Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
sacha

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by sacha »

Guest wrote:
sacha wrote: Not just that, it's the whole marijuana is a gateway drug claim versus how people respond to legal substitute goods versus illegal goods.

So would trying legal marijuana inevitably lead to meth use because marijuana is a gateway and people will strive for illegal but better highs, or will people stick with alcohol and marijuana and illegal meth use will drop off.

completely different high - marijuana and alcohol are depressants. "an illegal, but better high" would lead to mushrooms, perhaps heroin, not meth.
My understanding was that marijuana straddles the hallucinogen / stimulant / depressant border, and that various strains have been developed to push further into one of those qualities.
Wikipedia wrote:While many psychoactive drugs clearly fall into the category of either stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogen, cannabis exhibits a mix of all properties, perhaps leaning the most towards hallucinogenic or psychedelic properties, though with other effects quite pronounced as well.
So my take would be that people looking for a better high could go in any of those directions depending on what part of the experience they liked. Hallucinogens have a lot of stronger options that have been of interest to psychologists before being banned for political reasons (LSD notably), that like marijuana show no tendency to physiological dependence, which might be a logical follow-up.[/quote]

true, I should have mentioned hallucinogens other than mushrooms. Meth is not a hallucinogen.

the only connection to being a hallucinogen is that many people stay awake for days on meth, and sleep deprivation causes hallucinations

Southern

Post by Southern »

sacha wrote:why do we have mods?

I haven't any problem with those chosen, I just do not understand why we would have moderators, as we were always proud of not having any
Well, the only time the mods were needed, Gumbers took off some doxxing that someone posted about oolon's wife. I think everybody agreed it was well done.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:An unfortunate mishap in Herr Myers' laboratory causes more tension in the bunker.

[.youtube]itzLjv0rYcQ[/youtube]

I eagerly anticipate my first DMCA complaint.
Aother winner from Gefan!

What are you going to do when you've used every clip from Downfall? :lol:

sacha

Post by sacha »

Darren wrote:Re: GWW

From some preliminary google searches, it seems the "GWW" referred to in the Heddle quote is a poster from The Panda's Thumb using the 'nym "Great White Wonder". Haven't read any of their stuff. I'm off to bed.

ah, thank you Darren. Girl Writes What is GWW in my brain as well

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

16bitheretic wrote:
Guest wrote:
16bitheretic wrote: Seriously? Do I need to start using a fucking translator program to read A+theism people's rants? I'm currently learning my 3rd language, one that has 3 different written scripts, and that shit is easier to make sense of than this headache inducing crap...
I think he got "disemvowelled", which Peezus does to you if your post pisses him off too much.

Oh...

I haven't paid much attention to the commentary at Pharyngula, not since the time NoelPlum got the banhammer. I wasn't aware that PZ was starting to make his comments sections unreadable.(Not anymore than the regulars already made it anyways)

He's been disemvoweling people since 2007? Maybe a bit earlier. Maybe a bit later. But it's been a long time.

As for Noel Plum, he's been pretty silent lately on YouTube and around the Internet. I wish I'd have been active during his time of activity. He's pretty funny and it'd had probably been funnier if I'd had the context of some his videos and posts.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

16bitheretic wrote:Reading some of the recent Pharyngula threads and I came across good ol' Setar:

Setár, genderqueer Elf-Sheriff of Atheism+

31 August 2013 at 2:47 pm (UTC -5)

#285:

t s th hght f nttlmnt t ct s thgh y r llwd t mk whtvr clms y wsh bt n ctvst grp, jst bcs tht grp hs vwpnts y dm “t rdcl”.

dn’t knw wh t ws tht wrngd y. Mnly bcs n n n th fckng frm hs sd jck sht bt nythng y’v mntnd thr. Myb knw sm f th ppl y’r tlkng bt, bt mst lkly knw thm frm bfr + — mstly frm hr, prbbly.

+ hs nthng t d wth yr prsnl dspts. ndrstnd f y dsgr wth + n sm wy, bt tht’s nt fckng lcnc t tss s ndr th bs nd blm s fr whtvr bd sht hppns t y whn lt f s prbbly dn’t vn knw y mr thn s nm n th cmmnts. S <>lv s th fck t f ths, pls.
Seriously? Do I need to start using a fucking translator program to read A+theism people's rants? I'm currently learning my 3rd language, one that has 3 different written scripts, and that shit is easier to make sense of than this headache inducing crap...

