Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
AnonymousCowherd

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Creeper cards - coming to a conference near you!

http://p.twimg.com/Ay5-_BXCIAEuOUP.jpg

Altair

Post by Altair »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:Creeper cards - coming to a conference near you!

The part about the punch on the face could be considered a threat. If only conferences had some sort of policy to deal with that kind of thing :shifty:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Regarding the guys fired for making a dongle joke affair; I'm looking for some sort of verification that this actually happened. Is there a source other than the woman who blogged it?
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5398681
Wow that sucks. Well Playhaven gets added to the boycott list-not that I would need their services anyway but maybe I can send a message to people who do.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Altair wrote:

The part about the punch on the face could be considered a threat. If only conferences had some sort of policy to deal with that kind of thing :shifty:

How would one give someone one of these, secretly slipping them into their pockets?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

[youtube]VX47D83K-KA[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I love the red one. Honestly, I do. It's like, hey, you're lucky you weren't punched in the face, next time you might not be so lucky! The thing is, since it doesn't actually state anything you might have done wrong but just passively aggressively hints you've done something wrong, there is no way for you to "check yourself" if you don't get instructions along the way. And if you're "not so lucky", you get a punch in the face. The downside to that, though, is that since you just punched me in the face without any prior warning, I'm liable to report you for assault. And I will, because frankly you punched me in the face and you're pissing me off. And take this red card with you while you're at it. Ponce.

I love the other ones too. Just like the red one, the yellow one is being terribly vague in direction but instead of rude, it's just being condescending. The green one is just giving you a backhanded compliment. Thank you for not harassing me today, I really appreciate it! You should be lucky, I could have punched you in the face! Oh, yeah. Cheers, bud. Now fuck off back to your asylum.

Jesus fuck, who the hell thought this was a good idea? And at what convention are they at, so I know which conventions to avoid at all times?

katamari Damassi

Can someone else make cards that can be handed back? Cards that say: "You're a hypersensitive twat you needs to grow a thicker skin if you hope to be a functional adult in the real world."

Altair

Post by Altair »

Pitchguest wrote:

I love the red one. Honestly, I do. It's like, hey, you're lucky you weren't punched in the face, next time you might not be so lucky! The thing is, since it doesn't actually state anything you might have done wrong but just passively aggressively hints you've done something wrong, there is no way for you to "check yourself" if you don't get instructions along the way. And if you're "not so lucky", you get a punch in the face. The downside to that, though, is that since you just punched me in the face without any prior warning, I'm liable to report you for assault. And I will, because frankly you punched me in the face and you're pissing me off. And take this red card with you while you're at it. Ponce.

I love the other ones too. Just like the red one, the yellow one is being terribly vague in direction but instead of rude, it's just being condescending. The green one is just giving you a backhanded compliment. Thank you for not harassing me today, I really appreciate it! You should be lucky, I could have punched you in the face! Oh, yeah. Cheers, bud. Now fuck off back to your asylum.

Jesus fuck, who the hell thought this was a good idea? And at what convention are they at, so I know which conventions to avoid at all times?
You just put into words what I wanted to say but couldn't find the way to. I agree completely with this, especially with the assault part.

katamari Damassi

Submariner wrote:

[youtube]VX47D83K-KA[/youtube]
Damn you beat me to it!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Can someone else make cards that can be handed back? Cards that say: "You're a hypersensitive twat you needs to grow a thicker skin if you hope to be a functional adult in the real world."
See my post above.

AnonymousCowherd

Altair wrote:

But without a policy, there's no alternative but going the full vigilante!

Apples

Post by Apples »

justinvacula wrote:http://teenskepchick.org/2013/03/20/evi ... epchick%29

Rape culture is not a claim - it is a noun! Checkmate skeptics! A writer for Teen Skepchick responds to a recent piece of mine...
I could spend all day fisking this article /Greta, but I'll just say this regarding the complaints about CNN/whomever in the media focusing on the rapists instead of the victim -- this is the media, folks. Since rape victims are almost always granted Jane Doe anonymity, no pictures, no details, you're gonna get whatever footage they have to add emotional punch to the story -- if "promising high school athletes weeping in the courtroom" is what they've got, that's what they're going to show on the day of the verdict. Yes, it's a fair argument that discussing the impact of rape on victims generally is a good idea, but this is more PBS/Frontline territory than CNN Headline Spews. You can bet they'd love to run a segment about the victim with lots of tears and *trigger warnings*, but with anonymity it ain't gonna happen.

Speaking of which, interesting piece about rape in the military on NPR this morning:

The problem with "rape culture" as a term is that they don't mean "the US is a rape culture." They mean -- there exist people who manifest attitudes that, in the aggregate, conceivably make rape more common/excusable/less-reported. This is, I think, obviously true. But then you slide right down the slope to, "Saying Rebecca Watson is a bitch ---> degrades all women ---> means women are disposable ---> means women are sexual objects for whomever wants it ---> rape."

This is like applying the iconic simplistic version of "chaos theory" to culture - butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil causing a hurricane in Florida -- and then saying, hurricanes are devastating, let's do something about those fucking butterflies - people who let butterflies flap their wings are contributing to "tropical storm culture." You didn't know? Every time you call Becky a beeyotch, a butterfly gets its wings.

