Old subthreads
codelette

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by codelette »

Correction, it mentions two women. lol

tina

Post by tina »

16bitheretic wrote:I don't believe Michael Nugent will moderate or remove my post on his blog, but just in case I'm cross-posting here:
As I see this back and forth in these comments over the content posted on and the claims of misogyny emanating from the Slymepit, I decided to give my perspective as a woman who has chosen to join and post on a supposed den of misogynists, rape-enablers, chill girls and whatever else many who post on the Slymepit have been called.

In the sort of no-holds-barred environment that is the Slymepit, with it's openness of dialogue, the only one who can reasonably be held responsible for any content is the actual author of that content (so anyone expecting Justin Vacula to answer for someone else's published content on a site he has no editorial authority over seems silly to me). While some would characterize and strawman the Pit as a bunch of angry white privileged men, the truth is there's a fairly wide diversity in race and nationality, and also in political and social philosophies. When you have that sort of mix there are going to be things said which cross the bounds from satire to tasteless vitriol. We've even had arguments about this sort of thing within the Pit itself and the only resolution which has held up as a solid practice is to allow all members to speak their minds unfiltered by the hands of a censorious overseer, with the understanding that they may be called out or criticized for their statements by someone who's likely not going to censor their own language to protect someone else's delicate feelings.

Has some of the content of the Slymepit crossed over into mean and tasteless in my opinion? Sure. Have I personally posted things which others would consider to be over the line? I suppose so, even though nobody has told me so directly I imagine that after a few months I've stepped on someone else's toes at least once. If someone were to call me out I know full well that's the consequence of the freedom I have there. With the freedom to say whatever I want, however I want, I get the benefit in return that I am treated as a responsible, independent adult, capable of defending myself and being judged on an individual basis for my behavior without anyone trying to defend my honor over my gender, race or whatever other status one could list.

See, the main thing that drove me nuts about and drove me away from communities such as FTB/A+/Skepchick, which are so quick and eager to shame and label the opposition with terms like misogynist, is that they overwhelmingly held to these positions of conduct which I felt were more misogynist and infantilizing than anything I'd ever read on the Pit, even if they appear to be more sanitized and friendly on the surface.

The bloggers, commenters and posters in these sorts of sites cry foul anytime someone so much as utters certain monosyllabic slurs like "cunt" or "bitch". They do this without even so much as noticing that they are seemingly coming from a position that us poor, oppressed womenfolk are too delicate to handle reading those words, that we're brainwashed by teh menz into self-oppressive behavior, that we're incapable of analyzing whether or not the words are taken in proper context of use and intent, and whether or not the person using the words comes from a region where usage of certain slurs is held in a different light than in our rather uptight US-centric viewpoint.

This sort of benevolent sexism is just as bad to me as if I heard someone say "All women are bitches and ho's". I am NOT a series of victimhood points, to be measured and compared against other people's victimhood points stats like a roleplaying game before we decide who wins the battle by virtue of statistically forcing the holder of the opposing idea to "check their privilege". Getting into a puritanical uproar over monosyllabic slurs without a proper analysis of the why and how they are used is the sort of childish mindset I expect from fundamentalist clerics, not supposed freethinkers and skeptics.

And finally, while many claim the content of the Slymepit is overtly mean and threatening (and I've just admitted right here and on the Pit itself that some of the content has crossed the line of good taste) let's not pretend that the opposition is free of being in the dirt as well. One could note the case of Francisco Bacopa who actually proposed the idea of stalking people in real life in the Texas region on Butterflies and Wheels' comments section, a comment which passed through Ophelia Benson's filter when she's more than happy to memory hole content in her comments from many other people.

So I ask, is it fair to criticize an almost completely unmoderated zone like the Slymepit for it's content while simultaneously glossing over and apologizing for the editor-approved content that could be viewed in the same light in opposing spaces?
Comment #146 on Nugent's blog
Fucking hell....I want to marry 16bit. She's turned me gay. Cunt.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

By the way, this Pharynguliar comment:
Edward Gemmer was mocked for being stupid. He was not called a rapist.
What a pathetic example of humanity.
should now be corrected to:
Edward Gemmer was mocked for being stupid. He was also called a rapist.
What a pathetic example of humanity.
So, if you disagree with the horde on FTB, then is perfectly fine to be mocked for being stupid (even though you are probably not stupid, but merely disagreeing with the local dogma) and to be called a rapist and a pathetic example of humanity. And those are the good guys, right, Michael Nugent?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote: Justin was stupid here. What is this entire list about now? Bad werds. No matter how nasty or evil the cunts on FTB are going to be, unless you can show an equivalent amount of profanity, they'll claim civil high ground. Seriously Justin, you keep acting as if one day, these little guttersnipes will play by any set of rules other than their own. How many times do you have to get kicked in the fucking teeth before you realize Lucy is ALWAYS gong to yank that fucking ball away?
If there's a pattern with Justin that I have seen, it's his tendency to jump without looking. It invariably, and I mean invariably, gets him into trouble. He just doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. I understand the desire to be actively involved and all that but fuckin' hell. It's getting embarrassing. Think, Justin, think.

[youtube]NmNObROcBOo[/youtube]

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Posted this on Nugent's post:
Well, I'm a Slymepit regular, and bar a few comments/commenters there, I think it's a nice community. They offer help and support more often than not, and talk about very diverse and interesting topics. No moderation (as far as nothing posted could get the forum in trouble with the Law) is a very good way of pushing skepticism.