Not to defend Setar but if that was posted on Pharnguwank isn't it possible that PZ has "Dissemvowelled*" his comment?

*Where PZ dazzles us all with his comedy genius by hilariously removing all the vowels from a comment he disagreed with. Probably maintaining a little semi-erection in his pants as he does so.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Gumby wrote:
Tapir wrote:Pharyngula has become the equivalent of past-life regression.

Unsuspecting visitors arrive bright-eyed and bushy-tailed only to discover they were raped twenty years ago.
Yeah. In that "stunned silence" thread someone was wailing about how 20 years ago she used to have regular drunken sex with some guy who she wouldn't have slept with when she was sober. After reading Pharyngula she realized that she had been "raped". Never mind that she got drunk voluntarily and had sex voluntarily. Now she doesn't have to be ashamed of herself for willingly sleeping with some guy who she was repulsed by when sober because of some self-loathing or whatever. Just call it rape and you can transfer all the shame and all the blame away from yourself and onto the man!

Back in my college frat party days, I've woken up next to a few women I never, ever would have slept with when sober. Does that mean I was raped? Of course not. It simply means I was under the influence of inhibition-lowering beer goggles. I did an abashed facefalm, and moved on.

These third-wave feminist idiots who encourage this mentality are doing a lot of damage to women who may have deep-seated psychological issues. When you'd rather pretend you're the victim of a traumatic rape rather than just deal with the slight shame of admitting to yourself that you slept with some guy who repulses you, there's a problem. Because you're taking the easy way out, and not examining the underlying issues that may exist that compel you to sleep with guys you normally wouldn't. (I'm talking about women like the one I referred to in the Pharyngula comments who did/do this kind of thing regularly, not otherwise mentally healthy women who made a bad judgment call once or twice in their lives).

Transferring the shame and blame away from yourself by saying "I was raped" is a way of avoiding whatever psychological issues you may have that cause you to compulsively behave that way in the first place. Women who might benefit from counseling are instead being told "it's not your fault, you had no responsibility because evil man drunk rape". Of course, I am not a mental health professional, so everything I'm opining here should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

It all reminds me of some fundamentalist Christians I have encountered online. Some of them were way messed up people who you wouldn't want living within fifty miles of you. They had more issues than TV Guide, but they are convinced they are perfectly well now, because they have been "saved". Their problems were Satan's doing, not theirs. Of course, the issues they had before their "conversion" are still there in full force. They have to work very hard to pretend to themselves that it was all Satan's fault and Jesus made it all better. Meanwhile, I'm imagining them at their keyboard, trying to type while fighting uncontrollable tics. Religion, like this faultless victim mentality perpetuated by third-wave feminism, keeps people who would benefit from therapy and counseling from seeking it out.
QFT, It all stems from puritanism.

and what if the man was also repulsed by the woman the next morning, and they were both under the influence at the time the sex took place.

so you slept with someone, and you regret it, join the club, take a shower, and move the fuck on

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Gumby wrote:
Gefan wrote:An unfortunate mishap in Herr Myers' laboratory causes more tension in the bunker.

Well, since I hear that "Downfall 2: Electric Boogaloo" is stuck in development hell, I'll have to go off in another direction. However, there is one more "Clownfall" chapter finished and quietly awaiting a legal resolution.

There's another series underway but it's a LOT more complex technically (especially for someone whose technical aptitude gets taxed by anything more complex than a toaster). Fortunately, Parsehole has chipped in with some software advice, though I may wind up needing to recruit voice actors before I'm finished.

windy

Post by windy »

Tapir wrote:Pharyngula has become the equivalent of past-life regression.

Unsuspecting visitors arrive bright-eyed and bushy-tailed only to discover they were raped twenty years ago.
Or that they themselves raped someone, and suddenly remember and 'confess':

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-681729

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Verklagekasper wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/zQRtH56.jpg
Out of date, stupid, and disposable?
A fat bird?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Well, since I hear that "Downfall 2: Electric Boogaloo" is stuck in development hell, I'll have to go off in another direction. However, there is one more "Clownfall" chapter finished and quietly awaiting a legal resolution.

