Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
rayshul

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by rayshul »

brightonrock wrote:If some guy hit on me when I was wearing daggy trackies at the bus stop, it's not my own self-esteem I'd be questioning...
Ouch. :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

welch wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:I liked the first one quite a bit, but here in Part 3 she has run out of gas. I get it - Damsels, they are in Distress in video games. She thinks they shouldn't be. I got it.
Did that include all the parts where she completely misrepresented the games she was talking about?
The thing that amazed me the most in the video, is that she actually went along and storyboarded a hypothetical videogame.

Which, in fact, sounded quite interesting. But instead of developing a game to actively make an effort to subvert the tropes she's complaining about, she opted to make videos instead. Brilliant.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Pitchguest wrote:
welch wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:I liked the first one quite a bit, but here in Part 3 she has run out of gas. I get it - Damsels, they are in Distress in video games. She thinks they shouldn't be. I got it.
Did that include all the parts where she completely misrepresented the games she was talking about?
The thing that amazed me the most in the video, is that she actually went along and storyboarded a hypothetical videogame.

Which, in fact, sounded quite interesting. But instead of developing a game to actively make an effort to subvert the tropes she's complaining about, she opted to make videos instead. Brilliant.
What I want to know is how she got Jennifer Hale to narrate that part. I wonder if she got paid or not.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

didymos wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:The thing that amazed me the most in the video, is that she actually went along and storyboarded a hypothetical videogame.

What I want to know is how she got Jennifer Hale to narrate that part. I wonder if she got paid or not.
That was Jennifer Hale? I thought something was familiar about it. Which bugged me, because SHE WASN'T EVEN FUCKING CREDITED IN THE VIDEO!

I mean, for crying out loud, Anita, you get Jennifer Hale and you don't even give her a fucking credit in the description?

But that's even worse! Instead of making a game that actually looks pretty interesting, with an interesting plot, where she was even able to get JENNIFER HALE to narrate it (My name is Jennifer Hale, and this is my favourite part of the video), she chose to make videos instead - talking into the camera like a robot. Stroke. Of. Genius.

Or maybe I'm confusing genius with madness. It's hard to say.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

tl;dr --

Dear [NAME]

Thank you for you letter. We're not the ones who mentioned you by name. So don't sue us.

Pip pip cheerio,

The BBC

didymos

Post by didymos »

Pitchguest wrote:
That was Jennifer Hale? I thought something was familiar about it. Which bugged me, because SHE WASN'T EVEN FUCKING CREDITED IN THE VIDEO!
She is, but only under the "Thanks" section.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Steersman wrote:
zenbabe wrote:Hey Steersman, I notice you seem to tightening up your writing lately. Much appreciated :D
:-) I would have been remiss if I hadn’t heeded some of the criticisms from my dear readers, particularly given my championing of the concept of feedback. But it is partly a question of time – better, and less time-consuming, to write less that’s more coherent than more that isn’t.
Whatever you need, Steersman, to help make your posts worth the effort of reading. The problem I have encountered with you is that your specific point gets lost in a murky sea of words. Someone like Mykeru or Welsh can write with lot of extraneous words which add pep, vim and vigor to their point. My theory about you is that you want to be sure to state every thought and often at least one reference that's informed, and surrounds, your main point, which results in murk that is a mental trial to read... and leads to the teasing.
(about Ool0n ->) I haven’t yet decided whether “Worm-Tongue” might be an appropriate handle, although one I don’t think he alone is entitled to claim.
You give him far too much credit. He's more like one of the cowardly ruffians who took over the Shire for a brief time ;)
And while “human” covers a lot of ground, it’s nice – thank you – to receive some evidence to refute the egregious and entirely baseless charge that I’m no more than a robot with an unhealthy interest in sweet young things below the age of consent. ;-)
Haha! You have to realize, using the phrase "sweet young things" only makes the 'shopped joke all the more hilarious? I never know how self aware people who scored over 9000 on that online aspie test can be! Regardless, yes, while you might bend over backwards to the point of being the world's greatest contortionist to provide benefit of the doubt, you totally strike me as a good guy.
zenbabe wrote:Oh Steersman, the eternal optimist ;)
:-) Not sure there’s much alternative. Humanity certainly seems to have done much to-ing and fro-ing, of taking two steps forward and one back. But the net result seems to have been much significant forward progress. Not quite sure what the ultimate goal might be, but I think there is one. Which kind of makes the scene worth the candle. At least for the moment.
Not familiar with the phrase: "the scene worth the candle".. Do you think humanity can be romanced into a better state of being?

