Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
yomomma

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by yomomma »

Gumby wrote:
yomomma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Bottom line - ensure you read the signup page and make sure you click the right boxes and don't click the wrong ones.
Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't think I'd need any brain power to register.

But anyway, it's not a big deal. I'll stick with this ID. I just wanted to give the admin a head's up in case his backend is sophisticated enough to cross reference ISPs.
Just so you know, Captain Obvious is the admin.

:lol:
Oh, he is? Uh, oops? In that case, thank you MR. Captain Obvious.

Okay, I'm just gonna go over there -----> for a little bit. You won't even know I'm here. I promise. (ducks out quickly)

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Gumby wrote:
yomomma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Bottom line - ensure you read the signup page and make sure you click the right boxes and don't click the wrong ones.
Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't think I'd need any brain power to register.

But anyway, it's not a big deal. I'll stick with this ID. I just wanted to give the admin a head's up in case his backend is sophisticated enough to cross reference ISPs.
Just so you know, Captain Obvious is the admin.

:lol:
NO NO NO Captain Obvious isn't the admin, The Fascist Tit Dear Leader is.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BillHamp wrote:This calls for some Sagan:

"Science is more than a body of knowledge: It’s a way of thinking; a way of skeptically interrogating the universe. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we’re up for grabs for the next charlatan, political or religious, who comes ambling along.”

and from Contact
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
I’ll see your Carl Sagan and raise you a Sagan and a Bertrand Russell: ;-)
Bertrand Russell wrote:William James used to preach the “will to believe”. For my part, I should wish to preach the “will to doubt.” …. What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which is the exact opposite. [Sceptical Essays; 1928]
From Sagan’s Broca’s Brain (pg 51) – highly recommended.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:
Tapir wrote:Raepgaet.
This.
But I can not spell that!!! Anyway, I like Clownfall.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

JustAtheist wrote:Deep Seeded.. deep seated means they have fat asses
Is this a poor-quality joke or is it more from the 'chaise lounge' school of American-English?
deep-seat·ed
adj.
1. Being so far below the surface as to be unsusceptible to superficial examination, study, or treatment: a deep-seated infection.
2. Deeply rooted; ingrained: deep-seated ideological differences.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone mess up that phrase; they're at least a diamond dozen.

The correct phrase is deep-seated. There is no diciontary entry for deep-seeded. Unless you use the Urban Dictionary.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:We interrupt this somber swansong for a very important message:

Steersman is bothering me.

http://i.imgur.com/1Q7ILJM.png

The self-involved brat who just crapped all over Al is self-involved to the very end.
Whaah! Steersman asked me serious questions! I called him a name, but he keeps asking!!
:violin:
16bitheretic wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1Q7ILJM.png

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

translation: "OMG you guys, someone who challenges me showed up and I can't handle it! I don't know what to do in an open debate setting! Help me! Help meeeeeeeeee!!!!"
I have said this before when some of you were wondering where Steers was and worrying if he was OK. Worry not for Steersman.

Worry for his victim.

JustAtheist

Post by JustAtheist »

BillHamp wrote:<snip>

Actually, deep-seated is the accepted term. Ironically, it means deeply rooted. http://grammarist.com/usage/deep-seeded-deep-seated/

Hmm interesting. Still think it works better for calling someone a fat ass

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

bhoytony wrote:RE: Led Zep ripping off old blues performers. What people don't like to admit is that most of those old guys were ripping everybody off themselves. That list that was posted gives Nobody's Fault But Mine as a Blind Willie Johnson song, but it was being peformed long before Johnson made the first recording of it. If you look at Robert Johnson's recordings you can trace them back to earlier songs by the likes of Blind Willie Newbern, Son House and Skip James. They were all doing it, that's how it worked. one song could be recorded in slightly different versions under new names by several artists. It's not hard to find this stuff out, it's common knowledge.
What you describe are either "traditional" songs, or a practice of handling copyrights that soon was replaced by clear laws and enforcement.

Does the lack of strong copyright protection the 20's & 30's justify violating copyright laws in the 60's & 70's?
What Plant & Page did was not common practice at the time, and in clear violation of the existing law. They even gave themselves credit for writing a couple of traditionals.

Re. The band name: Entwistle was going to leave The Who and join "The New Yardbirds." He suggested the name "Lead Zeppelin". Entwistle thought he was in the group, and thus surprised when he saw another line-up calling themselves "Led Zeppelin". Not illegal, but indicative of the attitude.