There's another series underway but it's a LOT more complex technically (especially for someone whose technical aptitude gets taxed by anything more complex than a toaster). Fortunately, Parsehole has chipped in with some software advice, though I may wind up needing to recruit voice actors before I'm finished.
Voice actors you say........?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Hunt wrote:Oh for the love of fuck:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... le-female/

Right, in no way is it possible that silly teenage girls could write "teach naked" to a handsome young male teacher. Evidently Myers has forgotten what teens routinely do. Just fucking chill. Why does everything need to be pathologized?
He says:
I can’t even imagine students sexualizing me, so I’d never had to think about how I’d handle such a problem. The Jesus thing? Easy. I just ignore it. But treating me as your own personal sex monkey? Never had to worry about it.
Thanks a bunch, Peezus. :twisted:

Now my own fucking imagination is harassing me!

:doh:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Tribble.
My daughter caught sight of your avatar the other day and won't shut about it. She keeps asking me what they are and can she have one.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Hunt wrote:Oh for the love of fuck:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... le-female/

Right, in no way is it possible that silly teenage girls could write "teach naked" to a handsome young male teacher. Evidently Myers has forgotten what teens routinely do. Just fucking chill. Why does everything need to be pathologized?
He says:
I can’t even imagine students sexualizing me, so I’d never had to think about how I’d handle such a problem. The Jesus thing? Easy. I just ignore it. But treating me as your own personal sex monkey? Never had to worry about it.
Thanks a bunch, Peezus. :twisted:

Now my own fucking imagination is harassing me!

:doh:
A personal sex monkey? Dare I search Google for a picture of that or will the police descend on my house the minute I press the return key?

Ahh fuck it. Here goes.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Gumby wrote:
TheMan wrote:
sacha wrote:why do we have mods?

I haven't any problem with those chosen, I just do not understand why we would have moderators, as we were always proud of not having any
Cause the sun never sets on the Pit and Lsuoma needs a nap
Precisely.

understood and I agree, but Lsuoma himself was against it when mentioned previously.
I don't like the "moderator" title, too many negative connotations. What did he call ERV, Nectar, and myself when he went on holiday and gave us the keys?

Verklagekasper

Post by Verklagekasper »

looool so true...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Verklagekasper wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/zQRtH56.jpg
Out of date, stupid, and disposable?
A fat bird?
Who drew their Skepchick avatars anyway?

Might as well use something that in no way resembles the person.

Like an owl eating a defenseless yellow bird, for example.

sacha

Post by sacha »

another lurker wrote:
sacha wrote:

uh, one is a depressant, one is a hardcore stimulant.
My guess would be that legalising marijuana will have absolutely no effect on methamphetamine sales
I have heard that meth use is also highest in economically depressed areas. Former factory towns whose jobs have now been outsourced to China etc.

yes, it's beneath the *TFB cocaine set. Still associated with skinheads and assorted white trash.

*TRB = trust fund baby

sacha

Post by sacha »

guest wrote:
sacha wrote:
guest wrote: Not just that, it's the whole marijuana is a gateway drug claim versus how people respond to legal substitute goods versus illegal goods.

So would trying legal marijuana inevitably lead to meth use because marijuana is a gateway and people will strive for illegal but better highs, or will people stick with alcohol and marijuana and illegal meth use will drop off.

completely different high - marijuana and alcohol are depressants. "an illegal, but better high" would lead to mushrooms, perhaps heroin, not meth.
My understanding was that marijuana straddles the hallucinogen / stimulant / depressant border, and that various strains have been developed to push further into one of those qualities.
Wikipedia wrote:While many psychoactive drugs clearly fall into the category of either stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogen, cannabis exhibits a mix of all properties, perhaps leaning the most towards hallucinogenic or psychedelic properties, though with other effects quite pronounced as well.
So my take would be that people looking for a better high could go in any of those directions depending on what part of the experience they liked. Hallucinogens have a lot of stronger options that have been of interest to psychologists before being banned for political reasons (LSD notably), that like marijuana show no tendency to physiological dependence, which might be a logical follow-up.
true, I should have mentioned hallucinogens other than mushrooms. Meth is not a hallucinogen.

