don't learn to stop making those predictions:

2 more:
Rebecca Watson
Nov 8, 2006 ... Because Skepchicks, Ltd. is pursuing 501(c)(3) status, technically I really should stay away from politics.
Elyse Anders
Jan 25, 2010 ... If all goes according to plan, by the time our 2011 event happens, Skepchicamp will be a 501(c)3 organization.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

acathode wrote:
<snip>
Not even remotely surprising... but still, I'm happy. The main thing that keep driving people away from FTB, straight into the welcoming arms of the pit, is the vicious flaying most newcomers get by the commentariat, usually finalized by PZ bringing out the banhammer. It's really not the actual content of the blogposts that drives most people away, it is instead the toxic tone and the hypocrisy of what goes on in the comment section. How many pitters here didn't get some crucial help seeing through PZ's bullshit by the vicious and unfair treatment they received when they tried to comment? Imagine if PZ had some brains and took some cues from the master peddlers of bullshit, ie. the real cultists and real religions, who treat newcomers with silk gloves and extreme kindness (not screaming angrily at them)?

If Myers had kept his comment sections civil, how empty would the pit be today? How many skeptics would still be eating up his bullshit? How fast would FTB be growing, not shrinking? So yeah... I'm happy PZ is this stupid, they'll continue as usual, and create more and more pitters while simultaneously ensuring the slow death of FTB, as no newcomers are staying and becoming part of the FTB community.
The commentariat over there is what drove me straight to the 'pit. And this was *after* hearing terrible things about this place.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

This is the the one http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-682486
Alethea H. "Crocoduck" Kuiper-Belt

1 September 2013 at 10:34 pm (UTC -5)

Let me state the current problem as I understand it: there are two groups of regulars, who both see themselves as good feminists, social justice atheists, small-s skeptics and all round decent people. They had a fight on facebook in a private group, and now they apparently hate each other. Rules addressing trolls, MRAs, rape apologists, Slymers and such will not deal with this issue, because neither side is any of those things.

Note: I am a member of that private group. I missed the origin of the original meltdown, but I have since personally chosen a side based on the parties’ subsequent behaviour. I have tried not to let that out here and I do not want to discuss any details here.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:

Boot!!

14 HRS ISN'T UP YET!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Roxie's posts, plus 3 from others in that thread:

I have a radical idea. How about the regular commentariat just be a little kinder to people instead of telling newbs and people they disagree with to “fuck off”, or “go fuck yourself”.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously and see things from the other person’s point of view, at least initially.
@ 200 piegasm: What is the problem with someone having a different opinion anyway? Despite what you say, someone who has a different view on a subject has that opinion. If many people are having an opinion that is different to yours, then maybe you need to reconsider your own opinion.

@203 andrewryan: I agree, this concept of tone trolling is a toxic one, used by regulars as an excuse to be vicious to other commenters who they don’t agree with. It should be dispensed with imo.
I think another big part of this problem is that many of you seem to be trigger happy in labelling anyone who disagrees a ‘troll’, then having fun in piling on. It’s like a clique of bullies in a school playground, not a message board for discussing and debating. Why are you so upset with someone having a different view of things? This is what I don’t understand.
@ 218 Caine: No, ‘Roxie’, what you want is to be unchallenged whenever you say something obviously wrong or stupid. That sort of thing doesn’t fly here.

Dead wrong, You are welcome to your opinion. And I’m not gonna call you stupid or tell you to go fuck yourself. Why are you the arbiter of what is wrong or stupid anyway?

@ 220 Caine: Just get to the fucking point. This thread is not all about Roxie, so spit out what this “different view of things” is, and we can deal with it and be done.

This is a prime example of what is wrong with the commentariat here. You can’t express yourself in a civil or normal way, have to revert to childish taunting like this.
@ 236 piegasm: There are these things known as facts, roxie. They are the opposite of opinions.

The problem is in who is declaring their opinion a “fact”.

“Stop it”

Why do want to shut me down? Who gives you the right to tell me what to do?
Azkyroth wrote:Roxie’s well past the 3 post rule and derailing pretty insistently. Monitors?
A.R. (2 minutes later) wrote:Alert sent.
@ 241 Caine: And Don’t Feed the Trolls is bad fucking science…

The concept isn’t a scientific one in the first place, but the problem I see with it is the labelling of commenters who disagree as trolls, rather than as prople who have a different opinion and responding (or not responding even) accordingly.
@ 244 Azkyroth Roxie’s well past the 3 post rule and derailing pretty insistently. Monitors?

What?? I am totally on topic.
@ 270 piegasm However, the cost of erring in the other direction is that actual trolls are given far too much license to do real harm.

What would be an example of “real harm”? If someone is so prone to psychological or other damage from comments on a blog from someone they don’t know then maybe they shouldn’t be posting there. I’m curious.
Gee, I actually agree with you to some degree piegasm, thank so much for informing the reprehensible fucking asshole that I apparently am of that.
Are there any people though who view the comments section of Pharyngula as their “only source of comfort and support”? Surely there are safe space rape survivor forums for people who are in that situation. I thought this was an atheist blog, not a rape survivor blog.
Ok, I’m trying to understand what this tone troll concept is really about. Does it mean if I’m for instance called a “fucking asshole” by a commenter that disagrees with me, then I can reply in kind and that’s ok?
@ Maureen Brian, John Morales et al

I don’t have a problem with “naughty words” or swearing. I’m a grownup and appreciate it as a way to let off steam or add colour to a narrative, but I don’t see the need to use vile insults and profanity as an unnecessary adjunct to debate, just because you don’t happen to agree.