Cold

Post by Cold »

BillHamp wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone mess up that phrase; they're at least a diamond dozen.

The correct phrase is deep-seated. There is no diciontary entry for deep-seeded. Unless you use the Urban Dictionary.
The joke.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Your head.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BillHamp wrote:

I had to look, and just like I suspected, I got the first one right.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

VickyCaramel wrote:I confess... I did intend to Poe, but nothing I could think of was as crazy as the stuff that was already being posted.
Life in the Slymepit pretty much consists of this.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
bhoytony wrote:RE: Led Zep ripping off old blues performers. What people don't like to admit is that most of those old guys were ripping everybody off themselves. That list that was posted gives Nobody's Fault But Mine as a Blind Willie Johnson song, but it was being peformed long before Johnson made the first recording of it. If you look at Robert Johnson's recordings you can trace them back to earlier songs by the likes of Blind Willie Newbern, Son House and Skip James. They were all doing it, that's how it worked. one song could be recorded in slightly different versions under new names by several artists. It's not hard to find this stuff out, it's common knowledge.
What you describe are either "traditional" songs, or a practice of handling copyrights that soon was replaced by clear laws and enforcement.

Does the lack of strong copyright protection the 20's & 30's justify violating copyright laws in the 60's & 70's?
What Plant & Page did was not common practice at the time, and in clear violation of the existing law. They even gave themselves credit for writing a couple of traditionals.

Re. The band name: Entwistle was going to leave The Who and join "The New Yardbirds." He suggested the name "Lead Zeppelin". Entwistle thought he was in the group, and thus surprised when he saw another line-up calling themselves "Led Zeppelin". Not illegal, but indicative of the attitude.
The reason for that was because some of the lads around The Who, when they found out Page was looking to recruit Entwistle, asked him how he'd like playing music with two broken hands.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Cold wrote:
JustAtheist wrote:
Deep Seeded.. deep seated means they have fat asses
Sorry, I side with 'seated'. 'Deep-seated' is an actual phrase that comes from construction. 'Deep-seeded' is just something someone came up with because they figured "Hey, seeds are in the ground, right? So it makes more sense that they're 'deep', right?"

JustAtheist

Post by JustAtheist »

A bad pun sparks grammar discussion ... Fun

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Early Cuyler wrote:
Mykeru wrote: I never really paid attention to the lyrics of Led Zepplin before. They are more banal than I thought when I couldn't understand what they are saying. Kind of like a drunk and even more pretentious version of Rush.

Holy fuck, I hate Led Zepplin.
I've been a fan of your youtube channel for about a year now.

After reading your comments about Rush and Led Zeppelin, I now realize that you're bigoted against all non-American bands, you're racist, homophobic and hate kittens.

Oh, and my brain feels raped by your comments and now I have PTSD. I'm going to blog about how you raped me. :P
Led Zeppelin is the Steersman of rock and roll.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BillHamp wrote:

Irregardless, for all intensive purposes, there interchangeable.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

JustAtheist wrote:
BillHamp wrote:<snip>

Actually, deep-seated is the accepted term. Ironically, it means deeply rooted. http://grammarist.com/usage/deep-seeded-deep-seated/

Hmm interesting. Still think it works better for calling someone a fat ass
It's weird, I agree. The only way I remember it to think of a mechanical device in which a bearing is "deeply seated" inside a hub. That is the only way I remember it. I actually think deep-seeded should be accepted too as it makes just as much sense.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Gumby wrote:
So, for the FtB moonbats, hyperskepticism is simply everyday ordinary skepticism applied to their pet causes. It's one of their way of silencing people who are trying to use skepticism to vet the validity of a statement or belief. Other methods include the "privilege" and "ableist" arguments.
I find your microaggression very triggering. Thanks for the PTSD dudebro! :ugeek:

Cold

Post by Cold »

bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote:
JustAtheist wrote:
Deep Seeded.. deep seated means they have fat asses
Sorry, I side with 'seated'. 'Deep-seated' is an actual phrase that comes from construction. 'Deep-seeded' is just something someone came up with because they figured "Hey, seeds are in the ground, right? So it makes more sense that they're 'deep', right?"
What can I say? It's a doggy dog world.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BillHamp wrote:

No their not!

