Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Ericb

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Ericb »

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

FrankGrimes wrote:I agree. What pile on? What I saw was bullshit getting called pretty early on and as far as I'm concerned, kudos to the people that did that.
Now that I've supplied the quotes please show me this bullshit. I might well regard her as too vulnerable - but she does not seem insincere.

As for pile on - as I said to Dick Strawkins, I just mean that there were soon far more replies to her than she could be expected to field.

Now there's nowt wrong with that - but in the same circumstance I find it hard to keep track, which is maybe why she didn't catch on to people asking for stuff like "do you realise Justin wrote that blog post before you got upset" and so on.
Dave2, I'm fairly new here but I'm constantly amazed by how many trolls come here.
Again - judge for yourself now that I've dug up her quotes. She seems to sincere and consistent to me to be a troll.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dave2 wrote:
As far as I see it she is entitled to her reaction. AI are entitled to take on board what they will from it. I hope they remain sceptical.
I'm not ignoring the rest (well, kind of), I just want to focus on one point here, and that's skepticism.

I know it's generally polite to take what people say at face value, and give people the benefit of the doubt, but using people's good will and trust is what manipulators and con artists do.

We can't take this "triggering" business at face value. Someone expressing themselves is under no obligation to tap dance through the mine-field of other people's triggers. Yes, perhaps the organizers of the conference have some obligation to engage in prior restraint, assuming they can run through the canonical list of what might trigger everyone, but that seems particularly inappropriate for a secular or skeptical conference to do so.

What's more, as ERV pointed out, this person, triggered as they apparently were, made no effort at agency to avoid their own triggers and otherwise had a splendid time at the bar unencumbered by PSTD or the need to cower in the corner having flashbacks. I'm familiar with her Tweets from the conference and they were oddly provocative, almost trollish, for someone who seems to think the world is on double-secret probation over her triggers.

As someone unfortunately familiar with the ways of alkies and addicts, there's a phenomena of telling "War Stories" among that group, almost a form of one-upmanship over who was the most low-bottom piece of shit. Similarly, from being around women talking amongst themselves about their boyfriends, there's another arms race over telling tales about whose guy is the most clueless and dysfunctional. I would bet money that among people who like to talk about "triggering" there's a similar arms race over who can act most drooling Pavlovian over the smallest bell. So maybe I'm just an insensitive asshole, but there's a histrionic aspect to people on about "triggering" that should not be ignored.

Mostly, like all things, this PSTD-based language began in truth and ended up in a con. I'm not denying that people legitimately suffer from PSTD. What I am saying is that "triggering" has been adopted by a bunch of mewling self-obsessed manipulators as another "game" they can play in the furtherance of their ideology, even if all they are doing is attempting to make people feel bad and shut them up.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dave2 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:As I recall the girl in question got a mixed reception here. Some were aggressive towards her and some were friendly. I certainly tried to be friendly. But, as you admit, this is not going to be a safe space for her.
Yes, and the sensible and even sympathetic response would be "just to let you know, there will be stuff in the offing that will offend you".

Not "ugh ugh ugh a million trolls over her ugh".
Because this place is all about uniform opinions and reactions.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Southern wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:As I recall the girl in question got a mixed reception here. Some were aggressive towards her and some were friendly. I certainly tried to be friendly. But, as you admit, this is not going to be a safe space for her.
Yes, and the sensible and even sympathetic response would be "just to let you know, there will be stuff in the offing that will offend you".

Because this place is all about uniform opinions and reactions.
Don't strawman.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mykeru - good post. I want to take a break now though. Will get to it later.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I would be interested in knowing (as far as it's possible without compromising someone's carrer) what fields the Pitters work in.