the only connection to being a hallucinogen is that many people stay awake for days on meth, and sleep deprivation causes hallucinations[/quote]

repaired the quote fail

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote: understood and I agree, but Lsuoma himself was against it when mentioned previously.
I don't like the "moderator" title, too many negative connotations. What did he call ERV, Nectar, and myself when he went on holiday and gave us the keys?
Over at Pharyngula, they're using the word "monitor." ::snerk::

Carrion-eating, unpredictably aggressive lizards with mouths full of septic pathogens sounds about right.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

BarnOwl wrote:
Judging by the quality I'd say SurlyAmy drew hers.
If she can't trace a picture from an existing Namco or Rovio design they end up looking a bit shit.

goddamn 'nym

Post by goddamn 'nym »

another lurker wrote:
[.youtube]YQZy2zCwxR0[/youtube]
Suspicious accidents, undernourishment, sleep deprivation, rape, growth-retarding injections; the stories of young veteran jockeys Rafiq, Nasir, Ronnie, Amirul, Lokmon, Mobarak and Hasan are truly appalling. Desert Riders gives us a shocking look behind the scenes of camel racing in the wealthy United Arab Emirates - a sport that grew from local to international prominence in the 1980s. The need for light jockeys led to a trade in very young, illegally imported children from poor countries such as Sudan, Pakistan and Bangladesh - a modern form of slavery. This documentary chronicles the rise and prohibition of the use of child jockeys, using interviews with former jockeys, local and international children's rights activists, a British photographer, parents, child traffickers and camel farmers. These interviews are intercut with footage showing the atmosphere around camel races, accompanied by an almost omnipresent soundtrack. Unfortunately, the ban has not put an end to their suffering, as children returning to their homes no longer recognize their families, don't speak the language, or are sick. The director of the Camel Race Association simply dismisses all the stories as lies and propaganda. Although the jockeys have now been replaced by robots, it remains unclear whether children still work on the ranches or not.
This was banned 11 years ago so I don't think it is included in the human trafficking statistics from these orgs that we were discussing.

Southern

Post by Southern »

sacha wrote:
understood and I agree, but Lsuoma himself was against it when mentioned previously.
Lsuoma's Bitches?

*duck and run.

Verklagekasper

Tablegate - The Animated Movie

Post by Verklagekasper »

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... the-rules/

Myers gives his commenters an assignment to write the rules

Post by Guest »

sacha wrote:
So my take would be that people looking for a better high could go in any of those directions depending on what part of the experience they liked. Hallucinogens have a lot of stronger options that have been of interest to psychologists before being banned for political reasons (LSD notably), that like marijuana show no tendency to physiological dependence, which might be a logical follow-up.

the only connection to being a hallucinogen is that many people stay awake for days on meth, and sleep deprivation causes hallucinations[/quote]

The main reason methamphetamine causes hallucinations is that it enhances the activity of dopamine, bringing out positive symptoms of psychosis. It isn't a hallucinogen in the way that LSD, psilocin etc. are but you don't need to be sleep deprived to be hallucinating with methamphetamine.

Post by Guest »

Damn BBCode...

some guy

It's true:

Post by some guy »

A fish Rots from the Head down.

Post by Guest »

Verklagekasper wrote: looool so true...
"You're right, Amanda. This is so very true of you.

...to say."

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Well, eh. The main Peezee has never been "sexually harassed" is not that he's male, but that he's fat, old and kind of ugly.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... the-rules/

Myers links to Clarke's Desert Tortoise Rules as some he may consider (the list that repeats, in various ways, the advice that being civil is not important)

Poster #1 (okstop) posts a reply that fits the assignment:
okstop wrote:1) No insults, invective, orders, threats, or value-assessments about anyone in-thread, except in Thunderdome. Period. It’s about the issues, not the people
Poster #2 (in comment #3) links to another site; that's not what Myers asked for.