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BillHamp wrote:

I think people will get the meaning either way. I prefer deep-seated myself, but can see the point of deep-seeded and can certainly make sense of it. Deep seated gives a better impression, in my mind, of something that is difficult to get at and change.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote:I'm worried that Nerd is having an aneurysm. He's now resorted to just using MRA as an adjective he appends to everything!

For example, my opinion is that Mr. Myers was morally incorrect to not go through the proper legal channels in making a serious charge against Mr. Shermer.
What are those proper legal channels for a warning the MS is a sexual predator, and women should stay away from him, and be aware of the MO he uses? We aren’t radical feminists. We are simple feminists. You are a radical MRA fuckwit.
Nerd is clearly pleased with himself for coming up with 'radical MRA fuckwit' (but aren't all MRAs radical fuckwits by definition, Nerd? In which case, you've just used a pleonasm), as he blurts it out again:
Ha! Radical MRAs? We do not have any yet (not really). When we do get them, my guess is that they will come from the MGTOW segment and I expect them to outshine the FadFems.

If you think Nerd of Redhead is having an aneurysm now just wait for when that happens.

He will not know whether to shit of go blind.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BillHamp wrote:

That makes allot of sense.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Cold wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Can we please nip this grammar argument in the butt?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

VickyCaramel wrote: I confess... I did intend to Poe, but nothing I could think of was as crazy as the stuff that was already being posted.
Did your blood run cold when you realized that they were being on the level?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BillHamp wrote:

For all intense porpoises, you are correct, although from here on out I'd advise you to tow the line. Now 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

JustAtheist

Post by JustAtheist »

bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
your askin alot

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Irregardless
You did that on purpose, didn't you? :lol:

---------------------

In other news, I'm going with #grenadeGate.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Irregardless
You did that on purpose, didn't you? :lol:
Wow....Okay. I should have really read the rest of the post. It would have been obvious then. :?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BillHamp wrote: I think people will get the meaning either way. I prefer deep-seated myself, but can see the point of deep-seeded and can certainly make sense of it. Deep seated gives a better impression, in my mind, of something that is difficult to get at and change.
I don't know. We use "set" and "seat" when we build or place things. The head of a spear is set on a shaft, a shoulder is set in place when it goes out, the language reflects this putting into place. Something is deep-seated when the juncture of it and something else are hard to get at. Deep-seeded might make sense, but if seeds are too deep, they don't germinate. Plus, you can also set a seed in place, so the "seated" is appropriate as well.

It can also be used as "the set of his shoulders gave his attitude away". Set is a bit more versatile than seed. I think it doesn't matter when talking or writing - the message is pretty clear. Just giving some thoughts on the issue while waiting for the (clown)shoes to drop.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Guest wrote:Yeah, big vodka is gonna win against Putin's repressive cleptocracy. Keep dreaming and lashing out though. As long as it makes you feel better.
Yeah who ever heard of a corrupt government paying attention to a wealthy industry. That's just crazy. And so what if all it does is make me feel better. You act like I owe Russian vodka makers something. I don't owe them shit. And there's plenty of great vodkas out there so I'm not missing out.
Your corrupt government pays attention to the "wealthy industries" (lol, yeah, it's the vodka industry that Putin is worried about, not Russia's titanic natural resources), because the politicians need their donations to win. Russian politics are very different.
You don't owe anyone jack shit. You can act like a petulant child all you want. I just hope that besides boycotting vodka and babushka dolls, or whatever the stereotypical dumb american associates with Russia, you also boycott every US company ever. Hell, by your standard any company that isn't actively donating to politicians right now to legalize/change whatever isn't doing enough.

Heck, the american companies are even MORE responsible than the Russian ones for whatever ills that the US government issues upon it's citizens and the world. Since the US is less totalitarian money and public opinion have more influence, and the companies have less to lose. But whatever you can have your meaningless SJW tantrum against some "Russian" company if it makes you feel all good and tingly. Just hope these feels aren't deluding you to think that you "have done your part".
Damn! I just posted that it had been a while since I heard the old "You can't solve every problem so you might as well do nothing" tenet, and here it is again a hour or so later.
Petulant child? You seem to be taking my not buying Stolichnaya rather personally. Do you own stock in the company?

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Our new Full Frontal Zealotry podcast episode is up.