People like the reporter who wrote that BBC Oolon story and those who decided to air it make me want to give up hope. The pushback against it restores the hope that maybe all is not lost, and in the meantime is fun to watch. And the jokes are delicious.

welch

Post by welch »

Trophy wrote:On the AS pharyngula thread:
mouthyb, Vagina McTits wrote:Hey, video game designers: I’d love to play a game where I manage to evade a wedding and get to become a freaking assassin. Even if the rest of the universe is sexist as fuck.
Sigh. I'm sure there are plenty of games but just off the top of my head: Dragon Age Origins, female city elf origin (and then rogue class).

It is the wedding day for both the City Elf and their cousin, Soris. While exploring the Alienage, a local lord named Vaughan and some acquaintances arrive and are abusive towards the women. Another of the City Elf's cousins, Shianni, knocks him unconscious at which point his friends carry him away. Shortly afterwards, Duncan arrives, revealing that he is searching for new Grey Wardens, and also that he knew the City Elf's mother whom he had attempted to recruit years ago. The City Elf eventually joins the wedding ceremony, but before it can be completed, Vaughan returns with armed guards and abducts all the women, including the City Elf if she is female. If the City Elf is male he goes on a rescue mission with Soris, if she is female she awakens in a room with three other elves including Soris's betrothed and Shianni.

There are various differences in the story between male and female players; for example, a male City Elf will have to fight his way into the castle with Soris, while a female City Elf will fight her way out. Eventually Soris and the Warden will find their way into the room with Vaughan and his friends, with Shianni on the floor. Vaughan attempts to buy his way out of the situation by promising 40 sovereigns if the City Elf leaves without the women. The City Elf can take the offer, however the share of the money will be confiscated by the city guards, unless it is decided that the money be stashed outside the estate; the stash can be collected much later in the story. If the City Elf refuses his offer, Vaughan and his friends will fight.

D&D online. That's one of the tracks for a rogue. Assassin, it's what my wife plays, and the "Tits or GTFO" lot is pretty much nonexistent there. Turbine has little tolerance for that kind of thing, and so no one does it.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Gumby wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:This deserves a reprise. Absolutely evil. I can wave at cars again! Oh fuck.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/Ii9vSMH.png[/img]
:D You're too kind, Cunning Punt. Glad to see people enjoying this one. My original idea was to make the theme "Oolon's OKCupid Dating Site Profile", but his dead and soulless un-anchored eyeball pulled me in an entirely different direction, as if by divine intervention. Praise be to The Eyeball.
"his dead and soulless un-anchored eyeball"... hahaha!

Gumby, given the 'shop and the explanation of its inspiration, you are so full of win.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Nerd of Redhead is on holiday and asked me to post for him on the EP/Pinker thread. So I wrote this:
Nerd of Redhead, Dances OM Trolls wrote:
2 August 2013 at 6:56 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Coelsblog wrote:All human behaviour is indeed genetically “based” in the sense that without genes you wouldn’t have a human and thus no human behaviour.
Assertion made with evidence, just your OPINION. Your OPINION can be dismissed without evidence per Chritopher Hitchens, et al. You have presented no scientific evidence to back your claim. Just mountains of more OPINION.

Take it outside of yourself and your inane arguments to the real scientific/academic literature. Your arguments and “demonstrations” nothing are self-serving self-generated bullshit.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-658841

(Well, I could have written it*. Easily. It is 100% NoR cliché. Bullying without content. Pharyngula at its best. Also note the assertion he is asking evidence for. :lol: )

* However, I would have written "Assertion made without evidence" rather than "Assertion made with evidence" and "are nothing but" instead of "nothing are," but such glitches are typical for NoR. He is probably so busy doing real science that he does not have the time to proofread his posts.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

dogen wrote:
decius wrote:Didn't Simon Singh get nearly bankrupted, just by having to defend himself in a libel case that was eventually dismissed?
Yes, he did. He (quite rightly) commented that chiropractic is a load of bollocks, and got sued.