Myers (in comment #5) points out the fail in comment #3, then adds:
PZM wrote:okstop has the right idea, but I don’t know if I agree that those are rules I want to implement.
(okstop's "right idea" is the form of his/her reply)

Okstop modifies his/her suggestion:
okstop wrote:... Perhaps some modification of the rule, like:

(1′) No comments directed specifically at the character of anyone in-thread with specific support (for instance, “I say you’re a MRA because…,” which shouldn’t be too hard, as they tend to provide ample evidence, more’s the pity for the rest of us), nor should commenters hurl insults or issue orders (such as “fuck off,” “get lost,” etc.). If a commenter legitimately thinks someone shouldn’t be in thread, a mod can be notified.
Maureen Brian provides the in-group response (bolding added by me):
Maureen Brian wrote:Won’t work, okstop!

If someone comes along and, using much the same language, asks the exact same question which has been asked and answered three times already then that person needs to be called out for bad behaviour.

Do you think such people follow even polite requests like, “Please proceed immediately to the Thunderdome thread to receive a full evaluation of your bona fides and competence.” Of course they don’t.

It’s like the time I found my daughter (aged about 4) climbing up the glazing bars of a huge window in a block of flats. The first and urgent priority was to stop her. Detailed analysis of why came a little later.
And NoR gently chides okstop:
NoR wrote:Okstop, have you read Chris Clarke’s ideas? (link in first paragraph of the OP near the bottom). You want civility just for the sake of civility.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dan wrote:She does claim to be drunk
*shocker*

Cunt of Personality wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Dragon Con 2014 cancelled.

Organisers suspect that the fear of being looked at sternly by Greg Laden could result in financially non-viable levels of ticket sales and sponsorship.

A representative of Dragon Con said "Meanwhile, we will make ever effort to find out who Greg Laden is and why the fuck we should care.", adding that "Hopefully we will be able to get back on track for 2015".
Literally spewed coffee.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ä uest wrote:
If you google sex trafficking second largest industry in the world, you'll see that google thinks it may be the second or third largest CRIMINAL industry in the world, but it may be that there are few actual citations for that:

http://rightswork.org/2011/03/is-human- ... d-crime-3/

(I have no idea who/what that organization is.)

Even in your link, that link is to human and sex trafficking. It includes for instance the thousands of workers held practically speaking as slaves in Dubai, building Dubai.

If you believe the rightswork site, human trafficking ($30B) is perhaps half the size of Amazon ($60B). So really really big, but not anywhere close to second largest industry, and that includes human as well as sex trafficking.

http://i.imgur.com/3XLCJfo.jpg

:) I had written an entire post pointing out the BS of the claim. Including the point that a lot of the 'slavery' wasn't even related to sex-trafficking. But I decided to just let it pass and backspaced out... Glad someone else pointed out some of the obvious.

To put $30 billion in perspective, the US GDP is $14.99 TRILLION (USD). The Gross World Product is $71.83 Trillion (USD). I've read estimates of organized crime GWP could easily reach $3 Trillion (USD). In that, the biggest aggregates are: counterfeiting and intellectual property piracy $654 billion; global drug trade $411 billion; financial crimes $194 billion, environmental crimes $138 billion, human trafficking and prostitution $240 billion (trafficking is $32 billion of this is trafficking, prostitution is $187 billion, the rest deals with periphery issues related to both, like human smuggling (coyotes, that sort of thing)).

To put it in perspective, in counterfeiting, one of the sub-categories is counterfeit toys. That's estimated at $34 billion a year. So, not to minimize the human cost, the financial claims vis human trafficking in prostitution are vastly over-stated for political purposes.

So much of this stuff reminds me of the old political bullshit about the Soviets. All the time I grew up, the Soviets were enemy #1 and had, via constantly repeated false claims, this huge, professional military full of Highly-Trained, Well-Equipped, Godless Hordes supported by a gigantic military-industrial-complex ready to invade Europe on any pretext and rape all the women while forcing us to give up religion, capitalism and sovereignty.

What we found out later was the US & European politicians systemically and massively over-stated the Soviet threat and capabilities. The reality was their army was mostly equipped with poorly-trained, drunken conscripts and third-rate, shabby equipment that constantly broke-down and they had horrible production problems within their backwards and grossly-inefficient manufacturing sector.

See also: Missile Gap and Bomber Gap.