My co-host is a moderate in "The Shit". and not a member of The Slymepit (though he does lurk occasionally to see what I'm going on about). At about 34 minutes or so I make a barely veiled reference to current goings-on, and he erupts for ages about the last two years of bullshit. The frustration is palpable, and just when he thinks he can stop ranting, I meanly mention something else that pulls him back onto the rage train. :dance:

http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/267

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Mykeru wrote:
Early Cuyler wrote:
I'm going to blog about how you raped me. :P
If you don't need stitches, it didn't happen.
I probably have the same name for you that your girlfriend does, pencil dick. :rimshot:

:hankey:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

clownshoe wrote:Our new Full Frontal Zealotry podcast episode is up.

My co-host is a moderate in "The Shit". and not a member of The Slymepit (though he does lurk occasionally to see what I'm going on about). At about 34 minutes or so I make a barely veiled reference to current goings-on, and he erupts for ages about the last two years of bullshit. The frustration is palpable, and just when he thinks he can stop ranting, I meanly mention something else that pulls him back onto the rage train. :dance:

Sounds interesting. I also think this is appropriate to the current situation:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7734911744/hEC989C5E/

(can't tell what mammal those are, but the one back left looks like a meerkat. The whole meaning changes if they are something else)

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

katamari Damassi wrote:Damn! I just posted that it had been a while since I heard the old "You can't solve every problem so you might as well do nothing" tenet, and here it is again a hour or so later.
Petulant child? You seem to be taking my not buying Stolichnaya rather personally. Do you own stock in the company?
No, it just that we see your behavior and thinking as being just like the SJW's from Dumbfuckistan. Namely, slacktavism.

YMMV

BTW, Stolichnaya is already pro-LGBT.

Cold

Post by Cold »

JustAtheist wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote: What can I say? It's a doggy dog world.
your askin alot
Proper grammar and spelling is not something I take for granite. If anything I take every post made here with a grain assault.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Words of advice from the former Archbishop of Canterbury:
When you have any contact with real persecuted minorities you learn to use the word persecuted very chastely. Persecution is not being made to feel mildly uncomfortable.

He added:

I think we are made to feel uncomfortable at times. We’re made to feel as if we’re idiots – perish the thought! But that kind of level of not being taken very seriously or being made fun of; I mean for goodness sake, grow up.

I think there’s also a general cultural habit of making light of religion which is reinforced by a lot of the press and by our entertainment. I don’t lose a lot of sleep over it.

And he made the very valid point that:

You have to earn respect if you want to be taken seriously in society.
His advice should be listened to by the privileged hipster SJW types.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Badger3k wrote:
BillHamp wrote: I think people will get the meaning either way. I prefer deep-seated myself, but can see the point of deep-seeded and can certainly make sense of it. Deep seated gives a better impression, in my mind, of something that is difficult to get at and change.
I don't know. We use "set" and "seat" when we build or place things. The head of a spear is set on a shaft, a shoulder is set in place when it goes out, the language reflects this putting into place. Something is deep-seated when the juncture of it and something else are hard to get at. Deep-seeded might make sense, but if seeds are too deep, they don't germinate. Plus, you can also set a seed in place, so the "seated" is appropriate as well.

It can also be used as "the set of his shoulders gave his attitude away". Set is a bit more versatile than seed. I think it doesn't matter when talking or writing - the message is pretty clear. Just giving some thoughts on the issue while waiting for the (clown)shoes to drop.
Yes, that all makes sense. But consider that we use the term "seeded" to talk about ideas so a "deep-seeded" ideology is one implanted deep in the psyche that is hard to root out. That is why I can see how some people would think deep-seeded is the correct form. As I said, I prefer deep-seated. Having spent time working on engines, the phrase always conjures up images of that hard to get bearing or bolt that is deeply seated and a pain in the ass to get remove.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Great tune. Zep was my favorite band for years, but nowadays I tend to listen to their tunes that haven't been killed to death on the radio for decades. This is one of them.
That's one of the reasons why Presence and III are my top albums of theres at the moment. But it changes. I also have a soft spot for really good Zep covers, like:

"Rock 'n Roll", Heart
"Misty Mountain Hop", 4 Non-Blondes
"Out on the Tiles", Blind Melon
"Dancin' Days", Stone Temple Pilots.
Dread Zeppelin (with Ed Zeppelin and Tortelvis) FTW!