AnonymousCowherd

Pitchguest wrote:

Sone folks at reddit talking about Donglegate, and complaining that tech conferences are being taken over by "Overactive PC assholes" and "feminists in IT who go to these conferences not to learn but to police peoples behaviour". Sound familiar?

LMU

Post by LMU »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Pretty sure a good number of you have seen Ricky Gervais' movie, "The Invention of Lying." If so, do you remember the TV commercials that were part of the movie? This is what it seems things are coming to when I read shit like that woman getting the two guys fired for making a 'dongle' joke. I think most of you will understand that without me having to explain it.

Oh, and I can't remember who commented on the income of Freethought Bloggers, but even with the number of hits PZ gets, I don't reason his monthly income is in the range of $2000 to $3000 (US). The best months I've had there, and I've had some damn good hit count months, garnered me less than $100.00. My average was about thirty bucks. The real money in blogging is at Patheos. Bloggers there can easily earn in the neighborhood of $3000 or more per month, and that is not even for their top writers.

And thank you for the well-wishes, everyone, again. Much obliged.
Thanks for the info. You have my well-wishes too! (I always feel vaguely uneasy wishing well, like I'm a religious person saying "I'll pray for you" or something. My well-wishes will have no direct tangible effect, but maybe knowing that people care about you, that they are sad when you hurt and happy for you to receive good news, is worth something despite that.)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

This has a lot of photoshop potential.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

katamari Damassi wrote:Regarding the guys fired for making a dongle joke affair; I'm looking for some sort of verification that this actually happened. Is there a source other than the woman who blogged it?
The escapist had an article on it Sourced to The original blog, reddit and news.ycombinator

MMO-Champion article also sourced to butyoureagirl

Was picked up by venture beat seems to have lots of details, including interview with one of the two men involved. No directly attributed sources other than butyou'reagirl

comment on news.ycombinator from one of the men

More in depth discussion of identification and firings here
The guy who was fired for his comments at PyCon about dongles and forking is named Alex Reid
Update: It seems we may have a case of mistaken identity, sort of, and this does not bode well for Ms. Richards. The guy who is shown looking at the camera in the photo tweeted by Adria Richards is named Alex Reid, and he works for PlayHaven. But the guy who was actually fired from the company says that Alex was not involved in the incident and that he is still with the company.
Update II: Figured out who the guy on the left is. Waiting for responses from various people involved before I go any further. Lots of people not saying much.

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

Apples wrote: The problem with "rape culture" as a term is that they don't mean "the US is a rape culture." They mean -- there exist people who manifest attitudes that, in the aggregate, conceivably make rape more common/excusable/less-reported. This is, I think, obviously true. But then you slide right down the slope to, "Saying Rebecca Watson is a bitch ---> degrades all women ---> means women are disposable ---> means women are sexual objects for whomever wants it ---> rape." .
They mean it until they don't, like you said. It is common for them to say:

"We are in a rape culture."

As in, we are entrenched in it, and puts it on the same level as classism in a lot of peoples' minds.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Apples wrote: The problem with "rape culture" as a term is that they don't mean "the US is a rape culture." They mean -- there exist people who manifest attitudes that, in the aggregate, conceivably make rape more common/excusable/less-reported. This is, I think, obviously true. But then you slide right down the slope to, "Saying Rebecca Watson is a bitch ---> degrades all women ---> means women are disposable ---> means women are sexual objects for whomever wants it ---> rape."

This is like applying the iconic simplistic version of "chaos theory" to culture - butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil causing a hurricane in Florida -- and then saying, hurricanes are devastating, let's do something about those fucking butterflies - people who let butterflies flap their wings are contributing to "tropical storm culture." You didn't know? Every time you call Becky a beeyotch, a butterfly gets its wings.
I think this is a very good analogy. There seems to be a problem with some people distinguishing causes and consequences.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Extremely good point about the similarities with accommodationism, especially wrt the emotional argument, by Skepsheik:
118 Skepsheik March 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Russell, (comment 4) I think we have a (civil!) disagreement over accomodationism. I would place myself fully in the non-accomodationist camp and yet I don’t think I have any major disagreements with the likes of Chris Mooney or Michael Ruse over core issues of science and religion. Both accomodationists and non-accomodationists are atheists who agree that science and traditional religion are incompatible in terms of how they provide validated knowledge about the world. The difference is that accomodationists seek to temper the public language of atheism so that moderate religious people can find a gap or two to squeeze in their God.

It is a political approach to forming alliances that creates two standards; one, for fellow atheists, is more strict, requiring firm evidence and justification; the other, for the moderate religious allies, is far more nebulous, and open to personal interpretation, feeling etc.

I see a similar structure being constructed in the current atheist movement regarding the acceptance of highly speculative and unsupported aspects of academic feminist theory.

The other, and probably more pertinent, similarity to accomodationism is the requirement that we must not, on pain of atheist excommunication, offend our erstwhile allies.