In this maelstrom of roosting chickens, let's not lose sight of the fact that the UK libel laws are in desperate need of reform.
He had sufficient funds to even meet a loss. He often said that which is why he continued with the case. The chilling effect of excessive costs in the UK is well known of course and I think there is a Doctor close to bankruptcy just because he said, in his opinion, a piece of medical equipment did not do what was claimed.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Maybe a Kickstarter will do it? :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

JackSkeptic wrote:
dogen wrote:
decius wrote:Didn't Simon Singh get nearly bankrupted, just by having to defend himself in a libel case that was eventually dismissed?
Yes, he did. He (quite rightly) commented that chiropractic is a load of bollocks, and got sued.

In this maelstrom of roosting chickens, let's not lose sight of the fact that the UK libel laws are in desperate need of reform.
He had sufficient funds to even meet a loss. He often said that which is why he continued with the case. The chilling effect of excessive costs in the UK is well known of course and I think there is a Doctor close to bankruptcy just because he said, in his opinion, a piece of medical equipment did not do what was claimed.
Was it the machine that goes "ping"?

[youtube]arCITMfxvEc[/youtube]

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

TedDahlberg wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Yemmy's got a new poem out. I'm guessing she's broomed the tsunami then: http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynisting/?p=1232

Yemministing. Supplying services to celibacy since 2013.
Sound of the roosters crowing
Look how my cock has grown
As you nimble on my drumstick
I dribble on your tongue quick
Sound of the anteater slurping
Making my squishy loins sing
Jack be nimble on my candlestick
Ants dribble from your tonguelick
I'm sure I'm going to regret making this my second post here. Fuck it.

Inspired by a bloggers verbiage
About wetness in her lady-herbage
I thought to take a break from lurking
To pen a verse about jerking

Though when push came to shove my poor manhood
Did not stand tall and proud like a redwood
It was limp and slack like a toddler’s
Draped listlessly o’er my cobblers

For the only thing I could get up
Thinking of Yemmi in rut,
With her flaps all wet and yawning
Were the eggs I’d eaten this morning.

Yet still the gross visuals in her rhymes
Are not the greatest of her crimes :
She should be sent straight to Purgatory
For thinking AABB rhyme schemes are mandatory

Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:tl;dr --

Dear [NAME]

Thank you for you letter. We're not the ones who mentioned you by name. So don't sue us.

Pip pip cheerio,

The BBC
Dear BBC

McAlpine. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20348978.

Chocks away!

Yours

[Name]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh! A troll!!!

On the Slymepit, of all places!

Stick him on the Slymbot quick!!!! Level one.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

I eagerly await Oolon's FLOOSHING of the judge in any libel action for insisting that harassment, abuse, violent and misogyny can't mean what ever the fuck he wants them to.

Fucking dictionary jurists.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Random Lurker wrote: I'm sure I'm going to regret making this my second post here. Fuck it.

Though when push came to shove my poor manhood
Did not stand tall and proud like a redwood
It was limp and slack like a toddler’s
Draped listlessly o’er my cobblers

For the only thing I could get up
Thinking of Yemmi in rut,
With her flaps all wet and yawning
Were the eggs I’d eaten this morning.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3kZdT0PEPzw/U ... apping.gif

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Cunt of Personality wrote:I eagerly await Oolon's FLOOSHING of the judge in any libel action for insisting that harassment, abuse, violent and misogyny can't mean what ever the fuck he wants them to.

I'm waiting for him to discover that "I troll you" isn't a valid legal defense.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:
Cunt of Personality wrote:I eagerly await Oolon's FLOOSHING of the judge in any libel action for insisting that harassment, abuse, violent and misogyny can't mean what ever the fuck he wants them to.

I'm waiting for him to discover that "I troll you" isn't a valid legal defense.
It is if you say it while displaying this image:

http://www.imageleech.net/data/media/1/ ... LL-YOU.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Another Lurker's poem deserves an A+!

Yemmifist's moronic rhyming scheme always bugged me. She should consider writing country music.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Another Lurker's poem deserves an A+!