Post by Guest »

All this doggy dog arguments about grammar is making me supposably chomp at the bit to sign-up. It could be a blessing in the skies, as it literally begs the question as to weather anyone could care less if I did.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

welch wrote:
That's one of the reasons why Presence and III are my top albums of theres at the moment. But it changes. I also have a soft spot for really good Zep covers, like:

"Rock 'n Roll", Heart
[youtube]rAM1MKi7bNU[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
welch wrote:

"Rock 'n Roll", Heart
[youtube]rAM1MKi7bNU[/youtube]
Ninja'd!

Lsuoma, FTW!!!

Verklagekasper

Re: AW: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eir

Post by Verklagekasper »

Badger3k wrote: (can't tell what mammal those are, but the one back left looks like a meerkat. The whole meaning changes if they are something else)
Mungos. They kill snakes, one alone could finish that snake.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Now that really gets my goad.
Now that really gets my goat.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

One of the more rabid and dimwitted Pharyngula commenters, anteprepro, first argues that Shermers legal action is a sign of guilt and then denies that he argued that. He must believe that people can’t read.

Compare

anteprepro
15 August 2013 at 3:05 pm (UTC -5)

Have the people who are bleating about “what if Shermer is innocent ” and crying out for more evidence bothered to factor in one teeny, tiny, telltale piece of possible evidence in favor of the idea that this is true? Have they bothered to factor in one small detail that makes their arguments about how PZ should’ve consulted Shermer first look completely inane and borderline hypocritical?

Have they bothered to ask themselves why Shermer is filing a fucking lawsuit against Myers, getting out a letter about a lawsuit a mere four days after the blog post? Doesn’t that seem a little trigger happy? Doesn’t that sound like he should have talked to PZ a bit more before taking the nuclear option? If he were truly innocent, wouldn’t he trust that the truth would prevail, and that it would vindicate him, and set him free? Doesn’t it seem slightly less consistent with innocence when a skeptic is using legal force to shut a fellow skeptic up, instead of using the logic and argument that he pretends to esteem so highly?

I mean, by no means does it prove anything either way. But I think Shermer diving headfirst into a lawsuit over this, trying to shut PZ up and quick-like, nudges towards “guilt” rather than “innocence”.
with

anteprepro
15 August 2013 at 5:13 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
So several people are now suggesting that Shermer going straight to his lawyers is evidence of guilt. The fact that he did so quickly is further evidence.

Let’s take that in. His reaction is being second guessed, people are suggesting what he should have done is to just send PZ a note, settle it quietly, and that he didn’t take steps to defend himself in the manner you’d have preferred is evidence of guilt. The timeline of events is also suspect.
Listen the fuck up, you clueless fucking git: I am the one who originally brought in that argument. Apparently you can’t read, because no-one used the fact that he went to his lawyers and did so quickly as two separate kinds of evidence. I also never claimed that it was strong evidence of anything, or even half-way decent evidence. And I explicitly made it clear that I was only bringing it up to counter the arguments of people who said that PZ should’ve sent Shermer a note. It isn’t a sincere argument. It doesn’t and wasn’t supposed to prove anything. But that doesn’t stop you from playing holier than thou or making it all into a game of gotcha, does it, you fucking illiterate?
The only “fucking illiterate” here is the lying SJ warrior anteprepro.

freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/08 ... nt-page-1/

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Verklagekasper wrote:
Badger3k wrote: (can't tell what mammal those are, but the one back left looks like a meerkat. The whole meaning changes if they are something else)
Mungos are larger and have stripes, those look more like the common dwarf mongoose. Can't say for certain though.

windy

Post by windy »

Maryam Namazie adds more common sense to the comments of her 'Report them!' post:
28. Maryam Namazie
August 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm (UTC 1)

I find some of the comments here really bizarre and don’t want to spend too much time getting bogged down with this tone of debate – which I find unhelpful – but I do want to make some general comments.

Telling someone who has already gone public with a case of sex assault or abuse or rape to report the perpetrator is not dismissing her claim. It is in fact taking it seriously. However poor the law is, it is a real option for people to get some sort of redress and hearing that is unavailable elsewhere. Even if the issue is addressed at one’s workplace or on a million blogs, the woman in question has the right to be heard. Perpetrators – however we dislike them – also have a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

That the system is unfair or that violence against women is ignored are not excuses for disregarding available options and pressing for justice. If everyone decided to take things in their own hands, we wouldn’t have had positive changes in the law because people fought for and finally got justice that was initially denied. Trying the case on blogs and via boards of various organisations is not the way to get real redress and justice.