Source for the crime numbers (some is drill down): http://www.millennium-project.org/mille ... ll-12.html

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

BarnOwl wrote:
There's a page at skepchick that gives info on the cartoon avatars; it's someone in their community

(Saw it a couple of months ago)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Wait...I know it's a 3-day weekend in the US, but there are only 9 comments at the "How [we] got booted" post at Skepchick?

And 1 is Amy replying to someone (the canary/coal mine comment), 1 is brive1987 (from here), and 1 is a person reporting a problem with the "Contact Us" page?

The others are mildly supportive but none expresses the outrage Watson & Roth probably expected (Laden's "look sternly" is one of these)

(it probably isn't just that all comments are going to moderation, since brive1987's commment got through)

Post by Guest »

Frankly, I'm offended by this gender-specific, cisnormative comment:
m lafontaine

2 September 2013 at 10:14 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Don’t be a dick.

Tulip Eater

Post by Tulip Eater »

Guest wrote:

Frankly, I'm offended by this gender-specific, cisnormative comment:
m lafontaine

2 September 2013 at 10:14 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Don’t be a dick.
Ouch. Such a short comment, and such a deep cut.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

....Aaaaaaannnnnnddddddd, they're off to work! Go! Go! Keep writing!

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... d4d8d4.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Southern wrote:
sacha wrote:
Lsuoma's Bitches?

*duck and run.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 899129.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

That "Lsuoma's Angels" pic is supposed to be the current crop of mods, by the way - not Scented Nectar, Abbie and Sacha.

:shifty:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Voice actors you say........?
Sent you a PM. This could be your big break in the movies.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Before I try to back away from the computer today, couple of thoughts:

A) As atheism+ forum was trying to come up with rules, the first 2 - in the same post, by an admin or mod, as I recall - were:
1. Don't be a dick
2. Don't use gendered insults
Someone finally got The Problem with these 2 through to them, but it took more than a page of trying, persisting through insults & as I recall threats of banning; they changed #1 to "Don't be an ass", which is Steers' cue to weigh in ;)

B) Myers said in the "new commenting rules" (aka "help!!! oh and if you weigh in with something reasonable you'll get dogpiled!") thread that he would re-open Thunderdome thread at 9am today (almost 3 hrs ago now). But it hasn't been reopened (yet).

C) Someone here has suggested that Myers' handwringing about comments is based on lawerly advice. I would guess, instead, that it's due to feedback from people whose opinion he'll listen to - perhaps Clarke, possibly Caine after the Stunned Silence then Thunderdome including gertrud's comments - holding up a (cloudy, cracked) mirror in his general direction (or, at least, in the general direction of his blog's comments - not that his words or tone, oh no never that).

I see no hint that Myers is trying to shut down statements that anyone from outside their clique might be a rapist; those seem to be fine, and in fact the claim about a certain Skeptic has been repeated (by commenters) within the past 2 days on Pharyngula with no cautionary yellow post from Myers. In fact, calling others "rapist" seems to be a new theme there - a progression in calling people who express disagreement, from "misogynist" to "rape apologist" to "oh, so obviously you're a rapist and reading criticism here at Pharyngula makes you feel uncomfortable".

My guess is that the concern is due to the knives coming out for people who might actually need a safe space (Clarke's concern), and/or against commenters Myers values & wants to keep.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Only NOW is PZ listening to counsel. That is so funny. But what really amuses me is that he couldn't guess ahead of time that accusing someone of rape based on an anonymous email wouldn't turn into a legal issue. It really is the definition of the word "stupid". And he's talking like a 12 year old here. I'm so gonna love this lawsuit.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

VAXherd wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Derek Colanduno is host of Skepticality, official podcast of Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptics Society, which Shermer founded.

http://www.skepticality.com/about-us/

But, of course, in his role as policy-enforcer today, Colanduno could have just been responding to complaints lodged by people who'd paid for merchandise tables, as RW says he says he was.
As a slight clarification, Shermer didn't start Skepticality. It was running for about a year before he noticed them, was impressed, and made them official.
Thanks - my comment was unclear, "which Shermer founded" was intended to modify "the Skeptics Society"

Post by Guest »

comslave wrote:
Only NOW is PZ listening to counsel. That is so funny. But what really amuses me is that he couldn't guess ahead of time that accusing someone of rape based on an anonymous email wouldn't turn into a legal issue. It really is the definition of the word "stupid". And he's talking like a 12 year old here. I'm so gonna love this lawsuit.
I love the stupidity in that thread. One brave soul suggests that PZ should probably have consulted counsel before the Grenade post and ten baboons descend upon him/hym/her/hyr/xir/xer because OF COURSE PZ talked to a lawyer BEFORE the Grenade post. Even though it was PERFECTLY CLEAR that he did nothing of the sort because he only asked for help from Popehat AFTER Shermer's counsel sent the C&D.