Yemmifist's moronic rhyming scheme always bugged me. She should consider writing country music.
Or become Ace Frehley's lyricist.

KenD

Post by KenD »

Guest wrote:While we're on the subect of stupid computer programs, you guys are gonna love this. A Scottish feminist by the name of Alyson MacDonald made a "Female Experience Simulator" that is supposed to replicate the harassment women suffer or some shit. Trigger Warning, may induce laughter.
http://brightgreenscotland.org/wp-conte ... lator.html
Leaving for the office in jeans and a t-shirt:
You've hardly made it out of the front door when a teenage boy cycles past shouting "minger!" He spits at you and some of it gets on your shoes. Ewww.

Oh no, you've been sexually harassed! You lose 100 self-esteem points and wish that the ground would open up and swallow you.
I've had exactly that happen to me (although I wasn't wearing a cute unicorn t-shirt at the time).

I thought it was just a nasty little scrote acting as nasty little scrotes generally do. I never realised that I'd been sexually harassed by a 14 year old chav on a BMX.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I am just going to leave this here:

http://skeptools.wordpress.com/2013/08/ ... mment-1192
Pz Myers says:
August 2, 2013 at 10:34 am

I don’t use the block bot myself, but I do block all the same people on their list — your listing of their qualifications is purely an appeal to authority, and you do realize that people with Ph.D.s or who write books can be godawful jerks, don’t you?

I object to it because it is a limited, specific solution to a narrow subset of a broader problem. There are people whose comments I find of no value, or who are on an active campaign of harassment, and I’d rather not see their noise when I’m browsing a conference hashtag, for instance. But I want to be the one who makes that decision, not the maintainers of the block bot, and I recognize that other people will have a different criteria for blocking. The current implementation is very much just for that group of people who identify with the aims of Atheism+.

(And why them? What you gloss over, but is clearly apparent in the comments here, is that some people regard the existence of Atheism+ as a personal affront and react in a hateful knee-jerk fashion to anything that hints of it — which includes the godawful jerks with Ph.D.s on that list. The block bot is a defensive measure against a very specific trolling campaign.)

What we need is a general solution, one that can be easily customized for each user. Block bot ain’t it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

They give out Grammy's; this song deserves a "Yemmi"

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

That was "Random Lurker's" poem.

I should probably change my nym, I have been around here long enough, and 'another lurker' just sounds too anonymous. Or something.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

didymos wrote: What I want to know is how she got Jennifer Hale to narrate that part. I wonder if she got paid or not.
Jennifer Hale? Dammit, now I have to watch the video and hear Sarkasian say the same things she said in the other two. But anything for the real Samus Aran.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pz Myers says:

your listing of their qualifications is purely an appeal to authority, and you do realize that people with Ph.D.s or who write books can be godawful jerks, don’t you?
Yes PZ. We know. We know.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

About Anita's video, he says to people who probably already agree with him, she refuses to see everything through a historical context and only an historical context. So in reality, she is holding women back. A woman being rescued by a man is bad because of history, and no in-story differences matter to her. Deep Space Nine said it better:
[youtube]puBrFifxSSM[/youtube]
Star Trek solves all problems.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Pitchguest wrote: But that's even worse! Instead of making a game that actually looks pretty interesting, with an interesting plot, where she was even able to get JENNIFER HALE to narrate it (My name is Jennifer Hale, and this is my favourite part of the video), she chose to make videos instead - talking into the camera like a robot. Stroke. Of. Genius.

I don't think the requirement that someone critiquing something be capable of making something similar that meets the criteria they're discussing is a necessarily effective or fair counter argument. We don't require that Consumer reports makes a better car than Toyota if they review the latest batch of Toyotas after all, and even after that kickstarter campaign Anita Sarkeesian would need a lot more money even to get a simple indie game on Steam or on the console download services.

instead we should focus criticism where it is most needed: in the numerous factual errors she's made over the past three videos and in the fact that she displays no evidence of having played any of these games for herself, as most of her footage was ripped from YouTube Let's Play vids and her "analysis" is Wikipedia and TVTropes browsing deep.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

another lurker wrote:

I should probably change my nym, I have been around here long enough, and 'another lurker' just sounds too anonymous. Or something.
Please let me choose your new nym.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
another lurker wrote:

On the one hand I think it's a great idea - saves me the trouble of choosing a name.