So far, as my memory goes:

Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)
John C. Welch: IT
Skep Tickle: M.D
Barn Owl: Teaching at medical school
John Greg: English Literature
Steersman: Pain in the ass, Ph.D
Me: Musician

If I have any of these wrong, please let me know. And feel free to add yours as well. This is not for doxxing purposes, it's just out of curiosity (and might come in handy if a certain subject pops up).
ReneeHendricks: Web Production Manager/Web Developer

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil Giordana: Musician, skydiving instructor
Sacha: dog expert, and managing director of Gender Traitors International
AndrewV69: IT (Z/OS, Solaris, AIX, DB2, Linux, blah blah blah ... long since retired)
Michael J: IT
Za-zen: Proprietor, employer, general hate figure of a company that will not fund/ donate to, or in any other way support any organisation that promotes the Fftb fuckwits. Money talks.
KiwiInOz: Environmental consultancy stuff - sustainable development and climate adaptation at the mo.
JackRayner: Digital artist [illustration/animation/design, mostly too broad to bother listing]. Just earned my Bachelor's a few months ago.
Gefan: Formerly Production Manager, now semi-retired and consulting part-time
FrankGrimes: Musician, but studied English Lit, History, philosophy and sociology at uni.
Windy: biology, mostly fishies
Zenspace: Photographic artist and general life philosopher
mike150160 (new guy): Ph.D. Oncology. Make the drugs safe for the Big Pharma
TheMudbrooker: Pipelayer/General Laborer
Cunning Punt: mechanical engineer, mostly consumer product design
Anonymous Cowherd: Cognitive Science (retired), Research Consultancy (retired), Bloated Plutocrat (Manhattan anyone?)
Lsuoma: PhD Quantum Chemistry, Computer-Aided Drug Design, Bioinformatics, DBA, Operations and Development Manager, Cloud Services
Remick: Embedded Software Engineer, mainly defense, real time OS systems.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Mykeru wrote:As someone unfortunately familiar with the ways of alkies and addicts, there's a phenomena of telling "War Stories" among that group, almost a form of one-upmanship over who was the most low-bottom piece of shit.
HA ha! YES.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Hunt wrote:
Mykeru wrote:As someone unfortunately familiar with the ways of alkies and addicts, there's a phenomena of telling "War Stories" among that group, almost a form of one-upmanship over who was the most low-bottom piece of shit.
HA ha! YES.
The woman I know that just started having episodes of anxiety, who probably still hasn't written to Abbie, was warned by me that if she got into a group of "fellow sufferers" to beware of the people into being a More Sad Case Than Thou. They, like addicts and Alkies and people giving their PSTD a big warm hug, will suck the fucking life out of you.

That sort of phenomena happens among the Social Justice Warriors, where stories of oppression are shared, because who can make the case of being most oppressed is money in the hierarchical bank. And if you can't find a good enough tale of oppression to put you on the same tier as the next person, relegating one to silence or, even worse, apology, one can always share in the oppression of one's group identity even if one, as an individual, is Will Smith's kid.

You know that's the case with the poor withering "triggered" people. You get anti-points for actual strength and resilience. The pecking order is determined by how bad you got it.

Which is another reason I don't give a fuck about some people's supposed "triggers".

codelette

Post by codelette »

So, if tit size is an indicator for sexism; most Black/Caribbean men are enlightened feminists. In PR, ass is king.

Codelette: EE, Telecom (TDM transport, telephony, MW systems)

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

AndrewV69: IT (Z/OS, Solaris, AIX, DB2, Linux, blah blah blah ... long since retired)
Za-zen: Proprietor, employer, general hate figure of a company that will not fund/ donate to, or in any other way support any organisation that promotes the Fftb fuckwits. Money talks.
KiwiInOz: Environmental consultancy stuff - sustainable development and climate adaptation at the mo.
JackRayner: Digital artist [illustration/animation/design, mostly too broad to bother listing]. Just earned my Bachelor's a few months ago.
FrankGrimes: Musician, but studied English Lit, History, philosophy and sociology at uni.
Anonymous Cowherd: Cognitive Science (retired), Research Consultancy (retired), Bloated Plutocrat (Manhattan anyone?)
Lsuoma: PhD Quantum Chemistry, Computer-Aided Drug Design, Bioinformatics, DBA, Operations and Development Manager, Cloud Services
VAXherd: PhD Sociology. Work in Science IT. Currently Neuroimaging, formerly Space Plasma Physics, Sociology, Computer Science

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

VAXherd wrote:Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)
VAXherd: PhD Sociology. Work in Science IT. Currently Neuroimaging, formerly Space Plasma Physics, Sociology, Computer Science
Reads like a goddamn Mensa roll call. Who the hell let me in this group?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy: Along the lines of what JackRayner does. Definitely not a Timelord like Lsuoma is.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Definitely not a Timelord like Lsuoma is.
Which is readily apparent in that I did not make it easily re-quotable. One sec...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy: Along the lines of what JackRayner does. Definitely not a Timelord like Lsuoma is.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

free thought police: semi-retired, makes fishing lures, slumlord

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gefan wrote:
Here, let me drag the average down

Mykeru: GS-12/5 Computer Specialist (WebPresence, TelePresence, Multi-Media, Graphics). BA Analytic Philosophy/Journalism (NAU). Premise Sign/Billboard Painter/Construction

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
JackRayner wrote:Many criticize his style, but @ElevatorGate is great at digging up all kinds of stupid. I'm not quite sure how he does it. A great example is the following individual, who jumps straight to "racism" when evidence leads health orgs to determine that certain ethnicities are at higher risks of certain disorders;
So, if I look at the evidence, and see that lighter skinned people are more susceptible to skin cancer, and create guidelines around this, does that make me a racist? Oh, wait! I forgot...you can't be racist towards white people. Dammit! I'm such a noob when it comes to this whole intersectionality thing. I'm gonna need to spend a bit more time at the re-education camp....
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... y/twak.gif
And what about Sickle-cell anemia? SJWism and science seem to be quite incompatible...
Genuine question. Is there a word which a sociologist would use to describe a member of an "oppressed" race behaving badly towards a member of another "oppressed" race because of that racial difference.

As an example, an south east Asian Person behaving badly towards a person from India. Both of these are 2nd generation immigrants in the US, to try and keep things simple, and are of the same age and gender.

I can see that they don't want to use the word racism, but still, they must still have to describe the pattern of behaviour somehow.

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
welch wrote:

Aww, you quoted Shermer at me. I'm flattered. But, again, you've clearly made up your mind. Why bother when observational data tells me you're going to apply a ridiculously narrow definition of valid to anything I show you, and you'll never quite get around to ever clearly defining what would be "valid". Even I know a waste of time when I see one.
You're much kinder. I have a very low tolerance for willful stupidity and opted out of ever arguing with him again. Like you said, he will not accept any evidence as valid.
If you look at the thrust of my reply, I don't think I was kind at all. I was polite, but that's about all you can say about it.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Dave2 wrote:

What I remember is that she dropped in, lied all over the place, and left before answering a single important question. A bunch went prostrate immediately, and some called bullshit. Of the latter, some spent some time discussing the psychology behind her supposed episode, and some [ :greetings-wavingyellow: ] had a discussion over the facts of the matter; when the tweets about being triggered went up, when she posted the tweet about the blog and discussed how horrible Vacula was for posting it, and what the blog actually said, which had nothing to do with her episode.

If our display of disdain for individuals attempting smears behind the guise of vulnerability is off putting to you, then maybe a Fuck Off! is in order.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Dave2: After the shit Abbie has taken from those fuckwits, I do think she's entitled to be pissy and calous.
Sure - to Them. I don't care about her getting angry at Them.

Fire away!!

But there are bystanders.
Im not 'angry' at anyone. You can either coddle the poor poor baby and help her indulge in non-productive (I would say damaging) behaviors (who was fit as a fiddle to attack Justin, and apparently spend the rest of the day having a blast at the Con, btw), or believe that she genuinely has psychological problems/needs and address them honestly.

It was obvious she was *not* under the care of a therapist of any form, or if she was, she was ignoring their advice in preference to some random assholes on the internet who call themselves 'feminists'. If she is too afraid of help and runs to the arms of woo, its not my problem. Its also not Justins problem.

Yep. I tried to point out that it's rather silly to expect people who don't know her to correctly read her mind about what she REALLY meant with her tweets.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)
katamari Damassi: radiation therapist

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Mykeru wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Here, let me drag the average down

Mykeru: GS-12/5 Computer Specialist (WebPresence, TelePresence, Multi-Media, Graphics). BA Analytic Philosophy/Journalism (NAU). Premise Sign/Billboard Painter/Construction
Edward Gemmer: Protection, Instruction, & Management of Prostitutes

welch

Post by welch »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tfoot wrote:the dirt on Justin Griffith n PZ myers.

In the month or two I was on the backchannel Justin seemed to always be shamelessly and obsequiously grovelling for PZ myers approval and validation. PZ in return was a dick to him, but in a way that he was left with the clear impression that griffith was wrong, that his grovelling was the right thing to do, its just he hadnt done it well enough.

It was chatter like this on the backchannel that first clued me in to what a toxic and detached environment FTB was. Arguments should be discussed on merits, and when a significant portion of the chatter is about 'publicly' (on a mailing list) humping the top dogs leg, or the top dog chastising the underlings for not doing it well enough.....thats a pretty big red flag!

I think this is why Griffiths was so keen to bad mouth the slyme pit and pretty much anyone else. Its what he though would FINALLY get PZ to pat him on the head.

Kinda sad really.
Yeah, but it seems Justin is realising that now, and I for one won't blame him. I think he's joining the EBW crowd of people realising they have been conned. Good for him, I say!
I agree. People do the dumbest things when they believe in nonsense and without a proper context it is hard to judge with any reliability the cause of their behaviour. It is easy to forget how poisonous some at FtB are. If you go in thinking they are decent then it is natural to assume the fault lays with yourself when they abuse you. It is also natural to assume what they say is true.

A key concept of skeptisism is being able to change one's mind. The fact he did and did it publicly is something he should be commended for. It is not for me to ask others to forgive and forget. But a bit of charity when someone says 'sorry' is better than behaving like the narcissists they are and demanding a pound of flesh.
As well, at the time, Justin was trying to organize a second RBB festival, and so needed, sadly, the goodwill of the twats like PZ. He was actually trying to do something I felt was important, and as it's not like any of the FC(n) ink I'm anything but a "vicious piece of shit", what, they'd like me less?

I think he went overboard with the bus, but, I understood why, and had told him directly that I wasn't going to feel particularly bad about it, so do what you have to do.

I'm not going to bag on him over how long it took him to admit things. The fact he did it, and publicly works for me.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Whig: Unemployed lower-middle class former Higher Education office drone

I cruise the pit in between filling out online job applications.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Yeah, right...

Ctrl C + Ctrl V...

welch

Re: Alien+

Post by welch »

Remick wrote:
welch wrote:
Remick wrote:
They often do it without knowing anything about the appearance of the presumed "loozer" they are insulting. Besides, ugly people have sex all the time, so do fat people.

Virgin shaming is the different side of the same slut shaming coin. If you want to be morally equivalent, slut shame them or virgin shame them. I don't see what that has to do with their faces or weight.

Then there is also the point that they offer so much substance to be attacked, why not go after that? Why ALWAYS go after the low hanging fruit. It's lazy, and gives them ammunition that their flock eats up. You want to help their flock wake up? Stop giving the "dear leaders" bread to hand out.
When you actually make the argument that slut shaming is okay, but bagging on her pasty ass is not, I think you're way in the weeds. She and her ilk happily bag on personal characteristics of people to shut them up. If the same happening to her bothers her, then maybe she should not be so willing to indulge when it suits her.
Where did I say slut shaming was ok? I was merely pointing out that bagging on personal characteristics isn't the equivalent to virgin shaming. Slut shaming/virgin shaming are two sides of the same coin, do you disagree with this?
I.e., in this case, slut-shaming is okay, but bagging on her appearance is not. And I obviously disagree with you on appearance being unrelated to virgin-shaming.
Remick wrote:Insulting appearance is equivalent with itself.

Calling someone a virgin or implying that they will always be one could be an insult to physical appearance, but that would require that the speaker knows what your appearance is. I've seen them often do this to 'nyms when they have no idea what the person looks like. Just implied that their viewpoints/arguments makes them a "loozer" who will never get laid. C'mon Welch, I expect better reading comprehension out of you.
Oh bullshit. When you call someone a virgin living in his mom's garage who will never be in the same room as a naked woman, no one is ever, EVER implying that you're one handsome motherfucker who would be swimming in poontang if you possessed a better personality. Neither Johnny depp or Brad Pitt are the image that comes to anyone's mind when the "you're a lonely virgin" shit is used. The inference, and it's hardly subtle, is that you're a fat, ugly, shitty human being. At *best*, "fat" is not always implicated, but ugly? Yeah, that's a part of it.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Tribble wrote:
sacha wrote:
JackRayner wrote: This is about as much tit as you misogynists will get out of me! The rest is for my private stash! :snooty:
small perky tits are by far sexier than big voluptuous floppy things.

she has a great figure
That reminds me, I recently read (somewhere on the Internet) that breast-size in female companionship is a predictor of sexist attitudes in men. In short, the bigger the boobs, the greater the sexism. It was obviously a population study and not an individual predictor.

I thought it interesting, though I left it at that.
Hm... :think:
TheMan wrote: I read somewhere on the internet if you like small tits on a woman it's a predictor to pedophilia....
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /rofl2.gif

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Codelette: EE, Telecom (TDM transport, telephony, MW systems
Greylurker: Electronic Engineer, custom railway and subsea stuff

Think I have gathered up the strays

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave: Pointy-Haired Boss and Lawyer. I once knew IT, but they made me forget how to actually do anything when I got a secretary.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)
Oh, and I is a published author, three books, two assists, one solo. One of the assists was the only book, that I'm aware of on OS X Server 1.X, and sold quite well for a bit.

So PZ has yet to catch up to me :-P

dresq

Post by dresq »

Tigzy wrote:
dresq: Clinical and forensic psychology

JAB

Post by JAB »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)

Yeah, right...

Ctrl C + Ctrl V...
JAB: MSc Physics, did a few years of contract industrial research, then went into a teaching Lab Tech job in undergrad Physics labs and have been doing that for a couple decades. Secondary duties along the way include things like Radiation Safety Officer.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Dave2 wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:I agree. What pile on? What I saw was bullshit getting called pretty early on and as far as I'm concerned, kudos to the people that did that.
Now that I've supplied the quotes please show me this bullshit. I might well regard her as too vulnerable - but she does not seem insincere.

As for pile on - as I said to Dick Strawkins, I just mean that there were soon far more replies to her than she could be expected to field.

Now there's nowt wrong with that - but in the same circumstance I find it hard to keep track, which is maybe why she didn't catch on to people asking for stuff like "do you realise Justin wrote that blog post before you got upset" and so on.
Dave2, I'm fairly new here but I'm constantly amazed by how many trolls come here.
Again - judge for yourself now that I've dug up her quotes. She seems to sincere and consistent to me to be a troll.
Right. You provided her quotes with no context at all. In this post, Karla Porter links to the original tweet:

viewtopic.php?p=105877#p105877

Now, how could you take that any other way than how it was originally taken? Also, after the initially critical posts (there are six critical posts before Aycenne's first) there was a flood of apologies. Is this the pile on you're talking about?

Seems to me that after the fact, she backtracked and tried to say it was all just about the slides. And why do I think that? Because bhoytony points out in this post: viewtopic.php?p=105939#p105939 that the first link in the Twitter exchange was to JV's 25th June post about anti-harassment policies. http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... n-ireland/

JackRayner summarises here:

viewtopic.php?p=106052#p106052

At this point, no pile on that I can see. You say that "... there were soon far more replies to her than she could be expected to field." Really? Where? Where did she reply to anything anyone wrote that questioned her integrity? And how many posts actually questioned her story? A handful at best I'd say although if you can link to the "far more replies" I'd be happy to change my mind on that.

Then there's this:

"I saw you at the conference - you were vocal, energized, excited throughout. As far as I remember there was only 1 session that had any use of images, that was early on, and you were pretty cool/outgoing/participating/tweeting afterwards? Or am I mixing up the sessions? I remember your love for Elidia Radig very clearly."

viewtopic.php?p=106169#p106169

Then this:

Hmmm... "... sincere and consistent ..." I think not.

At this stage we're nearly 300 posts after her original and still no pile on.

Then this, which is a list of her tweets the afternoon she was supposed to have been triggered:

viewtopic.php?p=106180#p106180

Some people react differently I suppose?

From what I have read just now, and from what I was reading at the time there was no pile on.

Look, I'm not saying she was trolling. I think she just posted some stuff without thinking and was probably caught up in the moment. Either way, who cares. Bottom line, no pile on and definitely inconsistent and not exactly sincere.

Most people here are skeptical and for good reason it would seem.

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

jimmy wrote:Genuine question. Is there a word which a sociologist would use to describe a member of an "oppressed" race behaving badly towards a member of another "oppressed" race because of that racial difference.

As an example, an south east Asian Person behaving badly towards a person from India. Both of these are 2nd generation immigrants in the US, to try and keep things simple, and are of the same age and gender.

I can see that they don't want to use the word racism, but still, they must still have to describe the pattern of behaviour somehow.
It wasn't my area, but the phrase that comes to mind is "inter-ethnic conflict".

For any given study, though, they would describe exactly what was being examined and how. For example: Is the problem brought over from the old country, or is it about something local? Is it more like discrimination in hiring, or street violence?

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Gefan wrote:
VAXherd wrote:*Mostly impressive list of occupations*
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 10a528.png

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Dave: Pointy-Haired Boss and Lawyer. I once knew IT, but they made me forget how to actually do anything when I got a secretary
welch:Oh, and I is a published author, three books, two assists, one solo. One of the assists was the only book, that I'm aware of on OS X Server 1.X, and sold quite well for a bit.
JAB: MSc Physics, did a few years of contract industrial research, then went into a teaching Lab Tech job in undergrad Physics labs and have been doing that for a couple decades. Secondary duties along the way include things like Radiation Safety Officer.

Feck's sake, this goes too fast

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Holy shit snacks! Looking at other Slymer's jobs/occupations/etc. I feel like that prehistoric man trying to figure out what the fuck this round thing that rolls is.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Dave: Pointy-Haired Boss and Lawyer. I once knew IT, but they made me forget how to actually do anything when I got a secretary.
Angry)Drunk: Inebriate.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

jimmy wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
JackRayner wrote:Many criticize his style, but @ElevatorGate is great at digging up all kinds of stupid. I'm not quite sure how he does it. A great example is the following individual, who jumps straight to "racism" when evidence leads health orgs to determine that certain ethnicities are at higher risks of certain disorders;
So, if I look at the evidence, and see that lighter skinned people are more susceptible to skin cancer, and create guidelines around this, does that make me a racist? Oh, wait! I forgot...you can't be racist towards white people. Dammit! I'm such a noob when it comes to this whole intersectionality thing. I'm gonna need to spend a bit more time at the re-education camp....
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... y/twak.gif
And what about Sickle-cell anemia? SJWism and science seem to be quite incompatible...
Genuine question. Is there a word which a sociologist would use to describe a member of an "oppressed" race behaving badly towards a member of another "oppressed" race because of that racial difference.

I've seen the word prejudice being used. Prejudice plus power = Racism. They gave whites a special word as they are themselves racist. A casual glance at the A+ forums and some blogs (such as Zvan's) are very racist and highly sexist. This is one reason why the deluded such as Carrier got so much push back with his ignorant promotion of A+ recently.

Practically speaking the word distinction is meaningless. It is just another way for dogmatists to promote some vacuous ideology, spread guilt as a control mechanism and assert victim hood. The black people I know would tell them to stop trying to remove their agency and to stop being deeply patronising.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Angry_Drunk wrote: Angry)Drunk: Inebriate.
Shouldnt that be Irritated Inebriate? Or is the irritation just your avocation?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Abbie: Virology (ERV, to be precise)
JackSkeptic: Professional qualification and practitioner until recently. Now semi retired.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Great compilation there, FrankGrimes. On point. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... hand10.gif

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

JackRayner wrote:Great compilation there, FrankGrimes. On point. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... hand10.gif
Thanks. Took a while but seemed like it needed to be done. Doubt I'll get a backdown in light of this amazing new evidence.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:
Don't feel bad. A trained monkey can do my job. Come to think of it, a trained monkey DOES do my job.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