As Esteleth said on PZ’s Pharyngula google hangout:
“I could say all manner of words, you know; I have the right to do that, I have the freedom of speech. But my right to do that ends the second that someone who is affected by those words hears me.”

This statement was not contested by any of the other Pharyngulites, not even by PZ himself. The ongoing war on misogynist atheists is pretty much defined by the idea that certain words are verboten in polite company, due to the fact that certain individuals consider them ‘gendered epithets’ of such potency that one does not even need speak their name to put oneself beyond the pale. Merely posting in the same forum as someone who has used those words is enough to induce the required countermeasure – ‘slymepitter! banned!’

Now I, presumably like you, hate the idea of saying something simply to try to offend. I do, however, think that occasionally, as in the case of religious debate, a little reductio ad absurdum, or even pointed satire, can be useful – at the very least for influencing those reading from the sidelines.

The idea that we must give up our right to free speech whenever it offends others, must be resisted, whether the call comes from a religious authority or an atheist ‘freethinker’.

The influence of dogmatic religious thinking presses down all aspects of society like a slowly melting ice-age glacier. We in the atheist community are doing our bit, kindling fires of reason wherever we can. Whether it is writing a letter to a newspaper questioning religious privilege or adding a comment about Santa to an online religious apologetic article on the Huffington post, it all has an effect turning the religious climate around. Forgive me if I fail to heed the call of the social justice warriors in our midst, to drop the successful approach of the recent past and instead simply stand at the head of the glacier and push.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

SPACKlick wrote:
The escapist had an article on it Sourced to The original blog, reddit and news.ycombinator

Was picked up by venture beat seems to have lots of details, including interview with one of the two men involved. No directly attributed sources other than butyou'reagirl

The guy who was fired for his comments at PyCon about dongles and forking is named Alex Reid
Update: It seems we may have a case of mistaken identity, sort of, and this does not bode well for Ms. Richards. The guy who is shown looking at the camera in the photo tweeted by Adria Richards is named Alex Reid, and he works for PlayHaven. But the guy who was actually fired from the company says that Alex was not involved in the incident and that he is still with the company.
Update II: Figured out who the guy on the left is. Waiting for responses from various people involved before I go any further. Lots of people not saying much.
Yeah. And this is the sort of conduct the Skepchick/FtB/A+ crowd encourages. The ultra-PC always-take-things-seriously approach. It's going to be interesting (i.e. mind-chortling) to see the angle Skepchick and FtB will make of this. I have a hunch on how it will go down, but they'll have to somehow omit the fact that one of the two men was fired from his job because of Adria reporting it as sexual harassment, that he has a wife and three kids and loved his job, and that she made her own joke on twitter which could very well be classed as sexual harassment. They would have to somehow remove this from the context and then make their case (in Watson's case, that's going to be a cakewalk).

They would also have to omit from the narrative that she took a picture of the two men and posted it (without their knowledge or permission) on twitter (where the guy actually looking into the camera wasn't even involved) and then proceeded to shame the hell out of the both of them.

Congratulations, Adria. If you wanted to market women at tech conferences as overly sensitive special needs flowers, then you have succeeded. However I would argue that you've actually set the progress back for them a couple of years.

Dave

Post by Dave »

SPACKlick wrote:

Additionally, it appears that PyCon has changed its code of conduct to discourage similar shaming in the future.

https://github.com/python/pycon-code-of ... dfb7ab18b1

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

SPACKlick wrote:

Just read the story. That's just completely bizarre and pretty scary. Is this the kind of stuffy environment the FTB/Skepchick radfems want for the Amazing Meeting and skeptic conferences? Where a person has to constantly walk on eggshells for fear of offending some overreactionary political correctness drama queen who will resort to public shaming tactics at a whim?

Ironically, I think she may have done as much damage to herself as to the men she attacked. No one will want to hire someone like that. She completely fails conflict resolution 101. If an interviewer for a job asked how you would resolve an uncomfortable comment or situation, the answer would be to communicate this personally to the people involved initially, not humiliate and defame people publicly in an outrageous way that can affect their livelihoods. I would never want to work with someone like that and if I was a manager, I would never hire someone like that.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dave wrote:
Apples wrote: The problem with "rape culture" as a term is that they don't mean "the US is a rape culture." They mean -- there exist people who manifest attitudes that, in the aggregate, conceivably make rape more common/excusable/less-reported. This is, I think, obviously true. But then you slide right down the slope to, "Saying Rebecca Watson is a bitch ---> degrades all women ---> means women are disposable ---> means women are sexual objects for whomever wants it ---> rape."

I think this is a very good analogy. There seems to be a problem with some people distinguishing causes and consequences.
That's, eh, that's chaos theory.

I'm just going to add that, you know, if 'rape culture' and 'patriarchy' (as espoused by feminist theory) are such simple concepts to prove without the shadow of a doubt, then why don't they link to a peer-reviewed study pertaining to each? 'Rape culture' as we know is a conception during the 70's in the United States (started out as a movie) and then slowly moved into the hand of second-wave feminists to be shortly extinguished and later resurface during the 21st century, and 'patriarchy', well, it seems that's also a product of second wave feminism, but I can't prove it. It certainly isn't a concept that's been around for thousands of years. (Again, we're of course talking about the feminist theory definition of 'patriarchy' and not 'the rule of the father' patriarchy which indeed existed for millenia.)