As someone who has spent most of my life fighting unfair laws, and opposing various police and government efforts to turn a blind eye I think it’s important for women to go to the police and demand action, particularly women who are confident enough to fight their employers and to do so publicly on these issues. They are the ones who also need to be at the forefront of bringing improvements in the law and demand redress when none is provided.

Finally I find it slightly absurd how some of the Americans here are trying to prove how awful America is compared to everywhere else. You do really think the world revolves around you don’t you? Capitalism is found everywhere and violence against women, racism, inequality are part and parcel of the system.

In fact, I know that system well. I was pulled over a barricade, kicked in the face, had police jump on my stomach which resulted in internal bleeding, had my trousers torn and my glasses broken, was arrested with 17 others and charged with 13 years in prison for opposing the first Gulf war in 1991 at the homecoming parade by the infamous NYPD. Of course the police charged myself and 17 others (we were called the War Parade 18) with assaulting them, obstructing justice and so on.

In prison we were woken up and photographed and told that if “you had been fucked more, you wouldn’t be protesting” and so on… The police attacked us at one of our hearings, our car was broken into and on and on.

I spent 3 years going to court. Thankfully we had excellent Leftwing pro bono lawyers representing us. The charges were eventually dropped when we found footage of the police dragging us over the barricades and beating us, showing clearly that they had been lying all along – as they do.

Britain’s police may be more subtle but can be just as brutal when push comes to shove and they continue to ignore everything from death threats I have received and so on.

Life’s unfair and very often the cards are stacked against us. So we have to fight and one of the ways is to fight to change the law or make it more responsive.

Changes in the law are important steps in bringing about positive changes in society – from institutional racism to violence against women.
*insert standard Jan Steen disclaimer about the dangers of the one party state and advocates thereof*

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

AndrewV69 wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: I confess... I did intend to Poe, but nothing I could think of was as crazy as the stuff that was already being posted.
Did your blood run cold when you realized that they were being on the level?
In complete honesty, that doesn't begin to describe it.

I was shocked that people like this exist. I felt insulted as a woman that they try to speak for me, and as a mother... can you imagine what it is like to read all that rape theory shit and for me to look over at my 5 year old son, and think, they are labeling him a potential rapist. On some level I felt attacked.

So I'll say it again, I was shocked. That a political ideology could breed fear, hatred and complete idiocy is really a no-brainer... and it isn't like I haven't seen groups actually being the exact opposite of what they say and think they are. I just could never have envisaged this degree of hate and bigotry from social justice warriors.

I have read through the Forums of StormFront and felt less disgusted. I really don't think I am exaggerating.

So there you have it, they so frequently express their personal feelings, only right I should express how they make me feel, just this once.

Cold

Post by Cold »

Jan Steen wrote:One of the more rabid and dimwitted Pharyngula commenters, anteprepro, first argues that Shermers legal action is a sign of guilt and then denies that he argued that. He must believe that people can’t read.

Compare

anteprepro
15 August 2013 at 3:05 pm (UTC -5)

Have the people who are bleating about “what if Shermer is innocent ” and crying out for more evidence bothered to factor in one teeny, tiny, telltale piece of possible evidence in favor of the idea that this is true? Have they bothered to factor in one small detail that makes their arguments about how PZ should’ve consulted Shermer first look completely inane and borderline hypocritical?

Have they bothered to ask themselves why Shermer is filing a fucking lawsuit against Myers, getting out a letter about a lawsuit a mere four days after the blog post? Doesn’t that seem a little trigger happy? Doesn’t that sound like he should have talked to PZ a bit more before taking the nuclear option? If he were truly innocent, wouldn’t he trust that the truth would prevail, and that it would vindicate him, and set him free? Doesn’t it seem slightly less consistent with innocence when a skeptic is using legal force to shut a fellow skeptic up, instead of using the logic and argument that he pretends to esteem so highly?

I mean, by no means does it prove anything either way. But I think Shermer diving headfirst into a lawsuit over this, trying to shut PZ up and quick-like, nudges towards “guilt” rather than “innocence”.
with

anteprepro
15 August 2013 at 5:13 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
So several people are now suggesting that Shermer going straight to his lawyers is evidence of guilt. The fact that he did so quickly is further evidence.