There seems to be a culture of viciousness here, where it’s seen as cool and wonderful here to call unsuspecting commenters assholes, rape apologists etc and to go fuck themselves etc. I would think most newbs commenting here wouldn’t be used to that sort of treatment, so that immediately puts them at a disadvantage.

[/quote]

Skeptickle:

This deserves a wider audience. It would be a shame for it to get lost in the mists of the Slymepit.

I mean, Myers insists that dissent is welcome, and people only get banned for being trolls. Meanwhile, there are a lot of people saying that they got banned just for disagreeing with or criticizing Myers. It's sort of a he-said/she-said. But the Roxie story is a perfect little case-study of exactly the sort of thing that gets a person banned on Pharyngula. It's got everything; a reasonable person arguing politely, the abuse she ilicits from the regulars, including Myers' own words labelling her as a troll, AND an example of his hypocrisy as he had earlier requested input from newbies.

It's something we should be able to point to for years to come as an example of what's wrong with Pharyngula. Something we can mention whenever someone wants to know if he's really THAT bad. It should be written up as a blog post and preserved. Preferably by one of the larger names that can't stand Myers. Coyne, perhaps?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Gumby wrote:
Southern wrote:

Speaking of being out of your comfort zone accusing a black man of being a rapist...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_daioQefdwDA/R ... search.jpg

An oldie, but it still makes me chuckle.
Didn't Rush Limbaugh once say something about police sketches all resembling Jesse Jackson?

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Southern wrote:Ha! I always knew that Lsuoma is exactly like PZ.
Bullshit! Lsuoma, unlike PZ, has a lovely pair of breasts.

[Oh shit! was that was a misogynist thing to say?!]

:shock:

And he has a great personality! [?]

And, and he's really, really smart! [?]

Linus

Post by Linus »

Darren wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:

3) Post comment

I think the process goes more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/OTKfZty.png
"Another soul saved" needs to be changed to "You're still awful and I hate you and you're not apologizing hard enough"

Darren

Post by Darren »

Barbara Drescher has taken issue on Facebook with some of Sara Mayhew's account of tablegate:
Barbara A. Drescher wrote:Sara's story is about as accurate as Rebecca and Amy's, unfortunately. The tables are clustered, but they're not restricted like that. They moved the table after the staff member responsible for concourse tables told them that there were cancelations on the other side of the room. I was at the table next to them when all of this happened and heard what he said.
and
Barbara A. Drescher wrote:There are more inaccuracies, but I'm not going to pick it apart. It doesn't warrant this kind of attention.
Drescher isn't exactly a Skepchick cheerleader, so personally I'd take her word over Mayhew's.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Darren wrote:Barbara Drescher has taken issue on Facebook with some of Sara Mayhew's account of tablegate:
Barbara A. Drescher wrote:Sara's story is about as accurate as Rebecca and Amy's, unfortunately. The tables are clustered, but they're not restricted like that. They moved the table after the staff member responsible for concourse tables told them that there were cancelations on the other side of the room. I was at the table next to them when all of this happened and heard what he said.
and
Barbara A. Drescher wrote:There are more inaccuracies, but I'm not going to pick it apart. It doesn't warrant this kind of attention.
Drescher isn't exactly a Skepchick cheerleader, so personally I'd take her word over Mayhew's.

The fact they were told of a cancellation does not address the reason why they moved tables. Personally I find it hilarious they were lumped in with big tent skeptics like jref. Kinda sums up their existential confusion.
"Amy then moved her wares to a table in Spacetrack, after discussing the rule, and deciding her jewelry might look more relevant in that area"

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:

Try here:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments
A Surprise to Many (formerly Mattir)

31 August 2013 at 11:54 pm (UTC -5)
Hmmmmm... guess not. Try this Freeze page. It has the huge dump (with names changed by Mattir) of her side of an argument which some people claim has been edited, but they can not prove it because the original thread was deleted:
http://www.freezepage.com/1378116655RTZXGJYQQY
A Surprise to Many (formerly Mattir)

31 August 2013 at 11:54 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Original Thread
7/9/13 11:09 am Original Thread Dog, Barry, massive hugs. And next time I’m on the road to [Boy Scout Camp], I’ll swing your way and give you hugs, food, and booze.
7/9/13 11:14 am Original Thread Tagging Sebastien for insight about how to proceed.
7/9/13 11:49 am Original Thread. Yep. [This was in response to a question about whether daily self-administered stick and poke tattoos would be considered to fall within the category of "cutting" for purposes of psychiatric diagnostics. What I said was correct - it most likely would - but wrong, since I should have responded forcefully and disapprovingly to the speculation about psychiatric diagnoses , which neither I nor Barry started.]
<hella lot of verbiage snipped>
Sorry, the thread, not the comment. But when the ageism thread became, again, a what was wrong with what Surprise/Mattir said and why it is totally acceptable to tell a 70 year old woman [around the time when she was talking about her experiences of rape] to fuck off, then I think I’m okay with saying “this relationship is well and truly over.”
I am not required to devote my time and emotional energy to relationships that demand that I lie about myself for the sake of peace.