On the other...I am slightly, ever so slightly...afraid :P

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

16bitheretic wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: But that's even worse! Instead of making a game that actually looks pretty interesting, with an interesting plot, where she was even able to get JENNIFER HALE to narrate it (My name is Jennifer Hale, and this is my favourite part of the video), she chose to make videos instead - talking into the camera like a robot. Stroke. Of. Genius.

I don't think the requirement that someone critiquing something be capable of making something similar that meets the criteria they're discussing is a necessarily effective or fair counter argument. We don't require that Consumer reports makes a better car than Toyota if they review the latest batch of Toyotas after all, and even after that kickstarter campaign Anita Sarkeesian would need a lot more money even to get a simple indie game on Steam or on the console download services.

instead we should focus criticism where it is most needed: in the numerous factual errors she's made over the past three videos and in the fact that she displays no evidence of having played any of these games for herself, as most of her footage was ripped from YouTube Let's Play vids and her "analysis" is Wikipedia and TVTropes browsing deep.
Why does it matter if she ripped Let's Play videos? Who cares?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Jan Steen wrote:Paul Mason: "People who have been put on the ‘annoying’ list see that as a form of harassment because they’ve been named in the same ballpark as serious stuff. "

That's oolon's nightmare right there.
Has anyone put paul mason on the block list?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Angry_Drunk wrote:In all seriousness though, the fact that Turd has my fake account in his list just goes to prove the lie that he spins about how people get on that list. The only, and I mean only way that account could have been flagged is because Welch follows it.
His web page on it really gives out his ideological bias - he specifically mentions FTB, Skepchick and A+ forum and says that if you are blocked there, the block bot will probably block you too.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

NoelPlum is consistently hilarious.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

another lurker wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Please let me choose your new nym.
On the one hand I think it's a great idea - saves me the trouble of choosing a name.

On the other...I am slightly, ever so slightly...afraid :P
You should hold a poll and invite suggestions. You pick the best.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
I mention it because she doesn't display any evidence of having actually played many of these titles, and would it really be so hard for her to capture some of her own footage to show that yes, she really did sit down with these games and analyze them without just browsing a 10 minute chunk on someone's Let's Play run or just copying Wiki info?

I'll speak on the second vid on one of the games I'm most familiar with: Borderlands 2. She complained that at one point you had to kill the character Angel to "advance the plot arc of a male character", and this is on top of her previous mentions of "woman in a refrigerator" tropes in her vids.

So yes, it is true that you end up killing this female character, who you were led to believe was just an AI communicating with you for 1.5 games, as she asks you to end her life to stop her father's evil plots. Sarkeesian fails to mention that not even 10 minutes later one of the male protagonists is killed to further the character arc of his female love interest, a complete reversal of the gender situations in the tropes she complained about. She also failed to mention that 2 of the 5 player characters you can play as to kill Angel are female, so the idea that borderlands 2 is always this patriarchal "you play as a guy and kill the helpless girl" is bullshit. Now did she simply neglect to mention this stuff by accident, or to further her agenda, or was it pure ignorance as she apparently watched and downloaded a YT Let's Play vid?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Hey guise.
Do you like my new haircut?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/9425 ... af3f92.jpg
I think it's a bit too short at the bottom.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I just wanted to add one thing: I'm not criticizing Sarkeesian to deny that some games have problematic content when it comes to gender, minorities or what have you. I'm criticizing her because I think she's a hack and really bad at this stuff.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@16bitHeretic.
99.99% of the baddies in Borderlands 2 are male, all of them get killed and all of them act as thick as shit yet killing one woman right near the end is "OMG SEXIST TROPES!!!"
Yeah, she never played that game at all.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Razib over at GNXP chips in about Reza Aslan who someone mentioned here recently.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... ientalism/
My own personal and subjective experience is why I am very interested in the Reza Aslan kerfuffle, which I became aware of only over the past day or so. If you don’t want to follow the link, basically a Fox News interviewer expressed implied disapproval and obvious skepticism that Aslan, a professing Muslim, would write an analysis of the life of Jesus, Zealot (the surprise and initial question isn’t that big of a deal, see this interview on NPR’s Fresh Air). I think it is important to observe here that Aslan was an evangelical Christian before he was a believing Muslim. Though raised in a nominal Muslim Persian family (his father is an atheist, his mother is now an evangelical Christian), the first religion which he accepted with deep conviction was evangelical Protestant Christianity.
Just a reminder that Razib is a very aggressive moderator. Do not be surprised if your first comment is your last (and no he has not banned me ... yet).