Michael's list is a very thorough compilation of jokes, in-jokes, stupid comments and more jokes. These are the comments I usualy skip. Morally justifiable? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But really, just look at #36, and I quote:

"Muhahaha the evil spreads. Soon my pretties, soon we shall have the whole atheist movement chanting our chant of mysoginist victory ” cunt, cunt cunt!” They shall chant. “Rape to the [named person]” will be our warcry!"

Should I give any moral judgment on such a quote? Should I, in fact, take it seriously at all? Then I'd be a dumb dick for doing so. Internet humour, for what it is, is still internet humour. Nothing you can do about it.

And before I get accused of being a vile offender WRT gendered slurs, here is what my (now removed but maybe coming up again) pharyngula wiki page said:

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Secul ... z_wiki.jpg

You will please note that all these instances were made in jest (except the "business" comment, but it turned out to be untrue. I think I got more sales from this mess. Thanks all). Moreover, in a language I don't use on a daily basis. I could do the same with Ophelia Benson or a bunch of other FTB commenters. You know, the ones finishing their comment with "but bitches ain't shit, right?".

So, morally unjustifiable? All and none of them.
Just saving it here for future glory...

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/03 ... ent-194981
:clap:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
Submariner wrote:There's been so much of the "fence sitter" interaction with both sides lately that I forgot Nugent is definitely a partisan adversary and not a neutral interested party.
I'm happy Nugent is talking about ideas and being respectful. It's quite rare I think.
If you really think that's what that list was, you are the most gullible human on the planet.
*facepalm*

Ehrmagerd.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Dick Strawkins wrote:What disgusting dishonesty by Michael Nugent...
The list does look bizarre divorced of its setting like that. Reminds me of this:

[youtube]AmgbtfptGa0[/youtube]

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

16bitheretic wrote:I don't believe Michael Nugent will moderate or remove my post on his blog, but just in case I'm cross-posting here:
As I see this back and forth in these comments over the content posted on and the claims of misogyny emanating from the Slymepit, I decided to give my perspective as a woman who has chosen to join and post on a supposed den of misogynists, rape-enablers, chill girls and whatever else many who post on the Slymepit have been called.

In the sort of no-holds-barred environment that is the Slymepit, with it's openness of dialogue, the only one who can reasonably be held responsible for any content is the actual author of that content (so anyone expecting Justin Vacula to answer for someone else's published content on a site he has no editorial authority over seems silly to me). While some would characterize and strawman the Pit as a bunch of angry white privileged men, the truth is there's a fairly wide diversity in race and nationality, and also in political and social philosophies. When you have that sort of mix there are going to be things said which cross the bounds from satire to tasteless vitriol. We've even had arguments about this sort of thing within the Pit itself and the only resolution which has held up as a solid practice is to allow all members to speak their minds unfiltered by the hands of a censorious overseer, with the understanding that they may be called out or criticized for their statements by someone who's likely not going to censor their own language to protect someone else's delicate feelings.

Has some of the content of the Slymepit crossed over into mean and tasteless in my opinion? Sure. Have I personally posted things which others would consider to be over the line? I suppose so, even though nobody has told me so directly I imagine that after a few months I've stepped on someone else's toes at least once. If someone were to call me out I know full well that's the consequence of the freedom I have there. With the freedom to say whatever I want, however I want, I get the benefit in return that I am treated as a responsible, independent adult, capable of defending myself and being judged on an individual basis for my behavior without anyone trying to defend my honor over my gender, race or whatever other status one could list.

See, the main thing that drove me nuts about and drove me away from communities such as FTB/A+/Skepchick, which are so quick and eager to shame and label the opposition with terms like misogynist, is that they overwhelmingly held to these positions of conduct which I felt were more misogynist and infantilizing than anything I'd ever read on the Pit, even if they appear to be more sanitized and friendly on the surface.

The bloggers, commenters and posters in these sorts of sites cry foul anytime someone so much as utters certain monosyllabic slurs like "cunt" or "bitch". They do this without even so much as noticing that they are seemingly coming from a position that us poor, oppressed womenfolk are too delicate to handle reading those words, that we're brainwashed by teh menz into self-oppressive behavior, that we're incapable of analyzing whether or not the words are taken in proper context of use and intent, and whether or not the person using the words comes from a region where usage of certain slurs is held in a different light than in our rather uptight US-centric viewpoint.

This sort of benevolent sexism is just as bad to me as if I heard someone say "All women are bitches and ho's". I am NOT a series of victimhood points, to be measured and compared against other people's victimhood points stats like a roleplaying game before we decide who wins the battle by virtue of statistically forcing the holder of the opposing idea to "check their privilege". Getting into a puritanical uproar over monosyllabic slurs without a proper analysis of the why and how they are used is the sort of childish mindset I expect from fundamentalist clerics, not supposed freethinkers and skeptics.

And finally, while many claim the content of the Slymepit is overtly mean and threatening (and I've just admitted right here and on the Pit itself that some of the content has crossed the line of good taste) let's not pretend that the opposition is free of being in the dirt as well. One could note the case of Francisco Bacopa who actually proposed the idea of stalking people in real life in the Texas region on Butterflies and Wheels' comments section, a comment which passed through Ophelia Benson's filter when she's more than happy to memory hole content in her comments from many other people.

So I ask, is it fair to criticize an almost completely unmoderated zone like the Slymepit for it's content while simultaneously glossing over and apologizing for the editor-approved content that could be viewed in the same light in opposing spaces?
Comment #146 on Nugent's blog
Damn, another standup winner. Really well said. :clap:

tina

Post by tina »

Michael: I know you're reading. It's like looking through polished glass. Try some intellectual honesty and actually display some actual critical thinking ability.

KiwiInOz unplugged

Post by KiwiInOz unplugged »

tina wrote:snip 16's bits

And she better be into bigamy (or at least polyamory)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Also, this whole "#bravehero" thing is so stupid and childish it makes me want to vomit.

/cranky

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Whisper Walrus

Post by Whisper Walrus »

AndrewV69 wrote:Hold your horses!
Fuck me*, that should've been simple to find. My mistake, horses firmly but lovingly restrained.
codelette wrote:My list hurt feminists because I mentioned one two women in a list of five fatsos. Fatso is a good word. Fat acceptance is feminist, ya'll. :)
Yeah, I'm still not sold on the comment being "nasty pushback." Considering how little it takes (20~30lbs) to get into technically obese territory, I think the case that those five people are, in fact, obese is easily provable. If you're not paying attention, it can be *really* easy to hit that point and not even notice; the image of obese as the sort of person that needs two seats on a plane is very misleading.

I don't think it's impossible to take someone calling out your weight as a positive (or at least as a non-negative), if you're the sort of person that can handle such a blunt statement. That must take a self-confidence/mental fortitude that these people obviously don't possess.

*- not a valid invitation.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Zenspace wrote:

:clap:[/quote]

I find that list of examples utterly ludicrous. And what's with this 'trigger warning'? What does that mean - adult, unfiltered discussion up ahead? FFS

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I wax lyrical, or summat:

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/03 ... ent-195132
AndrewV69 March 4, 2013 at 11:53 am

@Steersman #188, “And all Michael has done is to ask Justin for his opinions as to whether he thinks that they are “morally justified” or not – and presumably from a philosophical perspective.”

The thing is, I am under the impression that a whole bunch of people are presupposed to believe that “they” have the high moral ground and I believe that some, certainly I am one, do not share that opinion.

Now the rest is not aimed at you personally Steersman, so do not take it that way.

As far as I am concerned, you have to walk the talk without exceptions. If you want to demonstrate a higher morality than my own, you can for example stop ridiculing the Christians.

Otherwise you have no credibility if you want me to stop my equally justifiable ridicule of you.

Walk the talk. Put up or shut up. Those are the choices. Or accept that someone like me is never going to accept your perception of moral superiority.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

codelette wrote:Correction, it mentions two women. lol
Oh ya! Right. My bad. I keep forgetting that the land whale is a woman. Thanks for pointing it out.

tina

Post by tina »

KiwiInOz unplugged wrote:

You leave 16bits bits alone Snipper!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

My comment Nugent used, "That photo could be used for chemical free pest control." is a joke I even use on my own kids. School pictures, photos from baseball games, etc. are subject to the pest control joke. I even use it for mocking my own ugly mug.

It gets a sneer out of the kids when it's their pictures and a chuckle when applied to mine. I believe it helps thicken their skin a bit too. People out there in the real world are going to say much crueler things. Nugent chose a comment my (at the time) ten year old was able to handle, as a horrible insult.

tina

Post by tina »

This stance of detached rational assessment and faux impartiality. Such a male thing. Guys, don't do that! *heads for the hills*

Nugent should be better than this for some reason.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

tina wrote:Michael: I know you're reading. It's like looking through polished glass. Try some intellectual honesty and actually display some actual critical thinking ability.
No doubt Michael Nugent's list "justifies" flying his Merkin BFFs across the Pond for a meeting in Ireland, where they will certainly accomplish Great Things that could not be achieved through modern internet and satellite communications. Empowering women through secularism requires transatlantic flights and face-to-face partying and consumption of food and alcohol, apparently. Staying in a hotel together has the added bonus of providing opportunities for stories of perceived harassment and nebulous threats, which necessitate future meetings and endless blogging: a self-serving and self-renewing cycle of dishonest hypocrisy.

Too bad that the great majority of women to be "empowered "by your meetings are privileged white citizens of developed countries, whose lives and livelihoods are unaffected by climate change. Party on, and rack up those transcontinental air miles, right?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Yeah, fuck it! None of my comments, with or without links, made it to Nugent's blog. Free thinking and skepticism, heh?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Submariner wrote:My comment Nugent used, "That photo could be used for chemical free pest control." is a joke I even use on my own kids. School pictures, photos from baseball games, etc. are subject to the pest control joke. I even use it for mocking my own ugly mug.

It gets a sneer out of the kids when it's their pictures and a chuckle when applied to mine. I believe it helps thicken their skin a bit too. People out there in the real world are going to say much crueler things. Nugent chose a comment my (at the time) ten year old was able to handle, as a horrible insult.
Heh! When my sister and I were kids, my dad would point at the "No Pets Allowed" sign at the mall and tell us, "I'm sorry, but you'll have to go back to the car."

They're utterly humorless when it comes to their own fragile egos, and, as I speculated above, they have an agenda. Several agendas, actually.

codelette

Post by codelette »

BTW, forgot to add: 16bit, like a boss!

welch

Post by welch »

Zenspace wrote:
Jack wrote:
Apples wrote:Not that I give a shit what that fuckwit Nugent thinks or says, but here's a Google search that gives 50,000 or so results:

fuckwit site: freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula

as does this:

porcupine site: freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula
It was a very badly researched article. No context and suggested that it was representative of thousands of posts. There was no attempt at addressing the reasons for the posts either. No mention was made that this was an unmoderated board where people can say that they like. No mention that FfB regularly ban and memory hole to remove embarrassing and dissenting views. No mention of the reasons for the posts or posts where we argue with each other. No mention of the constructive conversations we have.

JV I would have refused to answer given the clear attempt to poison the well and anyway it is not your worry what other people say. He should ask them if he wants to know.

It's just more victim points and a waste of time.

All people have to do is come here and read and make up their own minds. Because that's what skeptics do. As I have said a thousand times, they are not skeptics.

For anyone reading here one thing you must grasp first. We are NOT a Borg collective and make up a diverse group of people from many backgrounds. We have the sort of diversity FtB and A+ dream about. Not one of us is responsible for the other and if you have an issue with what someone posts, come here and present your argument so THAT person can respond. No one else, including JV, has the responsibility to do so moral or otherwise.
THIS. Justin - Nugent may be civil, but he is not your friend. Be very careful playing his game - the entire post is a setup to make you guilty by association with every off-color post at the Pyt. Do NOT fall for that obvious gambit. You cannot gain anything and you will never say anything that satisfies that bunch of close minded ideologues in spite of your best efforts. The entire audience there is watching for you to hang yourself for their pleasure and satisfaction.

Yep. It's also clearly an attempt to make vacula the face of the pit. He most certainly is not, no one is.

codelette

Post by codelette »

The biggest question here -at least for me- is: who is this Nugent guy and why should I care about his opinion of this forum?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

codelette wrote:The biggest question here -at least for me- is: who is this Nugent guy and why should I care about his opinion of this forum?

No idea. Seemed fun at the time...

welch

Post by welch »

DGS wrote:
Zenspace wrote:

:clap:

I find that list of examples utterly ludicrous. And what's with this 'trigger warning'? What does that mean - adult, unfiltered discussion up ahead? FFS
Yep. Or, "someone somewhere may have had something bad happen to them. You should therefore preface anything you say with a warning so that they can avoid any and all bumps in any and all roads, and why are you so horrible and not smoothing everything out for them"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

My latest, most nefarious post at Nugent's:
Test
Ok, I know, I went a bit overside with it.

Now, jokes aside: Michael, if you want meaningful answers, as diverse as they can be, don't moderate. Some of us don't live in the same timezone, and it can get frustrating, being blocked because you're not awake. Take all the beauty sleep you need, but don't block. Please?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My latest, most nefarious post at Nugent's:
Test
Ok, I know, I went a bit overside with it.

Now, jokes aside: Michael, if you want meaningful answers, as diverse as they can be, don't moderate. Some of us don't live in the same timezone, and it can get frustrating, being blocked because you're not awake. Take all the beauty sleep you need, but don't block. Please?
Strange mine went through without moderation, here it is for posterity anyway

za-zen March 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Jesus Christ on a fucking stick Michael, please define your terms before asking for a concurrence. Blasphemy, one of my favorite immoralities.

This is mine, so i’ll own it;
36. Muhahaha the evil spreads. Soon my pretties, soon we shall have the whole atheist movement chanting our chant of mysoginist victory ” cunt, cunt cunt!” They shall chant. “Rape to the [named person]” will be our warcry!

I take by inference, that you view this as an example of immorality? Contextualized it is mocking the SJW narrative of the slymepit. Parodying their hyperbolic rhetoric. A form of satirical humor.

I provide two quotes for your contemplation;
“What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? A lie. A lie and we have to be merciful. ”

“We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write “fuck” on their airplanes because it’s obscene! “

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

It's as if the FTB/ A+ / Pharyngula crowd didn't go around and calling people "dicks" "raper enablers" "child molesters" "misogynists" etc. As if the damage hasn't already been done with all the "die in a fire", "fucktard" and"shove flaming porcupines and rusty knives (sideways) up your ass" kind of talk. "Fuck 'em to the ground!" "Don't be a dick". Seriously what's wrong with these people?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

debaser71 wrote:It's as if the FTB/ A+ / Pharyngula crowd didn't go around and calling people "dicks" "raper enablers" "child molesters" "misogynists" etc. As if the damage hasn't already been done with all the "die in a fire", "fucktard" and"shove flaming porcupines and rusty knives (sideways) up your ass" kind of talk. "Fuck 'em to the ground!" "Don't be a dick". Seriously what's wrong with these people?
Their anger is righteous and justified. for they have god (strike that) morality on their side.

Note how Novella also gives this nod when saying that the slymepit(ers) may be beyond redemption. It betrays a bias, and a political one at that. He is not a neutral arbitrator, as this sop to the SJW side demonstrates. Are FTB(ers) beyond redemption? Now if he had stated that their would have been fucking hell to pay (and he knows it) . What an absolutely worthless statement it was, which is why i suggest it was an overture to the "VICTIMS" that he feels their pain.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

debaser71 wrote: "dicks" "raper enablers" "child molesters" "misogynists" etc. "die in a fire", "fucktard" and"shove flaming porcupines and rusty knives (sideways) up your ass". "Fuck 'em to the ground!" "Don't be a dick".
FTB/A+ is so easy...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Nugent is the chair of Atheist Ireland.
He has been a writer in the past, mainly producing works of satire and parody.
His organization, Atheist Ireland, have their own forum where they, like people here or those on the FTB boards, post comments, discussions and jokes about various topics.

And just like the Slymepit, it is possible to view the forum, at least most of it, (there is a private, members only section.)

Of course Nugent wouldn't possibly compile a list of the various transgressions that are here on the Slymepit if his own house forum wasn't whiter than snow.
Would he? :shifty:

I mean, there wouldn't possibly be dozens of examples of misogynistic, racist, antisemitic comments on his own forum,
Would there? :doh:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab27 ... 0261_n.jpg
1. Gendered epithet ” who the hell gave it to you BITCH?”
2. Gendered epithet “The opportunistic bitch of a nun tried to imply that her religious education was somehow better than the boys school version.”
3. Gendered epithet ” I get hit again soon so I can properly demo this bitch out.”
4. Gendered epithet ”I'm on planet science, bitch”
5. Gendered epithet “the only thing gods or religions have ever proven is that they are science's bitch. see that apostrophe in "science's" remember it bitch”
6. Gendered epithets “If that sick criminal, son of a bitch, Ratzinger comes to Ireland, Ill protest against him everywhere he goes.”
7. Gendered epithet “we can call someone a cunt as a term of endearment but no other people do.”
8. Gendered epithet “I have ze seniority over you, you leeteel pussy.”
9. Joke about raping children “Fuck them, Do we have time?”
10. Video of Jim Jeffries making jokes about child molesting and punching women in the face, described as “brillant stand up sketch”
11. Photo making light of child abuse by portraying the pope as a paedophile.
12. Photo of church logo for Catholic archdiocesan youth commission, making light of child abuse .
13. Photo of statue of pope with kneeling children, making light of child rape allegations.
14. Photo of church stainless glass window showing altar boy kneeling before bishop, again making fun of child abuse allegations.
15. Antisemitism “I had one but the bloody Jews bombed the shit out of it.”
16. Photoshop joke of the pope as a child molester.
17. Joke making fun of a photo of pope, implying he was a child molester. “But he was not a little boy at the time, he was at least THIS tall.”
18. Gendered epithet “Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you are a C#@t”
19. Misogynistic joke about a woman trying to pay her taxi fare using her vagina, with the punchline being the taxi driver asks her “do you have anything smaller”
20. Misogynistic sex shaming joke about prostitution and a man accidently discovering his wife is a prostitute.
21. Misogynistic joke about a money grabbing woman who demands from a suitor that he has “Mercedes in your garage, a million dollars in the bank and '7' inches in your pants'.
22. Misogynistic wife beating joke about a man finding out his wife is not a virgin on their wedding night, the punchline being “you hit her with the shovel”
23. Fat shaming “you can bet your fat ass it won't be Cheerios!”
24. Paedophile joke about a priest, Father McKintyre ejaculating on child.
25. Fat shaming “Two fat blokes in a pub, one says to the other 'Your round.' The other one says 'So are you, you fat bastard!'”
26. Youtube clip joking about child rape by priest.
27. Sectarian epithets “Orange bastard”
28. Misogynistic remark “Apparently the drop in the number of suicide bombings has been put down to the emergence of the Scottish singing star, Susan Boyle - now that Muslims know what a virgin looks like that they are not so keen on going to paradise.”
29. Misogynistic joke about Adam bargaining with God in the garden of Eden, with the punchline being “Fuck that, what will I get for a rib?”
30. Racist joke about “The Effect of Political Correctness and Government Policies”
31. Picture of woman forced to ring a doorbell constructed to look like male genitalia.
32. Cartoon making light of child abuse in the church.
33. Cartoon of the pope implying he is a paedophile.
34. Misogynistic picture of urinals shaped like a womans body.

I got bored collecting more examples but the forum is here if anyone wants to check for themselves.
http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB3/index.php

Now I'm not going to condemn them for everything here.
Some of it is highlighting the behavior of the Catholic church regarding their role in the child abuse scandal and using a dark humor to do so.
And I don't think you should assume everyone there approves of every comment.
But a lot of it is just sexist, racist and antisemitic.
And some of it is deeply misogynistic (wife beating jokes and videos - statues of urinals with womens heads on the top of them)
If anyone has the power to enforce some kind of standards on that site, it is Michael Nugent, the head of their organization.

Nugent has some nerve to lecture us on the correct targets for satire and parody when he blatantly quote-mines :liar: sections from various sections of this site, all the while ignoring the mountains of sexism, racism and antisemitism within his own groups forum.

tina

Post by tina »

BarnOwl wrote:
tina wrote:Michael: I know you're reading. It's like looking through polished glass. Try some intellectual honesty and actually display some actual critical thinking ability.
No doubt Michael Nugent's list "justifies" flying his Merkin BFFs across the Pond for a meeting in Ireland, where they will certainly accomplish Great Things that could not be achieved through modern internet and satellite communications. Empowering women through secularism requires transatlantic flights and face-to-face partying and consumption of food and alcohol, apparently. Staying in a hotel together has the added bonus of providing opportunities for stories of perceived harassment and nebulous threats, which necessitate future meetings and endless blogging: a self-serving and self-renewing cycle of dishonest hypocrisy.

Too bad that the great majority of women to be "empowered "by your meetings are privileged white citizens of developed countries, whose lives and livelihoods are unaffected by climate change. Party on, and rack up those transcontinental air miles, right?
Nugent's sunk costs in inviting all these idiots to Ireland for their misogyny fest and for all the manginas to get their feminist credentials stamped and have their male identities officially sanctioned and approved by women. Srsly? Nope, doesn't influence Nugent's stance in the very slightest. Not one bit.

Better if the old white dudes keep us women locked out seeing as how they're so totes on top of dealing with religious privilege, separation of church and state, the fucking Taliban killing young women, catholics fucking everything that moves, islamists keeping their women in body bags, right wing christian fundamentalists disappearing reproductive rights, global warming denialists, people selling water as medicine, curing colic with a bit of a back rub, obesity with a power balance bracelet, libel laws designed to screw us down to bland platitudes, education boards wanting Noah's Ark back in classrooms, etc etc etc etc etc.....

Nope, the guys just don't need us in the slightest. They're all just dying to harass us or get in our knickers aintcha guys?

I'll go wash some dishes now.....

Oooops...did I just pull a Dear Muslima?

Let Nugent have his little game of 'whataboutery' with Justin. It's transparent as fuck. I predict there wont be one word of criticism from Nugent directed to anyone or anywhere but the dreaded pit.

windy

Post by windy »

BarnOwl wrote: Heh! When my sister and I were kids, my dad would point at the "No Pets Allowed" sign at the mall and tell us, "I'm sorry, but you'll have to go back to the car."
At one point when I was in school my folks got me a sweater with the picture and name of our dog on it (wtf, parents?) As a result one of my teachers started calling me by the dog's name :D Unfortunately it wasn't "Indiana" or anything as cool as that.
Dick Strawkins wrote:Of course Nugent wouldn't possibly compile a list of the various transgressions that are here on the Slymepit if his own house forum wasn't whiter than snow.

I mean, there wouldn't possibly be dozens of examples of misogynistic, racist, antisemitic comments on his own forum,
OMG Dick! The horror... the horror... :popcorn:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Nugent is the chair of Atheist Ireland.
His organization, Atheist Ireland, have their own forum where they, like people here or those on the FTB boards, post comments, discussions and jokes about various topics.

And just like the Slymepit, it is possible to view the forum, at least most of it, (there is a private, members only section.)

Of course Nugent wouldn't possibly compile a list of the various transgressions that are here on the Slymepit if his own house forum wasn't whiter than snow.

2. Gendered epithet “The opportunistic bitch of a nun tried to imply that her religious education was somehow better than the boys school version.”
3. Gendered epithet ” I get hit again soon so I can properly demo this bitch out.”
5. Gendered epithet “the only thing gods or religions have ever proven is that they are science's bitch. see that apostrophe in "science's" remember it bitch”
6. Gendered epithets “If that sick criminal, son of a bitch, Ratzinger comes to Ireland, Ill protest against him everywhere he goes.”
7. Gendered epithet “we can call someone a cunt as a term of endearment but no other people do.”
10. Video of Jim Jeffries making jokes about child molesting and punching women in the face, described as “brillant stand up sketch”
12. Photo of church logo for Catholic archdiocesan youth commission, making light of child abuse .
13. Photo of statue of pope with kneeling children, making light of child rape allegations.
14. Photo of church stainless glass window showing altar boy kneeling before bishop, again making fun of child abuse allegations.
17. Joke making fun of a photo of pope, implying he was a child molester. “But he was not a little boy at the time, he was at least THIS tall.”
19. Misogynistic joke about a woman trying to pay her taxi fare using her vagina, with the punchline being the taxi driver asks her “do you have anything smaller”
20. Misogynistic sex shaming joke about prostitution and a man accidently discovering his wife is a prostitute.
21. Misogynistic joke about a money grabbing woman who demands from a suitor that he has “Mercedes in your garage, a million dollars in the bank and '7' inches in your pants'.
22. Misogynistic wife beating joke about a man finding out his wife is not a virgin on their wedding night, the punchline being “you hit her with the shovel”
25. Fat shaming “Two fat blokes in a pub, one says to the other 'Your round.' The other one says 'So are you, you fat bastard!'”
28. Misogynistic remark “Apparently the drop in the number of suicide bombings has been put down to the emergence of the Scottish singing star, Susan Boyle - now that Muslims know what a virgin looks like that they are not so keen on going to paradise.”
29. Misogynistic joke about Adam bargaining with God in the garden of Eden, with the punchline being “Fuck that, what will I get for a rib?”
30. Racist joke about “The Effect of Political Correctness and Government Policies”
31. Picture of woman forced to ring a doorbell constructed to look like male genitalia.

I got bored collecting more examples but the forum is here if anyone wants to check for themselves.

Some of it is highlighting the behavior of the Catholic church regarding their role in the child abuse scandal and using a dark humor to do so.
And some of it is deeply misogynistic (wife beating jokes and videos - statues of urinals with womens heads on the top of them)
If anyone has the power to enforce some kind of standards on that site, it is Michael Nugent, the head of their organization.

Nugent has some nerve to lecture us on the correct targets for satire and parody when he blatantly quote-mines :liar: sections from various sections of this site, all the while ignoring the mountains of sexism, racism and antisemitism within his own groups forum.

Did you post the above on Nugent's blog? If not, you should. YMMV

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I honestly don't know why I bothered to type that long essay-post last night as everything I said got ignored and/or went right over their heads.

The only thing which actually got addressed was one Pharyngula poster claiming I was strawmanning their offense to the use of gendered slurs. Strawman!? I outlined how people in their circles cry foul at ANY use of certain words regardless of the context of how it was used, who it was used at and what the intent was. I explained how they themselves were being sexist and the best they can do to address my points is whine that I called their moral outrage "puritanical" and then go on to ignore their own sexist attitudes while still parroting the line that any time one uses a word like bitch it degrades all women. The way they get offended at any use of certain words is just like the religious people who scream offense if you ridicule certain prophets or use a deity's name in the wrong way. That was no strawman.
tina wrote:

Hey now, I am straight you know...but maybe if you all gimme lots and lots to drink....

(^_-)-☆

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

16bitheretic wrote:I honestly don't know why I bothered to type that long essay-post last night as everything I said got ignored and/or went right over their heads.

The only thing which actually got addressed was one Pharyngula poster claiming I was strawmanning their offense to the use of gendered slurs. Strawman!? I outlined how people in their circles cry foul at ANY use of certain words regardless of the context of how it was used, who it was used at and what the intent was. I explained how they themselves were being sexist and the best they can do to address my points is whine that I called their moral outrage "puritanical" and then go on to ignore their own sexist attitudes while still parroting the line that any time one uses a word like bitch it degrades all women. The way they get offended at any use of certain words is just like the religious people who scream offense if you ridicule certain prophets or use a deity's name in the wrong way. That was no strawman.
tina wrote:

Hey now, I am straight you know...but maybe if you all gimme lots and lots to drink....

(^_-)-☆
Straight you say? Eherm, Now don't take this the wrong way, but I find you interesting....

DGS

Post by DGS »

:shock:

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Good gods, people! Twenty-five pages in a weekend? You're doing this just to annoy me. I haven't a chance to catch up, but from what I can tell Ted Nugent has challenged Justin Vacula to a guitar duel to the death. Am I close?

Anyway, I put this in the videogames topic, but I thought I'd put it here as well where more people would see it:

Ladies and gentlemen (and others), I give you A Plus Adventure. A text adventure (choose-your-own-adventure style) where you take on the role of a prospective A+ forum member. Playable on- or off-line. It's very rudimentary and short, but hey, I have actual work to do as well.

If anyone feels inclined to help me improve/expand on it, PM me. No expertise required beyond being able to string sentences together.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

16bitheretic wrote:I honestly don't know why I bothered to type that long essay-post last night as everything I said got ignored and/or went right over their heads.

tina wrote:

(^_-)-☆
How about some coffee?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Submariner wrote:

Did you post the above on Nugent's blog? If not, you should. YMMV
Wait this is totally unfair, the posters at Atheist Ireland are attacking legitimate targets (religidiots) while we are attacking Michael's friends (fucktards). There is a difference you know. That difference is in the special place in Michael's head, that is reserved for ideas and people who get a special pass.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Nugent has some nerve to lecture us on the correct targets for satire and parody when he blatantly quote-mines :liar: sections from various sections of this site, all the while ignoring the mountains of sexism, racism and antisemitism within his own groups forum.
I can almost hear Nugent saying, "I'm not a hypocrite," in the way Nixon said "I'm not a crook."

Or: "It's not a crime when the president does it."

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

tina wrote:

(^_-)-☆
They won't respond honestly, if at all, because they can't. It holds true every time - you see it each time one of them gets up the nerve to visit us here in the Pyt: Once we shine the light on them, every material argument and claim they have evaporates when the hard, unpleasantly real evidence is placed before them. I'll repeat: great post, even more so because of who the author is - one of those uppity women. They will ignore it, but you know the truth of the realizations within it is eating at their insides. More importantly, anyone visiting that page will now see it. BTW - we do have a screencap of the post for our records in case Nugent learns some of the other FtB tricks and memoryholes it, right? That post is too good a gem to lose.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

It's bloody 4pm in France. Nugent hasn't aproved any of my comments, however mild they may be. I'm giving up on this potential bridge-building stuff...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Also: fart!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/mRUKqoZ.jpg

That's probably my favorite of the T-shirts that feminist hero and not at all a hypocrite, Michael Nugent, is selling on one of his websites. :shock:

http://thatsireland.wordpress.com/2008/ ... -t-shirts/

DGS

Post by DGS »

welch wrote:
Yep. It's also clearly an attempt to make vacula the face of the pit. He most certainly is not, no one is.
The girls would be good though

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

If those urinals are supposed to be the Virgin Mary, we can now safely say she has seen a lot of cock. Ohhhh Nooooes!

Southern

Post by Southern »

codelette wrote:The biggest question here -at least for me- is: who is this Nugent guy and why should I care about his opinion of this forum?
Thanks for stealing exactly my words, yah thief.

Seriously, if you are lurking here for ammunition, Ted Nuggets or whoever you are: fuck you. That's my own opinion, endorsed by My Majesty only, and that's all. Now go lick PZ ass or something.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also: fart!
Ummm I'm telling Lsuoma - you sad bad words you norovirusist!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Philip of Tealand wrote:
I happy bad words! get it straight*!

*Oh dear...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I vote we have a "thick Paddy day" just so Michael doesn't feel left out of the "abuse", and then we can add right wing supremacists to our list of sins, whilst Michael scurries to the sjw horde for his A+ wounded hero lapel pin.

Me first;

Hey Michael, the famines over, you don't have to sell your ass to feed yourself

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

DGS wrote:
welch wrote:
The girls would be good though
Uh yeah. Welch is the face of the pit. So is Franc. The two warring faces. Could they ever be as one again?

In other news, the play I'm in calls for a 'passionate' stage kiss with a younger woman. It's going to be the most awkward thing I've done for a while... I thought I would share the awkwardness of this situation with you by putting you in the awkward position of wanting to make a stupid joke but worried you might end up in Nugent's Slymepit's 50 greatest hits album part II.

I also have now recorded the most poorly sung song I have ever recorded. It's a song by the band Lone Star. I'm reluctant to release it as it calls for 'singing' as opposed to Broadway chorus buffoonery. I have another of those in the pipeline by the Lone Star one is closest to being wheeled off the assembly line.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
This gives me an idea every time someone wants to say cunt here, they should instead say 'fart'.

Then Nugent et al would have the task explaining how the misogyny hidden under two layers of secrecy is really so bad.

'See, when they say fart, they mean cunt and when they mean cunt they mean that all women are horrible. Now I know, it seems a bit silly for them to say Fuck, he's a silly 'I hate all women' but that's what they mean.'

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I mean, one can play this game all day long:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... m-defined/
“Libertarianism. A simple-minded right-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard.”

That is perfectly in line with my own sentiments. Libertarianism isn’t so much a political and economic movement as it is a widespread pathology.
LOL! ZING! That's the funniest thing ever. Stupid Libertarians and their pathology.
"Feminism. A simple-minded left-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard."

That is perfectly in line with my own sentiments. Feminism isn't so much a political and economic movement as it is a widespread pathology.
OMG! SPHaters! Misogynists! Bullies! Harassers! Rape enablers!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

John Brown wrote:I mean, one can play this game all day long:

“Libertarianism. A simple-minded right-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard.”

That is perfectly in line with my own sentiments. Libertarianism isn’t so much a political and economic movement as it is a widespread pathology.
LOL! ZING! That's the funniest thing ever. Stupid Libertarians and their pathology.
"Feminism. A simple-minded left-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard."

I
That is perfectly in line with my own sentiments. Feminism isn't so much a political and economic movement as it is a widespread pathology.
I'm not convinced feminism is really that all left-wing it has aspects of it but it seems to be so hugely authoritarian that that's its defining feature; not the left-wingness.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It's good that you wrote it, though. It makes the Pharynguliar posters there look even worse by comparison.

Their declaring certain words anathema is, I think, largely born out of intellectual laziness. Anyone using bad werdz can now be dismissed without addressing the arguments, simply by pointing out the use of forbidden words. To some extent it is probably also a kind of n-word envy. They want to be able to spot misogyny the way one can spot racism: by the use of certain words that only racists (misogynists) would use. But it just doesn't work that way, even if you silently redefine misogyny to mean something like "don't taking the concerns of women seriously enough," instead of "hatred of women in general." Intent is not to be dismissed. Context matters.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

rocko2466 wrote:
John Brown wrote:I mean, one can play this game all day long:

I
I'm not convinced feminism is really that all left-wing it has aspects of it but it seems to be so hugely authoritarian that that's its defining feature; not the left-wingness.
This is actually something that's ALWAYS been a problem for the "left", in that it tends to attract a good number of authoritarian faux-moralists to its cause/causes. Speaking as a leftist, more or less, I've NEVER had any use for these people, now being no exception. They generally don't know the first thing of what they're talking about...in that they're more focused on these overly broad moral concepts rather than actually fixing/changing the systems that make up our world in order to fix these things.

I'll give you a good example. The people who were OUTRAGED that Obama dealt with the House Republicans to trade an extension of unemployment insurance to an extension on the Bush tax cuts. To them, the focus point was the symbol..that the Bush tax cuts had to go at any cost, instead of the much more important point of extending unemployment insurance, without which people would have lost their homes/been put out on the street. Should be obvious to most people which is more pressing and important, but not to the faux-moralists, to who the fight is more important than making the world a better place.

If you want to tell the difference between the two, just ask a policy question. A faux-moralist will respond in moral platitudes and gibberish. Someone not of an authoritarian bent will give you some sort of policy grounding for your question. You might not AGREE with it, but at least there's some meat on those bones.

The SJW movement is no different. Truth be told, I could give better arguments for most of their issues than they can. I'd argue most of us here could. But they don't because they can't. Everything is simply "The Patriarchy" or whatever. And as I said on that other thread. Simple theories beget simple responses. Because there's no meat on those bones.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
I happy bad words! get it straight*!

*Oh dear...
I'm really proud of my degree in English and History, means I don't have to worry about smelling pistakes*

I will refrain from making smutty remarks about getting it straight lest I offend non-Pitters with my ghastly attempts at innuendo...