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gefan wrote:Since we've brought up Joan of Arc (albeit by a thoroughly tortuous route). I had to post this.
Flawed movie that could probably have been better condensed down to this scene, but, oh, what a scene!

[youtube]Gf7YSlJReVM[/youtube]
I feel the need to defend my fellow (asshole) Frenchman:

What was flawed? I thought this was a great movie. 5th Element as well. and Taxi. and Leon, and...and... what was my point again?
Sorry, I gave the wrong impression. I remember liking the movie overall. Though it's been many years since I've seen the whole thing, if memory serves I thought the battle scenes were a mess (battle scenes almost always are driven by audience expectation and ease of direction rather than accuracy) and the general pacing was a bit erratic.
Love some of Besson's other work. Leon was great. The Fifth Element looked spectacular and was generally pretty fun.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Ophelia wrote:

Aw. I got a present. A surprise present. It came in the mail.
Cupcakes! Fancy gourmet cupcakes from a fancy gourmet cupcake place.
As a surprise!
In the mail!
Unexpectedly!
Who sent me a present as a suprise in the mail unexpectedly as a surprise?
“Everyone at Skepchick”
Are they the best or what?!
I'm shocked that she: a) didn't interpret that as a threat. b) Is willing to eat food sent to her by anyone.
Reminds me of that scene in The Thick of It where Malcolm Tucker gets sent a birthday cake with the words "Happy Birthday C*nt" iced onto it, and he says "This could be from anyone."

[youtube]cASKWJou-VE[/youtube]

Love me some Malcolm Tucker. The Poet Laureate of Scotland.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

This is a core, central issue. This issue of overlap, and non-mutual-exclusivity.
(Is Remick an SP? Does anyone know how to contact him/her? )
136 Remick March 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

@doubtthat 123.

I’ve enjoyed it as well.

As to the disagreement, I certainly agree, with skepticism. I imagine skeptical movements will continue to shift focus again and again, from one subject to the next, and back again.

Why does Atheism? It has one subject. Several issues affect it. But it is by and large a single point.

Atheists can be feminist and vice versa. But why would an atheist movement be concerned with feminist issues that are largely outside of its single subject? It isn’t really an atheist movement then is it. It is a feminist one. So lets call it what it is.

If you are an atheist and a feminist, why would you try to make an atheist movement do things that have nothing to do with atheism? Even if they all agree with you. Why not join a Feminist movement if that is your focus? There are plenty of spaces for overlap between the two movements, but to try to say that to be part of the atheist movement, you have to be totally onboard with a feminist movement, is out of place and frankly wrong to do.

There are atheists who aren’t feminists, and there are feminists who aren’t atheists. Why try to force them all together, rather than just allow them to come together on issues that are common?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

katamari Damassi wrote:

In fact the wording on the yellow and red cards is sufficiently vague that you could just hand them directly back.

I'd be most offended if I got the green card:

"I was expecting you to be a socially incompetent twat, but you weren't... HOOORAY FOR YOOOU!"

[youtube]pxFOVCzse3M[/youtube]

I wonder how often the reaction of someone receiving a green card immediately necessitates the issuance of a yellow/red card.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Those card are meant to be serious? I honestly thought they were supposed to be a joke.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Wonderist wrote:Is Remick an SP? Does anyone know how to contact him/her?
Yes - search member-list, send PM.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Ericb wrote:Those card are meant to be serious? I honestly thought they were supposed to be a joke.
This woman appears to be the cards' creator: http://singlevoice.net/redyellow-card-project/, and she seems to take it very seriously, and so do other of her commenters :violin:

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Altair wrote:
Ericb wrote:Those card are meant to be serious? I honestly thought they were supposed to be a joke.
This woman appears to be the cards' creator: http://singlevoice.net/redyellow-card-project/, and she seems to take it very seriously, and so do other of her commenters :violin:

They need a 4th blue card that states:

Thank You

I'm flattered by your attention

Coffee?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

It seems Sendgrid is suffering from a DDOS attack. Twitter chatter is suggesting they have earned the wrath of Anonymous.

This could run and run.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

In other news, I just read through this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4270

and just, holy shit, how does ceepolk even manage to get out of bed?

Altair

Post by Altair »

Metalogic42 wrote:In other news, I just read through this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4270

Jack Frost wrote: "I want you to wait to have sex until the person you're with asks you for it. Tells you they need you now, and that they can't wait, and they want it. Calls you by your name and asks for it."

Wait, if two people in a long term relationship waiting for each other to ask, how will they ever end up having sex?
How long until Jack Frost gets kicked out of the A+ forum?
That's a fair question, if you have to wait until the other person asks you for it, then the other person should also wait until YOU ask for it.
Sounds like a catch 22.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Altair wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:In other news, I just read through this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4270

Jack Frost wrote: "I want you to wait to have sex until the person you're with asks you for it. Tells you they need you now, and that they can't wait, and they want it. Calls you by your name and asks for it."