Are they dumb because they have short memories? Or do they have no memories because they're dumb? Good luck trying to fix things in that mental ward.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

sacha wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: I have given Gumbers, Greggers (where the fuck is he?) and Anerisers, the power to change avatars, to fix parking tickets, and get themselves elected May Queen.

Two free worthless gifts on offer here for answering these questions:

1. Where do the three powers get mentioned together?
2. What is the connection between May Queen and Dulwich?

I lived in Dulwich for a little while, a long time ago
I think he was saying 'MAYDAY' like, as in - "FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! BOUT TO DIE" in a reference to either the pit, just in case Lsuoma bails. Or it's a reference to one of the many ongoing epic fails in the FTB/A+/Skepchuck scene.

But once again, he said that he promised the sun would rise. It didn't. It stayed pretty much where it has been. The world spun.

I liked it better the first way I said it though, referencing the Flaming Lips 'Do You Realize' (their best song, IMO).

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

zenbabe wrote:
Delicious! David Heddle had PZ's number eight freaking years ago. What a relief to see this (yes I might be falling prey to confirmation bias), since so far, most here have said they enjoyed PZ's posts at one time, and (based on what I've read in the past few months) I haven't been able to fathom why he was ever popular.

*Cheers* Heddle, whoever you are.

Great find Skeptickle :)
Oh, a blast-from-the-past. I had a go-around or two with him during Kitzmiller v Dover at Panda's Thumb. He's an OEC/ID-type creationist if memory serves me correct. However, while he's delusional about how the universe came about and his spiritual beliefs, he's not stupid:
Dr. David Heddle

Associate Professor (Christopher Newport University)

B.S., M.S., Ph.D, Carnegie Mellon

Teaching Responsibilities:
Physics and Computer Science

Research Interests:
Nuclear Physics, Data Visualization, Data Analysis
He was also rather polite most of the time. Even if he was tiresome.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

bovarchist wrote:
Ä uest wrote: I'm always so slow at these things.

Are you suggesting Flewellyn may have left or been banned at atheism+??

(If so, I think I am duty bound to warn of upcoming tsunamic froth....) (if guys can froth.)
guys can froth, Dr. Slymey T Skeptickle said so. WELL PLAYED. bwahahahaha.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
*snip*

Perhaps Phil, our resident metalhead, can enlighten us.
Is there some obscure branch of Scandinavian death metal that is pro-nazi?
Yes, there is. It's a minority, but a very stupid and visible one (at least, to those who follow what's going on in Metal circles). And not only in Scandinavia. When I was younger (around 16) I used to hang out with extreme black metal fans, since that's what I liked at the time. Those people were fucking batshit insane. Satanists/neo-nazi. They also were around 16, and those who didn't commit suicide or were committed to an institute moved away from that bullshit.

As far as racism goes, I have never witnessed any form of it in the people I work/hang out with in the Metal industry, save maybe for one of my ex managers, but he was from Denmark, so this might explain that... :whistle:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Oh my, two more $500 donations to Michael Shermer's legal fund, total currently at $6445.

I guess he won't have to sell that bicycle after all :lol:

Supertroy

Post by Supertroy »

bovarchist wrote:The soundtrack to Rebecca's brain....

[youtube]YRg6CgxM0T8[/youtube]
Almost Live. Fucking brilliant. God, I miss that show.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... the-rules/

Lol. As Skep tickle pointed out, okstop makes the standard reasonable, common-sense suggestion that would immediately improve the tone around Pharyngula and stop most of the obnoxious bile-spewing at newbies.