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

16bitheretic wrote:I just wanted to add one thing: I'm not criticizing Sarkeesian to deny that some games have problematic content when it comes to gender, minorities or what have you. I'm criticizing her because I think she's a hack and really bad at this stuff.
I wonder how many games have a male leading charater or player character who must actively sacrifice themselves for the good of everybody else and the completion of the game?
Halo Reach, Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption immediately spring to mind. I'm sure there's PLENTY more. That's a more harmful trope than "Ermagherd a woman needs rescuing!!!" but fuck it, "what about the menz" amirite?

Spence

Post by Spence »

AndrewV69 wrote:I am just going to leave this here:

http://skeptools.wordpress.com/2013/08/ ... mment-1192
Pz Myers says:
August 2, 2013 at 10:34 am

I don’t use the block bot myself, but I do block all the same people on their list — your listing of their qualifications is purely an appeal to authority, and you do realize that people with Ph.D.s or who write books can be godawful jerks, don’t you?
Tim followed up noting that the block bot was mainly used for disagreements rather than abuse, so PeeZus Lyers replied with:
Pz Myers says:
August 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm
Those people who are being systematically blocked are in a group that carries out, or passively supports, ongoing misogynistic harassment. It’s not just disagreement.

But otherwise I agree, it is inappropriate to call it a tool against misogynistic harassment, because it only deals with a tiny handful of abusers. There are many more abusers out there than are found in that select group, so it’s effectively useless against the great majority of trouble-makers.
Oh, you lying sack of shit, Lyers. "Passively supports"? PeeZus, is that because you know you can't possibly provide any evidence of harrassment from the vast majority of people on the list, so you describe them doing nothing and that somehow causes harrassment so you can't get called on your bullshit?

But I would agree with PeeZus when he says "it is inappropriate to call it a tool against misogynistic harassment". It is a tool used FOR harrassment - of both men and women - who slimy turd ool0n doesn't like. A point not lost on Paul Mason (even though other people had to point it out to him)

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Hey guise.
Do you like my new haircut?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/9425 ... af3f92.jpg
I think it's a bit too short at the bottom.
http://static.ylilauta.org/files/y9/ori ... lauipa.jpg

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Poor Stefunny is all major butthurting (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -happened/) about the Pit's FTB Sex Fantasy poll (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=346).

So, of course, she posts a rage about it. Her rage is mainly a bunch of screenshots from some friend of Stefunny's Facebook wall. The Facebook wall includes 2 Pitters, 14 un-named mystery "firends" (friends of Stefunny, of course, because they support her opinion), Mallorie Nasrallah, and a few other somewhat familiar names. Most intersting is that the clearest, best worded defence of the poll comes from Mallorie Nasrallah. Of course Stefunny doesn't get it. Also interesting is that there are not very many comments replying to Stefunny's loopy post. This kind of thing would usually have them all flooding the royal ragey tears, but not so far.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

WTF is PZ talking about? Oolon even admitted that most of the people on the Fail_Bot are there for the crime of being "boring" in Oolon's eyes.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

16bitheretic wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
I mention it because she doesn't display any evidence of having actually played many of these titles, and would it really be so hard for her to capture some of her own footage to show that yes, she really did sit down with these games and analyze them without just browsing a 10 minute chunk on someone's Let's Play run or just copying Wiki info?
She also failed to mention that 2 of the 5 player characters you can play as to kill Angel are female, so the idea that borderlands 2 is always this patriarchal "you play as a guy and kill the helpless girl" is bullshit. Now did she simply neglect to mention this stuff by accident, or to further her agenda, or was it pure ignorance as she apparently watched and downloaded a YT Let's Play vid?
Good questions. Too bad the comments are closed on that video as they would have been good ones to challenge her on. She and PZ seem to be birds of a feather – certainly not skeptics, not people willing to hear their preconceptions challenged.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Thanks Parody Accountant.
I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