JackSkeptic: Professional qualification and practitioner until recently. Now semi retired.
debaser71: ex IT, stay at home dad

Slither

Post by Slither »

Slither: Ph.D. Computer Science, academic

Parge

Post by Parge »

John C. Welch: IT, published author, three books, two assists, one solo. One of the assists was the only book, that I'm aware of on OS X Server 1.X, and sold quite well for a bit.
Dave: Pointy-Haired Boss and Lawyer. I once knew IT, but they made me forget how to actually do anything when I got a secretary
Parge: Java/Web Developer, Ex-Corpsman USNR

(More strays? Consolidated JCW because tidiness. Also there was a Mykeru dupe)

Git

Post by Git »

Git: Former Software Developer (Big Data), also recently acquired a BSc. in Astrophysics. Cat Slave, Goth, and Gobshite.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Don't feel bad. A trained monkey can do my job. Come to think of it, a trained monkey DOES do my job.
Yes, I is a tech monkey. Although in my prior career in outdoor advertising (damn you, vinyl!) being an actual monkey would have helped. Often when I have a roomful of MIPs (marginally important people) local and more MIPs in a remote other-side-of-the-planet location thanks to the magic of PRI and a Polycom 8000 system doing a round of introduction, I claim to be the "AV guy".

Stay under the radar and fly nap of the earth, kids.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I sometimes wonder why Chas keeps hanging out with the FC(n). I would have thought they would have driven him crazy by now. He does keep tying to inject some sanity in those parts, but not too successfully IMO.
I have a feeling his time at Swan's place is just about, if not already, over.
You might say it's his ... Svansong?

*dodges rotten fruit*

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Parge wrote: Also there was a Mykeru dupe
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/im ... /Moron.jpg

What someone duped by Mykeru may look like.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John C. Welch: IT, published author, three books, two assists, one solo. One of the assists was the only book, that I'm aware of on OS X Server 1.X, and sold quite well for a bit.
Parge: Java/Web Developer, Ex-Corpsman USNR
Badger3k: High School teacher (biology & others)

Fixed mine now.

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

JackSkeptic wrote:
jimmy wrote:Genuine question. Is there a word which a sociologist would use to describe a member of an "oppressed" race behaving badly towards a member of another "oppressed" race because of that racial difference.
[…]
I've seen the word prejudice being used. Prejudice plus power = Racism. They gave whites a special word as they are themselves racist. A casual glance at the A+ forums and some blogs (such as Zvan's) are very racist and highly sexist. This is one reason why the deluded such as Carrier got so much push back with his ignorant promotion of A+ recently.

Practically speaking the word distinction is meaningless. It is just another way for dogmatists to promote some vacuous ideology, spread guilt as a control mechanism and assert victim hood. The black people I know would tell them to stop trying to remove their agency and to stop being deeply patronising.
The destination between Sociologists and SJWs aside . . .

The word prejudice is good, as are discrimination and disadvantaged. But in anything serious I still think you're more likely to get a precise and sciencey-sounding phrase, rather than a pithy one word term.

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

In other news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fr ... e-23227452

Do we need a whip round for Mr Vacula to hop over and sort this out.

JAB

Post by JAB »

With this nerd roll call, I thought I'd put up this video. The main reason is that I've been on the internet for a long time and have yet to share a cute cat vid or pic, and I believe it's an obligation I've been ducking, so:

[youtube]rkWy8nRWPGk[/youtube]

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

^^ Distinction not "destination".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Pitchguest wrote:
Hunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I sometimes wonder why Chas keeps hanging out with the FC(n). I would have thought they would have driven him crazy by now. He does keep tying to inject some sanity in those parts, but not too successfully IMO.
I have a feeling his time at Swan's place is just about, if not already, over.
You might say it's his ... Svansong?

*dodges rotten fruit*
That was a thing of beauty.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

jimmy wrote:In other news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fr ... e-23227452

Do we need a whip round for Mr Vacula to hop over and sort this out.
Apparently the film "triggers" theist who haven't seen or don't understand it. Nothing you can do about that. "Triggering" wins again.