And proceeds to get insulted. They're all bitching at okstop because:
okstop’s rule would basically eviscerate the character of this blog’s handling of MRAs and trolls.
Okstop, there are people who need to be told to fuck off.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

okstop points out that the PZ method of "handling" trolls doesn't actually do anything to them.
a) That the best way to accomplish getting rid of these people is for them to be excised swiftly and surely from the thread by mods.

b) That the practice of hurling invective at them, while fun and certainly justified, is part of what is creating an unpleasant atmosphere, even for people who are not targets of this invective (it “primes the pump,” if you will, for a rough tone).

c) Said invective does not accomplish its ostensible goal of changing their behavior or getting them to leave.
Or how about this person, I think I see another incognito PITTER at work:
one suggestion would be to ban people from automatically concluding that anyone posting and defending a different opinion is necessarily doing so dishonestly. If you want Pharyngula to be a place where issues can be discussed you need to accept that someone can honestly hold a different opinion. Having the discussion continually derailed into whether or not you are being honest is tiresome.
Hey now, that sounds a lot like freeze peach!

I can't stop laughing at how lazy PZ and crew are. Every time they need to change something to fix a problem, they ask their rabid SJW audience to do it for them.
http://i.imgur.com/QsV8Y3J.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

comslave wrote:
His understanding seems to be that HE shouldn't discuss it...but that it's fine if he lets other people comment, including letting them repeat the original claim that a specific person committed a specific crime (and to extend that to a claim that that specific person has repeatedly done committed that specific crime) - while banning as "rape apologists" those who question the claim(s), and deleting their comments.

It would be interesting to know whether or not his lawyers had that approach in mind when they gave him advice.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Talk about pissing into the wind - from the "assignment, write the rules" thread at Pharyngula, an infrequent commenter offers this (in the middle of a longer post offering his/her opinion):

"If you want Pharyngula to be a place where issues can be discussed you need to accept that someone can honestly hold a different opinion."

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
*snip*

Perhaps Phil, our resident metalhead, can enlighten us.
Is there some obscure branch of Scandinavian death metal that is pro-nazi?
Yes, there is. It's a minority, but a very stupid and visible one (at least, to those who follow what's going on in Metal circles). And not only in Scandinavia. When I was younger (around 16) I used to hang out with extreme black metal fans, since that's what I liked at the time. Those people were fucking batshit insane. Satanists/neo-nazi. They also were around 16, and those who didn't commit suicide or were committed to an institute moved away from that bullshit.

As far as racism goes, I have never witnessed any form of it in the people I work/hang out with in the Metal industry, save maybe for one of my ex managers, but he was from Denmark, so this might explain that... :whistle:
[youtube]xBMMe5ziHX8[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle wrote:Talk about pissing into the wind - from the "assignment, write the rules" thread at Pharyngula, an infrequent commenter offers this (in the middle of a longer post offering his/her opinion):

"If you want Pharyngula to be a place where issues can be discussed you need to accept that someone can honestly hold a different opinion."
Ninja'ed by James Caruthers!

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Gumby wrote:Oh my, two more $500 donations to Michael Shermer's legal fund, total currently at $6445.

It's so... beautiful...

Might Lancelot and Dogberry be the same person matching the $1000, or two friends popping in to match one another and the $1000? Both accounts have no other activity but their $500 donations, one hour ago. Why does this interest me? I dunno. I just love watching the number climb. And as a lowly peon who could only afford to drop $5, that others can put down this much makes me buggy eyed.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Gumby wrote:Oh my, two more $500 donations to Michael Shermer's legal fund, total currently at $6445.

Both minor Shakespearean characters occasionally concerned with justice, though generally speaking, playing the roles of fools:

Dogberry: "Marry, sir, they have committed false report; moreover, they have spoken untruths; secondarily, they are slanders; sixth and lastly, they have belied a lady; thirdly, they have verified unjust things; and, to conclude, they are lying knaves."

Lancelot Gobbo: "Give me your blessing: truth will come to light, murder cannot be hid long, a man's son may, but in the end truth will out."

And both, coincidentally, have posted against the shameful accusations at FTB.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Supertroy wrote:
bovarchist wrote:The soundtrack to Rebecca's brain....

[youtube]YRg6CgxM0T8[/youtube]
Almost Live. Fucking brilliant. God, I miss that show.
It was brilliant. Lots of memorable sketches.

Launched Bill Nye, too.