Let’s take that in. His reaction is being second guessed, people are suggesting what he should have done is to just send PZ a note, settle it quietly, and that he didn’t take steps to defend himself in the manner you’d have preferred is evidence of guilt. The timeline of events is also suspect.
Listen the fuck up, you clueless fucking git: I am the one who originally brought in that argument. Apparently you can’t read, because no-one used the fact that he went to his lawyers and did so quickly as two separate kinds of evidence. I also never claimed that it was strong evidence of anything, or even half-way decent evidence. And I explicitly made it clear that I was only bringing it up to counter the arguments of people who said that PZ should’ve sent Shermer a note. It isn’t a sincere argument. It doesn’t and wasn’t supposed to prove anything. But that doesn’t stop you from playing holier than thou or making it all into a game of gotcha, does it, you fucking illiterate?
The only “fucking illiterate” here is the lying SJ warrior anteprepro.

freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/08 ... nt-page-1/
I'm still following the thread too but I finally reached the most current comments at the bottom.

I know I already mentioned this but does anyone else get the feeling that some of these people are probably very mentally ill? Whenever I see a Caine post I always imagine an obese autistic 30-year old who lives in her parents' basement and sits at the computer all day, defending PZ's blog from rape apologists and drawing pictures of animals fucking each other to post on her DeviantArt page.

It would be fascinating to study these people in real life and find out what motivates them to write the way they do.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Does anyone have a freezepage of PZ's "hand grenade" post that's unedited? I know there was a stealth edit in his post where he omitted any reference to this Carrie person (which I assume is Poppy), but I can't find a screenshot - or page - depicting a before and after. I intend to put it in my "Fuck him into the ground" folder and forward it to Shermer's lawyer.

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

VickyCaramel wrote: I was shocked that people like this exist. I felt insulted as a woman that they try to speak for me, and as a mother... can you imagine what it is like to read all that rape theory shit and for me to look over at my 5 year old son, and think, they are labeling him a potential rapist. On some level I felt attacked.

So I'll say it again, I was shocked. That a political ideology could breed fear, hatred and complete idiocy is really a no-brainer... and it isn't like I haven't seen groups actually being the exact opposite of what they say and think they are. I just could never have envisaged this degree of hate and bigotry from social justice warriors.

I have read through the Forums of StormFront and felt less disgusted. I really don't think I am exaggerating.
QFT.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Early Cuyler wrote:
Verklagekasper wrote:
Mungos are larger and have stripes, those look more like the common dwarf mongoose. Can't say for certain though.
The dwarf mongoose is browner than that, unless I'm mistaken. Regardless, they're some brand of mongoose or another.

LonLon

Post by LonLon »

Badger3k wrote:
clownshoe wrote:Our new Full Frontal Zealotry podcast episode is up.

Sounds interesting. I also think this is appropriate to the current situation:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7734911744/hEC989C5E/

(can't tell what mammal those are, but the one back left looks like a meerkat. The whole meaning changes if they are something else)
They Are mongooses, they kill cobras.

Cobra vs. Mongoose

Cold

Post by Cold »

VickyCaramel wrote:I have read through the Forums of StormFront and felt less disgusted. I really don't think I am exaggerating.
Ironic you should say that. I did a stint at both Panda's Thumb and After The Bar Closes for a bit and these people are a million times worse than the people we mocked at those places. If I had to pick between being entertained by the Uncommon Descent crowd and the SJW's, I'd pick the former in a heartbeat, because while they're still complete and utter morons, the way in which they're morons is part of what makes them a little bit likeable. Almost cute, like watching a puppy struggle to stay awake or a child pretend to be an adult. These people on the other hand can be a source of humor, but at the same time it's unsettling because then you realize they have even less awareness of their idiocy than the creationists.

I don't know about Stormfront, because I'm pretty sure the majority of those people there actually believe what they're saying, but I can go on certain parts of 4chan and be rest assured that most of what is being posted there is either trolling or good-natured fuckery. The worst people on the site are sociopathic at best but at least they're completely aware of their sociopathy and can be self-referential.

Pharyngulites and SJW's in general reek of zealotry, and it's the inability to stop taking oneself so seriously that makes them more unlikeable than creationists and other pseudoscience types.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Anybody seen this? Apparently, there's a term for sites like FTB.

http://www.edge.org/response-detail/23777

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I've tried to figure this out: PZ on @elevatorgate. MAybe it's just because I don't use twitter or storify, and couldn't care less if people copy what I make public or if they want to spam. Spam gets tossed out and ignored. Same as junk mail and junk phone calls - deleted off the machine.