A good quote from the Stefunny ragey post screenshots, where Mallorie Nasrallah, in describing the poll says:
... The best I have to work with us my own mind. I understand people being off put by this. I do not understand a stronger reaction. Its not a threat. its not violence. its mean spirited but not like wishing death on someone. I cant give this the same level of disgust and concern I can for someone getting punched for example. again, not reaching your conclusions about how bad this is does not make me incapable of empathy. further I understand that it probably feels reactionary to the people who wrote it, and from that vantage point it probably doesnt seem bad at all.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

AndrewV69 wrote:Razib over at GNXP chips in about Reza Aslan who someone mentioned here recently.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... ientalism/
My own personal and subjective experience is why I am very interested in the Reza Aslan kerfuffle, which I became aware of only over the past day or so. If you don’t want to follow the link, basically a Fox News interviewer expressed implied disapproval and obvious skepticism that Aslan, a professing Muslim, would write an analysis of the life of Jesus, Zealot (the surprise and initial question isn’t that big of a deal, see this interview on NPR’s Fresh Air). I think it is important to observe here that Aslan was an evangelical Christian before he was a believing Muslim. Though raised in a nominal Muslim Persian family (his father is an atheist, his mother is now an evangelical Christian), the first religion which he accepted with deep conviction was evangelical Protestant Christianity.
Just a reminder that Razib is a very aggressive moderator. Do not be surprised if your first comment is your last (and no he has not banned me ... yet).
FWIW, my impression of that interview was that the interviewer asked a fairly reasonable question. Especially since this was meant for a popular audience, not a scholarly conference. And rather than explain what it was about Jesus that he found interesting enough to write a book about, he spent the rest of the interview being a condescending jerk. Not the first time, either. Sorry, I don't like Reza Aslan. As a human being, he gives me the creeps.

acathode

Post by acathode »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Why does it matter if she ripped Let's Play videos? Who cares?
Because the fact that she hasn't captured her own game play strongly hints to the fact that she actually haven't played the game herself, a suspicion that's heavily strengthened by the numerous factual errors and omission of critical information in her videos (or are those deliberate dishonesty?).

How seriously would you treat someone who are trying to critique problematic plot devices in a book or movie, after it turns out that the person never actually read the book or watched the movie, only read the blurbs on the back of the cover and read the wikipedia summary?

Also, those that donated might be wondering what the kickstarter funds are going to, if she isn't actually buying and playing the games she's talking about?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
another lurker wrote: I should probably change my nym, I have been around here long enough, and 'another lurker' just sounds too anonymous. Or something.
Is "Carlos Danger" taken?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
another lurker wrote: I should probably change my nym, I have been around here long enough, and 'another lurker' just sounds too anonymous. Or something.
Is "Carlos Danger" taken?
http://www.vanden-eykel.com/venomwangx.jpg

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Hi 80 trillion guests over the last/next few days. Thank you for being skeptical enough to actually check the source! Let me explain... You've been lied to. It's more like this.

http://i.imgur.com/O5Nkinf.png

and like this.

http://i.imgur.com/7BER2yk.png

and like this.

http://i.imgur.com/XOwy2C4.png

Make an alternate name and decide for yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/9YVz5Oz.png

Pick up the phone.

/end repetitive repostings
/end repetitive repostings

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John Greg wrote:Poor Stefunny is all major butthurting
Quick, somebody call her a whaaahmbulance.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

KiwiInOz wrote:Come on people. Write something so my god awful drivel/doggerel can be swamped and hidden.
Uh - uh. You wrote it, you own it. Besides, Yeminy is clearly worse already - she is actually serious, which makes it worse by default.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Well, bitches, today I got to see an HP 115 and a Fairey Delta. Suck on that!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Random Lurker wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote: <snip>
Sound of the anteater slurping
Making my squishy loins sing
Jack be nimble on my candlestick
Ants dribble from your tonguelick
I'm sure I'm going to regret making this my second post here. Fuck it.

<snip>
Well done; welcome aboard.