Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Steersman »

LurkerPerson wrote:Do the A+ numbers take into account all banned accounts? And the pits has had anonymous guest retards like myself since day one, those probably don't count as members, further skewing the numbers.
Good question, but I was more focused on the total number of posts rather than the number of members.

Although that is of some interest too - it would be interesting to know the number of unique IP addresses which have passed through each watering hole.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote: It's music. Everyone likes their thing. I never quite understood the endless beatles wanking, and a major chunk of Jimi Hendrix leaves me cold.
I can appreciate both early and later Beatles. I can also, to some extend, appreciate the virtuosity of Hendrix. But I get really tired of aging hippies flipping out on me when I tell them I don't think Hendrix was the most awesome motherfucking thing ever. It's like I called their god a fag or something.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Ä uest wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Badger3k wrote: I read somewhere that it's a hipster thing. It's supposed to be emphasizing every word or some shit, but it just looks like pretentious doucheweasels to most people.
Calling people 'doucheweasels'? I read somewhere that it's a hipster thing.
August 15, 2013 (like this guy wrote this article just for you!)

http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca ... rope-ever/
Actually, I was thinking more of this

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

OK this is good.

I did what I said, I sent a brief note to Scott Alan Roberts, the organizer of that Paradigm Symposium woofest that Myers has been invited to, saying I wouldn't give my money to anything Myers was involved with. Today, I got this reply. It's....

..it's just adorable, is what it is.
Scott Alan Roberts wrote: Hi Steve,
Thanks for writing and expressing your thoughts.

The reason I invited Myers was because we had a debate at another conference, and I invited him to come speak at Paradigm.

At Intrepid-Paradigm, we are all about ideas and bridging gaps. I want people to see what is being said on the other side of the fence - without building the kid of walls put up by academia and skeptical scientists, like Myers.

If I dropped any one speaker on the basis of someone not liking what they represent, I'd have no speakers at all. The point we are attempting to make is that even with people like PZ Myers, there are bridges that can be built. At the very least, it will let people see the brand of thinking that exists in the "other camps."

The bottom line is that you can come to PS2013 and here 18 other speakers that might be more aligned with your thinking. You can choose to not attend PZ Myers' presentation. However, if you choose to not come on the basis of one speaker, look at all the phenomenal information you would be missing: on one side of the scale, you have PZ Myers; on the other side you have Robert Bauval, Scott Wolter, Dr. Robert Schoch, L.A. Marzulli, Dr. John Ward, Micah Hanks, Laird Scranton, Nick Redfern, David Weatherly, Marie D. Jones, larry Flaxman, Anthoiny F. Sanchez, Christopher O'Brian, Thomas Fusco, Fr. Jack Ashcraft, Dr. John DeSalvo - and ME! haha.

What we are getting into bed with, here, is diverse ideas and bridging gaps. Myers is certainly the "black sheep" of the lot, and I think people having the opportunity to hear what he stands for from his own mouth will help them determine whether what the man has to say is worthwhile.

Bring your thinking cap.

I hope you will be here to enjoy, grow and expand your thinking. its going to be amazing.

Cheers!
Scotty
Shine on, you crazy diamond, shine on. I'm sure the ground will be your friend.

And then, five minutes later, he sends this postscript:
Scott Alan Roberts wrote: And, by the way, Steve, we know a helluva lot about PZ Myers, and your opinion of him is correct.

Scotty
Here's hoping he knows that someone at that conference is getting accused of rape by an angry bleating mob. Maybe him!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Kareem wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I never really paid attention to the lyrics of Led Zepplin before. They are more banal than I thought when I couldn't understand what they are saying. Kind of like a drunk and even more pretentious version of Rush.

Holy fuck, I hate Led Zepplin.
:o 'sniff
Even Ten Years Gone? Who can hate Ten Years Gone?
[.youtube]jYpydtdlWxA[/youtube]
Great tune. Zep was my favorite band for years, but nowadays I tend to listen to their tunes that haven't been killed to death on the radio for decades. This is one of them.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I like it:
Fascist (tit) fits with the downfall parodies and is "war" by another name.