PZ compares him to Mabus. Not sure on this. As far as I know, @elevatorgate never threatened anyone (could be wrong, as I don't follow him).

But this bit from John Scalzi (twice now, I suspect some kind of SJW or SJW friendly): (this is the whole quote that PZ quoted, linked in the original)
A Twitter and Storify user who goes by the handle “@elevatorGATE” is a well-known cyberstalker of women via social media. His latest method of doing this is to compile thousands of pieces on Storify, often including every single tweet sent by his chosen targets, and then publish them, which notifies the women in question that he had published yet another piece archiving their every word. After repeated complaints and requests for help, Storify temporarily deactivated the notification feature on his account, which doesn’t actually solve the problem.
In a conversation yesterday with Xavier Damman, the Storify CEO suggested that the women @elevatorGATE is targeting turn off all notifications from Storify, which essentially suggests that they withdraw from the medium if they don’t like being stalked, and which also wouldn’t solve the problem of this user archiving everything these women say. One of the users pointed out that this is very much like telling a woman who is being harassed via telephone to never answer the phone. It was at this point in the conversation that Damman went from passively enabling a stalker to actively assisting one. He tweeted, in response to the women, that they “…can’t do anything about that. It’s @elevatorgate’s right to quote public statements…”
Prior to this point in the conversation, the women had named their stalker, but not used the @ symbol in front of his username. You know enough about Twitter to know why that’s a big deal. Damman either carelessly or deliberately notified a man stalking multiple women that they were seeking some way to prevent him from continuing to harass them, and then claimed it was no big deal because anyone searching for the information would have been able to find it. But there’s a very big difference between information existing and that same information being directly brought to a person’s attention.
If you know much about stalking, you’ll know what happens next. @elevatorGATE has substantially stepped up his harassment of the women who had asked Damman for help. Men who follow him on both Storify and Twitter have been bombarding these women via Storify notifications and Tweets with additional harassment. He has also increased his harassment of known online associates of the women in question, making it difficult for them to seek out help or support from fear of his beginning to stalk their friends as well. It’s the reason I’m contacting you privately, via email, rather than via social media: I’m afraid. I don’t want to be added to his list of targets.
It sounds like this guy is doing the same thing as spamming. However I don't know what is being said, and whether it is harassment - whether he is manking personal suggestions, etc, or just spamming. I did notice the disconnect that we have been saying all along. There is a difference between things being brought to your attention and things that you must go to and look for yourself. That I agree with.

As for the rest, I really can't say. I have twitter but rarely use it, and in any case I have notifications turned off. The last thing I want to do is waste my time at work getting a bunch of tweets about where people are or what they are eating, or doing. If I want that, at that very minute, I'll call. Having grown up without that intrusion and pushing your personal life into the public, I can't understand the kids or adults who cannot be weaned away from their twitter/facebook/text/IM/whatever pacifier. What is so important that you need to be notified if someone mentions your name? What kind of ego is that - it doesn't seem like one that is very secure. I know I'm assigning motivations, but I just don't get it, and really, I'm not sure I want to. Hell, if everyone in the world wanted to talk about me, go ahead, I have no idea who you are so I don't care what you say.

Now, I will say if he's doing something illegal, then he should be stopped. I might think of more, but I have a Rifftrax Live event to go to, and gots to gets ready.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Guest wrote:All this doggy dog arguments about grammar is making me supposably chomp at the bit to sign-up. It could be a blessing in the skies, as it literally begs the question as to weather anyone could care less if I did.
Nice. Very nice.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Cold wrote:I know I already mentioned this but does anyone else get the feeling that some of these people are probably very mentally ill? Whenever I see a Caine post I always imagine an obese autistic 30-year old who lives in her parents' basement and sits at the computer all day, defending PZ's blog from rape apologists and drawing pictures of animals fucking each other to post on her DeviantArt page.
Caine (who is indeed the very worst of the worst) is actually (she says) in her mid-50s, one of the older of those lunatics. She has apparently doxxed herself quite nicely at the "Pharyngula Wiki":

http://pharyngula.wikia.com/wiki/Caine,_Fleur_du_mal

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

bovarchist wrote:Anybody seen this? Apparently, there's a term for sites like FTB.

http://www.edge.org/response-detail/23777
Good link. Thanks for posting this bovarchist! :handgestures-thumbup: