Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Metalogic42

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Metalogic42 »

Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter right now (in reverse chronological order), I think Batshit Benson is going totally off the deep end...

Ophelia Benson ‏@OpheliaBenson

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel Oh fuck off.

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel That's part of your bullying - your fucking "dramatic readings."

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie And no, I'm not calling in to your stupid podcast.

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie It doesn't matter what you think about generalities. It matters what you do. You bully.

@justinvacula @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie You just will not cop to it. What a coward you are.

@justinvacula @ImprobableJoe @AlexGabriel You, personally, harass people. That's what you do.

Nobody needs to be told not to call me "Ophie" since I don't go by that name in the first place. Diminutives are insults.

@justinvacula I don't want your advice. And it's nothing to do with being fearless. It's to do with documenting the fucking harassment.

@daiapmorgen @justinvacula @karla_porter Notice that I don't talk about "Justy" and "Karlie"? No sense of humor, I suppose.

@chainbear My "critics" are very easily delighted. They're currently delighted at calling me Ophie.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Metalogic42 wrote:Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter right now (in reverse chronological order), I think Batshit Benson is going totally off the deep end...
In which case Justin Vacula should stop tweeting at her.
I don't contact any of them.
They cyberstalk me here and steal my art (thanks for that one, Surly Amy :D ) to post on their blogs without asking for my permission.
And then they make money from the blog hits the drama generates.

Vacula, on the other hand seems to be chasing them around and, at least in the case of Ophelia, it seems to be affecting her mental state.
It's bad enough having to deal with one Ellenbeth Wachs. Lets not produce another one, Justin.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

jimthepleb wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Tigzy wrote: After several thousand years you'da thunk they'd be over it but no, still got a chip on their shoulder (incidentally the cause of the potato famine.)
So here's the deal, you get the bogs and the marshes, we get the farmland and the auburn beauties...what do you mean 'doesn't sound fair'...we're English goddammit, what does being fair have to do with anything? :whistle:

Ahhh shit, did i say English, i should have been more accurate, i actually meant the Normans. You know the French, who kicked the fuck out of the english, took their lands, and the cream of the woman folk, and then added some decent genes to the Island's pool.

Vive La France!
English/Angles/Norman/Saxon/Borg all the same to me,just saying. But none of that barbarian Celtic sperm shall cross our loins!(Moip on the other hand...) I have done my part, marrying a jock woman and bringing up 4 little porridge wogs myself.
Resistance is futile.
Aye! And now i am going to get serious for all of a minute (one of those rare occasions). This goes to the heart of the problem in Ireland. People don't understand that their genetics makes them (national) mongrels. There never, never was a sovereign nation known as Ireland (i say this as a direct descendant of Red Hugh O'Donnell, and whose lineage has been involved in every Armed action in Ireland since 1798, no kidding. My great grandfather fought in 1916, another great grandfather was involved in the civil war, anti treaty of course, my grandfather, well i'll say that there's pics of him in front of large crowds available online, and i'm not talking about generations since for obvious reasons)...... Now i know, that there were/are of course social political considerations involved, never mind the civil rights aspect, but the national identity nonsense which has so characterised the problems in Ireland, is just plain bollocks. To be more articulate, it's an artificial construct.

Politically (refer to my lineage) there is no way in hell i would vote for the north to break from the UK. Not in the foreseeable future that is, unless the politics of these islands radically changed within my lifetime. Why, given my lineage? Because it means fuck all to me, other than a sense of history that my direct ancestors went their own way. I should mention i live in The North, i despise many a thing about the UK, including the monarchy, i am a republican in the dictionary sense, but when balanced upon the scales, i'll vote to remain in the UK. Just don't ask me to respect any rag you put on a pole.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Wow ... FTB people are just not satisfied with visiting people's FB pages to be hassled, PZ even popped onto Sara Mayhew's G+ post about lazy bloggers ...

These people are really good at blocking and ignoring :)

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

'Nobody needs to be told not to call me "Ophie" since I don't go by that name in the first place. Diminutives are insults.'
WTF?? Is this a Merkin thing? Asked 'Jim.'

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

I think I have given up on FtB. From now on I refer to them as dittoheads. PZ can be Rush Limbaugh, and all his little minions who want to talk about how right and wonderful they are can be the dittoheads.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter right now (in reverse chronological order), I think Batshit Benson is going totally off the deep end...
They cyberstalk me here and steal my art (thanks for that one, Surly Amy :D ) to post on their blogs without asking for my permission.