Thoughts?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

welch wrote:
It's music. Everyone likes their thing. I never quite understood the endless beatles wanking, and a major chunk of Jimi Hendrix leaves me cold.
You know, I kind of feel the same way about the Beatles. Every album seems to have two or three absolutely brilliant, immortal songs, and a shitload of filler.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Hmm wrote:How about calling it 'Rape Hunts', like witch hunts.

And of course, 'Pussy Riot' is taken...

Tribble

Re: Vic Stenger speaks against Atheism+

Post by Tribble »

justinvacula wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-st ... 57729.html

From a recent interview with Vic Stenger:

The 'atheism+' movement is starting to gather momentum and divide opinion - what are your thoughts on this idea?
I think it's a bad idea for the atheist movement to take up other causes, worthy as they may be, which already have plenty of organized support. I have been very disappointed to see this development. It detracts from the mission of fighting against magical thinking and we are still severely limited in resources, especially compared with what religion can throw at us.

That's what Thunderf00t said. We have limited resources. We have a diverse community who do not all believe the same things apart from being atheists. Other social movements, like feminism, really don't need us.

Two years later Myers is destroying the community with hearsay evidence and bullying tactics because he 'has a cause.'

Post by Guest »

real horrorshow wrote: Actually, I was thinking more of this
Sorry, think of it as the answer you needed, just not the answer you wanted....?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

yomomma wrote:
I assure you, I have children older than 13. I quickly registered again under "yomomma" after realizing my error, but when "Phoebe" was approved, I stuck with that because she's a character from my favorite book. I'm guessing (which is proof, because I'm the victim) that the admin realized that "Phoebe" was erroneously approved and thus, banned me.

So, that's my rather mundane story.
Only Begotten Daughter?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

bovarchist wrote: PS: #clownfall.
Oh fuck it, I think we have a winner.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Ericb wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:PZ just recruited a new FtBer, Alex Gabriel.

http://www.freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness

I love the T & A adds. So feminist.
Holyshit!!!!! He's the dumbass who wrote this: http://heresyclub.com/2013/08/yes-richa ... re-racist/

He joined the sinking ship at the right time.
Ah, the idiot who conflates religion and race because (I'm guessing) he's so fucking ignorant he thinks all Muslims are Arabs. He'll fit right in.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

John Greg wrote:Welchy said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 87#p119187):
Rock music more than almost any other genre is theft writ large. It's always been that way, and I doubt it will change.
Interestingly enough, that was also the case in classical music -- you know, Bach, Mozart, that bunch. Though, they called it "borrowing from their mentors".
Or in Bach's case, from a retired Time Lord.

real horrorshow

Tribble wrote:
Phoebe_Caulfield wrote:Oh, and why is being hyperskeptic a bad thing? I don't get it.
Hyperskepticism is, essentially, refusing to accept evidence regardless of the quality of the evidence.
Well, that's what it really means. In PZ Myers' World of Babblyboons, it means applying a normal level of scepticism to something which they have arbitrarily declared to be true. e.g. "We live in a Rape Culture."

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Mykeru wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:The only scandal that ever needed the "-gate" suffix is Water-fucking-gate. If you call anything a "-gate" you should be beaten about the kidneys until you piss blood.
This is very true. Point well taken.

Can we just call it the "Freethought Blogs Rape Hysteria". That'll piss them off. It's a hysteria, a witch hunt, quite frankly, what is happening fits the framework of a moral panic to a T.

Atheism + Moral Panic
Well, that really doesn't nicely into a hashtag that needs to be squeezed into a tweet containing less than 140 characters...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

yomomma wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Phoebe_Caulfield wrote:Oh, and why is being hyperskeptic a bad thing? I don't get it.
Hyperskepticism is, essentially, refusing to accept evidence regardless of the quality of the evidence.
Ah. I thought it meant extremely skeptical.

I find that kind of ironic though, given the level of their confirmation bias.
Tribble's definition is spot on. The FtB crowd levels the charge of "hyperskepticism" as soon as someone doesn't immediately lap up whatever they spew. For example, we're "hyperskeptical" because we don't accept second-hand hearsay as acceptable evidence for publicly calling Michael Shermer a rapist. They use Tribble's definition, it's just that they throw out unsubstantiated bullshit and call it "evidence" (See: Nerd of Redhead in any given comment). Then when they are called on it using normal skepticism, that's when the charge of "hyperskepticism" gets tossed about. Of course, when they want YOU to provide evidence of something, they want every goddamned reference and ibid under the sun.

So, for the FtB moonbats, hyperskepticism is simply everyday ordinary skepticism applied to their pet causes. It's one of their way of silencing people who are trying to use skepticism to vet the validity of a statement or belief. Other methods include the "privilege" and "ableist" arguments.

They toss this shit around as an avoidance mechanism and as a way to make themselves appear smart. Much like when a creationist throws around the word "thermodynamics" like they know fuck-all what it's about.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

real horrorshow wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Cold wrote:Why. Do. They. Have. To. Type. Like. This?

Jesus fuck, the attempt at being cutely indignant hurts my eyes.
I read somewhere that it's a hipster thing. It's supposed to be emphasizing every word or some shit, but it just looks like pretentious doucheweasels to most people.
Calling people 'doucheweasels'? I read somewhere that it's a hipster thing.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my knife. Seppuku! I have shamed my ancestors and everyone I know!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Southern wrote: And there's where I part ways with the skeptics movement. All this rape and mysoginy I can tolerate, but someone hating on Led Zeppelin? I'm so stressed and shocked, I developed PSTD. Guys, don't do that.

At least I'll have my blog and all the avid donators.
You won't be missed, fucktard. I suspect your "Zep" fetish makes you an MRA-sympathizer. As we know, all that dope-smoking hair rock was inherently paternalistic and rapey. Fuck you. Die in a fire.

http://betterpropaganda.com/images/artw ... rs_480.jpg

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

bovarchist wrote:OK this is good.

I did what I said, I sent a brief note to Scott Alan Roberts, the organizer of that Paradigm Symposium woofest that Myers has been invited to, saying I wouldn't give my money to anything Myers was involved with. Today, I got this reply. It's....

Scott Alan Roberts wrote: Hi Steve,
Thanks for writing and expressing your thoughts.

The reason I invited Myers was because we had a debate at another conference, and I invited him to come speak at Paradigm.

At Intrepid-Paradigm, we are all about ideas and bridging gaps. I want people to see what is being said on the other side of the fence - without building the kid of walls put up by academia and skeptical scientists, like Myers.

If I dropped any one speaker on the basis of someone not liking what they represent, I'd have no speakers at all. The point we are attempting to make is that even with people like PZ Myers, there are bridges that can be built. At the very least, it will let people see the brand of thinking that exists in the "other camps."

etc
I like that dude. They ambushed him at Skepchickcon, and he took it with good humor. Whatever I would have a lot of fun talking about viruses/origin of life with 'alien' people.

Cold

Post by Cold »

Tribble wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Ericb wrote:

I love the T & A adds. So feminist.
Holyshit!!!!! He's the dumbass who wrote this: http://heresyclub.com/2013/08/yes-richa ... re-racist/

He joined the sinking ship at the right time.
Ah, the idiot who conflates religion and race because (I'm guessing) he's so fucking ignorant he thinks all Muslims are Arabs. He'll fit right in.
I read it in this voice:

http://www.pr-squared.com/wp-content/up ... rBurns.gif

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Jan Steen wrote:This tells you all you need to know about Alex Gabriel.
I first encountered things like feminism and social justice largely through the atheist scene – I came of age reading Skepchick, Butterflies and Wheels and Greta Christina’s Blog – and I think it’s valuable, vital in fact, to view our movement through those kinds of frameworks. I’m not convinced, though, that it’s enough to switch between discourses as I’ve found myself doing; to blog on atheism some days and queerness others. The most exciting thoughts I’ve had in skepticism have been listening to Pragna Patel, Sikivu Hutchinson or Natalie Reed, in whose work secularity and social justice collide and complete, coherent modes of thinking germinate which speak to both.
Just another pretentious, third rate moron who can't write and who can safely be ignored.
H/sh/it came of age reading Skepchick, Butterflies and Wheels and Greta Christina’s Blog?

The next generation is in safe hands.

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Mykeru wrote: I never really paid attention to the lyrics of Led Zepplin before. They are more banal than I thought when I couldn't understand what they are saying. Kind of like a drunk and even more pretentious version of Rush.

I've been a fan of your youtube channel for about a year now.

After reading your comments about Rush and Led Zeppelin, I now realize that you're bigoted against all non-American bands, you're racist, homophobic and hate kittens.

Oh, and my brain feels raped by your comments and now I have PTSD. I'm going to blog about how you raped me. :P

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

zenbabe wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: Yeah, I know, I was yanking the chains of the cognoscenti Incidentally I remember various non-privileged Horde people discussing their favorite single malts on Pharyngula once, with one genius stating that it should only only be drunk with spring water from the source used to make the mash.
Totally derped that for you, apologies Punt.

Fingergate?
Congate?
Hysteriagate?
Groupthinkgate?
Weirdlyhardtogategate?
Heh, nothing to apologize for.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

yomomma wrote:OT: Who are the moderators/admins here? Just an FYI: I was Phoebe Caulfield but then I think I was banned. I think it was due to my accidentally clicking on the button that flagged me as under 13 when I registered (jailbate!). I got an email saying I had to have my parents sign a waiver to allow me to post here. One of my parents is in a nursing home, so that should be interesting. I'm not even sure she knows what the Internet is.

I assure you, I have children older than 13. I quickly registered again under "yomomma" after realizing my error, but when "Phoebe" was approved, I stuck with that because she's a character from my favorite book. I'm guessing (which is proof, because I'm the victim) that the admin realized that "Phoebe" was erroneously approved and thus, banned me.

Lsuoma is the one you'd need to ask directly. He's the admin here.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Guestinavest wrote:Hi Slymepit - long time lurker here. Just wanted to share this slice of Alex Garbliel getting rapidly pwned by PETER hitchens. He starts at 13:30 and within 2 minutes gets stopped by the chair a few times. It's fucking unbearable

http://media.premier.org.uk/unbelievabl ... fdfb2d.mp3
It ain't often you come across someone who is more of an irritating arsehole than Peter Hitchens. Step forward Alex Gabriel. What a shitstain - he has ALL the qualities of becoming a leading Baboon.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Cunning Punt wrote:
I first encountered things like feminism and social justice largely through the atheist scene – I came of age reading Skepchick, Butterflies and Wheels and Greta Christina’s Blog – and I think it’s valuable, vital in fact, to view our movement through those kinds of frameworks. I’m not convinced, though, that it’s enough to switch between discourses as I’ve found myself doing; to blog on atheism some days and queerness others. The most exciting thoughts I’ve had in skepticism have been listening to Pragna Patel, Sikivu Hutchinson or Natalie Reed, in whose work secularity and social justice collide and complete, coherent modes of thinking germinate which speak to both.
Just another pretentious, third rate moron who can't write and who can safely be ignored.
H/sh/it came of age reading Skepchick, Butterflies and Wheels and Greta Christina’s Blog?

"Coming of age" = when his fragile little mind was raped by those individuals, and since he now has PTSD and Stockholm syndrome, he identifies with his attackers.

Or maybe "coming of age" = "staying a perpetual teenager, with all the critical thinking skills of the average thirteen year old". Something like that.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Steersman wrote:
LurkerPerson wrote:Do the A+ numbers take into account all banned accounts? And the pits has had anonymous guest retards like myself since day one, those probably don't count as members, further skewing the numbers.
Good question, but I was more focused on the total number of posts rather than the number of members.

Although that is of some interest too - it would be interesting to know the number of unique IP addresses which have passed through each watering hole.
I signed up there... never got banned. Just got bored.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

John Greg wrote:Welchy said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 87#p119187):
Rock music more than almost any other genre is theft writ large. It's always been that way, and I doubt it will change.
Interestingly enough, that was also the case in classical music -- you know, Bach, Mozart, that bunch. Though, they called it "borrowing from their mentors".

I have some slight education in music history and theory, and I'm pretty sure most artists or at least art historians agree that what is now called "stealing" or "copyright infringement" is simply the way that the vast majority of art is and always has been created. Everyone takes from what has come before, hopefully adding to it and making it their own, relevant to new times and new audiences. There is nothing truly "original", there are only twelve notes, for fucks sake. Now, taking someone's exact chords, timing, lyrics, and calling it your own original is stealing....but some of what Led Zeppelin did (and what blues and folk artists do all the damn time since the dawn of man) is more of an "inspired by" sort of thing. A re-working, a re-imagining, sometimes bearing little resemblance to the earlier work.

Some artists even go so far as to say that extending copyright to the levels we have is closer to "stealing", as it pretends to ownership that is not real and chokes off the supply of material that can be incorporated into new works, generally for the benefit of non-producers, even long after the death of the "original" artist.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Cunning Punt wrote:

Damn, I forgot - I should have also said, if he's representative, he might be the last generation.

acathode

Post by acathode »

bovarchist wrote:OK this is good.

Scott Alan Roberts wrote: <snip>The point we are attempting to make is that even with people like PZ Myers, there are bridges that can be built.<snip>
Shine on, you crazy diamond, shine on. I'm sure the ground will be your friend.
Inviting Peezus to try to build bridges? Oh what a sweet naive fool, PZ burns bridges, he doesn't build them.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

LonLon wrote:
Gumby wrote:
JustAtheist wrote:Winegate seems like the most appropriate
Since this is about people accusing Michael Shermer of being a drooling sex fiend who takes his booty by force, I suggest "Tailgate".[/quote

How about something that sounds a bit more earth-shatteringly cataclysmic, "Rape-Quake 2013"
How about "Shermergate-Rapequake 2013"?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Mykeru wrote:
Now I've heard 'Clownfall', I can't imagine it being anything else.

Cold

Post by Cold »

nippletwister wrote:

I have some slight education in music history and theory, and I'm pretty sure most artists or at least art historians agree that what is now called "stealing" or "copyright infringement" is simply the way that the vast majority of art is and always has been created. Everyone takes from what has come before, hopefully adding to it and making it their own, relevant to new times and new audiences. There is nothing truly "original", there are only twelve notes, for fucks sake. Now, taking someone's exact chords, timing, lyrics, and calling it your own original is stealing....but some of what Led Zeppelin did (and what blues and folk artists do all the damn time since the dawn of man) is more of an "inspired by" sort of thing. A re-working, a re-imagining, sometimes bearing little resemblance to the earlier work.

Some artists even go so far as to say that extending copyright to the levels we have is closer to "stealing", as it pretends to ownership that is not real and chokes off the supply of material that can be incorporated into new works, generally for the benefit of non-producers, even long after the death of the "original" artist.
I agree. Art generally boils down to theft; you take shit from the world around you and put your own personal twist on it.

Even though music and art in general is completely subjective and therefore subject to the different tastes of different people, a (completely subjective) case can be made for bands like Led Zeppelin. Regardless of being overplayed or whatever, I personally think that some of the songs that they are accused of plagiarized were made better by being stolen by Led Zeppelin. For example Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is, by many order of magnitudes, the best rendition of that folk song, and going through the list and comparing the Blues originals with the Led Zep plagiarized versions, it's clear that this is the case with a majority of the songs.

Now on the other hand we have modern hip-hop, which is the logical conclusion to the plagiarism started by the earliest creators of music. Folk artists traded renditions of songs, classical composers stole from each other, dadrock bands stole from poor Blues musicians, and now you have sampling and "biting" in rap. Some of it's okay, but once and a while you get people like Will.I.Am taking a classic rock song or even modern-day electronic songs, not crediting the original artist, and turning it into a pile of steaming shit. At least Led Zeppelin had the artistic integrity to make their plagiarism sound at least as good as the original.

Thanks, Will.

real horrorshow

Badger3k wrote: Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my knife. Seppuku! I have shamed my ancestors and everyone I know!
Nonsense, it just means you have something in common with Caine Tete du Merde that's all... I'll get me sword.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Cold wrote:At least Led Zeppelin had the artistic integrity to make their plagiarism sound at least as good as the original.

Thanks, Will.
I love Zep, but Bukka White's Shake 'Em On Down is about a thousand times better than Hats Off To Harper.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Is it me, or does this tweet have a double meaning?

Cold

Post by Cold »

bhoytony wrote:
Cold wrote:At least Led Zeppelin had the artistic integrity to make their plagiarism sound at least as good as the original.

Thanks, Will.
I love Zep, but Bukka White's Shake 'Em On Down is about a thousand times better than Hats Off To Harper.
I'm probably biased because the Zep version is the version I heard first, but they're about equal to me. Both enjoyable.

But who really gives a fuck, music taste is subjective. Which coincidentally doesn't stop me from mocking fans of shitty music.

It's like I know better, but I just don't care!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

yomomma wrote:OT: Who are the moderators/admins here? Just an FYI: I was Phoebe Caulfield but then I think I was banned. I think it was due to my accidentally clicking on the button that flagged me as under 13 when I registered (jailbate!). I got an email saying I had to have my parents sign a waiver to allow me to post here. One of my parents is in a nursing home, so that should be interesting. I'm not even sure she knows what the Internet is.

Bottom line - ensure you read the signup page and make sure you click the right boxes and don't click the wrong ones.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Early Cuyler wrote:
After reading your comments about Rush and Led Zeppelin, I now realize that you're bigoted against all non-American bands, you're racist, homophobic and hate kittens.
Yes, so?
Oh, and my brain feels raped by your comments and now I have PTSD

Good. No one likes you, especially your mother and father (note: that's not your "real" dad) and you deserve to suffer.
I'm going to blog about how you raped me. :P
If you don't need stitches, it didn't happen.

real horrorshow

Cunning Punt wrote:

Oh, it gets better:
The most exciting thoughts I’ve had in skepticism have been listening to Pragna Patel, Sikivu Hutchinson or Natalie Reed, in whose work secularity and social justice collide and complete, coherent modes of thinking germinate which speak to both...blargle glarble bibble wibble etc.
If Sikuvu Hutchinson had her way, you and every other 'blue-eyed white devil' on the planet would be taking a Zyklon shower tomorrow you fucking hump!

I don't think Natalie "Die Cis-Scum" Reed has a place for you in her New World Order either.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Likewise – at least generally speaking.

I had had a somewhat interesting and productive discussion with several of “The Horde!!” – Sally Strange, and Jadehawk among others – about a year ago on the topic of Feminism vs. Mens’ Rights, but never bothered to go back there much after that. All of the banning and threadlocking and overly draconian moderation really weren’t much of a draw. But I think all of that highlights some very contradictory perspectives, the elucidation and clarification of which aren’t helped much by those policies.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Will Adele be singing the theme song? Looking at the lyrics you'd just have to replace Skyfall with Clownfall.
This is the end
Hold your breath and count to ten

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I don't have photoshop and am just learning video editing, but I can see the beginning of James Bond (the iconic walk and shoot) with PZ Myers face on Bond. In the background, Shirley Bassey sings (ok, sue me, I like them all, but the older have more memories). Maybe Tom Jones.

At least, that's how he sees himself.

welch

Post by welch »

bhoytony wrote:RE: Led Zep ripping off old blues performers. What people don't like to admit is that most of those old guys were ripping everybody off themselves. That list that was posted gives Nobody's Fault But Mine as a Blind Willie Johnson song, but it was being peformed long before Johnson made the first recording of it. If you look at Robert Johnson's recordings you can trace them back to earlier songs by the likes of Blind Willie Newbern, Son House and Skip James. They were all doing it, that's how it worked. one song could be recorded in slightly different versions under new names by several artists. It's not hard to find this stuff out, it's common knowledge.
Pretty much. It was common practice. You'd hear a song you liked, change it a bit, personalize it, change the name and it was yours.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

This calls for some Sagan:

"Science is more than a body of knowledge: It’s a way of thinking; a way of skeptically interrogating the universe. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we’re up for grabs for the next charlatan, political or religious, who comes ambling along.”

and from Contact
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.

welch

Post by welch »

Unsurprising, although I'm not familiar enough with the details of classical to have said it happened. You're a musician, you hear a bit you like, you figure out a new way to use it.

JustAtheist

Post by JustAtheist »

BillHamp wrote:This calls for some Sagan:

"Science is more than a body of knowledge: It’s a way of thinking; a way of skeptically interrogating the universe. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we’re up for grabs for the next charlatan, political or religious, who comes ambling along.”

and from Contact
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
Deep Seeded.. deep seated means they have fat asses

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
A great example is the one I use a lot: Dave Chappelle's R. Kelly bit.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Badger3k wrote:
I don't have photoshop and am just learning video editing, but I can see the beginning of James Bond (the iconic walk and shoot) with PZ Myers face on Bond. In the background, Shirley Bassey sings (ok, sue me, I like them all, but the older have more memories). Maybe Tom Jones.

At least, that's how he sees himself.
More like the American Dad parody.

[youtube]hImhPFLM62s[/youtube]

Cold

Post by Cold »

JustAtheist wrote:

and from Contact
I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone mess up that phrase; they're at least a diamond dozen.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Lsuoma wrote: Bottom line - ensure you read the signup page and make sure you click the right boxes and don't click the wrong ones.
Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't think I'd need any brain power to register.

But anyway, it's not a big deal. I'll stick with this ID. I just wanted to give the admin a head's up in case his backend is sophisticated enough to cross reference ISPs.

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
welch wrote: It's music. Everyone likes their thing. I never quite understood the endless beatles wanking, and a major chunk of Jimi Hendrix leaves me cold.
I can appreciate both early and later Beatles. I can also, to some extend, appreciate the virtuosity of Hendrix. But I get really tired of aging hippies flipping out on me when I tell them I don't think Hendrix was the most awesome motherfucking thing ever. It's like I called their god a fag or something.
oh yeah, it's not that I dislike either. But shit, enough already. They made great music, and did cool things. But fuck me, there are other bands that are good too, and maybe if you let go of the past, you'd find some cool stuff in the present.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Steersman wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Likewise – at least generally speaking.

I had had a somewhat interesting and productive discussion with several of “The Horde!!” – Sally Strange, and Jadehawk among others – about a year ago on the topic of Feminism vs. Mens’ Rights, but never bothered to go back there much after that. All of the banning and threadlocking and overly draconian moderation really weren’t much of a draw. But I think all of that highlights some very contradictory perspectives, the elucidation and clarification of which aren’t helped much by those policies.
I confess... I did intend to Poe, but nothing I could think of was as crazy as the stuff that was already being posted.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

real horrorshow wrote: Oh, it gets better:
The most exciting thoughts I’ve had in skepticism have been listening to Pragna Patel, Sikivu Hutchinson or Natalie Reed, in whose work secularity and social justice collide and complete, coherent modes of thinking germinate which speak to both...blargle glarble bibble wibble etc.
If Sikuvu Hutchinson had her way, you and every other 'blue-eyed white devil' on the planet would be taking a Zyklon shower tomorrow you fucking hump!

I don't think Natalie "Die Cis-Scum" Reed has a place for you in her New World Order either.
I bolded the part that blows my mind. How does he define "coherent". And "thinking". And....wow.
Attachments
inigo-montoya-what-you-think-it-means-meme.jpg
(105.69 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Cold wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone mess up that phrase; they're at least a diamond dozen.
Heh. I see what you did there.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

yomomma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Bottom line - ensure you read the signup page and make sure you click the right boxes and don't click the wrong ones.
Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't think I'd need any brain power to register.

But anyway, it's not a big deal. I'll stick with this ID. I just wanted to give the admin a head's up in case his backend is sophisticated enough to cross reference ISPs.
Just so you know, Captain Obvious is the admin.

:lol:

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
Kareem wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I never really paid attention to the lyrics of Led Zepplin before. They are more banal than I thought when I couldn't understand what they are saying. Kind of like a drunk and even more pretentious version of Rush.

:o 'sniff
Even Ten Years Gone? Who can hate Ten Years Gone?
[.youtube]jYpydtdlWxA[/youtube]
Great tune. Zep was my favorite band for years, but nowadays I tend to listen to their tunes that haven't been killed to death on the radio for decades. This is one of them.
That's one of the reasons why Presence and III are my top albums of theres at the moment. But it changes. I also have a soft spot for really good Zep covers, like:

"Rock 'n Roll", Heart
"Misty Mountain Hop", 4 Non-Blondes
"Out on the Tiles", Blind Melon
"Dancin' Days", Stone Temple Pilots.

real horrorshow

Oh, it gets better:
Bum, no it doesn't, because the bit I quoted was the end of the bit you'd quoted. My defence is that my eyes glaze over after a couple of sentences of the Angel Gabriel's prose. The intersectional synthesis of his head and his arsehole collide and complete, coherent modes of thinking germinate which speak to both.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

JustAtheist wrote:

and from Contact
Actually, deep-seated is the accepted term. Ironically, it means deeply rooted. http://grammarist.com/usage/deep-seeded-deep-seated/