Wait, if two people in a long term relationship waiting for each other to ask, how will they ever end up having sex?
How long until Jack Frost gets kicked out of the A+ forum?
That's a fair question, if you have to wait until the other person asks you for it, then the other person should also wait until YOU ask for it.
Sounds like a catch 22.
He already "got a week off" on page 2.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Altair wrote: How long until Jack Frost gets kicked out of the A+ forum?
Sounds like a catch 22.
He already "got a week off" on page 2.
You got my respect, Sir, I couldn't even finish page 1.

welch

Post by welch »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Apples wrote:Finally catching up with the "forking and dongle" story from the Python Con. Interesting story. This is the blog of the offended "joke-overhearer" who sounded the alarm on the "brogrammers" sitting behind her who were, through their actions, apparently conspiring to suffocate all little-girl future-programmers in their playpens:

http://butyoureagirl.com/14015/forking- ... nferences/
tl;dr

SEX JOKES ARE NOT OK. BECAUSE SEX IS BAD. WOMEN HATE SEX SO PLEASE DO NOT MENTION IT.

Also, little girls. I saw a little girl and thought SHE'LL NEVER BE A DEVELOPER BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT MAKE A DONGLE SEX PUN. Because I'm not a developer because of sex puns, except I am. SEX JOKES ARE BAD.

(Fucking idiot)
She's seems to be under the impression that the girl will be as pathetic has she is when she hits the real world.

Since that blog post is easily one of the most pathetic things I've ever read, there's little chance that the girl will grow up to be as pathetic as the author.

The thing is for me...if she was legitimately offended by what the guys were saying, okay. that's her right. I don't have to agree, but she's that right, just like I've the right to think it's a bit much.

But it's the action her reaction drove her to take that bothers me the most. Her options:

Turning around and asking them to stop, or talking to them after the session directly - best option, the one not taken.

Talking to the conference folks about it. - Okay, fine. Not the BEST option, but a legitimate option nonetheless. It is not the best option, but it was not the worst option, and one of the actions she took. If that had been it, I doubt anyone would really care.

Turn around, take their picture, and then brand them as bad people publicly. - her first action, and one that made her judge, jury and executioner. They had no ability to respond or defend themselves, and as it turns out, she may have been completely wrong in her interpretation of the forking comment.

The guy had no chance to even apologize before she hung him out to dry. Then her response to him on ycombinator:

"I'm sorry to hear your employer deciding to not to work with you on this and I hope they reconsider, bring you back on and dealing with it constructively."

Well, you didn't give them a choice, did you.

welch

Post by welch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Apples wrote:
RichardReed84 wrote:Help! I'm trying to have a rational discussion about feminism and harassment policies over at the "Point of Inquiry" website (the one with Amanda Marcotte) but this one person keeps calling me a sexist and putting words in my mouth! What am I supposed to do? :)

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/amanda_ma ... -836152565
Jumping in with "it is near impossible to have a rational discussion with feminists" on a comment thread about Amanda Marcotte is a pretty big opening bet. Maybe you should double down - you might get rich!
As long as colon and Eucli don't find the thread, it just might have a chance.

Just kidding.
you can't control their actions, just your own. Don't get distracted, stay on point, and if you feel you've said all you can, stop posting. Don't announce it, just...if you feel you're done, then move on to something else.

Altair

Post by Altair »

CommanderTuvok wrote:It seems Sendgrid is suffering from a DDOS attack. Twitter chatter is suggesting they have earned the wrath of Anonymous.

This could run and run.
And as always, it's the fault of those pesky males http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/sendg ... -at-pycon/
Then the internet erupted … or at least some fraction of the male developer portion of it. Richards received rape and death threats on Twitter, the fired developer published about it on Hacker News, and at least one Twitter users felt so strongly about the case he made a 10-minute video explaining his aggressive and potentially abusive tweets aimed at Richards, and posted it on Tumblr.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/sendg ... 8f5abIT.99
She's getting death threats for daring to speak up while in posession of a vagina. We may be witnessing the birth of Rebecca Watson mark II.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Altair wrote:
rocko2466 wrote: I would say she's overplaying her hand, but the radfems gobble this shit up.

Every time it looks patently ridiculous, you get them all swarming in and yelling "JOAN! JOAN! JOAN! JOAN!"
There seem to be plenty of supportive comments on twitter. Most of the opposing comments seem to come from men, while the supportive ones seem to be split between the genders.

Here's an interesting conversation about the subject, where at least people are trying to understand each other's point:

The part that bothers me, though, is this:
Heather Lynn Rose Jo ‏@HLRJO 18m

@xzased @ThaRealDequan @adriarichards Also, (I know it's cliche) do consider what it's like to be a woman. Even small things have an impact.
Being male, I can only imagine and extrapolate what being a woman is like, but I highly doubt that women are such frail creatures that hearing a lewd joke will send them into catatonia.

It gets tiring to have women call for equal treatment and empowerment while at the same time claiming they are delicate little flowers that can't withstand anything.

This speaks badly of me, and makes me actually ashamed, but, FSM, sometimes I understand misogynists. If it wasn't for the sane women I know in real life and the sane women I know online (including the lady pitters), there are days I could easily slide into that mindset.
:oops:
I don't get it, the joke was G-RATED, I've seen way worse in family comedies or sitcoms... I'm going to jump on the 'fuck people' bandwagon. How can people be this stupid???

Altair

Post by Altair »

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Wow, I have prophetic powers! Someone tell Randi and get me my $1 million! I wrote earlier:
Ironically, I think she may have done as much damage to herself as to the men she attacked. No one will want to hire someone like that. She completely fails conflict resolution 101. If an interviewer for a job asked how you would resolve an uncomfortable comment or situation, the answer would be to communicate this personally to the people involved initially, not humiliate and defame people publicly in an outrageous way that can affect their livelihoods. I would never want to work with someone like that and if I was a manager, I would never hire someone like that.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Stretchycheese wrote:
Wow, I have prophetic powers! Someone tell Randi and get me my $1 million! I wrote earlier:
It's good your prophetic powers are working, because Adria's are not (bolding mine):
Adria Richards ‏@adriarichards 21h

Hey @mundanematt, it's clear from the last 24 hours you're a bully. @SendGrid supports me. Stop trolling.
Expand

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Just to add, Adria's post was a perfect example of the destructiveness of radical feminist "callout culture." Not only did she damage careers of others, but her approach ended up being a two-edged sword and damaged her career as well.

Perhaps the FSA+ crowd should take this as an example and realize that their callout culture is not only destructive to others, but can end up being destructive to themselves as well.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Wow. I'm curious what the official reasoning will be. I can understand the point of view that certain kinds of humor can make you uncomfortable and feel unsafe or unwelcome, but being afraid that someone at any time might take something you said as offensive and get you fired is just as likely if not more to make you feel unsafe and unwelcome.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

138 doubtthat March 20, 2013 at 9:39 pm

@Remick

What does atheism have to do with anything? It’s just non-belief. It in no way, for example, necessitates a strong adherence to the scientific method.

It’s a historical fact in the West, modern atheism has largely been the result of scientific progress. I’m an atheist for two reasons: 1) the religious folks who I grew up with were fucking nuts and 2) science provides much better explanations.

There are, however, other cultures that have come to atheism by other means, Soviet Russia and Communist China being decent examples. We share a non-belief in the supernatural powers of Jesus with those two entities, but that’s really about it (I hope). What replaced Christianity in Soviet Russia was not Enlightenment philosophy and scientific knowledge, which is what fills the void here. It was a non-supernatural ideology that was very similar to religion in a number of ways.

So, just like we argue against religious ideas about the origins of the cosmos and replace it with science, we should argue against religious notions of the role of women in society and replace it with feminism.

I see no difference in process with regard to those two subjects. Advocation of teaching science is in no way dependent on atheism and is perfectly compatible with a sort of mealy-mouthed version of Christianity with God as a “first cause” and the Bible representing stories not to be taken literally.

Or, in your words, there are atheists who are scientists or supportive of science and there are science supporters who aren’t atheists. The inclusion of science in the atheist agenda is a contingent fact resulting from the nature of the parties identifying as atheist, not due to some necessary definitional characteristic of non-belief.
And in reply, here we have doubtthat repeating the same SJW-motivation reply, implicitly distinguishing from the Sam Harris-motivation which many (most?) of us have been going with for years. To this extent, I think doubtthat has a valid objection, and this has gone back all the way to the early 'New Atheist' days, when we were all like, "WTF is 'new' about being an atheist?" In response (to the label 'New Atheist' being used to stereotype and smear, many of us joined in retaliation to these smears and identified our opponents as 'accommodationists', eventually coming up with a Slymepit-like come-back by calling ourselves gnu atheists.

Bit of history now, that's starting to make more sense in hindsight: I myself was at one point attempting to work *with* Ophelia Benson and a few other regular commentariati to develop the idea of gnu atheism. I proposed to start a wiki, and as a kind of 'demo', I threw together the wiki http://gnuatheism.wikispaces.com/, filled it up with a bunch of 'stub pages' and a few sample articles, and invited OB and these few other commentariati to join as members.

Initially, OB was enthusiastic, and that's how we started corresponding by email. But as soon as she saw the wiki, she turned rather cold. I guessed at the time that she wasn't too impressed with a bunch of stubs and 'red links', perhaps because she's more used to a mature wiki like Wikipedia, rather than a fresh upstart wiki like I was trying. I had previously been an active contributor to the *original* wiki at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors, and that wiki is much more rough-shod than wikipedia. But that's the wiki culture I came from, and lots of newcomers to it tended not to understand it, so I kinda figured the same thing had happened there with OB. She even left some comment somewhere vaguely reminiscent of 'newcomer shock' at the WikiWikiWeb (the original evar!).

Now I'm wondering if perhaps there was more to it. Because, as part of filling in some sample articles and stubs, I used my own interpretation of 'gnu atheism' to fill in some blanks (with the wiki-understanding that these were entirely! open to revision and even deletion by future members of the wiki). Basically, my version of 'gnu atheism' is very very similar to how you all have seen me interacting here there and everywhere. I stand my ground, ask a shitload of questions Socratic-style, return fire when necessary, but avoid escalations and always always try my best to stay strictly within reasonable ethical boundaries, though I certainly push those boundaries quite a bit in regards to free speech. That is, in fact!, the whole point of gnu atheism, as I see it. More here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/works ... discussion

So, perhaps this (unknown to me, at the time) lurking, underlying, *major* ideological difference between my view and OB's view had more to do with it than I thought until now. Just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised. (And I *definitely* won't be surprised, and I'm 'calling it' now, when OB denies that this was the reason, and makes up a completely random reason, such as 'boredom', which she had never expressed to anyone, including me, up until she published this predicted denial. And that won't prove anything either way, but I love making true predictions, so why not?)

More backstory: Some time after the tragic :( end of the gnuatheism wiki project (my ADHD makes it nearly impossible to do something like that on my own for very long), there was EG, but I'm going to fast-forward past that >> Brian Sapient started a new project, called Atheism United, which I got very excited about, seeing it as an extension of another idea I had been working on privately for many years, which I call 'foundationism', and which, again, bears many similarities to how I've been working against A+/FTB over these many months, and which bears *many many* similarities with this effort of Michael Nugent's, which is why I got so interested and supportive of it from the beginning.

Anyway, Atheism United: Sapient started a wiki for it, and I got pretty deeply involved in that, but, again tragically :( some internal 'vision' conflicts arose, and, long story short, I quit that project, while still retaining friendly relations with Sapient and remaining a forum member of RRS. Sapient, as far as I know, is still pursuing his project, and I wish him success with it, but it's not the same thing I wanted to work on.

I want something much broader and more inclusive, and more 'foundational', and my recent comments collecting various other comments from Nugent's threads have been because I've seen similarities with what people are saying, and with this (unfortunately, still a bit nebulous) idea of 'foundationism' I've been trying to hammer out for years. In contrast, I've been working on 'wonderism' for almost the exact same amount of time (the two ideas are complementary, one general (foundationism), and one very specific (wonderism)), but I have way more written about wonderism (still rather sparse, I would say, but still way more) than I have about foundationism.

Strangely, the more 'basic' idea is harder to explicate than the more 'derived' idea. :think:

Rewind! <<<<<<< Okay, back to doubtthat's comment, and how i think he/she has a point: Atheism, *on its own*, *cannot* serve as the *foundation* for anything. It is a lack of belief, nothing more. It's not even a 'conclusion', it's just a descriptor, like 'bald'.

That's why so many say, "Well if you don't believe in God, what *do* you believe in?" And they are expecting some grand, god-like dogma to be the answer. And modern atheists, e.g. gnu atheists, infuriate them when they *don't* reply with one thing, but many many things, like science, reason, compassion, etc. etc.

So, to *encapsulate* what I believe in, I came up with the word 'wonder', which is 'the foundation' of so many other things that I've eventually come to embrace and/or believe. Hence, 'wonderism'. That's what I believe in, instead of any god or gods.

But *not everybody is going to agree* with me. Obviously! No brainer. And I have *no problem* with that, and indeed think diversity is a strength.

So, how can I and others cooperate on diverse ideals, even if we don't dogmatically share any *one* specific doctrine or religion or philosophy or whatever you want to call it? And that's where the idea of foundationism comes in.

Don't agree with me on X? Okay, well, let's take a step back. How about W? No? Okay, let's jump a bit further back, how about J? Still no?! Wow! Okay, even further. How about G? :snooty: F? :snooty: Surely, we must agree on D!? :snooty: REALLY?! Wow, that's pretty bizarre, but whatever. Okokokokok, what about A? :? :think: :| Come on! You can't deny A, right? :| :think:

:shifty:
:)
Yes! We found *something* in common. It's a starting point at least! Yay! :dance: :clap:

(Then, a bit later....) Now what about B?

----

So, that's kinda the basic idea of foundationism. At least, that's the starting point. Once you've found some 'common ground', obviously you're going to want to find out *how much* common ground there is. So, that's why I promote *very very basic* foundational concepts like the pragmatic theory of truth and prediction (basis of science, defeater of faith), equality (maybe even going so far as humanism, which I'd put further down the line, since it includes many concepts, not just a couple; but if we're going to get past this dogmatic feminism thing, maybe embracing humanism as 'foundational' is the right thing to do; not sure on this yet :think: ).

Anyway, I forget what my original point was, so I'm not sure if I got to it or not. But that's enough for one comment.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Hey @mundanematt, it's clear from the last 24 hours you're a bully. @SendGrid supports me. Stop trolling.
Expand
[/quote]

More than likely that was the comment that did it. It is one thing to act like an idiot in public it is quite another to drag your employers into your idiocy. I really hope she is blacklisted and has a hell of time finding a new job.

One idiot on SendGrid's facebook page likens her being fired to lynching...