Vacula, on the other hand seems to be chasing them around and, at least in the case of Ophelia, it seems to be affecting her mental state.
It's bad enough having to deal with one Ellenbeth Wachs. Lets not produce another one, Justin.
Agreed. With the exception of a few tweets thrown at EllenBeth Wachs a few weeks ago, I do not @ any of them. Nor do I comment on their blogs or videos. If they want to engage in a forum off of FTB, then that's fair game, but I just don't interact with them otherwise.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Ha ha, reading John Brown's skewering of baboon logic over at Nugent's place was a thing of beauty to behold. Demonstrating their complete lack of objectivity using their own words was spot on.

Even ChasCPeterson was left floundering with nothing better than a Chewbacca defence. "But... but... if bananas aren't green, you must acquit". FPMSL.

Too many other great comments over there to pick them all out. It was a complete rout of the horde. I wonder if Nugent is beginning to regret his entry into this debate...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Would this be the same Alex Gabriel who have on repeated occasions used the words "cunt" and "twat"?

What a prick, eh, Ophelia?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

jimthepleb wrote:'Nobody needs to be told not to call me "Ophie" since I don't go by that name in the first place. Diminutives are insults.'
It's an Ophie thing.

welch

Post by welch »

Guest wrote:Welch, you're an obstreperous cunt at the best, but your comment at #278 makes it worthwhile that you are.
:-D

I was raised by people who made their living in the language. Occasionally, some of what they tried to teach me does what it should.

welch

Post by welch »

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel Oh fuck off.

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel That's part of your bullying - your fucking "dramatic readings."

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie And no, I'm not calling in to your stupid podcast.

@justinvacula @Eristae @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie It doesn't matter what you think about generalities. It matters what you do. You bully.

@justinvacula @AlexGabriel @alanbenzie You just will not cop to it. What a coward you are.

@justinvacula @ImprobableJoe @AlexGabriel You, personally, harass people. That's what you do.

Nobody needs to be told not to call me "Ophie" since I don't go by that name in the first place. Diminutives are insults.

@justinvacula I don't want your advice. And it's nothing to do with being fearless. It's to do with documenting the fucking harassment.

@daiapmorgen @justinvacula @karla_porter Notice that I don't talk about "Justy" and "Karlie"? No sense of humor, I suppose.

@chainbear My "critics" are very easily delighted. They're currently delighted at calling me Ophie.

Diminutives are insults?

Dear Dick...

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

From your mouth to god's ear, I hope the boy listens.

welch

Post by welch »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Wow ... FTB people are just not satisfied with visiting people's FB pages to be hassled, PZ even popped onto Sara Mayhew's G+ post about lazy bloggers ...

Lord. That's why I like Facebook. Keeps the 'tards out.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Wow ... FTB people are just not satisfied with visiting people's FB pages to be hassled, PZ even popped onto Sara Mayhew's G+ post about lazy bloggers ...

Here is the pictorial version of his intervention.

http://www.jesusandmo.net/strips/2011-07-27.png

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Maximus wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
tina wrote:Michael: I know you're reading. It's like looking through polished glass. Try some intellectual honesty and actually display some actual critical thinking ability.
No doubt Michael Nugent's list "justifies" flying his Merkin BFFs across the Pond for a meeting in Ireland, where they will certainly accomplish Great Things that could not be achieved through modern internet and satellite communications. Empowering women through secularism requires transatlantic flights and face-to-face partying and consumption of food and alcohol, apparently. Staying in a hotel together has the added bonus of providing opportunities for stories of perceived harassment and nebulous threats, which necessitate future meetings and endless blogging: a self-serving and self-renewing cycle of dishonest hypocrisy.

