DGS

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by DGS »

...searching for that 'smiley'...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

DGS: do you need someone to mansplain how to post links?

decius

Post by decius »

Removing the dot before http would help.

decius

Post by decius »

And the ghost bracket at the end.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Apples wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Regardless, it is point blank unacceptable to split a public forum in a university, by gender. Under any circumstances.
Just out of curiosity, do you think it should be legal for there to be women's colleges like Smith/Wellesley/Mt. Holyoke in the US?
I think most Universities in Britain are Government-funded (mostly). I'm sure one could set up an Islamic university and allow segregated seating, even at public events.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

You need something like

Code: Select all

[url]http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mansplain[/url]

LMU

Post by LMU »

DGS wrote:FFS delete these failures

Here it is all shiny and happy (if it doesnt work - kill me!) [img].http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mansplain%20][/img]
:lol: There is no edit button, they will be there until the stars go out and the internet dies.

The trick is to remember to use the preview button whenever you try something clever :)

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote:You need something like

I don't know, chicks wanting to know how to do computer stuff, ridiculous. They'll be wanting us to explain the offside rule next.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:

I don't know, chicks wanting to know how to do computer stuff, ridiculous. They'll be wanting us to explain the offside rule next.
Or the value of a good forward defensive stroke.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Gumby wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Given the context of the convo, it's kind of hard to see where she's being satirical, exactly:

https://twitter.com/dELYSEious/status/3 ... 6096526337
Yeah I'm not seeing any satire or snark either. She's nuckin' futs.
Fucking hiarious:

http://i.imgur.com/PoYEgpR.png

Amanda: if it was legal, they would not have been underage. How do you make it through life when this confuses you?

Elyse, whose lovely nickname means "motherfucker": the age of consent is arbitrary, based upon a society's consensus opinion on what is appropriate at what age. Just like buying tobacco or alcohol.

How the fuck you people even manage to make it to work in the morning I will never know.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

Eh?

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Regardless, it is point blank unacceptable to split a public forum in a university, by gender. Under any circumstances.
Just out of curiosity, do you think it should be legal for there to be women's colleges like Smith/Wellesley/Mt. Holyoke in the US?
Are they privately funded?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

bhoytony wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

Eh?
It's a cricketing term. Lsuoma is the third Earl of Cuntshire, and such things fascinate him.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Eh?
It's a cricketing term. Lsuoma is the third Earl of Cuntshire, and such things fascinate him.
Ahh, as a Scot I have heard of this strange native pastime, but have never seen the savages indulging in it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I stole it from General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett VC DSO KCB.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

bhoytony wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Eh?
Ahh, as a Scot I have heard of this strange native pastime, but have never seen the savages indulging in it.
You're quite right to look down on them as savages. Indeed, the Scotch folk are a proud and dignified race who emphasize intelligence as a virtue.

[youtube]cQeZoMxrpTI[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

You're quite right to look down on them as savages. Indeed, the Scotch folk are a proud and dignified race who emphasize intelligence as a virtue.
Yes I agree. I live in england amongst the indigenous tribes trying to civilise them and I have yet to see one of them intoxicated by strong drink.

Apples

Post by Apples »

welch wrote:
Apples wrote:
Are they privately funded?
You can probably answer that question as well as I can, but AFAIK -- liberal arts colleges are mostly run on their endowments and tuition (but also usually benefit in various ways from government grants and government subsidies of tuition/loans for their students -- not too mention significant tax advantages as non-profit institutions). So even "private" institutions in the US are partially "public" -- private research universities even moreso.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Come all ye psychologists, has anyone come across the concept of the Victim-Rescuer-Persecutor triangle, AKA the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpman_drama_triangle ?

Git

Post by Git »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:How the fuck you people even manage to make it to work in the morning I will never know.
What would they know about work? Or earning a honest living?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bhoytony wrote:
Yes I agree. I live in england amongst the indigenous tribes trying to civilise them and I have yet to see one of them intoxicated by strong drink.
Right right. Except for these race traitors:
jillkilt.jpg
(94.75 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

DGS

Post by DGS »

Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

Oh, reading this I was thinking something similar L. Anyways to Boytony,

Not a chick. I'm a fully fledged bird, thanks sonny!

And I know the offside rule. Unless your referring to archaic UK footie cultural practices..;)

Thank YOU Lsumoa. I am trying to get to grips with the parental controls on my browser!

Have the day off tomorrow and no deadlines so will see if I can catch up on here - as long as Wilko or Primark don't have sales on...;D

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Have a read through the various personality types, the similarities with certain people are striking.

Couple this concept with francs favourite slave morality literature.
The "game" position of Rescuer is distinct from that of a genuine rescuer in an emergency, such as a firefighter who saves a victim from a burning building or a lifeguard who saves a victim from drowning. As a drama role, there is something dishonest or unspoken about the Rescuer's attempts, or at best, a mixed motive or need to be a rescuer or have a victim to help. In fact, 'The Karpman Triangle game inhibits real problem-solving...creates confusion and distress, not solutions'.[10] A drama triangle "Rescuer" plays the role more because they are driven to be a rescuer as a way of avoiding looking at their own anxiety, underlying feelings than because the victim needs their involvement, as in the case of a fireman/rescuer.

DGS

Post by DGS »

DGS wrote:
Thank YOU Lsumoa. I am trying to get to grips with the parental controls on my browser!
Which, of course, I implemented!

JAB

Re: stop confusing me with the facts

Post by JAB »

Pitchguest wrote:
JAB wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: I don't get it. Nowhere in the article does it say the woman was homeless- is Dover Street a trailer park? A homeless shelter?

While it's disgraceful that she was charged 5 years for the enrollment as well (especially in a country like the US, where education is sorely needed), it does seem the case was about the drugs she sold to an undercover police - twice. It's therefore very dishonest to paint the case in just the terms Kassiane did, that she was sentenced to jail *just* for the enrollment (which, again, is pretty fucked up). However that is unfortunately the kind of thing we've come to expect from Atheism Plus. Some "third wave of atheism" that turned out to be.
She was charged because she lived in one municipality and enrolled the kid in another using someone else's address. Education is controlled and paid for etc at the municipal level. Following links in the news site it appears the kid is now living with the grandparent now and attending school in the district he/she should have all along. Ironically enough the mother was arrested for selling crack in front of a school in that district, so I wonder if that didn't sway the mother's opinion as to where she wanted her kid to go to school.
Oh. In the article, it said she sold the drugs in front of her home. That explains it then. Adding to the irony, if her mother didn't want her son to enroll in the school because she sold drugs outside of it, now he's going to have it even worse. Ah, self-fulfilling prophecy.
The article I read said she was arrested in front of a school in the municipality, it didn't say if that was the one the kid was to have gone to.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

AndrewV69 wrote:
I was referring to the native tribes here where I live in england. Although it is outside their usual habitat, we have wandering bands of Mackems, Geordies and the like. There is the occasional Cockney that has become confused and landed here, but they do not survive long due to the climate.

DGS

Post by DGS »

The 'big 5' model is the most up to date in personality psychology as far as I'm aware. Cant vouch for all the data on the link but it's a précis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_p ... ity_traits

I can personally recommend this little book tho http://www.amazon.com/Personality-What- ... 0199211434

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

DGS wrote:

And I know the offside rule. Unless your referring to archaic UK footie cultural practices..;)

Have the day off tomorrow and no deadlines so will see if I can catch up on here - as long as Wilko or Primark don't have sales on...;D
That's bhoytony to you, but don't worry your pretty head about the offside rule, this simple graphic should explain it to the ladies.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4473 ... 5f4fd7.png

DGS

Post by DGS »

DGS wrote:
DGS wrote:

Parental controls, I meant....I'm going to bed now. Move along...

DGS

Post by DGS »

bhoytony wrote:
DGS wrote:

That's bhoytony to you, but don't worry your pretty head about the offside rule, this simple graphic should explain it to the ladies.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4473 ... 5f4fd7.png
Okay Boytoy. Now vogue.

lurking coward

Re: stop confusing me with the facts

Post by lurking coward »

Apples wrote:Kassiane posts a thread called "Stealing an education?:
Kassiane wrote:So what I've got on this is a feministing article & a now closed petition.
http://feministing.com/2012/02/28/homel ... education/
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-pr ... norwalk-ct

Summary (TW for racially motivated heavy-handed application of rules, classism)

Norwalk, CT charged a homeless woman who enrolled her 5 year old son in school using the babysitter's address with stealing an education & sentenced her to 5 years in prison.

...for utilizing our public education system. You know, that one that says every child is guaranteed a free education and in fact is required to be there from ages 6 to 16 unless the parents make homeschooling arrangements. Racism is a factor, in addition to classism. THey don't want THOSE kids in their kindergarten class. Assholes. I dont even see what they're trying to fucking accomplish here.
Wow. That's pretty shocking - 5 years?
Iguananaut wrote:Because putting a woman in jail for nothing and taking her away from her children whom she was only trying to provide an education is exactly what's best for society. I hope these racist fuckers pull their heads out of their asses.
Relative newbie e4e5 weighs in:
e4e5 wrote:Umm, it seems that she was sentenced for selling crack cocaine to undercover policemen. Twice.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Tany ... 437974.php
So ... does Kassiane apologize, or does anyone else call her out, for being completely misleading in the OP? I'll give you three guesses.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4161
The thing about people like this (i.e. Kassisne et al) is they don't really believe their own rhetoric. It's a sick fantasy of sorts. This wasn't an honest mistake by Kassiane; she knew the charge of various and sundry isms at work here was dubious at best. She doesn't care. The me-so-oppressed identity politics thing is like a perverse role playing game. They know damn well the US and other Western democracies aren't oppressive places dominated by racists, but get off on pretending it's so, and that they are on the receiving end of the oppression. A+ isn't so much a 'safe space' for 'the marginalized' as it is a club where people with oppression fantasies can play "let's pretend we're like blacks in the Jim Crow south!" together. To be blunt, they're sick fucks.

As to WHY they get off on this, I can only speculate. It's clear they imagine being part of an 'oppressed' group makes one in some sense 'special'. Clearly there is some sort of fetishisation of ethnicity and oppression at play here, and a perverse fascination with being in some way or other disadvantaged. But I think it's telling that so many of them are white and/or have paper thin claims to 'marginalized' status.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

DGS wrote:
Okay Boytoy. Now vogue.
This sounds to me like sexual harrassment. You're making me scared.

DGS

Post by DGS »

bhoytony wrote:
DGS wrote:
Okay Boytoy. Now vogue.
This sounds to me like sexual harrassment. You're making me scared.
:P

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Sexism?

SOLVED. :dance: :clap: :o :dance: :clap:

By Nerd of Redhead.
University policy should be if there is sex segregated seating, the menz are the ones with inferior seating….
http://www.freezepage.com/1362961618UULJKYPRJS

acathode

Post by acathode »

Can users edit their comments on RDFRS?
Because
[Link to personal blog removed by moderator for 4th time. Please do not repost]
would be pretty damn hilarious if so, since it would imply Benson just couldn't take the hint and instead went and re-edited it in after it had been removed by mods... 4 times. She'd be banned from most other sites for pulling a stunt like that...

In either case, it's extremely amusing to see Benson completely fail to grasp that rules against advertisements includes not allowing people to try to drive traffic to their own blogs, and that rules apply to everyone, including her (must be such a shock to her every time she leaves FTB!).
While it's not wrong to want to share something relevant you wrote yourself, instead of repeatedly plastering it the comment section, the polite, and sane thing to do is to mail the author or site owner and ask them if they want to link to you. That way, it's their choice if they want to promote your or not, and you don't come off as a self-promoting asshole who's just trying to get traffic.

Of course, if you're only copy-pasting other people's work and not adding anything but a content-lacking sentence or two, chances are high that no one will agree to link to you and instead go directly to the one you stole from your material from quoted ...

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Sexism?

SOLVED. :dance: :clap: :o :dance: :clap:

By Nerd of Redhead.
University policy should be if there is sex segregated seating, the menz are the ones with inferior seating….
http://www.freezepage.com/1362961618UULJKYPRJS
CITATION FUCKING NEEDED! Peer reviewed and published.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:What I don't get is this: if Ophelia is so insistent that she's just providing useful information, then why not just copypaste it to the RDFRS blog, rather than link to it? It's not as if she's unfamiliar with bulk copypasting, after all. :lol:
I wonder if a directive has gone out from Oberst Lyers and Führer Brayton to GET MOAR LINKZ!

Be interesting to watch for Baboollies pushing links to FfTB on other high-traffic sites.
It's not about freeze peach it's about free google juice.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

DGS wrote:
DGS wrote:
Of course, birds have the hardest time with anything thinky, don't they?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bhoytony wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I was referring to the native tribes here where I live in england. Although it is outside their usual habitat, we have wandering bands of Mackems, Geordies and the like. There is the occasional Cockney that has become confused and landed here, but they do not survive long due to the climate.
Geordies!

[youtube]mqRkkVQ6OSE[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote:
DGS wrote:
DGS wrote:
Of course, birds have the hardest time with anything thinky, don't they?
There's no need to be disrespectful to the birds on this forum.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Hahaha!

Woohohohohohoho!!!!

Teeheeheeheeheeheehee!!!!!!!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... omens-day/

PZ has a blog post up, still thinking the Slymepit is a collective. Honestly, though, I don't really "get" the tweet at all. Actually it's pretty bad from where I'm sitting.

:confusion-shrug:

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Hahaha!

Woohohohohohoho!!!!

http://www.nickcolemanmn.com/wp-content ... erver1.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

I see the Pokémon world as a great way to teach people about actual biology. And I’m hardly the first person to think this...I’ll be exploring these topics in future PokéBiology 101 posts.
My bold.

Number of followup posts?

The three topics I most want to talk about – my research, teaching, and grad school – are the three topics I can’t talk about.
Wow, she is quite clearly well qualified to write for a major science website. You go, girl.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

bhoytony wrote:

Hahaha!

Woohohohohohoho!!!!

http://www.nickcolemanmn.com/wp-content ... erver1.jpg
Perfect.

I'm not entirely sure why, but...perfect.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

AndrewV69 wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Geordies!

[youtube]mqRkkVQ6OSE[/youtube]
Pah, I see your Stephen Fry video and raise you Al Murray and his wonderful insight into "Geordie whalesong"

[youtube]2FDcplwT-8Q[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Accents

Post by Lsuoma »

Rowley Birkin, QC. (doing a Twatson impression):

[youtube]NPiGJBHVadA[/youtube]

Next, Oz from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet:

[youtube]2FS0YrTHaEI[/youtube]

Finally, everyone's faourite Weegie:

[youtube]8k7VoFiagfs[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pitchguest wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... omens-day/

PZ has a blog post up, still thinking the Slymepit is a collective. Honestly, though, I don't really "get" the tweet at all. Actually it's pretty bad from where I'm sitting.

Yeah, from where I'm sitting too. I barely go on Twitter anymore and didn't know about it until I read your post. Astrokid has apparently decided to become a douche.

Bhurzum

Re: Accents

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:Rowley Birkin, QC
Rowdy Birkin is my favourite English character second only to Sir Henry.

[youtube]Pa4gPaQjC1M[/youtube]

Sir Henry is the man!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Rowley Birkin, QC
Rowdy Birkin is my favourite English character second only to Sir Henry.

[fooltube]Pa4gPaQjC1M[/fooltube]

Sir Henry is the man!
Agreed.

"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."

Stanshall's most enduring and amazing creation. BTW, I have a fairly large collection of unofficial Stanshall stuff. Most of it isn't that difficult to come by now, but I can make it available if you want. Or you could visit the Rawlinson End Audio Archive and the Solo Stanshall web sites.

All the original Rawlinson End stuff is there, as are the Radio Flashes.

If you've not read it, grab a copy of Ginger Geezer too, the excellent biography of Viv. I remember visiting the Old Profanity Showboat when I was a uni in Bristol, and seeing Viv down there.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: BTW, I have a fairly large collection of unofficial Stanshall stuff. Most of it isn't that difficult to come by now, but I can make it available if you want. Or you could visit the Rawlinson End Audio Archive and the Solo Stanshall web sites.

All the original Rawlinson End stuff is there, as are the Radio Flashes.

If you've not read it, grab a copy of Ginger Geezer too, the excellent biography of Viv. I remember visiting the Old Profanity Showboat when I was a uni in Bristol, and seeing Viv down there.
I've already got a wealth of early audio clips but I'll check out those links when I get home.

You can never have too much Viv in your life! :D

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:Rowley Birkin, QC. (doing a Twatson impression):

[youtube]NPiGJBHVadA[/youtube]

Next, Oz from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet:

[youtube]2FS0YrTHaEI[/youtube]

Finally, everyone's faourite Weegie:

[youtube]8k7VoFiagfs[/youtube]
Anyone who hasn't spent a fair bit of time in the UK is probably massively confused right about now.
Being familiar with the characters doesn't quite do it. Because of where I grew up, I'm reasonably fluent in Weegie but Geordie still sounds like a drunk walrus.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

One of the most impenetrable toon accents ever was Stick in "Spender".

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, my wife (Spokane born and bred) has to turn on subtitles for Weegie, Geordie, Brummie, and Scouse accents.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, my wife (Spokane born and bred) has to turn on subtitles for Weegie, Geordie, Brummie, and Scouse accents.
My wife and I had been in England only a few days when we tuned in to Rab C. Nesbitt. I still have no idea what he was on about.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hmm, just listening to the most recent Godless Bitches podcast 3.03.

A few lines from the show:
"If someone has an opinion you don't like, there is nothing compelling you to give a shit."

"It's about the idea of you not respecting what I believe. The outrage comes from a feeling of entitlement. That I am entitled to having my beliefs respected and I don't need to really offer any reason other than I respect my beliefs."

"There is no opinion that anyone else is going to hold as universally respectable."

"The idea that you're going to sort of bully people into respecting what you believe is completely wrong."

"Hate me as much as you want, tell me you hate me as much as you want - I only care when you start trying to put restrictions on me."

"You don't get to decide what I believe. You don't get to share in my opinions and I don't have to check with you to make sure that my opinions are valid through your eyes."
She was talking about crazy religious people but she could have very well been describing FTB/A+...

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Patrick wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:BTW, my wife (Spokane born and bred) has to turn on subtitles for Weegie, Geordie, Brummie, and Scouse accents.
My wife and I had been in England only a few days when we tuned in to Rab C. Nesbitt. I still have no idea what he was on about.
I recently introduced a Taiwanese friend to Rab. He refused to believe that was a form of English. Still thinks I was messing with him.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... omens-day/

Yeah, from where I'm sitting too. I barely go on Twitter anymore and didn't know about it until I read your post. Astrokid has apparently decided to become a douche.
Astrokid is one of the AVFM contingent. I think he was the one that wrote that stupid article over there after the Indian gang rape and murder case, saying that the big problem there was sexism against men!
He seems to barely conceal a hate for women - which is probably the reason he rarely posts here.

Desperate measures by Peezus if he's forced to trawl through AVFM writers and try to paint them as representitive of the Slymepit.
What next? Johntheother? Paul Elam?

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Gefan wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I recently introduced a Taiwanese friend to Rab. He refused to believe that was a form of English. Still thinks I was messing with him.
Hmm. Some DVDs might make a nice gift for my colleagues in Beijing. They said they like Scotch.