Altair

Post by Altair »

There are so many tweets out there that gain a fascinating new dimension after that SendGrid post

Details

benmarks benmarks ‏@benmarks 17h

@adriarichards It's fascinating... your detractors fail to realize that if the guys weren't in the wrong, they'd still be employed.
Details
:think:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

LMU wrote:
Wow. I'm curious what the official reasoning will be. I can understand the point of view that certain kinds of humor can make you uncomfortable and feel unsafe or unwelcome, but being afraid that someone at any time might take something you said as offensive and get you fired is just as likely if not more to make you feel unsafe and unwelcome.
Likely it will be something along the lines of:

While acting as a representative of the company, she brought unwanted negative attention to the company name. (Not for the reporting to the conference organizers, but likely for the twitter and blog representations of the event. Also for the "Sendgrid has my back" comment)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Sulaco wrote:

Expand
More than likely that was the comment that did it. It is one thing to act like an idiot in public it is quite another to drag your employers into your idiocy. I really hope she is blacklisted and has a hell of time finding a new job.

One idiot on SendGrid's facebook page likens her being fired to lynching...[/quote]

Since we pitters are so good at prognostication : I predict the Richards woman will be hired by someone else before March ends, while the guy who made the double entendre, will not.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I also wouldnt be surprised if this was a case of Twitter/Facebook cracked accounts.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Oh yeah, original point: Atheism *cannot* be a foundation. So, I came up with wonderism, which immediately prompted, "but what about everyone else?" And so that's the whole purpose of developing foundationism *in the first place*. To be such a *minimalist*, basic 'philosophy', or maybe just a simple set of principles, such that: In theory, *any* 'reasonable' person on the entire planet *could* agree to it *without* accepting it as any kind of *dogma*. Very much like Nugent's Eight choices... post.

Once we have a 'working version' of foundationism, which is *very much* like Nugent's first point in his A proposed agenda... post, especially the part about figuring out a *process*, rather than getting too caught up in the minutiae of *specific issues*, then we can *at the very very least* have a *starting basis* of *agreement*, on which we can *build further agreement*.

[If you find the use of *stars* excessive there, pretend they are more like wiki links, meaning, there's a specific implied meaning by those words, like *agreement* for example. Unfortunately, I also used *stars* for pseudo-bold, so it's a bit mixed up. Apologies.]

Remick

Post by Remick »

Wonderist wrote:This is a core, central issue. This issue of overlap, and non-mutual-exclusivity.
(Is Remick an SP? Does anyone know how to contact him/her? )
136 Remick March 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

@doubtthat 123.

I’ve enjoyed it as well.

As to the disagreement, I certainly agree, with skepticism. I imagine skeptical movements will continue to shift focus again and again, from one subject to the next, and back again.

Why does Atheism? It has one subject. Several issues affect it. But it is by and large a single point.

Atheists can be feminist and vice versa. But why would an atheist movement be concerned with feminist issues that are largely outside of its single subject? It isn’t really an atheist movement then is it. It is a feminist one. So lets call it what it is.

If you are an atheist and a feminist, why would you try to make an atheist movement do things that have nothing to do with atheism? Even if they all agree with you. Why not join a Feminist movement if that is your focus? There are plenty of spaces for overlap between the two movements, but to try to say that to be part of the atheist movement, you have to be totally onboard with a feminist movement, is out of place and frankly wrong to do.

There are atheists who aren’t feminists, and there are feminists who aren’t atheists. Why try to force them all together, rather than just allow them to come together on issues that are common?
Hi.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Religious nutters - what can you do? I did wonder how the woman showed her children were "clearly Jewish".
Hmmmm. Birth certificate?

I am struggling to prevent myself from laughing every time I try to contemplate the implications of Jewish women deciding to wear a burka, ignoring the objections of the men and indeed defying the the patriarchy in order to do so.

You would think it would be the reverse. The patriarchy insisting on a burka and the women saying no, instead ... I give up ... LMAO.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

justinvacula wrote:http://teenskepchick.org/2013/03/20/evi ... epchick%29

Rape culture is not a claim - it is a noun! Checkmate skeptics! A writer for Teen Skepchick responds to a recent piece of mine...
teen skepchick??? When did that happen?

Also the 'Bad Idea T-shirt' add I recieved has a women bending over in a tanktop showing her cleavage :lol:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

[youtube]UfJCNJScumk[/youtube]

GO to 1:25

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Adria Richards got two sacked?

Greg Laden is currently yanking out his pubic hair, out of jealousy!
Actually I believe it is only one.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5404365
mr-hank 1 day ago | link

The PSF did not kick us out, they pulled us from the main convention and got our side of the story. I gave a statement, apologized and thanked them for upholding the cons integrity. They felt I was sincere and let us leave of our own accord. I was also the only one who was let go.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Yep - looks like she hasn't gotten around to updating her twitter profile yet -- still says "Developer Evangelist for @sendgrid." What a stupid, toxic person.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/ ... 999&crop=0

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

The irony. An a+ mod: 'That said, explicit isn't necessarily verbal. As in everything, context matters. '

They make stuff up as they go. A word or action is always offensive no matter what the context. Now it is? This SJW stuff is a complete mess.