Too bad that the great majority of women to be "empowered "by your meetings are privileged white citizens of developed countries, whose lives and livelihoods are unaffected by climate change. Party on, and rack up those transcontinental air miles, right?
:clap:
I don't know why that doesn't get mentioned more, other than well, you know, it would mean less prestige/fun for them.
FWIW, I think that Nugent originally intended it as a promo for his upcoming event. I suspect that he thought it would be easy pickings and that there would be no kickback. Naive to the max.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Oolon is fucked in the head and he doesn't realize he's just made a very big mistake.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

John Brown wrote:Oolon is fucked in the head and he doesn't realize he's just made a very big mistake.
What has he done now?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Accused me of supporting pedophilia.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
John Brown wrote:Oolon is fucked in the head and he doesn't realize he's just made a very big mistake.
What has he done now?
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/03 ... ent-195414

Read from that comment down.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Funny because it was oolon who downloaded the picture.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Za-zen wrote:
Aye! And now i am going to get serious for all of a minute (one of those rare occasions). This goes to the heart of the problem in Ireland. People don't understand that their genetics makes them (national) mongrels. There never, never was a sovereign nation known as Ireland (i say this as a direct descendant of Red Hugh O'Donnell, and whose lineage has been involved in every Armed action in Ireland since 1798, no kidding. My great grandfather fought in 1916, another great grandfather was involved in the civil war, anti treaty of course, my grandfather, well i'll say that there's pics of him in front of large crowds available online, and i'm not talking about generations since for obvious reasons)...... Now i know, that there were/are of course social political considerations involved, never mind the civil rights aspect, but the national identity nonsense which has so characterised the problems in Ireland, is just plain bollocks. To be more articulate, it's an artificial construct.

Politically (refer to my lineage) there is no way in hell i would vote for the north to break from the UK. Not in the foreseeable future that is, unless the politics of these islands radically changed within my lifetime. Why, given my lineage? Because it means fuck all to me, other than a sense of history that my direct ancestors went their own way. I should mention i live in The North, i despise many a thing about the UK, including the monarchy, i am a republican in the dictionary sense, but when balanced upon the scales, i'll vote to remain in the UK. Just don't ask me to respect any rag you put on a pole.
I support London Irish if that gets me a pass. Otherwise I am largely indifferent to the devolution arguments going on throughout the Uk currently. I'm also a republican, but that has more to do with The Enclosures Act and Disestablismentarianism than any strong politics on my part. I think for many Englishmen, we have become so used to being universally loathed and dismissed for our perceived 'privilege' that it's easier to think and see ourselves as Brits. I still couldn't vote tory though. Sorry lsuoma.
YMMV

cunt

Post by cunt »

I couldn't give a fuck if the micks hate us.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

welch wrote:My comment on Nugent's pack of bullshit post:
So many things to say, such a small internet.
...snip...
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/ ... apping.gif

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

cunt wrote:I couldn't give a fuck if the micks hate us.
No shit cunt :o
(quote that for your next blog mike, surely no'one could fail to object to that strongly on a moral basis)
:popcorn:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

LMU wrote:Funny because it was oolon who downloaded the picture.
I got the feeling at the time that oolon actually missed seeing the picture. It was only on the slymepit for a few minutes before it was deleted and the poster kicked out. oolon didn't comment about it until nearly four hours after it was deleted. I think he spotted the various outraged posts demanding it be deleted and simply pretended he had seen it - which is why he said he'd saved it.
I don't think he knew what the picture was at the time, he was just trolling and suggesting he did know and had screencapped it to bring it back to his masters so that he could accuse us all of being paedophiles.
His classiness knows no beginning.

http://i.imgur.com/vsYkPQa.jpg

tina

Post by tina »

John Brown wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Agreed. With the exception of a few tweets thrown at EllenBeth Wachs a few weeks ago, I do not @ any of them. Nor do I comment on their blogs or videos. If they want to engage in a forum off of FTB, then that's fair game, but I just don't interact with them otherwise.
Ditto....though I do wear an @ on my ed.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

:lol: Aratina has tweeted that Oolon ought to sue, because of my post on Nugent's blog which gave the link to where Ooley, in his own words, said that he thought the pic was kiddy porn, and had screencapped it.

Yeah, good luck with that one, Ooley. Stick to your block bot, mate.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
LMU wrote:Funny because it was oolon who downloaded the picture.
I got the feeling at the time that oolon actually missed seeing the picture. It was only on the slymepit for a few minutes before it was deleted and the poster kicked out. oolon didn't comment about it until nearly four hours after it was deleted. I think he spotted the various outraged posts demanding it be deleted and simply pretended he had seen it - which is why he said he'd saved it.
I don't think he knew what the picture was at the time, he was just trolling and suggesting he did know and had screencapped it to bring it back to his masters so that he could accuse us all of being paedophiles.
His classiness knows no beginning.

http://i.imgur.com/vsYkPQa.jpg
That's a good point. I didn't notice the timing. So maybe he just claimed it for shock value.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote::lol: Aratina has tweeted that Oolon ought to sue, because of my post on Nugent's blog which gave the link to where Ooley, in his own words, said that he thought the pic was kiddy porn, and had screencapped it.

Yeah, good luck with that one, Ooley. Stick to your block bot, mate.
Cap? Surely worth preserving?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

jimthepleb wrote:
I support London Irish if that gets me a pass. Otherwise I am largely indifferent to the devolution arguments going on throughout the Uk currently. I'm also a republican, but that has more to do with The Enclosures Act and Disestablismentarianism than any strong politics on my part. I think for many Englishmen, we have become so used to being universally loathed and dismissed for our perceived 'privilege' that it's easier to think and see ourselves as Brits. I still couldn't vote tory though. Sorry lsuoma.
YMMV
You should be down on your knees praying that Scottish independance doesn't happen. If Scotland goes, then England is going to have a Tory government for ever. It's only the Scottish Labour vote that has prevented this for years. I live in England and I know I'm fucked if it happens.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Fuck! any chance of an edit button Boss?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Lsuoma

Sure:
http://i.imgur.com/HpHr63g.png

The link was to my post here: http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/03 ... ent-195446
Tigzy March 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

For the record, here’s where Oolon admits to downloading what he perceives as child porn: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 208#p30208

Some context (Michael, take note): a new (and since departed, thankfully) member of the Pit thought, for some reason, that it would be a good idea to post a picture of what appeared to be a VERY young woman with jizzum on her face. The poster was immediately condemned by most commenters shortly afterwards – except for Oolon, who immediately claimed it was kiddie porn, and proceeded to inform us that he had screencaptured it to use against the pit.

Apparently, Oolon thinks it’s okay to download child porn to use against his perceived enemies. Unless he was just trolling, of course. In which case…you ought to give that particular hobby up, Ooley, cos you’re not very good at it. As your posts here, if nothing else, show.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
YMMV
You should be down on your knees praying that Scottish independance doesn't happen. If Scotland goes, then England is going to have a Tory government for ever. It's only the Scottish Labour vote that has prevented this for years. I live in England and I know I'm fucked if it happens.
Aye you may have a point pvt Fraser
[youtube]FgsPzydgzxE[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:@Lsuoma

Sure:

The link was to my post here: http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/03 ... ent-195446

For the record, here’s where Oolon admits to downloading what he perceives as child porn: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 208#p30208

Some context (Michael, take note): a new (and since departed, thankfully) member of the Pit thought, for some reason, that it would be a good idea to post a picture of what appeared to be a VERY young woman with jizzum on her face. The poster was immediately condemned by most commenters shortly afterwards – except for Oolon, who immediately claimed it was kiddie porn, and proceeded to inform us that he had screencaptured it to use against the pit.

Apparently, Oolon thinks it’s okay to download child porn to use against his perceived enemies. Unless he was just trolling, of course. In which case…you ought to give that particular hobby up, Ooley, cos you’re not very good at it. As your posts here, if nothing else, show.
Ha!
According to the timestamp on his post, oolon was in work at the time he claims he "almost forgot" to screencap kiddie porn!
http://rashmanly.files.wordpress.com/20 ... a_fool.jpg

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Wow, that photo could be used for chemical free...
ah nuts.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy wrote:@Lsuoma

Sure:

Fuck sake! Don't you understand Victims are always in the right, even if the courts don't see it, in that instance it's patriachy. Oolon is being targetted by a hate site for something he said, the courts shouldn't allow this harrasment of social justice heroes.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

PZ's dumber clone Chris Clarke:

http://i.imgur.com/txE5ylW.jpg
it seems clear we need to step up our work in identifying misogyny and calling it out.
By all means do. Maybe you should demand a quota of identified misogynists per thread. May I suggest that to this end you increase the number of NKVD agents among your commentariat? Most of them already behave as if they are NKVD agents, so nobody will notice. You may also consider reintroducing the edifying institution of the show trial. Michael Nugent has already made a start by bringing Justin Vacula before the people's court. It's so much more efficient than the tiresome method of conducting witch hunts, don't you agree?
Though I don’t know why you mixed those objective terms in with things like “fuckwit.” Seems like a category error to me.
But Chris, 'misogynist' is not an objective term on your demented blog (or is it PZ's? -- I can't tell you two apart). It's mainly used there as an insult and as such is on a par with 'fuckwit'. Your cherished commentariat's overenthusiastic use of the term has rendered it utterly meaningless.
As a side note I’ve personally deprecated the phrase “die in a fire” since the moment last year when a friend’s mom did just that.
Then I assume that you are still fine with the phrase "fuck yourself with a rotting porcupine", since I bet that that never happened to a friend of the family, right? Maybe you should just replace "die in a fire" with "die in nerve gas attack" or "die in an NKVD torture chamber"? I'm sure your creative commentariat will help you find a suitable alternative that is sufficiently unusual, so that there is not much danger that your family or friends will suffer a similar fate. What would Pharyngula be without the death wishes? And don't forget to claim the moral high ground, otherwise you may find it occupied.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-573146

Apples

Post by Apples »

"That had to hurt?" /pharyngula wishful thinking

LMFAO. Good luck, fuckfaces. See you later tonight and tomorrow. While your reputations continue to deteriorate with a half-life of 5 months or so, we will continue to add new members (women, pocs, libertarians, socialists, witty graphic artists and youtubers, bloggers, and funny-ass skeptics of every stripe) ... see you on the other side of the abyss! (we'll be looking down on you).

justinvacula

"Second correspondence with Michael Nugent"

Post by justinvacula »

Thank you everyone for the feedback concerning my approach with Nugent and Nugent's post. I've considered much of what posters have contributed here and added many provided links to my newest piece with a clover just for Nugent! Examples of abuse from FTB were most helpful.

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... el-nugent/

It continues to rain on utopia.

[youtube]y8tLZLkZ4dI[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Oolon learning the hard way why people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. His screencapping of kiddie porn wasn't common knowledge......Now it is. Well done Oolon.
You sure showed us.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Goodbye Enemy Janine

4 March 2013 at 4:29 pm (UTC -6)

" ' You can’t call someone a future child rapist for example without getting into serious trouble.'

Fuckfaced fool! Usually one cannot tell if a person is a future child rapist by what that person says. But if a person repeatedly says racist statement, that person is a racist.

That is not even a valid comparison. But it is about what I expect from a fool like you.

I have a mission for you, fuckfaced fool.

GO TO THE PIT AND MAKE THE SAME ARGUMENT THERE!"

btw Janine is cyberspanking owlglass for tone trolling in the above tantrum.
Is Lsuoma paying prominent pharyngulists to drive people to the pit?

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

One theory I've had lately is related to The God Delusion. Remember when Richard Dawkins talked of kids believing everything they were told as a reason religion persisted due to evolution? It feels like these people on FtB and SkepChick and others have been raised in atmosphere where racism and sexism are bad! Now all grown up, these people often are failing at life, and the culprits must be racists and sexists, because that's who the devils are. In fact, everything bad must be framed in terms of racism or sexism, because that is what is bad.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Aneris wrote:
Regarding certain words and alleged thoughts and ideologies they support. Steven Pinker has noted:
Steven Pinker wrote:“First, words are not thoughts. Despite the appeal of the theory that language determines thought, no cognitive scientist believes it
In theory, you can accept that language determines thought but that they are separate things - in fact, if one causes the other, they really should be "separate" things. But just as words aren't thoughts, so thoughts aren't attitudes and attitudes aren't behaviour. One might be an indication of the others, but it ain't neccessarily so, and you don't have to be a cognitive scientist to work that out (says the ex-cognitive scientist!).

welch

Post by welch »

Hmm...I wonder...if someone were to send lsuoma the IP addresses from various FTBer's comments on their sites, if they would correlate at all with the addresses of some of the lurkers here.

It would be interesting, if it was just a whois showing the same netblock.

Now, what would be REALLY interesting is taking one of the spaz posts about this place on FTB, and correlate THAT time sig to certain Minn/Seattle netblocks logins/logouts...

lonesagi

Re: "Second correspondence with Michael Nugent"

Post by lonesagi »

justinvacula wrote:Thank you everyone for the feedback concerning my approach with Nugent and Nugent's post. I've considered much of what posters have contributed here and added many provided links to my newest piece with a clover just for Nugent! Examples of abuse from FTB were most helpful.

Queue an Ophie copypasta rant in 3...2....1.....

windy

Post by windy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Ha!
According to the timestamp on his post, oolon was in work at the time he claims he "almost forgot" to screencap kiddie porn!
"work"? *citation needed*

On another note, whatever happened to American Secular Census? Are they still busy analysing that data that was going to prove once and for all how discriminated the wimmenz are in our communiteez?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Regarding certain words and alleged thoughts and ideologies they support. Steven Pinker has noted:
Steven Pinker wrote:“First, words are not thoughts. Despite the appeal of the theory that language determines thought, no cognitive scientist believes it
In theory, you can accept that language determines thought but that they are separate things - in fact, if one causes the other, they really should be "separate" things. But just as words aren't thoughts, so thoughts aren't attitudes and attitudes aren't behaviour. One might be an indication of the others, but it ain't neccessarily so, and you don't have to be a cognitive scientist to work that out (says the ex-cognitive scientist!).
Hmmm... Ryle might disagree. Not sure. I'm still trying to swallow his theory.

LMU

Post by LMU »

EdwardGemmer wrote:One theory I've had lately is related to The God Delusion. Remember when Richard Dawkins talked of kids believing everything they were told as a reason religion persisted due to evolution? It feels like these people on FtB and SkepChick and others have been raised in atmosphere where racism and sexism are bad! Now all grown up, these people often are failing at life, and the culprits must be racists and sexists, because that's who the devils are. In fact, everything bad must be framed in terms of racism or sexism, because that is what is bad.
Sort of like: If you teach children to look for demons, they will find demons.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

justinvacula wrote:Thank you everyone for the feedback concerning my approach with Nugent and Nugent's post. I've considered much of what posters have contributed here and added many provided links to my newest piece with a clover just for Nugent! Examples of abuse from FTB were most helpful.

If I were of a more conspiratorial bent, I might suggest that Vacula and Ophie ahd reached a mutually beneficial (for blog hits) accord to each play the other's Satan.

AnonymousCowherd

jimthepleb wrote:since when did leprechauns wear turbans....someone been drawing mohammed again?
:naughty:
Turn it upside down.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:since when did leprechauns wear turbans....someone been drawing mohammed again?
:naughty:
Turn it upside down.
:lol:

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:Hmm...I wonder...if someone were to send lsuoma the IP addresses from various FTBer's comments on their sites, if they would correlate at all with the addresses of some of the lurkers here.

It would be interesting, if it was just a whois showing the same netblock.

Now, what would be REALLY interesting is taking one of the spaz posts about this place on FTB, and correlate THAT time sig to certain Minn/Seattle netblocks logins/logouts...
DOXER!!!!

LMU

Post by LMU »

Submariner wrote:

If I were of a more conspiratorial bent, I might suggest that Vacula and Ophie ahd reached a mutually beneficial (for blog hits) accord to each play the other's Satan.
I liked it. Thanks for linking it.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Lets have the entire collection.

http://i.imgur.com/Wqq3Ft8.jpg

"Irish Car Bomb Team"?

Sexism AND terrorism?

Why Mr Nugent...

You're spoiling us!
I love the one that says "Defend Ireland"

Nice sentiment for an atheist organization.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:snip

(says the ex-cognitive scientist!).
At least you are holding off on being a non-cognitive scientist.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Check out the latest comment on Michael Nugent's blog - by The Nuge himself.

Seems that Skepsheik has proven a more effective force for progessivism than the FTBers that posted there! :lol:

AnonymousCowherd

jimthepleb wrote:'Nobody needs to be told not to call me "Ophie" since I don't go by that name in the first place. Diminutives are insults.'
Nah, Ophie's right. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows that.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

It's good so see all those replies on Nugent's blog showing them up as the dishonest ideologues they are. Oolon will crash and burn sooner or later, it is just a matter of who he takes down with him. It was apparent from his discussion with Reap he is simply a troll who loves the attention.

As a general point unless there is good reason to I feel attacking an individual does little (Benson must be singing with joy right now and Aratina is looking to get some victim points from Oolons post) This focus on being offended should be dismissed as a pure appeal to emotion, not part of skeptical thinking and therefore has no place in discussions.

The real issue is how their form of feminism is poisoning our community and goes against everything rationalists stand for. Letting them control the narrative as Nugent is trying to do must be called out time and time again.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Pitchguest wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Lets have the entire collection.

http://i.imgur.com/Wqq3Ft8.jpg

"Irish Car Bomb Team"?

Sexism AND terrorism?

Why Mr Nugent...

You're spoiling us!
I love the one that says "Defend Ireland"

Nice sentiment for an atheist organization.
Wear that in some parts of Northern Ireland and you'll be strung up.